Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And From The Other Side of the Pond… – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,801
edited June 16 in General
And From The Other Side of the Pond… – politicalbetting.com

We’ve all forgotten (what with the excitement of Starmer v Sunak), but the US Presidential election continues… and on Betfair exchange, Trump has moved into a commanding lead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,682
    First!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010
    Second like the LibDems?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,870
    Third
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,472
    Just laid Biden for the Dem nomination. They can't keep this going, it's getting to the point where it is cruel.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,993
    Duguid civil war latest:

"I want to express my sincere thanks to everyone who sent me messages of support after the news I shared last night about my not being put forward as the Scottish Conservative & Unionist candidate for Aberdeenshire North and Moray East.
    I must however clear up a factual inaccuracy. It has been reported and repeated that I am “unable to stand”. This is simply incorrect. Having been adopted by local members, I was very much looking forward to campaigning - albeit in a different format from normal. It was not my decision not to stand.
    It was the SCU Management Board that decided not to allow me to be the candidate although none of them had visited me. They apparently took this decision based on two visits from the Party Director and without receiving any professional medical prognosis.
    Needless to say I am very saddened by the way this whole episode has unfolded and it would be wrong of me to pretend otherwise. But the process to adopt Douglas Ross to replace me as the candidate for Aberdeenshire North and Moray East is now well underway.
    For my part I would just like to say that it really has been an honour and privilege to serve you for the last 7 years."
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,136
    There's a focaldata poll due later with post farage fieldwork and an ipsos Ecosse
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 292
    https://www.gbnews.com/politics/reform-uk-overtaking-conservatives-midlands-north-poll

Reform ahead of the Tories in the Midlands and the North!
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    NEW: First Westminster voting intention since Farage announced his candidacy.

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

F/w 5th - 6th June. Changes vs. 27th May 2024. 1,056 adults in Great Britain.
  • Options

Duguid civil war latest:

"I want to express my sincere thanks to everyone who sent me messages of support after the news I shared last night about my not being put forward as the Scottish Conservative & Unionist candidate for Aberdeenshire North and Moray East.
    I must however clear up a factual inaccuracy. It has been reported and repeated that I am “unable to stand”. This is simply incorrect. Having been adopted by local members, I was very much looking forward to campaigning - albeit in a different format from normal. It was not my decision not to stand.
    It was the SCU Management Board that decided not to allow me to be the candidate although none of them had visited me. They apparently took this decision based on two visits from the Party Director and without receiving any professional medical prognosis.
    Needless to say I am very saddened by the way this whole episode has unfolded and it would be wrong of me to pretend otherwise. But the process to adopt Douglas Ross to replace me as the candidate for Aberdeenshire North and Moray East is now well underway.
    For my part I would just like to say that it really has been an honour and privilege to serve you for the last 7 years."

That second from last sentence is far politer than I would have been
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,490
    2-1 is too much in a neck-and-neck two horse race, and while I suspect it also prices in a Biden withdrawal, tbh a Trump one (make your own jokes here), forced or otherwise, seems equally likely?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,360
    @e_casalicchio

The @focaldataHQ polling puts Nigel Farage *one point* behind Rishi Sunak on who would make the best PM ... while for @RedfieldWilton Farage is preferred (albeit still in negative numbers)
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

Plus 7 but only -1 Tories..........
    2019 Con Lab switchers going reform??
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    eek said:

Duguid civil war latest:

That second from last sentence is far politer than I would have been
    Indeed but perhaps he is biding his time. I suspect that a lot of hands are being stayed until 22:01 on polling day.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,954
    edited June 6

Duguid civil war latest:

Bit shit for him. Buuuuut he was a MP* of a party (eliding the SCUP/C&UP distinction) which adopted this sort of policy in government when it comes to the disabled:

"They apparently took this decision based on two visits from the Party Director and without receiving any professional medical prognosis."

*Haven't checked his actual voting record, to be fair.

• Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,105

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

Is this the Survation or someone else?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,214
    tlg86 said:

Just laid Biden for the Dem nomination. They can't keep this going, it's getting to the point where it is cruel.

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."

Misattributed to Mark Twain, but probably apposite here.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,081

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

Labour have lost their monopoly on the working class anti-Tory vote.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,375

Duguid civil war latest:

Back in ‘97 upsetting a significant part of the Local Association cost the Conservatives the Castle Point seat.
    Subsequently a deal of humble pie was eaten.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,906

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

Yes, it's a mistake to think that Tory and Reform voters are fungible. In very special circumstances in 2019 Boris managed to attract both tribes, but in my view most Reform voters are normally Tory-sceptic if not outright Tory-hostile.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,291
    I totally agree with @rcs1000
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

And Con LibDem switchers going Reform???
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,145
    Reform is taking a lot of 2019 Tories who had thought of voting Labour (or just not voting) it seems.

People keep talking past each other here. From one perspective (2019) yes that’s Reform eating into the Tory vote. But it’s part of the Tory vote that was on its way back to Labour, having voted for it pre-Brexit.

The Tories at 15-20% are at their floor. No further transfer to reform is possible and that got Reform to where is was: but the 2019 Tories can and are moving over to Farage, boosting them further.

That’s what I see in the numbers anyway.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,472
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."

Misattributed to Mark Twain, but probably apposite here.
    Quite probably, but the debates will be a complete car crash.
  • Options
    Focal data is
    Lab 44 (+1)
    Con 25 (-1 )
    Ref 14 (+2)
    No other figs yet
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,970
    ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

Which pollster!?!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,406

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

Yes, a bit that, but also 2019 Con DKs switching to Reform would cut the Labour share more than the Tory one, even with Labour not losing any voters at all. So possibly not as dramatic as it looks in the headline figures.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,418

Focal data is
    Lab 44 (+1)
    Con 25 (-1 )
    Ref 14 (+2)
    No other figs yet

CON might get three figures on that!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,226
    Labour down four in Survation too. Reform have clearly had a nibble.

But no Debate Bounce for Sunak.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 292
    BMG has it

LAB 42 CON 23 REF 16 LD 9

Reform totals are not outliers
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,360
    @HugoGye
    🚨 NEW POLL 🚨

Farage effect has taken hold - Tories fall by 4pts and Reform rises by 5pts compared to last week, leaving Labour with a 19pt lead

@BMGResearch
    findings - Lab 42% Con 23% Ref 16% LD 9% Grn 6%
  • Options
    USA: I can only see Biden winning. And possibly comfortably.

But WARNING I have been wrong before!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    I think Baillie Gifford will come out of the Dissolution of the Book Festivals with its reputation enhanced. More people will know it sought to support book festivals & is a future-focused & environmentally friendly fund, & anyone sensible can see they're not the bad guys here

https://x.com/HJoyceGender/status/1798752317141041227
  • Options

Hard to say. Move to Reform might have been larger without it?

Reform looking to be the home of the protest vote this election. Not the LibDems.

Greens holding up. Protest vote from Labour?
  • Options
    Poll Overload! Poll Overload, Poll Overload!...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,906
    On thread - ordinarily, in the UK, you get quite good odds on Republican candidates: the UK tends not to understand the attraction of, and therefore underestimate, the chances of a republican victory. (This is my long term general impression - happy to be corrected if anyone has actual data!) I wonder why it is not happening this time?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887

Survation had implausible high Lab shares the last couple of polls. They had 44% a month ago, so an element of reversion to mean on top of the Farage bubble.

I suspect 43% would make Starmer very happy.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,843
    On topic: I agree that Joe is value at this price. Esp because (and this is new information for people) I have done a deal with my God whereby I've agreed to give up 75 seats of Labour majority in return for Trump coming up short in November.
  • Options
    boulay said:

What’s the situation with Farage’s French girlfriend by the way? Is his push for power and then ban immigrants a really over complicated way of dumping her?

“Sorry darling, I love you and all that but I’ve just banned immigrants so we must part our ways.”

Well, his wife was German.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,550
    Cookie said:

On thread - ordinarily, in the UK, you get quite good odds on Republican candidates: the UK tends not to understand the attraction of, and therefore underestimate, the chances of a republican victory. (This is my long term general impression - happy to be corrected if anyone has actual data!) I wonder why it is not happening this time?

It might be still happening - ie the odds should be even shorter
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,101
    edited June 6

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

I think several things going on. Move to Reform probably from both Con and Lab. Move Lab to Green. Possibly Con getting back a bit of previous support , cancelling out move to Reform.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Reform is taking a lot of 2019 Tories who had thought of voting Labour (or just not voting) it seems.

People keep talking past each other here. From one perspective (2019) yes that’s Reform eating into the Tory vote. But it’s part of the Tory vote that was on its way back to Labour, having voted for it pre-Brexit.

The Tories at 15-20% are at their floor. No further transfer to reform is possible and that got Reform to where is was: but the 2019 Tories can and are moving over to Farage, boosting them further.

Except the Tory floor is based on the assumption that they are the legitimate standard-bearer of the right. Crossover would kick that away and give permission to tribal voters to defect.
  • Options

The focus by November will be on the economy.

Trump will be trying to stand in the way of an express train.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887

Reform looking to be the home of the protest vote this election. Not the LibDems.

Have you met any Reform voters yet, or do you still think it myth and hype?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,800
    boulay said:

What’s the situation with Farage’s French girlfriend by the way? Is his push for power and then ban immigrants a really over complicated way of dumping her?

“Sorry darling, I love you and all that but I’ve just banned immigrants so we must part our ways.”

He seems to like a bit of the foreign. His first wife was Irish, his second German, now a French long term girlfriend.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    Unsurprising. It was always a question if Red Wall advances could be retained, but the total abandonment coupled with underperformance in the southern Shires will be devastating.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,884
    The Reform surge is on.

With that kind of movement surely next YouGov will be Crossover?
  • Options
    Taz said:

I see Douglas Ross’ political career is over, and if it isn’t, it should be. Chicken run to displace ill but recovering colleague. Hope he loses.

Not sure what you're on about. David Duguid has clearly been incapacited and a chunk of his new constituency has been represented by Douglas Ross for the last seven years so makes sense for him to take over as he's a know quantity locally. And ss he's safely in Holyrood anyway hardly a chicken run - in fact he's taking quite a reputational risk if he fails to win. Much safer to have found someone else to stand. Of course, if he does make it to Westminster then he could be quite an influential player in the much-reduced Tory parliamentary party. But will leave the MSP group the job of finding a new leader.
    Ross is *already* both an MSP and Scottish Tory leader. He had announced he was quitting Westminster to focus on Holyrood. And refereeing. But obviously has changed his mind...
    The way the two main parties have treated candidate selection in this election is just awful. Completely treating local parties and local democracy as an inconvenience. Local members must do what they are instructed to.
    I love it - not that they are riding roughshod, but that they cannot ignore that the centralised power was always there for potential use.

They can now properly decide as Members if they want to do something about it, to change the way the party operates. It would a long grind to have that happen. Or do they just kowtow?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Three polls with big reform gains now and all of them showing a substantial fall for Labour. Thats…interesting

https://x.com/robfordmancs/status/1798754156959653998
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,319
    Ghedebrav said:

2-1 is too much in a neck-and-neck two horse race, and while I suspect it also prices in a Biden withdrawal, tbh a Trump one (make your own jokes here), forced or otherwise, seems equally likely?

The higher than normal risk of either party withdrawing suggests this might be a market in which to lay the other one, rather than backing your own fancy.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    Foxy said:

Still only found two! And they were not exactly shy....
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,550
    edited June 6

The voter who voted tory in 2019 cos they liked Johnson, Gonna vote Labour in 2024 because there is no Johnson and Richard Tice is too posh but now voting Farage as he is known and liked by this type of voter - hence the nibble from labour I think. Reform will get more of these voters in the Red Wall and I suggest that seat calculators have too much of a uniform approach to Reform votes when they will actually concentrate in certain red wall seats and hence win more than predicted by uniform swing - perhaps up to 10
  • Options

I think Baillie Gifford will come out of the Dissolution of the Book Festivals with its reputation enhanced. More people will know it sought to support book festivals & is a future-focused & environmentally friendly fund, & anyone sensible can see they're not the bad guys here

Once upon a time, I was a partner at a startup equity research company, Arete Research. Baillie Gifford had been a client, and my boss and I flew to Edinburgh to meet with them on their request. For 90 minutes, we presented on what we liked, and didn't like, and trends, etc. At the end of the presentation, the Baillie Gifford lead said to us "Thanks very much for that, much appreciated. Just so you know, we won't be paying you in future."

Getting fired is fine.

Being dragged up to Scotland, and then having our brains picked, and then not being paid for it...

Well, put it like this, I thought it was pretty poor behaviour.
  • Options

Three polls with big reform gains now and all of them showing a substantial fall for Labour. Thats…interesting

OTOH there's BMG
  • Options
    edited June 6

I hope you're right, but it was so narrow last time, Biden is underperforming with some groups, Trump bizarrely remains unassailable with 90% of Republicans, and this time he is planning in advance how to use state power to challenge results.

That Trump has succeeded in avoiding trial for seeking to overthrow an election or pressure election officials to change results is barmy, but is another reason he could win.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,105
    kinabalu said:

On topic: I agree that Joe is value at this price. Esp because (and this is new information for people) I have done a deal with my God whereby I've agreed to give up 75 seats of Labour majority in return for Trump coming up short in November.

The key thing here is that they have scheduled the first Trump-Biden debate for June. That is unusually early and before the conventions. My take is that Biden is being given a trial run out. If the debate goes well and the polls narrow then great, if the debate goes badly and the polls widen, then enormous pressure will be brought to bear on him to stand down. A contested convention is risky but better than a surefire loser.
  • Options

biggles said:

Except the Tory floor is based on the assumption that they are the legitimate standard-bearer of the right. Crossover would kick that away and give permission to tribal voters to defect.
    No, they won't. There are large numbers of Tories who would never vote for Farage.
  • Options
    Luke Tryl at MiC musing that Farage might eat into a broader base like UKIP did rather than just nabbing Con as they had been. Might we start seeing 30s for Labour and Ref Con close in the low 20s?
  • Options

BMG has it

That’s LAB -1 CON -4 REF +5 LIB =0

The Faragasm is real.

• Options

But given the split in the right wing voter would 33% be enough for LAB? They didn't get that last time and no one likes LAB really.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Once upon a time, I was a partner at a startup equity research company, Arete Research. Baillie Gifford had been a client, and my boss and I flew to Edinburgh to meet with them on their request. For 90 minutes, we presented on what we liked, and didn't like, and trends, etc. At the end of the presentation, the Baillie Gifford lead said to us "Thanks very much for that, much appreciated. Just so you know, we won't be paying you in future."

Getting fired is fine.

Being dragged up to Scotland, and then having our brains picked, and then not being paid for it...

As Silicon Valley Tv show called it you were brain raped.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,629

boulay said:

He seems to like a bit of the foreign. His first wife was Irish, his second German, now a French long term girlfriend.
    What did they do to the poor man to make him so scared of foreigners?
  • Options
    Polling *gap* between Lab and Con seems to be pretty consistent across the polls. Reds 18-20pp ahead, even if the headline figures are more variable.

Four weeks till polling day - we’ve had a third of the campaign done, and that’s without being drowned out by the footy noise. Looking bleak for the Blues.
  • Options
    The Sunak Debate Bounce appears to be a Reverse Bounce.

Hmm.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

Farage enters the fray... Lab and LibDems take the biggest hit. Which seems a little... odd...
  • Options

The voter who voted tory in 2019 cos they liked Johnson, Gonna vote Labour in 2024 because there is no Johnson and Richard Tice is too posh but now voting Farage as he is known and liked by this type of voter - hence the nibble from labour I think
    Yup. You could easily see a scenario where Red Wall seats come into play, potentially. It needs those voters to realise what is going on, but if they do..,.
  • Options

biggles said:

No, they won't. There are large numbers of Tories who would never vote for Farage.
    That doesn't negate my point. Some wouldn't but some would.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    edited June 6
    tlg86 said:

It’s really awful to watch, on a human level.

I’m sure many of us have seen the deterioration of elderly relatives, but without it being headline news every day.
  • Options

BMG has it

That’s LAB -1 CON -4 REF +5 LIB =0

The Faragasm is real.

Is it lasting?

I don't think it matters massively - if it means they end up at say 10, rather than start at 10 and get squeezed to 5, it's job done of Tory destruction.
  • Options

The voter who voted tory in 2019 cos they liked Johnson, Gonna vote Labour in 2024 because there is no Johnson and Richard Tice is too posh but now voting Farage as he is known and liked by this type of voter - hence the nibble from labour I think
    Yup. You could easily see a scenario where Red Wall seats come into play, potentially. It needs those voters to realise what is going on, but if they do..,.
    It's turning into the election that 2019 would have been without Johnson. The lack of enthusiasm for Starmer could turn out to be a very important factor.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,629
    Foxy said:

I posted earlier with my struggle about the reform figure and Mark’s experiences show the weirdness as there must be plenty of constituencies where their appeal is close to zero so there must be ones where they are 99%. I’m hoping but doubting there is a snafu in all the polls but that’s hoping rather than belief.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,843
    Cookie said:

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

Yes, it's a mistake to think that Tory and Reform voters are fungible. In very special circumstances in 2019 Boris managed to attract both tribes, but in my view most Reform voters are normally Tory-sceptic if not outright Tory-hostile.
    I view them as our equivalent (although thankfully a pale imitation both in nature and number) of the Trump MAGA base in the US.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

I view them as our equivalent (although thankfully a pale imitation both in nature and number) of the Trump MAGA base in the US.
    Which of course is made up of a significant proportion of traditional democrat voters.

The shift is less right / left, more the winners vs losers of globalisation. The losers have tried all the traditional parties / politicians, are pissed off and willing to kick over the apple cart. That's Trump, that's Brexit, maybe now Farage.
  • Options
    Lee Andersons prospects just shot up anyway
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,076
    rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

Farage enters the fray... Lab and LibDems take the biggest hit. Which seems a little... odd...
    LibDems yoyoing up and down 2% here and there is MoE stuff really.

The 4% Labour seems odd, but I could believe there's a cohort of generically disaffected voters who've switched from "we're going to give those Tories a kicking by voting for the boring grey lawyer" to "we're going to give those Tories a kicking by voting for the affable geezer who likes a pint".
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,880
    biggles said:

2 years ago their "floor" was 30%
  • Options

Focal data is
    Lab 44 (+1)
    Con 25 (-1 )
    Ref 14 (+2)
    No other figs yet

CON might get three figures on that!
    Getting to three figures is now a par result for them. A good result is 150.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,101
    rcs1000 said:

Getting fired is fine.

I know someone who worked for Baillie Gifford. Didn't like them much as an employee for similar reasons to yours.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,300
    Is this based on sub-samples or is it genuine?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

biggles said:

And under Johnson it probably still would be.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

LAB 43 (-4)
    CON 23 (-1)
    LD 9 (-2)
    GRN 5 (+2)
    RFM 15 (+7)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 3 (-1)

LibDems yoyoing up and down 2% here and there is MoE stuff really.

The 4% Labour seems odd, but I could believe there's a cohort of generically disaffected voters who've switched from "we're going to give those Tories a kicking by voting for the boring grey lawyer" to "we're going to give those Tories a kicking by voting for the affable geezer who likes a pint".
    It seems straightforward to me. Con-Lab switchers now becoming Con-Ref switchers.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,954

Farooq said:

biggles said:

And under Johnson it probably still would be.
    Under Peel it would be even better. But both of them ran into reasons ...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,145
    Hahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry. Sober cough, It’s wrong to laugh at the misf

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*ejaculates*
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sub samples of the YouGov poll
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

I’m sure many of us have seen the deterioration of elderly relatives, but without it being headline news every day.
    What I don't get is why people think Trump is less in decline. His ramblings, never the most coherent, are nothing but stream of consciousness self focused nonsense, yet even on his own side Biden is the one people worry about.
  • Options
    Two years ago I could have been persuaded to stand for the local Council. Now, no way.
    And although I’m older than Biden I think I come across as a bit more on the ball.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    Andy_JS said:

Subsamples from yesterday's Yougov...,
  • Options

Cookie said:

It might be still happening - ie the odds should be even shorter
    Well: Trump outperformed the polls in 2016 and 2020. On the other hand, the Republicans meaningfully underperformed in 2022.

My gut is that - like the last two elections- is that it's going to come down to a handful of states: Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Georgia and Nevada.

The polls show Michigan and Wisconsin as ties, but Trump leading in the others, albeit by very narrow margins. My gut says that Biden holds on in the rust belt, but loses in the sunshine States.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,934
    edited June 6

biggles said:

That doesn't negate my point. Some wouldn't but some would.
    Usual echo chamber caveats apply, but most of my right of centre friends would rather push hot needles into their genitalia than lend a vote to a man that many of us regard as a neo-fascist who was called out as a racist by none other than his housemaster at school and separately, the founder of UKIP, Alan Sked.

(None of my friends are into CBT so far as I know)
  • Options
    Don't forget during GE 2010 there were one or two polls where LD were ahead...
  • Options
    edited June 6
    If RefCon start getting 40 plus (BMG is 39 as is Survation) and Labour dip under 40 some very weird scenarios and results become possible - individual seat wise, NOT overall result
  • Options

It's turning into the election that 2019 would have been without Johnson. The lack of enthusiasm for Starmer could turn out to be a very important factor.
    Lay the turnout.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

What I don't get is why people think Trump is less in decline. His ramblings, never the most coherent, are nothing but stream of consciousness self focused nonsense, yet even on his own side Biden is the one people worry about.
    Because physically he still looks in reasonable shape. He doesn't have to be led by his wife (not that she would) around and unable to work out where he is. The fact he is a large man and a chubster I think makes him look physically strong, where as Biden looks very thin and frail.

His ramblings are incoherent because he is making stuff up on the spot and bullshitting, also a lot of those rallies he is a bit like a comedian trying new material. He spews all sorts of shit and see what sticks i.e. get the crowd cheering. Then that gets filtered down into his greatest hits like lock her up.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry. Sober cough, It’s wrong to laugh at the misf

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*ejaculates*

How’s the weather in Odessa?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,300

It isn't particularly interesting IMO. Farage was always going to be attractive to some Labour voters.
  • Options

Don't forget during GE 2010 there were one or two polls where LD were ahead...

And at that point the Tory media went nuts and there was a rather sustained campaign against Clegg.

Would they bother this time if the challenger is Farage? I think they’d be more likely to try and accentuate the surge rather than defeat it.
  • Options
    All eyes on YouGov for the Times in the morning!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069
    boulay said:

Is this really the best you can do?
  • Options
    edited June 6

kinabalu said:

The key thing here is that they have scheduled the first Trump-Biden debate for June. That is unusually early and before the conventions. My take is that Biden is being given a trial run out. If the debate goes well and the polls narrow then great, if the debate goes badly and the polls widen, then enormous pressure will be brought to bear on him to stand down. A contested convention is risky but better than a surefire loser.
    If there was a charismatic, young, popular Democrat ready to stand in and take the fight to Trump, then yes, that would be possible.

But there is no obvious successor. Harris is Vice President, but has the charisma of... well... something without charisma. She would certainly want her shot against Trump, but why would the Democrats dump Biden for her?

I would love to see Trump against Ossoff or Buttigieg: an articulate, "next generation" candidate. But I also also don't see any path for them win the Presidency to become the nominee.

So, unless Biden has a major health event, then I really don't see the path for an alternative candidate.
This discussion has been closed.