Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak is just like the Grand Old Duke of York? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,036

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

What would happen if a majority of MPs were against an election on 4th July?

They cannot, the FTPA was abolished.
    There’s an interesting constitutional question there regarding MPs resurrecting it but I can’t be arsed…
    They would have to resurrect it (somehow) before midnight on 30th. After that moment they are not MPs.
    One of the reasons why I can’t be arsed. It’s not a practical proposition
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,056
    edited May 22
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Leon Posts: 47,914
    3:07PM edited 3:08PM
    A friend of mine with some political connections says Yes there will be an election in July, and it will be announced around 5pm, before the news at 6

He sometimes gets things wildly wrong, and sometimes nails things completely

4 hours earlier

Scott_xP Posts:
    11:02AM
    @JasonGroves1

Westminster rumour mill in overdrive that Sunak is about to call election for July 4.
    Its interesting that it actually leaked a couple of days ago, with Fink saying he had heard this, but nobody could actually believe it and put it down to silly season.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,663

Has this been mentioned:

Nearly three in five Americans wrongly believe the US is in an economic recession, and the majority blame the Biden administration, according to a Harris poll conducted exclusively for the Guardian. The survey found persistent pessimism about the economy as election day draws closer.

The poll highlighted many misconceptions people have about the economy, including:

55% believe the economy is shrinking, and 56% think the US is experiencing a recession, though the broadest measure of the economy, gross domestic product (GDP), has been growing.
    49% believe the S&P 500 stock market index is down for the year, though the index went up about 24% in 2023 and is up more than 12% this year.
    49% believe that unemployment is at a 50-year high, though the unemployment rate has been under 4%, a near 50-year low.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/22/poll-economy-recession-biden

49% of Democrats think the USA is currently in recession.
    61% of Democrats think that inflation is currently increasing.

Apparently there's a 'vibecession' phenomenon.

Now this might be the fault of Sleepy Joe - or Trump or Brexit :wink: - or it might just be that people's expectations are increasing faster than which any government can meet.

And likely happening in other Western countries as well.

People are still shocked by the big price increases post COVID. A lot of people are saying “I can’t afford to do X anymore”.

This is how most people measure prosperity.
    I posted a chart from WSJ the other day that showed increase in family wealth is now 0% over the Biden presidency and heading downwards rapidly. Those who hold assets are doing well, those who don't have lost a huge amount of buying power.
    I recall - yes, that exactly.

For a large number of people - they’ve had some pay rises. But everything is murderously expensive.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,392
    Andy_JS said:

Starmer got 64.5% in Camden Town last time. Probably over 70% this time.

The mighty Feinstein confirmed he was standing against him yesterday. So 69%
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,804

The European elections where the (far) right are expected to make gains will fall in the middle of the campaign.

People didn't pay much attention to the Euroelection results in other countries when we were in the EU. I doubt many will now!
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,459
    Blimey! Wasn’t expecting this.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,448
    Andy_JS said:

Sunak has been offered a job he can't refuse, but they need him to start in September. So here we go, snap election, get demolished, a nice holiday and away to California.

Why else would he go now?

Is he really going to piss everyone off and take a job with a Silicon Valley tech company.
    Yes, I can exclusively reveal Rishi will be taking up a modelling job in Silicon Valley. It will involve him being scanned in intimate detail and being transformed into a cheerful grinning AI helperbot, to be known as "Neddy the Helpful Nerd".
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Labour faces series of crises if elected, internal dossier warns"

https://www.ft.com/content/b95976ff-d861-4baf-a168-fd262b4e2f95

Well yeah, who knew, lol! 😂
    It's possible that Sunak has seen that something even WORSE is coming down the line, and wants to get out of the way?
    Who knows, but if SKS is there in July the mood in PB starts to change. A short honeymoon and then the fun starts,

PB has been spending an inordinate amount of time rubbishing Sunak. Ive done it myself and slammed the Tories for being useless.

However the assumption that SKS is automatically going to be better than Sunak is just mad. PB has given little to no scrutiny to Starmer, and people like myself who say he needs to be put through the mill get criticised by the rose tinted mob. While were all patting ourselves on the back on how clever we are, nobody has done any serious due diligence on SKS.

There is a real chance that Starmer is just the same as Sunak but without the interesting bits. Theres also a chance that he;s worse a kind of UK Olaf Scholz - cometh the hour there is no man. He could be better but his lack of principles doesn't show much evidence of that. He's an establishment man.

So roll on December and we might have a clue at what he is able to do meanwhile buy popcorn before he bans it.

Yes, I agree. I fully expect the Labour government to be tremendously mediocre. I mean, look at them: Rachel Reeves, David Lammy, sweet Jesus. I'd be worried if they were governors at my daughters' schools, let alone running an entire country

But who knows. They might surprise on the upside. For the sake of my country, I hope so. Meanwhile if they screw everything up, even worse than the Tories, we can at least have the pleasure of laughing at them

FWIW I do think they will get a honeymoon, but it won't last long. A year max, and then the backlash will begin
    Im on a shorter period, too many "events".

I think they'll last longer than that. They'll inherit a much more benign situation than many imagine: inflation returning to pre-covid levels*, falling energy prices, an economy is much better health than it's painted. Some stability implied by a government with a working majority and five years to go. The SNP on the wane for now. A happy broadcast media.
    They'll try to stuff it up, but Starmer is no Corbyn even if he did sit on his front bench, and there's only so much damage that politicians can do in the short term if there is a generally fair wind blowing. I give them a whole term of never being more than 5 points behind in the polls.

*which reminds me, @BartholomewRoberts was always on about inflation falling back again - I haven't seen him recently - is he still around?
    Benign? It's the worst economic inheritance since WW2. And the state of the country's public assets is absolutely dire, everything needs fixing.

Even inflation is only temporarily down to 2.3% - the fall in energy prices 12 months ago will push it back up above 3% by August. That and the fact that there is literally nothing there to fund a pre-election Autumn giveaway is why he is going now.
    Youve just spent years saying everything the Tories have done is rubbish and how Labour would do it all so much better.

Nows your big chance,
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

5pm announcement confirmed

LOOK ON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR

A friend of mine with some political connections says Yes there will be an election in July, and it will be announced around 5pm, before the news at 6

Yes, you are important, and we all love you. Now go back to bed.
    Just havin a bit of fun, like

However it is true to say that my friend really nailed this, down to the timing of the announcement, so I believe that he does have a contact in Downing St. However, he won't have one for long....
    This sort of stuff is where political contacts are useful. They are less useful in situations like the 48 hours after the London election (not you I hasten to add) where all sort of “well placed” shite turned out to be…shite…
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,927
    He ran out of road in the end. Fair play for facing up to it. Here we go…
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,971
    Lennon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Lucky, lucky, lucky Paula Vennells.

Maybe not... she's got another 2 days to go - and the last day will be the most obviously inflammatory (postmasters reps asking questions - so will likely be much more directly confrontational judging from the experience of previous witnesses)
    Yes, Beer and friends strive relentlessly to tease outthe facts, but the Postmasters' reps are generally happy just to call the witnesses bastards.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,200

Has this been mentioned:

Nearly three in five Americans wrongly believe the US is in an economic recession, and the majority blame the Biden administration, according to a Harris poll conducted exclusively for the Guardian. The survey found persistent pessimism about the economy as election day draws closer.

The poll highlighted many misconceptions people have about the economy, including:

55% believe the economy is shrinking, and 56% think the US is experiencing a recession, though the broadest measure of the economy, gross domestic product (GDP), has been growing.
    49% believe the S&P 500 stock market index is down for the year, though the index went up about 24% in 2023 and is up more than 12% this year.
    49% believe that unemployment is at a 50-year high, though the unemployment rate has been under 4%, a near 50-year low.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/22/poll-economy-recession-biden

Now this might be the fault of Sleepy Joe - or Trump or Brexit :wink: - or it might just be that people's expectations are increasing faster than which any government can meet.

People are still shocked by the big price increases post COVID. A lot of people are saying “I can’t afford to do X anymore”.

I posted a chart from WSJ the other day that showed increase in family wealth is now 0% over the Biden presidency and heading downwards rapidly. Those who hold assets are doing well, those who don't have lost a huge amount of buying power.
    I recall - yes, that exactly.

For a large number of people - they’ve had some pay rises. But everything is murderously expensive.
    And people are still occasionally being surprised by price rises on infrequently-bought items. It'll take another year for people to stop feeling that they're being ripped off every time they go shopping...
  • Options
    Where is the lectern?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,547
    I wonder how many more defections were in the pipeline
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

It's possible that Sunak has seen that something even WORSE is coming down the line, and wants to get out of the way?
    Who knows, but if SKS is there in July the mood in PB starts to change. A short honeymoon and then the fun starts,

PB has been spending an inordinate amount of time rubbishing Sunak. Ive done it myself and slammed the Tories for being useless.

However the assumption that SKS is automatically going to be better than Sunak is just mad. PB has given little to no scrutiny to Starmer, and people like myself who say he needs to be put through the mill get criticised by the rose tinted mob. While were all patting ourselves on the back on how clever we are, nobody has done any serious due diligence on SKS.

There is a real chance that Starmer is just the same as Sunak but without the interesting bits. Theres also a chance that he;s worse a kind of UK Olaf Scholz - cometh the hour there is no man. He could be better but his lack of principles doesn't show much evidence of that. He's an establishment man.

So roll on December and we might have a clue at what he is able to do meanwhile buy popcorn before he bans it.

Yes, I agree. I fully expect the Labour government to be tremendously mediocre. I mean, look at them: Rachel Reeves, David Lammy, sweet Jesus. I'd be worried if they were governors at my daughters' schools, let alone running an entire country

But who knows. They might surprise on the upside. For the sake of my country, I hope so. Meanwhile if they screw everything up, even worse than the Tories, we can at least have the pleasure of laughing at them

FWIW I do think they will get a honeymoon, but it won't last long. A year max, and then the backlash will begin

I think they'll last longer than that. They'll inherit a much more benign situation than many imagine: inflation returning to pre-covid levels*, falling energy prices, an economy is much better health than it's painted. Some stability implied by a government with a working majority and five years to go. The SNP on the wane for now. A happy broadcast media.
    They'll try to stuff it up, but Starmer is no Corbyn even if he did sit on his front bench, and there's only so much damage that politicians can do in the short term if there is a generally fair wind blowing. I give them a whole term of never being more than 5 points behind in the polls.

*which reminds me, @BartholomewRoberts was always on about inflation falling back again - I haven't seen him recently - is he still around?
    Benign? It's the worst economic inheritance since WW2. And the state of the country's public assets is absolutely dire, everything needs fixing.

Even inflation is only temporarily down to 2.3% - the fall in energy prices 12 months ago will push it back up above 3% by August. That and the fact that there is literally nothing there to fund a pre-election Autumn giveaway is why he is going now.
    The economy will likely grow pretty smartly till the end of the decade. It doesn't matter if inflation is running at 3% if wage rises are running at 5-6%.

The whole period from February 2020 to Autumn 2023 was abnormal, not normal. Growth is normal.

The issue is whether people will feel better.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,521
    I don't think the rain is going to stop any time soon...

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,196

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Youve just spent years saying everything the Tories have done is rubbish and how Labour would do it all so much better.

Nows your big chance,
    Now's
  • Options
    Sky say he is going to do it from inside #10.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,629
    tlg86 said:

It's not stopped raining since I returned from Italy. YUK
  • Options

I am going to be unbearably smug as I predicted a July election at 20/1.

I have the bragging rights.

I thought youd be in tears as Lord Dave gets to head off to spend more time with his shepherd's hut
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,054

Where is the lectern?

Sky

The statement is to be inside Downing Street
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191

You'd think somebody in Downing St. would have an umbrella?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,396
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Well at least now we know who to blame ;)
  • Options
    Labour leads by 24% in Wales.

Wales Westminster VI (18-19 May):

Labour 43% (+3)
    Conservatives 19% (+1)
    Reform UK 15% (-3)
    Plaid Cymru 14% (–)
    Green 6% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 3% (-3)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 22-23 April

Welsh poll porn to kick us off
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,014

In front of a load of soggy journos.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,593
    My mate’s is a civil servant and they’ve had the nod from on high that it’s the 4th July.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,614
    tlg86 said:

It's unfair, but it's typical of Sunak. Call a summer election for the benefit of good weather; get rained on when you make your big announcement.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,927
    The only other thing I’d say is I have a feeling it would have been far worse for him if he’d waited til October. Maybe his advisors and private pollsters were saying the same thing to him. I don’t expect anything other than a shellacking, but maybe he’ll be able to save 200 seats. If it was left to the last possible moment, I think it could have been much worse.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,063
    A big step closer to an electoral sanity 'slap' across the Tory party's face and hopefully an eventual return of the David Gauke, Rory Stewart types - I hope.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,926
    Bugger. I am away cycling for 10 days in France smack in the middle of this. He was supposed to check in with me first.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,214
    Downing Street should get a Wimbledon-style retractable roof for days like this.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,475

Has this been mentioned:

Saying it doesn't necessarily make it true.

There are pay rises to go with the price rises.

Not to mention asset value rises - firstly housing and now shares/pensions.

But it does seem increasingly common for people to be claiming poverty even when they are certainly getting richer.

Similarly every oldie seems to think that their pensions increase is "all being taken back through tax" or that their increased winter fuel allowance 'doesn't count'.

I, at least, will admit to never having been as affluent as I am today.
  • Options
    Remarkable to think that the last General Election was: 2019 - before Covid, before Ukraine, before Gaza, before Brexit was actually DONE. And Corbyn was the Labour candidate

It feels like a lifetime ago
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,765
    Beth Rigby: Oliver Dowden, deputy PM, very much in favour of an early election because he feels the government has "momentum" with Rwanda, etc.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,752
    edited May 22
    This is a real leader from the Speccie which was (I believe) published today (online) or tomorrow (print)

Paywall: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/a-summer-election-is-suicide-for-the-tories/
    Free: https://archive.is/payxh
  • Options
    Come on! Get on with it!
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,804
    It's 17:03 and no election has been called. All those predictions for 5pm were awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,448
    Andy_JS said:

Beth Rigby: Oliver Dowden, deputy PM, very much in favour of an early election because he feels the government has "momentum" with Rwanda, etc.

Momentous like a lemming?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,865
    Andy_JS said:

Yes, look at their stunning momentum in the polls. The same sort of momentum skiers enjoy on a black piste.
  • Options

A big step closer to an electoral sanity 'slap' across the Tory party's face and hopefully an eventual return of the David Gauke, Rory Stewart types - I hope.

yes the type of people who end up as directors in the PO or managing blood transfusions. Just what we need.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    A general election when Scots have summer holidays booked? Nice one, aye.

https://x.com/paulhutcheon/status/1793230921769832583
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,014

It's 17:03 and no election has been called. All those predictions for 5pm were awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no! He's bottled it!
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,268
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 181
    Wimbledon clash. Any Tory-leaning tennis fans to be pissed off?
  • Options

Where is the lectern?

Eating fava beans.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703

Downing Street should get a Wimbledon-style retractable roof for days like this.

One day the threat of drones will mean there's a permanent roof over Downing Street.
  • Options
    mwadams said:
    I was just thinking the same. I feel like I am losing IQ points just watching.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,181
    In more important news we've got some classic bank holiday weather coming our way in London - thunder on Sunday, nothing but rain on Monday. Yet some people claim there isn't a conspiracy controlling our weather?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,365
    The first UK general election to be held in July since 1945
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,429
    edited May 22
    Starmer will be under some serious scrutiny now. Can he handle it>?
  • Options
    I assume he's going to do it inside but it would be lovely for him to announce it with that background of Tories out! Tories out! Tories out!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,151
    sbjme19 said:

Wimbledon clash. Any Tory-leaning tennis fans to be pissed off?

Flat stage in the Tour too. Cavendish breaking the stage record is not quite going to be World Cup winning levels of feelgood boost, I fear.
  • Options
    I just wonder how far Sunak has taken into account the US Election. Which made November and December that much more problematic.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

This is a real leader from the Speccie which was (I believe) published today (online) or tomorrow (print)

Paywall: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/a-summer-election-is-suicide-for-the-tories/

That leader article is genuinely delusional.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,149
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

4 hours earlier

Scott_xP Posts:
    11:02AM
    @JasonGroves1

Westminster rumour mill in overdrive that Sunak is about to call election for July 4.
    Everybody’s been speculating about it all day. We don’t need to invent imaginary insiders to make our speculation sound retrospectively more significant.
  • Options

Could be quite the echo.
  • Options
    Keeping everyone waiting. Clever move.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,138
    Andy_JS said:

GIN1138 said:

July election does seem bizarre doesn't it? If he wanted to get it over and done with early (and I don't blame him for that) why not do it on the day of the local elections?

He could probably have saved a couple of hundred Con Councillors?

Students at home in July perhaps.
    Robert Hayward on LBC saying the polls are more in line with locals i.e between 7% and 9% Labour lead.

90% of callers to LBC sticking with the Tories.

I have a bad feeling...
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Oh no! He's bottled it!
    Nah. He had just delivered it behind closed doors with no one to hear it so he can claim it was all fake news later on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,921
    The T20 World Cup Final is on June 29th.

Thanks Rishi.

Oooh, same day as a potential England last 16 match at Euro 2024.
  • Options
    MartinVegasMartinVegas Posts: 29
    Just got my overseas vote registration in. Rather dissapointingly, the website insists on going with the last place you registered to vote rather than the last place you lived in the UK. Turned my vote from being in a somewhat marginal seat (at least in 2019, probably safe Labour today) to a totally safe seat vote.

Oh, and before Rishi thinks this is one more for his tally because I'm an overseas voter...Nope.
  • Options
    Electoral Calculus has crashed...
  • Options
    He briefed a time, and then missed it. Numpty
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,024

Has this been mentioned:

Saying it doesn't necessarily make it true.

There are pay rises to go with the price rises.

Not to mention asset value rises - firstly housing and now shares/pensions.

But it does seem increasingly common for people to be claiming poverty even when they are certainly getting richer.

Similarly every oldie seems to think that their pensions increase is "all being taken back through tax" or that their increased winter fuel allowance 'doesn't count'.

I, at least, will admit to never having been as affluent as I am today.
    I'm definitely poorer than I was five years ago, and struggle more to get through the month more than I did. My salary has increased quite a lot, but my outgoings have increased by more, and inflation means that the capital I have is worth less. My house is worth more but given that I will always want to live in a house this doesn't feel like wealth which does me any good whatsoever.

It's kids' activities which are killing me. I rarely go out, I have quite basic requirements in clothing, I don't have a mortgage. Food has gone up but has actually started coming down again. But kids' activities are just going up and up and up and up. And because of working from home they have the opportunity to do so many more of them.

Again, its worth pointing out that a return of inflation to pre-covid levels doesn't mean a return of prices to pre-covid levels.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,449
    The lectern is here!!!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,151
    GIN1138 said:

Electoral Calculus has crashed...

Accuracy of its predictions unchanged
  • Options
    LECTERN!!!!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,054
    Lectern coming out
  • Options
    No crest.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Apropos of nothing much.

Christ, Beth Rigby is rubbish.

I don't know how Beth and Kay kept their jobs after partying through lockdown...
    Well Rishi did.

I wonder if Michael Watson will do a Comey and charge Rayner before the election.
  • Options

viewcode said:

What do you expect from the magazine that publishes pregnant girlfriend beater Rod Liddle, the racist Taki, and that roaster Sean Thomas.
  • Options
    Lectern!!!
  • Options

I assume he's going to do it inside but it would be lovely for him to announce it with that background of Tories out! Tories out! Tories out!

You will get your wish.
  • Options
    Lectern out. No crest
  • Options
    SOMEONE IS ATTACHING SOMETHING TO THE LECTERN
  • Options
    Leon said:

Bring back Liz Truss's bin bag
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    2 minute warning!
  • Options

viewcode said:

What do you expect from the magazine that publishes pregnant girlfriend beater Rod Liddle, the racist Taki, and that roaster Sean Thomas.
    I see that the latter has just published something amusing in Unherd
  • Options
    Leon said:

Rishi?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,598
    edited May 22

Starmer will be under some serious scrutiny now. Can he handle it>?

I've no idea, but it sounds unpleasant.

Or it did until you edited it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,414
    Shadow Cabinet busy cancelling all their summer holiday plans.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

A week ago today, I was in York, very sunny!
  • Options
    Pmqs Wed's for the full defection shuffle!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    Andy_JS said:

Keeping everyone waiting. Clever move.

He needed to change his pants??
  • Options
    Can we stop with the shit about who has the best pro

Andy_JS said:

GIN1138 said:

July election does seem bizarre doesn't it? If he wanted to get it over and done with early (and I don't blame him for that) why not do it on the day of the local elections?

He could probably have saved a couple of hundred Con Councillors?

Students at home in July perhaps.
    Robert Hayward on LBC saying the polls are more in line with locals i.e between 7% and 9% Labour lead.

90% of callers to LBC sticking with the Tories.

I have a bad feeling...
    It’s not really a “bad feeling”. You have been predicting a Tory win on here for as long as I can remember. It’s your prediction. Stick with it or say it’s all based on “feels”. Either way come up with something better than “90% of calls to LBC”. Sure, theTories might win, but you need to present more cogent evidence than a funny feeling in your water and 1992.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,449
    Here we go!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942
    This is great except for one thing - it clashes with a lot of sporting stuff I was planning to immerse myself in.
  • Options
    edited May 22
    I finished uni a week ago. All I wanted to do this summer was drink M&S cocktails in fields before embarking on 50 years of soul destroying work with little disposable income, followed by an overdue and likely impoverished retirement.

Now even that has seemingly been taken away.

https://x.com/electionmapsuk/status/1793276777428644010?s=61&t=zKbRKoZtYWU8Dmpp8GlX6Q
  • Options
    Here he is.
  • Options
    edited May 22
    Rigby: Ed Davey is already on his way to an important Tory marginal in Surrey.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,432

Speaking of Rory, there will be an emergency The Rest Is Politics at 5.30 and I dare say most other politics podcasts and news programmes as well. So long as they do not interfere with the Masterchef final at 8pm.
  • Options
    Resignation??????
  • Options
    He is getting pissed on with the rain.
  • Options
    Suit getting wet.
  • Options
    The heavy rain on his shoulders seems awful symbolic
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,392

Lectern coming out

Congratulations to it for finding the courage to speak up, after all those years, living a double life...
  • Options

Could be quite the echo.
    It's interesting how Autumn GEs have fallen out of favour. They were the most common time to hold a GE in the first 2/3rds of the 20th century but we haven't had once since 1974.
  • Options
    edited May 22
    Sunak standing in the rain for his speech sums it up really.

I almost feel a bit sorry for him.
This discussion has been closed.