Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak is just like the Grand Old Duke of York? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,415
    Chameleon said:

So what happens when Mr G Brady's postbox starts overflowing this afternoon?

Sunak rushes to the Palace.

There is no question that at moment he commands the House.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,017
    edited May 22
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@jamesrbuk
    I am hearing that there is currently a stage being built at the ExCeL for a Conservative Party event this evening – around 8pm.

Given reports of an announcement outside Number 10 around 5pm, could this be some kind of follow up launch?

@mikeysmith
    Given the response to the rumours from Tory backbenchers, one hopes they booked a small room.

I thought the Disney exhibition was occupying ExCel atm.
    Mickey Mouse Centenary.

Yes, honestly. No better backdrop for a Tory election launch. Hope there are photo ops.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,555
    @DPJHodges

It’s on. Parliament to be dissolved 30 May. Recess cancelled.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,785
    Scott_xP said:

@lewis_goodall

I understand a large venue where a big election count takes place has this afternoon received a block booking from the government for 4th/5th July…

Isn't it local councils that organise counts, not the government?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,648
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So my pal was right. An election, announced at 5pm

*brave*

Your usual BS, deniable punting just in case.
    I said he is often wrong, and that he is predicting a slender Sunak win. This is really not going to happen, he's wrong

So I'm not punting out some bullshit, I am relaying some insider info, which it turns out, is probably correct in this instance
    He doesn’t exist. You’re just desperate to make the story (at least partly) about you. As usual.
    Here you go, dummy

More BS
    Do you think I've spent the last hour carefully faking that with Dalle-35??

I mean, I know you have sad yearning sex with your dog so "spending time in unusual pursuits" is not alien to you, but really. Occam's razor, old boy
  • Options
    Beer has some great but subtle facial expressions when he is listening to Vennells.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,511
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@lewis_goodall

I understand a large venue where a big election count takes place has this afternoon received a block booking from the government for 4th/5th July…

Correct, it is.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191

GIN1138 said:

Last time we had a general election in July was... 1945 right?

Kind of ended sub-optimal for the Tories, that one... ;)

The Tories lost 189 seats in 1945. An identical result this time would see them reduced to 176 seats.
    They'd probably take that given the polls lately.
  • Options
    @KateEMcCann

Someone with a very loud speaker has also arrived at Downing Street and is blasting out “things can only get better”.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,134
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@lewis_goodall

Legally, yes. So ...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,945
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention for
    @Telegraph

📈17pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 43 (=)
    🌳Con 26 (+1)
    🔶LD 10 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 9 (-1)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 4 (=)

2,295 UK adults, 17-19 May

(chg 10-12 May)

As long as the combined Tory/RefUK share is within 10% of Labour's I would be a tiny bit nervous if I was a supporter of the latter.
    Oh I'm nervous don't worry. I'd need a 15 pt poll lead the day before the vote not to be nervous.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,037
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

*brave*

I said he is often wrong, and that he is predicting a slender Sunak win. This is really not going to happen, he's wrong

So I'm not punting out some bullshit, I am relaying some insider info, which it turns out, is probably correct in this instance
    He doesn’t exist. You’re just desperate to make the story (at least partly) about you. As usual.
    Here you go, dummy

This shows that just before 1pm a politically connected insider told you there would be a 4 July election. What is the big deal here?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Labour faces series of crises if elected, internal dossier warns"

https://www.ft.com/content/b95976ff-d861-4baf-a168-fd262b4e2f95

Well yeah, who knew, lol! 😂
    It's possible that Sunak has seen that something even WORSE is coming down the line, and wants to get out of the way?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,142
    Natasha Clarke of LBC at Downing Street. A loop of DReam "Things can only get better" in the background.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@KateEMcCann

Someone with a very loud speaker has also arrived at Downing Street and is blasting out “things can only get better”.

Mandelson?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,986
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

A friend of mine with some political connections says Yes there will be an election in July, and it will be announced around 5pm, before the news at 6

He sometimes gets things wildly wrong, and sometimes nails things completely

Did he predict Brexit?
    he is obsessively political
    What, as opposed to us here on PB. mkay.

I mean he actually has a job in politics, as an elected politician, which is NOT true of most people on here

Anyway, it seems that this time he aced it
    I mean, lovely. But you posted his information about an hour after everyone else was already talking about the rumour on here.
    Jeez. Tough gig: tough crowd

I'm just noting what a friend said, and he is often weridly correct: it seems he even got the timing right (5pm), tho we don't quite know yet

PB is a place where we swap rumours, it's what we do. This was a rumour from an intriguing source. Is all

Right, now I have to organise another trip to Italy. The Gazette is so impressed by my enthusiastic descriptions of Taranto and Altamura they are sending me back there, on assignment. Yay!

Still dodging the bet I see, even after you brought it up?
    Go fuck yourself. Seriously. Your attitude to this is.... ugh

20 million dead and you think it's all funny
    Seriously? I'm offering to the the bet that you brought up! I don't think it's funny that 20 million died, I just don't think jail time will result. Lack of funding, bring ostracized for sure, but not jail. You clearly are not as confident as you sound if you aren't prepared to risk a £59 quid charity donation.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,200
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@lewis_goodall

Yes. And why would the government be booking ahead of the announcement - it's not like they'd delay the election if the venue turned out not to be available!
  • Options
    So are we currently on Downing St. lectern watch
  • Options
    Whatever else happens, it'll be delightful to see the SNP lose lots of seats.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,037

Scott_xP said:

@montie
    Nick is 🎯
    I know of three MPs submitting no confidence votes to stop an elxn.
    MMMAAAAADDDDD

That is mad. As long as he gets to the Palace before Graham Brady gets a full postbag and starts the process with 1922 Sunak is PM and the advice to dissolve has to be followed.
    The dissolution would still happen and we’d have a Tory leader campaign during a GE campaign. No one is that fucking stupid.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@DPJHodges

Whitsun break cancelled. Sunak will be popular with his MPs.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@lewis_goodall

Booking it up so the count can't take place .. Stop the steal!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,450

CatMan said:

Sunak so wants to be American he choses July 4 for the election :grimace:

"Make July 4th our independence day from the ECHR!"
    Hmm.

Maybe it could be posed as a referendum.

"Which would you more like us to be independent from?
    (1) The European Convention on Human Rights
    (2) The Conservatives?"

Bets, anyone?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,402
    Andy_JS said:

Unlikely to impact Swinney though. He'll just blame Useless.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

*brave*

Here you go, dummy

This shows that just before 1pm a politically connected insider told you there would be a 4 July election. What is the big deal here?
    Nothing. There isn't one. It's just @IanB2 is so insane he thinks I would make this up. If I'm gonna make shit up I will do it in style, and with some major purpose, not spend hours creating a fake friend who handed me a plausible but already widely spread rumour 39 minutes before blah blah
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,624
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention for
    @Telegraph

📈17pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 43 (=)
    🌳Con 26 (+1)
    🔶LD 10 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 9 (-1)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 4 (=)

2,295 UK adults, 17-19 May

(chg 10-12 May)

As long as the combined Tory/RefUK share is within 10% of Labour's I would be a tiny bit nervous if I was a supporter of the latter.
    Oh I'm nervous don't worry. I'd need a 15 pt poll lead the day before the vote not to be nervous.
    I'd still be nervous and I'm probably not even going to vote Labour.
  • Options

Thoughts and prayers with Prof. Sir John Curtice, who probably had a nice summer planned on his allotment.

OTOH he gets paid earlier and can relax for the rest of the summer. Assuming there isn't another election.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

@montie
    Nick is 🎯
    I know of three MPs submitting no confidence votes to stop an elxn.
    MMMAAAAADDDDD

That is mad. As long as he gets to the Palace before Graham Brady gets a full postbag and starts the process with 1922 Sunak is PM and the advice to dissolve has to be followed.
    The dissolution would still happen and we’d have a Tory leader campaign during a GE campaign. No one is that fucking stupid.
    You're talking about a party that boasts Rees-Mogg, Fabricant and Braverman among its ranks.

Your assertion seems to me to be on the courageous side.
  • Options
    @PippaCrerar

🚨Rishi Sunak IS calling a summer election this afternoon, sources tell
    @guardian
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,760
    Andy_JS said:

Great that you'll no longer be governed by them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,216
    https://x.com/lewis_goodall/status/1793297905182261723?s=46

• Options
    Reform UK just announced a "huge press conference" tomorrow at 11am.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Unlikely to impact Swinney though. He'll just blame Useless.
    Might even be positive for him - emphasises the change, draws a line under the mistake. "The important election is the one in 2026", etc.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

A friend of mine with some political connections says Yes there will be an election in July, and it will be announced around 5pm, before the news at 6

Did he predict Brexit?

I mean he actually has a job in politics, as an elected politician, which is NOT true of most people on here

I mean, lovely. But you posted his information about an hour after everyone else was already talking about the rumour on here.

I'm just noting what a friend said, and he is often weridly correct: it seems he even got the timing right (5pm), tho we don't quite know yet

PB is a place where we swap rumours, it's what we do. This was a rumour from an intriguing source. Is all

Right, now I have to organise another trip to Italy. The Gazette is so impressed by my enthusiastic descriptions of Taranto and Altamura they are sending me back there, on assignment. Yay!

Seriously? I'm offering to the the bet that you brought up! I don't think it's funny that 20 million died, I just don't think jail time will result. Lack of funding, bring ostracized for sure, but not jail. You clearly are not as confident as you sound if you aren't prepared to risk a £59 quid charity donation.
    You don't get it. My outright contempt for you is very real: on this narrow but tremendously important subject

I shouldn't even have engaged with you, that was my bad. I won't do it again
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,413

Scott_xP said:

@DPJHodges

Most of them will be on a much extended holiday from July 5 so......
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,152
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

*brave*

Here you go, dummy

More BS
    Do you think I've spent the last hour carefully faking that with Dalle-35??

I mean, I know you have sad yearning sex with your dog so "spending time in unusual pursuits" is not alien to you, but really. Occam's razor, old boy
    The simplest explanation is that you’re full of BS and always need to be the centre of attention.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Will all four of them be there?
  • Options
    So HS2 to Manchester would have been built but for Sunak trying to cling on for a mere eight months more.
  • Options

https://x.com/lewis_goodall/status/1793297905182261723?s=46

Already bolloxed (or worse) earlier this thread, I'm afraid. This is a Public Service Notice.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

LOL! Farage been caught dithering...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Did he predict Brexit?

You don't get it. My outright contempt for you is very real: on this narrow but tremendously important subject

I shouldn't even have engaged with you, that was my bad. I won't do it again
    So why not take the bet? Because if you were so sure you'd do it.
    Fine, I know we will not agree on this, although I don't think my opinion is what you think it is tbh.
  • Options
  • Options
    @AnushkaAsthana

New - Sources tell me July 4 is the going to be the date of the next election. Now confirmed to folk internally.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,075
    Andy_JS said:

Generous of Farage to give Sunak an even of triumph before unveiling Armageddon in the morning
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Will all four of them be there?
    Could be five if they're announcing an alliance with Laurence Fox.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,277
    Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

New - Sources tell me July 4 is the going to be the date of the next election. Now confirmed to folk internally.

There's going to be fireworks.
  • Options
    Huge David Cameron photo/banner in the capital of Albania.

https://x.com/FBonertz/status/1792958650727952516
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    edited May 22
    One thing to bear in mind is that the campaign will be completely overshadowed by the Euros.

TV debates will almost certainly be up against a Euros match.
  • Options

Ah - will have to book the 5th July off to watch the inevitable bloodbath..

You may be taking the accusations about Starmer's genocide support too literally.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

If he had July in mind, why didn't he go for May anyway when he could have potentially saved hundreds of councillors?

And if he didn't, what has changed his mind now?

Honestly, the man's so inept at politics it's actually embarrassing. He makes Hilary Clinton look like Franklin D. Roosevelt.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784
    I have the inside scoop (well, a ridiculous and highly unlikely idea, but that's pretty much the same thing):

As everyone know the Conservative Party is short of cash. Earlier this month, they put everything - and I mean everything - on a July election date in Betfair. Their market is currently showing a £4.2m profit.

They are now ramping the date hard, while simultaneously exiting the position.

In this way, the Conservative Party will have lots of money to spend on the upcoming campaign.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@DPJHodges

By going early, Rishi has just lost each backbencher who loses their seat around 6 months' worth of salary - worth almost £50k.
  • Options
    edited May 22

Andy_JS said:

Generous of Farage to give Sunak an even of triumph before unveiling Armageddon in the morning
    Not sure.

Farage has been game playing and dithering. If he announces his comeback after Rishi has called the election it just looks like he's reacting to events and dancing to Rishi's tune.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

One thing to bear in mind is that the campaign will be completely overshadowed by the Euros.

That might be the idea. Everyone watching the football not the car crash.
  • Options
    Twickbait_55Twickbait_55 Posts: 120
    So July 4th seems to be the date...
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,804
    I’m glad I’ve given up betting.

I would almost certainly have lost my shirt betting at obscene odds on 2025.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,378
    Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

It's possible that Sunak has seen that something even WORSE is coming down the line, and wants to get out of the way?

Am rather losing count of the number of ministers asking me what is happening with their government. One described an imminent general election as “weird”. They asked: why do it before the flights have taken off for Rwanda?

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1793295592539529353

The reason to do it before flights go is that the fortnight/four weeks after flights go test the "deterrent" theory & test it to destruction

Obviously
    Arrivals > removals
    At least tenfold

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1793297121858220338

If this were a heist movie, we'd be at the bit where the conmen (who we root for, despite ourselves) have realised they have to get on a plane to anywhere, and quick, because the scam is about to collapse.

Obviously, I'm not saying that Rishi Sunak is a conman who we are rooting for.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784
    ydoethur said:

Has Paula Vennells really admitted she lied to a select committee?

Good grief.

I mean, we all knew she did but I'm surprised she admitted it.

God told her to. So it's alright.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,390
    Oh God, don't tell Sunil that the election is being called for Independence Day.
  • Options

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Am rather losing count of the number of ministers asking me what is happening with their government. One described an imminent general election as “weird”. They asked: why do it before the flights have taken off for Rwanda?

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1793295592539529353

The reason to do it before flights go is that the fortnight/four weeks after flights go test the "deterrent" theory & test it to destruction

Obviously
    Arrivals > removals
    At least tenfold

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1793297121858220338

If this were a heist movie, we'd be at the bit where the conmen (who we root for, despite ourselves) have realised they have to get on a plane to anywhere, and quick, because the scam is about to collapse.

Obviously, I'm not saying that Rishi Sunak is a conman who we are rooting for.
    I'm glad to hear it.

The last thing our subtle and modest host needs, while ill, is to be sued by a bunch of conmen.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,924

So July 4th seems to be the date...

Yep. If it's not, Sunak will look incredibly stupid (*insert your own joke here*).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    edited May 22
    MikeL said:

Presuming England get through, what dates are the knock-out matches?

------------

If all results at Euro 2024 go with the world rankings England’s opponents in the knockout rounds would be…

Round of 16: Sunday June 30 - England vs Austria/Romania/Turkey (Arena AufSchalke, Gelsenkirchen)

Quarter-final: Saturday July 6 – England vs Italy (Merkur Spiel-Arena, Dusseldorf)

--------------

If England group runner-up,

Round of 16: Saturday June 29 - Germany vs England (Westfalenstadion, Dortmund)

Quarter-final: Friday July 5 – Spain vs England (MHPArena, Stuttgart)
  • Options
    The greatest election song of all time from Mr Bean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vvYc6q7-Os
  • Options
    @henrymance

Bold move to call an election before the 100 chess sets have been delivered.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

@DPJHodges

By going early, Rishi has just lost each backbencher who loses their seat around 6 months' worth of salary - worth almost £50k.
    Rishi can't imagine anyone caring about such a tiny sum as £50k.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Oh God, don't tell Sunil that the election is being called for Independence Day.

The Tories lost that one too.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Has Paula Vennells really admitted she lied to a select committee?

Good grief.

I mean, we all knew she did but I'm surprised she admitted it.

She's probably heard the GE rumours and it's a good day to bury bad news. Wait till you hear what she did to Shergar,
    Did Jo Moore change her identity?

Jo Moore was quite hot. Ms Vennells, not
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,522
    edited May 22

MikeL said:

Sunday 30 June if they win the group.
    Saturday 29 June if they come second.
    Monday 1 (20:00) or Tuesday 2 July (17:00) if they come third and qualify as one of the four best third place teams.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@henrymance

Bold move to call an election before the 100 chess sets have been delivered.

Could drop them off from the battle bus as it tours the nation.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Not sure.

Farage has been game playing and dithering. If he announces his comeback after Rishi has called the election it just looks like he's reacting to events and dancing to Rishi's tune.
    It probably made sense to wait until the election announcement.

The Brexit Party launch was in April 2019 before the European elections in May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47907350
  • Options

MikeL said:

------------

If all results at Euro 2024 go with the world rankings England’s opponents in the knockout rounds would be…

Round of 16: Sunday June 30 - England vs Austria/Romania/Turkey (Arena AufSchalke, Gelsenkirchen)

Quarter-final: Saturday July 6 – England vs Italy (Merkur Spiel-Arena, Dusseldorf)

--------------

If England group runner-up,

Round of 16: Saturday June 29 - Germany vs England (Westfalenstadion, Dortmund)

Quarter-final: Friday July 5 – Spain vs England (MHPArena, Stuttgart)
    Last 16 for England 29th or 30th June
    Quarters after the 4th
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,624
    rcs1000 said:

I have the inside scoop (well, a ridiculous and highly unlikely idea, but that's pretty much the same thing):

As everyone know the Conservative Party is short of cash. Earlier this month, they put everything - and I mean everything - on a July election date in Betfair. Their market is currently showing a £4.2m profit.

They are now ramping the date hard, while simultaneously exiting the position.

In this way, the Conservative Party will have lots of money to spend on the upcoming campaign.

If they haven't done this before, and decide to leave the bets to run, they might have to wait until the election happens before Betfair pay out...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
    Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Who knows, but if SKS is there in July the mood in PB starts to change. A short honeymoon and then the fun starts,

PB has been spending an inordinate amount of time rubbishing Sunak. Ive done it myself and slammed the Tories for being useless.

However the assumption that SKS is automatically going to be better than Sunak is just mad. PB has given little to no scrutiny to Starmer, and people like myself who say he needs to be put through the mill get criticised by the rose tinted mob. While were all patting ourselves on the back on how clever we are, nobody has done any serious due diligence on SKS.

There is a real chance that Starmer is just the same as Sunak but without the interesting bits. Theres also a chance that he;s worse a kind of UK Olaf Scholz - cometh the hour there is no man. He could be better but his lack of principles doesn't show much evidence of that. He's an establishment man.

So roll on December and we might have a clue at what he is able to do meanwhile buy popcorn before he bans it.

• Options
    I really should have stuck to my guns. What I said has come to pass, I just got the wrong month.
  • Options
    Sunak reckons Labour will cock it up quickly and he'll have another go?
  • Options
    @PhilipJCollins1

Sunak's given up. Calling an election now means he's given up.

@ShippersUnbound

The view of most MPs and ministers I have spoken to today

@PhilipJCollins1

I think it's pathetic of him to give up. He's been found out in the top job, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    I just asked my mate how he got this rumour

"Contact in Downing St" is his reply, and he says "it is a leaky place ATM"

He is a politician and its almost all he cares about, that and paragliding. So he is an intriguing source

I will pay more attention to his next rumour, tho I am still discounting his insane belief that Sunak might scrape a win
  • Options
    edited May 22
    With the fixtures (assuming England don't mess up it), the footy is going to crowd out a lot of the GE noise.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,152
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

If he had July in mind, why didn't he go for May anyway when he could have potentially saved hundreds of councillors?

And if he didn't, what has changed his mind now?

Honestly, the man's so inept at politics it's actually embarrassing. He makes Hilary Clinton look like Franklin D. Roosevelt.
    He only just found out Nigel’s holiday dates?
  • Options
    Sir Anthony Eden will not be surpassed in time served unless Rishi wins. The only stat that matters
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,075
    Do have to laugh. Going to the country now. With basically zero notice. With parliament supposed to be in recess.

What has Sunak been told that made him throw in the towel?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,031

I really should have stuck to my guns. What I said has come to pass, I just got the wrong month.

Isn't that true of anyone who predicted the election result in a month other than July 2024? :smile:
  • Options
    @tamcohen

Many Tories were **not** expecting this, just after demoralising local elections.

One former cabinet minister, veteran of multiple campaigns, tells me going early is “madness, suicidal, the charge of the light brigade”.
  • Options

Do have to laugh. Going to the country now. With basically zero notice. With parliament supposed to be in recess.

Got a better offer from a big tech company?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,120
    BBC reporting he's about to make a statement confirming the election.
  • Options
    edited May 22
    How much notice do the broadcasters need for a Downing St lectern speech? It's getting a bit close to this theorised 5pm announcement...
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Who knows, but if SKS is there in July the mood in PB starts to change. A short honeymoon and then the fun starts,

PB has been spending an inordinate amount of time rubbishing Sunak. Ive done it myself and slammed the Tories for being useless.

However the assumption that SKS is automatically going to be better than Sunak is just mad. PB has given little to no scrutiny to Starmer, and people like myself who say he needs to be put through the mill get criticised by the rose tinted mob. While were all patting ourselves on the back on how clever we are, nobody has done any serious due diligence on SKS.

There is a real chance that Starmer is just the same as Sunak but without the interesting bits. Theres also a chance that he;s worse a kind of UK Olaf Scholz - cometh the hour there is no man. He could be better but his lack of principles doesn't show much evidence of that. He's an establishment man.

So roll on December and we might have a clue at what he is able to do meanwhile buy popcorn before he bans it.

Memo to PB Tories: being in opposition is less fun than you might imagine.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,936
    edited May 22
    Leon said:

I just asked my mate how he got this rumour

"Contact in Downing St" is his reply, and he says "it is a leaky place ATM"

He is a politician and its almost all he cares about, that and paragliding. So he is an intriguing source

I will pay more attention to his next rumour, tho I am still discounting his insane belief that Sunak might scrape a win

Looking at the time stamp of your WhatsApp your mate messaged you over two hours after most of the media started calling a July 4th election.

#AfterTiming
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,680
    edited May 22

He put the U.K. polling data into a spreadsheet and has just realise it is getting worse?
  • Options
    July election does seem bizarre doesn't it? If he wanted to get it over and done with early (and I don't blame him for that) why not do it on the day of the local elections?

He could probably have saved a couple of hundred Con Councillors?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,811
    BBC have called it: "Rishi Sunak is set to call a summer general election, most likely on 4 July."
  • Options

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, I agree. I fully expect the Labour government to be tremendously mediocre. I mean, look at them: Rachel Reeves, David Lammy, sweet Jesus. I'd be worried if they were governors at my daughters' schools, let alone running an entire country

But who knows. They might surprise on the upside. For the sake of my country, I hope so. Meanwhile if they screw everything up, even worse than the Tories, we can at least have the pleasure of laughing at them

FWIW I do think they will get a honeymoon, but it won't last long. A year max, and then the backlash will begin
  • Options
    Beer and Vennells rudely interrupted on Sky News by Beth Rigby outside Downing Street announcing an election.
  • Options
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,565
    Lucky, lucky, lucky Paula Vennells.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@PhilipJCollins1

Sunak's given up. Calling an election now means he's given up.

@ShippersUnbound

The view of most MPs and ministers I have spoken to today

@PhilipJCollins1

I think it's pathetic of him to give up. He's been found out in the top job, I'm afraid.

The California AI job offer must have had a late summer start date.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446

With the fixtures (assuming England don't mess up it), the footy is going to crowd out a lot of the GE noise.

England lose to Germany on penalties on June 29th to deliver the coup de grace to Sunak’s election hopes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, I agree. I fully expect the Labour government to be tremendously mediocre. I mean, look at them: Rachel Reeves, David Lammy, sweet Jesus. I'd be worried if they were governors at my daughters' schools, let alone running an entire country

But who knows. They might surprise on the upside. For the sake of my country, I hope so. Meanwhile if they screw everything up, even worse than the Tories, we can at least have the pleasure of laughing at them

FWIW I do think they will get a honeymoon, but it won't last long. A year max, and then the backlash will begin
    I wouldn't be surprised if Starmer followed the Cameron precedent and brought Mandelson into the cabinet again.
This discussion has been closed.