Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak is just like the Grand Old Duke of York? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,826
edited June 8 in General
Sunak is just like the Grand Old Duke of York? – politicalbetting.com

There is Cabinet meeting this afternoon and lots of talk in Whitehall that announcement will come afterSilence from the centreSome say July 4. But intriguing suggestion from some that the date set may be after the summer. Or even reshuffleBut something is definitely up https://t.co/ZdgMrYBbsl

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 586
    He was a friend of Epstein?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,216
    If it's the Fourth of July, will we get some embarrassing attempt to appropriate Independence Day as a campaign theme?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,416
    Close to green on the date of GE market. If july drops just a tad more I am greening out.

Thanks Sunak!! :smile:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,936

Close to green on the date of GE market. If july drops just a tad more I am greening out.

You followed my tip, that is the route to profits.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,947
    PMQs may actually be interesting today, as I assume Starmer will test the GE rumours.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,605
    edited May 22
    Sixth Sick Sheikh's Sixth Sheep's Sick.
  • Options

You followed my tip, that is the route to profits.
    Modest as ever.
  • Options
    edited May 22
    Doh
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    “The drama is threatening to set the Tory tinder box ablaze, with MPs telling MailOnline that Mr Sunak has a 'death wish' and the Parliamentary party will go 'nuts' if he tries to call an election.

There are claims that 1922 chair Graham Brady is now accepting texts voicing no confidence in the leader.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13446507/Could-Rishi-Sunak-call-snap-election-TODAY-Frantic-rumours-sweep-Westminster-PM-pull-trigger-inflation-falls-despite-trailing-far-Labour-polls.html

Excuse me while I go to crisis horde popcorn…
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 589
    Great link to the Hacker clip - but what is the logic of a July electon? Especially when Mr Sunak explicitly ruled it out a week ago.

I bow to few in the strength of my belief in No 10 uselessness and f-wittery but this would just be ludicrous
  • Options
    Wow. What a question. Basically - how come you can only remember things that get you out of the hole a bit?
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,567

Really don't see it. The Tories are still about 20 points behind in the polls and CCHQ / No 10 can point a credible path to some form of recovery over the summer, as inflation and interest rates ease a bit. You do not call an election you'll get hammered in if things might get better by waiting.

(That last point changes in the autumn / winter, as the potential for waiting shortens from quarters to months to weeks, and the downside of waiting - disruption over Xmas, being accused of squatting in No 10, taking repeated hits in the Commons with nothing to do - increase)

But who knows. Sunak wouldn't be the first leader to misinterpret or selectively filter the evidence.

I never thought of an appropriate name for the rule, but it is axiomatic that Sunak will choose the worst option from any given range of political choices.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,618
    edited May 22
    "You have no problem recalling things which attribute blame to others..."

Bullseye.

I've several times noted that this is characteristic of almost every witness regarding exculpatory versus inconvenient information.
  • Options
    What happens to the Police wotsit wotsit wotsit Bill if we get a General Election for July 4th?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,878
    I speculated this morning that the Tories have had a few relatively disaster-free weeks (give and take the odd defection and terrible results in the locals), so it's surely time for a fresh PR catastrophe.

Looks like I may get what I asked for. Timdamus.
  • Options

Wow. What a question. Basically - how come you can only remember things that get you out of the hole a bit?

He has a way of asking brutal questions in a calm, civilised, even beguiling way.

I think my wife must have tutored him.
    Are you often in tears ?
  • Options
    edited May 22
    For @TSE FPT:

How did I miss this?

Paula Vennells: Ex-Post Office boss was shortlisted to be Bishop of London

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67923190.amp

You don't read the comments at PB? :smile:

We've mentioned it several times.

She wasn't in with much of a chance - most complex Bishopric in England, no Episcopal experience, and up against a former Chief Nursing Officer of England.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 2,003
    edited May 22
    Well, something’s up: Alex Davies-Jones MP @AlexDaviesJones  Have very annoyingly had a longstanding meeting with a Minister- that was scheduled for this afternoon - cancelled!😡

Alex Davies-Jones MP
    @AlexDaviesJones
    Have very annoyingly had a longstanding meeting with a Minister- that was scheduled for this afternoon - cancelled!😡

https://x.com/AlexDaviesJones/status/1793227483967340581
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    Has any Tory outrider posted a 'shortly there will be an election' blog?
  • Options

Great link to the Hacker clip - but what is the logic of a July electon? Especially when Mr Sunak explicitly ruled it out a week ago.

I bow to few in the strength of my belief in No 10 uselessness and f-wittery but this would just be ludicrous

Another PR and political tactic mess could well be afoot. Let press speculate all day that there is an announcement at 5pm of a call to GE.

Then do a presser wittering on about how inflation has come down.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,216
    Charles is at Buckingham Palace.
  • Options

That doesn't rule it out, of course.

(Paul Eddington was marvellous.)
  • Options
    "Did you know that sub-posties were suffering?"

"That's a difficult question to answer."

Jeez.
  • Options
    Ministers have been told to attend cabinet at 4pm on pain of death. They have not been told what they will be discussing 🤣 Today is the final day the election could be called for June 27. Given that Sunak has said it will be in the second half of the year, July is more likely

https://x.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1793234507291574525
  • Options
    What is it with image uploads & vanilla? The thumbnailing appears to have gone beserk.
  • Options

Ministers have been told to attend cabinet at 4pm on pain of death. They have not been told what they will be discussing 🤣 Today is the final day the election could be called for June 27. Given that Sunak has said it will be in the second half of the year, July is more likely

"pain of death"

Must be something really important like a new strategy for AI.

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,978
    MattW said:

For @TSE FPT:

How did I miss this?

She wasn't in with much of a chance - most complex Bishopric in England, no Episcopal experience, and up against a former Chief Nursing Officer of England.
    You are surely not suggesting they select on merit? How odd.
  • Options

The ducks are increasingly lining up.

If Sunak tries this, I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least an attempt to oust him this afternoon.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,753
    MattW said:

Sixth Sick Sheikh's Sixth Sheep's Sick.

Thorry. :)
  • Options
    Phil said:

What is it with image uploads & vanilla? The thumbnailing appears to have gone beserk.

We're working on a fix.

In short PBers are posting too many pics and it is causing rendering issues.
  • Options

"pain of death"

Haahaha
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,402

"pain of death"

He does Excel at computer stuff.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,200
    This 'duty of candour' line of questioning at PMQs is a big change from the norm - I wonder if SKS is up to something...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,511

I thought the last day for that was yesterday? There's a bank holiday between now and June 27, and doesn't the 'date of receipt' count as the day after dissolution?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,624
    edited May 22
    "Lack of openness and candour" - that has to be a prelude to a question about the election date, though could also be a great many things, like plans for Thames Water.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

If Sunak tries this, I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least an attempt to oust him this afternoon.
    If he gets to the Palace before the no conference vote he can pull it off.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,811
    If we have an election soon, what happens to the Post Office (Horizon System) Offences Bill? Will it be abandoned?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    Mortimer said:

Starting an election campaign by trying to oust the PM would not make it easier or more likely for Tory MPs to retain their seats.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,624
    Phil said:

I presume vanilla don't want the cost of hosting the images and providing the bandwidth for people to see them. I've started hosting them elsewhere and linking with html instead.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,785
    "The ducks are increasingly lining up."

Do you have a sauce?
  • Options
    Been at the Met Police briefing on Grenfell investigation:

- Charging files will not go to prosecutors until 2026
    - Decision on charges not until end of 2026
    - Trials will not start for at least six months after that

Will be over a decade after fire before anyone is in court

https://x.com/PeteApps/status/1793233103978217700
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,054
    AlsoLei said:

This 'duty of candour' line of questioning at PMQs is a big change from the norm - I wonder if SKS is up to something...

It is good to see grown up politics
  • Options

If we have an election soon, what happens to the Post Office (Horizon System) Offences Bill? Will it be abandoned?

Either that or it could be rushed through before dissolution. Being re-introduced immediately in the new parliament the more likely though, I'd have thought.
  • Options

I thought the last day for that was yesterday? There's a bank holiday between now and June 27, and doesn't the 'date of receipt' count as the day after dissolution?
    Dissolution has to be today for 27th June
  • Options

Mortimer said:

A No Conference vote would be an October election, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703

Bills can't be carried over between parliaments .

https://guidetoprocedure.parliament.uk/articles/L6fZa1ZF/carrying-bills-over-to-another-session
  • Options
    edited May 22
    Mortimer said:

If the cabinet agree and he attends the King then there is nothing the mps can do to prevent the GE
  • Options

"Did you know that sub-posties were suffering?"

"That's a difficult question to answer."

Jeez.

One has the impression of a person lacking in compassion, although not for herself. You can see how a leader of that kind could encourage atrocious behavior amongst subordinates.

History is replete with examples.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

A No Conference vote would be an October election, wouldn't it?
    Who knows anymore!!!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,927
    Andy_JS said:

Do you have a sauce?

Orange I expect
  • Options
    MattW said:

For @TSE FPT:

How did I miss this?

I have a fever at the moment, all I can remember at the moment is my own brilliance and illness.
  • Options

Phil said:

We're working on a fix.

Can you turn it off in the short term? Accidentally inflicting blurry blobs on everyone is a bit unfortunate!
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

It is good to see grown up politics
    Made for a deeply weird atmosphere - six serious questions on a substantive issue.

Danny Kruger now bringing us all back down to earth with a bump, though...
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,575

Where can I place a bet that the people responsible will have selective amnesia by that time?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    edited May 22
    Andy_JS said:

Do you have a sauce?

Would you like hoisin or something else? ;)
  • Options
    edited May 22

Phil said:

We're working on a fix.

One imagines that the distribution of number of pics posted by PBer is very skewed.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,450
    Rishi has just ruled out 27 June. But not 4 July...
  • Options

Phil said:

We're working on a fix.

One imagines that the distribution of number of pics posted by PBer is very skewed.
    Indeed.

We're looking at one embedded pic per calendar day limit per poster.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,416
    edited May 22

Couldn't stop grinning either. Date will be announced today, but still could be confirmation of an Autumn date
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,292

Yes. Dissolution (not calling an election) would have to be today, to allow for the Bank Holiday, which isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314

and they're changing guards, says Alice

• Options

Phil said:

We're working on a fix.

Indeed.

Can we sell our quota?
    No.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,753

Where/when did he rule out 27 June?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you have a sauce?

Orange I expect
    Duck surprise?
  • Options
    NickyBreakspearNickyBreakspear Posts: 719
    Before the general election the Finance (No. 2) Bill needs to be enacted (otherwise no Income Tax can be collected for this tax year).

So the election will not be 27th June.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,450
    viewcode said:

Just
    viewcode said:

Just now in PMQs in response to Stephen Flynn. He said it would be in the second half of this year.
  • Options

Phil said:

We're working on a fix.

Indeed.

Can we sell our quota?
    Ooh, goodie - a black market!
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9xxyl3gp39o

“Katy, now 18, is one of thousands of children in England and Wales - at least one as young as seven - to have been placed under what are known as Deprivation of Liberty (DoL) orders.
    The BBC has interviewed several young people who were subject to DoLs and are now speaking publicly about their experiences for the first time.“
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,292

Couldn't stop grinning either. Date will be announced today, but still could be confirmation of an Autumn date
    FWIW my (minority) view that the GE would be in September was on the basis that it would announced before the summer holidays, with dissolution in August. In this way Sunak could take everyone by surprise, avoid entanglement with the triumph of Trump, and have a long time for unsuccessfully getting us to vote Tory while he himself is in practice beyond being replaced.

Still not impossible that this is something like the case.
  • Options
    Jeffrey Donaldson not standing at next election
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

You can't oust him that quick. You could I suppose appeal to his sense of decency and say he is morally obliged to leave office as an informal fix with the men in grey suits seeing as that's how he got it. Good luck with that

My reading is Sunak wants to hold on as long as possible for something to turn up. Everyone else wants him out and as long as possible for his successor to turn things round. He is bluffing and saying you back down or I detonate the July hand grenade.
  • Options

Before the general election the Finance (No. 2) Bill needs to be enacted (otherwise no Income Tax can be collected for this tax year).

So the election will not be 27th June.

If Labour are going to win anyway not make it tough for them?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,416
    edited May 22
    I predict parliament will dissolve May 30th or June 4th for a July 11th election. He'll recall them from Whitsun to wash up.
  • Options
    Jeepers,she's being destroyed.

It's like watching a slow-motion car crash. Not sure I can watch much more.
  • Options
    Sir Wyn's not believing Paula Vennell's bullshit is he?
  • Options

Is he the sitting MP?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,126
    Ms Vennels now claiming she didn't know that the PO was bringing the prosecutions. Chair clearly doesn't believe a word of it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

But no doubt "Lessons will be learned."
  • Options

I stopped watching. She may deserve it, but too painful for me to watch!
  • Options

Sir Wyn Nice-Oldthingbutmygodi'mbloodysharp.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Just
    viewcode said:

Just now in PMQs in response to Stephen Flynn. He said it would be in the second half of this year.
    Although as noted above, July 4 is in the second half (and more realistic even if dissolution was announced today).

But at least as notable is that the above quote also rules out January 2025.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,717

Phil said:

We're working on a fix.

Indeed.

Set up a pb instagram page and then people can just put a link to the pictures there and save space on the site.
  • Options

He is also a credit to Wales
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,154
    The court is openly laughing at Vennells now.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,175
    megasaur said:

He was a friend of Epstein?

Or Dorothy ?
  • Options

Today has shown why lawyers are the best of humanity.

Sir Wyn and Jason Beer have gently destroyed Paula Vennell's arguments.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,402

He is also a credit to Wales
    Like all good whales, he blow hole in Paula Vennells' credibility.
  • Options

My suggestion for the general election debates.

Moderator - Sir Wyn Williams

Questioner - Jason Beer KC
  • Options

viewcode said:

Just
    viewcode said:

Although as noted above, July 4 is in the second half (and more realistic even if dissolution was announced today).

But at least as notable is that the above quote also rules out January 2025.
    It's hard to see the rationale for July 4th.
  • Options

Is he the sitting MP?
    Astonishingly, yes. Still out on bail, with a committal hearing due in early July.

I wouldn't expect him to be showing up for work any time soon, mind.
  • Options

Yup, me too. I sincerely hope someone has her on suicide watch.
  • Options

Is he the sitting MP?
    Yes, he is the current MP for Lagan Valley, which will be an Alliance target at the general.
  • Options
    Taz said:

F*ck her. People lost their homes, livelihoods and lives because of her and her fellow Senior managers.

This may be painful for her. The pain her victims have endured has gone on for many years and STILL no restitution.
    Has she said "I'm the real victim here."
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,152

The biggest of landmines for the next lot ..
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,567

kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you have a sauce?

Orange I expect
    Duck surprise?
    Showing a grebe-ous disregard for electoral precedent, that's for sure.
This discussion has been closed.