Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak is just like the Grand Old Duke of York? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,849

Sir Wyn's not believing Paula Vennell's bullshit is he?

Sir Wyn Nice-Oldthingbutmygodi'mbloodysharp.
    He is also a credit to Wales
    Lol! Love the accent. Can you tell which part? I lived in Cardiff for a while and wasn't a fan of the local brogue, but I love the sound of Pembrokeshire voices.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,152

Phil said:

What is it with image uploads & vanilla? The thumbnailing appears to have gone beserk.

We're working on a fix.

In short PBers are posting too many pics and it is causing rendering issues.
    One imagines that the distribution of number of pics posted by PBer is very skewed.
    Indeed.

We're looking at one embedded pic per calendar day limit per poster.
    Imagine the self restraint required to choose only one.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,251
    Is Vennells claiming she didn't know the Post Office undertook its own prosecutions despite being CEO?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,415
    Sean_F said:

Taz said:

I stopped watching. She may deserve it, but too painful for me to watch!
    F*ck her. People lost their homes, livelihoods and lives because of her and her fellow Senior managers.

This may be painful for her. The pain her victims have endured has gone on for many years and STILL no restitution.
    Has she said "I'm the real victim here."
    Nearly.

Her argument boils down to 'well the Post Office is a bloody big organisation, as Chief Exec I cannot be expected to know everything, except the things that put me in a good light.'
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,022
    Sean_F said:

Taz said:

F*ck her. People lost their homes, livelihoods and lives because of her and her fellow Senior managers.

This may be painful for her. The pain her victims have endured has gone on for many years and STILL no restitution.
    She has tried the "I was too trusting" defence.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,484

Jeepers,she's being destroyed.

It's like watching a slow-motion car crash. Not sure I can watch much more.

Several Thick Of It quotes spring to mind (e.g. "Like watching a lion **** a sheep, but in a bad way."
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Is Vennells claiming she didn't know the Post Office undertook its own prosecutions despite being CEO?

Yes.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,068
    Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Rishi has just ruled out 27 June. But not 4 July...

Where/when did he rule out 27 June?
    Just
    viewcode said:

Just now in PMQs in response to Stephen Flynn. He said it would be in the second half of this year.
    Although as noted above, July 4 is in the second half (and more realistic even if dissolution was announced today).

But at least as notable is that the above quote also rules out January 2025.
    It's hard to see the rationale for July 4th.
    Flights take off, before boats increase in summer
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,660
    AlsoLei said:

Jeffrey Donaldson not standing at next election

Is he the sitting MP?
    Astonishingly, yes. Still out on bail, with a committal hearing due in early July.

I wouldn't expect him to be showing up for work any time soon, mind.
    It’s the ol’ innocent until proven guilty thing. Were he to be found guilty and receive a custodial sentence of >1 year, he would cease to be an MP. But nothing happens while you’ve been charged and are awaiting trial.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,284

Andy_JS said:

Yes.
    "Vennells' response - that she has no recollection - doesn't seem to be accepted by those watching on. There are more than a few jeers, with one man laughing enough that breaks out into a brief coughing fit."

BBC blog
  • Options

Before the general election the Finance (No. 2) Bill needs to be enacted (otherwise no Income Tax can be collected for this tax year).

So the election will not be 27th June.

If the ducks are in a row, presumably the bills are too?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,073
    edited May 22
    Andy_JS said:

Yes.

[Sorry, too slow!]
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Jeepers,she's being destroyed.

It's like watching a slow-motion car crash. Not sure I can watch much more.

Several Thick Of It quotes spring to mind (e.g. "Like watching a lion **** a sheep, but in a bad way."
    This one.

Who was it that did your media training? Myra Hindley? It's terrible! All these hands all over the place! You were like a sweaty octopus trying to unhook a bra! It was like watching John Leslie at work!
    "Even the cameramen are laughing"
  • Options
    Taz said:

It's worse than most people imagine, Taz.

From the outset, the PO and its advisers have resisted every attempt to obtain justice for the SPMs, and it is still doing so. Witness for example yesterday's lamentable witness who palpably lied repeatedly about her role in the scandal. Or Ms Vennell's failure to release crucial documents until the last minute, thus hampering the work of the Inquiry and dragging it out longer than ever should have been necessary.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    Andy_JS said:

She’s definitely attempting to invoke implausible deniability
  • Options
    I don't understand how she got the job in the first place. She's clearly not the right person to run a large organisation.
  • Options

Today has shown why lawyers are the best of humanity.

Sir Wyn and Jason Beer have gently destroyed Paula Vennell's arguments.
    They have - but she's still trying to set up the basis for an incompetence not malice defence, I think ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,305

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Nearly.

Her argument boils down to 'well the Post Office is a bloody big organisation, as Chief Exec I cannot be expected to know everything, except the things that put me in a good light.'
    Of course. How is a Chief Executive supposed to know what is being done in her name?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    Andy_JS said:

I don't understand how she got the job in the first place. She's clearly not the right person to run a large organisation.

I wouldn’t trust her to run a bath.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Today has shown why lawyers are the best of humanity.

Sir Wyn and Jason Beer have gently destroyed Paula Vennell's arguments.
    They have - but she's still trying to set up the basis for an incompetence not malice defence, I think ?
    It’s not working.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,699
    Sunak knows that inflation will be heading back up strongly by August 2024, when the July 2024 CPI is published. That's because of energy price base effects in the CPI (the old Energy Price Guarantee of £2,500 per average household lasted until June 2023 in the base).

Nonetheless I think that despite the inflation window, can he really dare to hold an election at this point, with his party being in deficit to over 20% in the polls?

One way or another, a decision on a July election needs to be taken now. I think he will tell them that in his view it's best to wait until late Autumn or Winter, but seek their view nonetheless. So today's meeting could be all about getting collective Cabinet buy-in to a decision to go long, in the hope that something will turn up and rely (that and an absolutely appalling out of date electoral register.) Go around the table and ask each member whether they should go now or wait, that sort of thing.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Not until 2012"

Whereas the evidence shows that she should have known back in 2008.

"I should have known" is a regular mantra.
  • Options
    "Unknown unknowns" check.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,496
    edited May 22
    Worth noting that July 4 and June 27 are both slap in the middle of Euro 2024, which I suppose might be a pro or con.

June 27 being between the group stage and second round.

July 4 is between the second round and quarter-finals.

Scotland's historic record in major finals suggests a low probability of still being in the tournament by either date but there's always a first time for anything.
  • Options
    ScarpiaScarpia Posts: 40
    PO Inquiry live feed now showing "Broadcast Suspended" immediately following second morning break.
    Has Rev Mrs Vennells walked out?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,856
    Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Just
    viewcode said:

Just now in PMQs in response to Stephen Flynn. He said it would be in the second half of this year.
    Although as noted above, July 4 is in the second half (and more realistic even if dissolution was announced today).

That’s simple Rishi set a number of points that he promised to fix, inflation was one and that’s the only success he can point at now or at any point in the next six months

Hence run now before something else bad happens.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Nearly.

Of course. How is a Chief Executive supposed to know what is being done in her name?
    I know. Where will this end?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,916
    Andy_JS said:

The government and board were desperate to inject private sector "talent" into what was seen as a falling organisation. That most of them had no idea what they were getting into didn't seem to matter
  • Options

Taz said:

From the outset, the PO and its advisers have resisted every attempt to obtain justice for the SPMs, and it is still doing so. Witness for example yesterday's lamentable witness who palpably lied repeatedly about her role in the scandal. Or Ms Vennell's failure to release crucial documents until the last minute, thus hampering the work of the Inquiry and dragging it out longer than ever should have been necessary.
    And massive selected memory syndrome.

• Options

Taz said:

So they have been more than wilfully obstructive. How on earth can they simply lie and claim what they now claim.

Vennells is clearly culpable but the press and media focus being on her is giving many of the others, if not a free ride, a far easier time of it.

It is outrageous.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,699
    eek said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Just
    viewcode said:

That’s simple Rishi set a number of points that he promised to fix, inflation was one and that’s the only success he can point at now or at any point in the next six months

i.e. Inflation starts going back up, which will happen in the CPI figures published in August 2024. See below.
  • Options
    ScarpiaScarpia Posts: 40
    ..now back again. JB opening up a new line
  • Options
    Sky News has been interviewing some victims of the scandal. One has said that this was “an opportunity for her to show humanity” but they were not “real tears” and described it as “a mega-performance” and “lies from the start”.
  • Options

Taz said:

I was asking my wife about this as she used to have to go to employment tribunals as an HR Manager.

Her legal advisers advice was that she should never lie to a tribunal and be as truthful as possible but if she could not recall, or was confused about events, to simply say she could not remember.

Of course good advice but an easy cop out too.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

So they have been more than wilfully obstructive. How on earth can they simply lie and claim what they now claim.

Vennells is clearly culpable but the press and media focus being on her is giving many of the others, if not a free ride, a far easier time of it.

It is outrageous.
    The whole gang should be rounded up and prosecuted - rough justice, but no worse than they meted out.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 891
    edited May 22

eek said:

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Just
    viewcode said:

i.e. Inflation starts going back up, which will happen in the CPI figures published in August 2024. See below.
    Yes headline inflation will fall further this time next month due to base effects. And then rise slightly thereafter.

July the betting favourite still.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,201
    Martin Lewis
    @MartinSLewis
    ·
    35m
    Wow the rumours a general election will be announced today seem to be getting stronger and stronger.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,496
    Taz said:

Taz said:

I was asking my wife about this as she used to have to go to employment tribunals as an HR Manager.

Her legal advisers advice was that she should never lie to a tribunal and be as truthful as possible but if she could not recall, or was confused about events, to simply say she could not remember.

Sure. But when you repeatedly remember that which helps you, and repeatedly can't remember that which wouldn't, it looks a bit suss.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,223
    The idea that England are expected to win the Euros is BS. No team is odds on.
  • Options

Martin Lewis
    @MartinSLewis
    ·
    35m
    Wow the rumours a general election will be announced today seem to be getting stronger and stronger.

1.7 for july now
  • Options

Sunak knows that inflation will be heading back up strongly by August 2024, when the July 2024 CPI is published. That's because of energy price base effects in the CPI (the old Energy Price Guarantee of £2,500 per average household lasted until June 2023 in the base).

Nonetheless I think that despite the inflation window, can he really dare to hold an election at this point, with his party being in deficit to over 20% in the polls?

One way or another, a decision on a July election needs to be taken now. I think he will tell them that in his view it's best to wait until late Autumn or Winter, but seek their view nonetheless. So today's meeting could be all about getting collective Cabinet buy-in to a decision to go long, in the hope that something will turn up and rely (that and an absolutely appalling out of date electoral register.) Go around the table and ask each member whether they should go now or wait, that sort of thing.

OTOH, growth should be pretty good for the rest of the year, interest rates will be cut, and wage rises will be running well above inflation. None of that guarantees an improvement, but it strengthens the case for waiting. IMHO.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,988
    Scarpia said:

PO Inquiry live feed now showing "Broadcast Suspended" immediately following second morning break.
    Has Rev Mrs Vennells walked out?

No
  • Options
    edited May 22

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sure. But when you repeatedly remember that which helps you, and repeatedly can't remember that which wouldn't, it looks a bit suss.
    Yup, I agree. Hence my last sentence. It does give people the chance to just cop out and not account for their deeds too.
  • Options

Martin Lewis
    @MartinSLewis
    ·
    35m

1.7 for july now
    Chris Mason, on the BBC website, seems to be getting quite interested in this rumour.
  • Options
    NickyBreakspearNickyBreakspear Posts: 713
    Perhaps they have just calculated that there would be no room for tax cuts in the autumn, so that they need to go now?
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

The least worst strategy I expect
  • Options
    edited May 22

Taz said:

Taz said:

It is outrageous.
    The whole gang should be rounded up and prosecuted - rough justice, but no worse than they meted out.
    The prosecution seems a bit excessive just give them10 years each and make them liable so that some of the costs can be recovered via their pensions, house….

And then a few tens of thousands of hours of community service, cleaning the homes of their victims every week as home helps

Actually yep - just 50 hours of community service per week for the next 15 years feels suitable punishment
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,314
    Scarpia said:

..now back again. JB opening up a new line

Will she bottle Beer?
  • Options
    More memory lapses.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,057
    -
    Ghedebrav said:

Before the general election the Finance (No. 2) Bill needs to be enacted (otherwise no Income Tax can be collected for this tax year).

So the election will not be 27th June.

If the ducks are in a row, presumably the bills are too?
    It’ll be canard for Sunak.
  • Options
    She's up for three days - hard to see this going on that long?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,013
    Taz said:

Taz said:

It is outrageous.
    She has probably forgotten who "the others" were.
  • Options
    If it is July4th, how many Tory MPs do we expect will turn up for it?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,136
    The Inquiry should have offered PV the more dignified way out - running across a minefield dressed as a clown on primetime TV.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It's hardly Usyk-Fury, More Butterbean-Bart Gun at Brawl for All.
  • Options

If it is July4th, how many Tory MPs do we expect will turn up for it?

265 of the current crop ca
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,544

Been at the Met Police briefing on Grenfell investigation:

- Charging files will not go to prosecutors until 2026
    - Decision on charges not until end of 2026
    - Trials will not start for at least six months after that

Will be over a decade after fire before anyone is in court

https://x.com/PeteApps/status/1793233103978217700

Why would the process for this be any different to any other such scandal?

Some say insanity is doing the same thing, repeatedly, and expecting different result.

I say that @Cyclefree should create a template for headers on scandals and corruption and save on keyboard wear.
  • Options
    Taz said:

IanB2 said:

It’s another of those Mike Tyson against no hoper fights I mentioned last week
  • Options
    This seems a spectacularly unlikely reaction, had it been true she was unaware of the PO's prosecutorial capacity and procedures at the time.

..Vennells says she personally spoke to John Scott, the Post Office’s former head of security, after the feedback from Second Sight and the mediation scheme.

“When you spoke to John Scott about this, did you say John, I’ve been in the organisation for five or six years, I didn’t know you had a team of 100 people that were investigating up and down the country sub-postmasters and sending them to prison. How come I didn’t know?” Beer asks.

Laughter can be heard in the inquiry room as Beer poses the question.

She says she spoke to him seriously about the culture at the Post Office and that the sub-postmasters were really important to us....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,438

MattW said:

For @TSE FPT:

How did I miss this?

Paula Vennells: Ex-Post Office boss was shortlisted to be Bishop of London

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67923190.amp

You don't read the comments at PB? :smile:

We've mentioned it several times.

She wasn't in with much of a chance - most complex Bishopric in England, no Episcopal experience, and up against a former Chief Nursing Officer of England.
    You are surely not suggesting they select on merit? How odd.
    I'm not being drawn into a conversation around how Bishops are selected in the CofE.

It's 1.02pm, so I only have 11:58 hours available before I turn into a pumpkin at midnight, and it is not long enough time. :wink:
  • Options
    Taz said:

IanB2 said:

I'd like you to know that I very much appreciate this reference.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

"Stop, she's already dead!"

On second thoughts...
  • Options
    July is in the second half of the year
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,153

Perhaps they have just calculated that there would be no room for tax cuts in the autumn, so that they need to go now?

The rumours started yesterday, when people were still expecting a larger decrease in inflation, though...

I agree that sooner rather than later is better for the country, and probably also better for the Tory party - but I can't understand why they would have suddenly decided that July is the best date.
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 552
    Sean_F said:

OTOH, growth should be pretty good for the rest of the year, interest rates will be cut, and wage rises will be running well above inflation. None of that guarantees an improvement, but it strengthens the case for waiting. IMHO.
    Could be true but who will care? 'Pretty good growth' for this Govt equals a disaster under most others. It just won't feed through in time to influence voters. The 'feel-good factor' is going to be very hard to conjure up once we are into October. Even more difficult in November. Totally impossible in January.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes, because even the most minor witnesses usually get a whole day, and I expect the other lawyers will probably spend the final day asking their questions.
  • Options
    From twitter - not me but it’s a better explanation than anything else

Watching Paula Vennels at Post Office inquiry. Scandal didn’t start on her watch. She could have fixed it. Says as CEO I didn’t know, but stacks of evidence disproves it. Fixing it would have affected profitability. That would have affected her bonus. Cover up for financial gain
  • Options
    edited May 22
    Andy_JS said:

Her response to a problem was to bury it as deeply as possible, and not know very much. She is quite good at awarding large salaries and bonuses to Proper People.

These are the ideal characteristics for the leaders of major organisations. According to the leadership of large organisation.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    20m
    If Rishi Sunak doesn’t call an election today it will be up there with Callaghan in ‘78, Brown ‘07 and Chelsea ‘24 for bottle jobs…
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,023
    edited May 22
    AlsoLei said:

The rumours started yesterday, when people were still expecting a larger decrease in inflation, though...

I agree that sooner rather than later is better for the country, and probably also better for the Tory party - but I can't understand why they would have suddenly decided that July is the best date.
    If the July inflation figure is on the rise July 4th avoids that. If there are no Rwanda flights due to Nor'Irn they can still be promised as imminent.

That said Sunak needs his two year anniversary legacy, and better still the history books recording Rishi Sunak, PM from 2022 to 2025.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,375
    Nigelb said:

This seems a spectacularly unlikely reaction, had it been true she was unaware of the PO's prosecutorial capacity and procedures at the time.

..Vennells says she personally spoke to John Scott, the Post Office’s former head of security, after the feedback from Second Sight and the mediation scheme.

“When you spoke to John Scott about this, did you say John, I’ve been in the organisation for five or six years, I didn’t know you had a team of 100 people that were investigating up and down the country sub-postmasters and sending them to prison. How come I didn’t know?” Beer asks.

Laughter can be heard in the inquiry room as Beer poses the question.

She says she spoke to him seriously about the culture at the Post Office and that the sub-postmasters were really important to us....

The met should interrupt the inquiry and arrest her and a few others for perjury.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,070
    edited May 22
    Paula Vennells is now saying that she responded to complaints from postmasters that came in by email, but not those complaints that came by post.

Remind me what organisation she ran again?
  • Options

Paula Vennells is now saying that she responded to complaints from postmasters that came in by email, but not those complaints that came by post.

Remind me what organisation she ran again?

She was a woman thrown by the all-Mail culture.

(She wouldn't, would she?)
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    20m
    If Rishi Sunak doesn’t call an election today it will be up there with Callaghan in ‘78, Brown ‘07 and Chelsea ‘24 for bottle jobs…

Neither, however, was a good option. The best that Callaghan could hope for was a hung Parliament, and the best that Brown could hope for was a very small majority.

• Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

For @TSE FPT:

How did I miss this?

She wasn't in with much of a chance - most complex Bishopric in England, no Episcopal experience, and up against a former Chief Nursing Officer of England.
    I'm not being drawn into a conversation around how Bishops are selected in the CofE.

It's 1.02pm, so I only have 11:58 hours available before I turn into a pumpkin at midnight, and it is not long enough time. :wink:
    It's 10:58, shurely?

#pedanticbetting.com
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 971
    MattW said:

MattW said:

For @TSE FPT:

How did I miss this?

The relevant episode of "Yes Prime Minister" provides all the details one might require.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,201
    General Election Date Announced

"2nd half of 2024"

January 2025 nailed on
  • Options
    eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

It is outrageous.
    The prosecution seems a bit excessive just give them10 years each and make them liable so that some of the costs can be recovered via their pensions, house….

And then a few tens of thousands of hours of community service, cleaning the homes of their victims every week as home helps

Actually yep - just 50 hours of community service per week for the next 15 years feels suitable punishment
    I propose a Bill of Attainder in the Commons.

“That the management of the Post Office between date X and date Y, be a declared a Criminal and Corrupt Organisation. Membership of this organisation shall incur a minimum penalty of life in prison.

Appeals shall be heard by a judicial committee consisting of those post office employees to whom the recent pardons were applied. After a waiting period of a decade.”
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

On the Harold Wilson in 1970 point does anyone remember an online bit of alternative history that Anthony Wells wrote called “If Gordon Banks Had Played”.

It theorised that if he had played England would have won and the resulting euphoria would have seen Harold Wilson re-elected. Heath was deposed and Enoch Powell elected as leader and eventually Prime Minister. Britain then goes down a kind of Putinist route with a full out war in Northern Ireland. It was rather far fetched but it was brilliantly told as a collection of fake bees stories, memoir extracts, government reports etc.

Yes, I do.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

On the Harold Wilson in 1970 point does anyone remember an online bit of alternative history that Anthony Wells wrote called “If Gordon Banks Had Played”.

It theorised that if he had played England would have won and the resulting euphoria would have seen Harold Wilson re-elected. Heath was deposed and Enoch Powell elected as leader and eventually Prime Minister. Britain then goes down a kind of Putinist route with a full out war in Northern Ireland. It was rather far fetched but it was brilliantly told as a collection of fake bees stories, memoir extracts, government reports etc.

Yes, I do.
    Where did the fake bees come in ?
  • Options
    eek said:

Taz said:

IanB2 said:

It’s another of those Mike Tyson against no hoper fights I mentioned last week
    You should look up Butterbean-Bart Gunn from Brawl for All.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

Yes, I do.
    It was an excellent read.

Wilson OTOH, made the mistake of going too early.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,235
    AlsoLei said:

Pesto, so usual caveats, but...

There is only one reason why I take gossip of an earlier election - 4 July or even late September- more seriously than I have taken previous rumours, which is that the Treasury is now clear that there is zero fiscal room for £10bn in tax cuts to be announced at a Chancellor event in the autumn - which was supposed to be the benign precursor to a November election (today’s worse-than expected-borrowing figures are only some of the data which has emptied the kitty)? So if there is no actual giveaway in September, why not hold the election earlier? For more on this, listen to tomorrow’s Rest is Money podcast conversation with brilliant @TorstenBell

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1793251625286471994

Maybe Sunak has concluded that the game is up, that there's no Cunning Plan to save him, that Things Can Only Get A Lot Worse.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,129
    edited May 22
    Cui bono from a July election?

Doesn't make sense. Far better to wait til the last moment and pray for a black swan or the boats to stop coming coz Rwanda

As I have said before, turkeys don't vote for Christmas to be brought forward, this seems to be exactly that
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,153
    edited May 22

I predict parliament will dissolve May 30th or June 4th for a July 11th election. He'll recall them from Whitsun to wash up.

There's the Whitsun recess from 23rd of May until 4th of June, so it would have to be the latter, surely? Recall without some sort of national emergency just look desperate.

(Which makes July 11th the most likely July date to my mind, but it'd make things very awkward in NI. Not that Sunak gives a fuck about that, of course...)
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,974
    Stereodog said:

Nice story but 1) had Banks played Brazil would have propbaly still won the world cup, 2) had England won the world cup, Heath would have still won the election (does football really influence voting behaviour to any significant event?) 3) Had Heath stood down in as LOTO in late 1971, Powell would not have become Tory leader.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,295
    Leon said:

Doesn't make sense. Far better to wait til the last moment and pray for a black swan or the boats to stop coming coz Rwanda

As I have said before, turkeys fon't vote for Christmas to be brought forward, this seems to be exactly that

Maybe Sunak has another job lined up and wants to go now.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,307
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

As I have said before, turkeys fon't vote for Christmas to be brought forward, this seems to be exactly that

Maybe Sunak has another job lined up and wants to go now.
    When is start of term for his daughters' new schools in California?
  • Options
    Calling an election when you're 20% in the polls would be a brave move.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,023
    edited May 22
    MP Matt Warman on WATO saying there is no election announcement today.

He says Rishi needs time for the excellent economic news to filter through. "We don't need the uncertainty of a General Election".

• Options
    Lord Puffy Face of Chipping Norton has cut a trip short to get back for cabinet....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,345
    @RobDotHutton

JOURNALESE COMMITTEE EMERGENCY RULING: Election speculation can now be described as "febrile". Please amend earlier descriptions of it as "mounting".
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 433
    eristdoof said:

Stereodog said:

Nice story but 1) had Banks played Brazil would have propbaly still won the world cup, 2) had England won the world cup, Heath would have still won the election (does football really influence voting behaviour to any significant event?) 3) Had Heath stood down in as LOTO in late 1971, Powell would not have become Tory leader.
    Agreed although football is probably just as likely to affect voting intentions as a set of inflation figures is.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,471
    AlsoLei said:

I predict parliament will dissolve May 30th or June 4th for a July 11th election. He'll recall them from Whitsun to wash up.

There's the Whitsun recess from 23rd of May until 4th of June, so it would have to be the latter, surely? Recall without some sort of national emergency just look desperate.

(Which makes July 11th the most likely July date to my mind, but it'd make things very awkward in NI. Not that Sunak gives a fuck about that, of course...)
    Why would it be awkward in Northern Ireland? The usual stuff will happen on the Twelfth as happens every year.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,345
    @ITVJoel

Treasury source dismisses rumours about Jeremy Hunt.

“It’s nonsense, he’s 100% not resigning”.

Source adds: “he’s 100% standing”, making the rumour about an election feel more solid!
This discussion has been closed.