Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can there be anything more symbolic than Monday’s Indy front page? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480
    edited November 2023
    I’m not voting Labour if Dave is back in government.

I’ll be voting Tory.

I ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Dave.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,020

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Tim Scott suspends his presidential campaign
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/12/tim-scott-presidential-campaign-00126793
    ...he remained at risk of failing to qualify for the next debate, which had even higher donor and polling criteria. The polling threshold for that debate, on Dec. 6 in Alabama, is 6 percent, a mark Scott has not been hitting. And the campaign had dwindling resources to try and improve his numbers, having spent significantly more than it had brought in. The campaign had $12.4 million in expenditures during the third fundraising quarter, while raising $4.6 million...

Five Republicans left then:

Donald Trump
    Ron DeSantis
    Vivek Ramaswarmy
    Nikki Haley
    Chris Christie

(Plus Doug Burgum and Asa Hutchinson, who theoretically have campaigns still going).

Can’t see Christie making the next debate either, so we’ll be down to four serious contenders before the primaries even start. Does Trump turn up for the December debate, if it’s only going to be four of them?
    Of course not, the debate is the race for second and he has already won.
    A more concentrated field doesn’t help him though. It creates a focal point around an alternative.

If DeSantis was smart he’d see now is not his time (if there ever will come a time, but that’s another point) and bow out. If it becomes Trump v Haley it potentially becomes interesting.
    The two way Trump v Haley breaks 50:15 at the moment. It is noticably better than Trump v RDS which is around 64:12.

On this side of the pond, observers overestimate how open Republicans are to changing their minds on Trump, and think events will change things. Yet his polling over the last year has steadily grown from mid 40s to high 50s despite numerous criminal trials, him starting to sound even more mad and heading further down the dictator is best route.

Western liberal democracy needs a lot of luck and good economic news over the next 12 months.
    Trump was President before and Western liberal democracy did not end. Le Pen is also ahead in French polls, Meloni is PM in Italy it is not as if the US is alone in shifting back to the populist right again potentially.

Though if Trump is convicted and jailed next year I doubt he will actually end up GOP candidate let alone President, though he may run as an Independent
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

No cricket today or tomorrow, so I guess we have to hope for a cabinet reshuffle?

Given your record on the cricket, you've just jinxed any hopes of that.
    Ahem!
    My post clearly unjinxed the jinx.
  • Options
    It's a Zombie Apocalypse. The UnDead are returning to Downing Street.....
  • Options
    Perhaps Rishi Sunak is going to appoint David Cameron as First Lord of the Treasury. He can then step back as Prime Minister Tech Bro and only do the interesting parts of the job like rimming Elon Musk.
  • Options
    Lord Home de nos jour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Cleverley called in - the new HS?

Has anyone ever moved from FS to HS before ?
    I can't think of an example of an immediate switch in a cabinet reshuffle, but Palmerston was Home Secretary about a year after having been Foreign Secretary.
  • Options

Nick Gibb sacked

Rejoice !
  • Options

My boy Dave the new Foreign Secretary????

If that happens then I’m on team Rishi

Tory Supporting Europhile?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,020

Bad Enoch also likely to be moved on: Sky.

She is absolutely hopeless so wouldn’t be a surprise.

If he sacks Badenoch too the ERG will almost certainly try and force a VONC in him, a promotion for her he may avoid that
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Unpopular said:

How is Cameron as FS going to work without him being an MP or a Lord?

Instant appointment to the Lords. Was the same with Mandelson.

It does however break the convention that we thought had been established that the Great Offices of State are not granted to the peerage - Carrington was the last and it has for some time been assumed final FS from the Lords.
    Maybe he got sick of being bed blocked by Blair and Brown (allegedly) not wanting to go to the Lord's and thought this is the best way?
    I thought the holdout was QEII and then Brown, rather than Blair. Liz wasn’t particularly keen on elevating Blair to the Order of the Garter, rumour has it, and had to be persuaded in order to clear the backlog of gongs that were due to other PMs. Brown genuinely isn’t interested in one though, I think.
  • Options
  • Options

I’ll be voting Tory.

I ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Dave.

Many a slip twixt leap and bound. This feels like the opening salvo in a Tory civil war. How many headbangers are there and what will they do next?

It might be that Suella finds herself a diminished figure now, but perhaps not.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,283
    edited November 2023
    Foreign Secretary is probably one of the better cabinet posts to give to a non-MP, because there's not much legislation or spending involved, and the PM nicks all the best bits of the job even more than for other departments.

But still. It's a bit weird if Cameron is brought back as FS, when he resigned over the defeat of the central plank of his foreign policy - keeping Britain in the EU.
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 91
    I honestly thought Dominic Raab would be the surprise return to cabinet today.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Did I hear that right, David Cameron as Foreign Secretary?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Tim Scott suspends his presidential campaign
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/12/tim-scott-presidential-campaign-00126793
    ...he remained at risk of failing to qualify for the next debate, which had even higher donor and polling criteria. The polling threshold for that debate, on Dec. 6 in Alabama, is 6 percent, a mark Scott has not been hitting. And the campaign had dwindling resources to try and improve his numbers, having spent significantly more than it had brought in. The campaign had $12.4 million in expenditures during the third fundraising quarter, while raising $4.6 million...

Five Republicans left then:

Donald Trump
    Ron DeSantis
    Vivek Ramaswarmy
    Nikki Haley
    Chris Christie

(Plus Doug Burgum and Asa Hutchinson, who theoretically have campaigns still going).

Can’t see Christie making the next debate either, so we’ll be down to four serious contenders before the primaries even start. Does Trump turn up for the December debate, if it’s only going to be four of them?
    Of course not, the debate is the race for second and he has already won.
    A more concentrated field doesn’t help him though. It creates a focal point around an alternative.

If DeSantis was smart he’d see now is not his time (if there ever will come a time, but that’s another point) and bow out. If it becomes Trump v Haley it potentially becomes interesting.
    The two way Trump v Haley breaks 50:15 at the moment. It is noticably better than Trump v RDS which is around 64:12.

On this side of the pond, observers overestimate how open Republicans are to changing their minds on Trump, and think events will change things. Yet his polling over the last year has steadily grown from mid 40s to high 50s despite numerous criminal trials, him starting to sound even more mad and heading further down the dictator is best route.

Western liberal democracy needs a lot of luck and good economic news over the next 12 months.
    Trump was President before and Western liberal democracy did not end. Le Pen is also ahead in French polls, Meloni is PM in Italy it is not as if the US is alone in shifting back to the populist right again potentially.

Though if Trump is convicted and jailed next year I doubt he will actually end up GOP candidate let alone President, though he may run as an Independent
    I don't follow French politics but Le Pen jnr doesn't seem the type to steal and rig elections. There is clearly historical baggage from her fathers party but her own vision, as much as I may disagree with much of it, does not seem like an existential threat to democracy. Trump is.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    edited November 2023

Foreign Secretary is probably one of the better cabinet posts to give to a non-MP, because there's not much legislation or spending involved, and the PM nicks all the best bits of the job even more than for other departments.

But still. It's a bit weird if Cameron is brought back as FS, when he resigned over the defeat of the central plank of his foreign policy - keeping Britain in the EU.

Unless...

THE PEOPLE'S VOTE
  • Options

I’ll be voting Tory.

I ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Dave.

That and the shoes ?
    One fetish ought to be enough for anyone.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Rumor
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644

One swallow doesn't make a summer.
  • Options
    Muesli said:

I honestly thought Dominic Raab would be the surprise return to cabinet today.

Dominic Cummingh. Appointed Baron Cummings of Barnard Castle, Minister of State for destroying the Cabinet Office.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    A more appropriate tune for TSE's GE2024 VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCthi3pFEQ
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    13/11/23 is Rishis last throw of the dice regarding GE2024

Lord Cameron incoming
  • Options
    kjh said:

Don’t misunderestimate the power of Dave.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited November 2023

Maybe Rishi is keen to sort out the relationship with the EU rather than leaving it to the next government?

Dave wants to make amends by cleaning up after himself?

Then again, perhaps the PM is just after a bit of advice.
  • Options
    Braverman makes a dignified statement:
    YER FUCKING DEAD SUNAK! I WILL FUCKING CLAW YOUR EYES OUT YER EFFETE BASTARD
  • Options
    Suella sacked and Dave back would mean I’ve got my fucking party back.
  • Options
    Braverman "I will have more to say in due course"

Great!

She should STFU
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Sandpit said:

No cricket today or tomorrow, so I guess we have to hope for a cabinet reshuffle?

What time is that scheduled to start play?
    Same time as usual, about half an hour ago.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

kjh said:

Don’t misunderestimate the power of Dave.
    Especially following yesterday's demonstration that he is taller than all other living ex-PMs.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,949
    If Cameron is made FS in the lords do Labour need to have their Shadow FS in the Lords and who is the current Labour Shadow FS?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Hamas claim to have built 300 miles of tunnels under Gaza. In 141 square miles of territory.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/02/1210087629/the-hamas-tunnels-a-wildcard-in-the-gaza-fighting

They could have tunnelled the whole of HS2....
    For very, very small trains... ;)
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Gibbo resigned, not sacked.
  • Options

He was also obsessed about attacking MENA countries.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,346
    Cameron would be an idiot to come back. He’d immediately be frustrated not to have the power, and….. whisper this quietly…. he is neither very good at detail nor very popular.

Lord Osborne from the Lords in DBT (and minister for Machiavellian tricks) might have helped Rishi in a Brown/Mandelson way.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    edited November 2023
    "I hear Suella was sacked for being too pig headed? Tell me about that."
  • Options
    The team Dave WhatsApp group is currently going mad.

Dave’s phone is switched off.

Only one tick.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited November 2023
    L
    boulay said:

If Cameron is made FS in the lords do Labour need to have their Shadow FS in the Lords and who is the current Labour Shadow FS?

No, most senior minister of state handles business in the Commons. The Secretary of State answers questions etc in the Lords, opposite a shadow Labour minister.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

For how long? I can't imagine many of the members who voted for Truss for leader or the MPs who preferred Suella will stay quiet for long. If Sunak thinks he can make a last stand of popular Tories pre Johnson I think he's in for a rough ride. If I were Cameron, getting involved again now would also be a risk to my legacy I wouldn't want to take - it only looks good in comparison to Johnson and Truss, if he gets back into the mire again with Sunak then everything that has been could get resurrected, and future things will stick that much harder.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,283
    According to the latest YouGov polling, only 18% of the public have a positive opinion of Cameron. That makes him less popular than Boris Johnson, John Major and Gordon Brown.

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/politics/popularity/UK-prime-ministers/all
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,278
    To confuse everyone, Rishi should appoint an AI avatar of the late Enoch Powell as business minister
  • Options
    William Hague next!
  • Options
    148grss said:

For how long? I can't imagine many of the members who voted for Truss for leader or the MPs who preferred Suella will stay quiet for long. If Sunak thinks he can make a last stand of popular Tories pre Johnson I think he's in for a rough ride. If I were Cameron, getting involved again now would also be a risk to my legacy I wouldn't want to take - it only looks good in comparison to Johnson and Truss, if he gets back into the mire again with Sunak then everything that has been could get resurrected, and future things will stick that much harder.
    Remember all the accusations about things Cameron tried to do during Covid for the firms he was advising? Well the inquiry is due to get to them in 2024….
  • Options
    148grss said:

Being Foreign Secretary is a fairly safe job. You get to do the foreign trips and a bit of solemn grandstanding, but you’re rarely called upon to comment on critical domestic issues of the day. Douglas-Home was FS under Heath in a similar way.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,842
    Wow if Cameron comes back that would be an amazing rabbit out of the hat . He’d have to be made a Lord first . Perhaps it’s some advisory role rather than FS . All will be revealed soon .
  • Options
    Good morning

I have many and several continuing health issues but Sunak sacking Braverman and Cameron in no 10 is quite a boost

Maybe get Hague and Osborne back as well
  • Options

What you and David Cameron get up to in your free time is nobody's business.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Only one tick.

LOL desperate times.
  • Options

According to the latest YouGov polling, only 18% of the public have a positive opinion of Cameron. That makes him less popular than Boris Johnson, John Major and Gordon Brown.

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/politics/popularity/UK-prime-ministers/all

Was thinking about this. While Cameron looks good to obsessives and centrists in the light of what came next, his legacy is tied up in Brexit and most people will remember him for starting this Tory shit show.

It's like Starmer bringing Blair back. Whatever his political talents are, he is tainted in the eyes of the electorate.
  • Options

William Hague next!

Summon Thatcha via a seance.
  • Options

Good morning

I have many and several continuing health issues but Sunak sacking Braverman and Cameron in no 10 is quite a boost

The Blue Brothers: "We're getting the band back together."
  • Options
    To be fair, if I remember correctly, Cameron did remain fairly popular with his own members/voters. He might help a dash for 35%.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,215

Good morning

...and the ghost of Mrs Thatcher.

Election winning theatre or just unfathomable bollocks?
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Good morning

More like a low budget remake of The Expendables..
  • Options
    Election cabinet for sure.
  • Options
    The most exciting political news in ages and I have to go to work.

The political reporter the BBC has on looks very excited, bless his socks, he's one of us!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    "CHHIINNNAAA rejoice" says one Tory MP

Rishi last reset is literally a massive gamble but he has nothing to lose.

Clare Coutinho as new CotE??
  • Options
    Blimey.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Wow if Cameron comes back that would be an amazing rabbit out of the hat . He’d have to be made a Lord first . Perhaps it’s some advisory role rather than FS . All will be revealed soon .

Lord Cameron of Greensill?
  • Options
    The other option is that Sunak is debating a flash election....
  • Options

"my fucking party "

Is that like one of those orgies Nadine was talking about ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Desperate times, desperate measures
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The battle for the soul of the Tory party has begun.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480
    edited November 2023
    Unpopular said:

The political reporter the BBC has on looks very excited, bless his socks, he's one of us!

He is.

Henry visits PB.
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

SKY News team were pissing themselves laughing earlier on!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,288
    edited November 2023
    Unpopular said:

How is Cameron as FS going to work without him being an MP or a Lord?

Obviously, it will be the latter. Assuming he hasn't just dropped by for tea.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,278
    Actually, with AI you could appoint anyone you like anywhere from history. Thatcher to Home Sec. Richard the Lionheart as Foreign Secretary thanks to his deep experience of the Levant. Vlad “the Impaler” Dracul as Schools Minister. Moominpappa as Business Sec (one for the Mumsnet crowd, there). Anus McPenis - a completely fictitious failed Scottish punk star, invented by me 13 seconds ago - as Deputy PM

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Where will Cameron be made Lord of ? Will he change his name like BSE burger Gummer ?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited November 2023

Good morning

Reshuffle?

Does that mean we are getting another pair of Transport and Housing Ministers.

They've been in for 13 and 8 months already, so we are overdue some more. :smile:

I wonder what Mr Cameron would be, apart from perhaps a new member of the Lords.
    While Cameron looks good to obsessives and centrists in the light of what came next, his legacy is tied up in Brexit and most people will remember him for starting this Tory shit show.
    I'd say that Mr Cameron's legacy is of firm declarations that he will do X, then running away when it lands on his desk.

See you all later; this has the feel of a "first world problems" week for me.
  • Options

"my fucking party "

Well I am single now.

Monogamy is too cruel a rule.

I once did say to Dave that winning a general election is like an orgy, you’re never sure who to thank afterwards.
  • Options
    You know in all of those nuclear war films / tv shows? The various people sat at monitors then one leans forward eyes widened before the klaxon starts sounding?

Thats what reshuffle day is like when we are awaiting the return of Bobby Ewing from the shower.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    edited November 2023
    nico679 said:

This makes a lot more sense electorally than going further to the right, but if he tries to go back towards the centre is Sunak strong enough to hold the party together?

Sue Ellen Braverman's parting shot - "I will have more to say in due course" - is scarcely surprising, but it doesn't bode well.
  • Options

"my fucking party "

Well I am single now.

Monogamy is too cruel a rule.

I once did say to Dave that winning a general election is like an orgy, you’re never sure who to thank afterwards.
    As long as theres enough of them thanking you thats all you need to worry about
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,288
    Sandpit said:

As if one foreign relations catastrophe isn't enough for any career....
  • Options
    Rishi's constant so far is being terrible at politics, so I'm not expecting that to change.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Good morning

More like a low budget remake of The Expendables..
    The Corruptibles.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

As if one foreign relations catastrophe isn't enough for any career....
    We might accidentally declare war of the US
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

Where will Cameron be made Lord of ? Will he change his name like BSE burger Gummer ?

Maybe Lord Cameron of Brussels like Montgomery of Alamein to commemorate his victorious campaign. Oh.
  • Options
    Strong indication Rishi won't leave the ECHR if SCOTUK rules against him wednesday.
  • Options
    Heck, if you’re going to roll the dice why not just go for it and thaw out some of the other Tories of yore. Willie Hague, Mrs May, Osborne. Just let them have one last battle!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lord Cameron of Chipping Norton.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Actually, with AI you could appoint anyone you like anywhere from history. Thatcher to Home Sec. Richard the Lionheart as Foreign Secretary thanks to his deep experience of the Levant. Vlad “the Impaler” Dracul as Schools Minister. Moominpappa as Business Sec (one for the Mumsnet crowd, there). Anus McPenis - a completely fictitious failed Scottish punk star, invented by me 13 seconds ago - as Deputy PM

Of course, even if left for an infinite period of time, no AI could imagine a scenario in which Rees-Mogg or Bone became ministers.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I mean, when he's right, he's right...

Yeah, imagine being ranked below Dave "Brexit" Cameron, the worst PM* of the postwar era.

* Assuming Truss doesn't count.
  • Options

Heck, if you’re going to roll the dice why not just go for it and thaw out some of the other Tories of yore. Willie Hague, Mrs May, Osborne. Just let them have one last battle!

Boris?
  • Options

Its not a stupid idea. The problem for the Conservative Party is that all the Conservatibves have gone to be replaced by Tory lunatics. Bring back sensible politicians and that poll deficit could close. Significantly.

He won't be that bold though.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Boris?
    Shh… not that one!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,842
    Chris said:

nico679 said:

This makes a lot more sense electorally than going further to the right, but if he tries to go back towards the centre is Sunak strong enough to hold the party together?

Sue Ellen Braverman's parting shot - "I will have more to say in due course" - is scarcely surprising, but it doesn't bode well.
    I’m wondering the implications for the what happens post SC ruling on Wednesday . If the shock of all shocks happens with Cameron this would suggest that Sunak is reluctant to go down the route of pulling out of the ECHR if the government loses .
  • Options
    The real surprise in the reshuffle will be the appointment of Lord Musk of Mars as Secretary of State for Science.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited November 2023
    a

Only one tick.

He was is the future once.
  • Options

That may be so, but looking at the smoking wreckage of a formerly functioning, well-run, self-confident country playing it's role at the heart of Europe, a member of the single market with full freedom of movement for its citizens around their own continent, I am not delighted at all.

Cameron and Osborne precipitated disaster for this country. Austerity and Brexit. What a legacy.
  • Options
    Ignore the Lib Dems on Dave.

They are still pissed he destroyed them.

From 62 MPs to 8 MPs on Dave’s watch.
  • Options
    Rishi has genuinely managed to both surprise and amaze me!

Wow.
  • Options
    If the Tories tack to the centre with unelected retreads and still lose, the headbangers own the future outright. It’s a big gamble.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Yay - she's gone!

Back to the backbenches

I didn't expect that.

I suspect it will further stir up party management issues for Rishi.
    You have won the 2023 PB Rogerdamus award.
    Perhaps. I expected Rishi to pull a rabbit out the hat at Conference, and he didn't, so thought he was all fart and no follow-through.

Politics is endlessly fascinating.
This discussion has been closed.