Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ceremonies – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,631

It is a shame how underwhelming today has been for many millions. But, there will be other days, a brighter future. Take heart.

As with everything in life, it is what you make it. If you set out to be uninspired then you can blame no one but yourself when that is the outcome.
    If you’re curious about the world, the coronation is unambiguously an interesting event.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]
    The coronation is a once in a generation event

Not necessarily, there were coronations in 1901, 1910, 1937, and 1953.

And also 1821, 1831 and 1838.
    1821 was the best, what with the Queen Consort banging on the Abbey Door demanding (unsuccessfully) to be let in. Subsequent iterations have been comparatively boring.
    Only the second time she ever banged George, as well.
    NON MI RICORDO - Crookshank 1820
    https://exhibits.library.duke.edu/exhibits/show/betweenthelines/item/5721
    That sounds as fishy as sturgeon.
    Yes. But does no good to carp about it.
    Are you trying to mussel in on my supremely elegant fish and politics pun?
    You're the one who opened the watergate. But I took the salmon(d) ladder.
    Weir are you going with that?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    kle4 said:

I haven't been back through all the comments, but what was the feeling about the royal comb over? Pulled it off? (as much as is possible)

Seemed ok to me. Though envious how much hair KCIII has compared to SSI2!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Back to politics.

I saw earlier that the Reform Party got a grand total of 6 seats at the locals. Across the whole country

To put this into some sort of perspective.

The Lincolnshire Independents got 10 seats in North Kesteven alone. Every one of their sitting councillors who were standing again were reelected and 3 new ones were also elected. There were also an additional 4 Independents elected not aligned with the Lincolnshire Independents. That is in one district.

That said. It is worth remembering that UKIP went for years in the early part of the 21st century gaining only a very few seats and that everyone took this as an indication they were of no consequence. And we all know how that ended in 2016.

UKIP just lost their last handful of seats.
    Indeed but they served their purpose and achievd their aims. Probably more than can be said for any other party in British politics. And the dustbin of history is a deep and wide. I am sure they will fit in there quite nicely.
    Their demise and the underwhelming performance of Reform show just how important, in a truly infuriating way, that arse Nigel Farage was.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298

rcs1000 said:

Successfully avoided the idiot crown by being on Skye most of the day. Does highlight why I say @JustGetATesla if getting an EV: public charging on the island is disgraceful.

Chargers in Uig and Portree not working. Broadford needed 3 remote start attempts before it would work - and I have a Chargeplace Scotland RFID card. Then it vended 41kW which meant even charging for an hour only boosted me from 16% to 66%

Not time wasted though. Fish and chips and a walk...

Fortunately Tesla is opening up its charging network to other EVs.
    Unfortunately. Even Tesla isn't building remotely enough chargers to keep up with the huuuge number of cars it is selling. We don't need foreign cars as well.

No Tesla chargers on Skye. Just shite.
    You could always write to Ian Blackford
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

1821 was the best, what with the Queen Consort banging on the Abbey Door demanding (unsuccessfully) to be let in. Subsequent iterations have been comparatively boring.
    Please don't start another round of dodgy fish puns - it's moray than I cod bear.
    I Think we just scaled new heights of awfulness.

I'm going to make that my sole contribution and go to bed.

Good night.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,354
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

I hake all these puns...
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Not gonna get cutthroat, if that's what you're implying. ADDENDUM - holy mackerel!
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    edited May 2023

Loch Duich. Bliss...

h. Bliss...

I once had a "Nick Palmer" type experience on the floor of the lounge in that hostel. Uni club trip, just after doing the 5 sisters and 3 brothers in full winter conditions.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,678
    The timing of the coronation was no doubt meant to divert attention from Sunak's predicted local election woes but it could well backfire.

Tory MPs mulling over their party's woeful performance in Thursday's locals will have been reminded today of the PM they could have had, and could still have.

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Please don't start another round of dodgy fish puns - it's moray than I cod bear.
    Sense you are a victim of group(er) think.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

I hake all these puns...
    Oh, take a pike, why don't you!
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Eabhal said:

Loch Duich. Bliss...

h. Bliss...

I once had a "Nick Palmer" type experience on the floor of the lounge in that hostel. Uni club trip, just after doing the 5 sisters and 3 brothers in full winter conditions.
    The sisters and brothers are mountains, in case anyone gets confused.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,420

It was all a bit of a damp squib today, wasn’t it? Not to worry, there will be other days

You seem desperate to run down something that millions enjoyed. What gives?
    I didn’t see much of it, so I’m not well placed to judge. I hope people enjoyed it.
    When I came off the water, from rowing, the next group out were all staring at the television.

Republicans and monarchists, foreigners and locals - we are a very mixed bunch at our rowing club, with a membership that is more than 50% women and more diverse than the average population. In London.

Apparently the Ukrainians are firing salutes at the Russians from the AS-90s we sent them.

Regardless of whether it's true or not, absolute class that someone thought to say so.
    I was being a little sardonic - the first videos of AS-90s in action have emerged.

Could someone do something about the appalling music tracks on these videos, by the way? And no, that doesn’t mean another mashup of Valhalla Rising.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,653

I reckon that William will be up for this antiquated nonsense when it is his turn. And even if he isn't, Kate will insist.

Yes, he is a prisoner of the institution. The crushing monstrosity of it all weighs heavily upon him,
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,678
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Loch Duich. Bliss...

h. Bliss...

The sisters and brothers are mountains, in case anyone gets confused.
    Too late for me.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Good night.
    Wahoo to you, to!
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,930
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Good night.
    Sleep whale.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Successfully avoided the idiot crown by being on Skye most of the day. Does highlight why I say @JustGetATesla if getting an EV: public charging on the island is disgraceful.

Chargers in Uig and Portree not working. Broadford needed 3 remote start attempts before it would work - and I have a Chargeplace Scotland RFID card. Then it vended 41kW which meant even charging for an hour only boosted me from 16% to 66%

Unfortunately. Even Tesla isn't building remotely enough chargers to keep up with the huuuge number of cars it is selling. We don't need foreign cars as well.

I see the German car manufacturers are whining that EVs are a bit hard.

Mind you, given the comments from a high level engineer at a car company a while back, perhaps not surprising.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,620

The timing of the coronation was no doubt meant to divert attention from Sunak's predicted local election woes but it could well backfire.

Tory MPs mulling over their party's woeful performance in Thursday's locals will have been reminded today of the PM they could have had, and could still have.

You shouldn't have shared that image. Another round of soiled undergarments amongst PB Tory gentlemen.
  • Options
    Personally speaking re: string of truly atrocious piscine puns, don't care to a-bass (or is it de-bass?) myself any further.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    LOL Max is 9th!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,456

Part of the art of living a good life is taking a role that fits you well and not squeezing yourself into a wrongly-shaped hole. Stretch, certainly, but don't contort.

Public life is better for having Penny Mordaunt in it, but carrying a sword with style, panache and strong biceps does not a Prime Minister make.
  • Options

You shouldn't have shared that image. Another round of soiled undergarments amongst PB Tory gentlemen.
    Not just gentlemen, not just Tories, and not just PBers.

Who designed Royal Penny's dress and hat (and sword carrier)? Not an arbiter of fashion, but think they did truly amazing job. As did she in wearing it.

Sword is pretty nifty also!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    boulay said:

Completely off topic, I believe the finest line in any song is in Paul Simon’s “Graceland” - “losing love is like a window in your heart, everyone sees you’re blown apart.”

There is an absolute truth delivered perfectly and not even in a maudlin romantic song.

Absolutely. An incredibly poignant line in a brilliant song.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,755
    Foxy said:

I reckon that William will be up for this antiquated nonsense when it is his turn. And even if he isn't, Kate will insist.

Yes, he is a prisoner of the institution. The crushing monstrosity of it all weighs heavily upon him,
    It would be a cool move by William to have his coronation in Edinburgh. After all, Scotland is where he went to university and met his consort and it's where his dear old granny went home to die. It might even convince a few Scots that in spite of the banter we do quite like them really.
  • Options

Part of the art of living a good life is taking a role that fits you well and not squeezing yourself into a wrongly-shaped hole. Stretch, certainly, but don't contort.

Public life is better for having Penny Mordaunt in it, but carrying a sword with style, panache and strong biceps does not a Prime Minister make.
    Yes. Very true both paragraphs.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,457
    Foxy said:

It does however give her one more talent than the current Prime Minister.
  • Options
    another great line:

“I’d rather live in his world than be without him in mine”
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

rcs1000 said:

Mind you, given the comments from a high level engineer at a car company a while back, perhaps not surprising.
    I used to have a Taycan, and it was frickin' awesome. Indeed, I switched from a Tesla to it, and didn't regret it a bit.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I thought it rather odd to have a fairly strict Hindu do the reading of the Gospel. He obviously doesn't believe it, but faked sincerity fairly well.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

Sure, but we don't seem very good at selecting good candidates for the job anyway, so might as well go with panache.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I used to have a Taycan, and it was frickin' awesome. Indeed, I switched from a Tesla to it, and didn't regret it a bit.
    The whining is about all that lovely investment in ICE and “can’t we leverage that for a bit longer”. That plus they are finding it hard to build a cheap EV.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“Raccoon dogs blamed for the Covid pandemic were not responsible, new analysis suggests, after samples at a Wuhan market were found to contain virtually no virus.

Last month a controversial study suggested that raccoon dog DNA found at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in January 2020 was mixed with Covid-19, providing “strong evidence” that coronavirus jumped to humans from the animals.”

I mean. Just stop now. It’s mortifying

Well, at least you seem to have forgotten your "the US blew up Nordstream" line. ;)
    Watch this and tell me, honestly, that it wasn’t the USA which blew the pipe, likely via a proxy

https://twitter.com/trevorjukes1/status/1650470571522531330?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    It was the USA which blew the pipe, by themselves or a proxy.

There. Honestly.

Or at least, there's no way to be anywhere near *certain* it was the US. Lots of different countries or groups may have had reason to do it; and given recent news, I'd still argue that the most likely culprits were Russia.
    I don't know why we're arguing about this, as the Germans have already said that the Ukrainians did it.
    Personally, I blame the French.
    re: who blew the pipeline, my working theory is . . . Penny Mordant MP RNR in a wetsuit.

NOT because it's plausible, but rather because concept will give much pleasure to many PBers. . . .

On more serious note, yet again in key royal ceremony for King Charles III (first was Investiture privy council) it is Penny Mordaunt who has stolen a part of the show. Thanks to her incredible presence as a royal sword bearer - literally in Coronation.

Something we were talking about this AM at my morning coffee circle. Rest didn't know her by name, but when I said, the woman with the sword, it was her presence on screen they mentioned.

Not sure we're talking Ingrid Bergman levels in the Royal Penny's case. But WAY above average for a politico.
    She's missed her shot. Being saddled with the dogs body role of Leader of the House is not a path to future greatness, though it has given her a presence at some major moments for her to include in her memoirs.
    Bit early to close the books on her, methinks. PM may not be PM material, but she's plenty young enough to achieve something, if she's got something in her to achieve.

AND a party with such a PR asset should NOT waste it, should harness it.

Having her up front at the Investiture and Coronation being consistent with that playbook.
    Maybe not PM material, but certainly curtain material.

And anyway, when has not being PM material stopped anyone of late?
  • Options

another great line:

"But, I'd trade all of my tomorrows, for one single yesterday, To be holdin' Bobby's body next to mine"

As sung by Janis Joplin
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Interesting YouGov have stopped publishing results to this question;

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/should-the-duchess-of-cornwall-become-queen-if-prince-charle-becomes-king

Last time they asked, in May ‘22, only 20% of Brits thought Camilla should be called “Queen.” Presumably, now, that number isn’t sufficiently high enough to publish.

I’d have thought it would be a bit higher, though? Maybe it’s gone down. Lol.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sure, but we don't seem very good at selecting good candidates for the job anyway, so might as well go with panache.
    Doubtful that PM PM is on the cards, for reasons cited.

Though possible she could be a figurehead in the role, sorta like W for Dick Cheney & Co.

My guess is that she's got enough to be a mid-level or even (truly) senior cabinet secretary. In roles hopefully where she can shine, for herself, her party and maybe even her country.

Sense she's up for that. (Via my own Coronation Day tin-foil Horse Guards helmet.)
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I thought it rather odd to have a fairly strict Hindu do the reading of the Gospel. He obviously doesn't believe it, but faked sincerity fairly well.
    Rishi didn't read the Gospel, as any proper Christian ought to know. If you can't tell the difference between a Gospel and an Epistle, why does it matter to you? And if you can't tell it was an Epistle WHEN HE TOLD YOU AT THE BEGINNING why do your opinions have any value at all?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,053
    Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“Raccoon dogs blamed for the Covid pandemic were not responsible, new analysis suggests, after samples at a Wuhan market were found to contain virtually no virus.

Last month a controversial study suggested that raccoon dog DNA found at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in January 2020 was mixed with Covid-19, providing “strong evidence” that coronavirus jumped to humans from the animals.”

I mean. Just stop now. It’s mortifying

Well, at least you seem to have forgotten your "the US blew up Nordstream" line. ;)
    Watch this and tell me, honestly, that it wasn’t the USA which blew the pipe, likely via a proxy

https://twitter.com/trevorjukes1/status/1650470571522531330?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    It was the USA which blew the pipe, by themselves or a proxy.

There. Honestly.

Or at least, there's no way to be anywhere near *certain* it was the US. Lots of different countries or groups may have had reason to do it; and given recent news, I'd still argue that the most likely culprits were Russia.
    I don't know why we're arguing about this, as the Germans have already said that the Ukrainians did it.
    Personally, I blame the French.
    re: who blew the pipeline, my working theory is . . . Penny Mordant MP RNR in a wetsuit.

NOT because it's plausible, but rather because concept will give much pleasure to many PBers. . . .

On more serious note, yet again in key royal ceremony for King Charles III (first was Investiture privy council) it is Penny Mordaunt who has stolen a part of the show. Thanks to her incredible presence as a royal sword bearer - literally in Coronation.

Something we were talking about this AM at my morning coffee circle. Rest didn't know her by name, but when I said, the woman with the sword, it was her presence on screen they mentioned.

Not sure we're talking Ingrid Bergman levels in the Royal Penny's case. But WAY above average for a politico.
    She's missed her shot. Being saddled with the dogs body role of Leader of the House is not a path to future greatness, though it has given her a presence at some major moments for her to include in her memoirs.
    Bit early to close the books on her, methinks. PM may not be PM material, but she's plenty young enough to achieve something, if she's got something in her to achieve.

AND a party with such a PR asset should NOT waste it, should harness it.

Having her up front at the Investiture and Coronation being consistent with that playbook.
    Maybe not PM material, but certainly curtain material.

And anyway, when has not being PM material stopped anyone of late?
    She wasn’t Curtana material - she only got to carry the Sword of Offering, not the Sword of Mercy
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited May 2023

another great line:

I'd rather have fifty percent of him
    Or any percent of him
    Than all of anybody else at all
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Possible, and positive, to respect and draw wisdom from scripture(s) of faith(s) one does NOT adhere.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

He could have given us a reading about the blue bloke who goes around shagging milk maids.
  • Options
    ….
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Agreed. That was particularly poor. But why have religion anyway? A celebration of the country would have been better, and more likely to enthuse, yet we got a prolonged sermon from the 1890s.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    Prigozhin explicitly announced the termination of PMC Wagner's participation in the war effective immediately, citing the loss of battle-worthiness due to significant losses caused (he claims) by MoD's artificial throttling of supply of munitions to Wagner

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1654962737494016001?s=20
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Possible, and positive, to respect and draw wisdom from scripture(s) of faith(s) one does NOT adhere.
    True enough. There are some Hindus that regard Jesus as an incarnation of Krishna.

• Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

He could have given us a reading about the blue bloke who goes around shagging milk maids.
    As a former Leader of the Tory and Conservative Party once memorably pointed out, ancient Brits were fond of painting themselves blue.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Agreed. That was particularly poor. But why have religion anyway? A celebration of the country would have been better, and more likely to enthuse, yet we got a prolonged sermon from the 1890s.
    As was obvious today, Coronation is in the context of an Anglican service, and specifically binds the Monarch to ensuring a Protestant Succession.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407

It was all a bit of a damp squib today, wasn’t it? Not to worry, there will be other days

You seem desperate to run down something that millions enjoyed. What gives?
    I didn’t see much of it, so I’m not well placed to judge. I hope people enjoyed it.
    I don't particularly care about the Monarchy. I was at the Graffiti Street art exhibition at the Saatchi when the Coronation happened. It's a great exhibition but only on until Monday.

However, how much of a sad fuck do you have to be to go down to Trafalgar Sq and hold signs up when you have an event taking place that gives pleasure to millions, if not myself.

What a sad bunch of pathetic, saddo losers. Fuck the show off Republicans, they are just a miserable bunch of pathetic wankers.
    Why are you so aggressive? Try to enjoy life more. It’s okay.
    TKC might be right though. What did the protesters hope to achieve, other than spoiling some small and harmless pleasure for millions? Not higher wages or the righting of some terrible injustice. It's not like King Charles would have seen them on the evening news and thought: blimey, they're right, I'd better abdicate.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    They were doing so well…..

My coronation highlight? This clusterfuck of a paragraph from the New York Times on how Anglophile Americans have been marking the occasion.

https://twitter.com/JonLipseyMedia/status/1654940950190333955?s=20
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Are you talking about John Major who is in the back of that picture? 😃
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

They made a point of including other faiths. Even left-footers.

However, no place for those who don't believe in any form of hocus pocus.

I guess the gullibility of religious belief aligns with the gullibility of supporting a hereditary head of state.

The only place for us atheist republicans in today's shenanigans is a night in the cells.
  • Options

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2023

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I guess the gullibility of religious belief aligns with the gullibility of supporting a hereditary head of state.

The only place for us atheist republicans in today's shenanigans is a night in the cells.
    I think Charles has overplayed his hand.

It’s downhill from here, for the monarchy. The most likely outcome is they fade into irrelevance, but abolition may well happen in my lifetime.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

He is younger than Joe Biden!

He could be our next PM!
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

That can be true, but it was hardly one of the ones imparting deep multifaceted wisdom applicable to all peoples. It was just one of the ones saying God is responsible for all and through Jesus we find redemption. I have to imagine there are quite a few saying that.

Very appropriate indeed for a Christian ceremonial rite, and no doubt Rishi had no qualms, but it's not exactly the Golden Rule in its universality.

I assume it was chosen because it makes reference to how thrones were created by God too, as are all things.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Foxy said:

Go and live in Argentina, it’s much better there
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nah, quite happy here.

Indeed I am pro monarchy, but also pro-taking-the -mickey from the monarchy.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

They were doing so well…..

My coronation highlight? This clusterfuck of a paragraph from the New York Times on how Anglophile Americans have been marking the occasion.

https://twitter.com/JonLipseyMedia/status/1654940950190333955?s=20

The Land of Make Believe!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I don’t find it “odd” at all. I find it “odd” in a country that wants to be open and multicultural that anyone should think anything bad or strange of someone from any religion reading something from another religious text in a way that is meant to bring harmony and be part of the greater good.

A Hindu reading from a bible in an abbey for a nation of many religions is what the world should be - if you find it odd then it’s on you not the situation being wrong.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Aha, but there you are wrong - around all the religious frappery which framed it deeply, there were multiple explicit references to promising to govern according to the law and customs of realms and territories, defending privileges established by law, of the church being established by law, the coronation oath being enshrined in law etc. It was confirmed by him physically signing documents like he was signing for a package at the post office.

Furthermore, the main non hocus pocus version was the the stuff done immediately after the Queen died, when he signed paperwork and made an oath in normal clothes in a plain room with no fanfare or gilded ceremony.

Signing a declaration and making an oath according to the law. Definitely something for people who do not believe in hocus pocus.
  • Options

And non-Tories :blush:
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Indeed I am pro monarchy, but also pro-taking-the -mickey from the monarchy.
    They do make it easy sometimes!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Well.
    I managed to successfully ignore it all.
    If it makes people happy then great. Like Formula 1.
    Doesn't mean I have to watch. Nor comment. Nor have strong opinions.
    Except. I just did.
    I'm a hypocrite.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

That can be true, but it was hardly one of the ones imparting deep multifaceted wisdom applicable to all peoples. It was just one of the ones saying God is responsible for all and through Jesus we find redemption. I have to imagine there are quite a few saying that.

Very appropriate indeed for a Christian ceremonial rite, and no doubt Rishi had no qualms, but it's not exactly the Golden Rule in its universality.

I assume it was chosen because it makes reference to how thrones were created by God too, as are all things.
    Am still interested they invited a Theravadin Buddhist but no Mahayana representative.
    The idea that all things are created by a mind not by a God is a little edgy.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I don’t find it “odd” at all. I find it “odd” in a country that wants to be open and multicultural that anyone should think anything bad or strange of someone from any religion reading something from another religious text in a way that is meant to bring harmony and be part of the greater good.

A Hindu reading from a bible in an abbey for a nation of many religions is what the world should be - if you find it odd then it’s on you not the situation being wrong.
    Do you think we'll ever have a Hindu, or Muslim, or Jewish head of state? Or does the, ah, hereditary principle preclude that?
  • Options

He is younger than Joe Biden!

He could be our next PM!
    The sad thing is. He'd be a serious upgrade on the last 8 Tory leaders.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

True enough. There are some Hindus that regard Jesus as an incarnation of Krishna.

Citation?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,936
    edited May 2023
    boulay said:

ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

Completely off topic, I believe the finest line in any song is in Paul Simon’s “Graceland” - “losing love is like a window in your heart, everyone sees you’re blown apart.”

There is an absolute truth delivered perfectly and not even in a maudlin romantic song.

I've always had a soft spot for Bjorks line "I thought I could organise freedom, how very Scandinavian of me".
    It just doesn’t have the same deep sadness, Paul Simon’s rib cage has been replaced with plexiglass so they can see he’s sad but Bjork is just a bit violently unhappy and will write some protest to her VŒrfoÊling (I made that up).
    If you want a bit of sadness, I was really moved by one of Tricky's recent tracks written after his daughter hung herself.

"Hate This Pain" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jQc07iDn0

Don’t want sadness and love tricky but in his earlier Maxinquaye days. I’ve just found a song where the sisters of mercy do “temple of love” with Ofra Haza. Who knew?
    In that era, he also did a cracking track which borrowed from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me :smile:

Smoking Beagles : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lCuV_NlBo

Twin Peaks (The Pink Room - and NSFW) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsttKnIFrR8&t=98s

• Options

boulay said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Do you think we'll ever have a Hindu, or Muslim, or Jewish head of state? Or does the, ah, hereditary principle preclude that?
    Does it matter? Does the head of state need to be your religion? Do non Catholics in the US find it intolerable under Biden? Should all Protestants in the Republic of Ireland leave? Is India better for having a head of State who is Hindu or would it be less fractious with a minority Muslim head of State?

The fact is our head of state is CofE, I’m not but it doesn’t bother me because he’s not forcing me to follow his beliefs.

As a man I didn’t feel left out when we had a female Monarch, why do you feel it’s a problem what the King or Queen is?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Citation?
    https://krishna.org/christ-and-krishna-the-name-is-the-same/
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792
    edited May 2023
    Zadok the Priest, 2023 Coronation, https://youtu.be/Taf2haEMsSQ?t=83
    Zadok the Priest, 1953 Coronation, https://youtu.be/Y3qH0rpwwe4?t=88
    Zadok the Priest, 1937 Coronation, https://youtu.be/P60xNeZ2Yms?t=150

And in fiction, in "The Crown": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iZ4ekgV0h0
  • Options
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Does it matter? Does the head of state need to be your religion? Do non Catholics in the US find it intolerable under Biden? Should all Protestants in the Republic of Ireland leave? Is India better for having a head of State who is Hindu or would it be less fractious with a minority Muslim head of State?

The fact is our head of state is CofE, I’m not but it doesn’t bother me because he’s not forcing me to follow his beliefs.

As a man I didn’t feel left out when we had a female Monarch, why do you feel it’s a problem what the King or Queen is?
    It's a question of equality. Equality of opportunity.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nothing wrong with someone reading out something they believe, whether from their own faith or from none. There are many suitable passages in the traditions of nearly every religion.

The passage though does specify forgiveness of sin, by the blood of the son of God, which is a rather specifically Christian bit of Theology.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    edited May 2023
    I didn't see it, but my wife tells me they had a 'bracelet of sincerity' as part of his kit.
    Is this real, or was she winding me up ?

Sounds like something from Wonder Woman.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Foxy said:

boulay said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nothing wrong with someone reading out something they believe, whether from their own faith or from none. There are many suitable passages in the traditions of nearly every religion.

The passage though does specify forgiveness of sin, by the blood of the son of God, which is a rather specifically Christian bit of Theology.
    I don’t have a problem with someone reading out something they don’t believe in. Most of the nonsense we say in church services is complete make believe, but the ritual is fun. The ritual today was fun.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

The best version of Zadok the Priest on telly was right at the start of the spies episode of Endeavour (series 5, episode 5, and surely the costume department has messed up the St John Ambulance uniforms: shouldn't the bags be on the other hip?).
    https://www.itv.com/watch/endeavour/2a1229/2a1229a0022
  • Options
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I don’t have a problem with someone reading out something they don’t believe in. Most of the nonsense we say in church services is complete make believe, but the ritual is fun. The ritual today was fun.
    Sure, many people don't, but some do.

For example I wouldn't be willing to read a lesson in a Mosque saying "There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his Prophet" because I do not believe it.

• Options

viewcode said:

The best version of Zadok the Priest on telly was right at the start of the spies episode of Endeavour (series 5, episode 5, and surely the costume department has messed up the St John Ambulance uniforms: shouldn't the bags be on the other hip?).
    As it seems to be the day to post things that make people cry, did you see the ending of Endeavour? I was impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvfLf652SFU
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,651
    viewcode said:

Impressed that they recorded the sound in 1937.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008

boulay said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

If a future Prince of Wales married a Hindu or Muslim or Jew and their child also married someone of the same religion not impossible they could provided they promised to uphold the Protestant religion as the established Christian church
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Most of the UK population believe in God and without any religious element having watched the ceremony it would have lacked some of the Majesty and sacred nature it had.
  • Options

This 'antiquated nonsense' has lasted for a thousand years for a century
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    Andy_JS said:
    I had no idea that was a film. I read the book a while ago.
  • Options
    Oddly restrained from the Star. Not even a 'King Chas Sausage Fingers'?

• Options
    edited May 2023
    NYT - Mage wins the 149th Kentucky Derby.

Mage, ridden by Javier Castellano, led a field of 18 horses to win the 149th running of the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, just hours after the morning-line favorite, Forte, became the fifth horse scratched ahead of the race.

Before the excitement on the racetrack, there was an air of drama and solemnity surrounding this year’s Derby, with at least seven horses dying at Churchill Downs in the days leading to the race.

On Thursday, Lord Miles, trained by Saffie Joseph Jr., was scratched by stewards after two of Joseph’s horses had collapsed and died in the past week at Churchill Downs. Two other horses, not trained by Joseph, had also died after sustaining leg injuries, including Wild on Ice, a colt who was also scheduled to run in the Derby. The deaths prompted an investigation by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.

Then three other horses, Practical Move, Skinner and Continuar, were scratched on Friday, and another shock came Saturday morning when the morning-line favorite, Forte, was scratched by veterinarians because of a bruised right front hoof. Forte was named last year’s 2-year-old champion and had won six of his seven races. He is well bred and trained by Todd Pletcher, a Hall of Famer. He was to be ridden by the nation’s top jockey, Irad Ortiz Jr.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

As it seems to be the day to post things that make people cry, did you see the ending of Endeavour? I was impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvfLf652SFU
    John Thaw and Shaun Evans as Endeavour Morse recite How Clear, How Lovely Bright by A. E. Housman.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roGErLHedsQ
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

John Thaw and Shaun Evans as Endeavour Morse recite How Clear, How Lovely Bright by A. E. Housman.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roGErLHedsQ
    :)

Ensanguining the skies
    How heavily it dies
    Into the west away;
    Past touch and sight and sound
    Not further to be found,
    How hopeless under ground
    Falls the remorseful day.

...and now I am definitely going to bed. Nytol.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,651
    "Why the Coronation left me feeling sad
    My conservative heart was moved, but the country is too far changed
    Niall Gooch"

https://unherd.com/thepost/why-the-coronation-left-me-feeling-sad/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Niall Gooch"

Similar criticisms have been made on here. The purpose of the coronation was not explained; the service was beautiful, but dragged; the more religious parts seemed out of kilter, out of time. There was the tin-eared demand, later amended to opportunity, for us plebs to pledge allegiance. The weather put the kybosh on street parties but there was little discernible interest even from the retail sector. Right from the start, even the King seemed to set an apologetic rather than celebratory tone.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,820

There she is... our brilliant pagan goddess of war Penny as named by @OnlyLivingBoy ... Surely the next LOTO and PM but one... 👑
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sandpit said:

LOL Max is 9th!

I've only seen the first season of drive to survive. Does his character arc improve in later seasons 😂
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Niall Gooch"

Similar criticisms have been made on here. The purpose of the coronation was not explained; the service was beautiful, but dragged; the more religious parts seemed out of kilter, out of time. There was the tin-eared demand, later amended to opportunity, for us plebs to pledge allegiance. The weather put the kybosh on street parties but there was little discernible interest even from the retail sector. Right from the start, even the King seemed to set an apologetic rather than celebratory tone.
    All the street parties I’m aware of are tomorrow. Well, today now.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Morning all!
    Just back from a street party.
    A pretty small affair, really. A cul-de-sac behind our road who to be honest declare a street party at the drop of a hat. Yet it was fun, and interesting, and cross-generational. The coronation itself acted as no more than a conversation starter with people who you might otherwise not know - though the (mildly flirtatious) woman who had celebrated the previous coronation in the same house and at a street party on the same street was interesting (she mildly lamented that there were only three people on the road who had been there for the previous coronation, though I found it amazing it was as many as that). I (surprisingly) enjoyed the coronation quiche someone had baked, and (less surprisingly) a large amount of cake and beer.
    There was a lot of bunting up, but really, people were much keener to talk about a) each other, b) football, or c) hyper-local celebrities of yesteryear, in particular Pat Phoenix, Joe Corrigan, and Syd Little, and the possibly salacious parties enjoyed by one of them.
    The evening then condensed into the pub that one of my freind/neighbours has built in his back garden.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    edited May 2023
    Cookie said:

Morning all!
    Just back from a street party.
    A pretty small affair, really. A cul-de-sac behind our road who to be honest declare a street party at the drop of a hat. Yet it was fun, and interesting, and cross-generational. The coronation itself acted as no more than a conversation starter with people who you might otherwise not know - though the (mildly flirtatious) woman who had celebrated the previous coronation in the same house and at a street party on the same street was interesting (she mildly lamented that there were only three people on the road who had been there for the previous coronation, though I found it amazing it was as many as that). I (surprisingly) enjoyed the coronation quiche someone had baked, and (less surprisingly) a large amount of cake and beer.
    There was a lot of bunting up, but really, people were much keener to talk about a) each other, b) football, or c) hyper-local celebrities of yesteryear, in particular Pat Phoenix, Joe Corrigan, and Syd Little, and the possibly salacious parties enjoyed by one of them.
    The evening then condensed into the pub that one of my freind/neighbours has built in his back garden.

Oh, and someone had brought along tbis:

This discussion has been closed.