Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ceremonies – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

geoffw said:

Who could have failed to be impressed by the appearance of the St Augustine bible which he brought from Rome 1425 years ago?

That was absolutely gobsmackingly magnificent. If I were to choose one thing from the day that would. Then ZA-DOCK the PRIEST Rejoice, Rejoice, Rejoice

That said, one underrated moment was Chas in his cassock just before he was anointed. There was a hell of a lot of history in that. The King humble before the Lord as he prepared to accept his sacred role.

Which "Lord"?
    Sutch?
    Traci?
    More in Andrew's line?
    Yeah, fair point!
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    maxh said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

A question if I may....the governement whether labour , tory or lib dem restricts the right to do something....it is a civil liberty matter.... I agree

Protestors who are probably a small minority of people compared to the electorate restrict the right to do something such as drive down a road....why is that them not restricting civil liberties?

I am all for the right of protest......I really don't give a damn about your right to protest when it interferes with my right to ignore you and deem you ignorant twats with neither a case nor a relevant cause.

It’s a good question worth asking.

A few thoughts that might or might not add up to an answer:
    - restrictions of other people’s rights through eg road protests are temporary and the exception cf a temporary Covid lockdown not posing the same civil liberties issues as compared to permanently requiring voter ID*.
    - the downside of restricting people’s rights through protest has the very significant upside that it provides a way for citizens to challenge state power. States restricting individuals’ rights doesn’t have the same upside so is harder to justify.
    - The right to protest is only a meaningful limit on state power if it inconveniences people. That’s not pretty, but is probably necessary.

* I think sometimes XR protests stretch this ‘temporary and exceptional’ criterion and lose legitimacy as a result.
    -
    Fair point, and while I am in general in favour of the right to protest. I do draw the line where there right to protest impinges on my rights to do stuff. Really don't give a rats arse how temporary it is.

Simple fact is protest in my view is absolutely pointless, if it ever changed anything they may have an argument. Legal protest even the million or two that marched against the iraq war never changed a single thing. Now protests that are violent and illegal have done so which argues legal protest is pointless so just forbid it all as only protests that are illegal even before the laws were changed ever made a difference...thinking poll tax her. Only example I can actually come up with is poll tax right now
    What often isn’t discussed is the right to protest and/or the right to disruptive protest.

Some years ago, I was discussing the tactic of kettling with some of the professional protest types. Their view that it was evil, wrong, immoral etc, not because of some fundamental rights.

But because it blocked their ability to stage a *disruptive* protest.
    Kettling is okay in my view.

Otoh I remember a climate protest ( might have been called climate camp?) where a bunch of people set up tents on Liverpool Street, blocking it for a few hours. The police cleared it by just walking in a line in riot gear down the street, arm in arm. They trampled all the tents, some with people still inside. That went over the line of state violence in my view (although I can see why they felt there was no other option).
    I caused some confusion in the conversation by asking if the Police didn’t have a right to disruptive, law breaking protest as well…
    I know you’re being slightly tongue-in-cheek but the obvious answer is that the police represent state power and the protesters don’t!
    Simple solution...allow people to deal with protestors...if the protestors have the support of most people they wont have any problems....when they are just disruptive arseholes that have no public support they will end up being dumped on the side of the road after being forcibly deglued from roads they are blocking.....shouldnt be an issue I would have thought as these protestors claim the public is behind them
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,998
    Just imagine if Rees Mogg was still Speaker .

He would have had that starring role in the Coronation !
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,712

Penny Mordaunt just doesn't do it for me. Far too strict.

That's the appeal for Tories, I think.
    A fair few of them would appear to have emptied their gonads today if PB is representative.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    edited May 2023
    maxh said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

A question if I may....the governement whether labour , tory or lib dem restricts the right to do something....it is a civil liberty matter.... I agree

Protestors who are probably a small minority of people compared to the electorate restrict the right to do something such as drive down a road....why is that them not restricting civil liberties?

I am all for the right of protest......I really don't give a damn about your right to protest when it interferes with my right to ignore you and deem you ignorant twats with neither a case nor a relevant cause.

- restrictions of other people’s rights through eg road protests are temporary and the exception cf a temporary Covid lockdown not posing the same civil liberties issues as compared to permanently requiring voter ID*.
    - the downside of restricting people’s rights through protest has the very significant upside that it provides a way for citizens to challenge state power. States restricting individuals’ rights doesn’t have the same upside so is harder to justify.
    - The right to protest is only a meaningful limit on state power if it inconveniences people. That’s not pretty, but is probably necessary.

* I think sometimes XR protests stretch this ‘temporary and exceptional’ criterion and lose legitimacy as a result.
    -
    Fair point, and while I am in general in favour of the right to protest. I do draw the line where there right to protest impinges on my rights to do stuff. Really don't give a rats arse how temporary it is.

Simple fact is protest in my view is absolutely pointless, if it ever changed anything they may have an argument. Legal protest even the million or two that marched against the iraq war never changed a single thing. Now protests that are violent and illegal have done so which argues legal protest is pointless so just forbid it all as only protests that are illegal even before the laws were changed ever made a difference...thinking poll tax her. Only example I can actually come up with is poll tax right now
    What often isn’t discussed is the right to protest and/or the right to disruptive protest.

Some years ago, I was discussing the tactic of kettling with some of the professional protest types. Their view that it was evil, wrong, immoral etc, not because of some fundamental rights.

Otoh I remember a climate protest ( might have been called climate camp?) where a bunch of people set up tents on Liverpool Street, blocking it for a few hours. The police cleared it by just walking in a line in riot gear down the street, arm in arm. They trampled all the tents, some with people still inside. That went over the line of state violence in my view (although I can see why they felt there was no other option).
    I caused some confusion in the conversation by asking if the Police didn’t have a right to disruptive, law breaking protest as well…
    I know you’re being slightly tongue-in-cheek but the obvious answer is that the police represent state power and the protesters don’t!
    But the police are, quite specifically, supposed to be just citizens doing a job. Rather than a paramilitary force with legal immunities etc. See Peelian principles…

Where does it say they lose the rights of an ordinary citizen?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,511

Well that was all a bit rubbish wasn’t it?

What a tragic wet fart of a man you are
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

maxh said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

-

But the police are, quite specifically, supposed to be just citizens doing a job. Rather than a paramilitary force with legal immunities etc. See Peelian principles…

tbf Maxh has a point the police are meant to be just that but as we have seen of late the police seem to think they are over and above ordinary citizens and normal codes of conduct don't apply to them
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,431

Penny Mordaunt just doesn't do it for me. Far too strict.

That's the appeal for Tories, I think.
    A fair few of them would appear to have emptied their gonads today if PB is representative.
    And non-Tories too :blush:
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 835

maxh said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

-

Yeah good point.

Though many ordinary citizens lose rights by dint of their employment. I definitely do as a teacher. That’s part of the role.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134
    ….
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

There was a camera angle from above as a detachment of the Blue and Royals was trit-trotting through which was pretty much exactly like those photos of 1953 or perhaps Churchill's funeral.

Perhaps it was the rain rendering everything colourless and the navy tunics accentuating the monochrome. It was a just a moment but one of a past age.

I assume that when the BBC said it was the biggest military procession for seventy years, it was Churchill’s funeral that holds the record?
    Churchill's funral ppparently involved around 2,500 military personnel. This one was apparently 6,000.
    So what happened seventy years ago?
    The Coronation of Elizabeth II
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,359
    nico679 said:

Speaker ?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

There was a camera angle from above as a detachment of the Blue and Royals was trit-trotting through which was pretty much exactly like those photos of 1953 or perhaps Churchill's funeral.

Perhaps it was the rain rendering everything colourless and the navy tunics accentuating the monochrome. It was a just a moment but one of a past age.

I assume that when the BBC said it was the biggest military procession for seventy years, it was Churchill’s funeral that holds the record?
    Churchill's funral ppparently involved around 2,500 military personnel. This one was apparently 6,000.
    So what happened seventy years ago?
    The Coronation of Elizabeth II
    I lost count of the number of times my grandmother stood to attention !!!!!
  • Options

nico679 said:

Speaker ?
    Lol. Yes she’s the Leader but it still applies . We would have had to suffer Mogg .
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

F

geoffw said:

Who could have failed to be impressed by the appearance of the St Augustine bible which he brought from Rome 1425 years ago?

That was absolutely gobsmackingly magnificent. If I were to choose one thing from the day that would. Then ZA-DOCK the PRIEST Rejoice, Rejoice, Rejoice

That said, one underrated moment was Chas in his cassock just before he was anointed. There was a hell of a lot of history in that. The King humble before the Lord as he prepared to accept his sacred role.

Yes, that was a superb and poignant moment.
    For me if would be Zadok. The build up is magnificent: the slow crescendo until you think it’s about to climax, then the surprise easing down, then the renewed and even more urgent crescendo before that deafening first line. I’ve sung it many times as both treble and tenor, though not for a few years now, and it’s one of those pieces that gets the spine shivering. But in the context of an actual coronation it’s at another level.

As many have commented it does unfortunately nowadays get one thinking of the Champions league too, but not even that’s enough to spoil it.
    Especially when it is (beautifully) sung for the anointing of an English king, in a coronation ceremony at Westminster Abbey. The exact thing it was designed to celebrate in the same exact place

That perfect collision of art, architecture, ritual, religion and history is extremely rare in human affairs. No wonder it was spine tingling

And apparently King Edgar in 973AD had a reading of “sadoc the prieste” at HIS coronation

So this is a 1100 year old ritual continuously celebrated - which further dates back to the writing of the Bible when the Jews were captive in Babylon
    Naught but mystic mumbo-jumbo :lol:
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Speaker ?
    Lol. Yes she’s the Leader but it still applies . We would have had to suffer Mogg .
    No don't go there
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

I see Harry has done a runner back to the States. He's made a bit of a tit of himself over this coronation.

He is well out of it
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,900
    edited May 2023
    nico679 said:

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,516
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Speaker ?
    Weirdly it’s been commonly thought Penny was put in her current role to keep her out of mischief, but it’s actually given her an excellent profile now.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

F

geoffw said:

For me if would be Zadok. The build up is magnificent: the slow crescendo until you think it’s about to climax, then the surprise easing down, then the renewed and even more urgent crescendo before that deafening first line. I’ve sung it many times as both treble and tenor, though not for a few years now, and it’s one of those pieces that gets the spine shivering. But in the context of an actual coronation it’s at another level.

As many have commented it does unfortunately nowadays get one thinking of the Champions league too, but not even that’s enough to spoil it.
    Especially when it is (beautifully) sung for the anointing of an English king, in a coronation ceremony at Westminster Abbey. The exact thing it was designed to celebrate in the same exact place

That perfect collision of art, architecture, ritual, religion and history is extremely rare in human affairs. No wonder it was spine tingling

And apparently King Edgar in 973AD had a reading of “sadoc the prieste” at HIS coronation

So this is a 1100 year old ritual continuously celebrated - which further dates back to the writing of the Bible when the Jews were captive in Babylon
    Pass the sick buckets
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I see Harry has done a runner back to the States. He's made a bit of a tit of himself over this coronation.

He is well out of it
    The issue is that he says he wants out of it, but still wants all the baubles and glory.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

F

geoffw said:

Exactly a bunch of fossils.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,648
    Before OGH or one of his minions pulls the plug on this Coronation thread, want to echo the kudos for VIEWCODE and his timely, thoughtful, lyrical contribution.

Speaking of "Anglo-Saxons" as King Edward the Confessor would say - þancas!

(Though wasn't his mum a Jute?)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    Britain’s FBI was drafted in by Scottish police to help with their investigation into the SNP’s finances, it can be revealed.

Officers from the National Crime Agency, which leads the fight to cut serious and organised crime, were commissioned several months before Nicola Sturgeon’s husband, Peter Murrell, was arrested.

The specialist team were asked to assess the progress of the investigation, bringing a fresh pair of eyes to the evidence collected, and identify any possible lines of inquiry.

The officers, likely to have been financial crime experts, conducted a “peer review” of the operation over several weeks between October and December.

Police Scotland has been investigating reports of fraud over £600,000 of donations apparently ring-fenced for the campaign for independence since 2021. Specialist officers in Scotland have been asking senior figures in the SNP about their tax affairs, sources said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fbi-snp-finances-investigation-scottish-police-c6vcwfrb6
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,760
    Oh:

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 48% (+3)
    CON: 27% (-1)
    LDM: 7% (-3)
    REF: 6% (=)
    GRN: 6% (=)

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

https://twitter.com/oprosuk/status/1654859864881889280?s=46

Wasn’t expecting the lowest Lib Dem score for weeks to turn up now.

LLG 61% though.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 498
    TimS said:

F

geoffw said:

It was a highlight, and I was impressed by how the conductors kept everything in synch. I have had the same experience singing it as a tenor (and that intro...) but once memorably the choir I guested with was so awful that the approach of the "tenors" was to shout their way through it so for the performance I gave up and sang alto instead. And haven't sung it since! Also my daughter's favourite piece - and the other one loves I Was Glad so they were both well served today.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Coronation bounce :lol:
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/06/tory-vice-chair-lee-anderson-says-anti-monarchists-should-leave-uk

Have we done this? Mr 30p's "solution" to dissent.

I'm actually surprised he came out with it today.

• Options
    Despite many distractions, the Spectator’s Most Read list has been intriguing throughout the day

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Ed Davey has not sealed the deal.
  • Options

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Rubbery quiche? Not what one would expect from the recipe, mind. More likely the other direction.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

F

geoffw said:

Exactly a bunch of fossils.
    That's unfair to trilobites and eurypterids!
  • Options
    maxh said:

maxh said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

-

Yeah good point.

Though many ordinary citizens lose rights by dint of their employment. I definitely do as a teacher. That’s part of the role.
    But do the Police lose the right to shove people around, mask up and shout “Fuck the anarchists” ?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871

maxh said:

maxh said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

-

Yeah good point.

But do the Police lose the right to shove people around, mask up and shout “Fuck the anarchists” ?
    Can I just check if the people involved are either black or female? Asking for a constable.....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,378
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Speaker ?
    Is it as Leader of the House? I assumed it was in her capacity as Lord President of the Council.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

maxh said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

-

tbf Maxh has a point the police are meant to be just that but as we have seen of late the police seem to think they are over and above ordinary citizens and normal codes of conduct don't apply to them
    I also advocate Global Thermonuclear War.

Some of what I say may be sarcastic - with a reason…..
  • Options
    About an hour ago, I had a conversation in our kitchen with my middle lad about a friend's dad who is doing a science talk in a pub next week, we didn't mention the name of the event as we didn't know it, but we decided we'd go and listen to it.
    Just opened up my Facebook feed, and the first ad I saw was one for "Pint Of Science " I opened it, and it's the exact event we're going to, and the speaker we're interested in was mentioned on the page. We've got an Amazon Echo Show in the kitchen. Should I throw it in the canal?
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    Met says it "understands public concern" over arrests and confirms "protest is lawful and can be disruptive" but claims:

“This depends on context. The coronation is a once in a generation event and that is a key consideration in our assessment.”

Legal grounds for that unclear

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1654899548349669382

Pathetically weak
  • Options

maxh said:

maxh said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

maxh said:

Pagan2 said:

-

Yeah good point.

Can I just check if the people involved are either black or female? Asking for a constable.....
    If they are, will your friend turn Savidge?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Can’t beat the Liz Truss Bounce.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Speaker ?
    Is it as Leader of the House? I assumed it was in her capacity as Lord President of the Council.
    The vast majority of Speakers are also Lord Presidents. Rees Mogg did do both .
  • Options
    boulay said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Also known as the bob of death.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296
    Leon said:

Despite many distractions, the Spectator’s Most Read list has been intriguing throughout the day

Clearly as everyone has been watching the coronation, a sad, lonely, weird writer has spent the day endlessly re-reading his own work, in order to ‘win’ a pointless list.
  • Options

About an hour ago, I had a conversation in our kitchen with my middle lad about a friend's dad who is doing a science talk in a pub next week, we didn't mention the name of the event as we didn't know it, but we decided we'd go and listen to it.
    Just opened up my Facebook feed, and the first ad I saw was one for "Pint Of Science " I opened it, and it's the exact event we're going to, and the speaker we're interested in was mentioned on the page. We've got an Amazon Echo Show in the kitchen. Should I throw it in the canal?

You still have a Facebook feed?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    malcolmg said:

He is well out of it
    Wrong. We are well rid of him.
  • Options

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Who?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

ydoethur said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Speaker ?
    No, no, no, Leaders of the House.

And actually that is a recent thing, and even more recent that it's been Leader of the House of Commons. Under Labour the title was more often Lord Privy Seal and the Leader of the Lords was Lord President.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

He is well out of it
    Wrong. We are well rid of him.
    The two are not mutually exclusive.
  • Options

I'm a lot older than you. What should I be on to be down with the kids?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    boulay said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Never truss a poll
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nico679 said:

ydoethur said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Speaker ?
    No, no, no, Leaders of the House.

And actually that is a recent thing, and even more recent that it's been Leader of the House of Commons. Under Labour the title was more often Lord Privy Seal and the Leader of the Lords was Lord President.
    Oh God I’ve got Speaker on the brain ! Yes I meant Leader !
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 937
    Dialup said:

Met says [...]
    The coronation is a once in a generation event

...pretty much by definition, yes.
  • Options
    Who were that vocal group that did some kind of Philly soul shimmy “Hallelujah” halfway through?

Seems like Charles was not lying when he claimed that “When Will I See You Again?” by the Three Degrees was one of his favourite songs.
  • Options

I'm a lot older than you. What should I be on to be down with the kids?
    I hear the very koolest kats are setting up LinkedIn profiles.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

Britain’s FBI was drafted in by Scottish police to help with their investigation into the SNP’s finances, it can be revealed.

Officers from the National Crime Agency, which leads the fight to cut serious and organised crime, were commissioned several months before Nicola Sturgeon’s husband, Peter Murrell, was arrested.

The specialist team were asked to assess the progress of the investigation, bringing a fresh pair of eyes to the evidence collected, and identify any possible lines of inquiry.

The officers, likely to have been financial crime experts, conducted a “peer review” of the operation over several weeks between October and December.

Police Scotland has been investigating reports of fraud over £600,000 of donations apparently ring-fenced for the campaign for independence since 2021. Specialist officers in Scotland have been asking senior figures in the SNP about their tax affairs, sources said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fbi-snp-finances-investigation-scottish-police-c6vcwfrb6

Do you have a second Twitter account ?

Shocked and saddened to see football fans so loudly booing God Save The King on the day of the Coronation. No one wants to see scenes like these.

To prevent this kind of thing from happening again I would propose simply abolishing the monarchy.

https://twitter.com/HITCSevens/status/1654890410274168832
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

The LDs annual pothole and NIMBY bounce has started to fade it seems as attention switched to the Coronation
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

The LDs annual pothole and NIMBY bounce has started to fade it seems as attention switched to the Coronation
    Keir Starmer might look like shoo in, but a coronation is taking it too far.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    Nigelb said:

Shocked and saddened to see football fans so loudly booing God Save The King on the day of the Coronation. No one wants to see scenes like these.

To prevent this kind of thing from happening again I would propose simply abolishing the monarchy.

Hah.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,017
    Nigelb said:

I’d hope the Met have got their finest officers up to Liverpool pronto to arrest them all?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134
    TRUSS!!!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    A Novel Bat Coronavirus with a Polybasic Furin-like Cleavage Site
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1995820X23000470
    … Here, we performed a degenerate primer screening and next-generation sequencing analysis of 112 bats, collected from Hainan Province, China. Three coronaviruses, namely bat betacoronavirus (Bat CoV) CD35, Bat CoV CD36 and bat alphacoronavirus CD30 were identified. Bat CoV CD35 genome had 99.5% identity with Bat CoV CD36, both sharing the highest nucleotide identity with Bat Hp-betacoronavirus Zhejiang2013 (71.4%), followed by SARS-CoV-2 (54.0%). Phylogenetic analysis indicated that Bat CoV CD35 formed a distinct clade, and together with Bat Hp-betacoronavirus Zhejiang2013, was basal to the lineage of SARS-CoV-1 and SARS-CoV-2. Notably, Bat CoV CD35 harbored a canonical furin-like S1/S2 cleavage site that resembles the corresponding sites of SARS-CoV-2. The furin cleavage sites between CD35 and CD36 are identical. In addition, the receptor-binding domain of Bat CoV CD35 showed a highly similar structure to that of SARS-CoV-1 and SARS-CoV-2, especially in one binding loop...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I’d hope the Met have got their finest officers up to Liverpool pronto to arrest them all?
    What difference would three extra officers make?
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,113

Nigelb said:

It is one of the big six. Most of their fans are probably foreigners.
  • Options

Leon said:

Clearly as everyone has been watching the coronation, a sad, lonely, weird writer has spent the day endlessly re-reading his own work, in order to ‘win’ a pointless list.
    Still quite impressive on the day of the coronation. To top out there. If only I could achieve such fame on the Gazette
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2023
    Time for Chaz and Camilla to put their feet up after being coronated. Perhaps tonight they'll get the karaoke machines and Schnapps out.

Princess Anne will perform her party piece, using Princess Margaret's Mellotron.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Met says it "understands public concern" over arrests and confirms "protest is lawful and can be disruptive" but claims:

“This depends on context. The coronation is a once in a generation event and that is a key consideration in our assessment.”

Pathetically weak

"Let's be honest," said a Met spokesperson. "Weekend overtime is awesome. We all have mortgages to pay off, school fees, etc. etc. And if it means another PR blunder, well, who;s going to notice?"
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    Today's Andy Capp comic strip celebrates the coronation: https://www.gocomics.com/andycapp/2023/05/06

(It's not up to Viewcode's level.)
  • Options

Dialup said:

Pathetically weak

"Let's be honest," said a Met spokesperson. "Weekend overtime is awesome. We all have mortgages to pay off, school fees, etc. etc. And if it means another PR blunder, well, who;s going to notice?"
    They went to school?

Bugger, then it must all be the fault of the teaching profession.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

… Here, we performed a degenerate primer screening and next-generation sequencing analysis of 112 bats, collected from Hainan Province, China. Three coronaviruses, namely bat betacoronavirus (Bat CoV) CD35, Bat CoV CD36 and bat alphacoronavirus CD30 were identified. Bat CoV CD35 genome had 99.5% identity with Bat CoV CD36, both sharing the highest nucleotide identity with Bat Hp-betacoronavirus Zhejiang2013 (71.4%), followed by SARS-CoV-2 (54.0%). Phylogenetic analysis indicated that Bat CoV CD35 formed a distinct clade, and together with Bat Hp-betacoronavirus Zhejiang2013, was basal to the lineage of SARS-CoV-1 and SARS-CoV-2. Notably, Bat CoV CD35 harbored a canonical furin-like S1/S2 cleavage site that resembles the corresponding sites of SARS-CoV-2. The furin cleavage sites between CD35 and CD36 are identical. In addition, the receptor-binding domain of Bat CoV CD35 showed a highly similar structure to that of SARS-CoV-1 and SARS-CoV-2, especially in one binding loop...

But lab leak? Bio weapon. Furin cleavage site MUST be artificial…
  • Options

Dialup said:

Pathetically weak

Like all the police who bought cars during and after the miners strike and nicknamed them ‘Aurthur’…
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993

Time for Chaz and Camilla to put their feet up after being coronated. Perhaps tonight they'll get the karaoke machines and Schnapps out.

Princess Anne will perform her party piece, using Princess Margaret's Mellotron.

She does a mean “Alejandro” by lady GaGa on the karaoke. Gets the guardsmen to do the backing dancing. Top girl.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Data from 4 and 5 May. Lib Dems all on well earned long weekend breaks to Pembrokeshire or Ghent.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I think the LD's will recover a bit at the elections next year, The tactical voting that will break out can only help them.
  • Options
    I’m convinced the voter ID requirement had an effect on voting patterns this week. I really hope someone will do an in depth survey of those either turned away, or who didn’t bother to go to vote, because they didn’t have ID.

The demographic most likely to have ID are wealthy professional people in their 30s-60s (Tory and Lib Dem voters, and some Labour). Least likely seem to me to be the very old (Tory) and young, minority and poor voters (Labour, Green).

But we need to know this, and we need whatever the result is to be visible and acted upon, because the government has experimented with a significant change in electoral rules that could have implications for the next general election.

My party the Lib Dems almost certainly benefit from this rule change, but we’re quite rightly highly concerned about it.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,732
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/06/tory-vice-chair-lee-anderson-says-anti-monarchists-should-leave-uk

Have we done this? Mr 30p's "solution" to dissent.

I'm actually surprised he came out with it today.

Lee, meet your boss, Rishi;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/rishi-sunak-refuses-rule-out-27904012

Bullshit performative patriotism.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Who?
    It will be interesting to see if the LibDems' relatively good showing in this week's locals means the party will show a bit more ankle.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

But lab leak? Bio weapon. Furin cleavage site MUST be artificial…
    Remember how the market people desperately blamed it on “raccoon dogs”?

“Last month, The Atlantic claimed Covid came from “racoon dogs,” not a lab leak. But a new, more in-depth genetic analysis finds a “negative correlation” between Covid & raccoon dog DNA. What’s more, humans had already been infected over a month earlier.”

https://twitter.com/shellenberger/status/1651937407619543040?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Still cost you Tories 1,000 council seats.

Worth pointing out Omnisis does throw in the odd outlier so let's see what other polls have to say before reigning on Sir Ed Davey's parade.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Still quite impressive on the day of the coronation. To top out there. If only I could achieve such fame on the Gazette
    Sorry, but who is this "Sean Thomas" character?
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,019
    TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

SKSFPE
  • Options
    The lab leak argument has now reached a weird stasis. Every ten weeks the few remaining virologists who cannot countenance the “lab leak hypothesis” put up some increasingly pitiful counter evidence. Then it is embarrassingly shot down in flames

Meanwhile, the circumstantial evidence for lab leak
    remains quietly overwhelming. Expending more mental energy on this is an exercise in cognitive futility. It came from the lab
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sorry, but who is this "Sean Thomas" character?
    Sean is the brother of Mark Thomas, leftwing comedian.

Also the long-lost great-nephew of Dylan Thomas.
  • Options
    “Raccoon dogs blamed for the Covid pandemic were not responsible, new analysis suggests, after samples at a Wuhan market were found to contain virtually no virus.

Last month a controversial study suggested that raccoon dog DNA found at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in January 2020 was mixed with Covid-19, providing “strong evidence” that coronavirus jumped to humans from the animals.”

I mean. Just stop now. It’s mortifying
  • Options
    edited May 2023

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Who?
    It will be interesting to see if the LibDems' relatively good showing in this week's locals means the party will show a bit more ankle.
    Lib Dems have had quite a differentiated local vs national policy approach in the last year or so. Nationally all cost of living, windfall taxes, NHS etc, locally a huge focus on pollution and river and seawater, NIMBYism albeit sprinkled with some sensible stuff on infrastructure, and issues like policing and domestic violence.

I would love us to drop the nimbyism. It’s a constant frustration. But it’s difficult. Nationally I expect the next 12 months will see a major increase in focus on Brexit and closer ties with the EU. I expect something akin to EFTA/ single market to be in the manifesto. But not rejoin. Not after the catastrophe of Swinson’s 2019 campaign.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,979
    edited May 2023
    TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

And yet Professor Thrasher has calculated that Labour were 7% ahead at the local elections, by 36% to 29%. Real votes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The lab leak argument has now reached a weird stasis. Every ten weeks the few remaining virologists who cannot countenance the “lab leak hypothesis” put up some increasingly pitiful counter evidence. Then it is embarrassingly shot down in flames

remains quietly overwhelming. Expending more mental energy on this is an exercise in cognitive futility. It came from the lab

Which virologists do you canvass for opinions? Twitter doesn’t equal the real world. Scanning the literature does not equal scanning twitter.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    FYI, and also BTW, yours truly has been wearing the Union Jack in celebration (or at least recognition) of the Coronation.

In the form of the Hawai'ian flag on an Aloha shirt.

Flag of the Kingdom of Hawai'i was decreed by King Kamehameha I who unified the islands. Incorporates elements of flags of UK, US, Russia and France - by coincidence the key foreign powers engaged in early commerce and proto-imperialism viz-a-viz Hawai'i.

> Union Jack in canton (from UK
    > Eight stripes one for each of the larger islands (Hawaiʻi, Maui, Kahoʻolawe, Lānaʻi, Molokaʻi, Oʻahu, Kauaʻi & Niʻihau).
    > Stripes red, white and blue (common to all 4 foreign powers, and in sequences of Russia and France)

This flag was retained after the overthrown of kingdom by pineapple (really sugarcane) putch "Republic" and after American annexation by Territory of Hawaii, and by State of Hawai'i.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Hawaii

Note that there were number of personal contacts and connections between Hawai'ian and British royalty. One interesting example: the great swimmer and surfer Duke Kahanamoku, himself of royal lineage, inherited his name from his father, who in turn was named in honor of Queen Victoria's son, the Duke of Edinburgh, because he was born the day that Duke arrived in Honolulu on a round-the-word tour.

So across Hawai'i today, the Union Jack is flying. Often alongside the America flag. However, not always.

And certainly not - by long tradition - over Iolani Palace (as seen often on old "Hawaii Five-0" tv series). Where it is the ONLY flag that files, just as in the days when Queen Liliʻuokalani still reigned.

She was quite pro-British, and a pillar of the Anglican Church. Also a talented musician, with many songs to her credit. Including one she wrote in honor of Queen Victoria's Jubilee, which is one of the reasons why the memory of Queen Liliʻuokalani is so revered and cherished by the Hawai'ians.

Queen's Jubiliee with Hula
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbqkjkkcE7M

Aloha!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,880
    PJH said:

TimS said:

F

geoffw said:

It was a highlight, and I was impressed by how the conductors kept everything in synch.
    Andrew Nethsingha - organist/choir director at Westminster Abbey.

And to get things back on a political keel, married to Lucy Nethsingha, LibDem leader of Cambridgeshire County Council.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Leon said:

“Raccoon dogs blamed for the Covid pandemic were not responsible, new analysis suggests, after samples at a Wuhan market were found to contain virtually no virus.

Last month a controversial study suggested that raccoon dog DNA found at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in January 2020 was mixed with Covid-19, providing “strong evidence” that coronavirus jumped to humans from the animals.”

Well, at least you seem to have forgotten your "the US blew up Nordstream" line. ;)
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,113
    Leon said:

I think it probably was a lab blunder that allowed it to escape. But the evidence is still circumstantial so scientific study should continue. People continuing to check minority hypotheses is how science works.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

And yet Professor Thrasher has calculated that Labour were 7% ahead at the local elections, by 36% to 29%. Real votes.
    LLG very similar though, and conservatives in most NEV calculations similar or lower than in this poll. Does anyone think the Lib Dems are going to score 20% in the general election?
  • Options

Leon said:

Which virologists do you canvass for opinions? Twitter doesn’t equal the real world. Scanning the literature does not equal scanning twitter.

We’re basically down to the authors of Proximal Origins, and half of them aren’t sure any more
  • Options

PJH said:

TimS said:

F

geoffw said:

It was a highlight, and I was impressed by how the conductors kept everything in synch.
    Andrew Nethsingha - organist/choir director at Westminster Abbey.

And to get things back on a political keel, married to Lucy Nethsingha, LibDem leader of Cambridgeshire County Council.
    Father was Lucien Nethsingha, organist of Exeter cathedral where my best friend was head chorister. Sri Lankan heritage.
  • Options

Leon said:

Well, at least you seem to have forgotten your "the US blew up Nordstream" line. ;)
    Watch this and tell me, honestly, that it wasn’t the USA which blew the pipe, likely via a proxy

https://twitter.com/trevorjukes1/status/1650470571522531330?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options

Leon said:

You silly sod.
  • Options
    Right it’s 2am in BKK. My lurgy passes. What an enjoyable day of nonsense and profundity

Vivat Rex Carolus!
  • Options
    Have we heard yet from MoonRabit?

Interested in her take from the streets - and also want to make sure that horse didn't stomp on her.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,054
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Watch this and tell me, honestly, that it wasn’t the USA which blew the pipe, likely via a proxy

https://twitter.com/trevorjukes1/status/1650470571522531330?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    Disappointing. I was expecting to see ACTUAL EVIDENCE of a US backed attack. Instead all we have is snippets of people saying they really don't like NS2. Just days after the discovery of the Russian ship. I know you like thrillers/conspiracies/hyperbole but you should remember that this is real stuff with real world consequences. Better go back to being pb's Judith Chalmers?
This discussion has been closed.