Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ceremonies – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    TimS said:

Oh:

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 48% (+3)
    CON: 27% (-1)
    LDM: 7% (-3)
    REF: 6% (=)
    GRN: 6% (=)

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

https://twitter.com/oprosuk/status/1654859864881889280?s=46

Wasn’t expecting the lowest Lib Dem score for weeks to turn up now.

LLG 61% though.

Interestingly, Omnisis published a locals-specific poll last week that got the final projected vote share almost spot on.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Leon said:

Leon said:

“Raccoon dogs blamed for the Covid pandemic were not responsible, new analysis suggests, after samples at a Wuhan market were found to contain virtually no virus.

Last month a controversial study suggested that raccoon dog DNA found at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in January 2020 was mixed with Covid-19, providing “strong evidence” that coronavirus jumped to humans from the animals.”

I mean. Just stop now. It’s mortifying

Well, at least you seem to have forgotten your "the US blew up Nordstream" line. ;)
    Watch this and tell me, honestly, that it wasn’t the USA which blew the pipe, likely via a proxy

https://twitter.com/trevorjukes1/status/1650470571522531330?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    It was the USA which blew the pipe, by themselves or a proxy.

There. Honestly.

Or at least, there's no way to be anywhere near *certain* it was the US. Lots of different countries or groups may have had reason to do it; and given recent news, I'd still argue that the most likely culprits were Russia.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

Leon said:

Leon said:

Despite many distractions, the Spectator’s Most Read list has been intriguing throughout the day

Clearly as everyone has been watching the coronation, a sad, lonely, weird writer has spent the day endlessly re-reading his own work, in order to ‘win’ a pointless list.
    Still quite impressive on the day of the coronation. To top out there. If only I could achieve such fame on the Gazette
    Sorry, but who is this "Sean Thomas" character?
    Sean is the brother of Mark Thomas, leftwing comedian.

Also the long-lost great-nephew of Dylan Thomas.
    You know now you mention it, there is a passing resemblence between the legendary Sean Thomas and his comedic namesake Mark.

Could they be related? I think we should be told.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Ed Davey has not sealed the deal.
    Who?
    It will be interesting to see if the LibDems' relatively good showing in this week's locals means the party will show a bit more ankle.
    Lib Dems have had quite a differentiated local vs national policy approach in the last year or so. Nationally all cost of living, windfall taxes, NHS etc, locally a huge focus on pollution and river and seawater, NIMBYism albeit sprinkled with some sensible stuff on infrastructure, and issues like policing and domestic violence.

I would love us to drop the nimbyism. It’s a constant frustration. But it’s difficult. Nationally I expect the next 12 months will see a major increase in focus on Brexit and closer ties with the EU. I expect something akin to EFTA/ single market to be in the manifesto. But not rejoin. Not after the catastrophe of Swinson’s 2019 campaign.
    The Lib Dems are hardly going to abandon Nimbyism. It's a key plank of their pitch to disgruntled, ageing Home Counties Tory voters (and the bulk of their Parliamentary seats are going to end up being in those kinds of places.) It's like this: read our lips, no Barratt Boxes for smelly peasants within twenty miles of your precious house.

After becoming infamous for fucking the student vote over a dozen years back, they're not going to make the same mistake with a much larger and more powerful demographic group.

I have little confidence that Labour are going to initiate the necessary massive programme of housebuilding, but the only remote hope of such a thing happening is if they win an outright majority. Any other electoral outcome and the probability is zero.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,431
    Dialup said:

Met says [...]
    The coronation is a once in a generation event

Not necessarily, there were coronations in 1901, 1910, 1937, and 1953.

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

And yet Professor Thrasher has calculated that Labour were 7% ahead at the local elections, by 36% to 29%. Real votes.
    Polling is bonkers atm. Its going to ve worse than previous disasters unless they adjust their methodologies.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,378

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

1902-1911 (not 1901 and 1910) would count as a Scottish generation, no?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

And yet Professor Thrasher has calculated that Labour were 7% ahead at the local elections, by 36% to 29%. Real votes.
    Local elections are different from General elections, not least in turnout and different parties standing.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

For most people born post.. just after QE the second... it might well be.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    edited May 2023
    pigeon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Who?
    It will be interesting to see if the LibDems' relatively good showing in this week's locals means the party will show a bit more ankle.
    Lib Dems have had quite a differentiated local vs national policy approach in the last year or so. Nationally all cost of living, windfall taxes, NHS etc, locally a huge focus on pollution and river and seawater, NIMBYism albeit sprinkled with some sensible stuff on infrastructure, and issues like policing and domestic violence.

I would love us to drop the nimbyism. It’s a constant frustration. But it’s difficult. Nationally I expect the next 12 months will see a major increase in focus on Brexit and closer ties with the EU. I expect something akin to EFTA/ single market to be in the manifesto. But not rejoin. Not after the catastrophe of Swinson’s 2019 campaign.
    The Lib Dems are hardly going to abandon Nimbyism. It's a key plank of their pitch to disgruntled, ageing Home Counties Tory voters (and the bulk of their Parliamentary seats are going to end up being in those kinds of places.) It's like this: read our lips, no Barratt Boxes for smelly peasants within twenty miles of your precious house.

After becoming infamous for fucking the student vote over a dozen years back, they're not going to make the same mistake with a much larger and more powerful demographic group.

I have little confidence that Labour are going to initiate the necessary massive programme of housebuilding, but the only remote hope of such a thing happening is if they win an outright majority. Any other electoral outcome and the probability is zero.
    In Epping both district council wards elected LDs last week on a NIMBY platform, yet nationally Epping Forest was 64% Tory in 2019. Lots of pensioners who vote Conservative at general elections vote LD locally purely to stop new houses and flats being built in their area
  • Options
    Back to politics.

I saw earlier that the Reform Party got a grand total of 6 seats at the locals. Across the whole country

To put this into some sort of perspective.

The Lincolnshire Independents got 10 seats in North Kesteven alone. Every one of their sitting councillors who were standing again were reelected and 3 new ones were also elected. There were also an additional 4 Independents elected not aligned with the Lincolnshire Independents. That is in one district.

That said. It is worth remembering that UKIP went for years in the early part of the 21st century gaining only a very few seats and that everyone took this as an indication they were of no consequence. And we all know how that ended in 2016.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

You're confusing once in a generation with once in a lifetime. Interesting question, though, how likely is it that someone that saw QE2's coronation will see a third coronation?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    tlg86 said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

You're confusing once in a generation with once in a lifetime. Interesting question, though, how likely is it that someone that saw QE2's coronation will see a third coronation?
    I just had that conversation with my parents, who are the same age as the King. Perhaps they will see another Coronation, perhaps they won’t.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Leon said:

Leon said:

“Raccoon dogs blamed for the Covid pandemic were not responsible, new analysis suggests, after samples at a Wuhan market were found to contain virtually no virus.

Last month a controversial study suggested that raccoon dog DNA found at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in January 2020 was mixed with Covid-19, providing “strong evidence” that coronavirus jumped to humans from the animals.”

Well, at least you seem to have forgotten your "the US blew up Nordstream" line. ;)
    Watch this and tell me, honestly, that it wasn’t the USA which blew the pipe, likely via a proxy

https://twitter.com/trevorjukes1/status/1650470571522531330?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

There. Honestly.

Or at least, there's no way to be anywhere near *certain* it was the US. Lots of different countries or groups may have had reason to do it; and given recent news, I'd still argue that the most likely culprits were Russia.
    I don't know why we're arguing about this, as the Germans have already said that the Ukrainians did it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,425

Back to politics.

I saw earlier that the Reform Party got a grand total of 6 seats at the locals. Across the whole country

The Lincolnshire Independents got 10 seats in North Kesteven alone. Every one of their sitting councillors who were standing again were reelected and 3 new ones were also elected. There were also an additional 4 Independents elected not aligned with the Lincolnshire Independents. That is in one district.

That said. It is worth remembering that UKIP went for years in the early part of the 21st century gaining only a very few seats and that everyone took this as an indication they were of no consequence. And we all know how that ended in 2016.

UKIP just lost their last handful of seats.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,232
    tlg86 said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Hardly impossible. KC3 saw his mother’s coronation. Anyone his own age who outlives him will see a third.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    tlg86 said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Assuming Charles lasts 10 years, a 75 year old Brit currently has a greater than 50% chance of seeing another coronation.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134
    It was all a bit of a damp squib today, wasn’t it? Not to worry, there will be other days
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

A Novel Bat Coronavirus with a Polybasic Furin-like Cleavage Site
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1995820X23000470
    … Here, we performed a degenerate primer screening and next-generation sequencing analysis of 112 bats, collected from Hainan Province, China. Three coronaviruses, namely bat betacoronavirus (Bat CoV) CD35, Bat CoV CD36 and bat alphacoronavirus CD30 were identified. Bat CoV CD35 genome had 99.5% identity with Bat CoV CD36, both sharing the highest nucleotide identity with Bat Hp-betacoronavirus Zhejiang2013 (71.4%), followed by SARS-CoV-2 (54.0%). Phylogenetic analysis indicated that Bat CoV CD35 formed a distinct clade, and together with Bat Hp-betacoronavirus Zhejiang2013, was basal to the lineage of SARS-CoV-1 and SARS-CoV-2. Notably, Bat CoV CD35 harbored a canonical furin-like S1/S2 cleavage site that resembles the corresponding sites of SARS-CoV-2. The furin cleavage sites between CD35 and CD36 are identical. In addition, the receptor-binding domain of Bat CoV CD35 showed a highly similar structure to that of SARS-CoV-1 and SARS-CoV-2, especially in one binding loop...

But lab leak? Bio weapon. Furin cleavage site MUST be artificial…
    Remember how the market people desperately blamed it on “raccoon dogs”?

“Last month, The Atlantic claimed Covid came from “racoon dogs,” not a lab leak. But a new, more in-depth genetic analysis finds a “negative correlation” between Covid & raccoon dog DNA. What’s more, humans had already been infected over a month earlier.”

https://twitter.com/shellenberger/status/1651937407619543040?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

There continues to be exactly no new evidence of any note.

Lab leak remains (by far) the most likely scenario.

But until a scientist from the lab admits it (or a wild host is found who might likely have found its way to Wuhan), then we are likely stuck.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296

It was all a bit of a damp squib today, wasn’t it? Not to worry, there will be other days

You seem desperate to run down something that millions enjoyed. What gives?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,959
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There. Honestly.

I don't know why we're arguing about this, as the Germans have already said that the Ukrainians did it.
    Personally, I blame the French.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There. Honestly.

Then again it was quite convenient for some in Germany to put Nordstream beyond use…

I still say that insisting it was a national level attack is not necessarily correct.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,232

Leon said:

Leon said:

Despite many distractions, the Spectator’s Most Read list has been intriguing throughout the day

Clearly as everyone has been watching the coronation, a sad, lonely, weird writer has spent the day endlessly re-reading his own work, in order to ‘win’ a pointless list.
    Still quite impressive on the day of the coronation. To top out there. If only I could achieve such fame on the Gazette

You know now you mention it, there is a passing resemblence between the legendary Sean Thomas and his comedic namesake Mark.

With social and political attitudes like US Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. 🤔
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135
    Foss said:

tlg86 said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Assuming Charles lasts 10 years, a 75 year old Brit currently has a greater than 50% chance of seeing another coronation.
    That's a very diplomatic way of saying "assuming Charles doesn't last beyond 10 years".
  • Options

I didn’t see much of it, so I’m not well placed to judge. I hope people enjoyed it.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    edited May 2023
    I see that one of the last results yesterday was the Bedford Mayor.

The conservatives won it off the Lib Dems by 145 votes under first past the post.

The previous voting system of supplementary vote almost certainly would have resulted in a LD win.

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    Completely off topic, I believe the finest line in any song is in Paul Simon’s “Graceland” - “losing love is like a window in your heart, everyone sees you’re blown apart.”

There is an absolute truth delivered perfectly and not even in a maudlin romantic song.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Who?

In Epping both district council wards elected LDs last week on a NIMBY platform, yet nationally Epping Forest was 64% Tory in 2019. Lots of pensioners who vote Conservative at general elections vote LD locally purely to stop new houses and flats being built in their area
    I can well believe both of those statements, and my conviction that the Conservative Party will do a lot less badly than present polling suggests come the next GE is grounded principally in the assumption that the grey vote will swing back in large numbers.

This probably won't be enough, however, to save some Tory MPs in well-off areas with large and well-established Lib Dem votes. Raab is toast and I think the Yellows can entertain realistic ambitions of toppling Hunt.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015

I didn’t see much of it, so I’m not well placed to judge. I hope people enjoyed it.
    It was a bit naff, but that's part of what I want from these things. Overly long and repetitive like most church ceremonies, but enjoyable enough with people to snark at bits with, and if people simply enjoyed it all without any qualifications all the better for them. I like the camera work in the abbey.
  • Options

Brentford really should have done better at Anfield
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

With social and political attitudes like US Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. 🤔
    Sean T has more honest ethics.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It was a bit naff, but that's part of what I want from these things. Overly long and repetitive like most church ceremonies, but enjoyable enough with people to snark at bits with, and if people simply enjoyed it all without any qualifications all the better for them. I like the camera work in the abbey.
    The bits I saw were incredibly dull to be fair. I might have missed the good stuff however.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    IanB2 said:

Back to politics.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

I don't particularly care about the Monarchy. I was at the Graffiti Street art exhibition at the Saatchi when the Coronation happened. It's a great exhibition but only on until Monday.

However, how much of a sad fuck do you have to be to go down to Trafalgar Sq and hold signs up when you have an event taking place that gives pleasure to millions, if not myself.

What a sad bunch of pathetic, saddo losers. Fuck the show off Republicans, they are just a miserable bunch of pathetic wankers.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The bits I saw were incredibly dull to be fair. I might have missed the good stuff however.
    I particularly enjoyed when the King got up and started grooving with the gospel singers.

Though it's possible I hallucinated that.
  • Options
    boulay said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Coronation bounce :lol:
    Can’t beat the Liz Truss Bounce.

That looks like one of those weird outliers in the Bayeux Tapestry where you think 'wtf are they upto? And why have they shot themselves in the foot?"
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,323

Back to politics.

Although UKIP embraced a huge swathe of hard-right politics, I doubt they would ever have taken off without the totemic issue of EU withdrawal. Difficult to see another issue that would serve a future hard-right group in the same way.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    boulay said:

Completely off topic, I believe the finest line in any song is in Paul Simon’s “Graceland” - “losing love is like a window in your heart, everyone sees you’re blown apart.”

There is an absolute truth delivered perfectly and not even in a maudlin romantic song.

I've always had a soft spot for Bjorks line "I thought I could organise freedom, how very Scandinavian of me".
  • Options

Back to politics.

Although UKIP embraced a huge swathe of hard-right politics, I doubt they would ever have taken off without the totemic issue of EU withdrawal. Difficult to see another issue that would serve a future hard-right group in the same way.
    Reform are giving it a go, but there just isn't sine big issue to serve as a hook, so they will remain at best a spoiler for the Conservatives (unlike Brexit they don't appear to have a major issue to appeal to some ex Labour). They seem much more explicitly designed to appeal to upset Tory ideologues, and most people don't care about ideology.
  • Options

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

And also 1821, 1831 and 1838.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,647
    ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There. Honestly.

re: who blew the pipeline, my working theory is . . . Penny Mordant MP RNR in a wetsuit.

NOT because it's plausible, but rather because concept will give much pleasure to many PBers. . . .

On more serious note, yet again in key royal ceremony for King Charles III (first was Investiture privy council) it is Penny Mordaunt who has stolen a part of the show. Thanks to her incredible presence as a royal sword bearer - literally in Coronation.

Something we were talking about this AM at my morning coffee circle. Rest didn't know her by name, but when I said, the woman with the sword, it was her presence on screen they mentioned.

Not sure we're talking Ingrid Bergman levels in the Royal Penny's case. But WAY above average for a politico.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I particularly enjoyed when the King got up and started grooving with the gospel singers.

I was temporarily crestfallen that I’d missed that! Until I realised you were taking the piss? (I hope? I would have loved to see that… would have been a great idea…)
  • Options

I don't particularly care about the Monarchy. I was at the Graffiti Street art exhibition at the Saatchi when the Coronation happened. It's a great exhibition but only on until Monday.

However, how much of a sad fuck do you have to be to go down to Trafalgar Sq and hold signs up when you have an event taking place that gives pleasure to millions, if not myself.

What a sad bunch of pathetic, saddo losers. Fuck the show off Republicans, they are just a miserable bunch of pathetic wankers.
    Most of the countries with flags on display on The Mall are republics...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135
    boulay said:

It fits with another image from the same album:

Somebody could walk into this room
    And say your life is on fire
    It's all over the evening news
    All about the fire in your life
    On the evening news
  • Options

Why are you so aggressive? Try to enjoy life more. It’s okay.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There. Honestly.

re: who blew the pipeline, my working theory is . . . Penny Mordant MP RNR in a wetsuit.

NOT because it's plausible, but rather because concept will give much pleasure to many PBers. . . .

On more serious note, yet again in key royal ceremony for King Charles III (first was Investiture privy council) it is Penny Mordaunt who has stolen a part of the show. Thanks to her incredible presence as a royal sword bearer - literally in Coronation.

Something we were talking about this AM at my morning coffee circle. Rest didn't know her by name, but when I said, the woman with the sword, it was her presence on screen they mentioned.

Not sure we're talking Ingrid Bergman levels in the Royal Penny's case. But WAY above average for a politico.
    She's missed her shot. Being saddled with the dogs body role of Leader of the House is not a path to future greatness, though it has given her a presence at some major moments for her to include in her memoirs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Leon said:

The lab leak argument has now reached a weird stasis. Every ten weeks the few remaining virologists who cannot countenance the “lab leak hypothesis” put up some increasingly pitiful counter evidence. Then it is embarrassingly shot down in flames

Meanwhile, the circumstantial evidence for lab leak
    remains quietly overwhelming. Expending more mental energy on this is an exercise in cognitive futility. It came from the lab

Thank you, Dr Leon.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I was temporarily crestfallen that I’d missed that! Until I realised you were taking the piss? (I hope? I would have loved to see that… would have been a great idea…)
    I regret to say that His Majesty was intent on maintaining a sense of solemnity and dutiful reserve, and so didn't break kayfabe to have a little unconventional fun on this occasion.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

I've always had a soft spot for Bjorks line "I thought I could organise freedom, how very Scandinavian of me".
    It just doesn’t have the same deep sadness, Paul Simon’s rib cage has been replaced with plexiglass so they can see he’s sad but Bjork is just a bit violently unhappy and will write some protest to her VŒrfoÊling (I made that up).
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

That looks like one of those weird outliers in the Bayeux Tapestry where you think 'wtf are they upto? And why have they shot themselves in the foot?"
    Looks to me like a predator adopting a watchful gaze as it pretends to submit to a rival, ready to pounce if the latter puts their guard down.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There. Honestly.

She's missed her shot. Being saddled with the dogs body role of Leader of the House is not a path to future greatness, though it has given her a presence at some major moments for her to include in her memoirs.
    Bit early to close the books on her, methinks. PM may not be PM material, but she's plenty young enough to achieve something, if she's got something in her to achieve.

AND a party with such a PR asset should NOT waste it, should harness it.

Having her up front at the Investiture and Coronation being consistent with that playbook.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I regret to say that His Majesty was intent on maintaining a sense of solemnity and dutiful reserve, and so didn't break kayfabe to have a little unconventional fun on this occasion.
    A shame. A missed opportunity 😔
  • Options
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Who?

I can well believe both of those statements, and my conviction that the Conservative Party will do a lot less badly than present polling suggests come the next GE is grounded principally in the assumption that the grey vote will swing back in large numbers.

This probably won't be enough, however, to save some Tory MPs in well-off areas with large and well-established Lib Dem votes. Raab is toast and I think the Yellows can entertain realistic ambitions of toppling Hunt.
    They need to be very, very careful not to over-target and end up with sod all. Quite a big risk in the Home Counties this time.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Looks to me like a predator adopting a watchful gaze as it pretends to submit to a rival, ready to pounce if the latter puts their guard down.
    ... Then shoots themselves in the foot.
  • Options
    The only woman who can beat Penny in a headdress competition.

The glorious Ofra Haza.

https://youtu.be/ZRnzTTYk7_Q
  • Options
    It is a shame how underwhelming today has been for many millions. But, there will be other days, a brighter future. Take heart.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,055
    kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Few thoughts.
    Was Ms Truss wearing THAT necklace?
    As one who saw the 1953 procession, I hope for my family’s sake that I’ll be around for William Vth’s. But I doubt I will be, and, although I’ve no time for monarchs, I wish Charles a long and happy life.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2023
    I would say personally it was neither disappointing nor joyous, but more of a landmark calendar event. Plus the wonderful Penny carrying that huge protruberance.

I suspect tomorrow will be a bit more partyish, for some people.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Back to politics.

I think it represents the first time in 25 years there have been no elected Kippers serving at any level.

They've obviously been dying for a while, but a landmark nonetheless.
  • Options
    boulay said:

ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

It just doesn’t have the same deep sadness, Paul Simon’s rib cage has been replaced with plexiglass so they can see he’s sad but Bjork is just a bit violently unhappy and will write some protest to her VŒrfoÊling (I made that up).
    If you want a bit of sadness, I was really moved by one of Tricky's recent tracks written after his daughter hung herself.

"Hate This Pain" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jQc07iDn0

• Options
    edited May 2023

It is a shame how underwhelming today has been for many millions. But, there will be other days, a brighter future. Take heart.

Why are you so aggressive? Try to enjoy life more. It’s okay. :tongue:
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Back to politics.

I think it represents the first time in 25 years there have been no elected Kippers serving at any level.

No elected Kippers, no elected Head of State! What is this country coming to??
  • Options
    Apparently the Ukrainians are firing salutes at the Russians from the AS-90s we sent them.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

If you want a bit of sadness, I was really moved by one of Tricky's recent tracks written after his daughter hung herself.

"Hate This Pain" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jQc07iDn0

Don’t want sadness and love tricky but in his earlier Maxinquaye days. I’ve just found a song where the sisters of mercy do “temple of love” with Ofra Haza. Who knew?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Does that go for the DfE as well?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Does that go for the DfE as well?
    They should be allowed to enjoy life just as much as the workers in England's schools are.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321
    Successfully avoided the idiot crown by being on Skye most of the day. Does highlight why I say @JustGetATesla if getting an EV: public charging on the island is disgraceful.

Chargers in Uig and Portree not working. Broadford needed 3 remote start attempts before it would work - and I have a Chargeplace Scotland RFID card. Then it vended 41kW which meant even charging for an hour only boosted me from 16% to 66%

Not time wasted though. Fish and chips and a walk...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Back to politics.

Aren't Reform re-heated left-over UKippers?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,790
    boulay said:

Not only one of the greatest songwriters of the past century, Paul Simon is also an outstanding poet.

That 'window on your heart' line is so insightful.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670

Back to politics.

I think the Lincolnshire Independents might have a much lower upper limit though unless they are really ambitious and wanting to have a go for seats in say Surrey.
  • Options

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There. Honestly.

Bit early to close the books on her, methinks. PM may not be PM material, but she's plenty young enough to achieve something, if she's got something in her to achieve.

AND a party with such a PR asset should NOT waste it, should harness it.

Having her up front at the Investiture and Coronation being consistent with that playbook.
    She's a poised performer in some ways but her political judgment is dodgy. She was comprehensively outmanoeuvred by Truss in the first leadership election last year, and embarrassed herself in the second.

Maybe PMs are wrong not to trust her with the big departmental cabinet briefs (Defence was only ever an interim position when May had already announced departure). But
    they don't, and that gives pause for thought.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,765

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

1821 was the best, what with the Queen Consort banging on the Abbey Door demanding (unsuccessfully) to be let in. Subsequent iterations have been comparatively boring.
  • Options

Successfully avoided the idiot crown by being on Skye most of the day. Does highlight why I say @JustGetATesla if getting an EV: public charging on the island is disgraceful.

Chargers in Uig and Portree not working. Broadford needed 3 remote start attempts before it would work - and I have a Chargeplace Scotland RFID card. Then it vended 41kW which meant even charging for an hour only boosted me from 16% to 66%

Time to sing "The Skye Volt Song"?

Don't know the words to THAT, so THIS will have to do (apologies to sensitive Hanoverians)

The Skye Boat Song - Ella Roberts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBSqQPP4aVM
  • Options

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

1821 was the best, what with the Queen Consort banging on the Abbey Door demanding (unsuccessfully) to be let in. Subsequent iterations have been comparatively boring.
    Only the second time she ever banged George, as well.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Back to politics.

Aren't Reform re-heated left-over UKippers?
    We'll, clearly, and their death is due to being eclipsed rather than that viewpoint disappearing.

But they had a pretty significant political role, and it's a moment to see them slip into history. Suspect they may wind up in the coming year.
  • Options
    Tomorrow is another day.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

NON MI RICORDO - Crookshank 1820
    https://exhibits.library.duke.edu/exhibits/show/betweenthelines/item/5721
  • Options
    edited May 2023

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

That sounds as fishy as sturgeon.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,760
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Who?

I think we can all probably agree on a couple of facts about local government Lib Dems: 1. The noise and rhetoric is too NIMBY, and they rely on some quite nimbyish voters in Tory marginals, 2. The actual Lib Dem record in house building is pretty good, (e.g. https://www.werahobhouse.co.uk/news/2023/02/conservative_minister_praises_liberal_democrat_b_nes_council_social_housing_efforts/ https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/amp/house-building-rates-will-rise-250-in-south-cambridgeshire-9217321/).

Lib Dems in local government like to consult and bring the population along with them. If they can get more houses built while reassuring the NIMBYs that they won’t railroad decisions over them, then all the better.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

Tomorrow is another day.

May we live to see it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Yes. But does no good to carp about it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Are you trying to mussel in on my supremely elegant fish and politics pun?
  • Options

Apparently the Ukrainians are firing salutes at the Russians from the AS-90s we sent them.

Regardless of whether it's true or not, absolute class that someone thought to say so.
  • Options
    I haven't been back through all the comments, but what was the feeling about the royal comb over? Pulled it off? (as much as is possible)
  • Options

Fortunately Tesla is opening up its charging network to other EVs.
  • Options

Tomorrow is another day.

"I can't go all my life waiting to catch you between Monarchs!"
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,760
    We all want deep down to be liked, and I must say it’s been touching the number of Ukrainian accounts tweeting nice stuff about Britain and the coronation today. I know it’s self interested of them of course, but the way we have given almost unqualified support to that country in the face of pure evil, both before and after the invasion and across almost our entire political spectrum is something we can be proud of.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    TimS said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Oh:

via @Omnisis, 4-5 May

(Changes with 28 Apr)

LLG 61% though.

Who?

I think we can all probably agree on a couple of facts about local government Lib Dems: 1. The noise and rhetoric is too NIMBY, and they rely on some quite nimbyish voters in Tory marginals, 2. The actual Lib Dem record in house building is pretty good, (e.g. https://www.werahobhouse.co.uk/news/2023/02/conservative_minister_praises_liberal_democrat_b_nes_council_social_housing_efforts/ https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/amp/house-building-rates-will-rise-250-in-south-cambridgeshire-9217321/).

Lib Dems in local government like to consult and bring the population along with them. If they can get more houses built while reassuring the NIMBYs that they won’t railroad decisions over them, then all the better.
    True NIMBYs cannot be reassured. The sort of people for whom no level of consultation is enough, no mitigation is sufficient, and no need for growth or loss even of dilapidated brownfield is ever acceptable, where every time you cross off one concern another rises.

If we can figure out which concerns are legitimate and address those and ignore the remaining hard core then everyone would be much better off, but for many of decision makers at various levels that is too much work and instead all are treated as valid. Well done to those places that do put in the effort and hold firm against the unmovable.
  • Options

Why are you so aggressive? Try to enjoy life more. It’s okay.
    I did. Had a great time round at friends having drinks and watching the end of the BBC's proceedings followed by a Disney film and then the Dambusters.

And we all agreed - even the less monarchist of us - that those who make snippy comments about the Coronation, and the joy it brings millions, are just total bell-ends.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321
    rcs1000 said:

Fortunately Tesla is opening up its charging network to other EVs.
    Unfortunately. Even Tesla isn't building remotely enough chargers to keep up with the huuuge number of cars it is selling. We don't need foreign cars as well.

No Tesla chargers on Skye. Just shite.
  • Options

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Most of the time the crown will pass from parent to child and so, by definition, it will be a once in a generation event. It's only if it passes sideways, between siblings, or to an aunt/uncle, that it becomes a several in generation event.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Are you trying to mussel in on my supremely elegant fish and politics pun?
    You're the one who opened the watergate. But I took the salmon(d) ladder.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Back to politics.

Indeed but they served their purpose and achievd their aims. Probably more than can be said for any other party in British politics. And the dustbin of history is a deep and wide. I am sure they will fit in there quite nicely.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,712
    I reckon that William will be up for this antiquated nonsense when it is his turn. And even if he isn't, Kate will insist.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,790

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Met says [...]

Please don't start another round of dodgy fish puns - it's moray than I cod bear.
This discussion has been closed.