Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ceremonies – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited May 2023 in General
imageCeremonies – politicalbetting.com

Last year a woman in a castle died. Rumors and notes moved to black cloth and whispers and then the word: she had died and was succeeded by her son. She had been appointed when young by God to be Queen and she had been diligent, as the girl became a woman became frail and she and the years wore away. She had died and the duty passed to the man, and a strange period began.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    First - Like Meghan

(innocent face)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Second!
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,883
    God save the King!
  • Options

That's dreadful.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited May 2023
    viewcode said:

Oh Lord God above, you published it. I shall now be hideously embarrassed. I AM A GROWN-UP WITH A MORTGAGE, REALLY!

(sobs and runs from room)

Thanks!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2023

That's dreadful.
    Indeed. And it may only be the first, with the appallingly wide new laws about being able to stop and search "disruptive" protestors in advance.

I genuinely think that this could become a major civil liberties issue, and I doubt Charles himself will be happy with seeing this kind of thing happening.
  • Options

Comment on Twitter

Penny Mordaunt has now been holding that sword longer than Liz Truss was PM

:)

:D
  • Options

Comment on Twitter

Aaargh ! Can't escape this wonderful image ! ;,)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,831
    Quite so. Most people, but not all, enjoy ceremony and ritual.

And, that ties in to the question on the previous thread, why would people who are not religious believers have church weddings? IMHO, studying ancient history probably gives the answer. Nobody was concerned, prior to the rise of Christianity, about what people believed. But, they were very much concerned that proper riturals were observed, and that the State Gods were given their due. And, the consequences of not performing the correct ritual and giving honour to the Gods could be lethal.

Ceremony and ritual both appeal to something quite deep-rooted in human nature.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    That's a really nice piece from viewcode there.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    edited May 2023
    DavidL said:

Not really appropriate for the Met to be carrying those today, surely?
    They do seem quite keen on them.

As an aside. This sort of heavy handedness does beget violence in the long term.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Nice header it came from the heart.

The ceremony? Pretty churchy, boring as fuck and can we really say an ineffable part of the UK today? I'm thinking not.
  • Options
    FTP
    Cyclefree said:

Penny Mordaunt is really very stunning. Beautifully dressed and holds herself well. She has presence. It was noticeable at the ceremonies after HMQ died but is really on display today.

We may have seen our next LOTO (and PM but one) coronated today?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937

That's dreadful.
    Completely. How can the Met fail to act appropriately on every single occasion they are called to do so?
  • Options

That's dreadful.
    Indeed. And it may only be the first, with the appallingly wide new laws about being able to stop and search "disruptive" protestors in advance.

I genuinely think that this could become a major civil liberties issue, and I doubt Charles himself will be happy with seeing this kind of thing happening.
    I doubt Chaz knew anything about it, but it casts a shadow over the day. That image is as important as any other captured today.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    The music is the absolute star of this. Followed by the architecture and pageantry. A bit too much churchiness… and I don’t mind churchiness

But on the whole: Splendidly done. This is us. A strange and very ancient and almost unconquerable people. We will endure

And God Save King Chuck
  • Options
    Penny, and the three men behind her, still have their swords up after an hour and a half.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,597
    GIN1138 said:

FTP

Cyclefree said:

Penny Mordaunt is really very stunning. Beautifully dressed and holds herself well. She has presence. It was noticeable at the ceremonies after HMQ died but is really on display today.

Do you think Mordaunt is happy today that she gets to do this instead of having to be the leader of a party that has just received a drubbing at the local elections?

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    edited May 2023
    A pedant speaks:

"There was a laying-in-state..." presumably the royal chickens at work?

But seriously, nice header @Viewcode!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    Lordy, could you be more careful: "potentially" running an "avoidance" scheme. Is running avoidance schemes not what accountants do and isn't it perfectly legal?

Thin gruel for those of us who have so far been enjoying this luxurious feast put on by the SNP for general amusement. Must do better.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Penny, and the three men behind her, still have their swords up after an hour and a half.

Read all about Mordaunt’s planning at https://www.politico.eu/article/my-part-in-the-pomp-meet-the-uk-minister-carrying-a-huge-sword-for-king-charles/
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    I didn't at all enjoy the church services at my C of E school but they did teach us some cracking hymns.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    edited May 2023

A pedant speaks:

I'll respond to all at the end of the thread. Suffice to say it was written in unusual circs. Will detail later
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 597
    I found the service weird but moving. The music was superb.

The Hallelujah chorus sung by the Gospel choir was composed by Debbie Wiseman. She also composed the theme music for the TV series Father Brown.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Lordy, could you be more careful: "potentially" running an "avoidance" scheme. Is running avoidance schemes not what accountants do and isn't it perfectly legal?

Thin gruel for those of us who have so far been enjoying this luxurious feast put on by the SNP for general amusement. Must do better.
    Dan Neidle’s version pulls fewer punches: https://www.taxpolicy.org.uk/2023/05/06/schoolfees/
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120

That's dreadful.
    If these protesters hadn't done anything wrong, they wouldn't have had anything to worry about.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

I never knew there were so many enthusiastic republicans in the police.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

A pedant speaks:

I'll respond to all at the end of the thread. Suffice to say it was written in unusual circs. Will detail later
    I feel bad now - soz!
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    How do I send a piece in to be on PB? I have something I would like to write
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Read all about Mordaunt’s planning at https://www.politico.eu/article/my-part-in-the-pomp-meet-the-uk-minister-carrying-a-huge-sword-for-king-charles/
    Good piece, she’s done a brilliant job today, as she did with the Ascession Council back in September.
    That sword is 4’ long and weighs 8lb, her military training would have come in very useful.
  • Options
    Chris said:

That's dreadful.
    If these protesters hadn't done anything wrong, they wouldn't have had anything to worry about.
    What have they done wrong, though? Anything worse than Just Stop Oil or any other eco protestors?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Leon said:

The music is the absolute star of this. Followed by the architecture and pageantry. A bit too much churchiness… and I don’t mind churchiness

But on the whole: Splendidly done. This is us. A strange and very ancient and almost unconquerable people. We will endure

And God Save King Chuck

Why can't God save the rest of us plebs? Stupid national "anthem".
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176

DavidL said:

Not really appropriate for the Met to be carrying those today, surely?
    They do seem quite keen on them.

As an aside. This sort of heavy handedness does beget violence in the long term.
    I think it’s disgusting behaviour from the police. What is the issue? If they are worried that people will react badly to the protests, that doesn’t seem to apply when drivers get obstructed by Just Stop Oil. I am willing to bet no one gets charged either, just as the chap arrested at the proclamation of the King in Oxford wasn’t.

What a country were are descending to.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Good piece, she’s done a brilliant job today, as she did with the Ascession Council back in September.
    That sword is 4’ long and weighs 8lb, her military training would have come in very useful.
    Er... did she actually do any military training? I thought it all turned out to be a bit... over-hyped?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Dan Neidle’s version pulls fewer punches: https://www.taxpolicy.org.uk/2023/05/06/schoolfees/
    Better, the Guardian piece must have been lawyered within an inch of its life.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Oops, that looks pretty bad.
  • Options
    Dialup said:

Drop a message to @MikeSmithson
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Sean_F said:

And, that ties in to the question on the previous thread, why would people who are not religious believers have church weddings? IMHO, studying ancient history probably gives the answer. Nobody was concerned, prior to the rise of Christianity, about what people believed. But, they were very much concerned that proper riturals were observed, and that the State Gods were given their due. And, the consequences of not performing the correct ritual and giving honour to the Gods could be lethal.

I had a Church wedding though neither me, my bride nor either set of parents were religious. The vicar didn't seem to mind much at all, so a few years later he christened Fox Jr, even though we hadn't been back since the wedding, nor another Church.

I found the Vicar so open and non judgemental, and wanting to bring up Fox Jr with the right set of values, so started seeking. I soon came upon a Church to my taste, rather more puritan in ethos and without the obscure smells and spells liturgy etc. I have been a Christian ever since. There were many steps on that path from atheism, but a Church Wedding was a key one.

A good header @Viewcode.

Ceremony dragging on a bit now, get the Gospel singers back to liven up the crowd!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,616
    edited May 2023
    DavidL said:

There may be a bit more to it than the Guardian report:

Our new report - the SNP's new auditors are flogging a dodgy tax avoidance scheme, and could face a £1m penalty for unlawfully failing to disclose it to HMRC.

Guardian coverage here: https://theguardian.com/business/2023/may/06/tax-firm-run-by-snps-auditors-accused-of-potentially-running-avoidance-scheme

Our report here: https://taxpolicy.org.uk/schoolfees

Thread:

https://twitter.com/DanNeidle/status/1654761697167519744?s=20
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dialup said:

Best to start with something uncontroversial, such as Scottish sub samples, pineapples in Italian Cuisine, Radioheads status as vastly overrated and the true start of Winter/Summer/Autumn/Spring.
  • Options

Chris said:

That's dreadful.
    What have they done wrong, though? Anything worse than Just Stop Oil or any other eco protestors?
    From the Telegraph

One woman in a Republic T-shirt who was arrested also told PA: “We had a delivery of placards ready for the protest and then the tactical support unit questioned us as to how we had got through the road closures.

“They questioned whether what we were doing was a delivery.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dialup said:

Or @TSE
  • Options
    edited May 2023

GIN1138 said:

FTP

Cyclefree said:

Do you think Mordaunt is happy today that she gets to do this instead of having to be the leader of a party that has just received a drubbing at the local elections?

Oh yes, for a politician you can't beat exposure like Penny has had today. Even some of the Twitterati seem to be modestly impressed...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Better, the Guardian piece must have been lawyered within an inch of its life.
    Are libel/contempt of court issues regarding Scotland a bit of a problem post-devolution?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Er... did she actually do any military training? I thought it all turned out to be a bit... over-hyped?
    She’s an Officer in the Reserves. Not the full Sandhurst experience, but a few weekends a year for a couple of decades.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

That's dreadful.
    From the Telegraph

One woman in a Republic T-shirt who was arrested also told PA: “We had a delivery of placards ready for the protest and then the tactical support unit questioned us as to how we had got through the road closures.

Serious stuff, then. Well done to the Met!
  • Options

Leon said:

And God Save King Chuck

Why can't God save the rest of us plebs? Stupid national "anthem".
    He can!

It is a bit of a rubbish anthem, I agree.

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,923
    edited May 2023
    If Penny doesn't show up again soon I'm turning this off.

Edit: Saved!
  • Options
    Penny and her sword leading out the King :open_mouth:
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449
    All hail Queen Penny, swordmistress!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

I had a Church wedding though neither me, my bride nor either set of parents were religious. The vicar didn't seem to mind much at all, so a few years later he christened Fox Jr, even though we hadn't been back since the wedding, nor another Church.

I found the Vicar so open and non judgemental, and wanting to bring up Fox Jr with the right set of values, so started seeking. I soon came upon a Church to my taste, rather more puritan in ethos and without the obscure smells and spells liturgy etc. I have been a Christian ever since. There were many steps on that path from atheism, but a Church Wedding was a key one.

A good header @Viewcode.

Ceremony dragging on a bit now, get the Gospel singers back to liven up the crowd!
    Wow that's actually an amazing story.

But was it that you believed in god but couldn't find the right church or that you went from zero ie not believing to belief in god and found a church to boot.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    This is unbearable. I'll have to switch to the sound-only coverage before my wife gets furious ;.)
  • Options

Singing the anthem while walking with the sword. Is there nothing she can’t do?
  • Options
    The Spike Milligan tune!
  • Options
    There's been more comments on here today about Mordaunt than Chaz. I haven't seen any of it, so what's she been up to?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    Class from Penny singing God Save The King as she leads the procession.
  • Options
    Admit it......

How many mumbled send her victorious?
  • Options

RobD said:

Chris said:

That's dreadful.
    From the Telegraph

Serious stuff, then. Well done to the Met!
    Definitely a thoughtcrime.

Please can the moderator of this site assure us that anything that could be construed as criticism of the lawful authorities will be deleted - or preferably rewritten as praise?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    You can’t beat a bit of Elgar on such occasions.
  • Options
    Charles finally looking a bit more relaxed and happy. I think he was very nervous through that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dive?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8cguie
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    Proper greatest hits medley as they process out isn’t it.
  • Options

RobD said:

Dive?

Tory leadership elections, too.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    Penny’s in heaven. Waiting for me
  • Options
    edited May 2023

RobD said:

Dive?

No ! Not more ! I'm going to have to go and live in a monastery for a few months.

Then it will be done.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Charles finally looking a bit more relaxed and happy. I think he was very nervous through that.

I guess that's part of the ceremony. Make sure the new monarch gets a bit of 'shock and awe' at kick-off.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

A good header @Viewcode.

But was it that you believed in god but couldn't find the right church or that you went from zero ie not believing to belief in god and found a church to boot.
    I would have described myself as an atheist at the time, despite or perhaps because of my Presbyterian ancestry. Like many atheists I knew exactly what God I didn't believe in.

It wasn't a quick revelation, but rather a slow journey, with some stops along the way.
  • Options

There's been more comments on here today about Mordaunt than Chaz. I haven't seen any of it, so what's she been up to?

Queen Penny!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited May 2023
    I'd be interested to know how many different "versions" of Charles's coronation have been planned over the years. Maybe the first one was more traditional than this one, similar to 1953.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Penny’s in heaven. Waiting for me

You say 'heaven', Penny says....
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

DavidL said:

I guess that's part of the ceremony. Make sure the new monarch gets a bit of 'shock and awe' at kick-off.
    Except kick off was months ago.

I think this has taken twice as long as needed.
  • Options

Chris said:

That's dreadful.
    Sarcasm really is wasted on some people.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'd be interested to know how many different "versions" of Charles's coronation have been planned over the years. Maybe the first one was more traditional than this one, similar to 1953.

Given they don’t have to happen immediately, I doubt any detailed planning was done in advance.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Proper greatest hits medley as they process out isn’t it.

As @Leon said, the music has been one of the stars.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

With his crown on and grey hair poking out he looks a lot like his mum.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

That's dreadful.
    Sarcasm really is wasted on some people.
    Yeah, the internet doesn't convey it. Sorry.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,195
    DavidL said:

I thought Camilla looked a bit skittish.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Comment on Twitter

Twitter is in a Penny fenzy.

"Liz Truss made her Leader of the House to keep her out of the limelight."

Could this be the day she becomes a cert for next Tory leader? It's an image-ruled world we live in now after all.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

In 18 years of hanging around this site, this is my favourite ever header piece. Beautifully written.
    I'm not even a monarchist, really. But I'm enjoying the process of the gate, threshold, transition. And I'm happy for the monarchists to enjoy themsleves; happy to see the bunting out.
    I made an appointment for a floorer to come today. He's not even British - but he rang to double check it was ok to come during the coronation, and it was the first thing he focused on when he arrived, having been listening to it on the radio.
    Again, I'm not a monarchist. But I don't want to be so curmudgeonly that I won't let myself be part of it bringing people together. And I'm looking forward to seeing my neighbours at the street party.

Oh nice. I hope you have a lovely time. :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Win an election for leader of the Conservative party?

(although I think she will have another serious go when Rishi stands down).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

That's dreadful.
    From the Telegraph

Well, if the police can't decide what is a delivery and what isn't, who can?

That's what the Rule of Law means.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

A good header @Viewcode.

I would have described myself as an atheist at the time, despite or perhaps because of my Presbyterian ancestry. Like many atheists I knew exactly what God I didn't believe in.

It wasn't a quick revelation, but rather a slow journey, with some stops along the way.
    So now you just don’t believe in all of them but one.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm a republican and "slightly" biased, but Penny is WAY more gorgeous than any of the Windsor females, including Kate.

There, I said it...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

With his crown on and grey hair poking out he looks a lot like his mum.
    That’s just what my wife said too…

At the risk of treason (it used to be treason to imagine the death of the King), he does look old. I doubt he’ll match his Mums innings.
  • Options
    Great line by Clare Balding. Fairy tales were inspired by this.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,321
    I've been too absorbed by this to comment.

But this is amazing and deeply moving.

The presentations of the St Augustine Gospels from the 6th Century made me jaw drop. Almost 1,500 years old.

Think how many monarchs have seen that.
  • Options
    Ah, the North Korean bit!

Monarchy = Socialism! :lol:
  • Options
    I feel young George has been a little side-lined in order to stop him stealing the show.
This discussion has been closed.