Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Trump’s going to struggle if he thinks he can take on Murdoch – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2022 in General
Trump’s going to struggle if he thinks he can take on Murdoch – politicalbetting.com

How the Murdoch-owned New York Post is covering Trump's announcement of his plan to run for the White House – (see bottom of front page) pic.twitter.com/e2LGBHUWCV

Read the full story here

Comments

• GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995
    Similar to BJ, he sees himself - with good reason- as exceptional, and a precedent-smasher (if not a smashing president).

He's also a tyrannical bully who cannot face failure or rejection (at least Boris just about managed to read the room and withdrew from the last leadership election). I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ditched the GOP and ran as a third MAGA candidate.
  • Ghedebrav said:

Similar to BJ, he sees himself - with good reason- as exceptional, and a precedent-smasher (if not a smashing president).

He's also a tyrannical bully who cannot face failure or rejection (at least Boris just about managed to read the room and withdrew from the last leadership election). I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ditched the GOP and ran as a third MAGA candidate.

Which would give the race to the Dems
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Third rate politician.
  • But can Trump take on Logan Roy?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2022
    FTPT

Alistair said:

This is my favourite Trafalgar Cross Tab

Actually, no wait, this is my favourite crosstab

Numbers given to 1 decimal place for subsamples that could be as many as 10-20 respondents because New Hampshire is helluva White.

2019 figures have 1.8% of New Hampshire population as Black. What's the claimed sample size on Trafalgar polls?
    1241 people for this one

So about 22 people for the Black subsample.

Still laughing at the idea the R candidate was going to win the 18-24 year old demographic.
  • A holding thread in advance of the budget statement?

Trump will attack Murdoch as virulently as he attacks everyone else. Remember that if you a Trumper there is an elitist conspiracy against YOU, so a load of attack articles against the Donald will just be framed as part of that.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995

Ghedebrav said:

I don't think he cares. And genuinely, he likely believes he can shake things up and win regardless.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    Backing a 2023 election @ >4/1, or laying a 2024 (or later) election @ 1/4, looks like a reasonable trading bet, to me.

Very likely those odds will move in a profitable direction over the next few months.

If not, I expect to be able to trade out for a small loss.

Value bet, imo.

The Tory party ain’t a happy party and the autumn statement could well be the trigger.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    The GOP have a successful, rightwing, on message, culture warrior who is vaguely competent in the shape of Ron DeSantis. Surely even they aren't mad enough to opt for a moronic perennial loser like Trumpton?
  • FPT

Today is the day that the Tories fuck the economy in an effort to unfuck the economy that they themselves fucked.

Fuckers.

Lets do this properly and use everyone's favourite word as a sentence:
    Fuck the Fucking Fuckers.
  • As the government refuse the sensible measure of placing a tax on thingy, perhaps we need to windfall tax ze Germans

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/nov/17/lidl-profits-quadruple-as-cash-strapped-shoppers-look-for-bargains
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    Ronald SackDonald

(Or will Ronald BackDonald?)
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Alistair said:

FTPT

Alistair said:

Numbers given to 1 decimal place for subsamples that could be as many as 10-20 respondents because New Hampshire is helluva White.

2019 figures have 1.8% of New Hampshire population as Black. What's the claimed sample size on Trafalgar polls?
    1241 people for this one

Still laughing at the idea the R candidate was going to win the 18-24 year old demographic.
    It wouldn't take a particularly complicated Python script to generate plausible subsamples for made-up polls, if that's what you wanted to do.

I'm mildly insulted that he didn't bother.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    While I agree with your bet Mike, the New York Post doesn't even begin to compare in influence with the UK tabloids. Probably a sideshow in determining the nomination battle.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    This one's a question of prices to me - Desantis at 5-2 looks too short, Biden at 5-1 good & Trump at 9-2 I can't really see value either way.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,246
    edited November 2022
    FPT
    geoffw said:

What was it about Qatar that was so attractive to FIFA?

Need Mrs Merton on the case:

"FIFA world cup awarding committee, what was it that first attracted you to the billionaire Qataris?"
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Nigelb said:

While I agree with your bet Mike, the New York Post doesn't even begin to compare in influence with the UK tabloids. Probably a sideshow in determining the nomination battle.

The one aspect I'm not sure of is twitter. Trump used twitter in the past to drive the media narrative. It was just too easy for journalists to write their next story by looking at his latest tweets and the reaction to them.

Not being on twitter makes him weaker, but by how much? And will he be back on twitter soon?
  • FPT

Today is the day that the Tories fuck the economy in an effort to unfuck the economy that they themselves fucked.

Fuckers.

If PBers spent less time writing fuck and more time actually fucking, this place would be more laidback, pleasant and enjoyable. Get a life, you impotent fuckers.
    Nigelb said:

All the primary voters are reading the UK red tops? So if Trump wins, it was the Sun wot won it? :wink:
  • All this talk of next election year is ignoring the elephant in the room.
  • Pulpstar said:

This one's a question of prices to me - Desantis at 5-2 looks too short, Biden at 5-1 good & Trump at 9-2 I can't really see value either way.

Trump is a lay at 5.7 but a back for the nomination at 3.2. I think he is at most a 25% chance if the candidate now that his chances of cheating are reduced.

I would price him around 2.3 for nomination and 7.5 for the presidency. However if he does win the nomination he will trade sub 3, maybe sub 2.5, and even if he loses the election he might still trade sub 5.7 once the results are known.......
  • FPT

Fuckers.

If PBers spent less time writing fuck and more time actually fucking, this place would be more laidback, pleasant and enjoyable. Get a life, you impotent fuckers.
    Is that an offer sweetie ;)
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,701
    A fairer distribution of migrants is looming with migrants due to be sent to small towns and rural areas.

This is excellent news. It is not right to keep dumping these vulnerable people in a handful of areas.

Every part of the nation needs to do its bit.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/asylum-seekers-to-be-sent-to-rural-areas-for-fairer-distribution-of-migrants/ar-AA14cNsv?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=25d075e11a9346289a19256cd1e9f0c5

Alistair said:

FTPT

Alistair said:

1241 people for this one

It wouldn't take a particularly complicated Python script to generate plausible subsamples for made-up polls, if that's what you wanted to do.

I'm mildly insulted that he didn't bother.
    I have the controversial opinion that Trafalgar sometimes actually do polling and that this is one of their genuine polls. It's just of such shit quality that no-one would be commissioning polls from him.

Basically this is a poll commissioned by a 3rd party (The DAily Wire in this case). It is a curious feature of Trafalgar polls that most of them don't have cross tabs nor are they commissioned by anyone. They are just done by Trafalgar out of the goodness of their heart. However the occasional poll that is commissioned by a third party does come with cross-tabs. And they are almost always as shite as the ones I shared.

Oh, and I went back over the poll numbers. They do giev a breakdown of respondents by Ethnicity. Black is... 0.5%. Six people! Six.

Absolute lols. No, I'm back to you. Fully made up. Not even enough effort to lie properly.
    Pulpstar said:

I was going to ask when people thought DeSantis might be a lay.
    Keeping powder dry for now.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    edited November 2022
    The 1952 Ray Bradbury short story, A Sound of Thunder, about time travelling safari hunters changing history, could have been written about Trump. In it, travellers step off the path and the resulting death of an insect means that when they return to the present, a grotesque Trump-like figure has actually won the election he had lost when they set off back in time.

The circumstances in which Trump won - and nearly derailed democracy as a consequence - won't be repeated. Those who thought him a clown but worth the risk to shake things up in DC won't repeat. You can only get away with the Shell Game as long as people don't know how it is done. After four years of Trump, it is obvious how the trick works.

That Murdoch can take the risk of four years of Trump gnawing on his ass is a pretty good indicator that Murdoch knows the risk of Trump regaining power is nil.
  • Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Why are the Republicans favourites? Bonkers.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Consensus is no way Trump. Let's see some polls. Lots of money was made due to that assumption in the last primaries.
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

All the primary voters are reading the UK red tops? So if Trump wins, it was the Sun wot won it? :wink:
    LOL.
    But the Mail website probably does have more readers over there.
  • Taz said:

A fairer distribution of migrants is looming with migrants due to be sent to small towns and rural areas.

This is excellent news. It is not right to keep dumping these vulnerable people in a handful of areas.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/asylum-seekers-to-be-sent-to-rural-areas-for-fairer-distribution-of-migrants/ar-AA14cNsv?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=25d075e11a9346289a19256cd1e9f0c5

A positive step forward. Though I note that they quote that political giant Jonathan Gullis who angrily says Stoke is full of migrants. What he means - and what many local voters think - is that they ALL should be sent somewhere else.

Whilst sending asylum seekers to all parts of the country makes sense, it will not be an easy time for the poor sods being sent to places who already view outsiders with suspicion. And by "outsiders" I mean people "who weren't born here and will never understand here". A direct quote from the Mayor of Thornaby-on-Tees as an example of the parochial bigotry which blights this country.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    The front page is good, but the actual story (on page 26) is even better

Holy mother of God, the *actual Post* story is brutal. It has to be seen in the context of the paper to be properly appreciated as the "whatever, boring" NYC brushoff it is. "Post Staff Report" as a byline is the touch designed to personally enrage Trump.
    https://twitter.com/EsotericCD/status/1592900337006149633/photo/1

Alistair said:

FTPT

Alistair said:

1241 people for this one

It wouldn't take a particularly complicated Python script ...
    "Is this the five minute made-up poll - or the full half hour?"
  • Taz said:

I agree with this. Though I think that, based on what we are seeing in rural Lincolnshire, it is unfair to say that that distribution has not already been happening. Always room for more though.

There used to be a whole network of asylum centres and accommodation across England but, certainly in my area, a lot of it seems to have been shut down and replaced by hiring hotels. I am not sure why this was allowed to happen although there may have been good reasons.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,117

FPT

Fuckers.

This thread sounds just like a memoir of messdeck life in the Navy.
    EPG said:

Consensus is no way Trump. Let's see some polls. Lots of money was made due to that assumption in the last primaries.

Difference at the moment is the polls are saying Trump is behind. In 2015 the Polls were saying Trump was miles ahead whilst the pundits said he had no chance.

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Why are the Republicans favourites? Bonkers.
    Implied odds for the general election, looking at his price for the nomination, is around evens.
  • Taz said:

I agree with this. Though I think that, based on what we are seeing in rural Lincolnshire, it is unfair to say that that distribution has not already been happening. Always room for more though.

There used to be a whole network of asylum centres and accommodation across England but, certainly in my area, a lot of it seems to have been shut down and replaced by hiring hotels. I am not sure why this was allowed to happen although there may have been good reasons.
    More likely austerity short term budget cuts leading to increased long term costs rather than good reasons. This is the biggest problem with the government of the last decade and the Sunak/Osborne ideology.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    edited November 2022

Taz said:

A positive step forward. Though I note that they quote that political giant Jonathan Gullis who angrily says Stoke is full of migrants. What he means - and what many local voters think - is that they ALL should be sent somewhere else.

Whilst sending asylum seekers to all parts of the country makes sense, it will not be an easy time for the poor sods being sent to places who already view outsiders with suspicion. And by "outsiders" I mean people "who weren't born here and will never understand here". A direct quote from the Mayor of Thornaby-on-Tees as an example of the parochial bigotry which blights this country.
    What is amusing is the way you both assume such views are bigoted and that they are somehow unique to this country. In reality such views, while not always smoothly expressed to assuage the sensitivities of the chatterati, are pretty normal and they are everywhere. Witnessed many times here in Spain while waiting in queues ahead of the local Spanish.
    Taz said:

How long do think they will stay put? How many Albanian speakers are there in south Devon? Over weeks and months they will move to urban areas where they will have a community. OK, a community that might exploit them, get them involved in cheap labour or even in criminal activity, but it will be their community.

Taz said:

More likely austerity short term budget cuts leading to increased long term costs rather than good reasons. This is the biggest problem with the government of the last decade and the Sunak/Osborne ideology.
    Of course we needed the Labour alternative of no new taxes but lots more spending and hope to invest and grow your way out of deficit in the Future (tm). Aka Trussonomics.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    While Hunt/Sunak try to shift the blame for today’s Autumn Statement into the global ec/war in Ukraine, @YouGov poll in @thetimes suggests nearly 1 in 2 members of public blame the Tories. Which is why the question to current govt of saying sorry/taking responsibility matters https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1593187586918715392/photo/1
  • Taz said:

And yet for every gobby prick who pretends to be speaking for the locals, there will be ten people in the background just quietly getting on with making refugees welcome. We saw it locally with the Afghans who have been at one of the country hotels for the last year and there has been a very well supported effort to make them welcome and comfortable with people supplying all manner of gifts and essentials to make their lives as normal as possible. It rarely makes the news but I get the impression it is happening right across the country under the very noses of the bigots.
    It certainly is. The Home Office run a community resettlement programme together with hundreds of local groups. I'm part of one in our bit of SE London, we hope to be welcoming a family in a matter of weeks.
    The Hulk is back in F1 next season, replacing Schumacher.

Here's an informed analysis of his driving skills.
    https://www.racefans.net/2022/11/17/how-class-act-hulkenbergs-reserve-outings-showed-his-readiness-for-an-f1-return/

Would have been interesting to see what he might have done with an extended run in a top team.

Taz said:

It is certainly the case that poorer areas disproportionately have more migrants sent there and the stats show the distribution is skewed more to a few areas.

Gullis may not be too articulate but his point is not unreasonable. There needs to be a fairer sharing out. Other areas need to do their bit.

The North East has proportionally more Migrants than other parts of the UK

However if you look they tend to be concentrated in places like Gateshead and Middlesbrough. Not too many in Northumberland.
    Alistair said:

EPG said:

Difference at the moment is the polls are saying Trump is behind. In 2015 the Polls were saying Trump was miles ahead whilst the pundits said he had no chance.
    True, he was ahead but on something around 30-35%, and there was good money to be made from the presumption of all the right people that this was his ceiling. He is now behind but two fundamentals make me expect volatility. First 95% of Americans have never seen the leading rival to Trump, and second his career has rested on a massive red shift in his home state.

Taz said:

How long do think they will stay put? How many Albanian speakers are there in south Devon? Over weeks and months they will move to urban areas where they will have a community. OK, a community that might exploit them, get them involved in cheap labour or even in criminal activity, but it will be their community.
    I remember South Shields welcomed quite a few Kosovans during the conflict there. Many came but few stayed. They left and went to Walsall and other areas where there are established Kosovan communities.
  • EPG said:

Taz said:

Of course we needed the Labour alternative of no new taxes but lots more spending and hope to invest and grow your way out of deficit in the Future (tm). Aka Trussonomics.
    No. We need to work out what we want, and then fund that properly, retain key experienced staff rather than rely on short term unmotivated agency staff and quick fixes. Encourage and incentivise public sector management to make innovative but sustainable changes to modernise our public services rather than either leave them constantly firefighting or clinging on to the status quo.

Neither party will do that as they are more motivated by the next 12 months than the next couple of decades.
  • felix said:

Taz said:

What is amusing is the way you both assume such views are bigoted and that they are somehow unique to this country. In reality such views, while not always smoothly expressed to assuage the sensitivities of the chatterati, are pretty normal and they are everywhere. Witnessed many times here in Spain while waiting in queues ahead of the local Spanish.
    Where did I say they are unique to the UK? Our particular brand of xeonphobia is unique - bulldog spirit, the empire, all that bollocks - but other countries have their own versions with their own unique elements.

Are you saying that its ok for people to be petty bigots and we just accept it? The good news is that the younger and more educated people are, the less prone they are to such attitudes.
  • Taz said:

And yet for every gobby prick who pretends to be speaking for the locals, there will be ten people in the background just quietly getting on with making refugees welcome. We saw it locally with the Afghans who have been at one of the country hotels for the last year and there has been a very well supported effort to make them welcome and comfortable with people supplying all manner of gifts and essentials to make their lives as normal as possible. It rarely makes the news but I get the impression it is happening right across the country under the very noses of the bigots.
    Very true. There is a silent and significant number of people who are not pricks. Its just that the right wing politicians and media gobshites fan the flames of bigotry because if they make people ignorant and angry they will vote for them.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    I see that the remnants of the Truss regime were ramping that Rishi may not be a China hawk, yet today the Rishi government has forced the sale of the UK last major silicon wafer manufacturing plant out of Chinese hands. Frankly it should never have been allowed to be sold to the Chinese.
  • FPT

Fuckers.

A hug is all you’re getting.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    This is pretty much my most hectic day at work and windows is forcing an update.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Scott_xP said:

While Hunt/Sunak try to shift the blame for today’s Autumn Statement into the global ec/war in Ukraine, @YouGov poll in @thetimes suggests nearly 1 in 2 members of public blame the Tories. Which is why the question to current govt of saying sorry/taking responsibility matters https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1593187586918715392/photo/1

Which is why they shouldn’t say sorry! Which is why they shouldn’t have told public it was the fault of Conservative colleagues in the first place!

I don’t want to stir up the wrath of muesli here, but to some degree voters think the Tory party are to blame not the international situation because Sunak, Hunt and other top Tories told the public that.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Hunt looked very depressed.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122

felix said:

Taz said:

Where did I say they are unique to the UK? Our particular brand of xeonphobia is unique - bulldog spirit, the empire, all that bollocks - but other countries have their own versions with their own unique elements.

Are you saying that its ok for people to be petty bigots and we just accept it? The good news is that the younger and more educated people are, the less prone they are to such attitudes.
    You very rarely will persuade anyone to change their thoughts or language by denouncing them as parochial bigots. And there are plenty with similar views who express their concerns differently. The concerns have validity and are perfectly normal. However, you like to rant and your anti-English prejudices have grown exponentially since your move to Utopi..oops I mean Scotland. Chill more and you might get better responses. The world can accommodate a wide range of viws on many matters. Oh and in my experiences you will hear such views across the age /race and class spectrum.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

All this talk of next election year is ignoring the elephant in the room.

Let me guess. Something to do with Scotland.

Nigelb said:

The one aspect I'm not sure of is twitter. Trump used twitter in the past to drive the media narrative. It was just too easy for journalists to write their next story by looking at his latest tweets and the reaction to them.

Not being on twitter makes him weaker, but by how much? And will he be back on twitter soon?
    My guess is yes.

Twitter's recommendation AI has some suggestions for me after I followed Elon Musk.

It really shows how he's gone off the deep end:
    -Matt Gaetz
    -Marge Greene
    -Ron DeSanctimonious
    -Donald Trump Jr.
    -Kyle Rittenhouse
    -A Fox contributor
    -Miscellaneous crypto accounts
    -Tesla

https://twitter.com/mattsheffield/status/1590546910016045058
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited November 2022
    Eabhal said:

Hunt looked very depressed.

He’s seen the focus groups.
  • FPT

Fuckers.

A hug is all you’re getting.
    It worked for the Tellytubbies
  • Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

I don't think he cares. And genuinely, he likely believes he can shake things up and win regardless.
    Trump is a RINO so would not care if the Democrats won. Even in inevitable defeat, Trump's victory would be two-fold: he would have shown the Republicans they needed him, and likely become the best-placed ever third-party candidate.
    Nigelb said:

https://www.racefans.net/2022/11/17/how-class-act-hulkenbergs-reserve-outings-showed-his-readiness-for-an-f1-return/

Would have been interesting to see what he might have done with an extended run in a top team.

He’s a good journeyman, which is for Haas a step up from the rookie pay-driver they’ve had for the past two seasons.
    edited November 2022

Scott_xP said:

Autumn Statement: what to expect
    - Tax thresholds frozen to 27/8. 45p starts at £125k. Big energy windfall tax
    - Benefits + pensions lifted by inflation
    - Energy support cont. From Apr 23 typical HH bill capped at £3,000
    - £30bn spending cuts. Beyond 2024, cld rise by just 1% https://twitter.com/bethrigby/status/1592963710058123265

So a social democrat budget then.

Establishment capture of Rishi.
    Good evening

Rigby's speculation has been general knowledge and widely reported elsewhere for some days

I prefer to wait and listen to the real thing tomorrow where there will be much more detail but also the OBR report

I would be very surprised if the detail does not cause a major reevaluation for labour's plans
    What a surprise, Big G offers no judgment apart from that the news will be bad for Labour.

What a pathetic Tory stooge.
    Very belligerent there Walks. But also very wrong. Big G is right, opposition are powerless, the government have control of parliament and budget to shape and frame the political narratives.

If the Tories get positive headlines from this budget it can propel them to mid 30s in polling, right back in the mix to defend their majority. boosting popularity of Sunaks’ Government. As Hunt explained last weekend, not all in his budget will be bad news, with much support for the NHS and for social care; with promised help for the poorest too, these announcements can only be popular. What can produce further good headlines is where economists will praise government for avoiding pitfalls, and voters will see building towards a more prosperous future. And voters could fear a change of government tbtranpling the green shoots of recovery.

the “rabbit from the hat” today is don’t be surprised if Sunak and Hunt shoot Labours fox with a Property/Wealth Tax to meet rising bills due to ageing population - Jeremy Hunt has been at the forefront designing such a plan for many years.
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    But the Mail website probably does have more readers over there.
    Sobering to think the future of US democracy could lie in the hands of the Mail :open_mouth:

Still, even they are anti-Trump, presumably?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    DougSeal said:

Which the SC will likely put to bed next week anyway by saying Holyrood has no competence to hold an indyref2 without UK government consent. Or else at least union matters are reserved to Westminster
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458
    So, what rabbit is Hunt going to pull out of the hat today? Obviously most of the budget has been leaked/trailed, with the pitch well and truly rolled in advance, but he's bound to have a thing or two up his sleeve to surprise/delight the voters. I can't think what though - any ideas? An income tax cut promised for 2030?
    MaxPB said:

I see that the remnants of the Truss regime were ramping that Rishi may not be a China hawk, yet today the Rishi government has forced the sale of the UK last major silicon wafer manufacturing plant out of Chinese hands. Frankly it should never have been allowed to be sold to the Chinese.

What's more concerning is that it's our only such plant, and that it's pretty well an irrelevance in the chip market.

The US has taken a similarly tough stance towards Chinese tech, with rather more significance. Though notably Biden is also making recent efforts to keep communication friendly with them, despite having taken the most draconian measures against their chip industry of any administration in the last several decades.
  • F1: worth remembering Hulkenberg's really good at Interlagos in the wet. Got pole for Williams and could've had a win for Force India but for a (harsh, if memory serves) penalty.

Nigelb said:

He won’t be back on Twitter now that he has his Truth Social network - which all the journalists will have just signed up for.
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Which the SC will likely put to bed next week anyway by saying Holyrood has no competence to hold an indyref2 without UK government consent. Or else at least union matters are reserved to Westminster
    I was asking a question. Maybe it’s a literal elephant.
    I doubt the NY Post is going to make too much difference given New York is hardly a Trump stronghold anyway, certainly not the urban bits.

Trump's support is instead focused on rural areas of the South and the bluecollar rustbelt Midwest.

He can also self fund as a billionaire, remember in 2016 Jeb Bush raised more than Trump did
    Most controversial event since the spire was outed as crooked ? :wink:
  • felix said:

felix said:

Taz said:

You very rarely will persuade anyone to change their thoughts or language by denouncing them as parochial bigots. And there are plenty with similar views who express their concerns differently. The concerns have validity and are perfectly normal. However, you like to rant and your anti-English prejudices have grown exponentially since your move to Utopi..oops I mean Scotland. Chill more and you might get better responses. The world can accommodate a wide range of viws on many matters. Oh and in my experiences you will hear such views across the age /race and class spectrum.
    I am English. I'm not anti-English. Or anti any nation. I am anti-wanker. And Teesside was sadly infested with them. BTW the "parochial bigots" phrase was crafted by someone born and bred in Thornaby giving his exasperated view of so many of his fellow locals. I thought it was beautifully phrased so adopted it.

I get it. When the world was small its easy to fear outsiders as the "other". So many people didn't leave the place they lived and worked - the start of mass holidays at the seaside was a revolution for people in my old home town.

But it is 2022. The world is large and it is very easy to both travel to places as exotic as the next town or country or country. And the internet lets the further away places come to us. There is no need for League of Gentlemen attitudes to be anything other than parody, yet it is still advocated by wankers for votes. I find that depressing.
  • MaxPB said:

True, though the sale was referred back in July by the BEIS under Kwasi, iirc. The trouble is, it was not founded either in covert protectionism like America and Europe, or even industrial strategy. Yesterday's decision (to block the sale) was China bad, not Britain good.
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Salmond announcing he will stand Alba candidates in every SNP held constituency after Sturgeon rules out UDI?
  • novanova Posts: 525
    EPG said:

Taz said:

Trussonomics biggest issue was borrowing to cut taxes.

Borrowing to invest in green industries to encourage growth is completely different. It might not work, but it's definitely different to Truss, and borrowing to invest is pretty standard way that businesses grow, so hardly controversial.

Your aka would put just about anything except cuts into the Trussonomics box.
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Salmond announcing he will stand Alba candidates in every SNP held constituency after Sturgeon rules out UDI?
    Nelly? Dumbo?
    EPG said:

Alistair said:

EPG said:

True, he was ahead but on something around 30-35%, and there was good money to be made from the presumption of all the right people that this was his ceiling. He is now behind but two fundamentals make me expect volatility. First 95% of Americans have never seen the leading rival to Trump, and second his career has rested on a massive red shift in his home state.
    That's a fair shout, my memory of Nov-Dec 2015 was he was already >40% but looking at the polling you are right and he was 30-40% range.

I'm also sceptical of DeSantis on the national stage (witness his stumping failures in the midterms, all but 2 candidates lost) but he's no Scott Walker and the press is absolutely begging to be completely compliant for him as they are desperate to write the "GOP free of Trump" story no matter what.
  • Eabhal said:

This is pretty much my most hectic day at work and windows is forcing an update.

Then speak to your corporate IT department about forcing updates out of work hours.
  • HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

He can't find candidates to run for his own council. He won't find candidates for Holyrood or Westminster.
    felix said:

felix said:

Taz said:

Very true. At the 2019 election that is what labour effectively did to the Red Wall and were then shocked the red wall turned against labour !!!!
    Engaging with the voters rather than abusing them or assuming they all think or act alike is probably a better course of action.

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

He can't find candidates to run for his own council. He won't find candidates for Holyrood or Westminster.
    Hey may be able to in that scenario
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

He’s a good journeyman, which is for Haas a step up from the rookie pay-driver they’ve had for the past two seasons.
    He's a bit better than that.

So, what rabbit is Hunt going to pull out of the hat today? Obviously most of the budget has been leaked/trailed, with the pitch well and truly rolled in advance, but he's bound to have a thing or two up his sleeve to surprise/delight the voters. I can't think what though - any ideas? An income tax cut promised for 2030?

Resigning and calling for Sunak to go/a general election?

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm bored of stable(ish) government. I yearn for the excitement of the Truss days :wink:
    edited November 2022

Scott_xP said:

Autumn Statement: what to expect
    - Tax thresholds frozen to 27/8. 45p starts at £125k. Big energy windfall tax
    - Benefits + pensions lifted by inflation
    - Energy support cont. From Apr 23 typical HH bill capped at £3,000
    - £30bn spending cuts. Beyond 2024, cld rise by just 1% https://twitter.com/bethrigby/status/1592963710058123265

So a social democrat budget then.

Establishment capture of Rishi.
    Good evening

Rigby's speculation has been general knowledge and widely reported elsewhere for some days

I prefer to wait and listen to the real thing tomorrow where there will be much more detail but also the OBR report

I would be very surprised if the detail does not cause a major reevaluation for labour's plans
    What a surprise, Big G offers no judgment apart from that the news will be bad for Labour.

What a pathetic Tory stooge.
    Very belligerent there Walks. But also very wrong. Big G is right, opposition are powerless, the government have control of parliament and budget to shape and frame the political narratives.

If the Tories get positive headlines from this budget it can propel them to mid 30s in polling, right back in the mix to defend their majority. boosting popularity of Sunaks’ Government. As Hunt explained last weekend, not all in his budget will be bad news, with much support for the NHS and for social care; with promised help for the poorest too, these announcements can only be popular. What can produce further good headlines is where economists will praise government for avoiding pitfalls, and voters will see building towards a more prosperous future. And voters could fear a change of government tbtranpling the green shoots of recovery.

the “rabbit from the hat” today is don’t be surprised if Sunak and Hunt shoot Labours fox with a Property/Wealth Tax to meet rising bills due to ageing population - Jeremy Hunt has been at the forefront designing such a plan for many years.
    To help Big G out here with more concrete examples. Truss government missed an open goal how popular Hunt’s Windfall Tax on Energy and Banking profits will be with voters. Daily Express is spot on, how these tax rises are copy of what Lady Thatcher done when times were tough in the eighties - saying back then if households are struggling, those not struggling should pay a little bit more as we are all in this together. That popular move helped Maggie win the GE 2 years later. As someone said, bad for Labour their popular policies stolen.
    Xi confronts Trudeau at G20 over leaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEMWYOa7nJg

felix said:

felix said:

Taz said:

I am English. I'm not anti-English. Or anti any nation. I am anti-wanker. And Teesside was sadly infested with them. BTW the "parochial bigots" phrase was crafted by someone born and bred in Thornaby giving his exasperated view of so many of his fellow locals. I thought it was beautifully phrased so adopted it.

I get it. When the world was small its easy to fear outsiders as the "other". So many people didn't leave the place they lived and worked - the start of mass holidays at the seaside was a revolution for people in my old home town.

But it is 2022. The world is large and it is very
    easy to both travel to places as exotic as the next town or country or country. And the internet lets the further away places come to
    us. There is no need for League of Gentlemen
    attitudes to be anything other than parody, yet
    it is still advocated by wankers for votes. I find
    that depressing.
    Oh come on. You are a more than a *bit* anti- English. Maybe it’s because your new locale is rubbing off on you but Felix is hardly the only one who’s noticed.

nova said:

EPG said:

Taz said:

Trussonomics biggest issue was borrowing to cut taxes.

Borrowing to invest in green industries to encourage growth is completely different. It might not work, but it's definitely different to Truss, and borrowing to invest is pretty standard way that businesses grow, so hardly controversial.

Your aka would put just about anything except cuts into the Trussonomics box.
    No, I'm afraid there is not much difference at all. Bond investors don't think green is more moral than tax cuts. They just don't see how they can get paid back by a government running a permanent 8% deficit, unless the repayment is in funny money.

(There is one difference of course: it's easy to reverse a tax cut, like Hunt did, but once you've used debt to invest in capital that doesn't deliver a cash flow, you are permanently leveraged.)
  • Ghedebrav said:

Would that bother someone overly who has identified as a Dem in the past? I imagine GOP worms who have turned getting stuffed would be a feature rather than a bug for Trump running as a third party candidate. Also going rogue would provide the opportunity for another huge grift, something that always gives Trump a warm, fuzzy feeling.
    LOL

Conservative chair of the Treasury Committee, Harriett Baldwin: "It clearly was a disastrous mini-budget. I don't think we want to dwell too long on who was to blame for it."
    https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1593177170989682689
    BBC are all about the energy support ending in April - where the **** have they been - this was announced and taken as done WEEKS AGO. In the meantime Starmer says it’s the right decision it ends in April - leaving Martin Lewis out on his own.

I think Martin Lewis is pretty rubbish. If he cared about the vulnerable why doesn’t he now get behind these struggling people targeting policy points instead
    1 moratorium on court action to collect energy debts
    2 a winter ban on energy companies forcibly switching customers to prepayment meters including smart prepay.
    3 Support for low income households which takes into account their actual energy bills due to their family size and need, regardless of receipt of means tested benefits.
    4 Increase Local Housing Allowance.
    5 An obviously up-rate benefits to reflect the inflation rate, but food inflation is 16% where low income households struggle across essentials. can government look at subsidies and interventions to help poorer families have better access to milk and eggs this winter? those key items food banks are now struggling to provide?

I know PB laughs at “for everyone a free owl” but “for everyone a free egg” would be amazing right now. That’s my policy position.
    This is quite a significant step for Israel, and possibly for Ukraine, too.

Israel gave NATO members, including UK, permission to deliver to Ukraine weapons systems, including fire-control and electro-optic, that include Israeli components.
    It also agreed to purchase 'strategic materials' for Ukraine's armed forces

https://twitter.com/avischarf/status/1593156810214703104
    Nigelb said:

This is quite a significant step for Israel, and possibly for Ukraine, too.

Israel gave NATO members, including UK, permission to deliver to Ukraine weapons systems, including fire-control and electro-optic, that include Israeli components.
    It also agreed to purchase 'strategic materials' for Ukraine's armed forces

https://twitter.com/avischarf/status/1593156810214703104

That’s awesome news. Iron Dome coming to Kiev this winter.

BBC are all about the energy support ending in April - where the **** have they been - this was announced and taken as done WEEKS AGO. In the meantime Starmer says it’s the right decision it ends in April - leaving Martin Lewis out on his own.

I think Martin Lewis is pretty rubbish. If he cared about the vulnerable why doesn’t he now get behind these struggling people targeting policy points instead
    1 moratorium on court action to collect energy debts
    2 a winter ban on energy companies forcibly switching customers to prepayment meters including smart prepay.
    3 Support for low income households which takes into account their actual energy bills due to their family size and need, regardless of receipt of means tested benefits.
    4 Increase Local Housing Allowance.
    5 An obviously up-rate benefits to reflect the inflation rate, but food inflation is 16% where low income households struggle across essentials. can government look at subsidies and interventions to help poorer families have better access to milk and eggs this winter? those key items food banks are now struggling to provide?

I know PB laughs at “for everyone a free owl” but “for everyone a free egg” would be amazing right now. That’s my policy position.

Similarly, universal free school meals.
    The benefit/cost ratio of that would be very high.
This discussion has been closed.