Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump’s going to struggle if he thinks he can take on Murdoch – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984

Just had my most important postbox collection so far

I know it's a letter to Santa, but are you allowed to post photographs of actual mail?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited November 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Treasury sources confirm overall tax burden will rise to 37.5% of GDP by 24/25 - highest since WW2. Even in 27/28 it barely drops to 37.1%
    Add post-election plans to cut unprotected spending, and capital spending, and there's little "jam tomorrow" for JAMs [just about managings].

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1593241701102985217

How did people expect the half a trillion pounds spent on covid and now energy bungs for the middle class to be paid for?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,630
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

I now await apologies from the “it was a missile” mob and the “it was a boat” brigade

If you're demanding an apology from PBers for each time they get something wrong then you've got a long day of typing ahead of you.
    Only joking. Because then I'd have to do the same, and seeing as I express 3000 opinions a day, many of them wrong, that would take up a lot of my drinking time
    But if it took up your drinking time, you would be more sober and so more of your posts would be correct and therefore need less apologies.

However if that were the case it would give you more time to drink and therefore make more incorrect posts requiring more apologies which would take up more of your drinking time, so making you more sober....
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Perhaps it is asking Santa to deliver the Andrew Dilnot social care reforms before s/he is themselves in a care home.

However I am currently blessed with three grandchildren, all devout believers, though not I suppose for much longer. So I am under strict instructions to keep all sarcastic and grumpy old man comments to myself.
    I hated lying to my son about Father Christmas. I was so relieved when he told me he knew that Santa wasn't real.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Leon said:

This budget is probably the best sandwich Hunt and Sunak could make out of crap, but it is still a crap sandwich, and no one likes it

Labour should now be even firmer favourites for the 2024 election. They will have to screw up enormously to lose

If inflation drops substantially as suggested by the BoE governor and the recession is not as deep or as long as predicted, than Labour might have a problem. It is a lot of "ifs", but Rishi does have the feel of a lucky general to me. The worry is that if Labour do lose next time they will swing back to the extreme left again.
    I don't think many people will be happy for prices have gone up loads and now they are still going up at a decent whack (just not quite as fast as before), while your taxes have gone up (and will do more), while your pay hasn't.

Its a seriously hard sell.
    One surprise from today is they are not now predicting that quick a drop from inflation, it’s not that many weeks ago BoE saying in two years time it won’t be much above 2%.

And What if lack of growth not all down to Putin’s war and covid, what if UK economy now has unique supply problems causing it to be less flexible and productive?
  • Options
    Alameda was exempt from being liquidated when trading on FTX, court filing shows

https://twitter.com/BitcoinMagazine/status/1593240447790432256?s=20&t=nX8yMSmhutN7eUCVo1NHlg
  • Options

MattW said:

Incidentally, has anyone noticed hikes in Fish and Chip prices?

Mine has been fantastic value for years and years, and just hoicked the prices by about 25-30%. Large fish, large peas and chips just went up to around £9-10.

Ticket prices for events are gone absolutely nuts.
    Although not as nuts as your advertised prices for a pint in That London.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

kadhim (^ー^)ノ@kadhim
    ·
    29m
    FTX says the "fair value" of all the crypto that FTX international holds is a mere $659!

Remember that SBF has been marking it at $5.5bn: https://ft.com/content/f05fe9f8-ca0a-48d5-8ef2-7a4d813af558

"Never in my career have I seen such a complete failure of corporate controls and such a complete absence of trustworthy financial information."

No jokes about the Truss administration, please.
    SBF is a Biden donor, isn't he?
    Yup, second biggest Dem donor - after Soros - this year. Not just Dems either, several million to Republicans too.

https://heavy.com/news/sam-bankman-fried-ukraine-politics-biden/
    The thing about Bankrupt-Fraud is he looked like one of the few legit players in the space. Unlike most "crypto" players, many of whom were running obvious ponzis (e.g. Celsius) or who looked outright dodgy (e.g. Tether), Sam B-F was an insider in the US establishment, connected to Gensler via his parents, major donor to the dems, appeared to be attempting to clean up / bring legitimacy to the space.

Turns out he's somewhere between Elizabeth Holmes and Madoff - a bog standard confidence trickster. He pulled the wool over a lot of people's eyes including me. I have no exposure to FTX, but if you would have asked me a month ago I would have said he is one of the few legit players in the space you could [relatively] safely leave your money with.

Lesson learned.

I was around for Gox in 2014 and this is several orders of magnitude bigger.

Ultimately the problem with most cryptos is that they are essentially digital bearer assets. Whoever has the keys can run off with them. This is a feature, not a bug - bitcoin being a hobby for anarcho-capitalist cypherpunks back in the day. But as it's gone mainstream, and the tech is being used by people without the requisite technical knowledge, it's turned into a bit of an epic design flaw. To put it ever so mildly.

Long term this goes one of two ways - the space gets regulated and becomes part of the mainstream financial sector, or it dies a death as a failed experiment. At the moment - could go either way.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

MattW said:

Mine has been fantastic value for years and years, and just hoicked the prices by about 25-30%. Large fish, large peas and chips just went up to around £9-10.

I wonder if this will actually help to beat the resale market.....

People were moaning about Eng vs NZ tix at Lords this summer. Best day I had for years and well worth the £140 per seat....bought 2 weeks before the event happened.
    Hasn't worked for Peter Kay tickets ;-)

This trend for dynamic pricing though that Ticketmaster are introducing needs to be regulated against. That seems a total no-no, because unlike say airlines, there is no competition / market pressure, there isn't an EasyJet vs RyanAir vs BA etc.

An artist comes to a city for a gig and signed exclusively with now basically Live Nation (who also the same people who own Ticketmaster). In general, you can't choose to go to see the artist at a different venue nearby run where it is organised by a different company / tickets sold by a different vendor.
    You'd have to pay me to see Peter Kay.

And I still probably wouldn't go.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,630

I know it's a letter to Santa, but are you allowed to post photographs of actual mail?
    If it were my letter I would report him, so I think Santa should do the same.
  • Options

kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Perhaps it is asking Santa to deliver the Andrew Dilnot social care reforms before s/he is themselves in a care home.

However I am currently blessed with three grandchildren, all devout believers, though not I suppose for much longer. So I am under strict instructions to keep all sarcastic and grumpy old man comments to myself.
    If they are like my children, you will find out later they didn't believe for quite some time but didn't want to risk the presents drying up, so kept up the pretense for many years.
    I remember feeling like I right idiot when I discovered it was all a big lie.

Tooth fairy. Santa. God.

All this shite I was fed when I was young.
    The Easter Bunny was always an obvious fraud though. He was supposed to bounce through daffoldilled fields in warm spring sunshine. Which is poor cover at the best of times.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022
    That's a hilarious strapline in the NYP. Man from Florida says something :smile:

Re. Republican donors, it might be too early to say. But Sheldon Adelson is no longer with us, having died a few days after 6 January 2021.

Mike Pence says he won't support Trump's candidacy. After Trump tried to have him murdered by a lynch mob, it's good to see he's got a bit of backbone.

I didn't find a transcript of Trump's declaration speech, and I haven't got either the time or the stomach to watch the video, but did he mention the GOP much?? Did he mention it at all?

He said things like this: "In order to make America great and glorious again, I tonight am announcing my candidacy for president of the United States" ... not "candidacy for the Republican nomination".

Could he run third party? Surely he must have that option in his pocket to wield against rivals in the Republican party: "If you don't choose me, I'll destroy your f***ing party."

At the moment it looks as though he'll have Sh*tter on his side, if not Murdoch - assuming that company is still trading.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

At first sight this looks to be a good and well-balanced budget, given the starting position.

"Given the starting position..."
    Who gave it to us ?
    Various idiots, including Boris Johnson, Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng, although to be fair the government is right to point out that a lot of the problem comes from things totally outside the UK's control.

Nice to have a grown-up Chancellor, again. Hunt is much better than Sunak was.
    Agreed.
    But it would be nice if some of the crew that have been running the show for the last decade or so, and are still in government, would occasionally say "sorry, we made mistakes", rather than "mistakes were made".
    To be fair, Hunt didn't make those mistakes.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited November 2022

Mortimer said:

MattW said:

People were moaning about Eng vs NZ tix at Lords this summer. Best day I had for years and well worth the £140 per seat....bought 2 weeks before the event happened.

This trend for dynamic pricing though that Ticketmaster are introducing needs to be regulated against. That seems a total no-no, because unlike say airlines, there is no competition / market pressure, there isn't an EasyJet vs RyanAir vs BA etc.

An artist comes to a city for a gig and signed exclusively with now basically Live Nation (who also the same people who own Ticketmaster). In general, you can't choose to go to see the artist at a different venue nearby run where it is organised by a different company / tickets sold by a different vendor.
    The British Grand Prix introduced dynamic pricing for 2023, which drew a lot of complaints. But the whole thing, 450,000 day tickets, still sold out in less than 48 hours.

I think they’re trying to see what the market can bear for ticket sales, which makes sense for the promotor who sees so many of their tickets resold for huge premiums.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

This budget is probably the best sandwich Hunt and Sunak could make out of crap, but it is still a crap sandwich, and no one likes it

Labour should now be even firmer favourites for the 2024 election. They will have to screw up enormously to lose

If inflation drops substantially as suggested by the BoE governor and the recession is not as deep or as long as predicted, than Labour might have a problem. It is a lot of "ifs", but Rishi does have the feel of a lucky general to me. The worry is that if Labour do lose next time they will swing back to the extreme left again.
    I think it is the opposite - if inflation drops to something manageable, and people are feeling the "green shoots of recovery" that is only to Labour's advantage. Just as in 1997, the Tories will get the blame for the bottom, and Labour will take power with the benefit of managing a growing economy.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,193
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Etc. But I fear the "high wage high skill economy" remains the remotest of prospects. It's become something you just say out of custom before moving onto the substance. A bit like "how are you?"

"Working tirelessly".
    How about you ?
    Mustn't grumble.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

As you would expect I agree with Jezza #enoughisenough

A massive hole in the market for an anti Austerity Party at GE2024 No sign of one emerging

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn
    ·
    1h
    Jeremy Hunt's attempt to justify the last wave of austerity is an insult to all those who lost their lives to 12 years of state-sanctioned cruelty.

Even more insulting is that he expects us to simply lie down and accept it all over again.

He's got another thing coming.

The idiot can't even get the phrase "another think coming" right.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,002
    edited November 2022
    Farage portraying Reform as the new party of small business

@Nigel_Farage
    Jeremy Hunt just declared war on small business.

This budget was great for pensioners and layabouts, but terrible for entrepreneurship.

What is the point in this Tory party?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Nigelb said:

At first sight this looks to be a good and well-balanced budget, given the starting position.

Who gave it to us ?
    Various idiots, including Boris Johnson, Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng, although to be fair the government is right to point out that a lot of the problem comes from things totally outside the UK's control.

I'm very much looking forward to the managed declinist pensioner-reliant rump of the Tory party owning the next election defeat. Then we can finally put to bed Heathism and rejuvenate the party with some pro-building, pro supply-side economic reform young-uns.
    And lose the next few elections, until they finally come to their senses and let some future David Cameron drag them back into the real world. Will take a long time, though.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    It appears that the verdict in the Dutch trial over the MH17 shootdown is going further than I thought (although into things that were fairly obvious anyway):

"The verdict in the #MH17 case is being pronounced, and the court is already making a clear case that the armed invasion in 2014 was controlled by the Kremlin, and thus responsible for the shoot-down. Very likely thus today's verdicts will not be the last, or most important ones."

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1593226267805257728

""The court has ascertained that the Russian Federation coordinated military actions in the DPR, finanzed and provided weapons to the militants, but also undertook military actions on its own. Russia was in full control of the DPR""

Note: the verdict has not been released yet, and Christo is a somewhat involved party.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    HYUFD said:

@Nigel_Farage

This budget was great for pensioners and layabouts, but terrible for entrepreneurship.

One gets the feeling he’ll be back on the political scene, in time for the next election.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,434

algarkirk said:

I hated lying to my son about Father Christmas. I was so relieved when he told me he knew that Santa wasn't real.

I generally take the "I'm not at liberty to confirm or deny" line when asked questions about Santa and other mythical creatures. Seems to reinforce belief, strangely.

Lots of interesting things recently as my eldest is at a CofE* school and comes home with all kinds of interesting factoids. In those cases I generally gently say to him that some people believe that but not everyone does.

*all the nearest primary schools are CofE or Catholic - it would have required a much longer journey away from his play group friends to avoid a religious education
  • Options
    When was the last time a PM had even a quarter as long a legal career as Keir Starmer had? Neither Thatcher nor Blair come anywhere close.

Starmer is good at forensics on his feet, but that's an almost irrelevant skill during an election campaign.
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

@Nigel_Farage

One gets the feeling he’ll be back on the political scene, in time for the next election.
    Just when you think things couldn't get any worse. It's hard to think of one man who has done more damage to the country in the last 50 years.
  • Options

kjh said:

algarkirk said:

If they are like my children, you will find out later they didn't believe for quite some time but didn't want to risk the presents drying up, so kept up the pretense for many years.

Tooth fairy. Santa. God.

The Easter Bunny was always an obvious fraud though. He was supposed to bounce through daffoldilled fields in warm spring sunshine. Which is poor cover at the best of times.
    But the smart kids pretend to believe so as to score the chocolate. Keep it up till you're 15 if you can.
  • Options

A massive hole in the market for an anti Austerity Party at GE2024 No sign of one emerging

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn
    ·
    1h
    Jeremy Hunt's attempt to justify the last wave of austerity is an insult to all those who lost their lives to 12 years of state-sanctioned cruelty.

Even more insulting is that he expects us to simply lie down and accept it all over again.

What's the other 'thing' that he has coming?

Another budget?
    Another crisis?
    Another PM?
    Or just the ASDA Ocado delivery this evening?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Mortimer said:

Nigelb said:

Who gave it to us ?

I'm very much looking forward to the managed declinist pensioner-reliant rump of the Tory party owning the next election defeat. Then we can finally put to bed Heathism and rejuvenate the party with some pro-building, pro supply-side economic reform young-uns.
    And lose the next few elections, until they finally come to their senses and let some future David Cameron drag them back into the real world. Will take a long time, though.
    I've never seen the point in the blue team winning with social democrat policies. We need to proudly state what we believe in and change the conversation.

The current Conservative leadership is entirely in hock to a golden generation of pensioners. It is a terrible state of affairs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,596

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Who gave it to us ?

Agreed.
    But it would be nice if some of the crew that have been running the show for the last decade or so, and are still in government, would occasionally say "sorry, we made mistakes", rather than "mistakes were made".
    To be fair, Hunt didn't make those mistakes.
    His PM did - and Hunt was an MP regularly voting to keep them in government.

I don't have any particular animus against Hunt, but the idea which seems to have developed, that the Tories somehow supply their own internal opposition, so there's no need for anyone else, is one of the things which pisses me off about them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    On economics I tend to take a pretty simplistic view of things, largely because I struggle to understand the more complex stuff. So that understandably downweights my views.

But it seems to me that we are as a country pretty broke. No one seems to have any clue how to stimulate growth as the latest attempt was simply wishing for it and borrowing to plug a massive hole.

So no one is offering a growth plan, yet we need a lot more money. Therefore, we need more taxes. Efficiencies have already been largely achieved, in fact we've made false efficiencies, so even though more tax hurts I don't get what alternative there is.

I am close to a higher tax band so I guess I should hope for no pay rise next year though.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Selebian said:

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn
    ·
    1h

Another budget?
    Another crisis?
    Another PM?
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2014/nov/18/mind-your-language-another-think

‘Another think coming’ seems a rather jocular, witty way to say someone is mistaken. ‘Another thing coming’ usually suggests to me that the author desires the ‘other thing’ coming to be a fist in an idiot’s face.
  • Options
    The expressions in this clip are... interesting.

Russia is suddenly realizing that they depend completely on Western technologies.

"If we nationalize everything, we'll have nothing to drive, nothing to make calls with..."

Did you want to kill people and at the same time use Western technologies and vacation in Europe?

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1592898787575357440
  • Options
    poker OGs will remember that UltimateBet - where FTX chief regulatory officer Daniel Friedberg was the head lawyer - also tried to get whales to hold large balances on deposit with the promise of 9% APR.

they too were insolvent, and cheating users (insiders could see our cards).

https://twitter.com/ColeSouth/status/1593035288980656129?s=20&t=4l02MNUTee3VlWQBQj3ZGw
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited November 2022
    On the EV road tax changes… it does seem a bit bonkers that I’ll carry on paying £30 for my ice city car (justified at the time because it was lower emission) while EVs will pay full whack.

Have I got that right? Or did I miss Hunt abolishing the free/£30 tax status of some older ice cars?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,949
    There was no rabbit in the Chancellor's Autumn Statement hat. It's been shot. And it turns out it had myxomatosis anyway.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-stare-abyss-jeremy-hunts-28517146 https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1593250997748785153/photo/1
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,169
    Awwww at
    kle4 said:

On economics I tend to take a pretty simplistic view of things, largely because I struggle to understand the more complex stuff. So that understandably downweights my views.

But it seems to me that we are as a country pretty broke. No one seems to have any clue how to stimulate growth as the latest attempt was simply wishing for it and borrowing to plug a massive hole.

So no one is offering a growth plan, yet we need a lot more money. Therefore, we need more taxes. Efficiencies have already been largely achieved, in fact we've made false efficiencies, so even though more tax hurts I don't get what alternative there is.

I am close to a higher tax band so I guess I should hope for no pay rise next year though.

Yes. Basically we’re fucked

A lot of other countries are fucked as well, but the UK is sadly further down the line than many

For us this arguably all began in 2007

There is one source of optimism. AI and other revolutionary technologies. They might provide a huge boost to economies worldwide, allowing us all to escape decline

• Options
    Blimey, even the Daily Express is recognising the need to address carbon emissions.

"A plant of this scale could just be what the country needs as it races to meet net zero carbon emissions by 2050." Thanks @Daily_Express for the piece on #highviewpower's plans to accelerate roll out of renewables across the UK, reducing reliance on gas.
    https://twitter.com/HighviewPower/status/1593251407012200452
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Speaking to a colleague about to enter higher rate (annual increment will take her into it next year) she was saying she might increase her pension payments (AVCs are possible to a DC pension pot, in addition to the DB main) to stay below and so keep child benefit, rather than paying some back.

Is that a thing? Would reduce taxable salary, so she wouldn't actually pay higher rate, but would HMRC swallow that with respect to child benefit? Or base that on gross, pre sacrifice, salary? Pension contributions (10%) are already salary sacrifice, so if it does count then she'll have a few years before losing some child benefit, even without AVCs.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,178
    HYUFD said:

@Nigel_Farage

Do they have a branch of the Dreary Charlatan's Party (Reform and Rename - and several times) in the Epping Forest area that you could check out and perhaps at some point even chair?
  • Options
    This thread has been shut down like FTX....
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,939
    ping said:

On the EV road tax changes… it does seem a bit bonkers that I’ll carry on paying £30 for my ice city car (justified at the time because it was lower emission) while EVs will pay full whack.

Have I got that right? Or did I miss Hunt abolishing the free/£30 tax status of some older ice cars?

The rule seems to be that VED is fixed at the time a car is purchased. It seems the government is unwilling to change the VED on vehicles that people have already bought.

There’s nothing actually stopping them from doing so though, surely? Is there some legal principle at stake that I don’t know about?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,949
    Interesting nugget in here

And the Foreign Secretary's response to Corbyn. He's completely correct. https://twitter.com/pauloCanning/status/1593203011769479168/photo/1

The war ends when the Ukranians say so, not the Russians.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,939
    NB. New Thread!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Awwww at

kle4 said:

A lot of other countries are fucked as well, but the UK is sadly further down the line than many

There is one source of optimism. AI and other revolutionary technologies. They might provide a huge boost to economies worldwide, allowing us all to escape decline
    ROFL. So you don't hold with the Marxist theory of value then.

Meanwhile, now that Vladimir Putin has done the ritual at Por Bazhyn, it's all over bar a bit of hysterical shouting at trading screens.

A key fact relating to Por Bazhyn is that Sergey Shoigu, who himself comes from that neck of the woods, instructed the 2007-08 excavations. If there were a market on the next Russian president, I'd be backing Shoigu.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Selebian said:

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn
    ·
    1h

Another budget?
    Another crisis?
    Another PM?
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2014/nov/18/mind-your-language-another-think

‘Another think coming’ seems a rather jocular, witty way to say someone is mistaken. ‘Another thing coming’ usually suggests to me that the author desires the ‘other thing’ coming to be a fist in an idiot’s face.
    Yeah, I'm with the author there :smiley:
  • Options

Mortimer said:

MattW said:

You'd have to pay me to see Peter Kay.

And I still probably wouldn't go.
    I love Peter Kay. My wife got us tickets as a birthday present to me. They're for 2025!
  • Options
    At the risk of seeming shallow on this day of big tax & spend announcements, what about those Sunak glasses? Could be me being unobservant but I haven't noticed him wearing those to the Commons before. So why now? And why that style? He doesn't strike me as a man who does things without a reason.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,536

kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Tooth fairy. Santa. God.

Small category error here as revealed if you say instead:

Tooth fairy. Santa. Universe made itself.

In both cases the first two items are knowable within reasonable limits of certainty (not 100% of course - Popper' falsification criteria require this); in the third case each is not a knowable item.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

We're not fucked.

The way I look at it is that high sustainable growth is probably a delusional ambition and in any case isn't something a UK government can deliver. However we're a relatively wealthy country, and will remain so for a long time, therefore what the government ought to do is restrict their efforts on growth to just not doing obviously damaging things like Bre ... no never mind people can pick their own examples ... point is, don't do stupid things that retard growth and other than that focus on what governments really can impact which is how wealth is distributed.

So, you know the old chestnut of the Right, "worry about growing the pie not how the pie is shared"? ... that's imo the absolute opposite of what a sane approach would be. The sane approach is, worry about how the pie is shared and the size of it will look after itself.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,034
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Etc. But I fear the "high wage high skill economy" remains the remotest of prospects. It's become something you just say out of custom before moving onto the substance. A bit like "how are you?"

"Working tirelessly".
    How about you ?
    Mustn't grumble.
    What are you doing here?

This is just a place for the kind of continuous low level grumble that would irritate our wives
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

@Nigel_Farage

It keeps Farage and his friends out of power

• Options

kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Tooth fairy. Santa. God.

One’s thirties can be a cruel decade of discovery.
    The magic money tree seems to be timeless though.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

algarkirk said:

I generally take the "I'm not at liberty to confirm or deny" line when asked questions about Santa and other mythical creatures. Seems to reinforce belief, strangely.

Lots of interesting things recently as my eldest is at a CofE* school and comes home with all kinds of interesting factoids. In those cases I generally gently say to him that some people believe that but not everyone does.

*all the nearest primary schools are CofE or Catholic - it would have required a much longer journey away from his play group friends to avoid a religious education
    When youngsters say to me about God stuff, I say similar. "It's a really interesting story" and tend to leave it at that.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,192
    edited November 2022

algarkirk said:

Oi - spoilers!
This discussion has been closed.