Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Trump’s going to struggle if he thinks he can take on Murdoch – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,019

So, what rabbit is Hunt going to pull out of the hat today? Obviously most of the budget has been leaked/trailed, with the pitch well and truly rolled in advance, but he's bound to have a thing or two up his sleeve to surprise/delight the voters. I can't think what though - any ideas? An income tax cut promised for 2030?

I don't know if now is the good time for a rabbit. Might be best saving that for closer to the election.

One thing that would be good for them would be if they could point to an OBR forecast for inflation before policy decisions, and one after policy decisions, and show inflation coming down more quickly as a result of the budget.

Then they can label any criticism of the spending cuts as being bound to cause inflation and make everyone poorer that way.

Once they start pulling rabbits out of the hat then the question becomes why not this rabbit instead, or as well?
  • PhilPhil Posts: 1,926

BBC are all about the energy support ending in April - where the **** have they been - this was announced and taken as done WEEKS AGO. In the meantime Starmer says it’s the right decision it ends in April - leaving Martin Lewis out on his own.

I think Martin Lewis is pretty rubbish. If he cared about the vulnerable why doesn’t he now get behind these struggling people targeting policy points instead
    1 moratorium on court action to collect energy debts
    2 a winter ban on energy companies forcibly switching customers to prepayment meters including smart prepay.
    3 Support for low income households which takes into account their actual energy bills due to their family size and need, regardless of receipt of means tested benefits.
    4 Increase Local Housing Allowance.
    5 An obviously up-rate benefits to reflect the inflation rate, but food inflation is 16% where low income households struggle across essentials. can government look at subsidies and interventions to help poorer families have better access to milk and eggs this winter? those key items food banks are now struggling to provide?

I know PB laughs at “for everyone a free owl” but “for everyone a free egg” would be amazing right now. That’s my policy position.

He’s been pretty careful up to now to avoid treading into what might be regarded as “political” positions. I think the energy crisis is the first time he’s really come out & said that if we don’t do something then the consequences are going to be catastrophic.

Getting a hearing from all parties pretty much requires an apolitical stance if you’re doing the kind of journalism he does, otherwise you’re just going to be pigeonholed as a partisan hack by one side or the other.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,235
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

This is quite a significant step for Israel, and possibly for Ukraine, too.

Israel gave NATO members, including UK, permission to deliver to Ukraine weapons systems, including fire-control and electro-optic, that include Israeli components.
    It also agreed to purchase 'strategic materials' for Ukraine's armed forces

https://twitter.com/avischarf/status/1593156810214703104

That’s awesome news. Iron Dome coming to Kiev this winter.
    I doubt it. But it's a big step up from their previous position.
  • Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Israel gave NATO members, including UK, permission to deliver to Ukraine weapons systems, including fire-control and electro-optic, that include Israeli components.

Iron Dome will not be supplied by Israel. It might well be supplied by the United States now that Israel is no longer blocking it.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,312

So, what rabbit is Hunt going to pull out of the hat today? Obviously most of the budget has been leaked/trailed, with the pitch well and truly rolled in advance, but he's bound to have a thing or two up his sleeve to surprise/delight the voters. I can't think what though - any ideas? An income tax cut promised for 2030?

One hospital pass that is mooted is allowing local councils to raise council tax as much as they like without a referendum. Coupled with central cuts in public spending, I'm not sure I've ever seen such a transparent effort to pass the buck.
  • Scott_xP said:

Autumn Statement: what to expect
    - Tax thresholds frozen to 27/8. 45p starts at £125k. Big energy windfall tax
    - Benefits + pensions lifted by inflation
    - Energy support cont. From Apr 23 typical HH bill capped at £3,000
    - £30bn spending cuts. Beyond 2024, cld rise by just 1% https://twitter.com/bethrigby/status/1592963710058123265

So a social democrat budget then.

Establishment capture of Rishi.
    Good evening

Rigby's speculation has been general knowledge and widely reported elsewhere for some days

I prefer to wait and listen to the real thing tomorrow where there will be much more detail but also the OBR report

I would be very surprised if the detail does not cause a major reevaluation for labour's plans
    What a surprise, Big G offers no judgment apart from that the news will be bad for Labour.

What a pathetic Tory stooge.
    Very belligerent there Walks. But also very wrong. Big G is right, opposition are powerless, the government have control of parliament and budget to shape and frame the political narratives.

If the Tories get positive headlines from this budget it can propel them to mid 30s in polling, right back in the mix to defend their majority. boosting popularity of Sunaks’ Government. As Hunt explained last weekend, not all in his budget will be bad news, with much support for the NHS and for social care; with promised help for the poorest too, these announcements can only be popular. What can produce further good headlines is where economists will praise government for avoiding pitfalls, and voters will see building towards a more prosperous future. And voters could fear a change of government tbtranpling the green shoots of recovery.

the “rabbit from the hat” today is don’t be surprised if Sunak and Hunt shoot Labours fox with a Property/Wealth Tax to meet rising bills due to ageing population - Jeremy Hunt has been at the forefront designing such a plan for many years.
    To help Big G out here with more concrete examples. Truss government missed an open goal how popular Hunt’s Windfall Tax on Energy and Banking profits will be with voters. Daily Express is spot on, how these tax rises are copy of what Lady Thatcher done when times were tough in the eighties - saying back then if households are struggling, those not struggling should pay a little bit more as we are all in this together. That popular move helped Maggie win the GE 2 years later. As someone said, bad for Labour their popular policies stolen.
    To be honest @Gardenwalker regularly snipes at my comments

I am no conservative stooge as has been demonstrated by many of my posts, but he seems unable to accept that Hunts statement is going to raise questions for labour as they are very likely to be in government when a lot of these announcements take full effect
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,213
    HYUFD said:

I doubt the NY Post is going to make too much difference given New York is hardly a Trump stronghold anyway, certainly not the urban bits.

Trump's support is instead focused on rural areas of the South and the bluecollar rustbelt Midwest.

He can also self fund as a billionaire, remember in 2016 Jeb Bush raised more than Trump did

The point is what Fox Corporation and News Corp do.
  • DougSeal said:

felix said:

felix said:

Taz said:

A fairer distribution of migrants is looming with migrants due to be sent to small towns and rural areas.

This is excellent news. It is not right to keep dumping these vulnerable people in a handful of areas.

Every part of the nation needs to do its bit.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/asylum-seekers-to-be-sent-to-rural-areas-for-fairer-distribution-of-migrants/ar-AA14cNsv?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=25d075e11a9346289a19256cd1e9f0c5

A positive step forward. Though I note that they quote that political giant Jonathan Gullis who angrily says Stoke is full of migrants. What he means - and what many local voters think - is that they ALL should be sent somewhere else.

Whilst sending asylum seekers to all parts of the country makes sense, it will not be an easy time for the poor sods being sent to places who already view outsiders with suspicion. And by "outsiders" I mean people "who weren't born here and will never understand here". A direct quote from the Mayor of Thornaby-on-Tees as an example of the parochial bigotry which blights this country.
    What is amusing is the way you both assume such views are bigoted and that they are somehow unique to this country. In reality such views, while not always smoothly expressed to assuage the sensitivities of the chatterati, are pretty normal and they are everywhere. Witnessed many times here in Spain while waiting in queues ahead of the local Spanish.
    Where did I say they are unique to the UK? Our particular brand of xeonphobia is unique - bulldog spirit, the empire, all that bollocks - but other countries have their own versions with their own unique elements.

Are you saying that its ok for people to be petty bigots and we just accept it? The good news is that the younger and more educated people are, the less prone they are to such attitudes.
    You very rarely will persuade anyone to change their thoughts or language by denouncing them as parochial bigots. And there are plenty with similar views who express their concerns differently. The concerns have validity and are perfectly normal. However, you like to rant and your anti-English prejudices have grown exponentially since your move to Utopi..oops I mean Scotland. Chill more and you might get better responses. The world can accommodate a wide range of viws on many matters. Oh and in my experiences you will hear such views across the age /race and class spectrum.
    I am English. I'm not anti-English. Or anti any nation. I am anti-wanker. And Teesside was sadly infested with them. BTW the "parochial bigots" phrase was crafted by someone born and bred in Thornaby giving his exasperated view of so many of his fellow locals. I thought it was beautifully phrased so adopted it.

I get it. When the world was small its easy to fear outsiders as the "other". So many people didn't leave the place they lived and worked - the start of mass holidays at the seaside was a revolution for people in my old home town.

But it is 2022. The world is large and it is very
    easy to both travel to places as exotic as the next town or country or country. And the internet lets the further away places come to
    us. There is no need for League of Gentlemen
    attitudes to be anything other than parody, yet
    it is still advocated by wankers for votes. I find
    that depressing.
    Oh come on. You are a more than a *bit* anti- English. Maybe it’s because your new locale is rubbing off on you but Felix is hardly the only one who’s noticed.

I have to say that, for all that I disagree with him on many, many things, I have never considered RP to be anti-English. He has always struck me as being pretty balanced in his arguments even when I think he draws the wrong conclusions.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2022

BBC are all about the energy support ending in April - where the **** have they been - this was announced and taken as done WEEKS AGO. In the meantime Starmer says it’s the right decision it ends in April - leaving Martin Lewis out on his own.

I think Martin Lewis is pretty rubbish. If he cared about the vulnerable why doesn’t he now get behind these struggling people targeting policy points instead
    2 a winter ban on energy companies forcibly switching customers to prepayment meters including smart prepay.
    3 Support for low income households which takes into account their actual energy bills due to their family size and need, regardless of receipt of means tested benefits.
    5 An obviously up-rate benefits to reflect the inflation rate, but food inflation is 16% where low income households struggle across essentials. can government look at subsidies and interventions to help poorer families have better access to milk and eggs this winter? those key items food banks are now struggling to provide?

I know PB laughs at “for everyone a free owl” but “for everyone a free egg” would be amazing right now. That’s my policy position.

A big part of the reason the markets blew up Truss was exactly because she effectively wrote a blanket cheque for 2 years with her energy policy with little detail of how it would be paid for (and even if they did show the proper funding for it, predicting energy markets 2 years down the line in this environment is a fouls errand)....

Hence why first thing the new management did was say its only 6 months (then a review).
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,829
    Would expect the Speaker to have something to say about this before the Chancellor is on his feet...... https://order-order.com/2022/11/17/what-to-expect-in-the-autumn-statement/ https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1593200310226653184/photo/1
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Nigelb said:

Similarly, universal free school meals.
    The benefit/cost ratio of that would be very high.
    Universal FSM is a subsidy of rich families by poor families.

I can see a case for extending it to all families on UC, but not beyond that.
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

Interesting development given how historically Israel has always fostered close diplomatic ties with Russia.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,962
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Israel don't want to hand over Iron Dome because they don't want a launcher being captured by Russia who will hand it over to Iran/Hezbollah.
  • novanova Posts: 525
    edited November 2022
    EPG said:

nova said:

EPG said:

Taz said:

A fairer distribution of migrants is looming with migrants due to be sent to small towns and rural areas.

This is excellent news. It is not right to keep dumping these vulnerable people in a handful of areas.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/asylum-seekers-to-be-sent-to-rural-areas-for-fairer-distribution-of-migrants/ar-AA14cNsv?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=25d075e11a9346289a19256cd1e9f0c5

I agree with this. Though I think that, based on what we are seeing in rural Lincolnshire, it is unfair to say that that distribution has not already been happening. Always room for more though.

There used to be a whole network of asylum centres and accommodation across England but, certainly in my area, a lot of it seems to have been shut down and replaced by hiring hotels. I am not sure why this was allowed to happen although there may have been good reasons.
    More likely austerity short term budget cuts leading to increased long term costs rather than good reasons. This is the biggest problem with the government of the last decade and the Sunak/Osborne ideology.
    Of course we needed the Labour alternative of no new taxes but lots more spending and hope to invest and grow your way out of deficit in the Future (tm). Aka Trussonomics.
    Trussonomics biggest issue was borrowing to cut taxes.

Borrowing to invest in green industries to encourage growth is completely different. It might not work, but it's definitely different to Truss, and borrowing to invest is pretty standard way that businesses grow, so hardly controversial.

Your aka would put just about anything except cuts into the Trussonomics box.
    No, I'm afraid there is not much difference at all. Bond investors don't think green is more moral than tax cuts. They just don't see how they can get paid back by a government running a permanent 8% deficit, unless the repayment is in funny money.

(There is one difference of course: it's easy to reverse a tax cut, like Hunt did, but once you've used debt to invest in capital that doesn't deliver a cash flow, you are permanently leveraged.)
    I doubt bond investors worry about the morality of any position.

Obviously we disagree - but borrowing to invest and borrowing to cut taxes are fundamentally different in my view, and I thought in the eyes of most people, but I guess you live and learn :)

I also disagree about the last point. Hunt was able to reverse a tax cut as it hadn't happened. Clearly you could also reverse an investment pledge before money had been spent. However, once you've cut the tax, you're not going to get that money back, unless you raise taxes - but then you could also raise taxes to pay off any money you've invested, so not sure where that difference is.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Driver said:

Nigelb said:

The point of universal FSM is to end the stigma around FSM as many families do not take up the offer despite being entitled as they don't want their child being tarred as a benefits scrounger.
  • Has everybody assumed the position and readied themselves for the (first of years of) shafting we are all going to get in 15 mins?
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,000

Nigelb said:

While I agree with your bet Mike, the New York Post doesn't even begin to compare in influence with the UK tabloids. Probably a sideshow in determining the nomination battle.

The one aspect I'm not sure of is twitter. Trump used twitter in the past to drive the media narrative. It was just too easy for journalists to write their next story by looking at his latest tweets and the reaction to them.

Not being on twitter makes him weaker, but by how much? And will he be back on twitter soon?
    He will be back if he's running; I would guess he and Musk have converging interests too.

Fox News will treat him brutally though.
  • This is the type of shithousery we can all applaud.

• Scott_xP said:

Would expect the Speaker to have something to say about this before the Chancellor is on his feet...... https://order-order.com/2022/11/17/what-to-expect-in-the-autumn-statement/ https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1593200310226653184/photo/1

I assume Hunts proposals have been sent to the opposition leaders so who knows who may have leaked it
    Alistair said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

The point of universal FSM is to end the stigma around FSM as many families do not take up the offer despite being entitled as they don't want their child being tarred as a benefits scrounger.
    You also get the benefit of eliminating a layer of paperwork and bureaucracy.
  • This is the type of shithousery we can all applaud.

Sledging ain't what it used to be.....
  • DougSeal said:

In other far right news, Conservative councillor joined fascist group “in the spirit of education and curiosity”. Indeed. What A-Level history veteran could fail to remember being encouraged to join Combat 18 as part of their authoritarianism in 20th Century Europe coursework?

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone/news/my-links-to-fascists-were-made-in-spirit-of-education-277255/

To be fair I tried to join the Ku Klux Klan because I wanted to know which soap detergent they used to get their sheets so brilliantly white.
    Be honest, you wanted to see if their heads were as pointy as their hats.
  • Scott_xP said:

I assume Hunts proposals have been sent to the opposition leaders so who knows who may have leaked it
    I didn't think they were distributed until just before the speech is given. That was why it was always a tough gig to answer on behalf of the Opposition.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833

Nigelb said:

Interesting development given how historically Israel has always fostered close diplomatic ties with Russia.
    Watching hundreds of missiles rain down on infrastructure targets changed their mind somewhat, especially when they saw that Iranian weapons were being used against Ukranian civilians.

Israel removing their objection to their technology being used in Ukraine, is one of the biggest developments of the past few weeks.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878

Alistair said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

You also get the benefit of eliminating a layer of paperwork and bureaucracy.
    Agree with those above - any benefit, payment or service that children get directly while in the company of their peers should be universal.

Caused some stigma at my school, particularly around things like DofE schemes. School uniforms too.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,215
    edited November 2022

Scott_xP said:

I didn't think they were distributed until just before the speech is given. That was why it was always a tough gig to answer on behalf of the Opposition.
    Indeed.

When David Cameron was LOTO he got given the budget book 10 minutes before the budget was delivered.

Prior to Gordon Brown the government gave the LOTO four copies, when Brown became Chancellor it was reduced to one.

Another pathetic smear from Big G.
    Alistair said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Sure, that's great in theory.

But imagine if a Tory government proposed it.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,000

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Similar to BJ, he sees himself - with good reason- as exceptional, and a precedent-smasher (if not a smashing president).

He's also a tyrannical bully who cannot face failure or rejection (at least Boris just about managed to read the room and withdrew from the last leadership election). I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ditched the GOP and ran as a third MAGA candidate.

Which would give the race to the Dems
    I don't think he cares. And genuinely, he likely believes he can shake things up and win regardless.
    Trump is a RINO so would not care if the Democrats won. Even in inevitable defeat, Trump's victory would be two-fold: he would have shown the Republicans they needed him, and likely become the best-placed ever third-party candidate.
    Exactly. And he can paint the two parties as the establishment which shackled him and were the real cause of his multiple failures to deliver. Thus making politics in the US yet more toxic.

I wouldn't even be surprised if he fostered some kind of arms-length paramilitary following.
  • ping said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

I think FSM make a lot of sense and are well worth investing in.

Both breakfast and lunch. Proper, quality, nutritious food. Screw the cost. It’s one of the very best uses of taxpayers money I can think of.
    Absolutely. And I don't think people know - or care - about the desperate state of so many kids in so many schools. Kids coming in hungry having had no breakfast. Who aren't on FSM but have neither money for lunch or a packup worth its name. Who are dirty.

Its very easy to blame parents. Blame councils. Blame teachers. Blame the kids themselves - as long as I don't have to pay for it. But in having such squalor we all pay for the impacts. Low attainment. Crime. Unemployment.

The right wing have weaponised misery - making voters ignorant and uncaring. Significant number of children not being in such desperate conditions used to be something that people were concerned about. We need to get back to basic morality - this isn't party politics this is right and wrong.
  • Some Tory MP on politics live has just blamed the Last Labour Government for the coming hate budget.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,473
    A model of modern bonkersness, typical of a pattern:

Twitter do something absurd and damaging to a decent individual.
    Lots of attempts to cure it by the victim achieve nothing.
    The victim feels (we all share this fear) that her actions involving an untrue apology to restore the situation may lead to further reputational damage.
    Not even the BBC, for all its power and influence can contact the media giant culprit.
    As soon as the BBC put it on the front page it is miraculously cured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63626769

• DougSeal said:

In other far right news, Conservative councillor joined fascist group “in the spirit of education and curiosity”. Indeed. What A-Level history veteran could fail to remember being encouraged to join Combat 18 as part of their authoritarianism in 20th Century Europe coursework?

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone/news/my-links-to-fascists-were-made-in-spirit-of-education-277255/

To be fair I tried to join the Ku Klux Klan because I wanted to know which soap detergent they used to get their sheets so brilliantly white.
    Busted.

DougSeal said:

Busted.
    Let's hope they're not still around in the year 3000.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,480

Taz said:

A positive step forward. Though I note that they quote that political giant Jonathan Gullis who angrily says Stoke is full of migrants. What he means - and what many local voters think - is that they ALL should be sent somewhere else.

Whilst sending asylum seekers to all parts of the country makes sense, it will not be an easy time for the poor sods being sent to places who already view outsiders with suspicion. And by "outsiders" I mean people "who weren't born here and will never understand here". A direct quote from the Mayor of Thornaby-on-Tees as an example of the parochial bigotry which blights this country.
    And yet for every gobby prick who pretends to be speaking for the locals, there will be ten people in the background just quietly getting on with making refugees welcome. We saw it locally with the Afghans who have been at one of the country hotels for the last year and there has been a very well supported effort to make them welcome and comfortable with people supplying all manner of gifts and essentials to make their lives as normal as possible. It rarely makes the news but I get the impression it is happening right across the country under the very noses of the bigots.
    I recommend the excellent film "Limbo" about a group of asylum seekers in an isolated part of rural Scotland. Both the grinding insensitivity of the bureaucracy and the kindness of strangers are well shown. One of the best British films of recent years.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9138170/

Scott_xP said:

Isn’t it that the LotO’s office formally gets a copy of the speech an hour before, but informally the whole damn thing ends up in a friendly newspaper overnight.

I’ll join those wanting the Speaker to take action against the Chancellor. Until there’s serious sanctions for not properly announcing these things first in Parliament, the constant media briefing will keep happening.
  • Driver said:

Alistair said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Sure, that's great in theory.

But imagine if a Tory government proposed it.
    Hold on, it was the coalition that introduced universal free school meals in the first place.

Or weren't they properly Tory?

(The other benefit of making school meals part of the free offer is that the logistics become much simpler because schools know that everyone will be eating them. Makes the sort of Family Lunch stuff that some of the government's favourite schools do much simpler.)
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191
    Where’s Liz?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,352
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:
    Assuming the audio is from in the car, it struck me as odd initially that there's no 'fuck!' or similar. Also no sudden veering of the car. A car in front, much closer, indicates (may already have been doing so pre-explosion, hard to see) before turning calmly off the road.

I guess it just shows how normalised this has become. Sometimes the road in front of you gets blown up. No biggie, know your alternative routes.

ETA: And barely a pause before the recording car is off again, also calmly taking a different route, no sudden speeding off, no screeching of tyres.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,052

Scott_xP said:

Autumn Statement: what to expect
    - Tax thresholds frozen to 27/8. 45p starts at £125k. Big energy windfall tax
    - Benefits + pensions lifted by inflation
    - Energy support cont. From Apr 23 typical HH bill capped at £3,000
    - £30bn spending cuts. Beyond 2024, cld rise by just 1% https://twitter.com/bethrigby/status/1592963710058123265

So a social democrat budget then.

Establishment capture of Rishi.
    Good evening

Rigby's speculation has been general knowledge and widely reported elsewhere for some days

I prefer to wait and listen to the real thing tomorrow where there will be much more detail but also the OBR report

I would be very surprised if the detail does not cause a major reevaluation for labour's plans
    What a surprise, Big G offers no judgment apart from that the news will be bad for Labour.

What a pathetic Tory stooge.
    Very belligerent there Walks. But also very wrong. Big G is right, opposition are powerless, the government have control of parliament and budget to shape and frame the political narratives.

If the Tories get positive headlines from this budget it can propel them to mid 30s in polling, right back in the mix to defend their majority. boosting popularity of Sunaks’ Government. As Hunt explained last weekend, not all in his budget will be bad news, with much support for the NHS and for social care; with promised help for the poorest too, these announcements can only be popular. What can produce further good headlines is where economists will praise government for avoiding pitfalls, and voters will see building towards a more prosperous future. And voters could fear a change of government tbtranpling the green shoots of recovery.

the “rabbit from the hat” today is don’t be surprised if Sunak and Hunt shoot Labours fox with a Property/Wealth Tax to meet rising bills due to ageing population - Jeremy Hunt has been at the forefront designing such a plan for many years.
    To help Big G out here with more concrete examples. Truss government missed an open goal how popular Hunt’s Windfall Tax on Energy and Banking profits will be with voters. Daily Express is spot on, how these tax rises are copy of what Lady Thatcher done when times were tough in the eighties - saying back then if households are struggling, those not struggling should pay a little bit more as we are all in this together. That popular move helped Maggie win the GE 2 years later. As someone said, bad for Labour their popular policies stolen.
    To be honest @Gardenwalker regularly snipes at my comments

I am no conservative stooge as has been demonstrated by many of my posts, but he seems unable to accept that Hunts statement is going to raise questions for labour as they are very likely to be in government when a lot of these announcements take full effect
    I think "raising questions for Labour" is the main aim of the exercise.
  • IanB2 said:

Where’s Liz?

Have either Boris or Liz stepped foot into the Commons chamber since they stopped being Prime Minister? Will they ever do so again?
  • High praise for the BoE.

Sunak's Premiership/Hunt's Chancellorship will primarily be about undoing the damage of the Special Fiscal Operation.
  • IanB2 said:

Where’s Liz?

Have either Boris or Liz stepped foot into the Commons chamber since they stopped being Prime Minister? Will they ever do so again?
    Boris made an appearance the other day and asked a question.
  • IanB2 said:

Where’s Liz?

Boris made an appearance the other day and asked a question.
    Good to hear! Wondered if he was frit or troughing it abroad again.
  • Gordon Brown style golden rules are back....

Scott_xP said:

Quite obvious that the government has leaked it so the markets don’t get any surprises.
    7.4% inflation next year is a lot of inflation to add to the current situation.
  • SOUND MONEY!
  • algarkirk said:

A model of modern bonkersness, typical of a pattern:

Twitter do something absurd and damaging to a decent individual.
    Lots of attempts to cure it by the victim achieve nothing.
    The victim feels (we all share this fear) that her actions involving an untrue apology to restore the situation may lead to further reputational damage.
    Not even the BBC, for all its power and influence can contact the media giant culprit.
    As soon as the BBC put it on the front page it is miraculously cured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63626769

But it also shows AI is no panacea in the near-impossible task of moderating large scale social media platforms, so often demanded by politicians.

7.4% inflation next year is a lot of inflation to add to the current situation.

He said 9% this year, 7% next year, 5% for 2024. That’s a slow glide path back to low inflation, and these forecasts tend to underestimate.
    As predicted, thresholds frozen to 2028 and the 45% tax comes in at just over £125k earnings. Dividend allowance cut to £1000 and then £500 in 2024. Capital gains allowances also phased lower. Electric vehicles pay vehicle tax from 2025
  • Hope you were all suitably lubed up
    edited November 2022
    IanB2 said:

As predicted, thresholds frozen to 2028 and the 45% tax comes in at just over £125k earnings. Dividend allowance cut to £1000 and then £500 in 2024. Capital gains allowances also phased lower. Electric vehicles pay vehicle tax from 2025

Capital gains allowances also phased lower is significant. £12k -> £3k in the next couple of years. That's serious shafting of middle classes.
    IanB2 said:

I assume the last bit eliminates zero tax on low emission ICE vehicles as well?
  • Driver said:

IanB2 said:

I assume the last bit eliminates zero tax on low emission ICE vehicles as well?
    Yes, but with the BIK protected so that it only increases by 1% a year.
    edited November 2022

IanB2 said:

Capital gains allowances also phased lower is significant. £12k -> £3k in the next couple of years. That's serious shafting of middle classes.
    Currently only about a quarter of a million pay CGT and most of it is paid by a couple of thousand of the super-rich. Hardly the middle classes. The average middle class investor has their investments in ISAs and SIPPs.

Some Tory MP on politics live has just blamed the Last Labour Government for the coming hate budget.

That's amazing if where we are is down to Labour after 12 years of the Conservatives in power.
  • Thinking of emigrating.

High taxing Brexit UK doesn't seem the appealing to me.

Gordon Brown style golden rules are back....

Somehow put me more in mind of Dua Lipa

Thinking of emigrating.

:waves from the land of no income tax, no capital gains tax, and no corporation tax:
  • Thinking of emigrating.

And only going to go higher when Labour get in in 2024.
    Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

:waves from the land of no income tax, no capital gains tax, and no corporation tax:
    Without which it would simply be an idiotic place to live?
    IanB2 said:

Presumably will be heartily cheered by the government benches and tabloids as much as the abolition of the 45% band was just a few short weeks ago...
    IanB2 said:

The government has a fiscal incentive to see high inflation persist. Not sure that's good for the country.
  • Defence spending at 3% GDP looks like a pipe dream then
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,557
    edited November 2022

ping said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Both breakfast and lunch. Proper, quality, nutritious food. Screw the cost. It’s one of the very best uses of taxpayers money I can think of.
    Absolutely. And I don't think people know - or care - about the desperate state of so many kids in so many schools. Kids coming in hungry having had no breakfast. Who aren't on FSM but have neither money for lunch or a packup worth its name. Who are dirty.

Its very easy to blame parents. Blame councils. Blame teachers. Blame the kids themselves - as long as I don't have to pay for it. But in having such squalor we all pay for the impacts. Low attainment. Crime. Unemployment.

The right wing have weaponised misery - making voters ignorant and uncaring. Significant number of children not being in such desperate conditions used to be something that people were concerned about. We need to get back to basic morality - this isn't party politics this is right and wrong.
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/schools/2022/nov/10/all

The issue is increasingly urgent - as more people go into poverty because of inflation and energy costs.

It also helps to socialise children in a way separate from their (very different) families.

Thinking of emigrating.

And only going to go higher when Labour get in in 2024.
    Notably many changes only come in after the next GE.

"Lord make me chaste, but not yet."
  • As an aside, Iran have quite the group. Great Satan, Little Satan, and Little Satan's Neighbour.

For what it's worth (not much), I've put tiny sums on Qatar to win at 3.55 and Wales to beat the USA at 3.15.

IanB2 said:

The government has a fiscal incentive to see high inflation persist. Not sure that's good for the country.
    Only so long as interest rates remain below inflation! Which is extremely helpful to governments (and indeed I predicted we’d arrive here a few years ago), but is only sustainable for a year or two.
    edited November 2022
    Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

No duty on alcohol, though. (Or so I imagine. Perhaps wrongly.)
  • kinabalu said:

Some Tory MP on politics live has just blamed the Last Labour Government for the coming hate budget.

That's amazing if where we are is down to Labour after 12 years of the Conservatives in power.
    And Mr Urquhart blaming them for the future too
    "And only going to go higher when Labour get in in 2024."
    edited November 2022

As an aside, Iran have quite the group. Great Satan, Little Satan, and Little Satan's Neighbour.

For what it's worth (not much), I've put tiny sums on Qatar to win at 3.55 and Wales to beat the USA at 3.15.

Neither looks likely to me.

Both Ecuador and USA are decent sides. I think USA will qualify from our group, quite possibly top. Iran quite strong too.
    If I were The Markets I'd ignore all measures to come in after the GE. They have the weight of a shadow budget from Ed Davey.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,078

This is the type of shithousery we can all applaud.

Sledging ain't what it used to be.....
    "How's your wife and my kids?"
    "The wife's fine, but the kids are retarded..."

"Why are you so fat?"
    "Every time I shag your wife, she gives me a biscuit"

And my favourite;

To James Ormond from Mark Waugh "There's no way your good enough to play for England."
    "Maybe not, but as least I'm the best player in my family"
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,813
    Been down to the police cordon apparently its 38c
  • Dr. Foxy, maybe. But I suspect Wales will. Anyway, we'll see soon enough.
    edited November 2022

kinabalu said:

You predict they won't be further raising Hunt's future timetable for tax increases? Brave.

e.g. I think things like that £3k allowance for CGT (and tax-free allowance for dividends) will be goner after Hunt's has already programmed reduction from £12k to £3k, its pretty easy to then just totally remove it.
    kinabalu said:

Brown. The Man. The Legend. The Legacy :wink:
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

At my local, it’s about £12 a pint. £9 in “happy” hour. You rationalise it by remembering the 40% income tax you’re not paying!

The local state-run offie has a 30% tax on it, but cheaper shops are an hour away in the next Emirate.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,662
    Well here’s one mystery solved

The Kerch bridge explosion. We had a stramash on PB about this. With quite a few people claiming it was done by a missile or a boat crew underneath

Some of us - including me - told them they were silly. And it was a truck bomb

The NYT has the verdict. It was a truck

• Been down to the police cordon apparently its 38c
    So it was just a storm in a C-cup?
    Carnyx said:

ping said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/schools/2022/nov/10/all

The issue is increasingly urgent - as more people go into poverty because of inflation and energy costs.

It also helps to socialise children in a way separate from their (very different) families.
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/nov/11/it-would-mean-so-much-parents-on-the-need-to-expand-free-school-meals

This is also worth reading - emphasising that the issue is noticeably affecting many more children now.
  • pingping Posts: 3,731
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

At my local, it’s about £12 a pint. £9 in “happy” hour. You rationalise it by remembering the 40% income tax you’re not paying!

The local state-run offie has a 30% tax on it, but cheaper shops are an hour away in the next Emirate.
    Can you brew your own?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878
    Leon said:

The Kerch bridge explosion. We had a stramash on PB about this. With quite a few people claiming it was done by a missile or a boat crew underneath

So the NYT is a solid source now?
    edited November 2022
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

£9-12 a drink, sounds like London prices....
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,078
    Leon said:

Suicide bomb? Remote driver?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,344

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

£9-12 a drink, sounds like London prices....
    Morning all.

Pint of what - champagne?
  • kinabalu said:

You predict they won't be further raising Hunt's future timetable for tax increases? Brave.

e.g. I think things like that £3k allowance for CGT (and tax-free allowance for dividends) will be goner after Hunt's has already programmed reduction from £12k to £3k, its pretty easy to then just totally remove it.
    Indeed. £3,000 for CGT. £500 for dividends. Let's just get rid of these allowances.
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

Are Emiraties and the lower class groups of immigrants still barred from the alcohol shops?
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    ping said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

I think FSMs make a lot of sense and are well worth investing in.

For everyone a free egg.
    ping said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

Can you brew your own?
    I have no intention of finding out what happens if you brew your own!
  • pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited November 2022
    On CGT, Hunt has been rather generous, leaving the rates unchanged and phasing in the reduced threshold.

Anyone with an accountant, or even, just a few brain cells, can avoid the worst of it.

He should have upped the headline rates and made it immediate, even though it would have cost me £££.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

kinabalu said:

Indeed. £3,000 for CGT. £500 for dividends. Let's just get rid of these allowances.
    All income is income. Treat it as such. Job done.

Leon said:

AI aliens released from a lab probably.
    edited November 2022
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

Are Emiraties and the lower class groups of immigrants still barred from the alcohol shops?
    Citizens and Muslim residents are banned from the shops, yes. There’s a $100 a year membership fee for other residents, linked to your ID card.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,662

Leon said:

Still uncertain. Arguments both ways

But very definitely a truck
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    To this end, he promises an extra £1.5bn funding for the Scottish government, 31.2bn for the Welsh government and £650m for the Northern Ireland executive

Seems like lots for Wales !
  • My friend who runs a Job Centre Plus reminds me that whilst Hunt might announce dolites will have to meet work coaches more regularly he hasn't announced any extra funding for more work coaches.

Every work coach already has a full diary and has no more slots for extra meetings with UC recipients.

Well of course! But the feckless workshy will be sanctioned for not attending. Its what they deserve.
This discussion has been closed.