Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump’s going to struggle if he thinks he can take on Murdoch – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Leon said:

Well here’s one mystery solved

The Kerch bridge explosion. We had a stramash on PB about this. With quite a few people claiming it was done by a missile or a boat crew underneath

Some of us - including me - told them they were silly. And it was a truck bomb

The NYT has the verdict. It was a truck

Oh you gullible fool.

You actually believe anything written in The New York Times?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    I now await apologies from the “it was a missile” mob and the “it was a boat” brigade
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Some Tory MP on politics live has just blamed the Last Labour Government for the coming hate budget.

You think Labour are blameless from this budget and potential housing and stock exchange crashes next year (or even next week)?

They are not.

Labour had two parliaments printing the fake money to get the country in this mess.

It’s not all Labours fault, but they share the blame.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited November 2022
    The key thing about CGT is the rates.

Reducing the allowances is just loose change.

If you sell a 2nd home or investment property what matters is the CGT rate. Whether 3k or 12k is tax free is peanuts.

I'm sure Labour will immediately equalise CGT and IT rates.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,084

Thinking of emigrating.

High taxing Brexit UK doesn't seem the appealing to me.

Presumably you would be emigrating to a country in the European Union? I am always amused by people who leave "because of Brexit", to go to other Anglophone countries that aren't part of political unions with neighbouring states.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Some Tory MP on politics live has just blamed the Last Labour Government for the coming hate budget.

You think Labour are blameless from this budget and potential housing and stock exchange crashes next year (or even next week)?

They are not.

Labour had two parliaments printing the fake money to get the country in this mess.

Yep but the Tories have had 12 years to fix things and they really haven't.

The idea that a Tory will be able to blame Labour for the mess they find themselves explaining when they stand for election in 2024 is just not going to work.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The Kerch bridge explosion. We had a stramash on PB about this. With quite a few people claiming it was done by a missile or a boat crew underneath

Suicide bomb? Remote driver?
    Still uncertain. Arguments both ways

But very definitely a truck
    Quite important to know surely? Are Ukranians likely to have deployed a suicide bomber?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2022
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

:waves from the land of no income tax, no capital gains tax, and no corporation tax:
    No duty on alcohol, though. (Or so I imagine. Perhaps wrongly.)
    At my local, it’s about £12 a pint. £9 in “happy” hour. You rationalise it by remembering the 40% income tax you’re not paying!

The local state-run offie has a 30% tax on it, but cheaper shops are an hour away in the next Emirate.
    £9-12 a drink, sounds like London prices....
    Morning all.

Pint of what - champagne?
    £8 (+15% service charge) for a run of the mill 330ml beer at places like Savoy and Harvey Nics Cafe. So not even a pint.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    MikeL said:

If you sell a 2nd home or investment property what matters is the CGT rate. Whether 3k or 12k is tax free is peanuts.

And the timing.

Accountants gonna be very for the next 4 months.

It’ll juice the govts books a bit, in the short term.

It’s not fair, though. He should have upped the rates and made it immediate.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,535
    Hunt is going to bring back a former Labour Health Secretary* to advise on improving NHS efficiency. That is a pretty damning verdict on the last 12 years of Tory Health Secs, including himself!

https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1593212574753255427?t=8bJMpnGI8jwDK_G0oaE1fw&s=19

*quite possible the worst Health Sec of my professional career too.
  • Options
    HS2 and NPR not getting cut. Its a radical idea, but investing in projects which deliver a return on investment is a Good Thing.

We need to drop the idiocy of "who will pay for it" and I'm glad he has resisted the idiots on the right saying "just fill the holes"
  • Options
    So where are the cuts actually coming then?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Hunt says we need to focus on energy efficiency

But still the Gov't is pocketing VAT from my solar battery investment !
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    WillG said:

Thinking of emigrating.

Presumably you would be emigrating to a country in the European Union? I am always amused by people who leave "because of Brexit", to go to other Anglophone countries that aren't part of political unions with neighbouring states.
    I wouldn’t do it myself, but it isn’t necessarily illogical - you might take the view that being an EU member was an upside of living in the UK, whereas the damage of Brexit has added to the downside, compared to which your alternative of moving the the US or Australia becomes relatively better.
  • Options
    Talk of a Silicon ValleyRoundabout is back again.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

A fairer distribution of migrants is looming with migrants due to be sent to small towns and rural areas.

This is excellent news. It is not right to keep dumping these vulnerable people in a handful of areas.

Every part of the nation needs to do its bit.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/asylum-seekers-to-be-sent-to-rural-areas-for-fairer-distribution-of-migrants/ar-AA14cNsv?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=25d075e11a9346289a19256cd1e9f0c5

A positive step forward. Though I note that they quote that political giant Jonathan Gullis who angrily says Stoke is full of migrants. What he means - and what many local voters think - is that they ALL should be sent somewhere else.

Whilst sending asylum seekers to all parts of the country makes sense, it will not be an easy time for the poor sods being sent to places who already view outsiders with suspicion. And by "outsiders" I mean people "who weren't born here and will never understand here". A direct quote from the Mayor of Thornaby-on-Tees as an example of the parochial bigotry which blights this country.
    And yet for every gobby prick who pretends to be speaking for the locals, there will be ten people in the background just quietly getting on with making refugees welcome. We saw it locally with the Afghans who have been at one of the country hotels for the last year and there has been a very well supported effort to make them welcome and comfortable with people supplying all manner of gifts and essentials to make their lives as normal as possible. It rarely makes the news but I get the impression it is happening right across the country under the very noses of the bigots.
    I recommend the excellent film "Limbo" about a group of asylum seekers in an isolated part of rural Scotland. Both the grinding insensitivity of the bureaucracy and the kindness of strangers are well shown. One of the best British films of recent years.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9138170/
    And I recommend you, and @Richard_Tyndall, for example looking at Alicia Kearn's facebook post about asylum seekers being housed in Scalford Hall (7 Nov).

Of the 82 comments I struggle to find any supportive ones.

Typical of the genre:

"Totally disgusting the public don't want this to happen so please don't say we do you don't speak for us anymore sooner conservative party is voted out the better."

I mean I know it's social media and I know that for those 82 there could easily by 820 people quietly getting on with welcoming them but it is a relatively significant response if one believes that whereas there may be 10 people per gobshite who disagree, there will be X people per gobshite who agree.
  • Options

Leon said:

Oh you gullible fool.

This follows a pattern. Something weird happens in Ukraine/Russia. Multiple theories float about, some apparently sown to provoke division and confusion in Moscow (or fear in Kyiv if they come from Russia)

Once the utility of the psy-ops is exhausted, the NYT quietly says what really happened. Cf the Darya Dugina bomb, which was initially blamed on renegade Russians, then the NYT belatedly revealed it was a Ukrainian attack

It was a truck
  • Options
    Leon said:

I now await apologies from the “it was a missile” mob and the “it was a boat” brigade

As others have said - you are very trusting of the NYT. Have you not seen their view of the UK?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    MikeL said:

Agree for 2nd homes, but matters when selling shares and will cause a hell of a lot of admin for small sales.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Thinking of emigrating.

I was thinking of Ireland.
  • Options
    Ester McVey won't be a happy bunny.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

As others have said - you are very trusting of the NYT. Have you not seen their view of the UK?
    They did a great bit on Sam Bankman Fried the other day...oh wait, it was total horseshit....
  • Options

HS2 and NPR not getting cut. Its a radical idea, but investing in projects which deliver a return on investment is a Good Thing.

We need to drop the idiocy of "who will pay for it" and I'm glad he has resisted the idiots on the right saying "just fill the holes"

I've always assumed that finding big projects employs lots of people, who then spend money. Is this not what the New Deal was in the 30's?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

Leon said:

Suicide bomb? Remote driver?
    Disposable asset would be the simplest way to do it and therefore the most likely.
  • Options
    Just on 12 years: it's worth noting the Coalition had to try and recover after the very severe recession. And since 2020 we've had the pandemic and ensuing economic consequences.

That's not to ignore the self-obsessed incompetence of Boris Johnson and other problems (Coalition was mostly good but the slashing of judicial system spending was shortsighted). But pretending or implying the Conservatives, including Coalition, started with a blank slate rather than inheriting a vast deficit and debt from Labour, or that the pandemic hasn't affected things massively, is not reasonable.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Oh you gullible fool.

This follows a pattern. Something weird happens in Ukraine/Russia. Multiple theories float about, some apparently sown to provoke division and confusion in Moscow (or fear in Kyiv if they come from Russia)

Once the utility of the psy-ops is exhausted, the NYT quietly says what really happened. Cf the Darya Dugina bomb, which was initially blamed on renegade Russians, then the NYT belatedly revealed it was a Ukrainian attack

It was a truck
    I'd need a stronger source than The New York Times.

Did you know this truck used what.three.words to position the optimum place to cause the most damage?
  • Options
    kjh said:

MikeL said:

Agree for 2nd homes, but matters when selling shares and will cause a hell of a lot of admin for small sales.
    As I said, most typical middle class investors have their investments in tax shelters. Those with large portfolios outside of an ISA or SIPP are the minority and can presumably afford it.
  • Options

Leon said:

The NYT’s reporting of the Ukraine war is exemplary, and puts most UK newspaper coverage to shame. But the NYT has more resources, of course
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,535
    kjh said:

MikeL said:

The key is to make like an MP, and change your primary residence to the second home, and sell your primary residence CGT free.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

Been down to the police cordon apparently its 38c
    So it was just a storm in a C-cup?
    Oh, so not a certain Tory politician trying to attract the Red Wall.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    Leon said:

While I don't think I expressed an opinion either way (all I've seen is a video, which is quite inconclusive) I'd want more direct evidence than 'the NYT says' to accept something. For example, a summary of the experts' analyses showing the damage is consistent with a bomb delivered from above the roadway in a truck and why it is inconsistent with other possible causes.

I'm sure such reports could be put into a fairly accessible format by a competent journalist - e.g. this bit bends this way, which wouldn't happen is explosion was here. Here are images from missile blasts, look how they differ etc.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Tbf this approach of not cutting capital projects is correct long term I think. There's more of an argument for power projects compared to rail now though imv.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Leon said:

The NYT piece does not afaics even address the possibility of a boat bomb - just a missile fired from a boat- and a truck bomb is assessed as "most likely".
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Leon said:

I still have no idea why they were all so fucking desperate for it not to be a truck.
  • Options

Been down to the police cordon apparently its 38c
    In November? Hotting up in Chesterfield! :wink:
  • Options
    eek said:

They are not.

Yep but the Tories have had 12 years to fix things and they really haven't.

The idea that a Tory will be able to blame Labour for the mess they find themselves explaining when they stand for election in 2024 is just not going to work.
    I’m not saying it will work, I’m just pointing out the true history not to be lost here. It was a twenty year economic mistake, and Labour were in for eight of them.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,106

WillG said:

Thinking of emigrating.

Kerry or Mayo?
  • Options

I've always assumed that finding big projects employs lots of people, who then spend money. Is this not what the New Deal was in the 30's?
    No.
    Prior to the 1980s we understood that investment on targeted capex delivers a return on investment.
    Post 1980s we understood that investing is stupid when you can flog it off and make a profit now as the middle man.
    Boris understood the old way - invest, build things people need, give people jobs and thus money to circulate through the economy and we all gain. The BR/Truss lunacy wanted to slash everything. They lasted 50 days.
  • Options
    £10.42 min living wage from April 2023
  • Options
    Security minister Tom Tugendhat banned from driving over phone use

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-63662624
  • Options
    Benefits rise with inflation
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Anything interesting? I've been in meetings all morning.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

England got smashed by Australia in the cricket.....
  • Options
    Triple lock stays
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited November 2022
    MaxPB said:

Triple lock kept.

In short you and I are going to pay more taxes for pensioners to live in luxury.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

I still have no idea why they were all so fucking desperate for it not to be a truck.
    Lot of truck enthusiasts on here who would be saddened by deliberate destruction? Just be grateful no one suggested it was the train :wink:
  • Options

So where are the cuts actually coming then?

From Labour after the next election. Big G was right about what today is really all about.

This budget kicks the cuts the country must make till after the next general election.

Those insults Big G got for predicting this before the speech don’t look so clever now do they.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Triple lock kept.

In short you and I are going to pay more taxes for pensioners to live in luxury.
    Sounds about right.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Me neither. It became some religion dispute. Quite bizarre!

The simplest, easiest, most obvious explanation was: a truck. It’s not exactly amazing it turned out to be: a truck

Why all the fuss?
  • Options

WillG said:

Thinking of emigrating.

Kerry or Mayo?
    Donegal, no wait, Dublin.
  • Options

No.
    Prior to the 1980s we understood that investment on targeted capex delivers a return on investment.
    Post 1980s we understood that investing is stupid when you can flog it off and make a profit now as the middle man.
    Boris understood the old way - invest, build things people need, give people jobs and thus money to circulate through the economy and we all gain. The BR/Truss lunacy wanted to slash everything. They lasted 50 days.
    What bit does the 'no' relate to?
  • Options
    We’ve reached the bit with the bass drum and cymbals…

Now Reeves to reply
  • Options
    Does this budget add up? They have flagged the mahoosive black hole from Loony Liz and Covid, but they're throwing vast buckets of cash at all and sundry. Yes, public services will crumble faster due to cuts, but he could have cut *everything* as demanded by BT/Trussite tories. And he hasn't.
  • Options

You obviously paid not attention to yesterdays PMQs. Taxes up to pay for HS2 is not universally popular in this Parliament.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    Foxy said:

Hunt is going to bring back a former Labour Health Secretary* to advise on improving NHS efficiency. That is a pretty damning verdict on the last 12 years of Tory Health Secs, including himself!

https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1593212574753255427?t=8bJMpnGI8jwDK_G0oaE1fw&s=19

*quite possible the worst Health Sec of my professional career too.

Alun Milburn was the worst in my 36 years in the NHS closely followed by Andrew Lansley
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Everything in line with what has been trailed. Patricia Hewitt appointed to conduct a review on improving NHS efficiency is the only thing worthy of an eyebrow raise.
  • Options

My understanding was that the New Deal did help stimulate economic activity but it was quite limited and had to be watered down after the failed attempt to pack the court. The real Keynesian stimulus was the war.
  • Options

No.
    The question "is this not what the New Deal was in the 30s?"
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,882
    Identifies that we have a major problem with people leaving the workforce so increases the state pension and working age benefits? Weird.
  • Options
    There’s a reasonable chance energy suppliers will start offering fixed deals below the new £3k cap, I recon.
  • Options
    From the NYT analysis

Rough estimates based on the size of the fireball indicate that there was a large quantity of explosives in the truck — at least a few tons, depending on the type of explosive, said Nick Glumac, an engineering professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Other blast experts said that a smaller charge, of a ton or less, might have been sufficient.

When the bomb went off, the downward force of the blast put tremendous pressure on the bridge’s girders, the steel beams that hold up the roadway. The blast was perfectly placed in the middle of a span, where it is most prone to flex under pressure, making the beams especially vulnerable.

Some images of the wreckage suggest that the truck exploded directly over one of those beams, which could also have ripped away part of the steel. They gave way, and the span buckled.

But the damage was far more extensive than that one spot. That’s because the roadway underneath the bomb was a continuous structure over five of the piers, covering about 900 feet, according to engineers.

The span overwhelmed by the explosion happened to be near the center of that stretch of road. When the span fell, it pulled the road toward it in both directions. The free ends of the road at the joints on either side slid off the piers on which they rested and fell toward the water.”
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Fiscal Conservatives can rejoice knowing the effects of paying higher tax and NI and cutting Public Services will mean that government debt will fall from from 97.6% of GDP in 2025-6 to 97.3% in 2027-8.
  • Options
    Question for my mouth-foaming Tory friends. Jeremy Hunt is a very good communicator and political operator. He isn't a risk to national security, or a bully, or a fondler.

Why on earth was he banished to the back benches for so long?
  • Options
    ping said:

There’s a reasonable chance energy suppliers will start offering fixed deals below the new £3k cap, I recon.

Why would they? Easy money to stick it at £3k and make huge profits.
  • Options

Question for my mouth-foaming Tory friends. Jeremy Hunt is a very good communicator and political operator. He isn't a risk to national security, or a bully, or a fondler.

Fair comment
  • Options
    Don't think keeping the triple lock is correct.
  • Options

No.
    The question "is this not what the New Deal was in the 30s?"
    So what was the new deal then? I thought capital spending projects such as the Hoover Dam were involved? Mt history is probably hazy on this!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    kjh said:

MikeL said:

But that's why Labour will keep a small CGT threshold - no point in generating admin on small transactions.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    IanB2 said:

Food inflation hurting the poorest is 16%. There needs to be an intervention on eggs and milk.

Where’s the free egg?
  • Options

Fiscal Conservatives can rejoice knowing the effects of paying higher tax and NI and cutting Public Services will mean that government debt will fall from from 97.6% of GDP in 2025-6 to 97.3% in 2027-8.

It is better than that, they can rejoice knowing that the effects of paying higher tax and NI and cutting Public Services will mean that optimistic projections of government debt will fall from from 97.6% of GDP in 2025-6 to 97.3% in 2027-8.
  • Options

He does have a potential China problem, if things hot up between the West & Xi.
  • Options

WillG said:

Thinking of emigrating.

Kerry or Mayo?
    Donegal, no wait, Dublin.
    There's a 5-bed house in the SW Dublin suburbs that the Irish government would probably be willing to sell to you at a discount if you want it.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

Is the answer "there was no vacancy because the front benches were full of national security risks, bullies, and fondlers, who weren't going to step down."
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,882
    MaxPB said:

ping said:

Why would they? Easy money to stick it at £3k and make huge profits.
    Because there are hundreds of thousands of households (Inc me) who moved from their fix to a variable for the first time, and would jump at a 12 month fix below the cap?

First mover advantage
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

MaxPB said:

Triple lock kept.

Muchísimas gracias! :smiley::wink:
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    IanB2 said:

kjh said:

MikeL said:

As I said, most typical middle class investors have their investments in tax shelters. Those with large portfolios outside of an ISA or SIPP are the minority and can presumably afford it.
    I wasn't thinking of the tax take, I was thinking of the admin. For the vast majority of people with small shareholdings they have had since privatisation CGT has been irrelevant. Most won't even do tax returns. It is madness to start bringing small shareholdings into CGT. It brings in next to nothing and causes masses of admin.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    edited November 2022

To be fair that was his choice. He was offered a Cabinet post by Johnson after he lost the leadership race but decided to return to the back benches. He said at the time he would only have stayed if he could have kept his job as FS.

https://www.politico.eu/article/jeremy-hunt-out-cabinet/
  • Options
    At first sight this looks to be a good and well-balanced budget, given the starting position.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

The only lock that is going to apply for a while is inflation... and I don't think you can realistically expect pensioners to take the hit on that at 11%.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    MikeL said:

kjh said:

MikeL said:

But that's why Labour will keep a small CGT threshold - no point in generating admin on small transactions.
    Probably more lucrative and less hassle for them to keep the current thresholds and unwrap isas etc, if they really want/need to raise revenue.
  • Options
    There’s no way anyone is going to cancel HS2. Last Sunday when out with my older daughter in Bucks I drove under a completed section of the track with cranes building more

It is ABSOLUTELY BLOODY ENORMOUS

Both me and the kiddo said “omg what’s that”?

It was so big, looming out of the autumn mist, it looked otherworldly. A vast alien structure landing on earth

It’s too far gone to cancel
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kjh said:

MikeL said:

More likely, they are the least well advised.
  • Options

Because the party went bonkers.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,000

HS2 has a boondogglish whiff, but I think we're beyond the sunk-cost-fallacy point where dropping it would be viable.

Northern English cities desperately need a better train service though, and have done for decades. I'm travelling across the Pennines regularly at the mo and it's a bloody nightmare.

The WCML under Avanti is dogshit too, but that's a separate thing.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Food inflation hurting the poorest is 16%. There needs to be an intervention on eggs and milk.
    No there doesn't. The government can't step in for everything and everyone. Even this level of intervention in the energy market is too much. Wages are rising at 10% for minimum wage workers and about 6-7% for everyone else. It's time to let the market dictate prices and people be responsible for their own spending again. The state clearly can't take on the burden and if we want to get inflation under control there will need to be a level of demand destruction, impossible to do that if the state intervenes and subsidises consumers and industry.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Thinking of emigrating.

:waves from the land of no income tax, no capital gains tax, and no corporation tax:
    No duty on alcohol, though. (Or so I imagine. Perhaps wrongly.)
    At my local, it’s about £12 a pint. £9 in “happy” hour. You rationalise it by remembering the 40% income tax you’re not paying!

The local state-run offie has a 30% tax on it, but cheaper shops are an hour away in the next Emirate.
    £9-12 a drink, sounds like London prices....
    Morning all.

Pint of what - champagne?
    £8 (+15% service charge) for a run of the mill 330ml beer at places like Savoy and Harvey Nics Cafe. So not even a pint.
    Hardly typical venues. I'm sure you could find similar prices in Manchester, Edinburgh and Leeds if you tried that hard.

Why don't you come down to London, it might surprise you on the upside?
  • Options
    Mr. Leon, you think they're building HS2 to Leeds?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,249
    edited November 2022

The most likely lock to be dropped is the link with earnings, so it would make no difference to this state pension increase in line with inflation. There is no political benefit and no cash saving to be made from dropping the triple lock at this time.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

At first sight this looks to be a good and well-balanced budget, given the starting position.

Yes. I thought Hunt was really very good. The best budget speech for ages. However the circumstances are awful and much of what Reeves is saying is correct. She's very good too.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Maybe they could poach it off the meat budget!
  • Options
    edited November 2022

To be fair that was his choice. He was offered a Cabinet post by Johnson after he lost the leadership race but decided to return to the back benches. He said at the time he would only have stayed if he could have kept his job as FS.

https://www.politico.eu/article/jeremy-hunt-out-cabinet/
    Also he got elected to Chair of the Health and Social Care Select Committee, so wasn't exactly sitting on the backbenches picking his nose (especially when COVID came around).

You could say the same on the other side for people like Yvette Cooper. She didn't get the call up from the sub bench for a year after Starmer took charge.

Its the silly game of internal politics that all parties play.
  • Options
    ping said:

MikeL said:

kjh said:

MikeL said:

Probably more lucrative and less hassle for them to keep the current thresholds and unwrap isas etc, if they really want/need to raise revenue.
    There's like 15m people with ISAs. Any government that fucks with them will be out of power for a generation.
  • Options

It was always going to be the case of wait for three days on this one though, as it’s going to be stuffed with stealth taxes - the question being how progressive or regressive are those stealth taxes.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    Reeves is great.

PM in the making.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

No there doesn't. The government can't step in for everything and everyone. Even this level of intervention in the energy market is too much. Wages are rising at 10% for minimum wage workers and about 6-7% for everyone else. It's time to let the market dictate prices and people be responsible for their own spending again. The state clearly can't take on the burden and if we want to get inflation under control there will need to be a level of demand destruction, impossible to do that if the state intervenes and subsidises consumers and industry.
    But people will literally die if everything isn't exactly the same as it was before.. where have you been?
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Leon said:

There’s no way anyone is going to cancel HS2. Last Sunday when out with my older daughter in Bucks I drove under a completed section of the track with cranes building more

It is ABSOLUTELY BLOODY ENORMOUS

Both me and the kiddo said “omg what’s that”?

It was so big, looming out of the autumn mist, it looked otherworldly. A vast alien structure landing on earth

It’s too far gone to cancel

Agreed. Anyone who says now to cancel doesn't live nearby. We live about 5 miles from the HS2 route in Bucks. If you go and stand on top of Coombe Hill in Bucks, right next to Chequers, you can see the line of building works scythe through the land. I think it was the wrong thing to do for a number of reasons but there is no point stopping it now.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I completely agree, given what is happening this is about as rational a response as you could hope for, though I still think the triple lock has to go when circumstances improve.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Triple lock kept.

Not you surely as you are emigrating
  • Options
    Will have a proper read through the OBR numbers after lunch. At first glance the inflation forecasts look too high, there's a glut of supply coming over the next two years so I don't see how inflation stays at elevated levels for that long. By mid 2024 we'll be talking about rate cuts because inflation is falling too fast.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Yes. I thought Hunt was really very good. The best budget speech for ages. However the circumstances are awful and much of what Reeves is saying is correct. She's very good too.
    She is. And what I think really resonates is that the Tories are having to take this action because of the lunacy of the Tories, as it did in the mid 90s.

Lets remember back. Ken Clark was a good chancellor (and a genuinely decent bloke working for another genuinely decent PM). And the Tories got eviscerated for the actions of his predecessor. It doesn't matter how gently Jeremy Hunt does this, he will be the fall guy.
This discussion has been closed.