Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

And so ends the Second Elizabethan age – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2022 in General
imageAnd so ends the Second Elizabethan age – politicalbetting.com

It is very hard not to be impressed by the sheer spectacle of today’s events with powerful images being beamed across the world. They certainly send a message out but I’m not so sure what that is and how it will be regarded.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    RIP
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited September 2022
    Are you suggesting an era is passing before our eyes?
    Yet few can't see it?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Is it even legal to bet on the current king's reigning period, I ask for no reason.
    The true marvel was that they managed to hold the ceremony without a pen getting near His Majesty. They are far more his nemisis than republicans.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Very, very classy event. God, we do this so well.

Although, they missed a trick. Should have had a single floral wreath of white roses on the coffin in the hearse saying:

"MA'AM"
    DavidL said:

Stunning display by the Church, the Royal family, the Military and by London. We will not see the like again.

Quite. Charles's funeral should deliberately undershoot this one.

Wonder what London Bridge is for him. Mornington Crescent?
    edited September 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

This website is pathetic sometimes.

We seem to be calling out a Russian troll despite the fact he's not said anything pro Russian, just that they hate the monarchy.

Is TSE a Russian troll?

No, he's being called out for being a Russian troll as he's a Russian troll.

Dozens of people here are anti-monarchy. The difference is, we're not Russian trolls.
    He has been called out as such by many posters on here and I do not recall anyone defending him until now
    This "Russian Troll" business for anybody who won't gargle Zelensky's balls is fucking pathetic and born of nauseating arrogance.
    Untrue - you are not in the slightest a russian troll and yet are extremely childish about him, calling him the disney prince and so on, as if that is better than overly lionising him. And you take a more hard headed approach to looking at the reporting of war news and propaganda too, being far more skeptical and cautious. Yet again, are no russian troll.

So your premise is utter bollocks.

Edit: FWIW, I don't think Dynamo is a russian troll, just contrarian.
    OK just cars now. Time to go and do something.
  • SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Phew
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    We have a head of state and a prime minister who both have no democratic legitimacy.

And dissent is heavily cracked down on.

This is an intolerable state of affairs
    Oh god the flowers

Suddenly a tiny bit tearful

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Stunning display by the Church, the Royal family, the Military and by London. We will not see the like again.

Poundbury Pallisade.
  • The carbon footprint for this journey must be huge.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    ping said:

We have a head of state and a prime minister who both have no democratic legitimacy.

Yep, its fierce. You might even be risking an off topic. Tsk.
  • This website is pathetic sometimes.

We seem to be calling out a Russian troll despite the fact he's not said anything pro Russian, just that they hate the monarchy.

Is TSE a Russian troll?

Dozens of people here are anti-monarchy. The difference is, we're not Russian trolls.
    He's a Russian troll, how?

He doesn't seem to be saying anything more than what I've said.
    Perhaps you were away on one of your regenerations when Dynamo was posting it. He IS a troll. Not a very subtle one.
    I haven't noticed it but you tend to be pretty level-headed so alright then I concede.
  • Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Is TSE a Russian troll?

Could we have a separate grouping of people who would vote for a Republic if given the option, but don't think it's worth the energy and political carnage to actually have a referendum?
    That's literally where I am
    Not really - you seem to really care about it.

I'm just enjoying the spectacle, the music and - most especially - the history.

I have so much Wikipedia to get through.
    As I said, exactly where I am.
    My god the crowds
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Didn't watch it but the Irish Guards drill standard was "shit" according to an RM FB group who obsess over that sort of thing.
  • ping said:

And yet you post nonsense like that without consequence.

Try doing the same in other countries with heads of state and government with no democratic legitimacy where dissent is heavily cracked down upon.
    SeanT said:

My god the crowds

I think I spotted @Leon!
    Dura_Ace said:

Didn't watch it but the Irish Guards drill standard was "shit" according to an RM FB group who obsess over that sort of thing.

“Didn’t watch it but but but but but”

Twat
  • This website is pathetic sometimes.

Is TSE a Russian troll?

He has been called out as such by many posters on here and I do not recall anyone defending him until now
    Well no but you wouldn't defend him because he doesn't agree with your politics.

Just as you called me out for something and then didn't call somebody else out for the same thing, because they agree with what you think.

You're one of the most partisan posters here, you target people for political reasons.
    Many across this board call him out and so far you seem to be a lone voice supporting him

And there is nobody on this forum more tribal than yourself when it comes to politics
    Go on then, call out @MattW, he did politics during the funeral.

Yet silence from you, because he agrees with your politics.

You are pathetically partisan. I don't pretend.

You clearly were a Boy Scout or something in a past life, you do love to pretend to have authority where none exists. You're the definition of a Karen.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,274
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

My god the crowds

I think I spotted @Leon!
    Leons. Hundreds of them.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

I assume it will now be London Bridge, but before surely it would have been Severn Bridge.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Is TSE a Russian troll?

Well no but you wouldn't defend him because he doesn't agree with your politics.

Just as you called me out for something and then didn't call somebody else out for the same thing, because they agree with what you think.

You're one of the most partisan posters here, you target people for political reasons.
    Many across this board call him out and so far you seem to be a lone voice supporting him

And there is nobody on this forum more tribal than yourself when it comes to politics

You clearly were a Boy Scout or something in a past life, you do love to pretend to have authority where none exists. You're the definition of a Karen.
    Why did you have to revive this argument onto the new thread?
    SeanT said:

Oh god the flowers

Suddenly a tiny bit tearful

Autumn leaves as well. Very fitting.
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

My god the crowds

I think I spotted @Leon!
    I believe I saw @LadyG

This bit on the roads is actually the most moving of all. The ordinary people of Britain turning out for their queen. Unscripted. Unpredictable. Yet here they are

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

My god the crowds

I think I spotted @Leon!
    Leons. Hundreds of them.
    Now it's finished he'll need a quick knap.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Not quite sure how Charles is less legitimate than his mother was.
    And as for Truss, she is the elected leader of the party who have enough seats at Westminster to pass legislation.

As Gordon Brown had when he took over between elections.

We do not have a presidential system in the U.K.
  • Don't.

It's a reality I'm still struggling with.

So moved today.
  • RobD said:

Is TSE a Russian troll?

Because it needed closing off. I will not have Big G doing his usual last word nonsense.

Now we can put it to bed.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited September 2022
    It was a marvellous tribute, both the funeral and procession, to a great woman who was respected in the UK and across the world for her dignity and service as our head of state.

However it was also the last ceremony in Britain which will likely ever be a truly global event and final act of imperial Britain reflecting the Queen being the last monarch of the British Empire.

Charles and William's and indeed George's coronations and funerals will be big events but they will not be on this scale

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

My god the crowds

I think I spotted @Leon!
    Leons. Hundreds of them.
    Now it's finished he'll need a quick knap.
    This is his worst nightmare: after the Funeral, you hold a Woke.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,831
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Weird to think that almost imminently, if not already, plans are being laid for London Bridge 2

RobD said:

Is TSE a Russian troll?

Because it needed closing off. I will not have Big G doing his usual last word nonsense.

Seriously? I thought the whole point of this board was to interact with people, not to reply to them and expect no reply.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Is TSE a Russian troll?

Matt's was a pro-Brexit post. It passed the smell test.

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Weird to think that almost imminently, if not already, plans are being laid for London Bridge 2
    How hard can that be? Opens word doc, changes title from London Bridge to London Bridge 2 and close word doc.
    Done.
  • So, CoL, any plans yet Liz? Even the energy companies now want a windfall tax.

Your tax cut will help poor people with 37p more a month.
    SeanT said:

My god the crowds

I suppose you get to see The Queen's coffin by standing for 30 mins on the Kensington Road rather than queuing for 8 hours. If I was in west London, I'd do it myself, despite being a mild republican. Moment in history and all that.
    SeanT said:

My god the crowds

Reminds me of Diana's cortege now with the crowds lining the route back to Windsor whereever you look
    What pillock had a helicopter for overhead footage making that awful noise when they could have used a drone?
    edited September 2022

So, CoL, any plans yet Liz? Even the energy companies now want a windfall tax.

If the energy companies want it, surely it's a bad thing?
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Isle of Islay.

ydoethur said:

What pillock had a helicopter for overhead footage making that awful noise when they could have used a drone?

The helicopter, in fairness, was what let us know that the cars were getting close when she was on her way to Edinburgh.
  • ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

I assume it will now be London Bridge, but before surely it would have been Severn Bridge.
    And William would be a Bridge over Troubled Water???
  • ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

As a fan of The Archers, perhaps 'Am bridge'.

*gets coat
    ping said:

No, we have a PM who leads a party of government which won a landslide majority at the last general election.

We also have a King who is a constitutional monarch and let us not remember the republican Corbyn was trounced at the 2019 general election too. Now both Truss and Starmer as well as Davey have proclaimed their support for Charles as King
  • RobD said:

Why's that?

RobD said:

Why's that?
    A bit of cynicism about their motives I’d imagine.
  • ping said:

At least we are not a Banana Republic because we have a King!

RobD said:

Why's that?
    I recall a criticism of the current plan was that it had the backing of the energy companies!

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Tay Bridge, like his great-grandmother, would make sense. Or perhaps Menai Bridge or Britannia Bridge.
    ITV just casually said “a thousand years of this monarchy”

Phenomenal
  • I thought I saw that too:

Boris and Carrie Johnston barging past Theresa and Phillip May, only to be stopped by officials and made to obey the correct order of process. And now he's in full sulk

https://twitter.com/Cromwell606/status/1571791631472365569

They want an extension of the already existing.windfall tax and no price cap freeze/wholeasle cost manipulation because they want to continue profiteering which would cripple everyone except them.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Yes, got a lump.

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

It won't be the same, today's event was epic both here and globally.

Charles' funeral will likely be not much grander than that for the King of Sweden or the King of Spain
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

RobD said:

Why's that?
    Precisely the same cynicism that CHB would be showing if they weren't agreeing with Sir Keir.
    SeanT said:

Phenomenal

Although some of the links are tenuous in the extreme. Henry the 7th for one.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703
    That was all rather impressive and somewhat moving.

The pictures in HD were excellent. The service was excellent. Liz Truss did a great job. Welby could have droned on a little less but that aside, excellent.
    edited September 2022
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

My god the crowds

I think I spotted @Leon!
    I believe I saw @LadyG

This bit on the roads is actually the most moving of all. The ordinary people of Britain turning out for their queen. Unscripted. Unpredictable. Yet here they are
    The pipers as the walked the coffin from Westminster Hall to the Abbey. That was emotional.

There's something about the bagpipes: wistful, evocative, sad and yet inspiring.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Since it’s a Charles, I hope it’s not operation ‘Cromwell Road’
    Driver said:

RobD said:

Why's that?
    Precisely the same cynicism that CHB would be showing if they weren't agreeing with Sir Keir.
    I have no idea what the energy companies said, but it's obvious they aren't an impartial source of commentary on the proposals. Especially if they are going to lose out significantly.
  • kinabalu said:

Yes, got a lump.

See your doctor. You never know.
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Charles' funeral will likely be not much grander than that for the King of Sweden or the King of Spain
    It will be far grander than those, albeit not as grand perhaps as this one. He will likely still be king of many realms and Britain still a major power
    And the river Thames

Sweet Thames, run softly

SeanT said:

Phenomenal

Although some of the links are tenuous in the extreme. Henry the 7th for one.
    He was married to the sister of, and closest living heir to, the previous rightful king.
  • So I got called out for doxxing yesterday but Sean just doxxed himself, welcome back Sean, erh LadyG, erh Leon
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

Is TSE a Russian troll?

Seriously? I thought the whole point of this board was to interact with people, not to reply to them and expect no reply.
    Let him have his final say as there are far bigger things to celebrate today
  • Mr. Tubbs, wasn't Henry VII linked via the Beauforts, though?

I mean, if William the Bastard counts it seems churlish to criticise Henry VII's royal links.
    edited September 2022
    Taz said:

The pictures in HD were excellent. The service was excellent. Liz Truss did a great job. Welby could have droned on a little less but that aside, excellent.

Service was excellent, Welby pitched it just right, Baroness Scotland read very movingly, Truss did ok but no better than any of us would have done - a bit mechanical tbh but understandable given the situation.
    edited September 2022
    Taz said:

Caitlin Moran was dissing Truss within a few seconds of her reading. Because 'edgy'
    edited September 2022

So I got called out for doxxing yesterday but Sean just doxxed himself, welcome back Sean, erh LadyG, erh Leon

Huh? Those aren't the same thing. Unless you are saying people can't say who they are?

Taz said:

Caitlin Moran was dissing Truss within a few seconds of her reading. Because 'edgy'
    Moran is utterly ghastly
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

How hard can that be? Opens word doc, changes title from London Bridge to London Bridge 2 and close word doc.
    Done.
    Delete a lot of paragraphs first please.
    edited September 2022

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

It will be far grander than those, albeit not as grand perhaps as this one. He will likely still be king of many realms and Britain still a major power
    It won't be that much grander. Globally Charles will be King of far less realms than the Queen was when she was crowned and that is assuming no more get their own heads of state.

Britain is now only a midrank power, we were top 3 in 1953 when the Queen had her coronation. The Queen also reigned for 70 years and therefore also had a huge legacy, Charles will reign for 10 to 20 years at most
    edited September 2022

Taz said:

Eye of the beholder and all that. As I said it was ok but that is all. Blair's reading at Diana's funeral, now that was impressive.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869
    edited September 2022
    FPT
    HYUFD said:

@HYUFD said “It was a marvellous tribute, both the funeral and procession, to a great woman who was respected in the UK and across the world for her dignity and service as our head of state.

However it was also the last ceremony in Britain which will likely ever be a truly global event and final act of imperial Britain reflecting the Queen being the last monarch of the British Empire.”

Charles and William's and indeed George's coronations and funerals will be big events but they will not be on this scale

• ydoethur said:

Almost all drones are currently banned over central London and out to Windsor. The CAA sent out a national notification a couple of days ago.
    edited September 2022
    kinabalu said:

Yes, got a lump.

Deleted. Beaten to it.

Mr. Tubbs, wasn't Henry VII linked via the Beauforts, though?

I mean, if William the Bastard counts it seems churlish to criticise Henry VII's royal links.

The Beauforts do make exceptionally good cheese too. (Though that may be unrelated, I guess.)
    Oops. Alan Titchmarsh just called Charles "the Prince of Wales".
    The flowers

Apparently some random woman in Yorkshire who works in dairy business would now be queen if the entirely legal stipulations in Henry VIII's will regarding succession had been observed.
  • ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Menai Bridge when he was Prince of Wales
    QM was Tay Bridge, Philip was Forth Bridge.

Taz said:

Service was excellent, Welby pitched it just right, Baroness Scotland read very movingly, Truss did ok but no better than any of us would have done - a bit mechanical tbh but understandable given the situation.
    I keep forgetting Liz Truss is actually PM. Fucking amazing really when you think about it.

ydoethur said:

Almost all drones are currently banned over central London and out to Windsor. The CAA sent out a national notification a couple of days ago.
    TV crews have permission surely?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

It won't be that much grander. Globally Charles will be King of far less realms than the Queen was when she was crowned and that is assuming no more get their own heads of state.

Britain is also now only a midrank power, we were top 3 in 1953 when the Queen had her coronation. The Queen also reigned for 70 years and therefore also had a huge legacy, Charles will reign for 10 to 20 years at most
    Yes it won't be as grand, but it will still be a grand affair.
    Dura_Ace said:

Apparently some random woman in Yorkshire who works in dairy business would now be queen if the entirely legal stipulations in Henry VIII's will regarding succession had been observed.
    I am still rooting for Simon Durante-Day.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,140
    RobD said:

So I got called out for doxxing yesterday but Sean just doxxed himself, welcome back Sean, erh LadyG, erh Leon

Huh? Those aren't the same thing. Unless you are saying people can't say who they are?
    Obviously self-declaring as trans at least twice. Very woke.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Tay Bridge, like his great-grandmother, would make sense. Or perhaps Menai Bridge or Britannia Bridge.
    The Tay Bridge collapsed and killed lots of people. William McGonagle immortalised it in verse worthy of SeanT
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited September 2022
    Brent down to $88.59, despite production cuts.

Ominous sign for the global economy.
  • I thought I saw that too:

Boris and Carrie Johnston barging past Theresa and Phillip May, only to be stopped by officials and made to obey the correct order of process. And now he's in full sulk

https://twitter.com/Cromwell606/status/1571791631472365569

Looks like all three former PM's and spouses there are being asked to wait.

ydoethur said:

TV crews have permission surely?
    The NOTAM was posted earlier, it said exceptions had to be granted by the Met. Presumably they said TV choppers OK, drones not.
  • Taz said:

I think that is a wee bit of an exaggeration

The reading of scripture in front of a world-wide audience would have tested most
    Dunno who is on ITV but they are far better than BBC

“Hope is the alchemy that turns a life around”

Superb line. Just thrown out there
    SeanT said:

Taz said:

Moran is utterly ghastly
    She thought she was being really funny. Utterly pointless. Its a fucking reading from the bible at a funeral, not an Oscar acceptance speech
This discussion has been closed.