Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so ends the Second Elizabethan age – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    Dura_Ace said:

Didn't watch it but the Irish Guards drill standard was "shit" according to an RM FB group who obsess over that sort of thing.

What did they think of the dabtoe matelots? Did the latter get enough brutalization at Excellent?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Stunning display by the Church, the Royal family, the Military and by London. We will not see the like again.

Quite. Charles's funeral should deliberately undershoot this one.

Wonder what London Bridge is for him. Mornington Crescent?
    I assume it will now be London Bridge, but before surely it would have been Severn Bridge.
    And William would be a Bridge over Troubled Water???
    Tay Bridge, like his great-grandmother, would make sense. Or perhaps Menai Bridge or Britannia Bridge.
    The Tay Bridge collapsed and killed lots of people. William McGonagle immortalised it in verse worthy of SeanT
    Only the first one!
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

I thought I saw that too:

Boris and Carrie Johnston barging past Theresa and Phillip May, only to be stopped by officials and made to obey the correct order of process. And now he's in full sulk

https://twitter.com/Cromwell606/status/1571791631472365569

Looks like all three former PM's and spouses there are being asked to wait.
    They came into the abbey in exactly the opposite order they processed down the aisle. Not sure why.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Stunning display by the Church, the Royal family, the Military and by London. We will not see the like again.

I assume it will now be London Bridge, but before surely it would have been Severn Bridge.
    Tay Bridge, like his great-grandmother, would make sense. Or perhaps Menai Bridge or Britannia Bridge.
    The Tay Bridge collapsed and killed lots of people. William McGonagle immortalised it in verse worthy of SeanT
    Only the first one!
    Garden Bridge? He does like plants.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    Getting a good picture of why infrastructure spending is so much higher in London than elsewhere. How much road do you need?!
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,980

FPT

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD said “It was a marvellous tribute, both the funeral and procession, to a great woman who was respected in the UK and across the world for her dignity and service as our head of state.

However it was also the last ceremony in Britain which will likely ever be a truly global event and final act of imperial Britain reflecting the Queen being the last monarch of the British Empire.”

Charles and William's and indeed George's coronations and funerals will be big events but they will not be on this scale

Sorry. Mucked up the copy and paste. What I tried to paste was: We have different powers now; soft powers. We should continue to develop them.
  • Options
    Cool boxes for the after party! And perfectly in step!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964
    How long does the post match analysis last?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Honestly, what is with the cool boxes? They aren't going to do her like Robert the Bruce are they?
  • Options
    Great spectacle, I started watching around 11:30am UK and kept it on for an hour or two while the kids ate breakfast.

I have to admit that the passing of the Elizabethan Age is a melancholy prospect.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Weird to think that almost imminently, if not already, plans are being laid for London Bridge 2
    It won't be the same, today's event was epic both here and globally.

Charles' funeral will likely be not much grander than that for the King of Sweden or the King of Spain
    It will be far grander than those, albeit not as grand perhaps as this one. He will likely still be king of many realms and Britain still a major power
    It won't be that much grander. Globally Charles will be King of far less realms than the Queen was when she was crowned and that is assuming no more get their own heads of state.

Britain is now only a midrank power, we were top 3 in 1953 when the Queen had her coronation. The Queen also reigned for 70 years and therefore also had a huge legacy, Charles will reign for 10 to 20 years at most
    I think Charles's coronation will be as big as this because:

- Britain does pageantry really well
    - It's great box office
    - It's a happy occasion

HIs funeral will be less grand maybe. The procession from the Abbey to Wellington Arch was too long imo. Buck House would have been plenty far enough.

One other thought: Thank God no 'incidents' took place. It never seems to amaze me how brilliant our security forces must be to stop any wackos, terrorists, or foreign agents wreaking havoc on such an obvious occasion.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,208

ydoethur said:

What pillock had a helicopter for overhead footage making that awful noise when they could have used a drone?

Almost all drones are currently banned over central London and out to Windsor. The CAA sent out a national notification a couple of days ago.
    In that case, I withdraw my slur on the broadcasting companies and transfer it to the CAA, who could surely have made an exception for broadcasters and the police.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited September 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Mr. Tubbs, wasn't Henry VII linked via the Beauforts, though?

I mean, if William the Bastard counts it seems churlish to criticise Henry VII's royal links.

Apparently some random woman in Yorkshire who works in dairy business would now be queen if the entirely legal stipulations in Henry VIII's will regarding succession had been observed.
    No, it would be Caroline Villiers the first daughter of the 9th Earl of Jersey or the 10th Earl of Jersey if we ignore the 'remarriage' stuff of his father
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

I mean, if William the Bastard counts it seems churlish to criticise Henry VII's royal links.

Apparently some random woman in Yorkshire who works in dairy business would now be queen if the entirely legal stipulations in Henry VIII's will regarding succession had been observed.
    This was brought up on here a couple of days but someone said it would be, I think, the Earl of Jersey.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Isn't there extra time to come at Windsor?
  • Options
    As observed on here - Macron has handled this well (more than we have done in response);

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/in-praise-of-france-s-tributes-to-the-queen
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    Hogarth's is quiet today
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277
    ping said:

Brent down to $88.59, despite production cuts.

Ominous sign for the global economy.

Good sign for inflation though. Similarly gas futures now under 300p/therm. Massive improvement on where we were a month ago.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Only the first one!
    He could really mess with people and use 'Pontcysyllte Aqueduct'. And it's in Wales...
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    dixiedean said:

This is half time.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

This was brought up on here a couple of days but someone said it would be, I think, the Earl of Jersey.
    Still a bovine link there.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

What pillock had a helicopter for overhead footage making that awful noise when they could have used a drone?

Almost all drones are currently banned over central London and out to Windsor. The CAA sent out a national notification a couple of days ago.
    TV crews have permission surely?
    Not sure. It is notable that all the overhead photos in London seem to come from a single source rather than each TV company having separate ones. With so many world leaders there I am not surprised by a blanket ban.
  • Options
    Live coverage goes on till 5 i think then its highlights etc until normal news resumes tomorrow morning
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Only the first one!
    Ok, verse worthy of the first SeanT.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Honestly, what is with the cool boxes? They aren't going to do her like Robert the Bruce are they?
    For the crown and orb?
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    edited September 2022
    I can’t imagine any present or even future head of state, anywhere on earth, getting this level of national and global love.

Who when where?

We are witnessing something absolutely unique
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Weird to think that almost imminently, if not already, plans are being laid for London Bridge 2

Charles' funeral will likely be not much grander than that for the King of Sweden or the King of Spain
    It will be far grander than those, albeit not as grand perhaps as this one. He will likely still be king of many realms and Britain still a major power
    It won't be that much grander. Globally Charles will be King of far less realms than the Queen was when she was crowned and that is assuming no more get their own heads of state.

Britain is now only a midrank power, we were top 3 in 1953 when the Queen had her coronation. The Queen also reigned for 70 years and therefore also had a huge legacy, Charles will reign for 10 to 20 years at most

- It's great box office
    - It's a happy occasion

HIs funeral will be less grand maybe. The procession from the Abbey to Wellington Arch was too long imo. Buck House would have been plenty far enough.

One other thought: Thank God no 'incidents' took place. It never seems to amaze me how brilliant our security forces must be to stop any wackos, terrorists, or foreign agents wreaking havoc on such an obvious occasion.
    It gave more opportunities for the public to see. But the units could have been closed up more to shorten the duration.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    It's ok my lump has subsided now. But let's see what happens with the Windsor bit. Amazing spectacle and well covered by the Beeb so far. One gaping hole in proceedings though. A person who really should have been part of it but was inexplicably missing. Whither the Witchell?
  • Options

Great spectacle, I started watching around 11:30am UK and kept it on for an hour or two while the kids ate breakfast.

I have to admit that the passing of the Elizabethan Age is a melancholy prospect.

Don't worry. The political Elizabethan Age is just being born.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Only the first one!
    He could really mess with people and use 'Pontcysyllte Aqueduct'. And it's in Wales...
    Pontcysyllte literally means 'connecting bridge' - which is a bit obvious because that's what most of them do.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

It was wooliedyed said that, but it isn't correct. The actual collateral heir of Katherine Grey is the Duke of Northumberland.
  • Options

I thought I saw that too:

Boris and Carrie Johnston barging past Theresa and Phillip May, only to be stopped by officials and made to obey the correct order of process. And now he's in full sulk

https://twitter.com/Cromwell606/status/1571791631472365569

Looks like all three former PM's and spouses there are being asked to wait.
    They came into the abbey in exactly the opposite order they processed down the aisle. Not sure why.
    I suppose they thought it was most recent first, and it was actually most senior first. Boris looked furious when walking to his seat, doing his 'Rochdale Pioneers avatar' face.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Only the first one!
    Pontcysyllte literally means 'connecting bridge' - which is a bit obvious because that's what most of them do.
    It does, but ironically the name derives from the village of Cysyllte next to it (which means effectively 'crossing').

So even though it means connecting bridge, that's not what it's called.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

It was wooliedyed said that, but it isn't correct. The actual collateral heir of Katherine Grey is the Duke of Northumberland.
    So we have 3 suggestions.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,980
    kinabalu said:

It's ok my lump has subsided now. But let's see what happens with the Windsor bit. Amazing spectacle and well covered by the Beeb so far. One gaping hole in proceedings though. A person who really should have been part of it but was inexplicably missing. Whither the Witchell?

Hopefully the obsequious one has been given immediate early retirement. By order of HMK?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

No, Katherine Grey's issue were declared illegitimate and her marriage annulled. If we ignore that, then yes
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,165

Taz said:

That was all rather impressive and somewhat moving.

The pictures in HD were excellent. The service was excellent. Liz Truss did a great job. Welby could have droned on a little less but that aside, excellent.

Caitlin Moran was dissing Truss within a few seconds of her reading. Because 'edgy'
    Got to get those cheap likes and retweets.
  • Options

One of the minor blessings of the Queen’s death is to blot out the hysterical trivia of Westminster.

Truss is an utter non-entity.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    kinabalu said:

Fergal Keane was perfect in the procession to the Abbey, just a couple of brief well-pitched comments.

Huw Edwards just couldn't help himself coming out with inanities. Funniest was when he explained how the gun carriage would stop under the Wellington Arch so that the transfer to the hearse would be sheltered... a few seconds before it passed under and beyond the arch.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Only the first one!
    It does, but ironically the name derives from the village of Cysyllte next to it (which means effectively 'crossing').

Ford Bridge is, however, called Ford Bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.6305238,-2.0987568,3a,75y,47.48h,84.37t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s4Vg0yeIADPaK_0YhpjAoKA!2e0!6shttps://streetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com/v1/thumbnail?panoid=4Vg0yeIADPaK_0YhpjAoKA&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&w=203&h=100&yaw=51.926674&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

No, Katherine Grey's issue were declared illegitimate and her marriage annulled. If we ignore that, then yes
    Well, if we ignore that we also have to ignore that Elizabeth was the nominated next sovereign, despite herself being declared illegitimate before Edward religitimated her, and the Succession Act gave her the right to nominate her own successor, which power either she or Cecil used to nominate James.

Rendering this whole discussion moot.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Fergal Keane was perfect in the procession to the Abbey, just a couple of brief well-pitched comments.

Huw Edwards just couldn't help himself coming out with inanities. Funniest was when he explained how the gun carriage would stop under the Wellington Arch so that the transfer to the hearse would be sheltered... a few seconds before it passed under and beyond the arch.
    Is\ he the chap who wrote Road of Bones, about Kohima and Imphal?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited September 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

- It's great box office
    - It's a happy occasion

The King's coronation is also going to be smaller than the Queen's and won't have as many heads of state or PMs as the Queen's funeral today. Beyond the Commonwealth realms it will be mainly fellow royals in attendance with other nations mostly just sending Ambassadors. The US will likely send VP Harris not President Biden.

Well done the security services today certainly
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,521

RobD said:

RobD said:

This website is pathetic sometimes.

We seem to be calling out a Russian troll despite the fact he's not said anything pro Russian, just that they hate the monarchy.

Is TSE a Russian troll?

No, he's being called out for being a Russian troll as he's a Russian troll.

Dozens of people here are anti-monarchy. The difference is, we're not Russian trolls.
    He has been called out as such by many posters on here and I do not recall anyone defending him until now
    Well no but you wouldn't defend him because he doesn't agree with your politics.

Just as you called me out for something and then didn't call somebody else out for the same thing, because they agree with what you think.

You're one of the most partisan posters here, you target people for political reasons.
    Many across this board call him out and so far you seem to be a lone voice supporting him

And there is nobody on this forum more tribal than yourself when it comes to politics
    Go on then, call out @MattW, he did politics during the funeral.

Yet silence from you, because he agrees with your politics.

You are pathetically partisan. I don't pretend.

You clearly were a Boy Scout or something in a past life, you do love to pretend to have authority where none exists. You're the definition of a Karen.
    Why did you have to revive this argument onto the new thread?
    Because it needed closing off. I will not have Big G doing his usual last word nonsense.

Now we can put it to bed.
    Seriously? I thought the whole point of this board was to interact with people, not to reply to them and expect no reply.
    Let him have his final say as there are far bigger things to celebrate today
    I thought I did politics before and after, and went out in between :smile: .

But quite happy to be the archetype.
  • Options
    And, still, the flowers
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Japanese Emperors don't usually attend Funerals inside Japan or outside of Japan.

Another sign of the respect Elizabeth II had globally that the Emperor and Empress attended.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Well, if we ignore that we also have to ignore that Elizabeth was the nominated next sovereign, despite herself being declared illegitimate before Edward religitimated her, and the Succession Act gave her the right to nominate her own successor, which power either she or Cecil used to nominate James.

No, the question of Henry's will comes into play in 1603, as that is the point of divergence, therefore the 'alternative line' springs from that moment and the situation at that time.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,746
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Only the first one!

Yes, there's a much older crossing over the Dee down in the bottom of the valley and the village on the ridge that overlooks it - Froncysyllte - probably predates the aqueduct. Walking the ODP a few years ago I was torn between the "official" route over the old bridge or the more exciting high-level option. I summoned my courage and took the latter.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Only the first one!

It's good that William Jessop (the son of my pseudonym) is getting more of his due for the design of Pontcysyllte Aqueduct than he used to. Telford rather 'stole' the fame...
  • Options
    Did we get a tally of how many people did The Queue? The real one, not the cheat one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Charles's time plus some William might be a bridge from post Imperial nostalgia to something more grounded and forward looking.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited September 2022

Did we get a tally of how many people did The Queue? The real one, not the cheat one.

Will be interesting to see estimates, definitely hundreds of thousands.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, according to Wiki. I have not read it, do you recommend?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,935
    There is a famous image from the funeral of King Geroge VI, the Three Queens in Mourning

I wonder if this is the equivalent

Stunning shot of Catherine, #PrincessofWales
    📸 Tim Goode / @PA
    #photography #QueenElizabethII #RoyalFamily https://twitter.com/BenJonesPicEd/status/1571800562039156737/photo/1

• Options

Aha

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

The pictures in HD were excellent. The service was excellent. Liz Truss did a great job. Welby could have droned on a little less but that aside, excellent.

Service was excellent, Welby pitched it just right, Baroness Scotland read very movingly, Truss did ok but no better than any of us would have done - a bit mechanical tbh but understandable given the situation.
    I keep forgetting Liz Truss is actually PM. Fucking amazing really when you think about it.
    Never forget pal. Never forget.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

And, still, the flowers

Did you hear from Leon? Did he make it to Westminster Hall? I hope so, I believe he needed the closure.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

No, the question of Henry's will comes into play in 1603, as that is the point of divergence, therefore the 'alternative line' springs from that moment and the situation at that time.
    His will didn't bind Elizabeth, under the terms of his own Succession Act. You might note it didn't bind Edward, who nominated Jane ahead of Mary, but there was the little matter of no popular support or conciliar unanimity as there was with James.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

Service was excellent, Welby pitched it just right, Baroness Scotland read very movingly, Truss did ok but no better than any of us would have done - a bit mechanical tbh but understandable given the situation.
    I keep forgetting Liz Truss is actually PM. Fucking amazing really when you think about it.
    Much like IDS becoming Tory leader after 9/11, Truss becoming PM and Tory leader was completely overshadowed by the Queen's death
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, according to Wiki. I have not read it, do you recommend?
    Some years back, and I can't remember the details, so I hesitate to guarantee. But my memory is that I liked it, and I kept it instead of putting it in the Oxfam bag, so it can't have been bad!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited September 2022
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Charles's time plus some William might be a bridge from post Imperial nostalgia to something more grounded and forward looking.
    I never quite understand what is meant by “more grounded and forward looking”.

The whole point of monarchy is pageantry and harking back to our ancestors and the misty foundations of Britain.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,851
    Afternoon all :)

An event, long in the planning, said planning meticulously executed down to the last minute, the last detail. The kind of thing we do so well (as do other countries when required) and almost take for granted.

The hint of night time rehearsals through the empty streets give some sense of the work involved by thousands of people each playing their part within the overall.

The obvious parallel, though none of us were around, is the funeral of Victoria in 1901. The assembling of world leaders, the gathering of Princes, Emperors, Kings symbolised the longevity and dominance of one woman - the heir, long waiting, now taking his turn at a time of personal loss and grief.

Given what followed, it's understandable some may be fearful or at least anxious of the uncertainty which the passing of such a symbol of continuity may engender.
  • Options
    Radio: an estimated 3.1 billion people tuned in.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Dunno who is on ITV but they are far better than BBC

“Hope is the alchemy that turns a life around”

Superb line. Just thrown out there

Christ..
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

Much like IDS becoming Tory leader after 9/11, Truss becoming PM and Tory leader was completely overshadowed by the Queen's death
    She will attempt to seize control of the narrative on Friday, but I rather think her chips are already cooked.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

There is a famous image from the funeral of King Geroge VI, the Three Queens in Mourning

I wonder if this is the equivalent

Stunning shot of Catherine, #PrincessofWales
    📸 Tim Goode / @PA
    #photography #QueenElizabethII #RoyalFamily https://twitter.com/BenJonesPicEd/status/1571800562039156737/photo/1

Er... no. Nowhere near.

Three Queens mourning their father, son, husband - versus one not yet queen looking respectfully somber at here grandmother-in-law's funeral. No comaprison.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277

What were the rest doing? Is there a football match somewhere?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

She will attempt to seize control of the narrative on Friday, but I rather think her chips are already cooked.
    On that culinary topic, news already coming back to life. (It's in the Graun front page as I don't want to offend anyone here.)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,521

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

- It's great box office
    - It's a happy occasion

I think the Coronation will be one to watch for symbolic changes that Charles makes. I don't see the imagery of the Orb as representing the Christian World persisting without a different nuance, for example. Especially given the statement to faith leaders we discussed the other day.

I wonder if that will have an emphasis / event added to begin a more collaborative reimagining of the Commonwealth.
  • Options
    I have seriously signed up to the conspiracy theory that the Queen chose to die in Scotland, and waited for Boris to fuck off first.
  • Options
    My brother believes Australia will be “on the road to republicanism” by the time of the next Australian election.

After that NZ will follow.

William and Kate need an extended period in the South Pacific.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Christ..
    It gets hits in Google Books, from the self-help book genre. Someone's been doing their research.

https://twitter.com/betterussell/status/1472935476311044100
  • Options

One of the minor blessings of the Queen’s death is to blot out the hysterical trivia of Westminster.

Truss is an utter non-entity.
    Ah, I see normal Party Politics have resumed and we can all start being nasty to each other again! :)
  • Options

That is more than were alive when she ascended the throne (2.6bn)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Huw has stayed with the BBC just for this, l understand. Be off to Hollywood now.

Looks like the mighty Dimbo has picked up the Windsor leg. Safe as houses choice.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

His will didn't bind Elizabeth, under the terms of his own Succession Act. You might note it didn't bind Edward, who nominated Jane ahead of Mary, but there was the little matter of no popular support or conciliar unanimity as there was with James.
    No, thats right. Henry's will set it as Edward, Mary, Elizabeth, and that is what occured. We know Elizabeth nominated James and history flowed from there so the entire discussion of the alternate line is what if she hadnt and they'd reverted to Henry's will for guidance - at that point, 1603, when Elizabeth dies without naming her heir, the situation would be Katherine Grey and kids had been made illegitimate by a legitimate law of a legitimate heir so we go according to Henry's will to the Stanleys.
    If we take Henry's will and disregard anything done by his legitimate heirs, the Grey line is followed after Elizabeth
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Sealed in the coffin with her as per her dying instructions.
    Having to listen to him while alive would be bad enough, spending a literal eternity in close physical proximity to him would be unbearable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

But Truss overshadowed Boris today despite his trying to barge into Westminster Abbey ahead of May.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Sealed in the coffin with her as per her dying instructions.
    I know it's hard to tell, but alive?
  • Options
    Order of Service for St George’s Chapel:

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1571856133727346691
  • Options
    I watched it on CNN.
    Quite a bit of commentary that would be considered “noddy” to Brits, but appropriately respectful.

Always moving to see NZ represented, behind the Mounties this time, by some army guy in a kakahu (Māori cloak).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

No, thats right. Henry's will set it as Edward, Mary, Elizabeth, and that is what occured. We know Elizabeth nominated James and history flowed from there so the entire discussion of the alternate line is what if she hadnt and they'd reverted to Henry's will for guidance - at that point, 1603, when Elizabeth dies without naming her heir, the situation would be Katherine Grey and kids had been made illegitimate by a legitimate law of a legitimate heir so we go according to Henry's will to the Stanleys.
    If we take Henry's will and disregard anything done by his legitimate heirs, the Grey line is followed after Elizabeth
    Which doesn't necessarily lead to the Earl of Jersey. It might easily have passed down the line of the Earl of Derby given female heirs were generally allowed in all default of male heirs. To take the most obvious example, Henry VII's claim, such as it was, came through his mother, but even though she was alive for all of his reign she was never queen. Ironically, she was made regent only after his death to oversee the transition to Henry VIII.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Today has been an amazing spectacle even the most cynical should accept and it has shown our country at its best

I expect it has benefitted the monarchy and the union

The coronation next year will be another spectacular event

It will but it will not be on this scale, certainly not globally. Nor on the scale of the Queen's own coronation in 1953.

She was truly our last imperial monarch. Charles, William and George will be monarchs more in the style of the Scandinavian, Dutch and Spanish monarchies
    Enough of your declinist drivel

Yes, the Empire has gone. It went 50 years ago, and probably not before time

And yet we still live in a remarkable country, which influences the world in innumerable ways, far and beyond military or economic power

Indeed: As the free world faces Putin and China my guess is that a nation like Great Britain will gain in symbolic power: as we embody incredible tradition plus ongoing freedom. As we see here

People admire Britain because we are free and fair. And ancient. Not because we have nuclear missiles. Learn this

We do but when the Queen came to the throne we were still just about a superpower alongside the US and USSR with Churchill as PM and we still had a large Empire.

Now we are a middle ranking power only, the only true global superpowers now are the USA still and China.

People also admire Sweden, Ireland, Canada etc but none of them are superpowers either
    No, the steam had gone out of it by then. In the 1930's arguably we were still a superpower, but WW2 finished us off.
    We were still certainly top 3 in the early 1950s, now we are not even if still top 10
    Not even top 10?

You sir are utterly ridiculous. There is no real list of top nations, but in any objective measurement normally we would feature quite rightly in the top 5, let alone the top 10.

Major powers now on the planet would be just 2 - USA and China, then the UK would feature near the top of other large powers alongside such nations as Germany, France and Japan.
  • Options

I have seriously signed up to the conspiracy theory that the Queen chose to die in Scotland, and waited for Boris to fuck off first.

The first, for sure. The second, hmmm

• Options

My brother believes Australia will be “on the road to republicanism” by the time of the next Australian election.

Actually 60% of Australians want to keep the monarchy in a new poll taken after the Queen's death and as Charles III became King.

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/a-resounding-majority-of-australians-want-to-retain-the-monarchy-rather-than-become-a-republic

NZ is culturally even closer to us than Australia
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Huw has stayed with the BBC just for this, l understand. Be off to Hollywood now.

Looks like the mighty Dimbo has picked up the Windsor leg. Safe as houses choice.
    Dimbo Minor talking nonsense on ITV too
  • Options

• Options

That is more than were alive when she ascended the throne (2.6bn)
    I love that stat.
  • Options
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

- It's great box office
    - It's a happy occasion

I think the Coronation will be one to watch for symbolic changes that Charles makes. I don't see the imagery of the Orb as representing the Christian World persisting without a different nuance, for example. Especially given the statement to faith leaders we discussed the other day.

I wonder if that will have an emphasis / event added to begin a more collaborative reimagining of the Commonwealth.
    Indeed, Charles will also likely be the last British monarch to head the Commonwealth. William has suggested he will not head it, it could be rotated amongst Commonwealth heads of state instead
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Christ..
    It gets hits in Google Books, from the self-help book genre. Someone's been doing their research.

It’s a good line. Sensibly reused if so
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022

SeanT said:

Christ..
    It has all the poetry of a Barry Manilow song.

Truly inspiring on this extraordinarily historic day :-)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Christ..

It’s a good line. Sensibly reused if so
    Yep, Heaney definitely couldn't* have come up with it.

*wouldn't
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Today has been an amazing spectacle even the most cynical should accept and it has shown our country at its best

It will but it will not be on this scale, certainly not globally. Nor on the scale of the Queen's own coronation in 1953.

She was truly our last imperial monarch. Charles, William and George will be monarchs more in the style of the Scandinavian, Dutch and Spanish monarchies

And yet we still live in a remarkable country, which influences the world in innumerable ways, far and beyond military or economic power

Indeed: As the free world faces Putin and China my guess is that a nation like Great Britain will gain in symbolic power: as we embody incredible tradition plus ongoing freedom. As we see here

People admire Britain because we are free and fair. And ancient. Not because we have nuclear missiles. Learn this

We do but when the Queen came to the throne we were still just about a superpower alongside the US and USSR with Churchill as PM and we still had a large Empire.

Now we are a middle ranking power only, the only true global superpowers now are the USA still and China.

People also admire Sweden, Ireland, Canada etc but none of them are superpowers either
    No, the steam had gone out of it by then. In the 1930's arguably we were still a superpower, but WW2 finished us off.
    We were still certainly top 3 in the early 1950s, now we are not even if still top 10
    Not even top 10?

You sir are utterly ridiculous. There is no real list of top nations, but in any objective measurement normally we would feature quite rightly in the top 5, let alone the top 10.

Major powers now on the planet would be just 2 - USA and China, then the UK would feature near the top of other large powers alongside such nations as Germany, France and Japan.
    I said we are not now top 3 now as we were in 1953 even if still top 10
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    HYUFD said:

Actually 60% of Australians want to keep the monarchy in a new poll taken after the Queen's death and as Charles III became King.

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/a-resounding-majority-of-australians-want-to-retain-the-monarchy-rather-than-become-a-republic

NZ is culturally even closer to us than Australia
    Not a representative time to take a poll though is it. Even the most hard hearted Republican can't help but be moved by the last few days events. Need to look at polls during more boring times in a few months time.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

yeah Kate would make a very good Ensign Nellie Forbush and I can see William as Lt Joe Cable.

OH....not that South Pacific....
  • Options
    Ukrainian music at the committal! How very dare the Royal family! They must all be closet Nazis or something.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    SeanT said:

The first, for sure. The second, hmmm

I believe she clung on to do the kissing hands one last time - not because of Boris, but just because it was her job.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Not even top 10?

We have this debate every six months on PB.

The UK is in the “Championship” along with France, Germany, Russia (yes, still), and newly-promoted India.

Japan was demoted to League One a while ago.
This discussion has been closed.