Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so ends the Second Elizabethan age – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SeanT said:

I want this to go on forever

I want the rest of time to be an endless ritual of funeral mourning for the Queen of England, which never quite ends, so that in 2065 she is “slowly proceeding up the great alt.mall of 3/Chengdu, accompanied by the robot pipers of Planet X/beta-55” and we never have to actually confront her actual death

Are you sure you are only drinking bubbly? You haven't popped a few Es to go with it by any chance?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

My brother believes Australia will be “on the road to republicanism” by the time of the next Australian election.

After that NZ will follow.

William and Kate need an extended period in the South Pacific.

Actually 60% of Australians want to keep the monarchy in a new poll taken after the Queen's death and as Charles III became King.

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/a-resounding-majority-of-australians-want-to-retain-the-monarchy-rather-than-become-a-republic

NZ is culturally even closer to us than Australia
    Not a representative time to take a poll though is it. Even the most hard hearted Republican can't help but be moved by the last few days events. Need to look at polls during more boring times in a few months time.
    Precisely.

At least in NZ, there’s no hostility toward the monarchy. It’s just that that the individuals are so profoundly British, and so obviously un-NZ.

I don’t know how you domesticate or repatriate the monarchy to make it more “NZ”, although I do believe that a little can go a long way.
    Are they? NZ is culturally closer to the UK than any other nation on earth
    So you keep saying, and it’s not untrue, but it is simply not the UK.

And it is even less UK-like than it was when I left the country in 2000.
    I would actually say NZ is culturally closer to England even than Ireland or maybe even Scotland
    Well, you’ve never been.
    So you are theorising.

I would argue it’s closer to Scotland than England, but closer of all to Australia of course.

Anyway the relevant dimension is “wanting to keep the monarchy”, and despite present polling there is now an clear nagging question of why a “foreigner” is Head of State.
    It isn't, Australia is probably closer to the US culturally than the UK now, New Zealand however is culturally still closer to the UK than US.

There is also the question of wokeism self hating the ancestry of Australians and New Zealanders, which the monarchy offers a chance for conservatives in both nations in particular to react against.

In Australia for example Coalition voters still clearly back the monarchy even if Green and Labor voters mostly don't
    This is like me telling you that Epping is full of Arabs.
    Having driven through Epping once, thirty years ago, I am an expert on the place. It’s full of cockney wide boys and small time gangsters.
    It isn't, certainly not gangsters, it is not actually in East London, though a few City wide boys maybe. However Epping and its surrounds also have plenty of farmers, Epping is the border between the part of Essex which is part culturally outer East London and the part of Essex that is more rural East Anglia proper (we move to the latter in December)
    No part of Essex is in East Anglia, strictly speaking.
    You don’t even know about your own neighbourhood.
    Quite. When i restore the kingdom i get Norfolk, Suffolk, the Isle of Ely and parts of Holland in Lincolnshure
    The Essex county council chamber has the names of the Essex Kings around its roof. There weren't very many of them, and mostly seemed to be called Seigbert.
    Although it's a while since I've been in the county council chamber!
    Yes, the name gives away the saxon/angle split
    Essex is a different beast to Anglia
    South Essex is, more rural North Essex isn't. Certainly before Londoners from the East End really started moving into South Essex after the War and new towns like Harlow and Basildon were created for them, Essex was culturally very much an East Anglia county
    No, it wasn’t.

Rural Essex’s cultural affinities were more with rural Hertfordshire and even rural Middlesex.

Of course, as a neighbour of East Anglia you would expect some similarities, but to neighbour is not the same thing as to actually be.
    Quite. He's ádmitted it with his assertion that English folk are more like Kiwis than they are to Scottish folk (whether this is actually true or not, he has abandoned the neighbourhood principle in so doing).
    More New Zealanders have English ancestry than that from any other nation, including Scotland
    Presumably the same for Australians?
    He's completely wrong anyway. England is the one with most English ancestry.
    I said New Zealand was the nation in the world most culturally similar to England, not that it was England!
    Surely Russia is the country culturally most similar to England. Delusions of grandeur, terrible weather, their neighbours all hate them, obsessed with WW2, good at parades, half the population are pissed most of the time... We even have folk on here threatening to invade an independent Scotland and eyeing up the border lands for annexation.
    Hardly, we have not just invaded Ireland have we, we are a far wealthier nation than Russia, Heads of State from all over the world have attended the Queen's funeral, most of them hate Putin and we don't have average -8 C or worse temperatures in January
    I'm only messing.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

SeanT said:

@Taz

As things stand CNN is doomed

Their best rated cable news show gets 700,000 viewers

So they can do one

My eyebrows lifted the other day when I saw CNN interviewing none other than Robert Cahaly, Head of RCS's favourite US polling firm, Trafalgar.

They even gave him the airspace to deny he was a republican shill.

Maybe times they are a-changing.
    @SeanT is right:

Cable news is dying.

People watch TikTok and YouTube.

The last great location it existed was the lobbies of expensive office buildings. But now people waiting in lobbies (and there are far fewer of them too) are on their phones: they're not staring at an expensive flat screens.

CNN is failing first. But even Fox News is getting killed. Back in 2014/2015, they used to get almost 5m viewers during primetime. Today, on a good day, it's more like 3.5m. And on some days they're floating with the 3m mark.
    I just looked at the AdWeek numbers: https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/week-of-sept-5-basic-cable-ranker-fox-news-remains-most-watched-in-total-day/514434/

Fox News "averaged 2.02 million total viewers in primetime this past week, -6% from the prior week".

Now that's pre-QEII. But the cable news sector is getting killed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

RobD said:

Here is a question for monarchy nerds. The Queen's crown and the King's are different shapes are they not? So do they take the best jewels and put them on Charlie's one, or does he have a completely different one?

I think they will use the same crown? St Edwards for the coronation, imperial for other state occasions.
    But doesn't a King's crown not have the dipped bit in the middle?
    Isn't that just heraldic style? Tudor crown vs. St Edwards.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    This chapel puts many cathedrals in the shade.
  • Options
    Oh, beautiful. The magnificence of the British choral tradition has been shown to the world through this service, amongst so much else.
  • Options
    Someone's checking no one has replaced the crown with a fake on its long journey.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

SeanT said:

@Taz

So they can do one

My eyebrows lifted the other day when I saw CNN interviewing none other than Robert Cahaly, Head of RCS's favourite US polling firm, Trafalgar.

@SeanT is right:

Cable news is dying.

The last great location it existed was the lobbies of expensive office buildings. But now people waiting in lobbies (and there are far fewer of them too) are on their phones: they're not staring at an expensive flat screens.

CNN is failing first. But even Fox News is getting killed. Back in 2014/2015, they used to get almost 5m viewers during primetime. Today, on a good day, it's more like 3.5m. And on some days they're floating with the 3m mark.
    I was fascinated to see the viewing figures of America’s top news anchors - posted on here I think - and see that they are rather small and actually smaller in some cases than British viewing figures.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

SeanT said:

@Taz

So they can do one

@SeanT is right:

Cable news is dying.

I just looked at the AdWeek numbers: https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/week-of-sept-5-basic-cable-ranker-fox-news-remains-most-watched-in-total-day/514434/

Fox News "averaged 2.02 million total viewers in primetime this past week, -6% from the prior week".

Tik/tok and Youtube don't generate their own news though, right? don't they sort of rely on sources like CNN and FOX for actual content?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    The cipher for the new King suggests his crown is a different shape to the Queen
  • Options

SeanT said:

I want the rest of time to be an endless ritual of funeral mourning for the Queen of England, which never quite ends, so that in 2065 she is “slowly proceeding up the great alt.mall of 3/Chengdu, accompanied by the robot pipers of Planet X/beta-55” and we never have to actually confront her actual death

Are you sure you are only drinking bubbly? You haven't popped a few Es to go with it by any chance?
    I don't see SeanT as an MDMA kind of guy. All that love for humanity in its amazing diversity flooding his synapses would be very disconcerting. Colombian marching powder on the other hand...
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,618

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

My brother believes Australia will be “on the road to republicanism” by the time of the next Australian election.

Actually 60% of Australians want to keep the monarchy in a new poll taken after the Queen's death and as Charles III became King.

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/a-resounding-majority-of-australians-want-to-retain-the-monarchy-rather-than-become-a-republic

Not a representative time to take a poll though is it. Even the most hard hearted Republican can't help but be moved by the last few days events. Need to look at polls during more boring times in a few months time.
    Precisely.

At least in NZ, there’s no hostility toward the monarchy. It’s just that that the individuals are so profoundly British, and so obviously un-NZ.

I don’t know how you domesticate or repatriate the monarchy to make it more “NZ”, although I do believe that a little can go a long way.

I would actually say NZ is culturally closer to England even than Ireland or maybe even Scotland
    Well, you’ve never been.
    So you are theorising.

I would argue it’s closer to Scotland than England, but closer of all to Australia of course.

Anyway the relevant dimension is “wanting to keep the monarchy”, and despite present polling there is now an clear nagging question of why a “foreigner” is Head of State.
    It isn't, Australia is probably closer to the US culturally than the UK now, New Zealand however is culturally still closer to the UK than US.

There is also the question of wokeism self hating the ancestry of Australians and New Zealanders, which the monarchy offers a chance for conservatives in both nations in particular to react against.

In Australia for example Coalition voters still clearly back the monarchy even if Green and Labor voters mostly don't
    Having driven through Epping once, thirty years ago, I am an expert on the place. It’s full of cockney wide boys and small time gangsters.
    It isn't, certainly not gangsters, it is not actually in East London, though a few City wide boys maybe. However Epping and its surrounds also have plenty of farmers, Epping is the border between the part of Essex which is part culturally outer East London and the part of Essex that is more rural East Anglia proper (we move to the latter in December)
    Quite. When i restore the kingdom i get Norfolk, Suffolk, the Isle of Ely and parts of Holland in Lincolnshure
    The Essex county council chamber has the names of the Essex Kings around its roof. There weren't very many of them, and mostly seemed to be called Seigbert.
    South Essex is, more rural North Essex isn't. Certainly before Londoners from the East End really started moving into South Essex after the War and new towns like Harlow and Basildon were created for them, Essex was culturally very much an East Anglia county
    No, it wasn’t.

Rural Essex’s cultural affinities were more with rural Hertfordshire and even rural Middlesex.

Of course, as a neighbour of East Anglia you would expect some similarities, but to neighbour is not the same thing as to actually be.
    Quite. He's ádmitted it with his assertion that English folk are more like Kiwis than they are to Scottish folk (whether this is actually true or not, he has abandoned the neighbourhood principle in so doing).
    More New Zealanders have English ancestry than that from any other nation, including
    Scotland
    I said New Zealand was the nation in the
    world most culturally similar to England, not that it was England!
    Surely Russia is the country culturally most similar to England. Delusions of grandeur, terrible weather, their neighbours all hate them, obsessed with WW2, good at parades, half the population are pissed most of the time... We even have folk on here threatening to invade an independent Scotland and eyeing
    up the border lands for annexation.
    We both seem to have a Russian Contakion of the Departed too.
  • Options

This chapel puts many cathedrals in the shade.

Same carpet as the Abbey...
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    Bloke counting the diamonds
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The cipher for the new King suggests his crown is a different shape to the Queen

Have we seen that yet? I thought the thing on his tie was from his grandfather.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,949
    SeanT said:

Chin up.

Charles is too old, but it is quite possible we hit the singularity in William's reign and he reigns, if not forever, then for hundreds of years, either kept alive by anti-ageing CRISPR based gene therapy, or alternatively as a brain-download in a shiny robot body.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    And now

THE KONTAKION

just an ancient kievan chant sung in a perfect 15th century perpendicular gothic chapel for the funeral of a dead 96 year old monarch descended from Alfred the Great

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

SeanT said:

@Taz

So they can do one

@SeanT is right:

Cable news is dying.

How did they even think CNN+ was a good idea or viable ?

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

On the whole New Zealand question, Mrs Stodge (who is of the Kiwi persuasion) gets offended when someone calls her Australian based on her accent. She did laugh once when someone on a cruise ship thought she was South African.

I've been to NZ just three times - my view is Auckland is a more Asian city than I expected while Christchurch was reassuringly British and it's probably true the South Island is closer culturally to the UK than the North which has not only more Asiatic influences but has the majority of both Maori and islanders.

Distance isn't everything - the time difference between NZ and Australia, Japan, Singapore and China makes it so much easier to conduct business and establish relationships than with the UK where we are currently 11 hours behind (to become 12 in a few days).

We are talking culturally the close links between the UK and NZ, even if economically NZ trades more with Asia and the UK trades more with Europe
    In time, the one will drive the other. It's no secret the Auckland property market is strongly influenced by demand from Asia - wealthy Chinese and Singaporean investors are moving into the city and its better suburbs.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    SeanT said:

National somewhat unity has a few more minutes to run then tomorrow will dawn grey, rancorous and shite
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

Seeing the Chapel of St George's at capacity I am just thinking of HMQ there on her own whilst Boris Johnson partied.

Boris Johnson hang you head in shame!

Weddings there are fun as the two families sit opposite each other.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

SeanT said:

@Taz

So they can do one

@SeanT is right:

Cable news is dying.

Tik/tok and Youtube don't generate their own news though, right? don't they sort of rely on sources like CNN and FOX for actual content?
    They are video versions of PB.

It used to be that people would read the Times or the Telegraph or the Washington Post to hear about what is going on in the world, and to read analysis. Instead they now read sites like PB, or watch video content online.

And that means there is a massively more diverse set of content providers.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    I am not allowed to turn to BBC because my wife is boycotting Dimbleby and Edwards. Has Keane been on again?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    SeanT said:

And now

THE KONTAKION

just an ancient kievan chant sung in a perfect 15th century perpendicular gothic chapel for the funeral of a dead 96 year old monarch descended from Alfred the Great

I've never heard it before but it is truly gorgeous.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Precisely.

Well, you’ve never been.
    So you are theorising.

No, it wasn’t.

More New Zealanders have English ancestry than that from any other nation, including Scotland
    I said New Zealand was the nation in the world most culturally similar to England, not that it was England!
    Surely Russia is the country culturally most similar to England. Delusions of grandeur, terrible weather, their neighbours all hate them, obsessed with WW2, good at parades, half the population are pissed most of the time... We even have folk on here threatening to invade an independent Scotland and eyeing up the border lands for annexation.
    Stands back.

But Russian literature surely better?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Here is a question for monarchy nerds. The Queen's crown and the King's are different shapes are they not? So do they take the best jewels and put them on Charlie's one, or does he have a completely different one?

I think they will use the same crown? St Edwards for the coronation, imperial for other state occasions.
    Just looked it up (there is a difference) caveat about source: https://www.difference101.com/king-crown-vs-queen-crown-what-is-the-difference-between-king-crown-and-queen-crown/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You'll do yourself a mischief.

• Options
    My first tear of the day. Feels more final now.
  • Options
    Poor kids have had a whole day of it.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179

I am not allowed to turn to BBC because my wife is boycotting Dimbleby and Edwards. Has Keane been on again?

Roy ?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    What went wrong with our builders that we still have these very old buildings as simply the best we have?

• Options

Roy, or the band?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Just looked it up (there is a difference) caveat about source: https://www.difference101.com/king-crown-vs-queen-crown-what-is-the-difference-between-king-crown-and-queen-crown/
    I don't think that's correct. The "queen" crown they are showing here is just a stylised version of St Edward's crown, one made for and worn by many male monarchs.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    SeanT said:

And now

THE KONTAKION

We are all descended from Alfred the Great (if we can trace back a few generations of UK born ancestors).
  • Options
    Omnium said:

What went wrong with our builders that we still have these very old buildings as simply the best we have?

These buildings were incredibly expensive for the time.
  • Options

My first tear of the day. Feels more final now.

It comes at you. When you least expect it.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    Omnium said:

Cost, for one. You want buildings built out of stone, like the good old days? Fine, but it’ll cost you.
  • Options
    SeanT will enjoy this reading
  • Options
    kjh said:

SeanT said:

And now

THE KONTAKION

We are all descended from Alfred the Great (if we can trace back a few generations of UK born ancestors).
    Are there as many people related to Alfred the Great as it seems met and have a nice story about the Queen.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    TOPPING said:

Seeing the Chapel of St George's at capacity I am just thinking of HMQ there on her own whilst Boris Johnson partied.

It's a poignant but bitter memory of HMQ alone in her grief whilst Downing Street partied like it was 1999. And there he is, the big fat lumox, party-goer in chief lauding it up at HMQ's funeral. For shame!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Concrete?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Concrete?
    Mind, the old ones are the ones that didn't fall down.
  • Options
    Being religious is just… better… isn’t it?

You can have all the fun you like. Then you go to heaven, probably

Atheists are wankers
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Concrete?
    Concrete was invented by the Romans, no?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    TOPPING said:

kjh said:

SeanT said:

And now

THE KONTAKION

Are there as many people related to Alfred the Great as it seems met and have a nice story about the Queen.
    Sadly I can't prove I am descended from Alfred the Great, only the odd Publican and I also haven't met the Queen, let alone have a nice story about it.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

TOPPING said:

It's a poignant but bitter memory of HMQ alone in her grief whilst Downing Street partied like it was 1999. And there he is, the big fat lumox, party-goer in chief lauding it up at HMQ's funeral. For shame!
    Indeed. It's shameful that there were restrictions on funerals.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

SeanT said:

@Taz

So they can do one

@SeanT is right:

Cable news is dying.

It used to be that people would read the Times or the Telegraph or the Washington Post to hear about what is going on in the world, and to read analysis. Instead they now read sites like PB, or watch video content online.

Yes I guess so. I was watching legal analysis of attempts by some US states (in this case Texas) to legislate against big social media censorship just this morning...

Talk about anorak.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

But which one is right? If I get that wrong, it's eternal damnation. That, or nothingness.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Roy ?
    He'd be less annoying than Edwards and Dimbleby, although more legs would be unnecessarily broken and careers ended during the commentary.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

Nah. Atheists get to enjoy all the good bits without having to believe all the bollocks that goes with it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Omnium said:

Yes. Nonetheless we were vastly richer for a period and still remain quite rich.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    RobD said:

Omnium said:

I read somewhere that someone estimated that each castle in the Ring of Steel in North Wales cost the equivalent of a Trident submarine!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Concrete?
    Cheap concrete, then.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Precisely.

Well, you’ve never been.
    So you are theorising.

No, it wasn’t.

Stands back.

But Russian literature surely better?
    'English lit might just shade it, unless of course you discount 'the Irish contribution'.
  • Options
    Trad version of Lord's prayer. Old folk will like that
  • Options
    Driver said:

TOPPING said:

...but not on Downing Street parties.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

But which one is right? If I get that wrong, it's eternal damnation. That, or nothingness.
    Just believe. Honestly. Make the leap

It’s much better on this side, where we believe. Faith is an incredible solace
  • Options

RobD said:

Omnium said:

I read somewhere that someone estimated that each castle in the Ring of Steel in North Wales cost the equivalent of a Trident submarine!
    They look better and they’ve lasted longer though.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

Just believe. Honestly. Make the leap

It’s much better on this side, where we believe. Faith is an incredible solace
    You should have been a missionary!
  • Options

Driver said:

TOPPING said:

...but not on Downing Street parties.
    The memory of those parties will hang around Johnson's neck for ever. Or at least until he dies!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Omnium said:

They look better and they’ve lasted longer though.
    Well Trident wasn't made to be seen. No comment on them lasting 800 years.
  • Options
    Driver said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

Nah. Atheists get to enjoy all the good bits without having to believe all the bollocks that goes with it.
    Good luck in your fetid corpse pit. I will be in heaven
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Some incredible footage of that long straight procession in Windsor from a bird's eye view , which both the Mail and Guardian have shown, and is more clearly like that jerkily majestic footage from 70 or 120 years ago than anything shown so far. Difficult to describe that as anything other than a very grand culmination.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Driver said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

That seems rather unlikely, doesn't it?
  • Options
    He was really making sure he held it tightly before letting go.
  • Options
    I think before the guy must have undoing the crown jewels travel bolts.
  • Options
    The Lord's Prayer was different between the two services. What, if any, is the religious significance?
  • Options
    Driver said:

SeanT said:

Driver said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

I am intent on a deathbed conversion to purity. Just gotta get the tricky timing right

• Options
    Driver said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

Atheism is fundamentally pessimistic. Unless one is a hell-and-damnation religious zealot, having faith is optimistic. It assumes redemption and life everlasting. That said, agnosticism is probably the most logical, as an atheist can no more disprove a deity than the devout can prove one.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

Islam has the best aesthetics, go for that.
  • Options
    Oh god they’re taking the crown off
  • Options
    Today has been compelling television viewing.

I am no Monarchist, but what an occasion.

Mates on ITV is perfectly measured in his commentary.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Oh god they’re taking the crown off

Prepare yourself for when the coffin is lowered.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

Pascal's Wager. Answer is easy.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Concrete?
    It was certainly used by the Romans and I undertand that some of their concrete recipes seem rather better than ours.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Symbols of earthly power being taken off the coffin
  • Options
    Things not to drop
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Removing the symbols of the crown .. very moving, deeply powerful. How poignant
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

On the whole New Zealand question, Mrs Stodge (who is of the Kiwi persuasion) gets offended when someone calls her Australian based on her accent. She did laugh once when someone on a cruise ship thought she was South African.

I've been to NZ just three times - my view is Auckland is a more Asian city than I expected while Christchurch was reassuringly British and it's probably true the South Island is closer culturally to the UK than the North which has not only more Asiatic influences but has the majority of both Maori and islanders.

Distance isn't everything - the time difference between NZ and Australia, Japan, Singapore and China makes it so much easier to conduct business and establish relationships than with the UK where we are currently 11 hours behind (to become 12 in a few days).

We are talking culturally the close links between the UK and NZ, even if economically NZ trades more with Asia and the UK trades more with Europe
    In time, the one will drive the other. It's no secret the Auckland property market is strongly influenced by demand from Asia - wealthy Chinese and Singaporean investors are moving into the city and its better suburbs.
    I doubt though either NZ or the UK will ever be majority non white.

The US maybe by 2050 but it has come with resurgent white nationalism from Trump

• Options
    Surprise appearance:

The Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Anne and Prince Andrew are seen following the Queen's coffin through the Norman Gate at Windsor Castle as the Scottish lament Flowers of the Forest is played.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1571882042907828225

Wonder if he’ll kick up a fuss if they try to inter him with the late Queen?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I despise Johnson as much as any man, but I thought he explicitly didn’t party when she was at the funeral, or the night before. He was away.
  • Options

Surprise appearance:

The Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Anne and Prince Andrew are seen following the Queen's coffin through the Norman Gate at Windsor Castle as the Scottish lament Flowers of the Forest is played.

Technically correct, Charles is DofE
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Things not to drop

Yeah its like Bradman edging one, Brian, something you just can't afford to drop...
  • Options

The Lord's Prayer was different between the two services. What, if any, is the religious significance?

Traditional and modern
  • Options

I despise Johnson as much as any man, but I thought he explicitly didn’t party when she was at the funeral, or the night before. He was away.

He was at Chequers. What do you imagine he was doing there...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

If you have all the fun you like, you may not make the cut…
  • Options
    Removing the crown, orb and sceptre.

The gravity of that moment. The quietest it's been in my household all day.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Driver said:

SeanT said:

Driver said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

I am intent on a deathbed conversion to purity. Just gotta get the tricky timing right

You should accept the consolamentum and become a Cathar perfectus
  • Options
    In all seriousness, this whole thing is the greatest advert for religious belief that I can conceive

As @Foxy pointed out, one reason she was so fulfilled and so long lived is because, this

Plus you get this ritual at the end. Who on earth would choose atheism?!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Dura_Ace said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

Islam has the best aesthetics, go for that.
    No it doesn't, Roman Catholic Christianity does
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Now she is once again Elizabeth Windsor, and she goes to her rest.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Surprise appearance:

Technically wrong, as on inheriting the crown you lose all the titles you previously held.
  • Options

Driver said:

SeanT said:

Atheists are wankers

Atheism is fundamentally pessimistic. Unless one is a hell-and-damnation religious zealot, having faith is optimistic. It assumes redemption and life everlasting. That said, agnosticism is probably the most logical, as an atheist can no more disprove a deity than the devout can prove one.
    Yes, indeed so. I erred in my self description - I think there's probably a god, or gods, or at least something that can't be explained by science - I'm just sure that no religion knows what it is either. Which makes me closer to agnostic than atheist, although proobbaly not strictly agnostic?

• Options

TOPPING said:

Partying somewhere else?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222
    Eabhal said:

Surprise appearance:

Actually, he was technically, but since he is now King the Dukedom has merged with the crown.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

SeanT said:

@Taz

So they can do one

@SeanT is right:

Cable news is dying.

Yes I guess so. I was watching legal analysis of attempts by some US states (in this case Texas) to legislate against big social media censorship just this morning...

Talk about anorak.
    I have some sympathy with the Texas law. But the bit I take umbrage with is that they seek to disallow firms from simply not serving Texas. That shouldn't be possible.

If I decide, I don't want to abide by the law by not selling my product to customers in Texas, that should be fine. It'd be like the EU mandating that everything a US company sold in the UK must be compliant with EU law.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

He didn't as far as we are aware. But that doesn't detract from the fact that he was complicit in allowing that one, and was an attendee of circa five others.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

He was at Chequers. What do you imagine he was doing there...
    No idea, but the stories have got mixed up.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    edited September 2022
    SeanT said:

In all seriousness, this whole thing is the greatest advert for religious belief that I can conceive

As @Foxy pointed out, one reason she was so fulfilled and so long lived is because, this

Plus you get this ritual at the end. Who on earth would choose atheism?!

I don't think you will be getting this sort of funeral Sean. I might turn up though if you predecease me. I will be like Scrooge was to Marley
This discussion has been closed.