Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The support of Tory MPs – Truss’s biggest challenge – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,221
    An Irish Airman Foresees His Death
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

Well, that comes as a complete surprise:

John Blackwood, Chief Executive of the Scottish Association of Landlords (SAL), responds to the rent freeze announcement

" I have been inundated by landlords saying they will be removing their vacant properties from the rental market, and I don’t blame them.”

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1567147873434755072

So basically this is a fabulous policy for existing tenants and leaves the rest more buggered than a reluctant Turkish conscript?

I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you.
    So, a central control policy that has the same effects that every other rent control policy has had. Everywhere in the world.

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ok this is a genuinely good one

What is the bizarre connection between this greasy spoon in west london and Vladimir Putin’s war in Ukraine

If you know the backstory you’ll get it straight away. If you don’t you will need clues

Nicht der google!

Ok, first guess, anything to do with polonium?
    Nope. Much more bizarre than that
    Did Zelensky act in something filmed there?
    That’s a clever guess. But no

But it is something strange like that. Except much stranger
    I am bored so I cheated. Still don't see the link but what amazes is me is that google can accurately identify the place and isn't fooled by changes of colour and writing in the awning. Just as impressive to me as the dall e stuff.
    You of all people should get this

I know the London end of the equation...
    ...and now the other one after more googling
    edited September 2022
    fair do’s it’s too hard. Here is the answer…
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    Leon said:

fair do’s it’s too hard. Here is the answer…

There isn't one?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

ydoethur said:

Well, that comes as a complete surprise:

John Blackwood, Chief Executive of the Scottish Association of Landlords (SAL), responds to the rent freeze announcement

" I have been inundated by landlords saying they will be removing their vacant properties from the rental market, and I don’t blame them.”

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1567147873434755072

So basically this is a fabulous policy for existing tenants and leaves the rest more buggered than a reluctant Turkish conscript?
    Up to a point, Lord Copper.

"Selling" is a valid reason for eviction.
    The policy is first order economic illiteracy.

• eekeek Posts: 24,797
    darkage said:

https://www.bigissue.com/news/cornwalls-second-homeowners-urged-to-donate-5-4million-in-energy-rebates/

"Cornwall’s second home owners are being urged to #DonateTheRebate, as it’s revealed they will get £5.4million in energy rebates this autumn..."

It could perhaps be an idea not to give second home owners the rebate in the first place.

That's the problem of using a dataset (supply to domestic properties) that does not know anything about council tax....
  • My wife is going through decades of things she hasn't thrown out and as a Scot that means virtually everything

She came across a very old (empty ) England's Glory match box by Bryant and May which states on the back

Notice in government office

'Executives without a secretary may take advantage of the typists in the typing pool'

The days of innocent comments are long gone !!!!!

• MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

There is pretty much no difference between Labour’s and Truss’s energy policy, save that Labour wanted a windfall tax for optics, and are rather more interested in finding conservation measures.

Both effectively want to put it on the never-never, which btw, is the right thing to do.

In the sprit of PB debate, I disagree with you. In fact you are totally wrong.

Energy firms take out government-backed loans to freeze bills, the loans would have to be repaid over 10 to 20 years. And you are calling it a freeze not a loan?

The Lib Dems are calling it a loan, to be paid back by working people, not a freeze.

Lib Dem leader Sir Ed Davey called for a "genuine freeze" of energy bills, saying it is "not right" that families and pensioners should be paying back a loan.
    He told BBC Breakfast on Tuesday: "What we're hearing from Downing Street, what you were referring to, isn't a freeze. It's a loan.
    "What they're saying is that families and pensioners should be paying this back for years to come. That's just not right.
    "We should be asking the oil and gas companies who are making tens of billions of pounds in profit they never expected to make because Putin invaded Ukraine, we should be asking them to pay some of that back so that we can afford to freeze people's bills without actually having the loan system that it's rumoured that Liz Truss wants."
    Asked if that is what he is expecting Ms Truss to introduce as leader, he said: "We just don't know, and this is my whole point. She's had weeks to tell us during the leadership election for the Tory party. And she didn't spell it out.
    "We put forward our alternative, our constructive alternative, which would be a genuine freeze on people's bills paid for by a one-off tax on the oil and gas companies who are making these super profits. That seems a fair approach."

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

The Queen needs to keep going for another one year and nine months to become the longest serving monarch of a sovereign state in history.

Even @TSE should get behind that. Not only does it keep his least favourite royal away from the throne, but she'd be beating a Frenchman.
    Nope.

Beating France in things like this brings us no honour.

I’m not looking forward to the North Korean level of flag shagging and mewling when Brenda passes on.

The sycophancy will embarrass the Kim family.
    The difference being it's a one off, so not actually similar.

Schedule a holiday on the announcement, even for fans it will be too much.
    I have an agreement with work that the moment London Bridge falls down I’m switching off the internet and becoming a hermit for a month.
    Grief will do that to a man

Can you not emigrate? I would. Any real property you think you own belongs to her, she is above and immune to the law which you practise, people only get to represent you in parliament by swearing allegiance to her, and you give half your income to her revenue and customs. It would drive me mad.
  • Pulpstar said:

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    ·
    4h
    In case anyone was getting worried, UK not having any problems at all borrowing money in capital markets right now.
    Just raised £3.5bn of 3yr gilts at 3.2%.
    Cover ratio (this is important - it’s how many bids there were for each bond) pretty healthy at 2.6 times.

That's good news tbh
    Not sure it'll be as easy raising +100Bn.
    Gloomster.
  • JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    Question for the sages on here: which democracies have had 3 female heads of government?
  • Ah Moon is a Lib Dem again welcome back
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    Yes! Truss will speak from an Apprentice Pillar-style lectern, similar to the one that Graham Brady the Old Lady spoke from (although his had Union Flag colouring on it) when he announced the result of the leadership election.

This is going to be one f*** of a premiership.

Johnson spoke from a more standard-looking lectern in the same place this morning.
  • Pulpstar said:

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    ·
    4h
    In case anyone was getting worried, UK not having any problems at all borrowing money in capital markets right now.
    Just raised £3.5bn of 3yr gilts at 3.2%.
    Cover ratio (this is important - it’s how many bids there were for each bond) pretty healthy at 2.6 times.

That's good news tbh
    Not sure it'll be as easy raising +100Bn.
    Gloomster.
    I'm just comparing my own chances of borrowing 100G, compared to 3500.
  • There is pretty much no difference between Labour’s and Truss’s energy policy, save that Labour wanted a windfall tax for optics, and are rather more interested in finding conservation measures.

Both effectively want to put it on the never-never, which btw, is the right thing to do.

Energy firms take out government-backed loans to freeze bills, the loans would have to be repaid over 10 to 20 years. And you are calling it a freeze not a loan?

The Lib Dems are calling it a loan, to be paid back by working people, not a freeze.

Lib Dem leader Sir Ed Davey called for a "genuine freeze" of energy bills, saying it is "not right" that families and pensioners should be paying back a loan.
    He told BBC Breakfast on Tuesday: "What we're hearing from Downing Street, what you were referring to, isn't a freeze. It's a loan.
    "What they're saying is that families and pensioners should be paying this back for years to come. That's just not right.
    "We should be asking the oil and gas companies who are making tens of billions of pounds in profit they never expected to make because Putin invaded Ukraine, we should be asking them to pay some of that back so that we can afford to freeze people's bills without actually having the loan system that it's rumoured that Liz Truss wants."
    Asked if that is what he is expecting Ms Truss to introduce as leader, he said: "We just don't know, and this is my whole point. She's had weeks to tell us during the leadership election for the Tory party. And she didn't spell it out.
    "We put forward our alternative, our constructive alternative, which would be a genuine freeze on people's bills paid for by a one-off tax on the oil and gas companies who are making these super profits. That seems a fair approach."
    There are two camps right now with different expectations of Liz’s policy.

You are in a different camp to me.
    That cafe is George’s Cafe at 36 Blythe Road, Hammersmith

But in 1900 it was the headquarters and archive of the occult order of the Golden Dawn, and on April 19th 1900 it was the scene of a truly bizarre magical battle where Satanist and rapist Aleister Crowley, wearing full highland kilt and sporran, and a black mask of Osiris, marched down the street to seize the Magic archives from the Golden Dawn member inside, Nobel Laureate W B Yeats

With the use of spells and incantations, and a presumably bemused constable, Yeats fended off Crowley, preserving the archive and the order and expelling Crowley. Crowley therefore went on to develop his own magickal orders, and developed his own Chaos Magic, with lots of sex drugs and goat rape

The link with Putin?

Crowley is a direct inspiration for Alexander Dugin, Putin’s alleged guru (whose daughter was killed in a car bomb some weeks back)

Here is Dugin celebrating Crowley

https://youtu.be/cF3NBLvaXZo

Dugin incorporated lots of Crowley’s ideas about divine chaos into his works. The war in Ukraine can therefore be seen as a Crowleyan act, stemming from the bizarre battle on that Hammersmith street in the spring of 1900
  • The Tory twitter feed suggests that the party has changed its colours to blue and yellow.

Has this been the case for a while, or is it Truss’s first act as a Lib Dem sleeper agent?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,848

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

First names of the last four finance ministers—
    France: Bruno, Michel, Pierre, François
    Germany: Christian, Olaf, Peter, Wolfgang
    Italy: Daniele, Roberto, Giovanni, Pier Carlo
    Britain: Kwasi, Nadhim, Rishi, Sajid

https://twitter.com/spignal/status/1566820707912368128

Whose finances are in best shape is perhaps the question to ask!
    Debt as % GDP:

Italy: 151
    France: 113
    UK: 96
    Germany: 69
    Is that the measure that was UK under 40% in 2007 - before years of Austerity (for some) to bring it down! 🫣

Where would US be on that current list, if I have been paying attention, PBs St Bart the Pirate will comment here that 140% is actually no problem at all, only beyond that it goes squizzy.
    137%

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/government-debt-to-gdp?continent=america

So is St Bart the pirate actually right on this one, this is a pointless measure to use for economic health and strength? The Tory austerity years, the lasting impact of them in income divides, was not actually necessary?
    ????????

I have NEVER said that. In fact I've always said the exact opposite.

There is no specific debt to GDP number that "matters" but what matters far more is an overall look at the deficit, whether debt to GDP is going up or down, and where you are in the economic cycle.
    You only know where you were in the "economic cycle" since it takes shape in retrospect.
    Not true, a recession is a matter of record determined at the time, not in hindsight. Two consecutive quarters of negative growth. On average a recession occurs about once every eight to twelve years or so.

You can and do know how many years you are since the last recession as a matter of fact at the time. So eg in 2006/07 we were 15/16 years from the last recession and overdue a new one which then occurred the following year.
    You know the past - all of the GDP fluctuations (eg when the last recession was) going back to when records began - but you don't know the equivalent for the future.

Also the fluctuations aren't of a fixed shape or size. Eg recessions are sometimes mild, sometimes severe, sometimes long, sometimes short, and they don't come along at predictable intervals like clockwork. Ditto with growth spurts.

Hence the notion that at a point in time you can with any precision whatsoever "know where you are in the economic cycle" is a bit of a nonsense.
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    JonWC said:

Question for the sages on here: which democracies have had 3 female heads of government?

Poland, New Zealand, Finland, Moldova. In order of their third PM taking office.
    Leon said:

But in 1900 it was the headquarters and archive of the occult order of the Golden Dawn, and on April 19th 1900 it was the scene of a truly bizarre magical battle where Satanist and rapist Aleister Crowley, wearing full highland kilt and sporran, and a black mask of Osiris, marched down the street to seize the Magic archives from the Golden Dawn member inside, Nobel Laureate W B Yeats

With the use of spells and incantations, and a presumably bemused constable, Yeats fended off Crowley, preserving the archive and the order and expelling Crowley. Crowley therefore went on to develop his own magickal orders, and developed his own Chaos Magic, with lots of sex drugs and goat rape

The link with Putin?

Crowley is a direct inspiration for Alexander Dugin, Putin’s alleged guru (whose daughter was killed in a car bomb some weeks back)

Dugin incorporated lots of Crowley’s ideas about divine chaos into his works. The war in Ukraine can therefore be seen as a Crowleyan act, stemming from the bizarre battle on that Hammersmith street in the spring of 1900

"Your gift survived it all" really nails old WB. Astonishing.
    The Battle of Blythe Road

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/36-blythe-road

I hear the cafe is disappointing
    Leon said:

It's OK if you stick to veal. But ask for goat and you're fucked.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Without being petty, that's quite a lot of vehicles to transport one person.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

It's OK if you stick to veal. But ask for goat and you're fucked.
    Hahaha

OMg they should totally do “goat curry”
  • Leon said:

Why don’t you buy it up, convert it into a proper pilgrimage for sex-positive (and possibly Corbynista) young women, and serve pasteis de nata direct from the Alentejo?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited September 2022
    It seems the only response from Labour spokespersons today has been a windfall tax will pay

Will Labour or indeed anyone confirm just how much a windfall tax will raise as I believe it is around £8 billion at most and a one off
    Jonathan said:

Unless they're on radio remote, there must be more than one person in them.
  • It seems the only response from Labour spokespersons today has been a windfall tax will pay

Will Labour or indeed anyone confirm just how much a windfall tax will raise as I believe it is around £8 billion at most and a one off

Big G back on message. For how long?

No wonder your compadres down Llandudno Conservative Club call you “Bun-G”.
    Leon said:

The link with Putin?

Crowley didn't develop chaos magic.
  • RH1992 said:

JonWC said:

Poland, New Zealand, Finland, Moldova. In order of their third PM taking office.
    Bangladesh has only had two, but between them they have governed since 1991, give or take the odd spell of caretaker government.

Leon said:

Why don’t you buy it up, convert it into a proper pilgrimage for sex-positive (and possibly Corbynista) young women, and serve pasteis de nata direct from the Alentejo?
    it’s actually quite shocking it isn’t Blue Plaqued with a Preservation Order on it. The Golden Dawn have been hugely influential in all kinds of ways, this Putin thing is just the latest

And it is the last standing Dawn temple, but also the most important. One was knocked down in Fitzrovia just a couple of years ago
    Jonathan said:

It's a spoof to fool the terrorists. She is on one of the bikes.
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

The link with Putin?

"Your gift survived it all" really nails old WB. Astonishing.
    Not really - look at all the nonsense the Nazis (Dugin's inspiration) got up to at Wewelsburg.

• Leon said:

Leon said:

it’s actually quite shocking it isn’t Blue Plaqued with a Preservation Order on it. The Golden Dawn have been hugely influential in all kinds of ways, this Putin thing is just the latest

And it is the last standing Dawn temple, but also the most important. One was knocked down in Fitzrovia just a couple of years ago
    Where was the Fitzrovian one?
  • It seems the only response from Labour spokespersons today has been a windfall tax will pay

I am asking genuine questions, and by the way I remain a non member of the party and have never been in any conservative club at anytime anywhere

Now please answer the question
    Dynamo said:

Leon said:

The link with Putin?

Crowley didn't develop chaos magic.
    “Chaos Magick is an innovation of twentieth-century occultism that draws influence from a variety of sources, including occultists such as Aleister Crowley and Austin Osman Spare”

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/contemporary-esotericism/perennialism-and-iconoclasm-chaos-magick-and-the-legitimacy-of-innovation/63ADA8C3487FDBC18284D062CD78F6C9
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530

It seems the only response from Labour spokespersons today has been a windfall tax will pay

The public want to see the energy companies suffer so the windfall tax does some of that . The Truss plan has tax payers effectively fully subsidizing them for the price freeze .

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just off Great Portland St

I am asking genuine questions, and by the way I remain a non member of the party and have never been in any conservative club at anytime anywhere

I answered it (implicitly) upthread.
    Not that it’s my question to answer.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Unless they're on radio remote, there must be more than one person in them.
    Gas-guzzlers R us!

There is pretty much no difference between Labour’s and Truss’s energy policy, save that Labour wanted a windfall tax for optics, and are rather more interested in finding conservation measures.

Then join me, and together we can rule the PB universe…

I don’t understand PB today, you should all be able to see the acute difference in the politics of a freeze, to protect working peoples money, and a loan to protect the energy industries windfall profits, using working peoples money.

By going with the energy industry scheme to freeze prices at current levels, Liz is merely plugging the gap between wholesale costs and what consumers pay - Truss is actually bailing out the Energy industry, protecting them from contributing their windfall, by loaning them the working peoples money.
  • JonWCJonWC Posts: 285

RH1992 said:

JonWC said:

Bangladesh has only had two, but between them they have governed since 1991, give or take the odd spell of caretaker government.
    Brilliant thanks very much.
  • kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

First names of the last four finance ministers—
    France: Bruno, Michel, Pierre, François
    Germany: Christian, Olaf, Peter, Wolfgang
    Italy: Daniele, Roberto, Giovanni, Pier Carlo
    Britain: Kwasi, Nadhim, Rishi, Sajid

https://twitter.com/spignal/status/1566820707912368128

Whose finances are in best shape is perhaps the question to ask!
    Debt as % GDP:

Italy: 151
    France: 113
    UK: 96
    Germany: 69
    Is that the measure that was UK under 40% in 2007 - before years of Austerity (for some) to bring it down! 🫣

Where would US be on that current list, if I have been paying attention, PBs St Bart the Pirate will comment here that 140% is actually no problem at all, only beyond that it goes squizzy.
    137%

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/government-debt-to-gdp?continent=america

So is St Bart the pirate actually right on this one, this is a pointless measure to use for economic health and strength? The Tory austerity years, the lasting impact of them in income divides, was not actually necessary?
    ????????

I have NEVER said that. In fact I've always said the exact opposite.

There is no specific debt to GDP number that "matters" but what matters far more is an overall look at the deficit, whether debt to GDP is going up or down, and where you are in the economic cycle.
    You only know where you were in the "economic cycle" since it takes shape in retrospect.
    Not true, a recession is a matter of record determined at the time, not in hindsight. Two consecutive quarters of negative growth. On average a recession occurs about once every eight to twelve years or so.

You can and do know how many years you are since the last recession as a matter of fact at the time. So eg in 2006/07 we were 15/16 years from the last recession and overdue a new one which then occurred the following year.
    You know the past - all of the GDP fluctuations (eg when the last recession was) going back to when records began - but you don't know the equivalent for the future.

Also the fluctuations aren't of a fixed shape or size. Eg recessions are sometimes mild, sometimes severe, sometimes long, sometimes short, and they don't come along at predictable intervals like clockwork. Ditto with growth spurts.

Hence the notion that at a point in time you can with any precision whatsoever "know where you are in the economic cycle" is a bit of a nonsense.
    You can't know exactly where you are in the cycle as in T-x days until next recession, but you absolutely can know how long since last one and be prepared for the next exogenous shock as and when it inevitably happens.

PPPPPP: Piss Poor Preparation leads to Piss Poor Performance.
  • Wow that lectern is hideous
  • nico679 said:

The public want to see the energy companies suffer so the windfall tax does some of that . The Truss plan has tax payers effectively fully subsidizing them for the price freeze .
    How much does it raise

Am I wrong on the £8 billion and a one off
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Here is today's ruling removing Jan 6 defendant Couy Griffin from office under §3 of the 14th Amendment as an insurrectionist. 1st removal by a court since 1869. (Congress blocked someone after WW1.) https://bit.ly/3RIvHMn
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeh but where?
    I’m pretty good on Fitrovian geography after a decent stint at the (now gone) Saatchi building.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    The eastern US is getting some serious rain this morning
    edited September 2022
    Continuing the theme, what's so world-shaking about the site of these traffic lights at the southeast corner of Russell Square?

(And why is the veil getting so THIN today?)

The second question is rhetorical.

• wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,827

Its almost as if its a cynical ploy to seed a thought in the electorates mind that bears no relation to anything either announced or that would deal with any significant % of the cost to cover up Labour's too early, too little, too narrow proposal

Conservative clubs are packed with non-Tories. They can be quite nice (although it varies a fair bit) and tend to be good value. I was a member of one at one time.

I think the manager of the Honiton one publicly endorsed the Lib Dems at the by-election. The Lib Dems had some fun with it but, in fact, that's not at all unusual and he may well not have been a Tory even when he took the job.
    Stuck in traffic!

nico679 said:

How much does it raise

Am I wrong on the £8 billion and a one off
    Yup - because getting the Norwegians to pay a windfall tax on the price of the gas they sell us will prove... difficult.

There also seems to be little awareness of where the profits are being generated.....hint, not much of the companies you can nationalise...unless you're planning to renege on the 1971 Treaty with the Sheik of Qatar....
  • IanB2 said:

Stuck in traffic!

Why didn't they go along Westway and Edgware Road??
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,569

Wow that lectern is hideous

The media were having a game of giant Jenga, and got interrupted.

There also seems to be little awareness of where the profits are being generated.....hint, not much of the companies you can nationalise...unless you're planning to renege on the 1971 Treaty with the Sheik of Qatar....
    We can nationalise -

UAE
    Norway
    Nigeria
    etc

What should we call this?

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeh but where?
    I’m pretty good on Fitrovian geography after a decent stint at the (now gone) Saatchi building.
    Clipstone Street

https://books.google.com/books/about/Tarot_Time_Traveller.html?id=CDE5DwAAQBAJ
  • In just a few moments time we could have a speech to rival the Speech to the Troops at Tilbury or the Gettysburg Address. Weirder things have happened. But not often.
    Dynamo said:

Continuing the theme, what's so world-shaking about the site of these traffic lights at the southeast corner of Russell Square?

Something to do with Karl Marx?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Truss backing MP's out in force.
    Suggesting she realises where she's weak.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,132
    Leon said:

Dynamo said:

The road crossing where Szilard had his insight into atomic fission by uncontrolled chain reaction.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Who is the young blonde with the iPhone beside Coffey?
    edited September 2022

I don’t understand PB today, you should all be able to see the acute difference in the politics of a freeze, to protect working peoples money, and a loan to protect the energy industries windfall profits, using working peoples money.

By going with the energy industry scheme to freeze prices at current levels, Liz is merely plugging the gap between wholesale costs and what consumers pay - Truss is actually bailing out the Energy industry, protecting them from contributing their windfall, by loaning them the working peoples money.
    And the difference between a plan that weights assistance more heavily to lower energy users and poorer homes whilst energy wasters and the more wealthy pay a bit more

Its almost as if its a cynical ploy to seed a thought in the electorates mind that bears no relation to anything either announced or that would deal with any significant % of the cost to cover up Labour's too early, too little, too narrow proposal
    Labour say their 6 month freeze will cost 29 billion and it is made up with 8 billion windfall tax, 14 billion by cancelling October's £400 grant, and 7 billion on an assumption it will reduce inflation and borrowing costs

It is time this is challenged and I am content to be proven wrong if someone is able to do so
    So Truss will put Coffey in charge of the anti-obesity campaign?
  • Ethnic tensions seem to be flaring up in Leicester.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/emergency-meeting-discuss-ongoing-tension-7549003

An emergency meeting between faith communities will be held tomorrow amid ongoing tension between Muslims and Hindus in Leicester. Reports of further violence follow an incident on the Golden Mile a week ago which was caught on camera.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

The road crossing where Szilard had his insight into atomic fission by uncontrolled chain reaction.
    Is that the answer? Brilliant

I love these puzzles, and London is full of hidden gems like this

Conservative clubs are packed with non-Tories. They can be quite nice (although it varies a fair bit) and tend to be good value. I was a member of one at one time.

I think the manager of the Honiton one publicly endorsed the Lib Dems at the by-election. The Lib Dems had some fun with it but, in fact, that's not at all unusual and he may well not have been a Tory even when he took the job.
    I do not mean to give a negative impression on con clubs, just I have not been in one
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    dodrade said:

Sophie Jarvis?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    What's the name of the nifty mini-Concorde lookalike plane that Truss and Johnson have been using today?
    dodrade said:

Maybe?

Chief whip Wendy Morton and DPM Therese Coffey arrive in street to greet PM.
    edited September 2022

I’ll be straight with you Big G.

If it only costs £29B to cover the October and January jumps and the entire £29B comes from windfall tax, Ed Davey is absolutely right, it’s a freeze not Liz Truss loan.

More likely in my opinion, more than £29B needs to be poured into this, but where you and Truss are wrong, it's a matter of fairness. People are struggling at the moment. These companies have made profit that they never expected to make and therefore that redistribution is really important as part of the package. It is "unfair" for working-class people to bear the brunt of any energy company loan scheme that is being brought in by Liz Truss's incoming government.

That is where Truss and the Tory’s have got this spectacularly wrong.
    Uh oh- raindrops in downing st…

And the difference between a plan that weights assistance more heavily to lower energy users and poorer homes whilst energy wasters and the more wealthy pay a bit more
    Sorry, which is that?
    It is now properly raining.
  • IanB2 said:

Fat shaming is just not on
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

That's right!
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595

dodrade said:

Sophie Jarvis?
    Thanks.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Whatever your thoughts on Truss it must be a hell of a moment in a car on your way to deliver your first speech as PM.
    I’ve crossed at those Russell Square lights dozens of times. I once saw a very attractive lesbian couple at the same lights

And that’s precisely where the nuclear bomb was invented. Superb

///kaboom.lesbian.bloomsbury
    Andy_JS said:

What's the name of the nifty mini-Concorde lookalike plane that Truss and Johnson have been using today?

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/new-jets-to-enhance-uks-international-presence/

Falcon.

Made by Marcel Dassault (or rather his firm).

EU-tech.
    edited September 2022

IanB2 said:

Could a smoker ever be made health secretary nowadays?
  • IanB2 said:

Stuck in traffic!

Why didn't they go along Westway and Edgware Road??
    I was thinking that, straight down to Marble Arch then down Park Lane, they seem to have done a big detour via Ealing/Shepherd's Bush.

Maybe Edgware Road was deemed a security risk? Or roadworks?
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/new-jets-to-enhance-uks-international-presence/

Falcon.

EU-tech.
    The French would be very upset for you to say that. French national champions and all that.
    It's raining & Truss is stuck in traffic, surely the most British handover of power ever
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

Is that the answer? Brilliant

I love these puzzles, and London is full of hidden gems like this
    I *think* so - but the OP has to be the judge.

Irrespective of whether it is the correct answer,

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/the-curious-wavefunction/leo-szilard-a-traffic-light-and-a-slice-of-nuclear-history/

I’ll be straight with you Big G.

If it only costs £29B to cover the October and January jumps and the entire £29B comes from windfall tax, Ed Davey is absolutely right, it’s a freeze not Liz Truss loan.

More likely in my opinion, more than £29B needs to be poured into this, but where you and Truss are wrong, it's a matter of fairness. People are struggling at the moment. These companies have made profit that they never expected to make and therefore that redistribution is really important as part of the package. It is "unfair" for working-class people to bear the brunt of any energy company loan scheme that is being brought in by Liz Truss's incoming government.

That is where Truss and the Tory’s have got this spectacularly wrong.
    The 29 billion does not come from the windfall tax

With respect that is fake news
    edited September 2022

Labour say their 6 month freeze will cost 29 billion and it is made up with 8 billion windfall tax, 14 billion by cancelling October's £400 grant, and 7 billion on an assumption it will reduce inflation and borrowing costs

It is time this is challenged and I am content to be proven wrong if someone is able to do so
    Besides, if Bloombergs analysis is correct and these actions proposed mean inflation goes no further and drifts back to the 2% target and we avoid recession then the benefit to the economy will outweigh the 4 and sixpence we raise by extending a windfall tax that already bloody exists!
  • Liz 'Why does it always rain on me?' Truss
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,848
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ok this is a genuinely good one

What is the bizarre connection between this greasy spoon in west london and Vladimir Putin’s war in Ukraine

If you know the backstory you’ll get it straight away. If you don’t you will need clues

Nicht der google!

Ok, first guess, anything to do with polonium?
    Nope. Much more bizarre than that
    Did Zelensky act in something filmed there?
    That’s a clever guess. But no

But it is something strange like that. Except much stranger
    I am bored so I cheated. Still don't see the link but what amazes is me is that google can accurately identify the place and isn't fooled by changes of colour and writing in the awning. Just as impressive to me as the dall e stuff.
    Yes I find that ability almost sinister
    Techno fail from me yesterday - not my fault either but the tech's fault.

I had this stirring tune on the brain, thought it might be the theme from either the Big Country or the Magnificent Seven but I wasn't sure - so I decided to try out this "app" which supposedly tells you what a tune is if you hum it into your phone.

Off I went, felt a bit silly but I did it ... "do do, do do do doo, do do, do do do doo, do do do do do do do doo, do do do do do do, da dat da da, dat da da da da ..."

Etc.

Did it nicely (since I can hold a tune) and yet all the "app" could do was get fixated by the "da doo" sounds and suggest, not a stirring theme from a western, but that pop song by the Police - "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da".

Really poor.

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Falcon.

EU-tech.
    The French would be very upset for you to say that. French national champions and all that.
    Wasn't sure if it was 100% Francais, as I'd have to check more carefully - there have been so many mergers.
  • Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Falcon.

EU-tech.
    A British PM flying on a French plane?? The jury's out on that!
    Scott_xP said:

It is now properly raining.

Due to stop in five minutes with a break long enough for a speech
  • IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Could a smoker ever be made health secretary nowadays?
    Still fat shaming and of a female
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

Liz 'Why does it always rain on me?' Truss

Should have checked the radar!

10 minutes of rain max.

Liz 'Why does it always rain on me?' Truss

Is it because I lied when I was 17,18,19,20.......
This discussion has been closed.