Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Johnson 2022 exit is now the betting favourite – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited July 2022 in General
imageA Johnson 2022 exit is now the betting favourite – politicalbetting.com

The big problem the PM and his team have this afternoon is that yesterday’s by-elections were worse for the party than expectations. Inevitably the focus is on whether Johnson can survive.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    Significant civil strife is now more likely than not, in America

I don’t see how else this ends. It is a fight to the death
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited June 2022
    Not first.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 784
    Leon said:

I'm off to New York next week, and Washington after that. I wish they'd waited.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,909
    Unpopular said:

Leon said:

I'm off to New York next week, and Washington after that. I wish they'd waited.
    Don’t worry, you’ll likely just encounter “mostly peaceful protests” - as CNN described the Antifa riot in Portland a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Pence: "Today. Life won."
  • Options
    The years before the English Civil War were uncannily like this

The King does some provocative thing

Parliament reacts by being even more provocative

The King returns fire with something outrageous

Parliament is unfazed and does something REALLY outrageous

The King goes crazy

Parliament howls at the moon

And thus in a few short years England fell from normal, fairly calm Christian European country to brutal civil war, tens of thousands dead, and a king with his head in a basket

At each stage English people must have thought: Well this is bonkers, but surely it stops now. It did not
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Giliead
  • Options
    I guess we can now expect some rightwing loon like Patel to announce that this reform in America is just what we need here.

• Options

This what the culture wars lead to.

Nadine Dorries and the other collaborators in the UK culture war can feck right off.

It’s a two way war, pal
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,655
    Nice of the US supreme court to hand Boris another dead cat. The man's a genius.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    Leon said:

The years before the English Civil War were uncannily like this

The King does some provocative thing

Parliament reacts by being even more provocative

The King returns fire with something outrageous

Parliament is unfazed and does something REALLY outrageous

The King goes crazy

Parliament howls at the moon

And thus in a few short years England fell from normal, fairly calm Christian European country to brutal civil war, tens of thousands dead, and a king with his head in a basket

At each stage English people must have thought: Well this is bonkers, but surely it stops now. It did not

It all went wrong when we tried to take back control from our unelected rulers.
  • Options
    micktrainmicktrain Posts: 137
    Leon said:

to be fair its time parts of the sexual revolution were rolled back and its got to start somewhere
  • Options

Nadine Dorries and the other collaborators in the UK culture war can feck right off.

Well said.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,236
    edited June 2022

Pro-life and pro-capital sentencing? No contradiction here, move along.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230

And today, hundreds of children will die of hunger.
  • Options

I guess we can now expect some rightwing loon like Patel to announce that this reform in America is just what we need here.

To let the States legislate on social issues as they see fit, rather than a blanket Federal law that was a poor decision in the first place?
  • Options

No, she won’t. Abortion, thankfully, remains unpoliticised in the UK. It will remain so

And besides, if ever a move against abortion did come, it would come from Roman Catholics, who are just as likely to be found on the Left or in the Libs as in the Tory party
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    I've never quite understood why there is basically no popular clamour for the successful bits of the US to secede from the crap bits.

I realise "American exceptionalism" and all that, but surely if you're from California (population slightly smaller than Spain), it must grate just a little that you have the same number of senators as Wyoming (population slightly larger than Leicester)?
  • Options
    Tres said:

And today, hundreds of children will die of hunger.
    Gun rights, no problem.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    edited June 2022
    Is it a quiet day on Twitter? Haven't been on there yet. Maybe best to stay that way.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Is it a quiet day on Twitter? Haven't been on there yet.

They’re not happy with Ben Stokes.
  • Options

I've never quite understood why there is basically no popular clamour for the successful bits of the US to secede from the crap bits.

I realise "American exceptionalism" and all that, but surely if you're from California (population slightly smaller than Spain), it must grate just a little that you have the same number of senators as Wyoming (population slightly larger than Leicester)?

If California is that “successful” how come so many of them are moving to Texas? Have you visited the West Coast recently?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Leon said:

No, she won’t. Abortion, thankfully, remains unpoliticised in the UK. It will remain so

And besides, if ever a move against abortion did come, it would come from Roman Catholics, who are just as likely to be found on the Left or in the Libs as in the Tory party
    It's very unlikely anything will happen here as far fewer people are religious. We've broadly moved on from the fairy tales in a way America has not.
  • Options

And pro slaughter of school kids by AR machine guns.
  • Options

problem is texas is a red state and oil rich and hardly one of the crap states....also many of the crap states are resource rich
  • Options
    Will Cameron pipe up to say Johnson should go?
  • Options
    Leon said:

How dramatic! Have you thought of a career as a pulp fiction writer?
  • Options
    Leon said:

If California is that “successful” how come so many of them are moving to Texas? Have you visited the West Coast recently?
    Yes, the other year. It's not particularly to my taste but it is, for better or worse, still where the world is shaped.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nice of the US supreme court to hand Boris another dead cat. The man's a genius.

Yep. Big Dog already knocked off BBC news website top half of page by the US news.

It's almost as if his whips checked the supreme court comms grid before signing off on moving the writs.

• Options

TimS said:

Yep. Big Dog already knocked off BBC news website top half of page by the US news.

It's almost as if his whips checked the supreme court comms grid before signing off on moving the writs.

The BBC ought to focus on British news.
  • Options

Leon said:

Yes, the other year. It's not particularly to my taste but it is, for better or worse, still where the world is shaped.

Sent from my iPhone

LA has spiralled into decline in the last few years. I hear SF is worse. Also Portland and Seattle

It’s not great
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Me: I think gay people should have human rights.
    You: "AAAAAAAH CULTURE WAR, CULTURE WAR"
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    micktrain said:

Leon said:

to be fair its time parts of the sexual revolution were rolled back and its got to start somewhere
    micktrain said:

Leon said:

An incel speaks.
  • Options

Will Cameron pipe up to say Johnson should go?

A dish best served frozen.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    glw said:

Leon said:

It's very unlikely anything will happen here as far fewer people are religious. We've broadly moved on from the fairy tales in a way America has not.
    That's cos we exported a lot of our zealots over there.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited June 2022
    Supreme Court finally strikes down Roe v Wade.

It has made clear abortion will now be decided by the American people via their elected representatives not the Supreme Court. So the pro life states, especially in the South and Bible Belt, can respect the rights of the unborn in their legislation.

The coastal pro choice states will likely largely stay as was
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263
    Shocking that Boris's Brexit Britain has once again been overruled by the forrin. All he wanted to do was remove the uppity British Secretary General with an Australian, and they have disrespected our Brexit mandate and voted to retain her.

Time for Global Britain to truly take its place on the world stage by withdrawing from the Commonwealth. Boooo I say, Booooooooooo.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Of course not. The logic is that unborn babies are by definition innocent, which theoretically isn't true of people convicted of serious crimes.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

An incel speaks.
    lol i love the ad hominem attacks pal when you have no arguments
  • Options
    “Clarence Thomas writes, in a concurring opinion, that the Supreme Court should reconsider Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell — the rulings that now protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.”

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1540339085230968834?s=21&t=GXxpUIgAn49NjQ-Tb80I_w
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Well said.
    Nadine is pro-abortion I assume. Haven't checked.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

To let the States legislate on social issues as they see fit, rather than a blanket Federal law that was a poor decision in the first place?
    Why was it a poor decision ?

The legal basis for today's ruling is beyond threadbare.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

I'm glad, at least for now, in the UK abortion and gun controls are not on the political agenda, the former is a conscience issue whereas any party that tries to undo the Dunblane laws is going to end up polling zero.

Jeremy Hunt has made clear he would try and reduce the abortion time limit if he became PM.

Rees Mogg opposes abortion completely as a strict Roman Catholic
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It has made clear abortion will now be decided by the American people via their elected representatives not the Supreme Court. So the pro life states, especially in the South and Bible Belt, can respect the rights of the unborn in their legislation.

By your logic and the conservative justices on SCOTUS things like Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka are up for repeal as well.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

The refusal to understand that the USA is a foreign country perplexes me. And it's not just the BBC who are guilty of it.
  • Options

Leon said:

How dramatic! Have you thought of a career as a pulp fiction writer?
    like to see screeching purple haired lesbians battling gun toting rednecks...now that would be a spectacle
  • Options
    Leon said:

“Clarence Thomas writes, in a concurring opinion, that the Supreme Court should reconsider Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell — the rulings that now protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.”

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1540339085230968834?s=21&t=GXxpUIgAn49NjQ-Tb80I_w

Called it.
  • Options

Shocking that Boris's Brexit Britain has once again been overruled by the forrin. All he wanted to do was remove the uppity British Secretary General with an Australian, and they have disrespected our Brexit mandate and voted to retain her.

Time for Global Britain to truly take its place on the world stage by withdrawing from the Commonwealth. Boooo I say, Booooooooooo.

He wanted to replace her with a Jamaican I believe but the Commonwealth's decision
  • Options
    Leon said:

Wow. They're after same sex relationships not just marriage?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.
    It’s not outrageous to believe that all human life begins at conception, and must therefore be protected as much as a baby

I don’t agree but I respect that sincere belief honestly held by many in the USA

Trouble is SOME right wingers have hijacked this cause as a way to monster the Left, as they believe the Left is bent on destroying the America they know

It’s a war. Pal.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

So that tweeter claims
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

The refusal to understand that the USA is a foreign country perplexes me. And it's not just the BBC who are guilty of it.
    the new parochialism of brexit britain. how sad.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155

TimS said:

Other news does happen. We are all by definition political nerds on this site. Something would have come along.
  • Options

Leon said:

Called it.
    let the roll back of the sexual revolution commence
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

So that tweeter claims
    It's on the SCOTUS website.

Search for Lawrence.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/19-1392_6j37.pdf
  • Options
    Leon said:

Griswold, possibly, as that also relies on the right to privacy. But Lawrence and Obergefell both rely on the 14th Amendment, and the text of that seems pretty clear.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Behold Gilead.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.
    It’s not outrageous to believe that all human life begins at conception, and must therefore be protected as much as a baby

I don’t agree but I respect that sincere belief honestly held by many in the USA

Trouble is SOME right wingers have hijacked this cause as a way to monster the Left, as they believe the Left is bent on destroying the America they know

It’s a war. Pal.
    Three of the judges on the SCOTUS are Trump picks

I bet he's loving this.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,455
    micktrain said:

Leon said:

Ok, I've already made an arse of myself once today, by taking a joke as serious comment, so help me out here - should there be a :wink: at the end of that statement?

If not, which bits, exactly?
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

So that tweeter claims
    does that mean civil partnerships or homosexual relations in general
  • Options
    micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

An incel speaks.
    The remark I was responding to was so demented that I am uncertain what an argument to the contrary would even look like. There was an involuntarily gay Christian bloke who used to post here who projected his hatred of his own sexuality by exaggerated demands that the state should interfere in everyone else's. You are from the same stable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He wanted to replace her with a Jamaican I believe but the Commonwealth's decision
    How very dare they. Foreigners interfering with the will of the people.

Your crook is so shit that he can't even get through his choice for Commonwealth head.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Leon said:

Griswold, possibly, as that also relies on the right to privacy. But Lawrence and Obergefell both rely on the 14th Amendment, and the text of that seems pretty clear.
    He's asking for someone to ask him to rule on the Fourteenth Amendment.

• Options

HYUFD said:

By your logic and the conservative justices on SCOTUS things like Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka are up for repeal as well.
    Only if states agree which is unlikely.

Indeed plenty of Black Pentecostals and Hispanic Roman Catholics are also pro life and anti abortion
  • Options
    Leon said:

Boris must be thinking "All this makes me seem like a raving lefty by comparison".
  • Options
    micktrain said:

Leon said:

Called it.
    Rees Mogg PM 2034?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

An incel speaks.
    The remark I was responding to was so demented that I am uncertain what an argument to the contrary would even look like. There was an involuntarily gay Christian bloke who used to post here who projected his hatred of his own sexuality by exaggerated demands that the state should interfere in everyone else's. You are from the same stable.
    mate its quite possible the sexual revolution will be rolled back....you are so blinded by woke ideology you may not see it coming
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    Selebian said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

Ok, I've already made an arse of myself once today, by taking a joke as serious comment, so help me out here - should there be a :wink: at the end of that statement?

Well, quite. It's which bits go where, that is the whole issue (so to speak).
  • Options

TimS said:

That must mean Johnson's minor difficulty in Devon is pushed down to at least third on the BBC bulletins after RvW and their previous top story, Labour's "train-wreck" in Wakefield.
    Applicant said:

Of course not. The logic is that unborn babies are by definition innocent, which theoretically isn't true of people convicted of serious crimes.
    I was thinking of the application of the 10 Commandments... oh right 9 Commandments, I've got it!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,431
    HYUFD said:

The corollary is that abortion rights will become an election issue in each state, which might stir things up more than expected by either side.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Boris must be thinking "All this makes me seem like a raving lefty by comparison".

Given this, the rise of the right in France and the conservative voter strike here, its almost as if the West's Overton Window is shifting.

November 2022 is the next litmus test. And boy what a test.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

One could argue that the biggest cause of reduction of liberal rights in the USA is Ruth Bader Ginsburg. If she had the slightest humility she would have resigned whilst a Democrat was President. She didn't and this is now the result.
    Indeed. Two Justices, maybe even three, that were appointed by Democrats, should consider that there’s only six months left of a Dem Senate.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The corollary is that abortion rights will become an election issue in each state, which might stir things up more than expected by either side.
    Turnout is going to be very high in State elections this year, that’s for sure.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

is total sexual freedom beneficial for society or not...answer me that...not talking about for women or men but society as a whole
  • Options
    micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

An incel speaks.
    mate its quite possible the sexual revolution will be rolled back....you are so blinded by woke ideology you may not see it coming
    I am not your mate. Nor, I now very strongly believe, is anyone else. Incel.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

One could argue that the biggest cause of reduction of liberal rights in the USA is Ruth Bader Ginsburg. If she had the slightest humility she would have resigned whilst a Democrat was President. She didn't and this is now the result.
    There would still be a 5-4 majority with Roberts as the median vote instead of ... I guess, Gorsuch?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Only if states agree which is unlikely.

Indeed plenty of Black Pentecostals and Hispanic Roman Catholics are also pro life and anti abortion
    Some US pollsters claiming a big shift in hispanic voters away from the Democrats. IF so, massive. We'll know more in November
  • Options

Applicant said:

Leon said:

Isn’t that him saying this ruling does NOT affect other rights like same sex marriage?

But IANAL, as they say
  • Options
    micktrain said:

Leon said:

Called it.
    Generally people calling for the "roll back of the sexual revolution" aren't getting any.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

I bet he's loving this.
    All he did was fill the vacancies that arose in his term. It's not his fault that RBG was stubborn and selfish.
  • Options

micktrain said:

Leon said:

Called it.
    Generally people calling for the "roll back of the sexual revolution" aren't getting any.
    another ad hominem attack....you have no arguments pal
  • Options
    micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

An incel speaks.
    Which parts of the sexual revolution do you want rolling back? Your ability to discriminate against us sexual deviants? The right to slap your girlfriend if she looks at you funny?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    MISTY said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Given this, the rise of the right in France and the conservative voter strike here, its almost as if the West's Overton Window is shifting.

November 2022 is the next litmus test. And boy what a test.
    ... so Tiverton and Honiton proves that the Tories need to be MORE far to the right?
  • Options
    Honestly, there's more Pal in here today than in Pedigree Petfoods, Melton Mowbray.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

The logic is that a foetus has legal personhood.
    And women only sort of.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

An incel speaks.
    you have the maturity of a 5 year old lol...give me some arguments in favour of the sexual revolution....oh you have none
  • Options
    I think the Russians have given up on the more overt trolls, and inserted a more subtle one. Their intent is the same, to increase division irrespective of why.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

Called it.
    Rees Mogg PM 2034?
    Hell will have indeed frozen over.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

MISTY said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

I bet he's loving this.
    All he did was fill the vacancies that arose in his term. It's not his fault that RBG was stubborn and selfish.

Trump faced a storm of liberal criticism for his picks. He toughed it out. That is what he will claim.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

Leon said:

Isn’t that him saying this ruling does NOT affect other rights like same sex marriage?

But IANAL, as they say
    The rights we enjoy in life are very easy to overturn, given enough malice in a country's leadership. Sadly, progression does not have to be one-way.

America is discovering this the hard way.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    edited June 2022

Honestly, there's more Pal in here today than in Pedigree Petfoods, Melton Mowbray.

Now wondering when the Winalot will join it.

PS Rather disconcertingly, there is also a pork pie factory at Melton, as I recall from trundling through it on the train. But we had plenty of those earlier today (and regularly, of course).
  • Options
    micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

An incel speaks.
    you have the maturity of a 5 year old lol...give me some arguments in favour of the sexual revolution....oh you have none
    Freedom of choice?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708
    micktrain said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

Called it.
    another ad hominem attack....you have no arguments pal
    Which parts of the 'sexual revolution' do you think should be rolled back? What specific liberties?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

MISTY said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

I bet he's loving this.
    ...and one from the previous term, and on that basis, one that should have been left for the next term.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

Leon said:

But IANAL, as they say
    An unfortunate yet apposite acronym given the subject.
This discussion has been closed.