Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Johnson 2022 exit is now the betting favourite – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

The other thing to remember about the Scotus judgement is that the Republican majority on the court is courtesy of appointments made by a president who lost the popular vote. The US constitutional set up is a mess. And it has been weaponised by the Republicans in order to impose their views on a country that doesn't agree with them.

A lot of people will dance on the head of a pin about the election, but that the minority rules is a valid point that transcends the electoral system. (Also, the popular vote loser, election winner, always seems to be the same party, be it the presidency, Congress or what have you. So I think there's an element of sneaking regard for the conservative GOP in those pin-head-dances.)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    micktrain said:

Carnyx said:

micktrain said:

Stocky said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

This what the culture wars lead to.

Nadine Dorries and the other collaborators in the UK culture war can feck right off.

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.
    It’s not outrageous to believe that all human life begins at conception, and must therefore be protected as much as a baby

I don’t agree but I respect that sincere belief honestly held by many in the USA

Trouble is SOME right wingers have hijacked this cause as a way to monster the Left, as they believe the Left is bent on destroying the America they know

It’s a war. Pal.
    Enough of this chippy 'pal' thing. It's a cringer.

On the 'respect' front, for me it depends. People who believe abortion is morally wrong and (if a woman) would never contemplate it - I respect that. But people (esp men) who seek to impose that view by law on everyone else and in the process roll back the emancipation of women by 50 years - I don't respect that. I have contempt for it tbh.
    It's a subset of the right isn't it - the deeply religious conservative ones. Very niche over here thankfully. Plenty of them are women.
    A subset wielding disproportionate power atm for various reasons. Personally I think this is so gross that it won't hold. Can't say how exactly it will collapse but I'm pretty sure it will. You can't do this to women in 2022. You can't just sort of 'pretend' those struggles of the civil rights era never happened. I know the phrase 'wrong side of history' is over-bandied and can irritate, but it really does apply here.
    maybe the tide of history is turning...maybe women have decided they have had enough of the sexual revolution

Dunno if you are a Russian bot, but this seems to me entirely plausible. Women can be much more socially conservative than men, see female genital mutilation, which is often preserved by the opinions of women (men tend not to care, or be anti)

The same process is known to defending rape lawyers, who will always try to pack a jury with women, as they are more judgemental (“the slut was drunk and asking for it”)
    Women under 45 are more strongly pro-Choice than men under 45. Above 60, it's the other way around.
    it will be women who rollback the sexual revolution when they decide they are no longer benefitting from it...maybe they are sick of rough casual sex and men who wont commit or even working in large corporations for 60 hours per week to afford a house...at that point the whole sexual revolution collapses
    You do know that they aren't obliged to have rough casual sex? Women aren't forced to swipe left on Tinder.
    you have the classic "goldman sachs" type view of seeing us as a society of atomised indviduals...have you never heard of social pressure....that "goldman sachs" type view of people as atomised individuals has done tremendous harm
    While the "micktrain" worldview of seeking to control the behaviour of consenting adults has been utterly without problems, right?
    happy medium mate happy medium....society doesnt have to be saudi arabia nor the present day uk...there is a balance between outright sexual decadence and sexual repression
    Are we talking about sexual decadence though?

Banning abortion means that females in normal relationships who have an accident or are naive and who do not want a baby - plus the male concerned who doesn't not want a baby either - are barred by state dictate from exercising choice.
    As someone who's lived in the UK for over 20 years, it's depressing to think I've missed out on all the sexual decadence going on around me. If we're living in the equivalent of the late Roman empire, please show me the way to all that rough sex. I'm ready to be brutalized.

More seriously, it's amazing how ambivalent people can be about abortion until faced with financially supporting an unwanted kid. Than they're pro-choice all the way.
    the significance of today is it is the first major setback to the sexual revolution since it started in the 1960s with easily available contraception. Historians may lookback on today as the day when the sexual revolution started to go into reverse
    The heyday of the sexual revolution for straight people (and men and women who liked to experiment with being bi) was in the 70s. Then came herpes, AIDS, Reagan, everybody getting older than dirt, etc. etc.

I was in grade school in 1977, so I missed out on that as well.
    I remmeber the feeling of growing up a teenager in the early 70s. That sense of having missed the bus was palpable.
    I think by 2050 we will look back on the late 20th century and not believe the level of sexual freedom there was in the same way medieval peasants looked back on the roman orgies
    I think that incredibly unlikely.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Not for nothing, but #SupremeCourt justices can be #impeached with a simple majority in the #House.

Relevant because at least 4 of them appear to have lied under oath in their confirmation hearings, and one was party to a violent coup attempt to overthrow the 2020 election.

https://twitter.com/Seiurus/status/1540373576997429248

Do we know what the lies were?
    The testified, for example, that they regarded Roe as "settled law".
    It was settled law.

I wonder how far some of these Justices want to go back? How many would like to go back to Dredd Scott?
    Don't effing joke.

Alito actually referenced Taney's opinion in Dredd Scott in his recent gun rights decision.
    Pungent PB Pundit Alert - Dread Scott
    Dred Scott
    I think you might have misunderstood SeaShanty's pun ?

Not impossible

I have just watched some entirely graphic footage of a minotaur being masturbated to ejaculation in an alley by a trio of birds (avian) and thought Yeah boring filler, get on with the story. Perhaps this new bloke has a point about desensitization.
  • Options
    micktrainmicktrain Posts: 137

Andy_JS said:

"Great Britain is decaying before our eyes
    Of course people are furious: nothing works, nobody is working, and everything is going to the dogs

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/06/24/great-britain-decaying-eyes/

Well, we are twelves years into yet another long period of Tory government, so what does she expect.
    see what years of sexual decadence gets you.....eventually economic collapse hence why i think the sexual revolution is now over and will reverse especially if women no longer benefit from it
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962
    micktrain said:

micktrain said:

Stocky said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nadine Dorries and the other collaborators in the UK culture war can feck right off.

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.
    It’s not outrageous to believe that all human life begins at conception, and must therefore be protected as much as a baby

I don’t agree but I respect that sincere belief honestly held by many in the USA

Trouble is SOME right wingers have hijacked this cause as a way to monster the Left, as they believe the Left is bent on destroying the America they know

It’s a war. Pal.

On the 'respect' front, for me it depends. People who believe abortion is morally wrong and (if a woman) would never contemplate it - I respect that. But people (esp men) who seek to impose that view by law on everyone else and in the process roll back the emancipation of women by 50 years - I don't respect that. I have contempt for it tbh.
    It's a subset of the right isn't it - the deeply religious conservative ones. Very niche over here thankfully. Plenty of them are women.
    A subset wielding disproportionate power atm for various reasons. Personally I think this is so gross that it won't hold. Can't say how exactly it will collapse but I'm pretty sure it will. You can't do this to women in 2022. You can't just sort of 'pretend' those struggles of the civil rights era never happened. I know the phrase 'wrong side of history' is over-bandied and can irritate, but it really does apply here.
    maybe the tide of history is turning...maybe women have decided they have had enough of the sexual revolution

Dunno if you are a Russian bot, but this seems to me entirely plausible. Women can be much more socially conservative than men, see female genital mutilation, which is often preserved by the opinions of women (men tend not to care, or be anti)

The same process is known to defending rape lawyers, who will always try to pack a jury with women, as they are more judgemental (“the slut was drunk and asking for it”)
    Women under 45 are more strongly pro-Choice than men under 45. Above 60, it's the other way around.
    it will be women who rollback the sexual revolution when they decide they are no longer benefitting from it...maybe they are sick of rough casual sex and men who wont commit or even working in large corporations for 60 hours per week to afford a house...at that point the whole sexual revolution collapses
    You do know that they aren't obliged to have rough casual sex? Women aren't forced to swipe left on Tinder.
    you have the classic "goldman sachs" type view of seeing us as a society of atomised indviduals...have you never heard of social pressure....that "goldman sachs" type view of people as atomised individuals has done tremendous harm
    While the "micktrain" worldview of seeking to control the behaviour of consenting adults has been utterly without problems, right?
    happy medium mate happy medium....society doesnt have to be saudi arabia nor the present day uk...there is a balance between outright sexual decadence and sexual repression

Banning abortion means that females in normal relationships who have an accident or are naive and who do not want a baby - plus the male concerned who doesn't not want a baby either - are barred by state dictate from exercising choice.
    As someone who's lived in the UK for over 20 years, it's depressing to think I've missed out on all the sexual decadence going on around me. If we're living in the equivalent of the late Roman empire, please show me the way to all that rough sex. I'm ready to be brutalized.

More seriously, it's amazing how ambivalent people can be about abortion until faced with financially supporting an unwanted kid. Than they're pro-choice all the way.
    the significance of today is it is the first major setback to the sexual revolution since it started in the 1960s with easily available contraception. Historians may lookback on today as the day when the sexual revolution started to go into reverse
    The heyday of the sexual revolution for straight people (and men and women who liked to experiment with being bi) was in the
    70s. Then came herpes, AIDS, Reagan, everybody getting older than dirt, etc. etc.

I was in grade school in 1977, so I missed
    out on that as well.
    no i think the heyday was in the 90s pre the
    obsession with rape culture and post the section 28 1980s. I think sexual activity has actually been falling off the last 10 years as many studies show many young men not having sex over the past year. So the sexual revolution has in reality probably been reversing for a while....expect laws and legislation to follow...
    I think calling the end of the sexual revolution based on your barren periods is a statistics fail - micktrain has not had sex for ages because he bores women about the end of the sexual revolution therefore 100% of men are not having sex - it’s a sample of 1.

Everyone else on here is just passing time as we wait for our partners to recover from the joy we have just given them, mate.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    edited June 2022

IanB2 said:

Applicant said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

It’s actually rather cheering that you can still go to a beautiful fascinating historic civilised city and have a delicious meal - surrounded by politicians! - for £14 a head. Including plentiful and excellent local wine

AND - listen up, Merika - no one expects a tip, and they are totally surprised, even bemused, when you leave one

Always a sign of the clueless tourist, leaving a tip in a country where the culture is that you don’t. Normally it’s Americans that mess up like that.
    Because we aren't (as a rule) as cheap as UKers?
    The American belief that it's OK not to list the price you're expected to pay - whether that's on a restaurant menu or on the shelf ticket in a supermarket - doesn't seem to make sense to the rest of the world, it's true.
    Not OK in vast majority of restaurants (exceptions being hoity-toity) and about 99.46% of supermarkets in USA.

Where are you getting your American groceries from?

Ought to report them to appropriate state Attorney General's office for consumer fraud.
    Since you are defending the American habit of leaving extra money - which actually originates from the abolition of slavery, but that’s another story - if you drive your car into a hand valet car wash place in Jersey City, leave the car and keys with a guy who takes it through the automatic car wash while you go to pay the cashier at the desk (about €12 as I recall); when the car emerges from the car wash a group of about five guys give the car a thorough valet inside, hoovering and the rest, when they return the key, are you expected to tip?
    As I neither own a car nor live in Jersey City, don't have a clue.

And agree with others on here, that a living wage beats a tip every day.

And would appear from link below, that your contention that tipping "actually originates from the abolition of slavery" may NOT hold water:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity

Obviously the concept of tipping didn't originate from then - but there are many respectable academics who argue that the particularly American habit of underpaying servers and leaving customers to make up a decent wage dates back to the abolition of slavery. Indeed this contention and some links supporting it are in the article that you linked above - I guess you didn't read it? In addition to those links, the hugely respected US cultural historian Carl Degler made this point in his seminal work on American cultural history.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

It’s actually rather cheering that you can still go to a beautiful fascinating historic civilised city and have a delicious meal - surrounded by politicians! - for £14 a head. Including plentiful and excellent local wine

AND - listen up, Merika - no one expects a tip, and they are totally surprised, even bemused, when you leave one

Always a sign of the clueless tourist, leaving a tip in a country where the culture is that you don’t. Normally it’s Americans that mess up like that.
    Normally it’s some mixture of habit, fearing the shame you have at home if you don’t leave one, and ignorance. Americans don’t realise that leaving a tip in many countries can be seen as almost an insult.
    An insult that folks get over pretty quickly I reckon.
    No, an insult that can create problems for the tourists that follow, once people get accustomed to being insulted and not minding so much.
    Only for cheapskate tourists is a gratuity a "problem".
    Screw you people on a budget trying to pay what you are asked only!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    Is today micktrain's first day on PB?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,500

Andy_JS said:

Of course people are furious: nothing works, nobody is working, and everything is going to the dogs

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

Well, we are twelves years into yet another long period of Tory government, so what does she expect.
    There's a problem, though.

In the mid 1990's, a lot of the country (especially the state funded bits) was crumbly, tatty and clearly staggering on the goodwill of too many underpaid staff. But it was also the case that the economy was trotting on very nicely, thank you. There was money to be shifted into making the public realm better.

In the mid 2020's, things are also crumbly, tatty and clearly staggering. But heaven only knows where the money is going to come from to fix it.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 784
    CatMan said:

As ever, The Simpsons does it again:

Secretly you long for a Republican to lower taxes, brutalise prisoners and rule you like a king.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    micktrain said:

Carnyx said:

micktrain said:

Stocky said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

The heyday of the sexual revolution for straight people (and men and women who liked to experiment with being bi) was in the 70s. Then came herpes, AIDS, Reagan, everybody getting older than dirt, etc. etc.

I remmeber the feeling of growing up a teenager in the early 70s. That sense of having missed the bus was palpable.
    I think by 2050 we will look back on the late 20th century and not believe the level of sexual freedom there was in the same way medieval peasants looked back on the roman orgies
    That may be true, but will the looking back be done with horror and disgust, or with longing and anger at the cultists who cut freedom back?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    Leon said:

The years before the English Civil War were uncannily like this

The King does some provocative thing

Parliament reacts by being even more provocative

The King returns fire with something outrageous

Parliament is unfazed and does something REALLY outrageous

The King goes crazy

Parliament howls at the moon

And thus in a few short years England fell from normal, fairly calm Christian European country to brutal civil war, tens of thousands dead, and a king with his head in a basket

At each stage English people must have thought: Well this is bonkers, but surely it stops now. It did not

FPT

@Leon takes a time machine ride to c.1650:

"Well then you need to talk to "all the members of the Cavalier Party" who apparently want to Restore the Stuarts, and who are quietly working towards that.

"This is my point. I entirely accept that you and others are *reconciled* to the Republic/Commonwealth, but many people are not, especially politically active people in the Cavaliers and the Covenanters. They want to Restore, passionately, and they have not given up - not at all

"Until THEY are reconciled, this problem will bedevil us. I cannot see an easy solution, because this is a question of faith."
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

As micktrain definitely.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

The world we grew up with is passing away before our eyes, but no one is noticing.

(Actually, for most of my life this sort of fairly crap experience has been the norm in the UK).
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

I am fairly anti-abortion, but I do believe in freedom, and have no desire to impose my beliefs on others. As such I support individual women's right to choose.

"Safe, legal and rare."

Agree that, and everything else sane follows.
    Is it even possible to achieve the triumvirate?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Applicant said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

The American belief that it's OK not to list the price you're expected to pay - whether that's on a restaurant menu or on the shelf ticket in a supermarket - doesn't seem to make sense to the rest of the world, it's true.
    Not OK in vast majority of restaurants (exceptions being hoity-toity) and about 99.46% of supermarkets in USA.

Where are you getting your American groceries from?

Ought to report them to appropriate state Attorney General's office for consumer fraud.
    Since you are defending the American habit of leaving extra money - which actually originates from the abolition of slavery, but that’s another story - if you drive your car into a hand valet car wash place in Jersey City, leave the car and keys with a guy who takes it through the automatic car wash while you go to pay the cashier at the desk (about €12 as I recall); when the car emerges from the car wash a group of about five guys give the car a thorough valet inside, hoovering and the rest, when they return the key, are you expected to tip?
    As I neither own a car nor live in Jersey City, don't have a clue.

And agree with others on here, that a living wage beats a tip every day.

And would appear from link below, that your contention that tipping "actually originates from the abolition of slavery" may NOT hold water:

Obviously the concept of tipping didn't originate from then - but there are many respectable academics who argue that the particularly American habit of underpaying servers and leaving customers to make up a decent wage dates back to the abolition of slavery. Indeed this contention and some links supporting it are in the article that you linked above - I guess you didn't read it?
    In the last few years I’ve read many histories and accounts of American slavery - to coincide with trips there

Most historians seem to agree that the “unusual” levels of tipping expected in the USA - globally unique - stem from underpayment of freed slaves. It would explain why the USA in particular is anomalous
  • Options
    boulay said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

Stocky said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

The heyday of the sexual revolution for straight people (and men and women who liked to experiment with being bi) was in the
    70s. Then came herpes, AIDS, Reagan, everybody getting older than dirt, etc. etc.

out on that as well.
    obsession with rape culture and post the section 28 1980s. I think sexual activity has actually been falling off the last 10 years as many studies show many young men not having sex over the past year. So the sexual revolution has in reality probably been reversing for a while....expect laws and legislation to follow...
    I think calling the end of the sexual revolution based on your barren periods is a statistics fail - micktrain has not had sex for ages because he bores women about the end of the sexual revolution therefore 100% of men are not having sex - it’s a sample of 1.

Everyone else on here is just passing time as we wait for our partners to recover from the joy we have just given them, mate.

was that the quick one minute in and out mate or do you have a better technique
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Probably his last too...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Normally it’s some mixture of habit, fearing the shame you have at home if you don’t leave one, and ignorance. Americans don’t realise that leaving a tip in many countries can be seen as almost an insult.
    No, an insult that can create problems for the tourists that follow, once people get accustomed to being insulted and not minding so much.
    It's always a topic that reveals Americans' remarkable blindness to other cultures, and I see that tonight is no exception.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

In the mid 1990's, a lot of the country (especially the state funded bits) was crumbly, tatty and clearly staggering on the goodwill of too many underpaid staff. But it was also the case that the economy was trotting on very nicely, thank you. There was money to be shifted into making the public realm better.

In the mid 2020's, things are also crumbly, tatty and clearly staggering. But heaven only knows where the money is going to come from to fix it.
    Most of the nation's wealth is stored in property. Find a way to cream some more of that off, and you've got your answer.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    micktrain said:

Carnyx said:

micktrain said:

Stocky said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

The mediaeval peasants had a classical education? Huge if true.
  • Options
    See here

“The Racist History of Tipping”

https://www.politico.com/section/magazine

Fact-checked here

“Our ruling: True

Based on our research, the claim that tipping became popularized by restaurant owners who didn't want to pay Black workers after the passage of the 15th Amendment is generally TRUE, though more context is helpful.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/12/16/fact-check-tipping-kept-wages-low-formerly-enslaved-black-workers/3896620001/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

As micktrain definitely.
    micktrain said:

boulay said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

Stocky said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

out on that as well.
    I think calling the end of the sexual revolution based on your barren periods is a statistics fail - micktrain has not had sex
    for ages because he bores women about the end of the sexual revolution therefore
    100% of men are not having sex - it’s a sample of 1.

Everyone else on here is just passing time
    as we wait for our partners to recover from the joy we have just given them, mate.
    I’d ask your mum, your sister and your dad - they all ask for different things.

• Options
    Applicant said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

I am fairly anti-abortion, but I do believe in freedom, and have no desire to impose my beliefs on others. As such I support individual women's right to choose.

"Safe, legal and rare."

Agree that, and everything else sane follows.
    Is it even possible to achieve the triumvirate?
    One thing that could cut back on abortions is sex education in school, and free and easy access to effective contraception. That doesn't appear to be the US approach though.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,862
    A terrible day for women across the USA but it’s pretty clear now what Americans have to do if they want to keep their rights .

Get out and vote against all GOP on the ballot and make sure the nutjob party doesn’t get a majority in state legislatures.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Probably his last too...
    tell you what ill leave the site when i can finally manage to locate a lazy GP...deal!!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612

Gilead update:

"Anti-abortion activists are already looking to a new goal: making abortion not just illegal, but “unthinkable.” “The truth is that the issue of abortion goes beyond politics and law,” Lila Rose, founder of Live Action, said. “We must persevere until abortion becomes unthinkable everywhere.” "

NY Times

This was exactly the same kind of thinking that ended up throttling national prohibition versus alcohol in USA.

Prohibition movement had made great strides up in America just prior to WWI, with local prohibition in most states & localities where it was the majority view.

It was passage of 18th amendment that imposed strict prohibition regime on the rest of the US, that lead in just over a decade to repeal of national prohibition via the 21st amendment.

Which BTW was NOT enacted in usual manner, that is by 2/3 vote of both houses of Congress followed by ratification by supermajority of state legislatures. But rather via state conventions, thus bypassing many of the political pitfalls to repeal. Which of course would NOT have been possible without widespread public support across (most of) the nation.
  • Options
    Leon said:

See here

Fact-checked here

Based on our research, the claim that tipping became popularized by restaurant owners who didn't want to pay Black workers after the passage of the 15th Amendment is generally TRUE, though more context is helpful.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/12/16/fact-check-tipping-kept-wages-low-formerly-enslaved-black-workers/3896620001/

Degler (1959), revised editions 1970 and 1984, is the most authoritative source.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

No, its a problem for those that find purchasing another humans servility and special attentions in place of a decent wage to be grossly offensive
    Then suggest the following approach:

"As I find tipping to be a offense against equality and your human dignity, instead of offending you by offering you a servile gratuity, instead I shall write an sharp letter to your boss AND my MP demanding a fair living wage for you and yours. And please - no need to thank me!"

Do you NOT tip at all? Or just grit you teeth while doing it?

Do see your point, just cannot go with it whole hog, or even half-hog.
    I used to be a tooth gritter, now i try and avoid it completely. I rarely eat out though and i've never tipped non hospitality gritted or otherwise. I usually put something in the charity collection tin instead if there is one.

Pay a decent wage, the staff are there to process the order and port the plate to my table, thats not something that requires a special payment for how servilely they perform the function, its a grotesque and unecessary ritual, tipping. She's my sister and he's my brother and i am not their master.
    I dont enjoy the whole performance art of restaurants anyway in particular. Its a bit of supper.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

It's always a topic that reveals Americans' remarkable blindness to other cultures, and I see that tonight is no exception.
    A little unfair on @SeaShantyIrish2 whoi is a dude, and highly sensitive, and deeply inquisitive - and often informative - on other cultures. See his insights into Montenegro today
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 784
    micktrain said:

boulay said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

Stocky said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

out on that as well.

Sounds like soaking might be the solution to your combined hang-ups.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Not for nothing, but #SupremeCourt justices can be #impeached with a simple majority in the #House.

Relevant because at least 4 of them appear to have lied under oath in their confirmation hearings, and one was party to a violent coup attempt to overthrow the 2020 election.

It was settled law.

I wonder how far some of these Justices want to go back? How many would like to go back to Dredd Scott?
    Don't effing joke.

Alito actually referenced Taney's opinion in Dredd Scott in his recent gun rights decision.
    Dred Scott

Not impossible

I have just watched some entirely graphic footage of a minotaur being masturbated to ejaculation in an alley by a trio of birds (avian) and thought Yeah boring filler, get on with the story. Perhaps this new bloke has a point about desensitization.
    Teletubbies is not what it was.
    Did they get banned in UK due to one of the TTs being gay, allegedly? The one with the triangle?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

That's what you get following the policies of the Telegraph for 12 years.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

And just any topic on PB will apparently reveal the innate anti-Americanism of many PBers.

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Sadly, no pun - am hoist on my own pungent petard!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    edited June 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Not impossible

Gardener's World has really gone downhill of late.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

A terrible day for women across the USA but it’s pretty clear now what Americans have to do if they want to keep their rights .

Get out and vote against all GOP on the ballot and make sure the nutjob party doesn’t get a majority in state legislatures.

It could be the saving of the Dems at the mid terms. Things were looking grim otherwise, but this could spike Dem turnout significantly.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    Leon said:

See here

Fact-checked here

Thanks. Never liked tipping (although I do tip generously when it is customary) so good to have a solid Woke rationale being my prejudice.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Not impossible

Did they get banned in UK due to one of the TTs being gay, allegedly? The one with the triangle?
    USA, was it not? (not a dig at you - I really can't remember, but it was the US where BBC childrens' programmes used to be suspected as hippy druggie dropout propaganda).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Not impossible

:lol: Beat me to it. Antiques Roadshow was my other choice.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

And just any topic on PB will apparently reveal the innate anti-Americanism of many PBers.

Just sayin'.
    Yes, we are being unfair and it probably feels like we are being hostile, too

I fear it is just an unfortunate confluence of two things, the subject of tipping and that contentious SCOTUS ruling today

I was in the USA just last month - as you probably know - and sure I encountered societal issues - just like I do in the UK, Armenia, Greece, Sri Lanka - but the Americans I met were universally hospitable, kind, funny and generous. Some of the nicest people on earth, in a magnificent country

You just need to rewrite your Constitution a bit, and kick out all the crap/old politicians
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

See here

Fact-checked here

Degler (1959), revised editions 1970 and 1984, is the most authoritative source.
    What about factoids cited by wiki article?

Not that I'm claiming IT is exactly authoritative. But doubt they just made it up.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.
    I’m pro Americans who vote Democrat . Anyone who voted for Trump is beneath contempt and a stain on humanity . Sorry if that sounds rather blunt but I simply can’t stomach Trump supporters , there are no exceptions IMO .
  • Options

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Not impossible

No. Not banned. But tinky winky was a friend of Dorothy, yes
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

It could be the saving of the Dems at the mid terms. Things were looking grim otherwise, but this could spike Dem turnout significantly.
    doubt it not with gas prices as high as they are....it will only energise the hard core base not the floating voters
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,500
    pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

Most of the nation's wealth is stored in property. Find a way to cream some more of that off, and you've got your answer.
    That's so obviously true (just imagine if all that wealth had gone into something productive) that it's scary. But I don't really see how a government does anything about it and gets relected afterwards.

Maybe what we need is a government who know and accept that they are toast, but want to leave the stage secure in the knowledge that they've done the right thing. Who will be happy that history will look on them favourably.

(And then I woke up...)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Not impossible

USA, was it not? (not a dig at you - I really can't remember, but it was the US where BBC childrens' programmes used to be suspected as hippy druggie dropout propaganda).
    Magic Roundabout innit. Dilyn the stoned rabbit and Dougal with his coke/sugar habit
  • Options

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Not impossible

No, it wasn't banned, it just tailed off. I don't think it had anything to do with TinkyWinky's proclivities.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

That's so obviously true (just imagine if all that wealth had gone into something productive) that it's scary. But I don't really see how a government does anything about it and gets relected afterwards.

Maybe what we need is a government who know and accept that they are toast, but want to leave the stage secure in the knowledge that they've done the right thing. Who will be happy that history will look on them favourably.

(And then I woke up...)
    that money in property is funny money and doesnt really exist, 5% interest rates and whoosh its gone...cue lots of crying from the pampered upper middle class
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294194-i9343-k10586757-Tipping_practises-Georgia.html

Actual Georgian from Georgia says she always tips in restaurants

Yet look at that map on Wiki

The only country besides Japan and Korea with zero tipping?

Georgia

Fake news.
    NZers are incredibly hostile to tipping.
    And yet that map suggests we tip a little.
    We don’t though, we have a cultural hatred of it.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.
    I’m pro Americans who vote Democrat . Anyone who voted for Trump is beneath contempt and a stain on humanity . Sorry if that sounds rather blunt but I simply can’t stomach Trump supporters , there are no exceptions IMO .
    Was NOT referring to you FYI (also BTW).

Though I happen to know a few very nice, intelligent folks who unfortunately do support Trump. Some are salt of the earth.

Which makes me ask, what are people like me, who think as you do about 45, doing wrong to make such folks support him?

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

My Dad - and people like him - will have to pay to fix it. He's not the only baby-boomer who has retired on a generous final-salary pension and has paid off the mortgage on a 5-bedroom South London semi-detached house, while holding on to his almost worthless Eurotunnel shares because of the free ticket perks.

Merge income tax and NI so that high pensioner incomes are taxed more. Bring in the proportional property tax so that housing wealth is taxed more fairly. The country is not yet stony broke, though I'm not sure how long I will be able to say that if action isn't taken soon.
  • Options
    Lamont on AQ pro Johnson: leave him to get on with the job, changing the vonc rules not cricket
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.

I fear it is just an unfortunate confluence of two things, the subject of tipping and that contentious SCOTUS ruling today

I was in the USA just last month - as you probably know - and sure I encountered societal issues - just like I do in the UK, Armenia, Greece, Sri Lanka - but the Americans I met were universally hospitable, kind, funny and generous. Some of the nicest people on earth, in a magnificent country

You just need to rewrite your Constitution a bit, and kick out all the crap/old politicians
    And pay waiting staff a decent wage.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Leon said:

Seems generally sound advice most places, really.
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294194-i9343-k10586757-Tipping_practises-Georgia.html

Actual Georgian from Georgia says she always tips in restaurants

Yet look at that map on Wiki

The only country besides Japan and Korea with zero tipping?

Georgia

Fake news.
    NZers are incredibly hostile to tipping.
    And yet that map suggests we tip a little.
    We don’t though, we have a cultural hatred of it.
    That map is impressively accurate, to my mind

I’ve just noticed they’ve got Iceland down as another Zero Tip country, alongside Korea, Japan and Georgia

And that accords with my experience. The Icelandics do not tip and they gently look down on you if you try it

Never been to NZ so can’t say. In Australia they tolerate a bit of tipping, but it ain’t the culture. This must come from Australia’s famed egalitarianism. Everyone is a “mate”. No one is a servant
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    kjh said:

Yeah, just driven a car for the first time since I broke my legs in February.

Mind how you go!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,262

Gilead update:

"Anti-abortion activists are already looking to a new goal: making abortion not just illegal, but “unthinkable.” “The truth is that the issue of abortion goes beyond politics and law,” Lila Rose, founder of Live Action, said. “We must persevere until abortion becomes unthinkable everywhere.” "

NY Times

May the Lord Open.

WTF has happened to America?
  • Options
    micktrain said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

(And then I woke up...)
    that money in property is funny money and doesnt really exist, 5% interest rates and whoosh its gone...cue lots of crying from the pampered upper middle class
    More to the point, invent a way to cream it off and it has gone
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Lamont on AQ pro Johnson: leave him to get on with the job, changing the vonc rules not cricket

Does Lamont know that the rules of cricket have changed millions of times? Therefore it is cricket.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,704

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

Not quite my experience. Challenges to be sure, but a touch of the old hyperbole.
    I can't read it as it's paywalled (why post it? Or at least post an excerpt) but the headline is clearly rubbish.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.

Personally find being dissed as crazed tippers way MORE upsetting, than be critiqued in national terms for overthrown of Roe v Wade, abuse of 2nd Amendment and other ills of American democracy.

I mean, isn't coming to USA and being pissed off because posted prices do NOT include sales tax, just as "clueless" as giving a waiter a few quid or euros or whatever when that is NOT the custom of the country?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

See here

Fact-checked here

What about factoids cited by wiki article?

Not that I'm claiming IT is exactly authoritative. But doubt they just made it up.
    Again, you don't seem to have read what you actually linked.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 826

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.
    Hmmm...I have an instinctive desire to back the under-dog (you've defintely been outnumbered) but @SeaShantyIrish2 I think you have brought much of this on yourself tonight with comments such as "An insult that folks get over pretty quickly I reckon.". That does reveal a remarkable blindness to other cultures, especially ones that have a more ambivalent attitude to monetary wealth. The generalisation to all Americans in @IanB2's post was definitely worth calling out, though.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Andy_JS said:

As micktrain definitely.
    A few days ago as John Smith - revelling in the rape of Ukrainian women by his soldiers
    Today as micktrain - revelling in poor rape victims being forced to not only bring their rape baby to term but being told its "God's will"
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

(And then I woke up...)
    very true...
  • Options

nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.

Though I happen to know a few very nice, intelligent folks who unfortunately do support Trump. Some are salt of the earth.

Which makes me ask, what are people like me, who think as you do about 45, doing wrong to make such folks support him?

Not trump specific but i think the moral earnestness and certainty of many on the left comes over as rather too earnest and not a little unconvincing when compared to the reality of existence and that drives an anti vote.
    'Othering'
  • Options

nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.

You know when Liberals get lectured to about trying to understand Trump supporters . And then are told you shouldn’t look down on them . It’s hard not to . And why should it be the fault of Liberals that people support Trump .

• Options
    kjh said:

Yeah, just driven a car for the first time since I broke my legs in February.

Was just going to post "break a leg" but realized that would REALLY be clueless!

Are you driving with a clutch? OR a crutch? Whatever, best of luck in getting back behind the wheel!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Which was of course originally sarcastic.
    Referring to the game's reputation for corruption, violence, sexual licentiousness and bribery.
    So kinda appropriate.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.
    This will yank it out of us.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    edited June 2022

Leon said:

See here

Fact-checked here

Thanks. Never liked tipping (although I do tip generously when it is customary) so good to have a solid Woke rationale being my prejudice.
    Yes it's a no win. You feel bad if you don't and bad if you do.
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.

Personally find being dissed as crazed tippers way MORE upsetting, than be critiqued in national terms for overthrown of Roe v Wade, abuse of 2nd Amendment and other ills of American democracy.

I mean, isn't coming to USA and being pissed off because posted prices do NOT include sales tax, just as "clueless" as giving a waiter a few quid or euros or whatever when that is NOT the custom of the country?
    A fair point

On my last US trip (this April) I actually found tipping less hassle than normal, because now almost everyone has contactless machines and you can just tap in “10%” in a few seconds, job done.You don’t need to carry around loads of small notes

It would still be better if you got rid of excessive tipping altogether tho. That might happen as post-Covid makes cheap workers scarce. Once everyone has a living wage, tipping will dwindle
  • Options
    Modesty prevents me from noting how prescient this was at 16:24:

England piling the runs on now. I reckon 400 all out. Probably. Possibly. Well, you never know.

• Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,743
    edited June 2022

The other thing to remember about the Scotus judgement is that the Republican majority on the court is courtesy of appointments made by a president who lost the popular vote. The US constitutional set up is a mess. And it has been weaponised by the Republicans in order to impose their views on a country that doesn't agree with them.

He lost the popular vote but won the election, fair and square that time around. The US was never supposed to be a one person, one vote, popular vote democracy and protecting the interests of small states is a feature not a bug. As much as I dislike what they're doing with that, it is a deliberate protection against majoritarianism from the bigger states.

Also as much as I dislike today's judgement and the way its overturned precedent and repealing rights, nothing is being imposed upon states that voted the other way. They'll still be able to have legal abortions, those who are being denied their liberty is women in red states.
    The electoral college, like most things that are wrong with America, has its origins in slavery. It was designed to protect the South, who were fearful that direct voting would negatively affect them owing to much of their population being slaves and thus ineligible to vote. Slaves counted as 60% of a white person in apportioning electoral college votes, as well as Congressmen.
    Not just that, no. The 60% of votes is entirely rooted in slavery, but that doesn't exist anymore and hasn't since the 14th Amendment was passed.

But all states having exactly 2 senators, and that the electoral college is apportioned for congress + senators rather than congress alone is a deliberate design to strengthen the views of small (not just southern) states.
  • Options

boulay said:

Andy_JS said:

As micktrain definitely.
    A few days ago as John Smith - revelling in the rape of Ukrainian women by his soldiers
    Today as micktrain - revelling in poor rape victims being forced to not only bring their rape baby to term but being told its "God's will"
    neither john smith or that novicock chap was me mate...maybe you dont realise how many people in the country think completely differently to you
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Not impossible

Jerry Falwell tried, but AFAIK he got nowhere because it was crazy.
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.

Being unhappy with the way things are done somewhere else isn't the same as not being willing to go along with it.
  • Options
    boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Does Lamont know that the rules of cricket have changed millions of times? Therefore it is cricket.
    Sorry for confusion, guys, "not cricket" was my own shorthand for what he actually said. Perhaps I should have glossed his words as "not kosher" but that would raise some whole other issues
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

(And then I woke up...)
    No, housing is - in theory - an ideal target for heavy taxation. Residential property is in high demand, in finite supply, and is an essential need - and it would continue to be so if inheritance taxes were ramped right up and land value taxes imposed.

In practice you might struggle to calibrate it correctly so that it raises enough revenue to be transformative, whilst making a low enough proportion of voters scream in outraged agony that they can be safely ignored by a Government wishing to be re-elected. More research needed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.

A fair point

On my last US trip (this April) I actually found tipping less hassle than normal, because now almost everyone has contactless machines and you can just tap in “10%” in a few seconds, job done.You don’t need to carry around loads of small notes

It would still be better if you got rid of excessive tipping altogether tho. That might happen as post-Covid makes cheap workers scarce. Once everyone has a living wage, tipping will dwindle
    You get away with 10% tips in the US>>?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Not impossible

Yes, back in the late '90s when rightwingers (Christian or pagan) were fixated on homophobia for fun & (electoral) profit.

A schtick that they (unlike our newest quasi-PBer) have pretty much abandoned, having transferred their ire (and targeting) on anti-trans and related woke-phobia.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

Not quite my experience. Challenges to be sure, but a touch of the old hyperbole.
    I can't read it as it's paywalled (why post it? Or at least post an excerpt) but the headline is clearly rubbish.
    Use the 12 foot ladder
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

See here

Fact-checked here

i always tip more than expected...when i return i get very good service then
  • Options
    The whole tipping argument from the PB well-travelled shrewdies is absurd. First one is not meant to tip them because they'd be grossly offended, then one is not meant to tip them because they'd like it *too* much and start getting ideas.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sorry for confusion, guys, "not cricket" was my own shorthand for what he actually said. Perhaps I should have glossed his words as "not kosher" but that would raise some whole other issues
    To be fair I didn’t even know which Lamont you were referring to - was picturing an absolute arsehole at school and thinking “yes, he would say that, the bullying obnoxious twat”.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Regarding tipping...

What I find ridiculous is when people feel the need to calculate a precise percentage of the bill and leave exactly that, rather than just rounding up to a convenient number.

Meanwhile, for fans of QVC, there is an hour of L'Occitane on the beauty channel at 11. Always worth a watch...
  • Options

The whole tipping argument from the PB well-travelled shrewdies is absurd. First one is not meant to tip them because they'd be grossly offended, then one is not meant to tip them because they'd like it *too* much and start getting ideas.

always tip generously...its a sign of good character
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

(And then I woke up...)
    Or get in on a stupid wet manifesto then, day 1, rip it up and get serious.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

Use the 12 foot ladder
    ??
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,949
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Not impossible

There's an episode of "Ed Reardons Week" where he has to write the 'autobiography' of a BBC childrens TV show writer. Alternates between him being a commie or a libertarian as I remember. Worth a listen :-)
  • Options
    micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

See here

Fact-checked here

i always tip more than expected...when i return i get very good service then
    How do you know what's expected?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Just sayin'.

A fair point

You get away with 10% tips in the US>>?
    True, often it’s 20%. Even 30%. It’s fucking OBSCENE

I will never get over the idea you have to tip at BREAKFAST. It’s 7.30am and someone hands you a cup of Java and a muffin… and you yawn and scratch your eyes… and then you have to TIP

Get outta here
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

CAMILLA TOMINEY"

(And then I woke up...)
    Or get in on a stupid wet manifesto then, day 1, rip it up and get serious.
    just tell the public to stop being complete drips and start to face hard choices...that should do it
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

It was settled law.

Don't effing joke.

Dred Scott

Not impossible

Yes, back in the late '90s when rightwingers (Christian or pagan) were fixated on homophobia for fun & (electoral) profit.

A schtick that they (unlike our newest quasi-PBer) have pretty much abandoned, having transferred their ire (and targeting) on anti-trans and related woke-phobia.
    They may have abandoned it for a while, but they're starting to go back to it
  • Options
    boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

To be fair I didn’t even know which Lamont you were referring to - was picturing an absolute arsehole at school and thinking “yes, he would say that, the bullying obnoxious twat”.

Norman, immortalised by Julian Clary (at the expense of his own career, but worth it)
This discussion has been closed.