Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Johnson 2022 exit is now the betting favourite – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Does the England number 8 getting a 50 count as batting deep?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

So, have any Tory MPs gone on the record yet to say "Mea culpa. We should have binned the PM when we had the chance...."?

If any have - kudos. You fucking muppet.

For the rest - you fucking muppets.

What about those deluded fools who voted for him in the first place? Have they declared their mea culpae* yet?

*Or whatever the plural is.
    Nostra culpa?

Sadly my schooling was pretty primitive.
    I have zero Latin and even worse Greek.
    ... on reflection, simpler to find a workaround!

... made their professions of 'mea culpa' yet? would do nicely.
    The direct English trans would be
    “I am to blames”.

Perhaps this is an example of English being a bit easier to work with than Latin.

• Options
    boulay said:

micktrain said:

Boris is going nowhere.
    He’s going to hobble the 1922 with place-men, and bring down the entire Tory temple with him in ‘24.

Only the Cabinet can stop him, in my opinion.
    But they have been specifically selected for their craven support and stupidity.

let them go to a landslide defeat in 2024...a faragist type party will then emerge from the ashes
    I would imagine only Farage and Putin believe that, buddy.

Mick is clearly trolling us, but well done on not immediately going for "special military operation" vibes. 👍

I'll be amused to see how long it takes before we get there.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

This what the culture wars lead to.

Nadine Dorries and the other collaborators in the UK culture war can feck right off.

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.
    It’s not outrageous to believe that all human life begins at conception, and must therefore be protected as much as a baby

I don’t agree but I respect that sincere belief honestly held by many in the USA

Trouble is SOME right wingers have hijacked this cause as a way to monster the Left, as they believe the Left is bent on destroying the America they know

It’s a war. Pal.
    Enough of this chippy 'pal' thing. It's a cringer.

On the 'respect' front, for me it depends. People who believe abortion is morally wrong and (if a woman) would never contemplate it - I respect that. But people (esp men) who seek to impose that view by law on everyone else and in the process roll back the emancipation of women by 50 years - I don't respect that. I have contempt for it tbh.
    It's a subset of the right isn't it - the deeply religious conservative ones. Very niche over here thankfully. Plenty of them are women.
    A subset wielding disproportionate power atm for various reasons. Personally I think this is so gross that it won't hold. Can't say how exactly it will collapse but I'm pretty sure it will. You can't do this to women in 2022. You can't just sort of 'pretend' those struggles of the civil rights era never happened. I know the phrase 'wrong side of history' is over-bandied and can irritate, but it really does apply here.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

This could be good news for the Democrats wrt the mid-term elections. It will probably galvanise their voters slightly more than GOP voters.

GOP will now be able to run on the carrot of a federal abortion ban. I think the motivation differential is a wash.
    Disagree, as many of the less-extreme pro-lifers will be satisfied with banning abortion in their own bailiwick. But we shall see.

Also, differential views with respect to age & education will have an impact, in that many suburban moderates who are highly likely to vote in midterm general elections MAY be persuaded to support Dems on this issue. Plus it has potential for motivating younger, less-likely voters to actually turn out.

On other side, suspect that wish to expand upon pro-life legal momentum will have LESS impact in motivating less-likely pro-life voters to turn out this Fall.

Will be interesting to see IF this is how it actually pans out.
    The two sides should have a grand compromise and agree a constitutional amendment that guarantees the right of states to restrict abortions while also giving them the right to restrict the right to bear arms.
  • Options
    micktrainmicktrain Posts: 137
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Boris is going nowhere.
    He’s going to hobble the 1922 with place-men, and bring down the entire Tory temple with him in ‘24.

But they have been specifically selected for their craven support and stupidity.

let them go to a landslide defeat in 2024...a faragist type party will then emerge from the ashes
    Lead by someone who believes in the sanctity of marriage?

Or is it just homosexual having sex that bothers you?
    i do recall you used to work for goldman sachs in the late 90s...wasnt there a lot of homophobia in the investment banks of the 90s...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987

algarkirk said:

I'm not sure European politicians sticking their oar in is a good idea. This is from the Belgian PM:

https://www.twitter.com/alexanderdecroo/status/1540340020644659202

@alexanderdecroo
    Very concerned about implications of @USSupremeCourt decision on #RoeVWade and the signal it sends to the world.

Banning abortion never leads to fewer abortions, only to more unsafe abortions.

Belgium will continue to work with other countries to advance #SRHR everywhere.

The SC has not banned abortions. Voters and legislators do so. I think they are wrong to do so but democracy is what it is. On other issues liberals tend to like democracy but not on this one. Enlightenment does not consist of thinking only one view is possible.

I am pro-democracy, and think Parliament should be able to make any law it chooses.

I can also simultaneously think that its wrong to make other people's bodies subject to laws, rather than other people choosing what to do with their own bodies.

Its possible to have more than one point of view. It is also possible to think that some points of view are reprehensible.

I'd rather abortions never needed to happen, but if they do, then they ought to happen safely and legally, and nobody should be compelled by law to carry a pregnancy they don't want to carry - even if I think its right that Parliament ought to be able to decide that democratically (and I'm glad it has done).

Since America has a written constitution, the 14th amendment should apply to women and not just men.
    Good sex education and plentiful contraception advice might reduce the demand.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Does the England number 8 getting a 50 count as batting deep?

Does England number 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 not even making 50 between them even count as batting shallow?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    A sneak peak of my take on Boris Johnson, after the by elections.
    Such is the souring of the Tory mood that when the question’s asked ‘who would be better?’, the answer is ‘just about anyone’ https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/comment/195215?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=shared_link via @mailplus
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,611
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

micktrain said:

Scott_xP said:
    its all very interesting but i dont think a change of leader will save the tories
    Really? I can see Penny Mordaunt being a very difficult opponent for Keir Starmer.
    Really? Seems she cannot even compose an original tweet!
    A single post that inadvertently encapsulates the left. The real world exists outside of Twitter. "Winning" the internet for a day doesn't mean anything. Retweets and likes are not votes.
    Mordant & Dorries both posted near-identical tweets re: "delivery" of whatever it is that they think they're supposed to be delivering. Beyond more fat contracts to their cronies, that is.

A searing indictment of the Left for sure.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    dixiedean said:

algarkirk said:

I'm not sure European politicians sticking their oar in is a good idea. This is from the Belgian PM:

@alexanderdecroo
    Very concerned about implications of @USSupremeCourt decision on #RoeVWade and the signal it sends to the world.

The SC has not banned abortions. Voters and legislators do so. I think they are wrong to do so but democracy is what it is. On other issues liberals tend to like democracy but not on this one. Enlightenment does not consist of thinking only one view is possible.

I am pro-democracy, and think Parliament should be able to make any law it chooses.

I can also simultaneously think that its wrong to make other people's bodies subject to laws, rather than other people choosing what to do with their own bodies.

Its possible to have more than one point of view. It is also possible to think that some points of view are reprehensible.

I'd rather abortions never needed to happen, but if they do, then they ought to happen safely and legally, and nobody should be compelled by law to carry a pregnancy they don't want to carry - even if I think its right that Parliament ought to be able to decide that democratically (and I'm glad it has done).

Since America has a written constitution, the 14th amendment should apply to women and not just men.
    Good sex education and plentiful contraception advice might reduce the demand.
    As, of course, would much more gay sex.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nadine Dorries and the other collaborators in the UK culture war can feck right off.

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.
    It’s not outrageous to believe that all human life begins at conception, and must therefore be protected as much as a baby

I don’t agree but I respect that sincere belief honestly held by many in the USA

Trouble is SOME right wingers have hijacked this cause as a way to monster the Left, as they believe the Left is bent on destroying the America they know

It’s a war. Pal.

On the 'respect' front, for me it depends. People who believe abortion is morally wrong and (if a woman) would never contemplate it - I respect that. But people (esp men) who seek to impose that view by law on everyone else and in the process roll back the emancipation of women by 50 years - I don't respect that. I have contempt for it tbh.
    It's a subset of the right isn't it - the deeply religious conservative ones. Very niche over here thankfully. Plenty of them are women.
    A subset wielding disproportionate power atm for various reasons. Personally I think this is so gross that it won't hold. Can't say how exactly it will collapse but I'm pretty sure it will. You can't do this to women in 2022. You can't just sort of 'pretend' those struggles of the civil rights era never happened. I know the phrase 'wrong side of history' is over-bandied and can irritate, but it really does apply here.
    maybe the tide of history is turning...maybe women have decided they have had enough of the sexual revolution
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Boris is going nowhere.

i do recall you used to work for goldman sachs in the late 90s...wasnt there a lot of homophobia in the investment banks of the 90s...
    No.

Next question.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    edited June 2022
    algarkirk said:

@alexanderdecroo

Liberals don't like governments taking away individuals' personal autonomy, by majority vote or not.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    MaxPB said:

The dems need to start planning for a constitutional amendment on this, America can't be governed by a document written 250 years ago.

As a document its held up very well to last so long.

The problem seems to be the difficulty in updating it (it hardly seems to be considered now) and the insistence on really creative interpretation of its text to justify whatever party X wants, rather than updating things. Not as though Republicans are the only ones to have done that, but their politicians in fancy dress seem very keen on it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Boris is going nowhere.

No.

Next question.
    ok maybe that was solomon brothers in the 80s then...still i dont think out homosexuals would have been so welcome even in the 90s
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

However fucked up the UK seems, I'm thankful that we're nothing like America.

Yep, definitely. They are close to gone. Some of the 'cw' tone & techniques will be coming soon to an election near us though. We need to reject it. Hope and pray we will.
    Doubtful. We have already imported much of the lunacy of critical race theory. And the worst aspects of the trans-TERF wars actually come from Britain (ask J K Rowling), we donated that to America

Wokeness (and its pushback) is infesting the entire West. The USA is just further along.

I hope I am wrong
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

maybe the tide of history is turning...maybe women have decided they have had enough of the sexual revolution
    No, mate. It's not about sex, it's about sex with you.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962
    micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Boris is going nowhere.

Absolutely, hence their unofficial motto - two Sacks in the sack gets you sacked from Sachs bruv.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

@alexanderdecroo

Liberals don't like governments taking away individuals' personal autonomy, by majority vote or not.
    PB Tories of late seems to confuse democracy with majoritarianism. Seems to be one of the ideological step-children of Brexit.

• Options

micktrain said:

MaxPB said:

Boris is Trump-lite, though.
    And Brexit is essentially MAGA.

But yes, thank fuck the UK has thus far avoided much of the abortion lunacy, critical race theory, obscene political funding, political judge appointments, gun nuttery, and the opiate crisis.
    difference beween boris and trump is i dont think boris believes half the stuff he says...res really a part of the establishmnet whereas Trump is more of an outsider
    They are both, essentially, sociopathic entertainers who believe if you shout (or guffaw) loud enough you can make the real world conform to your inner visions.

The simularities are eerie, right down to the hair-as-visual-branding.

Trump seems more loyal to his family though.
    He just disowned Ivanka (at least temporarily) for spilling the beans to 1/6 Commission.

Plus keep in mind, that 45 would screw his own granny live on national TV IF he thought he'd benefit from it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

i wish i had the power to reverse the sexual revolution all by myself lol
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Alright, chum. Calm it
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    dixiedean said:

I see we are waiting for the Privileges Committee. Here is a list of things waited for.

1) The publication of the Sue Gray report into Partygate.

2) A decision by the police to fine Johnson over Partygate.

3) The end of the police investigation into Partygate.

4) The local elections.

5) Johnson’s Commons response to the Partygate.

6) The end of the platinum jubilee celebrations.

7) The Wakefield, and Tiverton and Honiton byelections.

Well said. I can't wait for the next thing to wait for. Then itll be too late.

Reminds a bit of the foreign policy stalling technique.

Nothing will happen
    Something will happen but we should do nothing.
    We should do something but theres nothing we can do.
    Maybe we could have done something but it's too late.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1540359619826126848

"I think it's a big step backwards"

PM Boris Johnson says he's "always believed in a woman's right to choose" after US Supreme Court overturned a 50-year-old ruling that legalised abortion in the country

Remember when the Brexiteers said it was terrible how Obama chimed in on Brexit? Crickets
  • Options
    micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Boris is going nowhere.

No.

Next question.
    ok maybe that was solomon brothers in the 80s then...still i dont think out homosexuals would have been so welcome even in the 90s
    Definitely must have been one of those pesky banks with Jewish origins, fella.

• Options
    micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Dunno if you are a Russian bot, but this seems to me entirely plausible. Women can be much more socially conservative than men, see female genital mutilation, which is often preserved by the opinions of women (men tend not to care, or be anti)

The same process is known to defending rape lawyers, who will always try to pack a jury with women, as they are more judgemental (“the slut was drunk and asking for it”)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    I didn't realise the conspiracy went as far as SCOTUS's throwing a dead cat on the table for Johnson.
  • Options
    boulay said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Boris is going nowhere.

No.

Next question.

you do know jews have been leading lights in all civil rights movements....your post implies jews are homophobic...borders on antisemitism mate
  • Options
    Gallup did some extensive polling on abortion. It is worth noting a few of their findings:

(1)

(2) The 16% gap between people calling themselves Pro-Choice (55%) against those saying Pro-Life (39%) is at an all time record

(3) Only 13% of Americans are anti-abortion once you include rape, incest and mother's life exceptions.

• Options
    micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

What do you want to reverse, precisely.

People having consensual relations with whoever they want to is their own business.

If nobody wants to have consensual relations with you, then your being an "incel" isn't the fault of the sexual revolution.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2022
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

The dems need to start planning for a constitutional amendment on this, America can't be governed by a document written 250 years ago.

As a document its held up very well to last so long.

The problem seems to be the difficulty in updating it (it hardly seems to be considered now) and the insistence on really creative interpretation of its text to justify whatever party X wants, rather than updating things. Not as though Republicans are the only ones to have done that, but their politicians in fancy dress seem very keen on it.
    Many of the founders came tonthe conclusion that the ammendment process was a mistake fairly shortly after the signing and that they hd ballsed up key components for how to keep the document updated.

Madison lamented that with news states added it would be basically impossible to pass an amendment.
  • Options
    micktrain said:

boulay said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Boris is going nowhere.

No.

Next question.

you do know jews have been leading lights in all civil rights movements....your post implies jews are homophobic...borders on antisemitism mate
    Unfortunately the sarcasm must have been lost in translation, homey.

• Options

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

People having consensual relations with whoever they want to is their own business.

If nobody wants to have consensual relations with you, then your being an "incel" isn't the fault of the sexual revolution.
    mmm so we have someone who thinks hardcore internet porn and love island is a net benefit to society...its a view
  • Options
    micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Boris is going nowhere.

No.

Next question.
    Above all else, investment banks love people who make money. That means they tend to be surprisingly tolerant of lifestyle choices or personal peccadillos.

If you can pick stocks that go up, then you can choose "Lord High Wombat" as your personal pronoun, and people would go with it.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    leviticus is part of the torah is it not?
  • Options
    micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

mmm so we have someone who thinks hardcore internet porn and love island is a net benefit to society...its a view
    I don't think Love Island has anything to do with the sexual revolution and is to do with reality TV being a thing nowadays.

But yes, I do think legal porn is good.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

How long do you think the backlash might take ?

I'm not sure this will have more than a marginal effect at the midterms, as many of the more malign effects will not by then have been experienced by a large number of individuals, and some states have not yet enacted their planned anti-abortion legislation.

It could make a significant difference to the 2024 elections.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045

PM Boris Johnson says he's "always believed in a woman's right to choose" after US Supreme Court overturned a 50-year-old ruling that legalised abortion in the country

Remember when the Brexiteers said it was terrible how Obama chimed in on Brexit? Crickets

He was asked a question by a journalist. What answer could have have given that you would have approved of?
  • Options
    micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

I wouldn't want to live in a society where people couldn't watch Love Island, and were banned from jacking off to lactation porn.

People have different interests - tractors, guns, lactation porn, internet forums about political betting. And that's a good thing.

You have no right not to be offended by other people's choices.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Overturning Roe puts the USA back to the position of every other nation in the world in that it becomes elected representatives decision whether or not abortion.
    I of course think it should be allowed but like SCOTUS I can't see anything in the US constitution about it
  • Options

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

I don't think Love Island has anything to do with the sexual revolution and is to do with reality TV being a thing nowadays.

well of course you do...you have your 2 hour session with it every night and a bottle of lube lol
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Carnyx said:

So, have any Tory MPs gone on the record yet to say "Mea culpa. We should have binned the PM when we had the chance...."?

If any have - kudos. You fucking muppet.

For the rest - you fucking muppets.

What about those deluded fools who voted for him in the first place? Have they declared their mea culpae* yet?

*Or whatever the plural is.
    Nostra culpa?

Sadly my schooling was pretty primitive.
    I have zero Latin and even worse Greek.
    ... on reflection, simpler to find a workaround!

... made their professions of 'mea culpa' yet? would do nicely.
    The direct English trans would be
    “I am to blames”.

Perhaps this is an example of English being a bit easier to work with than Latin.

In this case, the 'mea culpa' is a direct quotation of what each of them says, so that disconnects the plural.
  • Options

He was asked a question by a journalist. What answer could have have given that you would have approved of?
    He have a good answer - I am just pointing out the hypocrisy from Brexiteers. Obama was asked a question too.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

I wouldn't want to live in a society where people couldn't watch Love Island, and were banned from jacking off to lactation porn.

People have different interests - tractors, guns, lactation porn, internet forums about political betting. And that's a good thing.

Let people be what they want to be, as long as they do not harm other people in the process.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Scott Aaronson

Just last night my wife, Dana Moshkovitz, presented a proposal at the STOC business meeting to host STOC’2024 at a beautiful family-friendly resort outside Austin. The proposal failed, in part because of the argument that, if a pregnant STOC attendee faced a life-threatening medical condition, Texas doctors might choose to let her die, or the attendee might be charged with murder for having a miscarriage. In other words: Texas (and indeed, half the US) will apparently soon be like Donetsk or North Korea, dangerous for Blue Americans to visit even for just a few days.

(Symposium on Theory of Computing)

The not even to save life thing is extraordinarily vindictive and concerning. You can see travel insurers excluding Texas for women altogether
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    I think our new poster is more subtle than we think. He is here to undermine the railway workers' cause through his guff. "micktrain" is hoping that we will think he is Mick Lynch, the train workers' guru. You read it here first.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

"I resign"?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

yes but its a net negative to society having hardcore internet porn in young boys hands which they then use as an excuse to abuse young girls so theres that
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291

I think our new poster is more subtle than we think. He is here to undermine the railway workers' cause through his guff. "micktrain" is hoping that we will think he is Mick Lynch, the train workers' guru. You read it here first.

I suspect he’s had a couple of different names over the last couple of days and is merely posting for the lulz.
  • Options
    micktrain said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

well of course you do...you have your 2 hour session with it every night and a bottle of lube lol
    Quite a bit of projectionism going on with you today, but whatever floats your boat, its your choice. That's kind of the whole point.

So you wish to ban TV shows? Is that what all this is about to you, ending reality TV? I'd rather just stream something else and not watch it personally, play a game, or pick up a good book, but again whatever floats your boat.
  • Options
    Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Dunno if you are a Russian bot, but this seems to me entirely plausible. Women can be much more socially conservative than men, see female genital mutilation, which is often preserved by the opinions of women (men tend not to care, or be anti)

The same process is known to defending rape lawyers, who will always try to pack a jury with women, as they are more judgemental (“the slut was drunk and asking for it”)
    Women under 45 are more strongly pro-Choice than men under 45. Above 60, it's the other way around.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

I'm not sure this will have more than a marginal effect at the midterms, as many of the more malign effects will not by then have been experienced by a large number of individuals, and some states have not yet enacted their planned anti-abortion legislation.

Just about to head off to the single malt to celebrate the LD victory, but one thing that strikes me. Most of the discussion of RvW has been on moral or racial grounds (HYUFD). What I haven't seen - or missed - on PB is the issue of poverty and class. Unwanted and forced pregnancy bear more heavily on the poor than other people in all sorts of ways, both at the time and in terms of the ensuing children. Now I don't know enough about the US to tell how that works state by state, but in a country where race is so strongly linked to wealth and class, I do wonder.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited June 2022
    Sandpit said:

I guess we can now expect some rightwing loon like Patel to announce that this reform in America is just what we need here.

To let the States legislate on social issues as they see fit, rather than a blanket Federal law that was a poor decision in the first place?
    micktrain said:

JACK_W said:

micktrain said:

JACK_W said:

micktrain said:

Selebian said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

Significant civil strife is now more likely than not, in America

I don’t see how else this ends. It is a fight to the death

to be fair its time parts of the sexual revolution were rolled back and its got to start somewhere
    Ok, I've already made an arse of myself once today, by taking a joke as serious comment, so help me out here - should there be a :wink: at the end of that statement?

If not, which bits, exactly?
    is total sexual freedom beneficial for society or not...answer me that...not talking about for women or men but society as a whole
    Broadly speaking what consenting adults do is no business of society, state or church.
    but is it beneficial for society as a whole...you havent answered my question so i think we can take it you can agree its negative for society as a whole even if beneficial for some individuals
    I'm sorry I wasn't plain enough.

It's got f*ck all to do with society and is therefor totally beneficial to society.
    thats not an answer...do you care about society pal
    It's so entertaining when a Russian troll turns up - someone ought to open a book on how many posts they can squeeze in before the ban hammer drops. This one might even make treble figures
  • Options

That was my immediate instinct when I saw the name. But surely Lynch is too articulate and clever to post such illiterate bollocks.
  • Options

I fully approve the answer, and 'Horse likely does, too.
    He was just pointing out the inconsistency.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Others here have already criticised commentary on the decision - e.g. the EU, upthread. Johnson could have replied "none of my business - up to the American people". Now I don't think he should have, but it does feel as if some folk are saying that the only people who should comment on other nations' affairs are those they agree with.
  • Options
    Got today's Redactle in 22!
  • Options
    micktrain said:

JACK_W said:

micktrain said:

JACK_W said:

micktrain said:

Selebian said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

Significant civil strife is now more likely than not, in America

I don’t see how else this ends. It is a fight to the death

to be fair its time parts of the sexual revolution were rolled back and its got to start somewhere
    Ok, I've already made an arse of myself once today, by taking a joke as serious comment, so help me out here - should there be a :wink: at the end of that statement?

If not, which bits, exactly?
    is total sexual freedom beneficial for society or not...answer me that...not talking about for women or men but society as a whole
    Broadly speaking what consenting adults do is no business of society, state or church.
    but is it beneficial for society as a whole...you havent answered my question so i think we can take it you can agree its negative for society as a whole even if beneficial for some individuals
    I'm sorry I wasn't plain enough.

It's got f*ck all to do with society and is therefor totally beneficial to society.
    thats not an answer...do you care about society pal
    Who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott Aaronson

Just last night my wife, Dana Moshkovitz, presented a proposal at the STOC business meeting to host STOC’2024 at a beautiful family-friendly resort outside Austin. The proposal failed, in part because of the argument that, if a pregnant STOC attendee faced a life-threatening medical condition, Texas doctors might choose to let her die, or the attendee might be charged with murder for having a miscarriage. In other words: Texas (and indeed, half the US) will apparently soon be like Donetsk or North Korea, dangerous for Blue Americans to visit even for just a few days.

The not even to save life thing is extraordinarily vindictive and concerning. You can see travel insurers excluding Texas for women altogether

There’s some hyperbole there re blue American safety, but it won’t take long for some manifestly unjust death to happen (or some MD gets jailed for ignoring the law to save a life) and then there will be fireworks.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Always surprised when people are entirely behind wage restraint to combat inflation but think a 10% rise for pensioners is just fine.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Lactation? One learns something on PB ... now I really worry about farming MPs!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Easier to just jump down my throat!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Women under 45 are more strongly pro-Choice than men under 45. Above 60, it's the other way around.
    Women under 45 might want to be able to choose, but 45 is over 60 and wants to grab them by the pussy.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Just about to head off to the single malt to celebrate the LD victory, but one thing that strikes me. Most of the discussion of RvW has been on moral or racial grounds (HYUFD). What I haven't seen - or missed - on PB is the issue of poverty and class. Unwanted and forced pregnancy bear more heavily on the poor than other people in all sorts of ways, both at the time and in terms of the ensuing children. Now I don't know enough about the US to tell how that works state by state, but in a country where race is so strongly linked to wealth and class, I do wonder.
    I have certainly seen it credibly claimed that the war on abortion like the war on drugs is a proxy for war on blacks
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

He has every right not to be offended (as you are not offended), or indeed to be offended.

What he doesn't have is the right to interfere with those choices in order not to be offended.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Can’t bounce the Secretary into an abortion if it’s illegal. That might hurt a couple of GOP senators come to think of it.
  • Options
    micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

yes but its a net negative to society having hardcore internet porn in young boys hands which they then use as an excuse to abuse young girls so theres that
    Presumably it was the hardcore pornography regularly consumed by Catholic priests that caused them to bugger to the choirboys.

Or would you like to present some actual evidence?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I think @micktrain has a website for that.
  • Options

Others here have already criticised commentary on the decision - e.g. the EU, upthread. Johnson could have replied "none of my business - up to the American people". Now I don't think he should have, but it does feel as if some folk are saying that the only people who should comment on other nations' affairs are those we agree with.
    And if he had said: "None of my business," then people would have suggested he agreed with the decision, or was too cowardly to criticise it.

Sometimes politicians can be criticised whatever answer they give. This is a classic example (and I think he gave a good answer).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

it will be women who rollback the sexual revolution when they decide they are no longer benefitting from it...maybe they are sick of rough casual sex and men who wont commit or even working in large corporations for 60 hours per week to afford a house...at that point the whole sexual revolution collapses
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Alright, chum. Calm it
    Chill fam. Not 6 o'clock here yet
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott Aaronson

NYT ($) - How an Abortion Ban Trapped a Tourist on Malta
    Andrea Prudente, an American, developed potentially life-threatening pregnancy complications while on the island. But abortion is illegal there.

Andrea Prudente, a 38-year-old photographer who lives near Seattle, and her partner, Jay Weeldreyer, expected their trip to Malta to be a “babymoon” where they could connect with each other while enjoying the Mediterranean sun and local sights.

But a few days after they arrived in Malta on June 5, Ms. Prudente, then 16 weeks pregnant, began to miscarry. A few days later, her water broke and her placenta began to detach, making it impossible for the fetus to survive, according to Dr. Isabel Stabile, a gynecologist who has worked with Doctors for Choice, a Maltese advocacy group.

Ms. Prudente and Mr. Weeldreyer were devastated. But then they discovered that the situation was even worse than they had imagined, and that Ms. Prudente’s own life was also at risk.

A scan revealed that her cervix was open, and the umbilical cord was protruding, leaving her at risk of a fatal infection, as well as hemorrhage from the detaching placenta, Dr. Stabile said. The best way to protect Ms. Prudente from those potentially deadly complications would be for a doctor to remove the placenta and fetus from her uterus. Ms. Prudente called the midwives she had been seeing back home and they urged her to have that procedure immediately.

But she was soon confronted with a major obstacle: because the fetus’s heart had not yet stopped, the procedure would be illegal in Malta, where abortion is criminalized.

Unless she could find a way to leave the country, her only option would be to wait, potentially for weeks, for the fetus to die — and hope the pregnancy did not kill her in the meantime. But because of her fragile medical condition, a way out of Malta was difficult to find.

She and Mr. Weeldreyer finally flew to Spain on Thursday night, and she was admitted to a hospital. They sighed with relief partway through the flight when it sank in that she would be safe, Mr. Weeldreyer said in an email early Friday.

Ms. Prudente’s crisis was the latest in a series of incidents that have shown how abortion restrictions can leave women in deadly danger — and how travel to a more permissive jurisdiction can be difficult or impossible. . . .
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Overturning Roe puts the USA back to the position of every other nation in the world in that it becomes elected representatives decision whether or not abortion.
    I of course think it should be allowed but like SCOTUS I can't see anything in the US constitution about it

Untrue, there are constitutions and constitutional courts that do set out the law for abortion, for instance Poland.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Falls squarely within Rule 34.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Women under 45 might want to be able to choose, but 45 is over 60 and wants to grab them by the pussy.
    That’s funny but… eew. Mind bleach needed.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I didn't jump down your throat. I just asked you a question - one you have not answered...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    If this test match goes to the 5th day it'll be a pretty extraordinary match.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Very very good.
  • Options

Others here have already criticised commentary on the decision - e.g. the EU, upthread. Johnson could have replied "none of my business - up to the American people". Now I don't think he should have, but it does feel as if some folk are saying that the only people who should comment on other nations' affairs are those we agree with.
    And if he had said: "None of my business," then people would have suggested he agreed with the decision, or was too cowardly to criticise it.

Sometimes politicians can be criticised whatever answer they give. This is a classic example (and I think he gave a good answer).
    Yes, so do I, but that wasn't the point I was making.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott Aaronson

There’s some hyperbole there re blue American safety, but it won’t take long for some manifestly unjust death to happen (or some MD gets jailed for ignoring the law to save a life) and then there will be fireworks.

It is hyperbole - but check out this story from yesterday

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/woman-miscarriage-malta-trip-abortion-85582801
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Presumably it was the hardcore pornography regularly consumed by Catholic priests that caused them to bugger to the choirboys.

so you think hardcore internet porn is a societal positive...ok its a view i suppose
  • Options
    micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

it will be women who rollback the sexual revolution when they decide they are no longer benefitting from it...maybe they are sick of rough casual sex and men who wont commit or even working in large corporations for 60 hours per week to afford a house...at that point the whole sexual revolution collapses
    You do know that they aren't obliged to have rough casual sex? Women aren't forced to swipe left on Tinder.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

micktrain said:

MaxPB said:

Boris is Trump-lite, though.
    And Brexit is essentially MAGA.

But yes, thank fuck the UK has thus far avoided much of the abortion lunacy, critical race theory, obscene political funding, political judge appointments, gun nuttery, and the opiate crisis.
    difference beween boris and trump is i dont think boris believes half the stuff he says...res really a part of the establishmnet whereas Trump is more of an outsider
    They are both, essentially, sociopathic entertainers who believe if you shout (or guffaw) loud enough you can make the real world conform to your inner visions.

The simularities are eerie, right down to the hair-as-visual-branding.

Trump seems more loyal to his family though.
    He just disowned Ivanka (at least temporarily) for spilling the beans to 1/6 Commission.

Plus keep in mind, that 45 would screw his own granny live on national TV IF he thought he'd benefit from it.
    Wasn’t it his grandfather who kept brothels?
  • Options

I understand the point you (and he) was making. It's just a rather stupid one, and seems designed only to criticise Boris for actually giving a straight answer for once.

And it's funny how often some on the right (e.g. Leon) get accused of being Brexit obsessed, when the lefties on here seem more so!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

micktrain said:

Scott_xP said:
    its all very interesting but i dont think a change of leader will save the tories
    Really? I can see Penny Mordaunt being a very difficult opponent for Keir Starmer.
    I don't take Twitter particularly seriously.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott Aaronson

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/woman-miscarriage-malta-trip-abortion-85582801
    Well, yes, 30 states will more likely end up like Ireland, which imported abortions happily until a woman died.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Some of us choose to get off to videos of MLRS in Ukraine, taking out Russian positions in the disputed territories.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

People have different interests - tractors, guns, lactation porn, internet forums about
    political betting. And that's a good thing.

When Kirsty Alsop sets up an “Only Fans” page called “Lactation, Lactation, Lactation” then I will admit micktrain is correct and our decadent western society has gone to the dogs.

• Options
    micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

Would that perchance include repeal of Title IX in the USA?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

In defence of the argument, rather than the poster, there is good evidence that exposure to pornography at a young age can disrupt the perception of sex and relations in young teenage boys. There’s also a reasonable feminist argument that pornography has such a high proportion of trafficked individuals, and individuals forced into the trade due to financial circumstances that true consent (and therefore lack of harm) cannot be adequately assumed.

That said I doubt novichock there is carving that deep.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott Aaronson

Well it isn't though, is it? Aaronson says that it has in fact persuaded a group of the most intelligent people in the world to relocate a hugely prestigious event away from Texas.
  • Options
    ON topic, have any PB-ers ever been to Montenegro?

I have to move on soon, possibly tomorrow, and for various reasons I need to be a bit closer to civilisation than the Caucasus, yet I still fancy somewhere new (and not too far away)

Montenegro fits the bill. Is it as lovely as it looks in photos? Food? Wine? People?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

You do know that they aren't obliged to have rough casual sex? Women aren't forced to swipe left on Tinder.
    you have the classic "goldman sachs" type view of seeing us as a society of atomised indviduals...have you never heard of social pressure....that "goldman sachs" type view of people as atomised individuals has done tremendous harm
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    Late afternoon all :)

One of the problems of posting more than 12 hours after a by-election result is it's usually been said, argued, rebutted, retracted and in any case some thing else has pushed it off the agenda.

Three thoughts from me:

First, a marvellous effort by the LDs to win Tiverton & Honiton. This wasn't a "gimme" given the seat hadn't been won even in 1997. It required what seems sometime to be taken for granted in terms of hard work but don't underestimate what's needed especially in the early days.

One or two on here have sniped a little about Richard Foord but he's obviously worked his proverbials off and whle he and I both know the real work of trying to hold the seat starts now it's still an incredible achievement to come from third and achieve a swing only a whisker short of 30%.

Second, in Wakefield, as we saw in Australia, the collapse of the centre-right didn't translate directly to a swing to the main opposition centre-left party. The third-placed Independent, about whom very little has been said, put up a solid performance and clearly while disillusioned Conservatives and anti-Conservative voters seem happy to coalesce around an LD candidate, the same isn't true for a Labour candidate and that's an issue for Starmer.

Third, looking at Tiverton & Honiton, I was struck by the way the Conservative candidate was controlled by her Agent and by presumably CCHQ staffers. Helen Hurford looked photogenic enough and I'm sure she could engage with voters but she wasn't given the chance. The farce of her hiding in a side room, coming out for the result and disappearing without a word was ridiculous.

I don't know why the Conservative Party wants such tight control of its by-election candidate - has she been "promised" another go at the next GE contingent on her playing her part now? It might have been better if she'd been allowed to speak for yourself, acknowledge the problems and issues people have with the Prime Minister and argue she'd be in a better position to get help than an Opposition MP.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Can the US Senate and House overrule decisions by individual states?

Not without majorities of both and 2/3 of Senate and President's agreement if Supreme Court agrees it is a state decision, plus most states
    And for as long as senators in the smallest 17 states have a veto, hard to see how that happens.

Maybe businesses moving out of those states would concentrate minds.

Or the Lysistrata approach.
    Until now, most of the movement has been in the opposite direction because of a failure to tackle crime and antisocial behaviour. It'll be interesting to see if that changes.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

There's been plenty of commentary on this in the US, FWIW.
    And yes, access to abortion will continue to be readily available for those able to afford easily to travel, compared to those who can't.

But even the well off will be impacted by this, as we've already seen the scenarios for medical treatment of pregnant women being compromised by laws which hold physician potentially liable if the pregnancy is affected. Irrespective of the woman's wishes. And we've also seen laws being formulated to restrict the travel of pregnant women.

All the implications will take some time to play out, but they will not be minor.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

micktrain said:

Scott_xP said:
    I don't take Twitter particularly seriously.
    Nor do I as a rule. But twits certainly do - including the right hons in question.

Also reports that Twitter DID have some impact on the roller-coaster ups & downs of 45?
  • Options

I understand the point you (and he) was making. It's just a rather stupid one, and seems designed only to criticise Boris for actually giving a straight answer for once.

And it's funny how often some on the right (e.g. Leon) get accused of being Brexit obsessed, when the lefties on here seem more so!
    I wasn't criticising Boris though, I was criticising those on here who said that it's America's business and we shouldn't give an opinion. I don't agree with them.
  • Options
    micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s a two way war, pal
    Republicans v women.

pal.

It’s a war. Pal.

so you think hardcore internet porn is a societal positive...ok its a view i suppose
    No, I'm asking you for evidence that the availability of pornography has increased the amount of sexual violence.

And my point is that a group that very definitely didn't have access to hardcore Internet porn, seemed to have no problems in engaging in an awful lot of sexual violence.
This discussion has been closed.