Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A LAB majority NO – but PM Starmer more likely – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2022 in General
imageA LAB majority NO – but PM Starmer more likely – politicalbetting.com

The big message from the local election results is that the Tories suffered a lot of losses, particularly in places in the South which the party once regarded as its homeland.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,096
    1st like Labour
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited May 2022
    2nd like the Lib Dems, obvs
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,876
    edited May 2022
    The anti-Tory vote is getting stronger and more organised across Britain. There is no longer a significant UKIP/Reform vote for the Tories to squeeze. NOM must now be favourite in 2024 and that probably does mean Starmer (or his replacement) in 10 Downing Street.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    I have Starmer green as next PM. The biggest threat to the bet is Johnson going down the plughole with the economy before a GE.
    BREAKING: Conservatives lose Huntingdonshire to no overall control

The Tories have lost control of another council to no overall control - Huntingdonshire.

It has been in Conservative control since 1976, and is the council of ex-prime minister John Major's former constituency.

https://news.sky.com/story/local-elections-live-news-labour-conservatives-boris-johnson-keir-starmer-politics-latest-12593360
    This is getting worse for the tories.

I'm really intrigued about this. More rural votes counted in the daytime?
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    It looks like any route will not be through the Brexit-supporting, middle England, traditional swing seats, but instead circumventing via a few dozen losses to "generic opposition" in hitherto surprising places in the South of England, plus less surprising reversions in Wales, Scotland, and Celtic extremities of England.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    on SKS beergate my comment was, as ever, on the button.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3906695#Comment_3906695

If the rules were the same then if Boris was in the wrong, so was SKS.
  • Good to see that the Met Police weren't the only ones respecting purdah, and that Durham Police were doing the same.

The question is now if they will follow the precedence set by the Met and issue a retrospective FPN. Had the Met not done so, they never would have I expect, but they'll be under immense pressure from both directions now.

Overall the local election results seem to be summable in one word: "Meh".
  • TOPPING said:

on SKS beergate my comment was, as ever, on the button.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3906695#Comment_3906695

If the rules were the same then if Boris was in the wrong, so was SKS.

Well Durham Police will presumably confirm if Starmer has broken the rules.

If he has, then he must resign immediately.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,151

nico679 said:

If Starmer receives a FPN he would have to resign . This would put the spotlight on the fact Johnson hasn’t . Of course he has no shame and will try and cling on .

I think - rightly or wrongly - Starmer would stay on, because like the Tories there wouldn't be an obvious successor. None of the factions (even the Corbynites - they need Starmer to lose the next election) in the PLP want a leadership contest anytime soon.
    Come to think of it, I suppose an Yvette Cooper coronation is possible if Starmer did have to go. She's the only possible candidate who'd probably be able to be up to it from the off.
  • Liberal Democrats GAIN Somerset from Conservative.

It is over.
  • Lab gain West Dunbartonshire ... v interesting
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,179
    Tories out in Tunbridge Wells it seems.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,224
    edited May 2022

FPT

@Nigel_Foremain

'You have the ideal result for you IMO. If Labour had done too well, Johnson would be toast and the Tory Party would regenerate itself. This way The Clown most likely remains clinging on by his fingernails maximising the chances of a Labour victory. This does not thrill me, but it should please you. '

My own sentiments exactly, Nigel.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Good to see that the Met Police weren't the only ones respecting purdah, and that Durham Police were doing the same.

The question is now if they will follow the precedence set by the Met and issue a retrospective FPN. Had the Met not done so, they never would have I expect, but they'll be under immense pressure from both directions now.

I'm sure there are many on the way. The cake incident set a very low bar.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    edited May 2022
    I think the next GE is still very much up in the air (unfortunately).

Labour is doing better but I suspect some of this is less to do with Starmer and Labour policies and more to do with the fact they’re the default choice with the Tories self imploding. This does give the Tories a way back in when it comes to the “Crunch” - i.e the moment when the election is called where you have to make up your mind whether you really want to change governments or not.

At this point I can see anything from Lab largest party in hung Parliament to Tory majority of 30 or so. I think the next GE complain is going to be pretty nasty and ill-mannered and the Tories are going to pull out every trick in the book. As I mentioned in the previous thread, I think a lot of the attacks will be targeted at the “woke elite” and there’s a good chance it might just save them in some marginals.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    Cicero said:

There were obviously a number of folk who might describe themselves as "Outraged of Tunbridge Wells"
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited May 2022

Liberal Democrats GAIN Somerset from Conservative.

It is over.

Huh, the Tories had 13 of 50 seats before?

Edit: wrong council, sorry!
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2022
    There's wards where the SNP first pref vote has gone down and they still take a seat of the SCons.

This should spell extreme danger for the SCons at both Westminster and Holyrood, so many of their seats are based on "borrowed" Lib Dem votes.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,721
    WHAT!!!

Election Maps UK
    @ElectionMapsUK
    Middleton Park (Leeds):

SDP: 50.8% (+28.5)
    LAB: 36.1% (-25.0)
    CON: 7.7% (-3.6)
    GRN: 3.9% (New)
    LDM: 1.5% (-3.8)

SDP GAIN from Labour.
    12:50 PM · May 6, 2022
    So with the coppers confirming that they will be investigating SKS I return to my previous suggestion.

Boris Johnson could call a snap election for next month. Kills off leadership talk and he might just buy himself 5 more years on a slender majority. That would be sufficient to ride out the shitstorm which is coming.

If they go to the polls in 2 years they haven't a prayer.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    RobD said:

Good to see that the Met Police weren't the only ones respecting purdah, and that Durham Police were doing the same.

The same low bar that was applied to those two women walking along holding coffees.

Fuck them all - they voted for those stupid rules and now it is fantastic karma that they are the ones (I very much hope) who will be brought down by them.
  • Breaking:

“Following receipt of significant new information...Durham Constabulary has reviewed that position and now...we can confirm that an investigation into potential breaches of Covid-19 regulations relating to this gathering is now being conducted.”
    Heathener said:

BREAKING: Conservatives lose Huntingdonshire to no overall control

The Tories have lost control of another council to no overall control - Huntingdonshire.

It has been in Conservative control since 1976, and is the council of ex-prime minister John Major's former constituency.

https://news.sky.com/story/local-elections-live-news-labour-conservatives-boris-johnson-keir-starmer-politics-latest-12593360

That is a shocker. Huntingdon is about as true blue as, er Westminster. Oh, hang on.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Turns out

WHAT!!!

Election Maps UK
    @ElectionMapsUK
    Middleton Park (Leeds):

SDP GAIN from Labour.

LOL!

I mean, 80s tribute acts are popular. Any Liberal Party wins out there? I miss them.
    edited May 2022
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

The same low bar that was applied to those two women walking along holding coffees.

Fuck them all - they voted for those stupid rules and now it is fantastic karma that they are the ones (I very much hope) who will be brought down by them.
    Yup. Don’t agree with you much on here but the conclusion we have to draw from this is that we must never again pass such draconian laws. And we might need a few politicians to be burnt by those laws for the lesson to sink in.
    edited May 2022

Breaking:

“Following receipt of significant new information...Durham Constabulary has reviewed that position and now...we can confirm that an investigation into potential breaches of Covid-19 regulations relating to this gathering is now being conducted.”

Is “significant new information” police speak for “the same information but a lot of media pressure”?

Not a fan of the press being a factor in whether something is investigated tbh.
    p.s. the BBC are terrible. Absolutely godawful. I mean, compared to Sky for example who have fizz and are light years ahead with results.

The Beeb feel that as custodians of the nation's money they shouldn't broadcast speculative results before they're confirmed. Which is fine in theory but crap in practice. Apart from a few occasions, when a party worker actually at the count tells you they've won or lost it's a fair bet that's it's correct.

And I'm afraid it's probably time dear old John Curtice was retired off.
  • TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Well said! 👍

And Keir wanted to keep those stupid rules for even longer, even after the vaccines had been rolled out, and made a stink about others breaching them.

Sod the lot of them. Boris, Keir, Sturgeon, Drakeford - they all broke the rules, they all imposed/voted for them. They should all go, clear them all out.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    The overnights seem to have flattered the Conservatives, somewhat against expectation. Or expectation here, anyway: several commenters noted that 'it looks bad for the Tories now, but when the better results come in tomorrow, the narrative will already have been established".

While OGH's header is correct - this is not a transfer of power to Labour- it is a dramatic collapse in Tory fortunes.
  • A Labour spokesperson said: “We’re obviously happy to answer any questions there are and we remain clear that no rules were broken.”

If rules were broken, Keir is finished clearly. But as a former DPP he must know one way or the other.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Foxy said:

I have Starmer green as next PM. The biggest threat to the bet is Johnson going down the plughole with the economy before a GE.

Or perhaps him being a man of principle and resigning should he be fined...

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Or fantastic korma, in the case of SKS!
    Can we have naan of those silly puns. It won't help you to curry favour with other posters
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232

Breaking:

The landscape of British politics, perhaps for decades to come, hinges upon these findings. If found innocent Sir Keir lives to fight another day and the next election is up for grabs; found guilty and he will have no choice but to resign, the Corbynites may make a comeback and Boris will be PM until the time of his choosing.
  • biggles said:

Breaking:

Is “significant new information” police speak for “the same information but a lot of media pressure”?

Same thing happened with Downing Street though, so turnabout is fair play.

I'm not religious, but "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" is a good line and Keir has been throwing plenty of stones about cake/alcohol while he knew he was guilty of the same offence so 🤷‍♂️
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    A lot of the Conservative losses are lagging the electoral performance at other levels - like the Southern Democrat congressmen who held on until Obamacare. This is true in a lot of London areas like Wandsworth and even Westminster. So they are more likely to fear losses that may be leading parliamentary losses. However, after 1997 Lib Dems have converted only a few local heartlands to seats, even in 2005-10. So even if local MPs are scared, you can see why Conservative national leaders may treat these Southern losses as a bluff.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Breaking:

Starmer has to go if he accepts an FPN.

This is fantastic news for Johnson however, because even if he gets a slew of FPNs the Starmer revelation takes out the sting. Johnson is further emboldened by the Gray Report having been discredited.

This is superb work by Crosby, the Mail and the Telegraph. Big Dog is saved, Starmer falls!
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    A Labour Party spokesperson said: “We’re obviously happy to answer any questions there are and we remain clear that no rules were broken.”
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1522557754480734208

Wow, deja vu. Have Labour not learnt the lesson from what Boris did?

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Well said! 👍

And Keir wanted to keep those stupid rules for even longer, even after the vaccines had been rolled out, and made a stink about others breaching them.

Sod the lot of them. Boris, Keir, Sturgeon, Drakeford - they all broke the rules, they all imposed/voted for them. They should all go, clear them all out.
    Raise the barricade eh comrade!
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

Scottish parties so far, in terms of numbers of councillors:

Grn +150%
    SLD +70%
    SLab + 17%
    SNP -2%
    Ind -13%
    SCon -21%

Interesting the independents are going down so much - normally you'd expect them to be stable. I wonder if it is because so many are tulchan Tories?
    Probably. Despite the label “Independent”, local people know full-well what party these people are allied with. It is not always Con (eg Orkney or Shetland). When it is Con, these individuals will be punished just like their braver fellow-travellers.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    "Ambushed with a curry and a beer" will be the line by the end of the day lol.
    AlistairM said:

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “We’re obviously happy to answer any questions there are and we remain clear that no rules were broken.”
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1522557754480734208

Wow, deja vu. Have Labour not learnt the lesson from what Boris did?

The longer they keep to that line the worse it looks
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Liberal Democrats to GAIN Somerset from Conservative

Probably even bigger than Hull, at a top of Libdem hopeometer at start of evening.

Probably massive really. Biblical.

I for have cool suggestion Ed, really cool, you like this, don’t use mallet to knock down the blue wall boxes down this time. Use a suitcase with clanking bottles inside.

Then give me all the bottles.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,564

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Vinda-cation for Topping.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Liberal Democrats become the largest party in Tunbridge Wells as the Conservatives lose control

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2022/england/councils/E07000116
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    Cicero said:

Pro business, remainer, small liberal revenge on the rather declasse Johnson Ukipervatives?
    By Election in Holborn and St Pancras?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Alistair said:

There's wards where the SNP first pref vote has gone down and they still take a seat of the SCons.

This should spell extreme danger for the SCons at both Westminster and Holyrood, so many of their seats are based on "borrowed" Lib Dem votes.

Looks like the SLDs have cashed in that loan with interest & penalty clauses.

Does the below mean Alba will be without elected representation, Kenny M & Hanvey aside?

biggles said:

Breaking:

Same thing happened with Downing Street though, so turnabout is fair play.

I'm not religious, but "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" is a good line and Keir has been throwing plenty of stones about cake/alcohol while he knew he was guilty of the same offence so 🤷‍♂️
    Yeah I agree with that. What he did is nothing compared to the “bring your own booze” in the garden nonsense, but is clearly the same as the “birthday party”.
  • Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Rather takes the spice out of the election results.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Breaking:

This is fantastic news for Johnson however, because even if he gets a slew of FPNs the Starmer revelation takes out the sting. Johnson is further emboldened by the Gray Report having been discredited.

This is superb work by Crosby, the Mail and the Telegraph. Big Dog is saved, Starmer falls!
    TBH, I’m with @TOPPING, fuck them all, the draconian rules were stupid beyond belief.

However, If he does get a FPN, Starmer deserves to go, just for being a complete fucking idiot by banging on how BJ’s transgressions when he was doing the same thing himself *

He doesn’t even have BJ’s excuse of being a disorganised prat. He’s a QC and was head of the CPS. Imagine having him as your barrister in a trial. Christ.

Ps maybe Mike should change the title for the header…

* if he is found guilty of course
    The results so far suggest still very little chance of a Labour majority at the next general election.

However a much stronger chance of Starmer becoming PM in a hung parliament with Liberal Democrats support
  • If Keir Starmer broke the rules, he should resign.

Boris Johnson broke the rules. He should resign.

It really is that simple.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    I'm disappointed by the lack of intelligence by Labour on this. If I were trying to accuse an opponent of something publicly, as Labour did Boris over the parties, I would be thinking *very* hard if the same accusations could be used against me. And perhaps even getting legal advice on any events so you can get your story straight, and set the accusations accordingly.

Instead they went all in, when it seems they might have been guilty of similar, or worse.

Johnson's fall in the polls are partly due to partygate, and that was an utterly self-inflicted wound. I'd expect better from a top lawyer such as Starmer.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    HYUFD said:

Liberal Democrats become the largest party in Tunbridge Wells as the Conservatives lose control

You predicted the Tories would lose control. Good spot.
    Alistair said:

I’ve been pointing that out for years, and being routinely ridiculed around here. It is not SNP and SLab VI that SCon strategists ought to worry about, it is SLD VI. If we see significant SCon to SLD tactical unwind in parliamentary elections then the Scottish Tories are totally fucked.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Didn’t we have a few posters on here saying Beergate was not a big issue and voters would see through it?

😀
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

p.s. the BBC are terrible. Absolutely godawful. I mean, compared to Sky for example who have fizz and are light years ahead with results.

The Beeb feel that as custodians of the nation's money they shouldn't broadcast speculative results before they're confirmed. Which is fine in theory but crap in practice. Apart from a few occasions, when a party worker actually at the count tells you they've won or lost it's a fair bet that's it's correct.

They’ve been laughably dire for years. I can’t understand why they seem to find it so difficult to put together an engaging election night/day offering now.

Sky tend to do it a bit better. Neither are a patch on the US networks for the American elections who often have even LESS to work with given the slow pace of their results.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Instant korma's gonna get you.
  • Significant new information that emerged:

🍺 misleading account of guest list and growing size

📸 picture of Met officers at gathering

🥘 £200 order - not including beer

👁‍🗨 witnesses came forward to say they were not contacted

🤷🏻‍♂️ misleading claims nothing else was open
    Tabman said:

Cicero said:

Pro business, remainer, small liberal revenge on the rather declasse Johnson Ukipervatives?
    I suppose it might tell us something about how the next LibDem manifesto will line up (or should line up). A “continuity coalition” policy slate is probably the sweet spot in these seats.
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

You predicted the Tories would lose control. Good spot.
    My parents still live there, as well as being a Remain area there was opposition to local development plans

Carnyx said:

Grn +150%
    SLD +70%
    SLab + 17%
    SNP -2%
    Ind -13%
    SCon -21%

Interesting the independents are going down so much - normally you'd expect them to be stable. I wonder if it is because so many are tulchan Tories?
    Probably. Despite the label “Independent”, local people know full-well what party these people are allied with. It is not always Con (eg Orkney or Shetland). When it is Con, these individuals will be punished just like their braver fellow-travellers.
    Nothing sinister about SNP types. Nope, nothing sinister at all!

If Keir Starmer broke the rules, he should resign.

Yes, but do you think Keir will actually resign though? I don't and just like the Tories the Labour front bench will be too weak to push him out.
    By Election - Ashton-under-Lyne?

Andy Burnham to stand?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,564

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

I don't know about that. Labour's prospects might saag, though.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911
    I may need a new avatar :lol:
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,493

WHAT!!!

Election Maps UK
    @ElectionMapsUK
    Middleton Park (Leeds):

SDP GAIN from Labour.

Yeah I saw that. Previous cllr stood down so no incumbency effect. Still, an interesting result!
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    biggles said:

Breaking:

But it could be they had police present, spoke to detail guarding the revellers, in the same way at least someone knew all through Boris denials in commons that he was lying, just not knowing what to do about it. So do we know who leaked all Partygate and beergate stuff to the media to kick off the investigations. Do we really know 🤔
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    It is me or does the English electoral map look a little bit more like the American one today ie a land divided sharply between never the twain shall meet liberal diverse cities and populist towns/hinterlands?

Sad really.

• TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    biggles said:

Tabman said:

Cicero said:

I suppose it might tell us something about how the next LibDem manifesto will line up (or should line up). A “continuity coalition” policy slate is probably the sweet spot in these seats.
    Absolutely (my personal viewpoint as well as the strategic one). There's far too much authoritarianism around at present in the "main" parties
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459

Breaking:

The landscape of British politics, perhaps for decades to come, hinges upon these findings. If found innocent Sir Keir lives to fight another day and the next election is up for grabs; found guilty and he will have no choice but to resign, the Corbynites may make a comeback and Boris will be PM until the time of his choosing.
    The Corbynites won't make a comeback. That strand of the Labour Party is over for the foreseeable future; a Corbyn tribute act wouldn't get anywhere with the members now (or the MPs for that matter).
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Obviously we need to see what happens - this would actually be very good for Starmer et al if the police say nothing rules were broken - but we're back to the whole issue of "someone who would resign over this wouldn't have broken the rules in the first place". So I would expect Starmer to cling on like Johnson has.
    Well done the Daily Mail.

First Stephen Lawrence killers now ...........
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,493

A Labour spokesperson said: “We’re obviously happy to answer any questions there are and we remain clear that no rules were broken.”

If rules were broken, Keir is finished clearly. But as a former DPP he must know one way or the other.

Well my prediction yesterday that beergate would disappear hasn't aged well...
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232

Breaking:

I think Sir Keir is finished. I can't believe Durham police would have revisited this incident if they weren't under significant pressure to do so from certain quarters. And if they succumbed to the pressure to revisit they will succumb to the pressure to come to a particular verdict.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,608

Heathener said:

They’ve been laughably dire for years. I can’t understand why they seem to find it so difficult to put together an engaging election night/day offering now.

Sky tend to do it a bit better. Neither are a patch on the US networks for the American elections who often have even LESS to work with given the slow pace of their results.
    I am trying to remember a really good documentary about UK elections and the mechanics of same, that I saw years back - black & white, presenter in buttoned over coat. Interviews with the workers at various levels, minor political activists etc.

Surely this kind of stuff would be a good way to "fill out" an election night program? These days, cheap as chips to do.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

I don't know about that. Labour's prospects might saag, though.
    He may wish he’d not been so gobi.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Significant new information that emerged:

🍺 misleading account of guest list and growing size

📸 picture of Met officers at gathering

🥘 £200 order - not including beer

👁‍🗨 witnesses came forward to say they were not contacted

🤷🏻‍♂️ misleading claims nothing else was open

Well, if that's true then it's squeaky bum time for Starmer and Labour.

It's the cover-up that gets you.
    Literally copying everything the Tories did wrong on this. The statements being made by Labour politicians right now are almost identical to what the Tories were.

I'm disappointed by the lack of intelligence by Labour on this. If I were trying to accuse an opponent of something publicly, as Labour did Boris over the parties, I would be thinking *very* hard if the same accusations could be used against me. And perhaps even getting legal advice on any events so you can get your story straight, and set the accusations accordingly.

Instead they went all in, when it seems they might have been guilty of similar, or worse.

Johnson's fall in the polls are partly due to partygate, and that was an utterly self-inflicted wound. I'd expect better from a top lawyer such as Starmer.

Except if they are not guilty. You could consider that. I imagine there will be an investigation and nothing will be found. No fixed penalty. That may well make the story for Johnson worse, as the story then becomes one of a desperate smear to detract from his own wrong doing.
    Gained 43 Councillors and 2 By Elections what a day!!!

Alistair said:

Does the below mean Alba will be without elected representation, Kenny M & Hanvey aside?

It was always going to end thus.

I can see the attraction for a certain type of dedicated, lifelong independence campaigner (eg Kenny). But there is absolutely zero attraction for younger folk and people who are softer on or newly converted to independence (last decade).
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

It is a very serious development BJO.

If Starmer accepts an FPN Starmer must both resign both the leadership and his seat. I hope he doesn't get an FPN as Beergate really isn't a patch on Partygate and misleading the House, but if convicted he must go.

Can your boy Burnham make himself available?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Alba CultistSupporter: Just wait for the council elections, then you'll see out strength.... oh.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,129

Carnyx said:

Grn +150%
    SLD +70%
    SLab + 17%
    SNP -2%
    Ind -13%
    SCon -21%

Nothing sinister about SNP types. Nope, nothing sinister at all!
    But we are talking about the voters doing the flagellating. And they are not SNP voters.
  • FlannerFlanner Posts: 405

Not necessarily. In West Oxfordshire, we have three Independents:
    One's temporarily left the Tories, but has promised to return when Johnson's been fired
    One used to be Labour, but stormed out when Starmer took Corbyn's whip away
    The third left the Tories over a planning dispute, and is now a member of whatever the Farage Party's calling itself this week.

The only thing our Independents share is that they loathe the Tories under Johnson's control more than the LibDems, Labour or Greens do.

Has to be said everyone who was slagging off the Daily Mail need rethink that. They've got a major scalp here even with just an investigation, if Keir gets a FPN then it's all over, that's been the major driving force of public anger with the Tories, if it also spreads to Labour they have got no USP, they are running a "the Tories but less corrupt" play but that only works if they are less corrupt in practice, a FPN for Keir will be 5 points off Labour overnight, at least.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,129
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

There is no purdah in the criminal justice system. If Durham were delaying this til polls were closed then fuck them too.
    Absolutely crazy if police are protecting politicians until after the people have had their say.
    The implication the police are giving is that they are now a political police force. Only reason for purdah.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    MaxPB said:

If Keir Starmer broke the rules, he should resign.

Yes, but do you think Keir will actually resign though? I don't and just like the Tories the Labour front bench will be too weak to push him out.
    I think Starmer would resign if given a FPN . I can’t see it’s possible to have been so critical of Johnson and remain .
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Instant korma's gonna get you.
    D'oh! Piaza
    Farooq said:

There is no purdah in the criminal justice system. If Durham were delaying this til polls were closed then fuck them too.
    Absolutely crazy if police are protecting politicians until after the people have had their say.
    The BBC are reporting that it was deliberately delayed until after the vote.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    edited May 2022
    FPT @Nigelb I understand, thank you. Does that mean they are going to ban contraception that does the same thing, IVF, any research on fertilised eggs. Presumably so.
  • So which rules has KS broken? Anyone want to try and speculate?
This discussion has been closed.