Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A LAB majority NO – but PM Starmer more likely – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    Just looking at the breakdown of the Woking results and they should send a shudder through the Conservative Party. The LibDems didn't just take the council, these results are not even close.

Heathlands, my ward, flipped 1500 LibDem votes to 1000 Conservative with another 400 Green.

I am almost speechless. Those Surrey Conservative MPs are in big trouble. They include Michael Gove, Dominic Raab, Jeremy Hunt, Kwasi Kwarteng, Chris Grayling.

Those of you betting on Hunt to be next tory leader ... if you wait until after the election he might not even be an MP.

https://www.woking.gov.uk/results2022

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,462
    For some reason Harrow council is swinging in the opposite direction to the other London boroughs. A Tory gain is possible.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253

What is going to shock all the parties and all the pundits, how easily the blue wall has crumbled this afternoon.

I suspect, being the big honest people they are, Thrasher and Curtice will appear soon saying they didn’t expect that many Tory losses in England alone.

Totally
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sky news general election projection based on this year's local elections voteshare.

Hung Parliament

Conservatives 278
    Labour 271
    SNP 50
    LDs 28

Is that inclusive of boundary changes?
    Not sure though I doubt it makes a major difference, other than 10 seats either way at most
    I disagree, 10 seats can be important. It adds 20 to a majority and helps in a near hung parliament situation.
    Labour + LDs would still be more than the Conservatives alone either way.

Only difference is the Conservatives plus DUP would be bigger than Labour plus LDs after the boundary changes but Labour plus SNP plus LDs would still be more than Conservatives plus DUP
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,820

I suggested yesterday that purdah for the police was the correct response, but a thoughtful response from ? @Eabhal ? persuaded me to change my mind.

Durham’s announcement that it is re-opening the investigation is very troubling. If they had new evidence they should have investigated earlier. They certainly should not have said the investigation would not be re-opened.

Maybe you should reflect on how you tried to close my comments down which seem that they were very salient
    Bravo

The desperate attempt by Labourites telling you to shut up, move on, there’s nothing to see, was quite a spectacle. And a little bit shameful
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Anecdote from Scotland. Turned up the polling place yesterday to find the staff deep in conversation. "Ah, a voter" and swung into action. There were five candidates to be distributed over 4 STV seats in the constituency.

Don't get the impression anyone is trying very hard.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,801
    Batley & Spen 22 (cf. LE 21, BE21 in brackets)

Con: 33.2 (-6.7, -1.2)
    Lab: 38.6 (-1.0, +4.2)
    LD: 14.7 (+3.1, +11.4)
    Grn: 3.7 (-3.1, +3.7)
    Others: 9.8 (+7.7, -17.1) primarily WPGB in both BE and LE22.

Labour GAIN most LE votes in Constituency from Con
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

Just looking at the breakdown of the Woking results and they should send a shudder through the Conservative Party. The LibDems didn't just take the council, these results are not even close.

Heathlands, my ward, flipped 1500 LibDem votes to 1000 Conservative with another 400 Green.

I am almost speechless. Those Surrey Conservative MPs are in big trouble. They include Michael Gove, Dominic Raab, Jeremy Hunt, Kwasi Kwarteng, Chris Grayling.

Those of you betting on Hunt to be next tory leader ... if you wait until after the election he might not even be an MP.

And here’s another for you, Heathener of the Heathlands

Big Result this

Libdems Winning Here

• Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
     “In October 2019, after members of the national security team assembled in the Situation Room to watch a feed of the raid that killed the Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Stephen Miller proposed securing Mr. al-Baghdadi’s head, dipping it in pig’s blood and parading it around to warn other terrorists, Mr. Esper writes. That would be a ‘war crime,’ Mr. Esper shot “back.”
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

Surrey is no longer safe Tory certainly, it is now a swing Tory v LD county.

Most of Essex and much of the Midlands however have moved from swing areas to reasonably safe Conservative
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    I was a little pessimistic. The SNP have taken an extra 4 seats in Angus but it remains NOC. Just.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That Tory number in the projected vote share is horrific.

After 12 years in power that's about right, the Tories should be getting thumped in local elections. Yet Labour are nowhere, 35% is poor. The Tories were way ahead at this stage pre-2010 and they didn't win a majority.

Labour won't win a majority. That's always been clear. The issue is whether the Tories retain one. What they got yesterday is close to what they got just before May resigned. And this time there is no UKIP/Reform vote to squeeze in a subsequent GE. It seems pretty clear to me that there is a large, solid and motivated anti-Tory vote, and the Tories have a huge job on their hands to turn that around.

The dynamics of a GE will be completely different to a mid term which is generally a good time to give the national party a good kick up the arse. Today's results show that Labour are very, very far away from sealing the deal with the electorate and that they are also very angry with the Tory party. Tory voters simply didn't come out to play in a mid term when little is at stake and the anger is very high. In 2024 a lot will be at stake culturally (Brexit, keeping boys out of dresses and men out of women's changing rooms) and Labour will struggle to differentiate on the economy and are going to be playing a hugely losing hand on the culture war. If they say "women don't have cocks" they lose ultra progressive voters to the Greens, if they say "women do have cocks" a huge number of their core feminist votes stay home.

All of this is going to be set to 11 for months and every time Keir makes a media appearance questions of this kind will be asked and he won't have an answer that doesn't piss of some significant part of the Labour coalition.

I agree that the Tories have absolutely nothing to offer but culture war - that's been clear for a while. I am less inclined to agree that enough voters will buy that if living standards and public services have continued to decline, and Boris Johnson is still in charge. .

But Labour aren't offering anything different on the substantive issues. It's the Ed Miliband blank sheet of paper and we know how that worked out.

As I keep saying, no-one serious is suggesting that Labour will win a majority. The question is whether the Tories will get one. We agree that they will try to by going all out on culture war. I am not sure it will work.

The culture war campaign is the "stand in the polling booth and have a really long think about what you want for the nation", the Tories do this very well. They did it in 1992 and 2015 to great effect during very tough economic climates and Labour offering nothing really different to the Tories on the substantive issues of the day.
    I can see it working. Many voters will conclude that the economy is crocked regardless of who is in charge, so they may as well vote against all the aggravation that the targeted online ads from the Tories will warn them about.
    John Major did it with back to basics and a soapbox, David Cameron did it with smart targeting and goading the Lib Dems to disown all of the coalition wins, Boris or whoever replaces him will do it with smart targeting and forcing Labour to eat shit on cultural issues and Brexit every day.
    Good luck with the Brexit eat s*** theme Actually come to think of it when we harmonise with Trump's food standards that is exactly what we will be doing.
    Have you ever been on holiday to the US? Did you refrain from eating anything? Or did you rigorously check labels and never eat at restaurants?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    Genuine question: why does anyone take any more notice of local election result NEV share, than of any national opinion poll when it comes to figuring out where a general election might end up?
    I would have thought that in national terms a national opinion poll (or average of polls) might in many ways be more accurate.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,863
    FF43 said:

Anecdote from Scotland. Turned up the polling place yesterday to find the staff deep in conversation. "Ah, a voter" and swung into action. There were five candidates to be distributed over 4 STV seats in the constituency.

Anecdote from Edinburgh

Scottish Tory lost by a dozen votes

There were 50 spoiled ballots with X in the box instead of 1
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Heathener said:

I wonder how these results will be interpreted by high command.

A. We are too lefty, not offering the voters a proper blue alternative

B. We are not wearing sandals often enough, and should be eating more muesli.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Most of Essex and much of the Midlands however have moved from swing areas to reasonably safe Conservative
    The slightly less well-off parts of Surrey are still safely Conservative: Spelthorne, Runnymede&Weybridge, Surrey Heath. The LDs won't win any of those types of seats at the GE. The problem is SW Surrey, Epsom&Ewell, etc.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

‘I didn’t believe stories of atrocities in Ukraine. But then I saw the photos
    https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/may/06/ukraine-photos-poland-border-refugees-rape-atrocities
    ...Then a woman in her 70s, who said she was from one of the occupied areas close to Irpin and Bucha, crossed the border with her daughter and great-granddaughter. They were being treated by medical volunteers at the French mission. The daughter, who was in her 50s, had cancer and was very sick. The medics could not believe that someone like this, with a hole in her stomach and no bandages, was so desperate to leave that she would risk travelling for so many hours with no medical support.

The woman told me that her grandson served in a military brigade that had been the first to go into recently liberated areas. She said he took photos of what he had seen. She showed them to me, and it was only then I understood it was worse than I could have ever imagined.

After she saw the photos, she went to the hospital, took out her daughter’s drip, helped her to the car and they took off
    She said that after her grandson had returned from duty, he had come to her house and begged her to leave Ukraine. He told her that women were being raped and killed by Russian troops but she refused to leave. In desperation, he showed her the photos and she knew she had to flee.

One of the photos she showed me was the hanging body of a young girl. She couldn’t have been more than 14...

Fucking orcs.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The significant election is the one no-one's paying any attention to here: Northern Ireland. Hard to read on partial results but it looks like Alliance and TUV both doing very well, UUP and SDLP doing badly and DUP doing badly, but not as catastrophically as some expected.

It seems voters in Northern Ireland are simultaneously becoming more extreme and more moderate.

Is that another way of saying, more anti establishment, anti the usual winners?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Loadypish. Many wards in Edinburgh had turnout > 50%. Almost 1 in 3 have postal votes nowadays.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

My wish yesterday - all of which i said was stretch, was:

- Labour to take Westminster - DONE
    - Ukraine to degrade Black Sea fleet - DONE
    - Alliance to come second in NI - Pending?

Haha.

I think it's very plain the DUP will come second.
    1 result so far. For the Alliance. NI has been stuck in a death knell of religious bigotry for over a century. It would be beyond wonderful if the people there said enough.

One of my long term predix is that Alliance (or something like them) will become the biggest party in NI. Which, as you say, would be great for the province
  • Options
    Heathener said:

What is going to shock all the parties and all the pundits, how easily the blue wall has crumbled this afternoon.

I suspect, being the big honest people they are, Thrasher and Curtice will appear soon saying they didn’t expect that many Tory losses in England alone.

Totally
    This is going from bad to very bad for the Tories. Given the starting point wasn't that brilliant it is arguably extremely bad, way worse than it looked this morning.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,099
    Scott_xP said:

FF43 said:

Anecdote from Edinburgh

Those shouldn't have been spoiled. A clear preference has been indicated by the voter.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Heathener said:

And here’s another for you, Heathener of the Heathlands

Big Result this

Libdems Winning Here

LDs wiped out in Newcastle Under Lyme
  • Options

Ed Davey is an awful public speaker. He should just wave smile and STFU, he'll win more votes that way

A matter of opinion. He has been brilliant all day, looks the part too. But then not too,difficult when competing against Boris.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

IS that because....

The tories are too tory or

The tories are not offering a proper blue low tax free market alternative.

I live in Esher& Walton and for me its definitely the latter. Tory MP, lib dem MP, whats the difference?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sky news general election projection based on this year's local elections voteshare.

Hung Parliament

Conservatives 278
    Labour 271
    SNP 50
    LDs 28

Is that inclusive of boundary changes?
    Not sure though I doubt it makes a major difference, other than 10 seats either way at most
    . .but in a hung Parliament 10 seats makes a hell of a difference.
    It doesn’t on those numbers, the LDs and SNP would still have the balance of power in a hung parliament
    Which would be exquisitely good fun.

• Options
    JonathanBarnesJonathanBarnes Posts: 70
    edited May 2022
    Edinburgh

SNP - 19 seats (-)
    Labour - 13 seats (+1)
    Lib Dems - 12 seats (+6)
    Greens - 10 seats (+2)
    Conservatives - 9 seats (-9)
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Haha.

1 result so far. For the Alliance. NI has been stuck in a death knell of religious bigotry for over a century. It would be beyond wonderful if the people there said enough.

One of my long term predix is that Alliance (or something like them) will become the biggest party in NI. Which, as you say, would be great for the province
    Would be nice to have a secondary party that is non-sectarian.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

The slightly less well-off parts of Surrey are still safely Conservative: Spelthorne, Runnymede&Weybridge, Surrey Heath. The LDs won't win any of those types of seats at the GE. The problem is SW Surrey, Epsom&Ewell, etc.
    Indeed but all of Surrey used to be pretty safe Conservative even in 1997 and 2001 apart from Guildford.

One thing we can also say is the party of the poshest, most affluent areas is no longer the Tories but the Liberal Democrats.

As well as gains in wealthy areas of the Home Counties and SW London, the LDs also gained a seat in Kensington and Chelsea.

The Conservatives however now do as well with the skilled working class as the posh, in some areas better
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Leon said:

I suggested yesterday that purdah for the police was the correct response, but a thoughtful response from ? @Eabhal ? persuaded me to change my mind.

Durham’s announcement that it is re-opening the investigation is very troubling. If they had new evidence they should have investigated earlier. They certainly should not have said the investigation would not be re-opened.

Maybe you should reflect on how you tried to close my comments down which seem that they were very salient
    Bravo

The desperate attempt by Labourites telling you to shut up, move on, there’s nothing to see, was quite a spectacle. And a little bit shameful
    It's more it was boring the pants of everybody, I think.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    FF43 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was entering the nominations for the Scottish councils. For example in Morningside there were 7 candidates for 4 seats, but 2 of them were minor parties very unlikely to win, which meant the whole election was taking place to determine which of Con, Lab, LD, SNP, Green didn't win a seat. 4 out of 5 were almost guaranteed to win.

The average number of candidates per seat in Scotland was just over 2.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    30m
    I know what this platform is like. But the extent to which Keir Starmer supporters are frantically reversing every single position they've adopted on Partygate, now it's their guy under police investigation, is utterly incredible.

===

Now it's Durham police who may be deciding who the next PM is...
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    edited May 2022
    The last time I looked, the Tories had lost 347 councillors in England, Scotland and Wales, with more to come. However, the prevailing narrative on PB seems to be:

1. Labour had an awful day.
    2. Tories had a satisfactory day.
    3. Starmer is a boring leftie metropolitan lawyer with no chance of ever being PM.
    4. If Starmer has to resign, the Labour Party is finished because he was their only chance.

It doesn't quite stack up to me. As I said earlier, I reckon Labour has made decent progress in comparison to the absolute shambles at GE 2019.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,230
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Bravo

It's more it was boring the pants of everybody, I think.
    In general, the louder people shout "NO! STORY! HERE!"....

Bit like people telling you "This argument is boring, The subject is weird. And you are a bad person for asking the question"...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited May 2022

The last time I looked, the Tories had lost 347 councillors in England, Scotland and Wales, with more to come. However, the prevailing narrative on PB seems to be:

3. Starmer is a boring leftie metropolitan lawyer with no chance of ever being PM.
    4. If Starmer has to resign, the Labour Party is finished because he was their only chance.

It doesn't quite stack up to me. As I said earlier, I reckon Labour has made decent progress in comparison to the absolute shambles at GE 2019.

Has anyone actually said 2)

Edit: sneaky edit there!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

One of the principal reasons Boris has a large majority is that he was able to trade off the mountains of votes that they won in the south of England for a lot of votes in the midlands and the North, greatly increasing their vote efficiency. Which is an extremely cunning plan until your base becomes so hollowed out it falls over, just as Scotland did for Labour.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

FF43 said:

Anecdote from Edinburgh

Those shouldn't have been spoiled. A clear preference has been indicated by the voter.
    If it there is more than one cross is should be a spoilt vote although if its just one cross it should be accepted. If there are numbers beside crosses and the voters order of preference us clear it should also be accepted.
  • Options

Ed Davey is an awful public speaker. He should just wave smile and STFU, he'll win more votes that way

A matter of opinion. He has been brilliant all day, looks the part too. But then not too,difficult when competing against Boris.
    Looks the part ? Chairman of the golf club possibly; not PM.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Dewsbury LE 22 (LE 21 in brackets):
    Lab 46.0 (+11.3)
    Con 38.1 (-5.5)
    Green 10.5 (+0.6)
    LD 4.4 (+1.8)
    Others 1.1 (-8.2)

Constituency proposal is also in Labour's favour for 2024.

Lab GAIN most constituency LE votes from Con
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I’m not sure anyone in Surrey would class Surrey Heath and Runnymede/Weybridge as less well off. Spelthorne - absolutely - but that’s a bit of an odd one due to the proximity of London/ Stanwell
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Labour will end up +100 or so, it's rubbish. There's no sugar coating it and now from my previous position of thinking Labour would sneak through with 310-320 seats and go for a minority government it's pretty clear they won't do it. The voters are as unimpressed with Labour as I am and will vote Boris back in with a working majority.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

56 gains from 122 councils in England is slightly disappointing IMO.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

IS that because....

I live in Esher& Walton and for me its definitely the latter. Tory MP, lib dem MP, whats the difference?
    Brexit and the Conservatives are more economically statist than they used to be and less pure classical liberals
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692

FF43 said:

The significant election is the one no-one's paying any attention to here: Northern Ireland. Hard to read on partial results but it looks like Alliance and TUV both doing very well, UUP and SDLP doing badly and DUP doing badly, but not as catastrophically as some expected.

It seems voters in Northern Ireland are simultaneously becoming more extreme and more moderate.

Presumably different people are trending towards moderation and hardline. It's the people that used to vote for respectable ethnic/religious based parties ie, UUP and SDLP, who are moving to Alliance, while the hardcore republicans and unionists (Sinn Féin and DUP) are doubling down and in the latter case partly moving to TUV
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

One of the principal reasons Boris has a large majority is that he was able to trade off the mountains of votes that they won in the south of England for a lot of votes in the midlands and the North, greatly increasing their vote efficiency. Which is an extremely cunning plan until your base becomes so hollowed out it falls over, just as Scotland did for Labour.
    OK but what policy choices, specifically, are turning off voters in Surrey?
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

No update on Wakefield site since 1pm. Have the counters gone out for a beer and a curry?

Leeds seems to have slowed down too. Recounts?
    Looking at how the results are coming in, it looks to me like count and declare first half, count and declare second half.
  • Options

Sky GE 24 projection

278 conservative - 271 labour - 50 SNP - 28 lib dem - 23 other

I'd take that quite happily.
    Recipe for a one term Labour led coalition.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/may/06/ukraine-photos-poland-border-refugees-rape-atrocities
    ...Then a woman in her 70s, who said she was from one of the occupied areas close to Irpin and Bucha, crossed the border with her daughter and great-granddaughter. They were being treated by medical volunteers at the French mission. The daughter, who was in her 50s, had cancer and was very sick. The medics could not believe that someone like this, with a hole in her stomach and no bandages, was so desperate to leave that she would risk travelling for so many hours with no medical support.

The woman told me that her grandson served in a military brigade that had been the first to go into recently liberated areas. She said he took photos of what he had seen. She showed them to me, and it was only then I understood it was worse than I could have ever imagined.

After she saw the photos, she went to the hospital, took out her daughter’s drip, helped her to the car and they took off
    She said that after her grandson had returned from duty, he had come to her house and begged her to leave Ukraine. He told her that women were being raped and killed by Russian troops but she refused to leave. In desperation, he showed her the photos and she knew she had to flee.

One of the photos she showed me was the hanging body of a young girl. She couldn’t have been more than 14...

Oh God. Sometimes I want us to nuke Russia
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Presumably different people are trending towards moderation and hardline. It's the people that used to vote for respectable ethnic/religious based parties ie, UUP and SDLP, who are moving to Alliance, while the hardcore republicans and unionists (Sinn Féin and DUP) are doubling down and in the latter case partly moving to TUV
    If you are saying it’s not sounding great, it isn’t is it. 😕
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes, lots of people on here and elsewhere, usually couched as "much better results for the Tories than we feared", which I reckon fits with satisfactory.
  • Options
    NickyBreakspearNickyBreakspear Posts: 686
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    MISTY said:

Heathener said:

I wonder how these results will be interpreted by high command.

A. We are too lefty, not offering the voters a proper blue alternative

B. We are not wearing sandals often enough, and should be eating more muesli.
    C: Johnson is costing us here but propping us up elsewhere. What's the net net with him?

This will be the key question, I reckon.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Sky GE 24 projection

More thinking Tories should take that happily as well. The party needs a period in opposition to sort itself out and move on from Johnson's antics.
  • Options

Edinburgh

SNP - 19 seats (-)
    Labour - 13 seats (+1)
    Lib Dems - 12 seats (+6)
    Greens - 10 seats (+2)
    Conservatives - 9 seats (-9)

I can't help feeling that the Scottish Tory performance would have been slightly less disastrous if Douglas Ross had not rowed back on his position that Boris should resign.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,863

They argued the point. And lost.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

IS that because....

Brexit and the Conservatives are more economically statist than they used to be and less pure classical liberals
    Listening to Ed Davey these lib dems seem pretty statist to me....but there it is...
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes, lots of people on here and elsewhere, usually couched as "much better results for the Tories than we feared", which I reckon fits with satisfactory.
    When I wrote the comment it wasn't satisfactory ;)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scottish parties so far, in terms of numbers of councillors:

Grn +150%
    SLD +70%
    SLab + 17%
    SNP -2%
    Ind -13%
    SCon -21%

Interesting the independents are going down so much - normally you'd expect them to be stable. I wonder if it is because so many are tulchan Tories?
    Probably. Despite the label “Independent”, local people know full-well what party these people are allied with. It is not always Con (eg Orkney or Shetland). When it is Con, these individuals will be punished just like their braver fellow-travellers.
    Nothing sinister about SNP types. Nope, nothing sinister at all!
    But we are talking about the voters doing the flagellating. And they are not SNP voters.
    Carnyx, Foreskin is a bigoted red faced gammony arsewipe. He hates Scotland , a turnip of the highest order.
    The biggest and thickest windbag balloon to ever grace the site, one can only hope he has a puncture and F***s off.
    Hello Malky, I was being polite ...

Noit too much rain over here, just topping up the barrel for Mrs C's weekend gardening. Looks as if you had a lot more over there.
    Carnyx, bit miserable in morning but sun out now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Labour certainly underperforming in Scotland versus expectations.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

56 gains from 122 councils in England is slightly disappointing IMO.
    Yes, it is, and I didn't say it wasn't. I'm merely pointing out that the Tories have lost at least 350 (more to come) thus far, so it isn't exactly great for them. And there are some rays of light for Labour.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

After 12 years in power that's about right, the Tories should be getting thumped in local elections. Yet Labour are nowhere, 35% is poor. The Tories were way ahead at this stage pre-2010 and they didn't win a majority.

Labour won't win a majority. That's always been clear. The issue is whether the Tories retain one. What they got yesterday is close to what they got just before May resigned. And this time there is no UKIP/Reform vote to squeeze in a subsequent GE. It seems pretty clear to me that there is a large, solid and motivated anti-Tory vote, and the Tories have a huge job on their hands to turn that around.

The dynamics of a GE will be completely different to a mid term which is generally a good time to give the national party a good kick up the arse. Today's results show that Labour are very, very far away from sealing the deal with the electorate and that they are also very angry with the Tory party. Tory voters simply didn't come out to play in a mid term when little is at stake and the anger is very high. In 2024 a lot will be at stake culturally (Brexit, keeping boys out of dresses and men out of women's changing rooms) and Labour will struggle to differentiate on the economy and are going to be playing a hugely losing hand on the culture war. If they say "women don't have cocks" they lose ultra progressive voters to the Greens, if they say "women do have cocks" a huge number of their core feminist votes stay home.

All of this is going to be set to 11 for months and every time Keir makes a media appearance questions of this kind will be asked and he won't have an answer that doesn't piss of some significant part of the Labour coalition.

I agree that the Tories have absolutely nothing to offer but culture war - that's been clear for a while. I am less inclined to agree that enough voters will buy that if living standards and public services have continued to decline, and Boris Johnson is still in charge. .

But Labour aren't offering anything different on the substantive issues. It's the Ed Miliband blank sheet of paper and we know how that worked out.

As I keep saying, no-one serious is suggesting that Labour will win a majority. The question is whether the Tories will get one. We agree that they will try to by going all out on culture war. I am not sure it will work.

The culture war campaign is the "stand in the polling booth and have a really long think about what you want for the nation", the Tories do this very well. They did it in 1992 and 2015 to great effect during very tough economic climates and Labour offering nothing really different to the Tories on the substantive issues of the day.
    I can see it working. Many voters will conclude that the economy is crocked regardless of who is in charge, so they may as well vote against all the aggravation that the targeted online ads from the Tories will warn them about.
    John Major did it with back to basics and a soapbox, David Cameron did it with smart targeting and goading the Lib Dems to disown all of the coalition wins, Boris or whoever replaces him will do it with smart targeting and forcing Labour to eat shit on cultural issues and Brexit every day.
    I think the more they shut up about Brexit the better they will be. With the exception of the majorly braindead (who will probably vote Conservative anyway), most voters realise it was an expensive waste of time. It will hardly help bring back votes from those who have defected to the LDs
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Fair point - I did an edit, but before I saw your comment!
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Where I live in Eastleigh is a great and somewhat mad example of how Local Election results are different to GE results. Out of 39 councillors, 34 are LDs, and its been this way for years. Yet we have a Tory MP with a 15000 majority.
  • Options
    TheGreenMachineTheGreenMachine Posts: 1,043
    NORTHERN IRELAND UPDATE:

Sinn Fein Have Seven MLAs elected so far including Gerry Kelly (Belfast North) and Michelle O'Neill (Mid Ulster).
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Where I live in Eastleigh is a great and somewhat mad example of how Local Election results are different to GE results. Out of 39 councillors, 34 are LDs, and its been this way for years. Yet we have a Tory MP with a 15000 majority.

You had a LD MP though from 1994 to 2015
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fair point - I did an edit, but before I saw your comment!
    I think it's the way the quote button works. It grabs the latest version of the comment from the server, which can be different than what appears on the screen, especially if you are reading through a lot of comments and some time has elapsed.
  • Options

Aslan said:

Sky GE 24 projection

More thinking Tories should take that happily as well. The party needs a period in opposition to sort itself out and move on from Johnson's antics.
    And the smaller the hurdle for bouncing back, the smarter taking the time out before it becomes a 2 or 3 election thing.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

IS that because....

Listening to Ed Davey these lib dems seem pretty statist to me....but there it is...
    Davey is though an Orange Book LD and also opposed Brexit
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,652
    edited May 2022

1. Labour have had a disappointing day.
    2. Tories have had a poor, but entirely expected midterms day.
    3. Starmer is a boring leftie metropolitan lawyer with low chance of ever being PM.
    4. Lib Dems have had a pretty good day.

Going from shambolic to disappointing might be considered decent progress, but not much more than that.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I don't live there so I can't really say but if you look at the areas who have now voted Lib Dem and those who voted remain there seems to be quite a close correlation: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36618907
    Those who voted to leave have stayed more with the Tories. The divisions of the referendum are still with us. The challenge of the government is to move past those issues but instead they seem to double down on them.
  • Options

NORTHERN IRELAND UPDATE:

Sinn Fein Have Seven MLAs elected so far including Gerry Kelly (Belfast North) and Michelle O'Neill (Mid Ulster).

Any projection from results who tops the poll?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think the more they shut up about Brexit the better they will be. With the exception of the majorly braindead (who will probably vote Conservative anyway), most voters realise it was an expensive waste of time. It will hardly help bring back votes from those who have defected to the LDs
    They won't. It will be done with targeted advertising, the leadership and MPs will say very little about it yet people will have the impression that Labour will be ready to join the Euro and let in 10 million immigrants.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MISTY said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I don't live there so I can't really say but if you look at the areas who have now voted Lib Dem and those who voted remain there seems to be quite a close correlation: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36618907
    Those who voted to leave have stayed more with the Tories. The divisions of the referendum are still with us. The challenge of the government is to move past those issues but instead they seem to double down on them.
    Of course roughly twice as many seats voted Leave than Remain so keeping those divisions might be cynically smart politics.

I'm not convinced.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561

3. Starmer is a boring leftie metropolitan lawyer with low chance of ever being PM.

Going from shambolic to disappointing might be considered decent progress, but not much more than that.
    It's all irrelevant, the cost of living crisis is going to screw the Tories by the next GE anyway.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

If Keir is toppled somehow, then depending on how he is toppled, I’d suggest it would be a net positive for Labour.

He has done the hard and thankless work of ridding the party of the loony left and should now hand over to someone who looks like they care about winning elections.

Smith to Blair

Starmer to ????
    Anas anxiously awaiting the call
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590
    edited May 2022
    MIdlothian in - SNP 8, Lab+ Lab/coop 7, Tories 3 (was Labour largest before). NOC still, but SNP become largest.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Jonathan said:

It is delightful seeing Labour control Worthing and Crawley in West Sussex.

Both have Tory constituencies at Westminster level I think.
    Has anyone seen a decent list of MPs whose seats might be at risk on the basis of these local election results?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    DavidL said:

MISTY said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Because of Brexit, it will be a cold day in Hell before I ever vote Tory again.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scottish parties so far, in terms of numbers of councillors:

Grn +150%
    SLD +70%
    SLab + 17%
    SNP -2%
    Ind -13%
    SCon -21%

Interesting the independents are going down so much - normally you'd expect them to be stable. I wonder if it is because so many are tulchan Tories?
    Probably. Despite the label “Independent”, local people know full-well what party these people are allied with. It is not always Con (eg Orkney or Shetland). When it is Con, these individuals will be punished just like their braver fellow-travellers.
    Nothing sinister about SNP types. Nope, nothing sinister at all!
    But we are talking about the voters doing the flagellating. And they are not SNP voters.
    Carnyx, Foreskin is a bigoted red faced gammony arsewipe. He hates Scotland , a turnip of the highest order.
    The biggest and thickest windbag balloon to ever grace the site, one can only hope he has a puncture and F***s off.
    Hello Malky, I was being polite ...

Noit too much rain over here, just topping up the barrel for Mrs C's weekend gardening. Looks as if you had a lot more over there.
    Carnyx, bit miserable in morning but sun out now.
    Dear Malcolm

I see you're still suffering from psychological projection dear, and the anger management programme has still failed you. Tell us what your real problems are? Perhaps you are not really Scottish at all, but *identify* as such? A kind of nationalistic "trans*? Maybe that explains your bigotry regarding trans people (one of your many bigotry problems).

And for the record, I don't hate Scotland, I don't even hate you, I leave the hating to the sad little twats like yourself. In fact I feel really really sorry for you. You call others "thick" and yet your posts do suggest that even for a nationalist you are a creature that is only slightly more intellectual than an amoeba. Have a lovely day and keep taking the tablets. Love and kisses (on your homophobic lips) N xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    Have we had any ties yet? Love a good electoral tie .Personally think they should do rock paper scissors to determine a winner
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

The scale and intensity of the horrors are beyond comprehension. They don't even have the excuse that the Soviet army had in 1945, of having been brutalised by what had been done to them, or the exhaustion and sheer fear of US soldiers in the latter years of Vietnam. Nor do they have the kind of perverted logic which motivated Nazi horrors in WWII (and I don't think the Wehrmacht was like this).It's not even as though they have been torturing to get information, it seems to be torture, rape, mutilation and murder just for the sake of it.

What is clear is that no-one in Ukraine, or, if it comes to it, anywhere else in Eastern Europe, is going to do anything other than fight to the death if necessary against Russia. They're not going to surrender or sign some imposed 'peace' treaty.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,941
    Cumbria is a truly horrendous double for the Conservatives. They have 4 out 5 sitting MP's yet have been utterly shellacked.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    rkrkrk said:

Jonathan said:

Has anyone seen a decent list of MPs whose seats might be at risk on the basis of these local election results?
    John Redwood, IDS, Peter Bottomley, Nicky Aitken, Jonathan Lord, the Barnet Tory MPs amongst others. Maybe even Greg Clarke. Plus a few redwall MPs in areas like Hartlepool.

The Enfield Labour MPs might be a bit nervous on the other hand as might Sunderland MPs
  • Options

DavidL said:

MISTY said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Because of Brexit, it will be a cold day in Hell before I ever vote Tory again.
    Brexit is a total irrelevance, Covid and Ukraine will impact your life, Brexit is just yesterday's noise
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Dewsbury LE 22 (LE 21 in brackets):
    Lab 46.0 (+11.3)
    Con 38.1 (-5.5)
    Green 10.5 (+0.6)
    LD 4.4 (+1.8)
    Others 1.1 (-8.2)

Constituency proposal is also in Labour's favour for 2024.

Lab GAIN most constituency LE votes from Con
    To complete the Kirklees marginals set:

Colne Valley LE 22 (change from LE21)

Lab 36.4 (+4.2)
    Con: 31.8 (-3.6)
    LD: 18.9 (+1.6)
    Green: 6.4 (-0.8)
    Others: 6.5 (-1.4)

The proposed boundaries would strip Labour's 1500 lead to under 100, so LD switching would be vital.

Lab GAIN LE most votes from Con

If Wakefield comes home, that will be 5/5 LE most vote gains from my watch list.

At the moment this looks a lot like 2017 in the north.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    HYUFD said:

You had a LD MP though from 1994 to 2015
    I know, but 3 elections since then have seen huge swings to the tories but with very little change to the make up of the Council.

The other thing to note is that this LD council has given lots of planning approvals for new houses, many villages round here have been building sites for the past 5 years with 100s of new houses built. There are lots of letters complaining about it in the local press yet it has not affected the make up of the Council.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2022

Have we had any ties yet? Love a good electoral tie .Personally think they should do rock paper scissors to determine a winner

Yes, Crackley and Red Street, Newcastle under Lyme - second seat decided by lot:

https://twitter.com/NewsNBC/status/1522543263571496963
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Jonathan said:

Yes - Henry Smith (Crawley) and Tim Loughton (Worthing East + Shoreham). Both will be very nervous; the latter, I think, is doomed given the trend of Brighton spillover to Shoreham and East Worthing.
  • Options

Have you been looking at Facebook today, or have you been asked to say that by CCHQ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Haha.

Would be nice to have a secondary party that is non-sectarian.
    We're often told people in northern Ireland are sick of the sectarian politics. Perhaps they could evidence that.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977
    Aslan said:

“In October 2019, after members of the national security team assembled in the Situation Room to watch a feed of the raid that killed the Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Stephen Miller proposed securing Mr. al-Baghdadi’s head, dipping it in pig’s blood and parading it around to warn other terrorists, Mr. Esper writes. That would be a ‘war crime,’ Mr. Esper shot “back.”

Which is why internal government deliberations should remain secret

It may have been a joke in poor taste. It may have been a serious suggestion. We don’t know.

If it was a seriously a suggestion it was immediately shot down and not pursued. I assume that Miller (who he?) did not know it was a war crime. As he was a speech writer perhaps he would not necessarily know precisely what was a war crime (although he should have known it was a stupid idea). But I am glad that all ideas could be raised and considered as that is a good was to avoid groupthink
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633

Perfectly legal. I believe there was one done by drawn lots early in the morning.
  • Options
    Harrow — Conservative gain from Labour.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

They won't. It will be done with targeted advertising, the leadership and MPs will say very little about it yet people will have the impression that Labour will be ready to join the Euro and let in 10 million immigrants.
    The gullible will always be gullible, and while it worked in 2016, I am not sure cynicism always works.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Medieval levels of barbarism.

What are these kids - and it seems to be a lot of conscripted very young kids in RU army - like in home life that this kind of depravity comes so easily?
  • Options

Leon said:

The scale and intensity of the horrors are beyond comprehension. They don't even have the excuse that the Soviet army had in 1945, of having been brutalised by what had been done to them, or the exhaustion and sheer fear of US soldiers in the latter years of Vietnam. Nor do they have the kind of perverted logic which motivated Nazi horrors in WWII (and I don't think the Wehrmacht was like this).It's not even as though they have been torturing to get information, it seems to be torture, rape, mutilation and murder just for the sake of it.

What is clear is that no-one in Ukraine, or, if it comes to it, anywhere else in Eastern Europe, is going to do anything other than fight to the death if necessary against Russia. They're not going to surrender or sign some imposed 'peace' treaty.
    I completely agree. And you put it very eloquently. I’m almost too horrified to write words down. From that same Guardian article linked by @Nigelb

“She said her grandson told her he was walking through the woods looking for dead bodies left by the Russians and lifted his head and saw these girls strung from the trees, all of them very young. They were naked and torn up. She said he had passed on the photos to investigators in Ukraine who were gathering evidence of war crimes.”

How do you begin to deal with this? It makes me tremble with anger and I’m not even Ukrainian. What will Olga’s brother inside Russia do when he reads this?

Putin’s Russia is Satanic. It must be utterly vanquished. The danger is that so many in Eastern Europe will want revenge beyond victory, they will want to see Russia and Russians SUFFER. And who can blame them
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Would Johnsons seat be a goner?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

Leon said:

I never understood the logic of this behaviour. As a coward I would not hesitate to surrender if I thought I was going to be well treated and I was in a sticky situation, but if I thought I was going to be tortured or killed I wouldn't.
  • Options

Almost the first result to be declared last night was a tie.

Halton: Daresbury, Moore & Sandymoor.

Con 399* [elected by drawing lots]
    Lab 398
    Green 372

https://hbcnewsroom.co.uk/council-election-results/
This discussion has been closed.