Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A LAB majority NO – but PM Starmer more likely – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Heathener said:

Suspect some of the excitable comments about vote share may be ignoring how well the LibDems have done as tactical voting takes hold.

Labour-LibDem on 54% is a terrific anti-tory vote.

Look at the way Surrey and Somerset are turning yellow. Wow.

Yes, the big story is tactical voting returning in a BIG way. Nightmare scenario for the Tories.
    Ahem, it never went away...

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/01/23/analysing-labour-lib-dem-tactical-voting-since-1983/

Ultimately it comes down to the Tory share.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

DavidL said:

Tempting though it is I resolve to remain consistent on this. The Met investigation of Parygate should never have happeed. Ms Gray's investigation certainly and the relevaant committees of the HoC, but not the police who should stay out of politics. Durham police should have done the same.

Of course it should have happened. The police are there to investigate and uphold the law. That is the same whether the accused are politicians or plebs.
    Lots of people on this forum, myself included have admitted breaking some of the lockdown laws on occasion. Should we all be investigated too?
    We didn't vote for or impose the rules.

Lawmakers should be held to a higher standard.
    If Starmer is exonerated though, it would have been better for Tories and mail not to have had the investigation.

It’s like in Abbey Quest - Nun Run 2 when you have the Malignant Fetish Weapon in your bag, but use up all its Karma 😕.

I’m drifting in and out of consciousness not sure my posts making any sense here. Should I stop?
    Would you?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965

I have just heard that Durham Police are to investigate Starmer over beergate and I would just comment to all those who criticised me for commenting on it and relating information as it was placed in the media that they should reflect on those attacks

I am not vindictive but do believe the law should be applied equally whether it is in Durham or the Met

You have been proven correct. If Starmer gets an FPN (eating humble pie here for the millionth time) he has to resign. I am conflicted in that he should perhaps go on news of the investigation, he is damaged beyond repair. Wakefield is lost!

All of Johnson's future FPNs are now neutralised and he does not now need to go. Big Dog is saved BigG.
    A possibility - Starmer gets an FPN. Given that Boris will nearly certainly get one... what if Starmer uses any such FPN as a way to pull down Boris with him - "I am resigning on principle. Does he have any? " etc etc?
    Well yes, exactly. I made this point earlier, but Mexican is indulging in his usual eeyoreish hyperbole on this matter.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,282

Carnyx said:

sarissa said:

nico679 said:

Somerset is officially a bloodbath for the Tories . The Lib Dems are doing extremely well .

Edinburgh ditto.
    Partchy. Just noticed Colinton/Fairmilehead: just dumped a Tory for a SNP councillor, no LDs elected at all as LD vote not enough to displace a somewhat reduced SNP vote. Slkightly puzzling as lots of owneroccupier housing IIRC.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1522560953107329024?cxt=HHwWgMC97dbHnKEqAAAA
    Very odd. SNP vote down 3 points but gain a councillor. Without digging through the details (which are probably not available yet) I assume that tons of SLab voters voted SNP 2nd pref, or at least a pref ahead of SCon.

I was brought up in the neighbouring area and know both Colinton and Fairmilehead very well. Used to be solid Tory back in the 80s.
    I lived in Fairmilehead in the 1960s
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Borders count complete:

Con 14 -1
    SNP 9 nc
    Ind 7 -1
    LD 3 +1
    Grn 1 +1

18 needed for a majority, so looks like the Independents are the kingmakers.
  • Options

If Keir is toppled somehow, then depending on how he is toppled, I’d suggest it would be a net positive for Labour.

He has done the hard and thankless work of ridding the party of the loony left and should now hand over to someone who looks like they care about winning elections.

Smith to Blair

Starmer to ????
    Someone who lived through the pandemic in monastic solitude.
    I do not seek power for myself, but if my country calls me...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

sarissa said:

nico679 said:

Somerset is officially a bloodbath for the Tories . The Lib Dems are doing extremely well .

Edinburgh ditto.
    Partchy. Just noticed Colinton/Fairmilehead: just dumped a Tory for a SNP councillor, no LDs elected at all as LD vote not enough to displace a somewhat reduced SNP vote. Slkightly puzzling as lots of owneroccupier housing IIRC.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1522560953107329024?cxt=HHwWgMC97dbHnKEqAAAA
    Very odd. SNP vote down 3 points but gain a councillor. Without digging through the details (which are probably not available yet) I assume that tons of SLab voters voted SNP 2nd pref, or at least a pref ahead of SCon.

I was brought up in the neighbouring area and know both Colinton and Fairmilehead very well. Used to be solid Tory back in the 80s.
    Mm, yes, it is pretty much bungalowland. And probably not enough Greens to make a difference.

But as any fule sa Labour voters are always Unionist. (Not really.)
    A reliable rule of thumb is that approx one third of SLab voters are pro-independence, one third are diehard Unionists, and a third are fairly neutral/swing voters on the constitutional question. They’re mixed up kids.
    Did you see my post on the BUP win BTW?
    Nope
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832

National Projected Share from Sir John Curtice

Lab 35
    Con 30
    Ld 19

Brilliant for LDS OK for LAB Bad for CON

Okay for Lab? You changed your tune.

But it’s not over yet. This has to be interim.

Then the speculation about Lab 35, ld 19, others 16 ganging up on Tories in general election can begin.
    My gut feeling, at 1425 with it still not over, if this was General election night, it would by a right messy picture, but a hung Parliament with Boris biggest party.

But of course, tactical voting can transform such a thing.
    I was forecasting 35/32/16 so a fair way out

Presumably you know the Projected National Share for Lab/Con in 2018 was 35/35

Curtis actually said just now "Lab is at same level as Corbyn and there is no evidence SKS on LE2022 numbers that he can attract additional voters that Corbyn couldnt as he said he could"
    [sigh]

Look at the number of councillors won by everyone.

psephologists been saying for weeks that in 2018 Labour had a bit of a “meh” result at the time, but considering everything that has happened in the same territory since, 2018 was bloody good, just holding 2018, just standing still, is a far better result than those which have happened since.

In other words, if at the 2019 general election Labour had got those 2018 votes they wouldn’t have melted down to that degree. It’s boring. And it’s not a sexy headline. But it’s actually true. Its not Captain hindsight electionolgy today, they told us this last week labour don’t have to blitz it for a good night. It’s the sort of thing here on PB we should have enough respect for on a betting site to agree about, and educate the rest of the world. Though I appreciate some people just got more partisan views than others and can’t acknowledge all the truth sometimes.

Secondly, Where a whole council isn’t up at once, but thirds over 4 years, direct comparisons with four years ago isn’t the whole story. What has happened in between plays a part in a distinct local narrative. Last week HY said Starmer needs to take Swindon. When you look into it Tories had such an excellent result there last year, taking seats that forever have been Labour, in all fairness it actually takes a few elections to work back from such bad years? You screaming “they havn’t made much progress like in Dudley, they need to be blitzing it” Labour in Dudley all smiles with progress they have made. Same in Peterborough. Etc. Etc.
    2018 was not "bloody good" for Labour. The Conservatives were ahead by 0-1%. So much commentary on local elections assumes that the governing party is never going to recover ground between mid-term and the next general election. And, they invariably do.

Labour frequently led in local elections between 1979 - 92, and 2011-14.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,421

I have just heard that Durham Police are to investigate Starmer over beergate and I would just comment to all those who criticised me for commenting on it and relating information as it was placed in the media that they should reflect on those attacks

I am not vindictive but do believe the law should be applied equally whether it is in Durham or the Met

You have been proven correct. If Starmer gets an FPN (eating humble pie here for the millionth time) he has to resign. I am conflicted in that he should perhaps go on news of the investigation, he is damaged beyond repair. Wakefield is lost!

All of Johnson's future FPNs are now neutralised and he does not now need to go. Big Dog is saved BigG.
    A possibility - Starmer gets an FPN. Given that Boris will nearly certainly get one... what if Starmer uses any such FPN as a way to pull down Boris with him - "I am resigning on principle. Does he have any? " etc etc?
    We know the answer to that one. He doesn't.

Question is whether Stamer going would shame Conservative MPs into chucking Big Dog down the well.

Wonder when we'll get an update from the Met.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Heathener said:

Suspect some of the excitable comments about vote share may be ignoring how well the LibDems have done as tactical voting takes hold.

Yes, the big story is tactical voting returning in a BIG way. Nightmare scenario for the Tories.
    There’s going to be so many PB threads and arguments over this, because the answer is, no one really knows till election night.

But yes. It could make all the difference in getting a change of government, from a rather long way behind position.
  • Options
    TheGreenMachineTheGreenMachine Posts: 1,043
    NORTHERN IRELAND UPDATE:

Kellie Armstrong (Alliance) has topped the poll in Strangford.

Alex Easton (Ind Unionist) has topped the poll within North Down.

Deirdre Hargey (SF) has topped the poll in Belfast South.

More to follow.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited May 2022
    Starmer hasn't even done as well as Kinnock in 1985

Con 32% Lab 39%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_United_Kingdom_local_elections

This is a really, really poor result for Labour and a warning sign... I think it's even possible Con might win in 2023 or 2024 with another pretty big majority based on this local election performance from Labour.
  • Options

My wish yesterday - all of which i said was stretch, was:

- Labour to take Westminster - DONE
    - Ukraine to degrade Black Sea fleet - DONE
    - Alliance to come second in NI - Pending?

Haha.

I think it's very plain the DUP will come second.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

sarissa said:

nico679 said:

Edinburgh ditto.

Mm, yes, it is pretty much bungalowland. And probably not enough Greens to make a difference.

A reliable rule of thumb is that approx one third of SLab voters are pro-independence, one third are diehard Unionists, and a third are fairly neutral/swing voters on the constitutional question. They’re mixed up kids.
    Nope

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20120116.british-unionist-party-take-seat-tories-north-lanarkshire/
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    Farooq said:

nico679 said:

MaxPB said:

If Keir Starmer broke the rules, he should resign.

Boris Johnson broke the rules. He should resign.

It really is that simple.

Yes, but do you think Keir will actually resign though? I don't and just like the Tories the Labour front bench will be too weak to push him out.
    I think Starmer would resign if given a FPN . I can’t see it’s possible to have been so critical of Johnson and remain .
    If Starmer goes then Labour are screwed.
    If Starmer gets an FPN Labour are screwed.

Johnson wins either way.
    What did Napoleon say about lucky generals?
    I don't know, but I do know that a lot of people think he died because of his wallpaper
    What happened? Heart attack after getting the bill from Lulu?
  • Options

Farooq said:

nico679 said:

MaxPB said:

If Keir Starmer broke the rules, he should resign.

Boris Johnson broke the rules. He should resign.

It really is that simple.

Yes, but do you think Keir will actually resign though? I don't and just like the Tories the Labour front bench will be too weak to push him out.
    I think Starmer would resign if given a FPN . I can’t see it’s possible to have been so critical of Johnson and remain .
    If Starmer goes then Labour are screwed.
    If Starmer gets an FPN Labour are screwed.

Johnson wins either way.
    What did Napoleon say about lucky generals?
    I don't know, but I do know that a lot of people think he died because of his wallpaper
    What happened? Heart attack after getting the bill from Lulu?
    It was too toxic.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Heathener said:

This sort of thing often happens in local elections and by-elections - much less often in General elections.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 781

Unpopular said:

If Keir is toppled somehow, then depending on how he is toppled, I’d suggest it would be a net positive for Labour.

He has done the hard and thankless work of ridding the party of the loony left and should now hand over to someone who looks like they care about winning elections.

Smith to Blair

Starmer to ????
    From what I've seen, I really rate Streeting but I still think Starmer has a way to go yet. Unfortunately, Streeting's penis probably rules him out. I think the Labour party is desperate to choose a woman.
    They don't seem to, you know, actually vote for them in leadership elections though.....
    Undeniably true. I just think the (self imposed) pressure to have a female leader will be overwhelming.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Lab 35
    Con 30
    Ld 19

Then the speculation about Lab 35, ld 19, others 16 ganging up on Tories in general election can begin.
    My gut feeling, at 1425 with it still not over, if this was General election night, it would by a right messy picture, but a hung Parliament with Boris biggest party.

Curtis actually said just now "Lab is at same level as Corbyn and there is no evidence SKS on LE2022 numbers that he can attract additional voters that Corbyn couldnt as he said he could"
    [sigh]

psephologists been saying for weeks that in 2018 Labour had a bit of a “meh” result at the time, but considering everything that has happened in the same territory since, 2018 was bloody good, just holding 2018, just standing still, is a far better result than those which have happened since.

In other words, if at the 2019 general election Labour had got those 2018 votes they wouldn’t have melted down to that degree. It’s boring. And it’s not a sexy headline. But it’s actually true. Its not Captain hindsight electionolgy today, they told us this last week labour don’t have to blitz it for a good night. It’s the sort of thing here on PB we should have enough respect for on a betting site to agree about, and educate the rest of the world. Though I appreciate some people just got more partisan views than others and can’t acknowledge all the truth sometimes.

Secondly, Where a whole council isn’t up at once, but thirds over 4 years, direct comparisons with four years ago isn’t the whole story. What has happened in between plays a part in a distinct local narrative. Last week HY said Starmer needs to take Swindon. When you look into it Tories had such an excellent result there last year, taking seats that forever have been Labour, in all fairness it actually takes a few elections to work back from such bad years? You screaming “they havn’t made much progress like in Dudley, they need to be blitzing it” Labour in Dudley all smiles with progress they have made. Same in Peterborough. Etc. Etc.
    2018 was not "bloody good" for Labour. The Conservatives were ahead by 0-1%. So much commentary on local elections assumes that the governing party is never going to recover ground between mid-term and the next general election. And, they invariably do.

Wrong. 2018 was not bloody good at the time, but in comparison to what happened since it’s a huge stride taken getting back there.

You keep pushing this, but you couldn’t be more wrong, I’ve got all the electionologists on my side. Join us in your own time. 😁
  • Options

Question is whether Stamer going would shame Conservative MPs into chucking Big Dog down the well.

When this was all kicking off in January and all the speculation was about Boris going, I wonder if anyone could have predicted that this might end with both Sunak and Starmer getting fined too?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,202
    AlistairM said:

What looks to be the Admiral Makarov on fire as filmed by a Ukrainian Bayraktar TB2.

The low quality can be explained by the fact that the TB2 is probably some 100km away from the ship.

[Note: Not verified yet]

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1522573541698412544

Tweet has been deleted now.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,156
    edited May 2022

I have quickly concluded Starmer needs to go now. He can say he is honourable and Johnson is not, but Johnson stays irrespective of Starmer's fate. Johnson's future FPNs are now null and void politically.

Starmer tried to play with a straight bat, but he has been caught on the boundary just as he thought the ball was sailing into the pavilion for a six.

It is over for him, and I have largely been on his side.
  • Options

I suggested yesterday that purdah for the police was the correct response, but a thoughtful response from ? @Eabhal ? persuaded me to change my mind.

Durham’s announcement that it is re-opening the investigation is very troubling. If they had new evidence they should have investigated earlier. They certainly should not have said the investigation would not be re-opened.

Maybe you should reflect on how you tried to close my comments down which seem that they were very salient
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Labour 35
    Tories 30
    LD 19
    Others 16

Good result for Labour. Horrific for the Tories.
    Much, much better for Lib Dems.
    But look at those others. Not going to be like that in a GE.

Curtains and Rasher might have to revise their unwise hot takes.
    A 5 point Labour lead, at this stage in the electoral cycle? It's poor. Keir is a less charismatic Ed Miliband, the Tories are heading for a 10-30 seat majority with Boris and a pretty thumping one if they dump him.
    Agree with the first (a small Con win being likely) but not the second. IMO ditching Johnson could well damage the Cons GE prospects. I think the leave voters he will keep in the Con column are more important to their FPTP seat tally than those who'll be repelled by him to abstain or vote against.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,219
    So any news on the pilsner and pasanda party?
    The shandy and shashlik shindig?
    The Carling and korma craic?
    The Beck’s and bhoona bash?
    The Moretti and masala mash up?
    The Newcastle Brown and naan knees up?
    The Fosters and phal festivities?
    (That’s more than enough now, Ed.)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,551

nico679 said:

I

Getting way ahead of myself, but ... If Starmer is fined, Rayner will be too, so they'd both have to quit. There are not enough Socialist Campaign Group MPs to deliver a far-left leadership candidate, so who stands? My guess would be Lisa Nandy, Bridget Phillipson, Wes Streeting and, possibly, Yvette Cooper. The membership is very different to what it was even in 2020, so who would win is hard to call. I think it would come down to Streeting v Phillipson.

I’d go for Bridget Phillipson . I think she’s done very well over the last few years .
    Interesting, I am a Labour Party member and follow politics quite actively and I have never heard of her!
    Phillip Bridgetson, then ?
  • Options

I have quickly concluded Starmer needs to go now. He can say he is honourable and Johnson is not, but Johnson stays irrespective of Starmer's fate. Johnson's future FPNs are now null and void politically.

Starmer tried to play with a straight bat, but he has been caught on the boundary just as he thought he was sailing into the pavilion for a six.

Don't you want to wait to see whether he's innocent first?
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    So, this is just a pretty standard mid-term then.

SHOCKED

Also, how has SKS shot his own foot so so badly? You think you can trust his judgement going forward?
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    So much commentary on local elections assumes that the governing party is never going to recover ground between mid-term and the next general election. And, they invariably do.

We can plug these results into Crosby's SWINGBACKULATOR.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

sarissa said:

nico679 said:

Edinburgh ditto.

Nope

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20120116.british-unionist-party-take-seat-tories-north-lanarkshire/
    More “ultra-Unionist” than the Conservatives. They can’t even attract the total loonies any more.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That Tory number in the projected vote share is horrific.

After 12 years in power that's about right, the Tories should be getting thumped in local elections. Yet Labour are nowhere, 35% is poor. The Tories were way ahead at this stage pre-2010 and they didn't win a majority.

Labour won't win a majority. That's always been clear. The issue is whether the Tories retain one. What they got yesterday is close to what they got just before May resigned. And this time there is no UKIP/Reform vote to squeeze in a subsequent GE. It seems pretty clear to me that there is a large, solid and motivated anti-Tory vote, and the Tories have a huge job on their hands to turn that around.

The dynamics of a GE will be completely different to a mid term which is generally a good time to give the national party a good kick up the arse. Today's results show that Labour are very, very far away from sealing the deal with the electorate and that they are also very angry with the Tory party. Tory voters simply didn't come out to play in a mid term when little is at stake and the anger is very high. In 2024 a lot will be at stake culturally (Brexit, keeping boys out of dresses and men out of women's changing rooms) and Labour will struggle to differentiate on the economy and are going to be playing a hugely losing hand on the culture war. If they say "women don't have cocks" they lose ultra progressive voters to the Greens, if they say "women do have cocks" a huge number of their core feminist votes stay home.

All of this is going to be set to 11 for months and every time Keir makes a media appearance questions of this kind will be asked and he won't have an answer that doesn't piss of some significant part of the Labour coalition.

I agree that the Tories have absolutely nothing to offer but culture war - that's been clear for a while. I am less inclined to agree that enough voters will buy that if living standards and public services have continued to decline, and Boris Johnson is still in charge. .

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

I suggested yesterday that purdah for the police was the correct response, but a thoughtful response from ? @Eabhal ? persuaded me to change my mind.

Durham’s announcement that it is re-opening the investigation is very troubling. If they had new evidence they should have investigated earlier. They certainly should not have said the investigation would not be re-opened.

Maybe you should reflect on how you tried to close my comments down which seem that they were very salient
    No, because no actual evidence was adduced by the Mail, or your breathless updates.

I would suggest you wait for further development in the story.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Lab 35
    Con 30
    Ld 19

[sigh]

Wrong. 2018 was not bloody good at the time, but in comparison to what happened since it’s a huge stride taken getting back there.

You keep pushing this, but you couldn’t be more wrong, I’ve got all the electionologists on my side. Join us in your own time. 😁
    GIN1138 said:

Con 32% Lab 39%

This is a really, really poor result for Labour and a warning sign... I think it's even possible Con might win in 2023 or 2024 with another pretty big majority based on this local election performance from Labour.

According to some of the argument being advanced today, that meant Kinnock won the 1987 election,
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258

Starmer tried to play with a straight bat, but he has been caught on the boundary just as he thought the ball was sailing into the pavilion for a six.

No you have not been on his side. You thought that Johnson's Jimmy Savile comments were 'absolutely hilarious'.

And can I politely suggest to you and everybody that you wait and see. You seem to have decided to become Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Last time I checked, an investigation did not = guilt.
  • Options

So much commentary on local elections assumes that the governing party is never going to recover ground between mid-term and the next general election. And, they invariably do.

We can plug these results into Crosby's SWINGBACKULATOR.

Crosby was wrong on lots of things, but he was the swingback king. A lesson worth learning.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    Heathener said:

No you have not been on his side. You thought that Johnson's Jimmy Savile comments were 'absolutely hilarious'.

And can I politely suggest to you and everybody that you wait and see. You seem to have decided to become Judge, Jury and Executioner.

It's "Judge, Judy and Executioner".

For The Greater Good.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Tempting though it is I resolve to remain consistent on this. The Met investigation of Parygate should never have happeed. Ms Gray's investigation certainly and the relevaant committees of the HoC, but not the police who should stay out of politics. Durham police should have done the same.

Of course it should have happened. The police are there to investigate and uphold the law. That is the same whether the accused are politicians or plebs.
    Lots of people on this forum, myself included have admitted breaking some of the lockdown laws on occasion. Should we all be investigated too?

If Starmer is exonerated though, it would have been better for Tories and mail not to have had the investigation.

It’s like in Abbey Quest - Nun Run 2 when you have the Malignant Fetish Weapon in your bag, but use up all its Karma 😕.

I’m drifting in and out of consciousness not sure my posts making any sense here. Should I stop?
    I think you are wrong. Irrespective of any FPNs, Starmer is now seen as worse than Johnson. Johnson has consistently stated breaking rules is fine, Starmer has said it is not. He has to go.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,986

MrEd said:

By Election in Holborn and St Pancras?

Didn’t we have a few posters on here saying Beergate was not a big issue and voters would see through it?

😀
    I was one of them and it still doesn't look a patch on Partygate, but if he gets an FPN he has to go.

It is clever from the Conservatives/Mail/Telegraph because ironically it means Johnson can now survive Partygate even if Starmer resigns.
    Why is it not a patch on partygate?

Wasn't the FPN part of partygate (*) a few people who work or live in No.10 or the surrounding buildings getting together for a short time in No. 10?

This was people from all over the country getting together inside a building late at night. From a virus-spreading aspect, it looks much worse. All IMO, of course. ;)

(*) There may be more to come...
    Carrie lives in no. 11.
    I said "surrounding buildings".

Besides, the two are virtually contiguous as a workplace, aren't they? People would have been going between them all the time during Covid.
    They are not contiguous as residential spaces. The No. 10 flat and the No. 11 flat are separate to each other and separate to the office spaces.
    I think you're being a little silly now. They are next door to each other, and involved in the same business. What BJ and the others did was wrong (minorly, IMO), but I can't see how that excuses the stupid mess SKS and Labour had with their meeting or their reaction to it.

Tell me who, of the attendees at the Labour do, lived within ten miles of the place?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Lab 35
    Con 30
    Ld 19

[sigh]

GIN1138 said:

Con 32% Lab 39%

According to some of the argument being advanced today, that meant Kinnock won the 1987 election,
    Sorry this is the correct link for the 1985 local election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_United_Kingdom_local_elections
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258

DavidL said:

I think you are wrong. Irrespective of any FPNs, Starmer is now seen as worse than Johnson. Johnson has consistently stated breaking rules is fine, Starmer has said it is not. He has to go.
    You really need to take a break
  • Options
    Alliance leading NI score table!
  • Options
    Selebian said:

SKS didn't make the rules, so he can break the rules?

If he'd voted against the rules and called them stupid, then he'd have a case.

For me:
    - Beergate looks trivial, but let's see what's decided. If the law was broken then Starmer has to go, I think, given what he has said.
    - Cakegate also looked trivial, but Carrie should not have been there, I guess. I was surprised Johnson got a fine for that, really - I thought Carrie might.
    - The other parties (or whatever you prefer to call them) at Downing Street were far more egregious to me....
    Are the Met investigating them in chronological order, or did they pick cakegate by choice ? As it's a proved a pretty effective way of helping dilute the story.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

After 12 years in power that's about right, the Tories should be getting thumped in local elections. Yet Labour are nowhere, 35% is poor. The Tories were way ahead at this stage pre-2010 and they didn't win a majority.

Labour won't win a majority. That's always been clear. The issue is whether the Tories retain one. What they got yesterday is close to what they got just before May resigned. And this time there is no UKIP/Reform vote to squeeze in a subsequent GE. It seems pretty clear to me that there is a large, solid and motivated anti-Tory vote, and the Tories have a huge job on their hands to turn that around.

The dynamics of a GE will be completely different to a mid term which is generally a good time to give the national party a good kick up the arse. Today's results show that Labour are very, very far away from sealing the deal with the electorate and that they are also very angry with the Tory party. Tory voters simply didn't come out to play in a mid term when little is at stake and the anger is very high. In 2024 a lot will be at stake culturally (Brexit, keeping boys out of dresses and men out of women's changing rooms) and Labour will struggle to differentiate on the economy and are going to be playing a hugely losing hand on the culture war. If they say "women don't have cocks" they lose ultra progressive voters to the Greens, if they say "women do have cocks" a huge number of their core feminist votes stay home.

All of this is going to be set to 11 for months and every time Keir makes a media appearance questions of this kind will be asked and he won't have an answer that doesn't piss of some significant part of the Labour coalition.

I agree that the Tories have absolutely nothing to offer but culture war - that's been clear for a while. I am less inclined to agree that enough voters will buy that if living standards and public services have continued to decline, and Boris Johnson is still in charge. .

The thing is, a culture war is not actually that difficult to defend in the UK.

Unlike the US the British electorate are largely moderate and do not have passionately angry views on abortion and race.

Keir has played his culture hand quite badly, in my view, bordering on incompetence.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Mr Johnson said that?! I seem to remember hin going on at great length about how important it was to observe the rules.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But Labour aren't offering anything different on the substantive issues. It's the Ed Miliband blank sheet of paper and we know how that worked out.
  • Options

When this was all kicking off in January and all the speculation was about Boris going, I wonder if anyone could have predicted that this might end with both Sunak and Starmer getting fined too?
    Rayner ?
  • Options

where are you looking?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

For me:
    - Beergate looks trivial, but let's see what's decided. If the law was broken then Starmer has to go, I think, given what he has said.
    - Cakegate also looked trivial, but Carrie should not have been there, I guess. I was surprised Johnson got a fine for that, really - I thought Carrie might.
    - The other parties (or whatever you prefer to call them) at Downing Street were far more egregious to me....
    Are the Met investigating them in chronological order, or did they pick cakegate by choice ? As it's a proved a pretty effective way of helping dilute the story.
    Yes, it’s very interesting.

Cakegate seems pretty excusable even my my Cato-esque standards, at least for the PM.
    (Not so for non working attendees like Carrie and Lulu Lytle).

Not that I have all the info of course.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

For me:
    - The other parties (or whatever you prefer to call them) at Downing Street were far more egregious to me, those are the ones that really seem to show that rules were not deemed to apply to them. I don't particularly care whether Johnson was present, if he was aware of them (and it's hard to believe he was not).
    He doesn’t have to go. What will happen if he doesn’t? Sod all.
    Well, if he doesn't (and he receives an FPN) I shall give him a very hard stare should I ever meet him. That's hardly sod all :wink:

(If he does happen to become next PM, though, I'll forgive him in a heartbeat. That would be a nice betting outcome)
  • Options
    With almost half Scottish councils fully declared, and tons partially declared, net gains/losses so far:

SNP +17
    SLD +13
    SLab +11
    Grn +10
    Ind -14
    SCon -37
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,219
    Maybe Durham police read my posts yesterday about what the rules were at the time. A lot of people, including an ex-DPP, seemed confused about them at the time.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,239
    Carnyx said:

Hmm, British Unionists have taken one of the Tories' North Lanarkshire seats. (Fortissat = Shotts etc.)

I have spent this week in Airdrie. What a bizarre place. Desperately run down. Large numbers of very large dogs which may or may not be connected with an alarming number of drug addicts. Churches of all protestant denominations and lodge houses all over the place. The High Street was beyond grim and, on the limited evidence of my case, law and order is hanging on by a thead. Not in a rush to go back tbh.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Starmer tried to play with a straight bat, but he has been caught on the boundary just as he thought he was sailing into the pavilion for a six.

No. He is fatally damaged either way.

Clear the way for Dickie DiDo Burgon!
  • Options

MrEd said:

Didn’t we have a few posters on here saying Beergate was not a big issue and voters would see through it?

😀
    I was one of them and it still doesn't look a patch on Partygate, but if he gets an FPN he has to go.

It is clever from the Conservatives/Mail/Telegraph because ironically it means Johnson can now survive Partygate even if Starmer resigns.

Wasn't the FPN part of partygate (*) a few people who work or live in No.10 or the surrounding buildings getting together for a short time in No. 10?

This was people from all over the country getting together inside a building late at night. From a virus-spreading aspect, it looks much worse. All IMO, of course. ;)

Carrie lives in no. 11.

Besides, the two are virtually contiguous as a workplace, aren't they? People would have been going between them all the time during Covid.
    They are not contiguous as residential spaces. The No. 10 flat and the No. 11 flat are separate to each other and separate to the office spaces.
    I think you're being a little silly now. They are next door to each other, and involved in the same business. What BJ and the others did was wrong (minorly, IMO), but I can't see how that excuses the stupid mess SKS and Labour had with their meeting or their reaction to it.

Tell me who, of the attendees at the Labour do, lived within ten miles of the place?
    I am absolutely unconvinced that Lulu Lytle has any business at the cake unveiling despite Number 11 being very close.

You are typically weird about this.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But Labour aren't offering anything different on the substantive issues. It's the Ed Miliband blank sheet of paper and we know how that worked out.
    So predictions for Starmers equivalent of the Edstone? ;)
  • Options

DavidL said:

Eh?
  • Options

I said at the time of Barnard Castle that it was an opportunity for Keir Starmer to demonstrate some leadership by concentrating on encouraging people to continue to follow the rules, rather than to complain that Cummings breaking them would encourage others to do likewise.

Ultimately he has flunked the test of leadership.

It's possible, of course, that Starmer has been proven right. No transgressions by Starmer (that we know of) pre-Barnard Castle. Possible transgression afterwards :wink:
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It works for the Republicans.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Lab 35
    Con 30
    Ld 19

[sigh]

GIN1138 said:

Con 32% Lab 39%

We are going to have a spat! 😃 as you attempt to spin and twist the psephological truth.

Brilliant. That’s woken me up into action.

• Options
    Farooq said:

where are you looking?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/election/2022/northern-ireland/results
  • Options

Farooq said:

No. He is fatally damaged either way.

Clear the way for Dickie DiDo Burgon!
    Now you've put it that way, who could disagree?
  • Options

Borders count complete:

Con 14 -1
    SNP 9 nc
    Ind 7 -1
    LD 3 +1
    Grn 1 +1

From what I have read that considerably understates the collapse in the Tory vote. Amongst its many other faults the STV system really doesn't seem that responsive to even quite large swings.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

An investigation certainly does not equal guilt.

But as others have pointed out, that wasn't SKS's position when Johnson was being investigated.
  • Options

I can confirm I have hacked Petes account!!
    You have when I demand Richard Burgon and Rebecca Long Bailey take over...

It's over! He is a good man, but with no political killer instinct. A mere pup trying to run amongst the big dogs.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Borders count complete:

Con 14 -1
    SNP 9 nc
    Ind 7 -1
    LD 3 +1
    Grn 1 +1

From what I have read that considerably understates the collapse in the Tory vote. Amongst its many other faults the STV system really doesn't seem that responsive to even quite large swings.
    I saw this morning that you have familiarity with the Kirriemuir ward.

My ancestors, the Reas, hail from that neck of the woods.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Borders count complete:

Con 14 -1
    SNP 9 nc
    Ind 7 -1
    LD 3 +1
    Grn 1 +1

Barry country? And Potter?
  • Options

No, because no actual evidence was adduced by the Mail, or your breathless updates.

I would suggest you wait for further development in the story.
    My commentary has always been the same standards should apply to Durham and the MET and the new evidence considered

I have not said Starmer and Rayner are guilty and may well be absolved

However, you attempted to close down the debate and you were wrong to do so
  • Options

MrEd said:

😀

Carrie lives in no. 11.

I am absolutely unconvinced that Lulu Lytle has any business at the cake unveiling despite Number 11 being very close.

You are typically weird about this.
    "typically weird" ?

Gee, thanks.

I await the list of people who were at the Labour do, so you can proclaim who should and should not have been there.

And BTW, I said what BJ and co. did was wrong.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Hmm, British Unionists have taken one of the Tories' North Lanarkshire seats. (Fortissat = Shotts etc.)

I have spent this week in Airdrie. What a bizarre place. Desperately run down. Large numbers of very large dogs which may or may not be connected with an alarming number of drug addicts. Churches of all protestant denominations and lodge houses all over the place. The High Street was beyond grim and, on the limited evidence of my case, law and order is hanging on by a thead. Not in a rush to go back tbh.
    Interesting report from the Unionist frontline. The Orange rather than Sioux kind of lodge, I take it?
  • Options
    Just watching election night 2015, what a glorious night that was. Months of campaigning and watching the Labour and Lib Dems self destruct without realising it all coming to fruition. Don't think I'll ever experience anything like it again.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    DavidL said:

Labour 35
    Tories 30
    LD 19
    Others 16

I am looking forward to the Residents' Association holding the balance of power in a hung parliament!
  • Options
    Strangford was 36% DUP, 15% UUP, 13% TUV, 24% Alliance, 6% SDLP, 4% SF, Green 2%.

Which probably makes DUP 2, UUP 1, Alliance 2.
  • Options

Heathener said:

An investigation certainly does not equal guilt.

But as others have pointed out, that wasn't SKS's position when Johnson was being investigated.
    This is true, but if - BIG IF - Keir is exonerated, you can put this down to political rhetoric. Nobody will notice or care.

Anyway, by the time Met decided to investigate it was already obvious Boris was guilty as hell.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

I

Getting way ahead of myself, but ... If Starmer is fined, Rayner will be too, so they'd both have to quit. There are not enough Socialist Campaign Group MPs to deliver a far-left leadership candidate, so who stands? My guess would be Lisa Nandy, Bridget Phillipson, Wes Streeting and, possibly, Yvette Cooper. The membership is very different to what it was even in 2020, so who would win is hard to call. I think it would come down to Streeting v Phillipson.

I’d go for Bridget Phillipson . I think she’s done very well over the last few years .
    Interesting, I am a Labour Party member and follow politics quite actively and I have never heard of her!
    Phillip Bridgetson, then ?
    One of the Bridgertons, maybe? I hear they're quite popular...
  • Options

AlistairM said:

What looks to be the Admiral Makarov on fire as filmed by a Ukrainian Bayraktar TB2.

The low quality can be explained by the fact that the TB2 is probably some 100km away from the ship.

[Note: Not verified yet]

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1522573541698412544

Tweet has been deleted now.
    Looked like a video game to me, FWIW.
    And the change of the angel of view was way to fast to have been from 100km away - the camera would have had to be on an aerial platform quite close to the vessel.

Doesn't mean the ship hasn't been hit, but the footage was fake.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Farooq said:

where are you looking?
    [deleted - am misreading]
  • Options

Outrageous. Change your mind? Listen to reasoned argument? Where will it end?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Labour lose Hastings to NOC
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It works for the Republicans.

The way the US voting system works - and who controls it - is what works for the Republicans.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

For me:
    Alphabetically. Cakegate comes before Partygate or Drinksgate (or is that Gardengate?)

That's why everyone's pissed that Durham have been lagging on Beergate. If it was only Currygate it would be ok for it to come after Cakegate.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Heathener said:

Anti-Tory tactical voting IS the big hope for the GE. If it takes hold it should be enough to kick them out. My confidence has dimmed a notch however. I was hoping to see a stronger Labour performance yesterday in those parts of the country we are busting a gut to "reconnect" with.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Borders count complete:

Con 14 -1
    SNP 9 nc
    Ind 7 -1
    LD 3 +1
    Grn 1 +1

No idea.

I’ve been to Dundee a couple of times, and on occasion walked down Strawberry Bank to try to find an ancestor’s house.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,421

DavidL said:

Labour 35
    Tories 30
    LD 19
    Others 16

I am looking forward to the Residents' Association holding the balance of power in a hung parliament!
    Good news: No potholes anywhere.
    Bad news: No new houses anywhere. Build them somewhere else, like France, instead.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Farooq said:

where are you looking?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/assembly-election-2022/results/
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

where are you looking?
    SF is only 4% on FP. Or am I misreading?
    Of results in so far.

Presently biggest gainers Alliance and TUV not SF
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660
    MaxPB said:

Just watching election night 2015, what a glorious night that was. Months of campaigning and watching the Labour and Lib Dems self destruct without realising it all coming to fruition. Don't think I'll ever experience anything like it again.

Hopefully not ;-)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

My wish yesterday - all of which i said was stretch, was:

- Labour to take Westminster - DONE
    - Ukraine to degrade Black Sea fleet - DONE
    - Alliance to come second in NI - Pending?

Haha.

I think it's very plain the DUP will come second.
    1 result so far. For the Alliance. NI has been stuck in a death knell of religious bigotry for over a century. It would be beyond wonderful if the people there said enough.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

The optics look horrendous.

I was wrong about Johnson's Starmer slur and I retracted at the time.

Starmer bet his shirt on Partygate. He was winning, now he has lost. FPN or no FPN.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

DavidL said:

Borders count complete:

Con 14 -1
    SNP 9 nc
    Ind 7 -1
    LD 3 +1
    Grn 1 +1

No idea.

I’ve been to Dundee a couple of times, and on occasion walked down Strawberry Bank to try to find an ancestor’s house.
    Have a look at nls.uk if you haven't - the online maps and local directories sections are superb.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    HYUFD said:

Labour lose Hastings to NOC

That was careless of them. Three Green gains, all from Labour.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

For me:
    - The other parties (or whatever you prefer to call them) at Downing Street were far more egregious to me, those are the ones that really seem to show that rules were not deemed to apply to them. I don't particularly care whether Johnson was present, if he was aware of them (and it's hard to believe he was not).
    He doesn’t have to go. What will happen if he doesn’t? Sod all.
    You're assuming Starmer possesses the brass neck to brazen it out.
    It would be embarrassing to watch him self immolate.

• Options

Farooq said:

where are you looking?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/assembly-election-2022/results/
    Sky seem a bit faster: https://election.news.sky.com/elections/northern-ireland-2022
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

As I keep saying, no-one serious is suggesting that Labour will win a majority. The question is whether the Tories will get one. We agree that they will try to by going all out on culture war. I am not sure it will work.

• Options
    Sky news general election projection based on this year's local elections voteshare.

Hung Parliament

Conservatives 278
    Labour 271
    SNP 50
    LDs 28
  • Options
    Sky GE 24 projection

278 conservative - 271 labour - 50 SNP - 28 lib dem - 23 other
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Interesting report from the Unionist frontline. The Orange rather than Sioux kind of lodge, I take it?
    Yes, replete with pictures of William and commemorating the Battle of the Boyne. It reminded me of my favourite scene in Trainspotting 2.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

As I keep saying, no-one serious is suggesting that Labour will win a majority. The question is whether the Tories will get one. We agree that they will try to by going all out on culture war. I am not sure it will work.

The culture war campaign is the "stand in the polling booth and have a really long think about what you want for the nation", the Tories do this very well. They did it in 1992 and 2015 to great effect during very tough economic climates and Labour offering nothing really different to the Tories on the substantive issues of the day.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Borders count complete:

Con 14 -1
    SNP 9 nc
    Ind 7 -1
    LD 3 +1
    Grn 1 +1

No idea.

Talking of which:

SNP gain Dundee from NOC
  • Options
    Labour gain Worthing
This discussion has been closed.