Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The overnight scorecard looks bad for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Lincoln Result #LE2022:

LAB: 7 (=)
    CON: 3 (-1)
    LDM: 1 (+1)

Council Now: LAB 22, CON 9, LDM 2.
    Labour HOLD.

Ah well, Labour only do well in London

How is that doing well? Labour made no gains.
    The Tories won this by 3514 in 2019, so this is a swing back to Labour in 2018/2017 when they held this seat. So that is another Tory loss.
    But that's not comparable.
    Well erh yes it is. Because it's another swing back in a seat Labour need to win.

Chris Curtice has said the same. I trust his and Opinium's analysis.
    It's not comparable, whoever that might be is wrong and you've been slating Opinium for months. Suddenly they agree with you and you trust them?
  • Options
    Lewisham Mayoral Election Result:

LAB: 58.1% (+3.8)
    GRN: 16.0% (+5.6)
    CON: 11.6% (-1.7)
    LDM: 9.8% (+1.6)
    TUSC: 2.4% (NEW)
    CPA: 1.5% (NEW)
    IND: 0.8% (NEW)

Labour HOLD

opros.co.uk/le2022

(Changes with 2018 Election)

#LE2022

• Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    The murdering the Tories are taking in Somerset suggest Tiv and Hon will be gone unless Boris goes first.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited May 2022

So looks like Sir Keir Bland wont be our next PM

Or he will but only propped up by the Liberal Democrats in a hung parliament
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    We’ve published the latest data from our #COVID19 Infection Survey.

#COVID19 infections decreased across the whole of the UK http://ow.ly/tTp450J14QQ

1 in:

England: 35
    Wales: 25
    NI: 40
    Scot: 30

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1522531877822906369
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Lincoln Result #LE2022:

Labour HOLD.

The Tories won this by 3514 in 2019, so this is a swing back to Labour in 2018/2017 when they held this seat. So that is another Tory loss.
    Well erh yes it is. Because it's another swing back in a seat Labour need to win.

Chris Curtice has said the same. I trust his and Opinium's analysis.
    It's not comparable, whoever that might be is wrong and you've been slating Opinium for months. Suddenly they agree with you and you trust them?
    When did I ever slate Opinium?

I said I wasn't sure about their new methodology - which somebody else here agreed with.

I like Chris Curtice, he speaks objectively.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609

Has Rogerdamus taught you nothing ?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,217
    GIN1138 said:

kinabalu said:

Morning all. So, a new dawn has broken has it not? No, it hasn’t.

It’s still all to play for, with an economic shit-storm coming and Johnson certain to become ever more palpably crass and trivial in how he conducts himself, but with apols to my PB Lab comrades, based on these locals, ‘head over heart’ instructs me to revise my GE central expectation for betting purposes from hung parliament PM Starmer to small Con majority PM Johnson.

I’m sliding back to my previous unwelcome view that Brexit has changed the game by creating a new (and strong) political identity to the benefit of the Cons (so long as they stay Brexity) and the detriment of Labour. There’s enough of this identity in the ‘red wall’ for them to retain a good proportion of the seats they won there in 2019 and enough habitual tory voters in the shires and the south – inc the deeply reprehensible ‘hold the nosers’ - to win plenty there too. And then of course the bizarre Midlands who do a decent impression of actually liking the modern Conservative party, finding it pleasing to the eye with a sunny personality and GSOH.

Add it together and with FPTP doing its crazy thing it’s enough. A Con majority of 15 seats, something like that. False precision, I know, and no spreadsheet as yet, and of course ‘long way to go and only a fool’, but this is the look & feel of it from where I’m sitting (which is in Regents Park, nice day).

London has again voted superbly well (eg my Wandsworth bet landed easily) but I can’t get too excited about this when the rest of the country flops. This seems to have become a pattern and if it continues thoughts will have to turn to independence. A situation whereby we, the capital city, keep having low rent Tory governments foisted upon us is simply not tenable in the long run. Strategy for this? I’m of the ‘gradualist’ persuasion. I don’t want to see Sadiq going for wildcat referendums or the like. Let’s just build the requisite majority for “Yes” over the piece and then hold a legal vote when we’re confident of winning it.

Nice analysis.

Basically, a party doesn't go from the kind of defeat Labour suffered in 2019 straight to government within one parliamentary term. It's a two term project but it's made more difficult by Starmer being dull as dishwater and also being mainly associated with the "People's Vote" shenanigans in the 17-19 Parliament.

One more Con win with a small majority in 2023/2024, Labour ditch Starmer and return to government in 2028/2029 with the 2030's likely to be a Labour decade is my best guess.
    Not enjoyable but, you know, a betting post so it has to be detached.

It'd be nice to have a zappier leader but I don't think it's mainly that. I think it's a structural problem created by the Leave Remain split. Labour HAS to be Remain (on values, I mean, not literally a policy to rejoin) - it's where most of us on the centre left are - but this makes it very hard to win enough seats in Leave territory (which is where most marginals are) to beat the Tories to largest party.

A way forward might be to ally with the LDs and rerun Leave v Remain via a GE - fight it on those values. ie do what Johnson did in 2019 but this time consolidate the Remain vote. That (with the SNP) would have a great chance of prevailing and winning power imo.
  • Options
    Hemsworth (Wakefield):

LAB: 62.2% (+24.7)
    GRN: 21.4% (+15.1)
    CON: 16.4% (+9.8)

Labour GAIN from IND.
    No IND (-49.6) As Previous.

Huge result in Wakefield
  • Options
    Japanese Prime Minister Kishida:
    "We will utilise nuclear reactors with safety assurances to contribute to worldwide reduction of dependence on Russian energy”

https://twitter.com/HelloMrBond/status/1522455717105618945
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Lincoln Result #LE2022:

Labour HOLD.

Sure, it's like saying the Conservatives "regained" Enfield Southgate, and Battersea in 1998. It's comparing apples with oranges.

The Conservatives won 45% in 2019, and their NEV is 34% or so, but general elections are not local elections.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,113

Lewisham Mayoral Election Result:

LAB: 58.1% (+3.8)
    GRN: 16.0% (+5.6)
    CON: 11.6% (-1.7)
    LDM: 9.8% (+1.6)
    TUSC: 2.4% (NEW)
    CPA: 1.5% (NEW)
    IND: 0.8% (NEW)

Labour HOLD

opros.co.uk/le2022

(Changes with 2018 Election)

#LE2022

My first and second choice coming in first and second. Good to see that I am so in tune with my neighbours!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Nigelb said:

Has Rogerdamus taught you nothing ?
    I leave my good friend Roger to his own predictions

However I cant see how piling up votes in London means he wins. Obviously a Londoners opinion is worth at least 100 times that of some redneck in the sticks, but that' not how our electoral system works.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Real mixed bag in Runnymede:

Chertsey Riverside Conservative Party with 475 votes
    Addlestone North Green Party with 525 votes
    Addlestone South Conservative Party with 610 votes
    Egham Hythe Labour and Co-operative Party with 827 votes (Tory loss)
    Chertsey St Ann Conservative Party with 502 votes
    Egham Town Runnymede Independent Residents' Group with 826 votes
    Englefield Green East Independent with 368 votes (Tory loss)
    Longcross, Lyne and Chertsey South Liberal Democrat Party with 657 votes
  • Options
    Does this go some way to explain Ukraine's vastly inflated claims of Russian air losses ?
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1522453032285388801
    🇺🇦Air Force Command says that on May 5, Ukrainian forced shot down 15 air targets:
    🔸1 Russian airplane (the Su-30SM according to preliminary data)
    🔸14 Orlan-10 UAVs
  • Options
    This time last year: The Tory hegemony has a rock-solid foundation and will last another decade at least, Labour are marooned on an island of electoral irrelevance. Now: Labour are losing wards in their 169th target seat, this is a disaster for them
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222

Cicero said:

Very early days, but looking like:

SLD tremendous
    Greens tremendous
    SLab good
    SNP meh
    SCon we want Ruth back!

Our own @RochdalePioneers had a very respectable result for a paper candidate. Well Done him! (probably relieved not to win though :smile:
    Figures would oblige! (Too lazy to wade through everything! Furthermore Mrs C want's 'help' with 'things"!)
    @RochdalePioneers was only eliminated on the 5th stage, just over 200 short of the quota. Its a solid result and he was the last candidate not elected.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189

Wow.

A Tory source argues that Labour doing well in London 'is not going to bode well' for them at next general election.

It 'will just reinforce the notion in working class people's eyes that they are now the party of the metropolitan elite, the party of Remainers'

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1522512352024969219

Presumably this is just some kind of spoofery, but the mad thing is that these days I can actually conceive of some kind of Tory idiot saying it.

Nope. This is exactly the angle they will be going for. “You don’t really want loony remainer effete liberal woke metropolitan elite Starmer in charge do you? We got Brexit done. They don’t understand you.”

See the GOP playbook, just slightly less blatantly unpleasant.

They then hope that enough of the middle classes in the shires hold their nose and stick with them for fear of Labour for economic reasons.

I hate to say that I think it’s an electoral strategy that they could squeeze a close victory out of.

Starmer needs to prepare himself for the onslaught that is coming. He also needs to put a lot of work into denting some of those attack lines.
    I agree with that. He needs to wise-up and he really didn't handle Beergate at all well. He allowed a non-story gain traction and get out of control.

BBC are currently focusing on ignoring London, and suggesting Labour are doing terribly outside London. Jeremy Vine "Labour are firing blanks".
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Jonathan said:

The only people having a bad day are the Daily Mail, which should warm the cockles of decent people everywhere.

Russian navy are not having one of their better days either.
  • Options
    Tory councillor David Meikle defeated in Pollokshields
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,441
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

One thing the Govt has yet to address or admit is the degree to which Brexit is fuelling UK inflation. Business leaders say it’s the thing “no one talks about” esp firms who want to keep Govt contracts
    https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/1522477132500381696

Eurozone inflation 7.5%
    UK inflation 7.0%

Is the degree that Brexit is fuelling UK inflation -0.5% Scott?
    If unemployment climbs to 5.5 as predicted, will you let us use the word stagflation?
    Thankfully, there’s currently a labour shortage.

A glut of early retirements during the pandemic, and the ending of FoM with the EU, has seen vacancies at record rates, adverts offering sign-on bonuses, and 20% wage premiums on a lot of low-paid work.

The unemployment forecast was the one item that just didn’t look right in the forecast. The inflation is real though, and the China Covid situation is likely to squeeze supply chains for the next year at least.
    “ The unemployment forecast was the one item that just didn’t look right in the forecast. “

No it’s not. It’s extremely plausible that in a downturn people can lose their jobs.

You might be wrong on basis how this works to sectors. Certain sectors could be in stagflation where the country overall isn’t.
    Were FoM still in place, I’d be inclined to agree with you, but the labour shortage will force firms to invest in both capital and training, especially at the lower end of the labour market.

Many pre-pandemic hospitality workers, for example, are now working as drivers or in warehouses, for considerably more than minimum wage.
    Broadly I don’t disagree. But you don’t speak for where we are now before change for better from years of investment in training. Rumanian chefs gone home, now can’t get a chef anywhere for example.

What likely to happen, next Tory leader/labour government will allow some bit of FoM to return to address these shortages.
    But this is not Brexit. EVERYWHERE in the western world is suffering staff shortages, especially in Hospitality

It was a common theme across the Deep South during my recent trip. There were oyster houses in New Orleans turning away multiple customers "because we one have two waiters, normally we have six". Hotels, cafes, bars, everywhere was begging for staff

Ditto in the EU during my recent visits, and I can see it again here in Turkey, and of course in the UK

Where have they all gone?!
    People nearing retirement using the last couple of years as an excuse to bail out a bit early?

And then everyone else shuffles up a level.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Hemsworth (Wakefield):

Labour GAIN from IND.

Huge result in Wakefield

Lab net gains in England still 36

London Gains are greater than 36

Therefore you are Cherry Picking

I could sit on here all day posting individual losses but that would be equally pathetic as you and extremely boring

ie you are in cherry picking denial land

Are you alright?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    edited May 2022
    kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

kinabalu said:

It’s still all to play for, with an economic shit-storm coming and Johnson certain to become ever more palpably crass and trivial in how he conducts himself, but with apols to my PB Lab comrades, based on these locals, ‘head over heart’ instructs me to revise my GE central expectation for betting purposes from hung parliament PM Starmer to small Con majority PM Johnson.

I’m sliding back to my previous unwelcome view that Brexit has changed the game by creating a new (and strong) political identity to the benefit of the Cons (so long as they stay Brexity) and the detriment of Labour. There’s enough of this identity in the ‘red wall’ for them to retain a good proportion of the seats they won there in 2019 and enough habitual tory voters in the shires and the south – inc the deeply reprehensible ‘hold the nosers’ - to win plenty there too. And then of course the bizarre Midlands who do a decent impression of actually liking the modern Conservative party, finding it pleasing to the eye with a sunny personality and GSOH.

Add it together and with FPTP doing its crazy thing it’s enough. A Con majority of 15 seats, something like that. False precision, I know, and no spreadsheet as yet, and of course ‘long way to go and only a fool’, but this is the look & feel of it from where I’m sitting (which is in Regents Park, nice day).

London has again voted superbly well (eg my Wandsworth bet landed easily) but I can’t get too excited about this when the rest of the country flops. This seems to have become a pattern and if it continues thoughts will have to turn to independence. A situation whereby we, the capital city, keep having low rent Tory governments foisted upon us is simply not tenable in the long run. Strategy for this? I’m of the ‘gradualist’ persuasion. I don’t want to see Sadiq going for wildcat referendums or the like. Let’s just build the requisite majority for “Yes” over the piece and then hold a legal vote when we’re confident of winning it.

Nice analysis.

Basically, a party doesn't go from the kind of defeat Labour suffered in 2019 straight to government within one parliamentary term. It's a two term project but it's made more difficult by Starmer being dull as dishwater and also being mainly associated with the "People's Vote" shenanigans in the 17-19 Parliament.

One more Con win with a small majority in 2023/2024, Labour ditch Starmer and return to government in 2028/2029 with the 2030's likely to be a Labour decade is my best guess.

It'd be nice to have a zappier leader but I don't think it's mainly that. I think it's a structural problem created by the Leave Remain split. Labour HAS to be Remain (on values, I mean, not literally a policy to rejoin) - it's where most of us on the centre left are - but this makes it very hard to win enough seats in Leave territory (which is where most marginals are) to beat the Tories to largest party.

A way forward might be to ally with the LDs and rerun Leave v Remain via a GE - fight it on those values. ie do what Johnson did in 2019 but this time consolidate the Remain vote. That (with the SNP) would have a great chance of prevailing and winning power imo.
    Hello @kinablu, that and your original posts were very good ones. I think both you and GIN are right - this is not going to be a one-term project for Labour given the fundamental issues involved. When it comes to the Leave territory seats, Labour's brand image has been deteriorating not just with the Brexit issue but at least for a decade, and possibly more. That is not the thing you turn around in a heartbeat.

On the alliance with the LDs, I think the Tories would actually enjoy that, even though the maths would suggest that a consolidation of the anti-Tory vote would lead to losses. It would motivate their voting base - particularly in the Leave hinterland - and, for wealthy, Home Counties Remain seats, a lot of voters who might be tempted to go with a LD MP may think that the LDs would essentially allow Labour to set the agenda and so would stick with the Tories.

I would also argue it is wrong to think of two cohorts - Leave vs Remain - and think of three - Leave, Hard Remain (it's their motivating passion) and Soft Remain (i.e. they voted for Brexit but are reconciled to the present and see other issues as more important). Fighting on a Remain vs Leave platform risks allowing the Conservatives to gain the third cohort by focusing on other issues and portraying the other side as fighting the last war.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Deputy Political Editor, The Scotsman:

God almighty the Tories are having an appalling day so far

https://twitter.com/conor_matchett/status/1522531265035083778

The clown's behaviour and dishonesty has broken the willingness of a critical mass of voters to continue supporting them. The only consolation for the Tories is that voters haven't settled on who else they want running the country. Nevertheless there's no way back for them under current leadership, and the more thoughtful MPs should start thinking about his replacement.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

We’ve published the latest data from our #COVID19 Infection Survey.

#COVID19 infections decreased across the whole of the UK http://ow.ly/tTp450J14QQ

1 in:

England: 35
    Wales: 25
    NI: 40
    Scot: 30

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1522531877822906369

One thing that is interesting for several weeks now Wales has had the highest rate of COVID in the UK according to the ONS, but the lowest rate according to the Gov-Dashboard, what's going on?

In theory it could be testing availability, but if anything that would push it the other way as testing is still free, for the moment in Wales, but not England.

I think/suspect that because of the restrictions in wales, people as less likely to report that they have tested positive, or perhaps as less likely to get a test as they will have to isolate. (I haven't kept up with the latest rules in wales so happy to be corrected on this)

Any other thoughts?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097

Husband of Natalie McGarry, currently on trial for embezzlement. Not to pile more misery on them but I wouldn't be surprised if that contributed.
  • Options

In that case, have you some inside information that Johnson is resigning?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    edited May 2022

Wow.

A Tory source argues that Labour doing well in London 'is not going to bode well' for them at next general election.

It 'will just reinforce the notion in working class people's eyes that they are now the party of the metropolitan elite, the party of Remainers'

Presumably this is just some kind of spoofery, but the mad thing is that these days I can actually conceive of some kind of Tory idiot saying it.

Nope. This is exactly the angle they will be going for. “You don’t really want loony remainer effete liberal woke metropolitan elite Starmer in charge do you? We got Brexit done. They don’t understand you.”

They then hope that enough of the middle classes in the shires hold their nose and stick with them for fear of Labour for economic reasons.

I hate to say that I think it’s an electoral strategy that they could squeeze a close victory out of.

Starmer needs to prepare himself for the onslaught that is coming. He also needs to put a lot of work into denting some of those attack lines.
    I agree with that. He needs to wise-up and he really didn't handle Beergate at all well. He allowed a non-story gain traction and get out of control.

BBC are currently focusing on ignoring London, and suggesting Labour are doing terribly outside London. Jeremy Vine "Labour are firing blanks".
    Yes, the media reaction is what matters for the PM. Based on what’s been said so far, and noting NI will take over the narrative soon, he’s got away with it. Queen’s Speech next week week so there’s only one weekend for this to land.

Overall, it feels like there’s not enough here to suggest a Labour win in 2024, nor should one write off the Tories based on the history of midterm results. As we were.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

One thing the Govt has yet to address or admit is the degree to which Brexit is fuelling UK inflation. Business leaders say it’s the thing “no one talks about” esp firms who want to keep Govt contracts
    https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/1522477132500381696

Eurozone inflation 7.5%
    UK inflation 7.0%

Is the degree that Brexit is fuelling UK inflation -0.5% Scott?
    If unemployment climbs to 5.5 as predicted, will you let us use the word stagflation?
    Thankfully, there’s currently a labour shortage.

A glut of early retirements during the pandemic, and the ending of FoM with the EU, has seen vacancies at record rates, adverts offering sign-on bonuses, and 20% wage premiums on a lot of low-paid work.

The unemployment forecast was the one item that just didn’t look right in the forecast. The inflation is real though, and the China Covid situation is likely to squeeze supply chains for the next year at least.
    “ The unemployment forecast was the one item that just didn’t look right in the forecast. “

No it’s not. It’s extremely plausible that in a downturn people can lose their jobs.

You might be wrong on basis how this works to sectors. Certain sectors could be in stagflation where the country overall isn’t.
    Were FoM still in place, I’d be inclined to agree with you, but the labour shortage will force firms to invest in both capital and training, especially at the lower end of the labour market.

Many pre-pandemic hospitality workers, for example, are now working as drivers or in warehouses, for considerably more than minimum wage.
    Broadly I don’t disagree. But you don’t speak for where we are now before change for better from years of investment in training. Rumanian chefs gone home, now can’t get a chef anywhere for example.

What likely to happen, next Tory leader/labour government will allow some bit of FoM to return to address these shortages.
    But this is not Brexit. EVERYWHERE in the western world is suffering staff shortages, especially in Hospitality

It was a common theme across the Deep South during my recent trip. There were oyster houses in New Orleans turning away multiple customers "because we one have two waiters, normally we have six". Hotels, cafes, bars, everywhere was begging for staff

Ditto in the EU during my recent visits, and I can see it again here in Turkey, and of course in the UK

Where have they all gone?!
    They’ve all got better-paying jobs, is the answer. In the US especially, wait staff were treated terribly, with a $2.50 minimum wage and having to beg for tips. Amazon are paying $20 for drivers and warehouse workers, with more sociable hours.

The UK would be in a different place with FoM still in place though, as there would be effectively unlimited numbers of Eastern Europeans still coming over to make up the shortfall. We wouldn’t be seeing pay rises at the bottom end, which would add pressure to the government over cost of living.
  • Options
    North Down looks as though it will be 2 Alliance, 1 DUP, ! Independent Unionist (ex DUP) 1 UUP. That's one Independent Unionist gain from DUP and 1 Alliance gain from Green.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,998
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

Hmmm a lib dem revival pretty key to Labours hopes no? Although I suspect by the news bulletins tonight we we be talking about NI and certain contributors may be back to talking about UDI for Ballymena or some such....

I thought Ed Davey was very telling this morning.

In lots of places we are the challengers to the Tories he said. But nothing about Labour.

Unofficial pact as per 1997, it us clear Labour stepped back in some places and so did the Lib Dems. Big problems for the Tories ahead
    Electoral pacts can be undemocratic, reducing local choice for the electorate.

At the last GE I only had a choice of three parties because of a Green / Lib Dem pact.
    You only had a choice of three parties because of First Past The Post. As long as that continues, parties are inevitably going to make (often informal) pacts to maximise their seat tallies.
    Rubbish.

And people who claim to dislike FPTP because of a supposed or real lack of democracy, who then support electoral pacts, are being inconsistent IMV.
    I prefer pacts to be tacit, and based on targetting seats as per 1997 than not standing a candidate, but pacts are not inconsistent with FPTP, they are a consequence of it.
    Not really. Under many non-FPTP schemes, the pacts happen *after* the election, turning what happened in 2010 into the norm.

As I say, not standing candidates is really poor. Not really trying shows that you don't really believe in what you're saying.
    This is nonsense. Take an extreme example. 100 candidates of various shades of conservatism and 1 socialist candidate. 102 voters. 2 are socialists the rest various shades of conservatism. Socialist candidate wins with 2 votes and under 2% of the vote. That is your idea of democracy? Wouldn't it be better if the conservatives formed a pact or change from FPTP so they can stand and the most popular conservative gets elected.
    Can you give me an example of a UK election where there were '100 candidates of various shades of conservatism and 1 socialist candidate', or is this just a rather extreme fiction?
    Well of course it hasn't happened. I'm giving an extreme example (words I actually used) to point out the nonsense of your argument. But a subset of my example happens at every single election if more than 2 people stand. You are objecting to people forming pacts to get around the unfairness of FPTP. In which case change the system. If you won't do that you can't object to pacts. You are objecting to people refusing to spend time and money so as to commit political suicide by ensuring they can't win. You are actually demanding that someone puts the effort in to standing, which will cause the party they most object to winning by splitting the vote. And you can't see why they may not do this? That is totally daft.
    It's been the consistent Tory line since about 1983, though.
    I am not a Tory. Yesterday I voted two* LD, one*Ind. I don;t think I've voted Conservative at any level since 2017.

Dismissing an argument you don't like as a 'Tory' line is a little silly. I guess you don't actually have a robust argument against what I've said?
  • Options
    Maidstone goes NOC
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Hemsworth (Wakefield):

Labour GAIN from IND.

Huge result in Wakefield

I could sit on here all day posting individual losses but that would be equally pathetic as you and extremely boring

Are you alright?
    Whilst I get your point of cheerypicking, that is uncalled for - @CorrectHorseBattery is one of the most polite posters on here and, while he has strong views, he puts it across without becoming personal.
  • Options

Wow.

Bloody hell! Keir Starmer has just off-topiced me!
  • Options
    Sky news miles better than BBC for local results, much more data and results rather than just chat
  • Options

Husband of Natalie McGarry, currently on trial for embezzlement. Not to pile more misery on them but I wouldn't be surprised if that contributed.
    Indeed. I understand Tories expect the embezzlers on their side to be good enough to get away with it and call themselves accountants and bankers.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Wow.

Yes, the media reaction is what matters for the PM. Based on what’s been said so far, and noting NI will take over the narrative soon, he’s got away with it. Queen’s Speech next week week so there’s only one weekend for this to land.

Overall, it feels like there’s not enough here to suggest a Labour win in 2024, nor should one write off the Tories based on the history of midterm results. As we were.
    I expect media coverage of the Queen's speech will be dominated by speculation about the Queen's absence, if she's unable to attend.

She's never missed it before, except twice for pregnancy, so for her to miss it now could be significant.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,816
    Dreadful early results for the Tories in Somerset . The Lib Dems looking good there .
  • Options
    biggles said:

Wow.

I believe that is wrong, it looks like (with this snapshot) that Starmer will be a minority/ coalition Prime Minister.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Shout going out to the Englefield Green massive!

Tories lose a third seat in Runnymede
    Another Runnymede result: Englefield Green West has elected Abby King of the Labour and Co-operative Party with 403 votes. That was previously a Conservative seat, so that's now three seats they have lost in the borough, two of which have been to Labour. It also means that both Englefield Green seats that the Conservatives were defending have been lost.
  • Options
    Independents gain Castle Point
  • Options
    Labour gain Rossendale
  • Options
    It looks as if the the willingness of SDLP to support the extension of abortion rights to Northern Ireland has driven some of its voters over to Aontu. Apparently, quite a few priests have been urging a vote for Aontu.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

The more you dig into the details the worse it gets. They seem to have been spectacularly transfer unfriendly.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    Sean_F said:

North Down looks as though it will be 2 Alliance, 1 DUP, ! Independent Unionist (ex DUP) 1 UUP. That's one Independent Unionist gain from DUP and 1 Alliance gain from Green.

On a knife edge in South Belfast. Second Alliance v Green incumbent.
    Alliance doing well.
    Caveat. These are all rumours. Still short of a result
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,256

Big turn up for the books in the Forth ward of Edinburgh

The SNP and the Tories have lost a seat each, with the Lib Dems and the Greens picking it up.

Deputy council leader Cammy Day tops the polls for Labour

https://twitter.com/conor_matchett/status/1522531998551744512

That's a massive increase in the Lib Dem vote share.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    HYUFD said:

Sky news miles better than BBC for local results, much more data and results rather than just chat

Cheers. Changed over.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,546

Sounds fishy.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    HYUFD said:

Independents gain Castle Point

Different sorts of Independents, though. One lot on the mainland, different on Canvey Island.

Went to the funeral yesterday of a long standing CP resident; even there people described themselves as Canvey or not Canvey!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Alliance doing well.
    Alliance and Greens are competing for the same voters.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302
    biggles said:

Indeed. I understand Tories expect the embezzlers on their side to be good enough to get away with it and call themselves accountants and bankers.
    Natalie McGarry is an ex SNP MSP. Several worthies of the party including Humza Yousaf have been reluctantly drawn to give evidence in that case which has been a source of considerable entertainment for the last 3 weeks.
  • Options

biggles said:

Wow.

I expect media coverage of the Queen's speech will be dominated by speculation about the Queen's absence, if she's unable to attend.

She's never missed it before, except twice for pregnancy, so for her to miss it now could be significant.
    Very true. Any news that isn’t the Ukraine is about to focus on her, noting the Jubilee as well.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,217
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

kinabalu said:

Nice analysis.

Hello @kinablu, that and your original posts were very good ones. I think both you and GIN are right - this is not going to be a one-term project for Labour given the fundamental issues involved. When it comes to the Leave territory seats, Labour's brand image has been deteriorating not just with the Brexit issue but at least for a decade, and possibly more. That is not the thing you turn around in a heartbeat.

On the alliance with the LDs, I think the Tories would actually enjoy that, even though the maths would suggest that a consolidation of the anti-Tory vote would lead to losses. It would motivate their voting base - particularly in the Leave hinterland - and, for wealthy, Home Counties Remain seats, a lot of voters who might be tempted to go with a LD MP may think that the LDs would essentially allow Labour to set the agenda and so would stick with the Tories.

I would also argue it is wrong to think of two cohorts - Leave vs Remain - and think of three - Leave, Hard Remain (it's their motivating passion) and Soft Remain (i.e. they voted for Brexit but are reconciled to the present and see other issues as more important). Fighting on a Remain vs Leave platform risks allowing the Conservatives to gain the third cohort by focusing on other issues and portraying the other side as fighting the last war.
    Well there's hard and soft Leave as well. And I don't mean refight the Ref as such, I mean fight the election as a binary battle of values. Progressive liberal internationalist vs Trad parochial nationalist. That sort of thing. I think the first would likely win. Just musing, really, but it has to be worth considering if Brexit has left the Cons with a structural FPTP advantage against a divided opposition. Which is my sense of things atm.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,611
    Great thread on Tunbridge Wells by Ukraine war expert Mike Martin

https://twitter.com/threshedthought/status/1522486976422850561?s=21&t=_L4RuF-WHlQwaCbRw5jXVw
  • Options
    Conservatives hold Swindon
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,998
    kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

Hmmm a lib dem revival pretty key to Labours hopes no? Although I suspect by the news bulletins tonight we we be talking about NI and certain contributors may be back to talking about UDI for Ballymena or some such....

In lots of places we are the challengers to the Tories he said. But nothing about Labour.

Unofficial pact as per 1997, it us clear Labour stepped back in some places and so did the Lib Dems. Big problems for the Tories ahead

At the last GE I only had a choice of three parties because of a Green / Lib Dem pact.
    You only had a choice of three parties because of First Past The Post. As long as that continues, parties are inevitably going to make (often informal) pacts to maximise their seat tallies.
    Rubbish.

And people who claim to dislike FPTP because of a supposed or real lack of democracy, who then support electoral pacts, are being inconsistent IMV.
    I prefer pacts to be tacit, and based on targetting seats as per 1997 than not standing a candidate, but pacts are not inconsistent with FPTP, they are a consequence of it.
    Not really. Under many non-FPTP schemes, the pacts happen *after* the election, turning what happened in 2010 into the norm.

As I say, not standing candidates is really poor. Not really trying shows that you don't really believe in what you're saying.
    This is nonsense. Take an extreme example. 100 candidates of various shades of conservatism and 1 socialist candidate. 102 voters. 2 are socialists the rest various shades of conservatism. Socialist candidate wins with 2 votes and under 2% of the vote. That is your idea of democracy? Wouldn't it be better if the conservatives formed a pact or change from FPTP so they can stand and the most popular conservative gets elected.
    Can you give me an example of a UK election where there were '100 candidates of various shades of conservatism and 1 socialist candidate', or is this just a rather extreme fiction?
    Well of course it hasn't happened. I'm giving an extreme example (words I actually used) to point out the nonsense of your argument. But a subset of my example happens at every single election if more than 2 people stand. You are objecting to people forming pacts to get around the unfairness of FPTP. In which case change the system. If you won't do that you can't object to pacts. You are objecting to people refusing to spend time and money so as to commit political suicide by ensuring they can't win. You are actually demanding that someone puts the effort in to standing, which will cause the party they most object to winning by splitting the vote. And you can't see why they may not do this? That is totally daft.
    So you couldn't thin of a better example, one that had actually happened? Whereas I gave an example where it had happened. Having a choice of just three was crass.

After 2010, there were plenty of Labour supporters - I think on here, but it was just before I stopped lurking - who complained about the 'stitch-up' in the coalition negotiations. 'Fairness' seems very much to depend on whether something advantages you or not.

Not standing also has other disadvantages: it pi**es people off who might have voted for your party (i.e. there's no way in heck I'd vote Green in our constituency at the next GE, however good the candidate), you 'lose' solid voters who would vote for you next time, and you lose real data on how many people in a constituency currently support your party.
    Sorry you say I can't think of an actual example? As I pointed out every election where more than 2 people have stood is an example and if you want some extreme examples Stockton in the Alliance years, the Scottish constituency (North East) where in the past it has been a 4 way fight with just hundreds of votes in it, etc. But in fact 100s of the seats are ones where a party standing or standing down can change the result.

I'm sorry JJ, whereas I like most of your posts I find these appallingly arrogant. It takes a lot of work and money to stand and it is also difficult to find people to do so, so to expect someone to do that who has no chance of winning and who will almost certainly then cause their next preferred candidate to lose is asking a lot. Good on those that do, but don't criticize those that don't.

As I said if you don't like what happens (And I don't also. I would prefer more to stand and have a greater choice), don't blame the candidates and the parties, blame the system that drives that outcome.
    I don't believe it's arrogant. I want a healthy, robust democracy, with free speech and lots of different candidates with different ideas. I also believe that the party system has a little too much power atm. These sorts of stitch-ups make our democracy weaker, not stronger. They reduce choice for the voters, and take power away from them into the parties.

I've said many times passim that I appreciate *everyone* who stands for an election - a point I've made to every candidate I've met during this election (it's been a bit hotter around here than normal, esp. between the Conservatives and LDs). Standing for election takes guts, good communication skills and a willingness to undergo public scrutiny that I just do not possess.

I want to see more of that, not less. And ideally I want political parties to have less power.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Alliance doing well.
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Alliance doing well.
    Well. Yes and no. Because they're also competing for transfers too.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,441
    Huntingdonshire Con to NOC.

Lotsa independents

Is the message of this election largely
    "Who runs Britain?"

"Whatevs, but not you."
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,986
    Are some of the hot takes premature? Labour doing well in the south and it looks like tactical voting is back in a big way.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    Q: What do Boris Becker and Neil Parish have in common?

A: It'll be a while before they're allowed anywhere near the net again
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262
    tlg86 said:

Shout going out to the Englefield Green massive!

Tories lose a third seat in Runnymede
    Another Runnymede result: Englefield Green West has elected Abby King of the Labour and Co-operative Party with 403 votes. That was previously a Conservative seat, so that's now three seats they have lost in the borough, two of which have been to Labour. It also means that both Englefield Green seats that the Conservatives were defending have been lost.

Surrey is turning away from the tories. This is going to send shockwaves through the party. There are big hitting MPs in Surrey who are NOT going to be happy.

Johnson's days could still be numbered.
  • Options
    Thrasher and Curtice decided on the narrative last night and seem reluctant to accept that it’s a mixed picture further north with Labour doing better today in the Red Wall areas .
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

Rubbish.

It's been the consistent Tory line since about 1983, though.
    I am not a Tory. Yesterday I voted two* LD, one*Ind. I don;t think I've voted Conservative at any level since 2017.

Dismissing an argument you don't like as a 'Tory' line is a little silly. I guess you don't actually have a robust argument against what I've said?
    No, I was responding to kjh, and not you - simply pointing out that the Conservative party has celebrated the utility of FPTP in keeping them in power for extended periods of time on a minority vote.
    I wouldn't presume to know how you vote.

This was the bit that prompted my reply about Tories making the same argument since 1983:
    ...You are objecting to people forming pacts to get around the unfairness of FPTP. In which case change the system. If you won't do that you can't object to pacts...
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Tory net losses at 129 out of 681.
    Just under a fifth. Looking at somewhere around the 250 mark pro rata. A little worse than I was expecting tbh.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,256
    edited May 2022
    Alistair said:

The more you dig into the details the worse it gets. They seem to have been spectacularly transfer unfriendly.
    Yes. The Greens beat them to the final seat in Forth with transfers after starting more than 250 votes behind on first preferences.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Alliance doing well.
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Alliance doing well.
    Well. Yes and no. Because they're also competing for transfers too.
    Fair enough.

My guess is that it will be a very good election for Alliance, but in part, due to hoovering up votes from the Greens and SDLP. A very good election for Sinn Fein, but with a smaller overall nationalist vote share. And a very good election for TUV, at the expense of the DUP.
  • Options
    BJO accuses me of cherry picking, when he is the one who will only post polls that show Labour going down, not up.

He says the 18 locals are a superb performance for St Jeremy but the results today are a disaster for Labour.

Let's face it, he made up his mind yesterday.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262

Are some of the hot takes premature?

Yes I was trying to say this in the early hours.

John Curtice did not have his finest night.
  • Options

So I was defeated as expected, but came 3rd on first preference votes (ahead of the 2nd Tory who won) and ran it to 5 rounds of counting before a result was declared.

Not bad for a paper candidate...

I would vote for you Rochdale, friend. Well done.
  • Options

So I was defeated as expected, but came 3rd on first preference votes (ahead of the 2nd Tory who won) and ran it to 5 rounds of counting before a result was declared.

An ideal result for you ?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Alliance doing well.
    What's the read out across NI? Unionist <-> Unionist or Unionist <-> Nationalist changes?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314
    biggles said:

It is surely better to be thought of as an embezzler than an accounatant or banker, no?
  • Options

Sounds like you did OK, well done, though glad the Tory won
  • Options
    Heathener said:

To be fair, Curtice said in the run up to GE19 that the Lib Dems would win 100 seats I recall
  • Options
    Somerset is officially a bloodbath for the Tories . The Lib Dems are doing extremely well .
  • Options
    Coventry Result #LE2022:

LAB: 13 (=)
    CON: 4 (-1)
    GRN: 1 (+1)

Council Now: LAB 39, CON 14, GRN 1.
    Labour HOLD.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    dixiedean said:

Tory net losses at 129 out of 681.
    Just under a fifth. Looking at somewhere around the 250 mark pro rata. A little worse than I was expecting tbh.

Not a representative sample of results though?
  • Options
    RESULT: Rossendale - LABOUR GAIN FROM NO PARTY MAJORITY
    Full results:
  • Options
    Heathener said:

True . Both he and Thrasher decided what the narrative was and now refuse to move away from this .
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,986
    Sky analysis miles better than BBC and ahead of the curve... they are spotting that Labour is doing well in parts of the home counties / SE.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    MrEd said:

Hemsworth (Wakefield):

Labour GAIN from IND.

Huge result in Wakefield

Are you alright?
    Whilst I get your point of cheerypicking, that is uncalled for - @CorrectHorseBattery is one of the most polite posters on here and, while he has strong views, he puts it across without becoming personal.
    "cheerypicking" - neologism of the day!
  • Options

Heathener said:

To be fair, Curtice said in the run up to GE19 that the Lib Dems would win 100 seats I recall
    I doubt if he did say that.
  • Options
    Hey @nico679 hope you are doing well.
  • Options

Sky analysis miles better than BBC and ahead of the curve... they are spotting that Labour is doing well in parts of the home counties / SE.

It cannot be Brexit in the Red Wall, it's far too mixed.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Nigelb said:

Japanese Prime Minister Kishida:
    "We will utilise nuclear reactors with safety assurances to contribute to worldwide reduction of dependence on Russian energy”

https://twitter.com/HelloMrBond/status/1522455717105618945

Restarting the power stations has been policy since forever. The problem is that it's not the central government's decision: Local governors have to sign off, and if activists are able to poke a hole in the emergency planning they can get a court to stop it. For instance there's a plant near me with a load of hospitals nearby, and they have to show that a hospital with hundreds of patients can be evacuated. They'd need dozens of ambulances, and they only have one...
  • Options

Huntingdonshire Con to NOC.

Lotsa independents

Is the message of this election largely
    "Who runs Britain?"

"Whatevs, but not you."

Interesting and shows the changes post Brexit. In the dying years of the Major government Westminster, Wandsworth and Huntingdonshire were some of the few councils which stayed blue and resisted the New Labour tide. Now all have gone Labour or NOC.

However in other more pro Brexit areas like Harlow and Swindon which were Labour in the 1990s, the Conservatives are still in control
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,226
    We also picked up a seat in Fraserburgh North from the Tories :)
  • Options
    South Belfast is looking like Alliance 2, DUP 1, SDLP 1, SF 1, with the Greens losing their seat to Alliance.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

I doubt if he did say that.
    https://www.libdemvoice.org/professor-john-curtice-predicts-record-number-of-mps-for-parties-other-than-the-tories-and-labour-62469.html

Yes, he did.

“The SNP look set to win the vast majority of seats in Scotland. The Liberal Democrats given their position in the polls should do extremely well. We expect Caroline Lucas and the Green Party to hang on to her seat.

“We could have more than 100 MPs that do not belong to either of the other two parties”
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

This time last year: The Tory hegemony has a rock-solid foundation and will last another decade at least, Labour are marooned on an island of electoral irrelevance. Now: Labour are losing wards in their 169th target seat, this is a disaster for them

The lesson from that has passed you by sadly. Things change over time and not always the way you like,.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Scottish parties so far, in terms of numbers of councillors:

Grn +150%
    SLD +70%
    SLab + 17%
    SNP -2%
    Ind -13%
    SCon -21%
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

Rubbish.

So you couldn't thin of a better example, one that had actually happened? Whereas I gave an example where it had happened. Having a choice of just three was crass.

After 2010, there were plenty of Labour supporters - I think on here, but it was just before I stopped lurking - who complained about the 'stitch-up' in the coalition negotiations. 'Fairness' seems very much to depend on whether something advantages you or not.

Not standing also has other disadvantages: it pi**es people off who might have voted for your party (i.e. there's no way in heck I'd vote Green in our constituency at the next GE, however good the candidate), you 'lose' solid voters who would vote for you next time, and you lose real data on how many people in a constituency currently support your party.
    Sorry you say I can't think of an actual example? As I pointed out every election where more than 2 people have stood is an example and if you want some extreme examples Stockton in the Alliance years, the Scottish constituency (North East) where in the past it has been a 4 way fight with just hundreds of votes in it, etc. But in fact 100s of the seats are ones where a party standing or standing down can change the result.

I'm sorry JJ, whereas I like most of your posts I find these appallingly arrogant. It takes a lot of work and money to stand and it is also difficult to find people to do so, so to expect someone to do that who has no chance of winning and who will almost certainly then cause their next preferred candidate to lose is asking a lot. Good on those that do, but don't criticize those that don't.

As I said if you don't like what happens (And I don't also. I would prefer more to stand and have a greater choice), don't blame the candidates and the parties, blame the system that drives that outcome.
    I don't believe it's arrogant. I want a healthy, robust democracy, with free speech and lots of different candidates with different ideas. I also believe that the party system has a little too much power atm. These sorts of stitch-ups make our democracy weaker, not stronger. They reduce choice for the voters, and take power away from them into the parties.

I've said many times passim that I appreciate *everyone* who stands for an election - a point I've made to every candidate I've met during this election (it's been a bit hotter around here than normal, esp. between the Conservatives and LDs). Standing for election takes guts, good communication skills and a willingness to undergo public scrutiny that I just do not possess.

I want to see more of that, not less. And ideally I want political parties to have less power.
    Well I agree with you re parties. I would like to see them weakened also. I would like to see more Indies. I also would like to see the whipping process weakened. However as I have said if you want to see that then you need to get rid of FPTP because it drives the opposite of all that. It creates a 2 party system.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

I think you're a bit over excited by this, local and national elections don't correlate brilliantly. The Lib Dems will tell you that from bitter experience in 2015.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think you're a bit over excited by this, local and national elections don't correlate brilliantly. The Lib Dems will tell you that from bitter experience in 2015.
    I'm having a great day, I'm wasted!
  • Options
    🚨 🚨🚨 Keir Starmer is set to be investigated by police over beergate, reports Telegraph
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222

A very solid result. Well done and thank you!
This discussion has been closed.