Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The overnight scorecard looks bad for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Sandpit said:

It's possible that the Ukrainians have hit another Russian warship in the Black Sea. Reportedly this is one of their new frigates.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1522509777053618176

Counterargument:
    https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1522510890393812993?t=4x5RPn905YhdLFToVLG3aw&s=19
    Yes. Notable that it's not been officially announced by the Ukrainians. Think this is much less likely to have happened now.
    There’s definitely something going on there, lots of boats around and a US surveillance drone keeping watch from 55,000’.

Fingers crossed she’s joining Moskva on the bottom.
    Surely the US surveillance aircraft and drones are flying around the Black Sea all the time at present. I don't think that in itself indicates anything is going on. Dunno about the boats, though.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    GIN1138 said:

kinabalu said:

Morning all. So, a new dawn has broken has it not? No, it hasn’t.

It’s still all to play for, with an economic shit-storm coming and Johnson certain to become ever more palpably crass and trivial in how he conducts himself, but with apols to my PB Lab comrades, based on these locals, ‘head over heart’ instructs me to revise my GE central expectation for betting purposes from hung parliament PM Starmer to small Con majority PM Johnson.

I’m sliding back to my previous unwelcome view that Brexit has changed the game by creating a new (and strong) political identity to the benefit of the Cons (so long as they stay Brexity) and the detriment of Labour. There’s enough of this identity in the ‘red wall’ for them to retain a good proportion of the seats they won there in 2019 and enough habitual tory voters in the shires and the south – inc the deeply reprehensible ‘hold the nosers’ - to win plenty there too. And then of course the bizarre Midlands who do a decent impression of actually liking the modern Conservative party, finding it pleasing to the eye with a sunny personality and GSOH.

Add it together and with FPTP doing its crazy thing it’s enough. A Con majority of 15 seats, something like that. False precision, I know, and no spreadsheet as yet, and of course ‘long way to go and only a fool’, but this is the look & feel of it from where I’m sitting (which is in Regents Park, nice day).

London has again voted superbly well (eg my Wandsworth bet landed easily) but I can’t get too excited about this when the rest of the country flops. This seems to have become a pattern and if it continues thoughts will have to turn to independence. A situation whereby we, the capital city, keep having low rent Tory governments foisted upon us is simply not tenable in the long run. Strategy for this? I’m of the ‘gradualist’ persuasion. I don’t want to see Sadiq going for wildcat referendums or the like. Let’s just build the requisite majority for “Yes” over the piece and then hold a legal vote when we’re confident of winning it.

Nice analysis.

Basically, a party doesn't go from the kind of defeat Labour suffered in 2019 straight to government within one parliamentary term. It's a two term project but it's made more difficult by Starmer being dull as dishwater and also being mainly associated with the "People's Vote" shenanigans in the 17-19 Parliament.

One more Con win with a small majority in 2023/2024, Labour ditch Starmer and return to government in 2028/2029 with the 2030's likely to be a Labour decade is my best guess.
    Of course it does depend on Labour choosing someone sensible after Starmer and not going for another Corbynista.

They wouldn't be that silly would they?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,216

Cyclefree said:

If Starmer has any sense he'd get himself up pronto to the Lake District to bask in the Labour victories here. Not go on about Westminster and Wandsworth.

He should come to Millom, which May visited after Trudi Harrison won Copeland in early 2017. It would be a good way of showing three things:-

1. Labour has started the process of reversing the shift to the Tories in traditional Labour seats which that Copeland victory demonstrated.
    2. Labour will pay proper attention to areas such as this - forgotten under previous Labour governments, promised the moon by the Tories but let down by them.
    3. Labour will not just be a complacent London-centric party. There is a danger for Labour in doing that. It is its comfort-zone but it is not the way to win elections nor the way to govern effectively.

I will even throw in a tour of my lovely garden and he can look at the Iron Line proposals.

Come on, Keir. You can do it!

It is all about Wandsworth and London for Starmer, Labour and the media and if he was good at politics he would have been to Cumberland first with the cameras announcing labour's success
    London has been trending Labour, even when -nationally- Labour were being shellacked. So agreed, it is important.

Meanwhile the Lib Dems are outperforming expectations in Scotland too. Just topped the poll in Dunfermline from previous 7th place.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173

Jonathan said:

BJO delighted when his supposed party for life has few bad results in. Fake Labour

Personal insults will not make the results outside London any better.

See what Sir John Curtice said.
    So do you agree that 2018 was bad or not because St Jeremy was in charge?
    What are you talking about?

Curtice just said Labour outside London are doing worse than 2018 under Corbyn.

Wait for the predicted vote share later today and then explain why it doesn't match the Polls
    If Corbyn were leader BJO would be celebrating these results today. The desperation of the left to venerate the bearded one is rather touching.
    Nah the desperation of Centrists to pretend all his results were a disaster is pathetic.

SKS over 2 LEs 2021 and 2022 is well down on the equivalent 2017 and 2018 results but can't admit it because everything about Corbyn has to be portrayed as a disaster.
    If we ignore London, Southampton, probably Wales and Scotland and just focus on Hull, Starmer had an absolute shocker compared to the Bearded Wonder.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Here's a 'where am I?', really for Morris if he's on - once one of the most important cities in the world (listed as one of the principal nine by one classical text), it was sacked by Attila and never recovered, now a smallish Italian town well off the tourist trail, although with a fair few Roman columns scattered about, and a bit of a boating scene going on...

Acquileia.
    Top of the class. Just off to have a look round the Roman ruins..
    I was fortunate to have read about in John Julius Norwich's History of Byzantium.
  • Options
    Lomond (West Dubartonshire) 1st Prefs:

Lab: 45.3% (+12.8)
    SNP: 30.6% (-4.7)
    Con: 13.6% (-7.9)
    WDCP: 10.4% (+4.8)

Elected: 2 Lab, SNP (+1 Lab, -1 Con)
    Turnout: tbc #BBSLE22 ^AF

This is a good omen for Scottish Labour. Could they even get a majority on West Dunbartonshire?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    Sir Keir Starmer says Labour's victories mean the party is "back on track" for the next General Election and the results are a "massive turning point" for the left.

#LocalElections2022 : https://election.news.sky.com/ https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1522521554516652032/video/1
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

@Heathener - details of the counts in Surrey:

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/surrey-local-elections-2022-live-23874953

Of the six Surrey councils that had elections yesterday, Tandridge District Council is the only one to have completed its count overnight. Here is when counts start in the other five:

Elmbridge: 9am
    Runnymede: 9.30am
    Reigate and Banstead: 11am
    Mole Valley: 11.30am
    Woking: 1pm

Tandridge wasn't great for the Tories (although they lost two to independents rather than Lib Dems)...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2022/england/councils/E07000215

Thanks for this.

I'm chewing my nails!!!
    That’s a filthy habit. Take up smoking.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    Lennon said:

Selebian said:

O/T We were discussing the latest WHO excess deaths numbers yesterday, and in particular those for Germany and Sweden, which looked a bit odd, verging (in Germany's case) on totally implausible.

Well, see here:

https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1522482273085440000

Haven't read into it, but I'd be surprised if it was just spline fitting. I'd expect it to be demographics based with some taking account of recent perturbations (e.g. if there has been a light/heavy year for deaths then the next year might be the opposite).

The Sweden graph, FWIW, suggests it's a bit more than just splines, to me.

The best analysis, which will take a few years for the data to be available, might be to model deaths on data before and after the pandemic, based on demographics, and use those to impute the baseline for the pandemic years.
    Which is a valid suggestion, except that you won't be able to remove any COVID-tail effect which I have a hypothesis is going to be non-negligable. (That is, that excess deaths in the next 5 years or so will be higher than in a non-pandemic universe, and I think that this is principally going to be due to lockdown rather than COVID. Think cancer patients who have been identified late, and so whilst the primary is now being dealt with suffer from secondarys in a couple of years etc)
    Yeah, taking those effects into account, e.g. change in mortality rates for cancers, and/or really starting later (i.e. I don't think this year's data would be particulary good to form part of that estimate, maybe not the next couple). And that's years down the line, so more of academic interest.

Using simply the previous five year average might be as good as anything, certainly for an estimate right now, as LostPassword mentioned earlier. Probably fairly good for most western nations unless there are big demographic changes just kicking in around 2020. Less good for e.g. Syria and other recent warzones, but the Covid and even all cause deaths data from countries like that are probably pretty poor anyway.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584
    Sandpit said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1522514004337471488

“In a daily estimation of Russian loses General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine added +1 boat this morning”

She’s not a small ship either. 409’, 4000 tons, built in 2017.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-russian-frigate-e2-80-98admiral-makarov-e2-80-99-might-be-the-juiciest-target-in-the-black-sea/ar-AAWYA1z

Also the biggest boat the Russians can independently build currently (the larger vessels all relied on propulsion systems built in Ukraine).

The Chinese are the serious naval players these days.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_055_destroyer
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Phil said:

EPG said:

So, the Green Party was the dog that did not bark.

Greens displaced the Labour leader in Oxford. LibDems had stood down in their favour though, so that may have had some considerable effect.
    Not the leader. That's Susan Brown, who kept her seat. They displaced Colin Cook, who's chairman of the planning committee.
    Colin Cook (Labour) has held that seat for donkey's.

He was my Councillor when I lived in that ward ~ 20 years ago.

I was leading a dissolute life then which resulted in the kind of hopelessness and lack of direction that drives people to vote Liberal Democrat :)

It was the ward in which OGH once stood as a candidate :)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277

For once the SCons seem to have managed their expectations completely honestly.

Looks like I am going back to an SNP council again. Hey ho. The efficiency of the Unionist vote has definitely declined this time, probably because the Tories are making themselves so unattractive to their own supporters, let alone unionist inclined supporters of other parties. Its a bit like when I voted Tory in the GE when Labour were a (distant) second because I could not thole voting for Corbyn.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Hartlepool Constituency:

LAB gain local plurality from Ind

Con : 35.6 (+10.1 from 2021, -16.3 from BE21)
    Lab: 42.8 (+11.4, +13.7)
    LD: 1.3 (+0.7, +0.1)
    Ind: 16.1 (-15.4, +4.4)
    Oth: 4.1 (-6.9, -1.8) (mainly fringe right)

2021 was an all seats up year, so balance of candidates has changed substantiallly, with Con only standing 1/3 in most wards last year and a full slate this year and fewer Ind and Others this year. All LE21 votes were counted.

Nonetheless Lab hitting 40% with other numbers and candidate spread closer to GE levels seems OK.

BJO please explain?
    “LAB gain local plurality from Ind”

They should have worn a mask, they wouldn’t have such a bad chest now.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. B2, sorry for the late reply.

Bit rubbish on the later Western Empire. Mr. F might well be right. I would've guessed Mediolanum (upon checking, it's effectively Milan now and so can't possibly be right, but the name's different enough I didn't connect the two).
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    DavidL said:

Looks like I am going back to an SNP council again. Hey ho. The efficiency of the Unionist vote has definitely declined this time, probably because the Tories are making themselves so unattractive to their own supporters, let alone unionist inclined supporters of other parties. Its a bit like when I voted Tory in the GE when Labour were a (distant) second because I could not thole voting for Corbyn.
    Turnout not too bad, anyway.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Of course it does depend on Labour choosing someone sensible after Starmer and not going for another Corbynista.

They should go for Wes Streeting. He seems to be the only Shadow Cabinet member who sounds convincing and isn't scared to talk sense. He even knows the difference between a man and a woman: a low bar, I know, but one which, incredibly, most of them fail.
    Labour's problem is that they always have a good reason to choose another average white man as leader.

I am not sure they can carry on doing this.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801
    Looks like a horror show for the Tories in Scotland .
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231
    I forgot that the Tories topped the first preference vote at the Edinburgh city council elections in 2017. Wild.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Turnout not too bad, anyway.
    Certainly higher than I expected. The lack of interest around here, other than from the very well funded SNP, has been palpable.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    How bad must the Labour council be in Enfield
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Sandpit said:

“In a daily estimation of Russian loses General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine added +1 boat this morning”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-russian-frigate-e2-80-98admiral-makarov-e2-80-99-might-be-the-juiciest-target-in-the-black-sea/ar-AAWYA1z

Hilarious that Russia appears to be losing ships to a country that hasn't put a ship to sea in the whole war.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Here's a 'where am I?', really for Morris if he's on - once one of the most important cities in the world (listed as one of the principal nine by one classical text), it was sacked by Attila and never recovered, now a smallish Italian town well off the tourist trail, although with a fair few Roman columns scattered about, and a bit of a boating scene going on...

Acquileia.
    I was fortunate to have read about in John Julius Norwich's History of Byzantium.
    But is it for the general reader?

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Phil said:

EPG said:

Greens displaced the Labour leader in Oxford. LibDems had stood down in their favour though, so that may have had some considerable effect.
    Not the leader. That's Susan Brown, who kept her seat. They displaced Colin Cook, who's chairman of the planning committee.

I was leading a dissolute life then which resulted in the kind of hopelessness and lack of direction that drives people to vote Liberal Democrat :)

Indeed. I like Colin, he knows his stuff. Political considerations aside, he'll be a loss to Oxford Labour and to decent scrutiny of planning applications, though there's an argument that neither Westgate nor Oxford North should have got through in the forms they did.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

One thing the Govt has yet to address or admit is the degree to which Brexit is fuelling UK inflation. Business leaders say it’s the thing “no one talks about” esp firms who want to keep Govt contracts
    https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/1522477132500381696

Eurozone inflation 7.5%
    UK inflation 7.0%

Is the degree that Brexit is fuelling UK inflation -0.5% Scott?
    If unemployment climbs to 5.5 as predicted, will you let us use the word stagflation?
    Thankfully, there’s currently a labour shortage.

A glut of early retirements during the pandemic, and the ending of FoM with the EU, has seen vacancies at record rates, adverts offering sign-on bonuses, and 20% wage premiums on a lot of low-paid work.

The unemployment forecast was the one item that just didn’t look right in the forecast. The inflation is real though, and the China Covid situation is likely to squeeze supply chains for the next year at least.
    “ The unemployment forecast was the one item that just didn’t look right in the forecast. “

No it’s not. It’s extremely plausible that in a downturn people can lose their jobs.

You might be wrong on basis how this works to sectors. Certain sectors could be in stagflation where the country overall isn’t.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Hilarious that Russia appears to be losing ships to a country that hasn't put a ship to sea in the whole war.
    Russia has the second best navy in the conflict, after Ukraine's army.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,521
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Also the biggest boat the Russians can independently build currently (the larger vessels all relied on propulsion systems built in Ukraine).

The Chinese are the serious naval players these days.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_055_destroyer
    If it's gone, the Indians can wave goodbye to the first of the three they ordered, which was due this year.

Tricky to get into the Black Sea, mind.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Sandpit said:

And before the really serious anti-ship weapons turn up too.

Hopefully the blockade of Odesa is now over, and Ukranian food exports can get going.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

They should go for Wes Streeting. He seems to be the only Shadow Cabinet member who sounds convincing and isn't scared to talk sense. He even knows the difference between a man and a woman: a low bar, I know, but one which, incredibly, most of them fail.
    Labour's problem is that they always have a good reason to choose another average white man as leader.

I am not sure they can carry on doing this.
    Diane Abbott ticks almost all of your boxes. Worth a try, surely?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    'Winning seats is bad for Labour' so far my favourite take of the day, leaving aside whether 'rich elite' is a true characterisation of London, NB it isn't https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1522512352024969219
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Eabhal said:

A mystical SLAB revival that could influence GE '24 might be indicated by gains in Glasgow and the Lanarkshires (N & S), but also Fife, Inverclyde and East/Midlothian.

The SNP coalition with the Greens also starts to make sense. They could cause havoc in the marginals, have a weird feeling about Edinburgh (hardly any SNP posters round me, loads of Greens).

If election were decided by Posters in Windows then the Greens are going to clean sweep Edinburgh.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    Con hold plurality for LE22 in current Uxbridge & South Ruislip constituency:

Con: 51.2 (-1.4 compared to GE19)
    Lab: 33.6 (-4.0)
    LD: 0.9 (-5.4)
    Green: 10.5 (+8.3)
    Ind 1.2 (+1.0)
    Others 2.7 (+1.8)

* boundary changes since 2018 mean no comparison to last LE

Basically the 2019 dreams of decapitation aren't in range from LE numbers. Boris will have to move on or have a sizeable personal anti-Boris blow up.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,939

Phil said:

EPG said:

Ah, my confusion there. Aplogies.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited May 2022
    Scott_xP said:

'Winning seats is bad for Labour' so far my favourite take of the day, leaving aside whether 'rich elite' is a true characterisation of London, NB it isn't https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1522512352024969219

Labour doing well in most of London and gaining councils like Westminster and Barnet and Wandsworth from the Tories but not everywhere. Labour has lost seats to the Tories in Enfield for example.

Outside of London a mixed picture for them, they have gained seats in some areas like Colchester, Lincoln and Hartlepool but lost them in places like Sunderland and Harlow and failed to make gains in Swindon. They also lost Hull to the LDs.

The LDs making the biggest advance so far, especially in Remain areas like West Oxfordshire
  • Options

You could have prefaced your post with "greetings from the People's Republic of Southampton". Enjoy!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

It's possible that the Ukrainians have hit another Russian warship in the Black Sea. Reportedly this is one of their new frigates.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1522509777053618176

Counterargument:
    https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1522510890393812993?t=4x5RPn905YhdLFToVLG3aw&s=19
    Countercounterargument
    https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1522525648740560896?t=ZIUrScSSDLi43jLvJ4dp7A&s=19
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,607
    Leon said:

Why are people still working from home?

I just called some daft woman in a PR company and I could hear her dog barking, her partner chatting, her plumber arriving, and the woman herself was an echoey voice in a tin bucket, barely comprehensible

She said "Yes, I'm working from home, it's not ideal sorry you can't hear me"

WELL GET BACK TO THE FUCKING OFFICE THEN

I've had enough of these shirkers.

*stares at the Aegean; orders another coffee*

Very good.

The last time I went in to the office, the first thing someone said to me on the first Teams call of the day was to complain about the level of background noise. WFH, I have a mute button for the TV. No such option for shouty colleagues in the office.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Very early days, but looking like:

SLD tremendous
    Greens tremendous
    SLab good
    SNP meh
    SCon we want Ruth back!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    Scott_xP said:

Sir Keir Starmer says Labour's victories mean the party is "back on track" for the next General Election and the results are a "massive turning point" for the left.

#LocalElections2022 : https://election.news.sky.com/ https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1522521554516652032/video/1

Mandy Rice-Davies applies, I think.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    There have been stories circulating since last night about a Russian frigate being hit by a Ukrainian Neptune missile in the Black Sea. There has been little hard evidence, so didn’t circulate. Now there seems to be better details emerging.\

Euromaidan Pressm @EuromaidanPress
    Explosion followed by a fire occurred on a 🇷🇺project 11356P frigate near Zmiyinyi Island - Odesa media Dumskaya citing its sources

Dumskaya says that 🇷🇺 aircraft are now circling over that area in the Black Sea & ships left Crimea for a rescue operation.
    https://dumskaya.net/news/u-zmeinogo-gorit-rossiyskiy-fregat-164010/

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1522525648740560896
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    Alistair said:

Eabhal said:

A mystical SLAB revival that could influence GE '24 might be indicated by gains in Glasgow and the Lanarkshires (N & S), but also Fife, Inverclyde and East/Midlothian.

The SNP coalition with the Greens also starts to make sense. They could cause havoc in the marginals, have a weird feeling about Edinburgh (hardly any SNP posters round me, loads of Greens).

If election were decided by Posters in Windows then the Greens are going to clean sweep Edinburgh.
    Just a feeling :wink:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

One thing the Govt has yet to address or admit is the degree to which Brexit is fuelling UK inflation. Business leaders say it’s the thing “no one talks about” esp firms who want to keep Govt contracts

Eurozone inflation 7.5%
    UK inflation 7.0%

If unemployment climbs to 5.5 as predicted, will you let us use the word stagflation?

A glut of early retirements during the pandemic, and the ending of FoM with the EU, has seen vacancies at record rates, adverts offering sign-on bonuses, and 20% wage premiums on a lot of low-paid work.

The unemployment forecast was the one item that just didn’t look right in the forecast. The inflation is real though, and the China Covid situation is likely to squeeze supply chains for the next year at least.
    “ The unemployment forecast was the one item that just didn’t look right in the forecast. “

No it’s not. It’s extremely plausible that in a downturn people can lose their jobs.

You might be wrong on basis how this works to sectors. Certain sectors could be in stagflation where the country overall isn’t.
    Were FoM still in place, I’d be inclined to agree with you, but the labour shortage will force firms to invest in both capital and training, especially at the lower end of the labour market.

Many pre-pandemic hospitality workers, for example, are now working as drivers or in warehouses, for considerably more than minimum wage.
  • Options

Other councils are available, if you want to focus on the broader picture 😄
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

So basically, Labour went 1-0 up in 2018, then conceded a terrible, sloppy goal from a set piece in 2019, conceded another two on the break in 2021, but have now scored a second half goal in 2022 and are nearly back to where they were in 2018
    I'm struggling to understand your point of view. You must concede that if Corbyn was still i/c Labour their results and future prospects would be bleak. So for the sake of the Party they chose a new leadewr SKS. Is your problem that you didn't agree with the Pary's choice? If so that's a rather bitter position to take. You surely didn't think they should have stuck with Corbyn?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Eurozone inflation 7.5%
    UK inflation 7.0%

Were FoM still in place, I’d be inclined to agree with you, but the labour shortage will force firms to invest in both capital and training, especially at the lower end of the labour market.

Many pre-pandemic hospitality workers, for example, are now working as drivers or in warehouses, for considerably more than minimum wage.
    Its almost like people have got what they voted for.

And with inflation lower than in the Eurozone. That wasn't in the script.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    It's a bit disappointing that the best data on the Scottish Parliament election can be found on the House of Commons library site.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,166
    Cyclefree said:

If Starmer has any sense he'd get himself up pronto to the Lake District to bask in the Labour victories here. Not go on about Westminster and Wandsworth.

He should come to Millom, which May visited after Trudi Harrison won Copeland in early 2017. It would be a good way of showing three things:-

1. Labour has started the process of reversing the shift to the Tories in traditional Labour seats which that Copeland victory demonstrated.
    2. Labour will pay proper attention to areas such as this - forgotten under previous Labour governments, promised the moon by the Tories but let down by them.
    3. Labour will not just be a complacent London-centric party. There is a danger for Labour in doing that. It is its comfort-zone but it is not the way to win elections nor the way to govern effectively.

I will even throw in a tour of my lovely garden and he can look at the Iron Line proposals.

Of course he can't

If it was Johnson he would be all over it.

Labour are a metropolitan big city party and they will revel in Wandsworth and Westminster and neglect the towns and the provinces.

Rather like their time in office.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Ed Davey: “The earthquake in North Shropshire has turned into a shockwave across our country…I think the tectonic plates of British politics are shifting. I think it’s up to Conservative MPs to shove Boris Johnson into the abyss.”
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1522518343206543361

Biblical. Truly biblical.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

But, as usual, the BBC's utterly crap coverage of the local elections gives a very distorted view. Those who count overnight, and in particular those in London, set the tone for the BBC and we had a smiling SKS (standing outside a public toilet somewhat weirdly) in hours of reports. Even now the Lib Dems are not getting the credit they deserve in the headlines.

My guess is that the perception will be that Labour has done far better in these elections than they actually have.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cicero said:

SLD tremendous
    Greens tremendous
    SLab good
    SNP meh
    SCon we want Ruth back!

Our own @RochdalePioneers had a very respectable result for a paper candidate. Well Done him! (probably relieved not to win though :smile:
    He did!

[specifics deleted: I'll let him do it himself if he wants, a bit too close to personal ID on reflection]
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,166
    Cicero said:

SLD tremendous
    Greens tremendous
    SLab good
    SNP meh
    SCon we want Ruth back!

Our own @RochdalePioneers had a very respectable result for a paper candidate. Well Done him! (probably relieved not to win though :smile:
    How did he get on ?
  • Options
    Rushed calcs from me.

Red Wall/marginals
    = 3-4% swing to Lab from GE19
    = 2% swing to Con from LE18

Safer Tory/ex-LD territory
    = 9% swing to Lab from GE19 (due to big Con drops to LD/Grns really)
    = 3% swing to Lab from LE18
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Mandy has been working as hard today as she did in the years between being "Miss Austin" (cars) and Stephen Ward's trial.
  • Options
    A reminder that headlining figures in terms of *votes* in Scotland is a tricky beast under STV - here's a ward where the SNP got 34% of first-preferences to Labour's 31%, but it's Labour who gain a seat and have two to the SNP's one (with the Greens also getting in on the party)
    Quote Tweet

Ballot Box Scotland @BallotBoxScot

Musselburgh (E Lothian) 1st Prefs:

SNP: 34.3% (+1.2)
    Lab: 31% (+8.1)
    Con: 14.7% (-4.6)
    Grn: 13.5% (+6.9)
    LD: 4.2% (-1.9)
    Alb: 1.1% (New)
    SFP: 1.1% (New)

Elected: Lab x2, SNP, Grn (+1 Lab, +1 Grn, -1 SNP, -1 Con)
    Turnout: 45% #BBSLE22 ^LL

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1522526906570223625
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Phil said:

EPG said:

Indeed. I like Colin, he knows his stuff. Political considerations aside, he'll be a loss to Oxford Labour and to decent scrutiny of planning applications, though there's an argument that neither Westgate nor Oxford North should have got through in the forms they did.
    I dislike Colin.

He vigorously opposed a small extension I wanted. I attended the Planning Committee Meeting.

All the Labour Councillors opposed my Loft extension.

I then listened in disbelief to the discussion on the next application -- a complete restructuring of a listed building on behalf of the owner, someone called Councillor Susan Brown 😉😉

Curiously, the same Labour councillors had no qualms about the complete restructuring of the listed building.

I have lived under a number of different Labour/LibDem/Plaid Cymru/NOC Councils -- I have no hesitation in saying Labour's hegemony on Oxford City Council caused the worst run Council I have direct experience of.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    edited May 2022
    Cicero said:

SLD tremendous
    Greens tremendous
    SLab good
    SNP meh
    SCon we want Ruth back!

Figures would oblige! (Too lazy to wade through everything! Furthermore Mrs C want's 'help' with 'things"!)
  • Options
    The Conservatives won Queensbury Ward in Brent, for the first time since 2006, which may have implications for the result in Harrow, a council they only narrowly failed to win in 2018.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Eurozone inflation 7.5%
    UK inflation 7.0%

Broadly I don’t disagree. But you don’t speak for where we are now before change for better from years of investment in training. Rumanian chefs gone home, now can’t get a chef anywhere for example.

What likely to happen, next Tory leader/labour government will allow some bit of FoM to return to address these shortages.
  • Options
    My own analysis of the results so far is:

London will produce at least 5-10 new Labour MPs in 2024.

Labour has good odds of picking up 4-10 seats in Scotland.

The Tories are going backwards in the Red Wall - and Labour will pick up at least 15 seats there.

The Lib Dems could pick up at least 10 seats in the South.

So that on my count, is the Tories down at least 35 seats before the cost of living crisis appears. So they are on a wafer thin majority as of right now.

These are not encouraging signs for them - and these estimates fall right on the edge of my range of reverse 2010 to Labour landslide
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Wow.

A Tory source argues that Labour doing well in London 'is not going to bode well' for them at next general election.

It 'will just reinforce the notion in working class people's eyes that they are now the party of the metropolitan elite, the party of Remainers'

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1522512352024969219

Presumably this is just some kind of spoofery, but the mad thing is that these days I can actually conceive of some kind of Tory idiot saying it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Eabhal said:

THey're tweeting about the Home Office's version ...

https://twitter.com/EdinburghGreens/status/1522296475455303680
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

But, as usual, the BBC's utterly crap coverage of the local elections gives a very distorted view. Those who count overnight, and in particular those in London, set the tone for the BBC and we had a smiling SKS (standing outside a public toilet somewhat weirdly) in hours of reports. Even now the Lib Dems are not getting the credit they deserve in the headlines.

My guess is that the perception will be that Labour has done far better in these elections than they actually have.
    The BBC's early morning analysis was " a good night for Conservatives a bad night for Labour"...and then the London councils fell, and it was a "bad night for the Conservatives and a disappointing night outside London for Labour" (my precis).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584
    Cyclefree said:

Bryant has noticed.
    https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1522482931859656704
    So far no London commentators seem to have noticed this. The victories in Southampton and Cumberland seem as significant as Westminster Wandsworth and Barnet, if not more so?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1522527673301585920

"They will never vote Boris again"

"Johnson has killed the Tory brand"

"Partygate is a total game changer"

"The Red Wall has left Boris"

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Another terrible 2 years for Twitter.

These are the dying days of Johnsonism, Matthew Goodwin has completely lost the plot.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Apparently it's all Mr Ross's fault if the ScoTories have a bad day, says Prof Tomkins:

https://twitter.com/ProfTomkins/status/1522470125307322368?cxt=HHwWgICzgeeg86AqAAAA
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Roger said:

So basically, Labour went 1-0 up in 2018, then conceded a terrible, sloppy goal from a set piece in 2019, conceded another two on the break in 2021, but have now scored a second half goal in 2022 and are nearly back to where they were in 2018
    I'm struggling to understand your point of view. You must concede that if Corbyn was still i/c Labour their results and future prospects would be bleak. So for the sake of the Party they chose a new leadewr SKS. Is your problem that you didn't agree with the Pary's choice? If so that's a rather bitter position to take. You surely didn't think they should have stuck with Corbyn?
    SKS promised to unite all wings of the Party and keep some of the most popular Socialist policies right up to the moment he got elected.

Then he did the complete opposite

I will not support such a duplicitous leader

Under Burnham Labour would be sweeping the Board IMO
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Acquileia.
    The ruins are just scattered about by the roadside, with the traffic passing by dead straight through the town. Then of course you realise that the main road has been there for quite some time...
  • Options
    It looks as if SDLP will lose their seat in North Belfast to Alliance, giving a result of SF 2, DUP 2, Alliance 1.

• Options

Wow.

A Tory source argues that Labour doing well in London 'is not going to bode well' for them at next general election.

It 'will just reinforce the notion in working class people's eyes that they are now the party of the metropolitan elite, the party of Remainers'

Presumably this is just some kind of spoofery, but the mad thing is that these days I can actually conceive of some kind of Tory idiot saying it.

No this is exactly the attitude of today's Tory party and why they are being removed from London and the South East seat by seat.

We are utterly fed up of being insulted and shouted at by these bastards every day. I am not the cause of the issues in the Red Wall.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Bryant has noticed.
    https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1522482931859656704
    So far no London commentators seem to have noticed this. The victories in Southampton and Cumberland seem as significant as Westminster Wandsworth and Barnet, if not more so?
    I think it’s more like, as HY was generously alluding to, progress made in places like Peterborough has slipped under radar. But it’s the sort of vote if reproduced in General Election, can give Labour the seat.
  • Options

Roger said:

SKS promised to unite all wings of the Party and keep some of the most popular Socialist policies right up to the moment he got elected.

Even though under all polling Burnham polls worse than Starmer - okay.

And I watched him run two leadership campaigns, both of which were terrible.
  • Options
    Lincoln Result #LE2022:

LAB: 7 (=)
    CON: 3 (-1)
    LDM: 1 (+1)

Council Now: LAB 22, CON 9, LDM 2.
    Labour HOLD.

Ah well, Labour only do well in London
  • Options
    "The 33 net gains of seats it has registered so far (all of them in London) is a consequence of the decline in Conservative support rather than any electoral advance by Labour" - Prof Sir John Curtice

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1522529221419036673
  • Options

Roger said:

If Starmer fails and you think Burnham is terrible, who would be your preference for next leader?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Something for everyone to celebrate in these elections.

Labour are winning again.
    LibDems are out of their abyss.
    Greens establishing themselves as a force.
    Tories doing well enough to keep big dog.
    SNP holding ground
    Corbynite loyalists have a few holes to whinge about.

It’s a sunny day.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,142
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Acquileia.
    Incredible mosaics. Genuinely mind-blowing. Enjoy
  • Options

Roger said:

If Starmer fails and you think Burnham is terrible, who would be your preference for next leader?
    Rachel Reeves
  • Options
    Can the Tories privatise Wandsworth Council next? Has Nadine been on to tell us all about the success of privatising Lambeth yet?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Trips up North are often fraught with beer and curry action danger for Starmer.

Don't do it!
  • Options

Wow.

No this is exactly the attitude of today's Tory party and why they are being removed from London and the South East seat by seat.

We are utterly fed up of being insulted and shouted at by these bastards every day. I am not the cause of the issues in the Red Wall.
    Graun feed confirms it's real - and further info from Ms Fisher.

Also has a pic of Mr Johnson with a painting of HMtQ he has just made, about Primary 5 standard I reckon. What's he trying to hide on Google like he did with the cardboard buses??
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Lincoln Result #LE2022:

Labour HOLD.

How is that doing well? Labour made no gains.
  • Options
    Take Labour claims about the importance of winning Cumberland with a pinch of salt.

After all It’s the London Borough of Cumberland, not the Red Wall!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The only people having a bad day are the Daily Mail, which should warm the cockles of decent people everywhere.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964
    Sean_F said:

It looks as if SDLP will lose their seat in North Belfast to Alliance, giving a result of SF 2, DUP 2, Alliance 1.

Rumours of an Alliance gain in North Down too. From the Greens.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Lincoln Result #LE2022:

Labour HOLD.

The Tories won this by 3514 in 2019, so this is a swing back to Labour in 2018/2017 when they held this seat. So that is another Tory loss.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Lincoln Result #LE2022:

Labour HOLD.

The Tories won this by 3514 in 2019, so this is a swing back to Labour in 2018/2017 when they held this seat. So that is another Tory loss.
    But that's not comparable.
  • Options
    Deputy Political Editor, The Scotsman:

God almighty the Tories are having an appalling day so far

https://twitter.com/conor_matchett/status/1522531265035083778
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,142

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Eurozone inflation 7.5%
    UK inflation 7.0%

Broadly I don’t disagree. But you don’t speak for where we are now before change for better from years of investment in training. Rumanian chefs gone home, now can’t get a chef anywhere for example.

What likely to happen, next Tory leader/labour government will allow some bit of FoM to return to address these shortages.
    But this is not Brexit. EVERYWHERE in the western world is suffering staff shortages, especially in Hospitality

It was a common theme across the Deep South during my recent trip. There were oyster houses in New Orleans turning away multiple customers "because we one have two waiters, normally we have six". Hotels, cafes, bars, everywhere was begging for staff

Ditto in the EU during my recent visits, and I can see it again here in Turkey, and of course in the UK

Where have they all gone?!
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Leon said:

Why are people still working from home?

I just called some daft woman in a PR company and I could hear her dog barking, her partner chatting, her plumber arriving, and the woman herself was an echoey voice in a tin bucket, barely comprehensible

She said "Yes, I'm working from home, it's not ideal sorry you can't hear me"

WELL GET BACK TO THE FUCKING OFFICE THEN

I've had enough of these shirkers.

*stares at the Aegean; orders another coffee*

Very good.

The last time I went in to the office, the first thing someone said to me on the first Teams call of the day was to complain about the level of background noise. WFH, I have a mute button for the TV. No such option for shouty colleagues in the office.
    I'm doing my one day a month in the office today. Essential to keep in touch with the team and I'd want to do more, but living 120 miles away isn't a viable commute!

Mask wearing on the DLR and tube definitely under 20%, possibly under 10%.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Lincoln Result #LE2022:

Labour HOLD.

But that's not comparable.
    Well erh yes it is. Because it's another swing back in a seat Labour need to win.

Chris Curtice has said the same. I trust his and Opinium's analysis.
  • Options

Roger said:

The last three letters of your post is the key here.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson has just given his first reaction to the locals. Called it a "tough night" in places.

PM said voters sent a "message" to ministers to concentrate on the issues that matter to them.

Also said he takes responsibility for the results.

No PM they sent a message to you to resign.
  • Options
    Big turn up for the books in the Forth ward of Edinburgh

The SNP and the Tories have lost a seat each, with the Lib Dems and the Greens picking it up.

Deputy council leader Cammy Day tops the polls for Labour

https://twitter.com/conor_matchett/status/1522531998551744512
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Jonathan said:

Something for everyone to celebrate in these elections.

Labour are winning again.
    LibDems are out of their abyss.
    Greens establishing themselves as a force.
    Tories doing well enough to keep big dog.
    SNP holding ground
    Corbynite loyalists have a few holes to whinge about.

It’s a sunny day.

I think so. The Tories will now sit back and say: let's give Boris one last chance, but he must realize that he's drinking in Last Chance Saloon, we've tolerated his betrayals and misdemeanours time and time again but no more, this time he really must shine.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,452

Wow.

Nope. This is exactly the angle they will be going for. “You don’t really want loony remainer effete liberal woke metropolitan elite Starmer in charge do you? We got Brexit done. They don’t understand you.”

See the GOP playbook, just slightly less blatantly unpleasant.

They then hope that enough of the middle classes in the shires hold their nose and stick with them for fear of Labour for economic reasons.

I hate to say that I think it’s an electoral strategy that they could squeeze a close victory out of.

Starmer needs to prepare himself for the onslaught that is coming. He also needs to put a lot of work into denting some of those attack lines.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Eurozone inflation 7.5%
    UK inflation 7.0%

But this is not Brexit. EVERYWHERE in the western world is suffering staff shortages, especially in Hospitality

It was a common theme across the Deep South during my recent trip. There were oyster houses in New Orleans turning away multiple customers "because we one have two waiters, normally we have six". Hotels, cafes, bars, everywhere was begging for staff

Ditto in the EU during my recent visits, and I can see it again here in Turkey, and of course in the UK

Where have they all gone?!
    Brexit is going to be blamed though just like the EU used to get blamed for everything. It's the circle of life.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    So looks like Sir Keir Bland wont be our next PM
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,517
    edited May 2022
    BREAKING NEWS!

The Knottingley ward, in Yvette Cooper's constituency, now has three Lib Dem cllrs, losing three Lab cllrs on the bounce.

A well-known local man who stood for Labour lost by 300 votes. The LD guy is not from round 'ere, but he's lived here for 20 years so maybe he's got his W Yorks citizenship.

I thought Labour might squeak it.

Edit - looks like it was the Tories wot swung it. They normally get about a quarter of the vote, got 8.5%. LD 50%, Lab 40%.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801
    I’m sticking to my forecast Scottish Tories will be lucky to get into triple digits in seats .
This discussion has been closed.