Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The election day betting moves to a 2022 Johnson exit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• vinovino Posts: 151
    xxxxx5 said:

Remarkable result from Nuneaton -

the tory gain from Labour?
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    nico679 said:

Seems there was some drama in Worcester where the Tory council leader had a meltdown and buggered off home .

Marc Bayliss? Hahahaha. The people I know in Worcester will be shedding no tears at that.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited May 2022
    xxxxx5 said:

Voters in Nuneaton sticking two fingers up at the main stream media and their poster boy Sir Keir

Is it Tory policy to blame the “main stream media” now?
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Roger said:

nico679 said:

Encouraging results from Sunderland for the Lib Dems and this could spell trouble for the Tories further south .

Sounding like the Red Wall are coming to the Tories aid but elsewhere a dismal night
    “ but elsewhere a dismal night” ?

Hopefully! But we didn’t want Red Wall coming to the Tory’s aid, 2024 needs all that done and dusted and thing of the past!
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Interesting from VoteUK on Camp Hill (Nuneaton & Bedworth)

Lab: 47.1% (-0.1)
    Con: 41.4% (+18.0)
    Grn: 8.1% (+8.1)
    TUSC: 3.4% (+3.4)

Change from 2018

But this was 2021:
    Anthony Cooper Con 737 53.4 +35.7
    *Ian K. Lloyd Lab 449 32.6 - 16.1
    Laura Hulme Grn 151 10.9 + 5.6
    Paul Reilly TUSC 42 3.0

This pattern of Tory and LD progress from 2018 but falling back from 2021 seems characteristic of a lot of the Midlands and North.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    xxxxx5 said:

Voters in Nuneaton sticking two fingers up at the main stream media and their poster boy Sir Keir

Oh, you're one of those people. Ugh.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

xxxxx5 said:

Do you think Tory policy is dictated by an anonymous user on PB?
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    R4: Con leader of Colchester lost seat to LD’s
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534
    Roger said:

nico679 said:

Encouraging results from Sunderland for the Lib Dems and this could spell trouble for the Tories further south .

Sounding like the Red Wall are coming to the Tories aid but elsewhere a dismal night
    I wouldn’t read too much into the ne results as a guide to Labours prospects in the rest of the Red Wall . It’s really too early in the night but I think the Tories are in big trouble where the Lib Dems are the main challengers .
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,282
    dixiedean said:
    Thanks for this.
    RobD said:

xxxxx5 said:

Yes, in that I assume he’s a paid astroturfer operating from a bunker in Tufton Street.
    nico679 said:

Roger said:

nico679 said:

I wouldn’t read too much into the ne results as a guide to Labours prospects in the rest of the Red Wall . It’s really too early in the night but I think the Tories are in big trouble where the Lib Dems are the main challengers .
    Yes. That’s my reading of the night so far.
  • El_SidEl_Sid Posts: 145
    BBC -
    Professor Sir John Curtice

There are signs of a Liberal Democrat advance in the "Blue Wall" territory of Brentwood, in Essex.

In the first five wards declared, their vote was up by 19 percentage points compared with 2018, and by 5 points compared with last year. Meanwhile the Conservatives are down by 2 - 3 points compared with both years.

RobD said:

xxxxx5 said:

Yes, in that I assume he’s a paid astroturfer operating from a bunker in Tufton Street.
    I’d guessed St Petersburg, to be honest.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    Hans Christian Andersen didn't get a fairytale result for the LD's in Benwell and Scotswood.

RobD said:

xxxxx5 said:

No, it's overwhelmingly more likely that he isn't.
    What’s actually happening in Nuneaton?
    tory gain in Bolton
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Bede (Nuneaton & Bedworth) election result:

Conservative GAIN from Labour.

Con: 48.6% (+4.4)
    Lab: 44.0% (-2.1)
    Grn: 7.4% (+7.4)
    edited May 2022
    Raab must be odds on to lose his seat in the GE, shirley?

Whenever the LD’s go for it in the blue wall, they meet a receptive audience.
    El_Sid said:

BBC -
    Professor Sir John Curtice

There are signs of a Liberal Democrat advance in the "Blue Wall" territory of Brentwood, in Essex.

In the first five wards declared, their vote was up by 19 percentage points compared with 2018, and by 5 points compared with last year. Meanwhile the Conservatives are down by 2 - 3 points compared with both years.

Is that all the Tory drop is? 😕
    Would be funny if Keir ended up losing his job after lacklustre council results.
  • xxxxx5xxxxx5 Posts: 38
    Arguably the worst result of the night for Labour (so far) losing seats in Bolton pretty much confirms Labour have failed to win back any red wall voters, if anything more have gone Tory.

Bede (Nuneaton & Bedworth) election result:

Conservative GAIN from Labour.

Con: 48.6% (+4.4)
    Lab: 44.0% (-2.1)
    Grn: 7.4% (+7.4)

Gosh that’s tight. Minuscule numbers made a big result
    ping said:

Raab must be odds on to lose his seat in the GE, shirley?

Whenever the LD’s go for it in the blue wall, they meet a receptive audience.

Unless he chicken runs
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Labour making gains from Tories in Worcester.
    xxxxx5 said:

Arguably the worst result of the night for Labour (so far) losing seats in Bolton pretty much confirms Labour have failed to win back any red wall voters, if anything more have gone Tory.

Hardly any results are in and you’re always going to get local factors . It’s too early to say .
    I wonder if the lesson for the evening for the Conservatives is going to be “play first-past-the-post games, win first-past-the-post prizes”. Now that Labour has a transfer-friendly leader once more, it looks like tactical voting is back in a big way.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Don't think this local election tells us anything much either way about the general election... but this certainly doesn't feel like one of those seminal local elections like 1995/1996 or 2006/2007...
    another tory gain in Harlow - from Labour
    Changes so far, council seats:

Lab -6
    Con -4
    LD +5
    Green +4
    Ind +1

Labour making gains from Tories in Worcester.

Although no declarations have been made yet.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    vino said:

another tory gain in Harlow - from Labour

It's reminiscent of the local elections when loads of Tories were preparing a coup against IDS and then had to backtrack when the results turned out to be pretty good.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited May 2022
    GIN1138 said:

Don't think this local election tells us anything much either way about the general election... but this certainly doesn't feel like one of those seminal local elections like 1995/1996 or 2006/2007...

No, it doesn't, although London may prove different.

Northern Ireland will likely be first, second and third headline if Sinn Fein win - which perhaps both main party leaders will be happy about.

Boris isn't going anywhere immediately.

Back to Sue...
    edited May 2022

I wonder if the lesson for the evening for the Conservatives is going to be “play first-past-the-post games, win first-past-the-post prizes”. Now that Labour has a transfer-friendly leader once more, it looks like tactical voting is back in a big way.

It will have to be. If this green and Libdem vote stays put in seats Labour need to win, they will struggle to get passed 250 or 260 seats at the general elections.

I wouldn’t trust the greens to be honest with you, us libdems are more savvy and anti Boris, the greens I personally know now see themselves at war with and destined to beat everyone, none of the establishment parties worthy of their vote.
    Labour share either goes green or Tory.

Acid test looks to be where it goes the most.
    Will there be pressure Nick for Starmer to go as the results were not great this time last year as he lost Hartlepool 12 months ago.
    nico679 said:

xxxxx5 said:

Hardly any results are in and you’re always going to get local factors . It’s too early to say .
    https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1522365801277399040
    "We know, that just on the vote switching from our poll taken today, Labour gets back to roughly neck-and-neck, i.e. the position they were in in when English seats were last fought in 2018. BUT!!!

There will still be some realignment within this. Since 2018 Labour and Tories voter coalition has changed quite substantially (most notably, Leave voters have moved towards Con, Remain voters have moved towards Lab) so we will still be seeing some of this play through tonight.

AND!

The big unknown we still have is turnout. There is an expectation that more Tory voters won't bother to vote than Labour voters...but we really can't tell until we get more results in.

My best guess at this stage is that both of the above is happening, and it is canceling out in some of the earlier Leave-leaning areas (which is why we are seeing small swings to Con's so far).

When everything plays out, I think we will end up with a small lab lead.
    "
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Over 200 seats declared so far:

Lab = Down 5
    Con = Down 2

It will have to be. If this green and Libdem vote stays put in seats Labour need to win, they will struggle to get passed 250 or 260 seats at the general elections.

I wouldn’t trust the greens to be honest with you, us libdems are more savvy and anti Boris, the greens I personally know now see themselves at war with and destined to beat everyone, none of the establishment parties worthy of their vote.
    People are less likely to vote tactically in council elections , come a GE things will be different . But the trend at the moment looks like the Lib Dems could cause a lot of problems for the Tories in the south .

The greens in my part of the midlands are in chaos. A councillor allegedly sexually harassed a very loud green trans activist. The allegations went all over Twitter and blew apart the - hitherto rather effective - local party. It’s now all out war. On Twitter.

They really are their own worst enemy, these greens.
    edited May 2022
    MikeL said:

Lab = Down 5
    Con = Down 2

I look forward to the spin on this, if it remains the picture throughout the night and tomorrow.
    nico679 said:

People are less likely to vote tactically in council elections , come a GE things will be different . But the trend at the moment looks like the Lib Dems could cause a lot of problems for the Tories in the south .
    It was the greens voting green in general election I was referring to.

News from Prof Curtis
    There has been no sign so far of turnout falling compared with previous local elections.
    Thurrock — Con hold

Con +3 seats
    Lab -3 seat
    Labour gain from Tories in Peterborough
    Andy_JS said:

MikeL said:

Lab = Down 5
    Con = Down 2

I look forward to the spin on this, if it remains the picture throughout the night and tomorrow.
    BJO will be on the war path in the morningl! :D
    Tories hold Nuneaton and Bedworth Council - bbc
    xxxxx5 said:

Will there be pressure Nick for Starmer to go as the results were not great this time last year as he lost Hartlepool 12 months ago.

According to prof Curtice results currently show a 1% swing from Labour to Conservatives. And that’s quite a lot of red wall seats declared now.

Also according to Prof Curtice, There has been no sign so far of turnout falling compared with previous local elections. So despite all expectations of stay at home Disgruntled voters, Tories have clearly got their vote out.
    Approx 280 seats declared:

Lab = Down 8
    Con = Down 2

I guess nothing yet in from London which will probably be worse for Con - but even so pretty good for Con.

No sign yet of currygate-induced outrage in the Balti heartland of the West Midlands:

Quarry Bank and Dudley Wood (Dudley) election result:

Labour HOLD.

Lab: 51.8% (+6.8)
    Con: 39.7% (-1.2)
    LDem: 8.5% (+6.2)
    Sky News:

Lab -11 seats
    Con +4 seats
    LD +3 seats
    Green +3 seats

xxxxx5 said:

According to prof Curtice results currently show a 1% swing from Labour to Conservatives.
    LOL! Really?
    edited May 2022
    BBC Key Ward Analysis so far (all outside London) - vote share change since 2018:

Lab -1
    Con -2
    LD +3
    Green +2
    UKIP -1
    looks like another tory gain from Labour in Harlow
    three on the trot - posts
    GIN1138 said:

xxxxx5 said:

According to prof Curtice results currently show a 1% swing from Labour to Conservatives.
    LOL! Really?
    I'm not surprised at all. The blob is always utterly out of touch with the rest of the country.
    Epping Forest is a CON hold, @HYUFD you can stand down the tank division.

:D
  • MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 156
    What is everyone's final prediction for total Tory seat loses?
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    In Oldham Labour council leader lost to the Conservative candidate in her ward.

Second year in a row with council leader ousted here.
    Tory’s getting bullish about taking Sutton from the Libdems 🙁
    Over 300 seats now declared - that must be a good sample, EXCEPT contains little or no London:

Lab = Down 8
    Con = Down 11

And of course even if Lab does well in London, there are few Con marginals in London.
  • MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 156
    BBC has just jumped Tory loses from -4 to -11
    Bush Fair (Harlow) Conservative GAIN from Labour by 4 votes for those counting

Voting turnout: 27.64%
    Marco Lorenzini Conservative 678 ELECTED
    Kay Morrison Labour 674
    Jennifer Steadman Green Party 116
    William Tennison Liberal Democrats 47

https://www.harlow.gov.uk/voting-and-elections/latest-election-news
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

MikeL said:

Lab = Down 5
    Con = Down 2

BJO will be on the war path in the morningl! :D
    Good job he’s not flipping here!

That sees unlikely given the current composition.
    Andy_JS said:

Thurrock — Con hold

Con +3 seats
    Lab -3 seat

Should this really be happening in so many places? It’s mid term. Partygate. Extra taxes in middle of credit crunch. It don’t make much sense?
    closer to home - tory gain from Labour in Amber Valley

Andy_JS said:

Thurrock — Con hold

Con +3 seats
    Lab -3 seat

Should this really be happening in so many places? It’s mid term. Partygate. Extra taxes in middle of credit crunch. It don’t make much sense?
    Labour still struggling in Leave areas. That pretty much sums it up IMO.

Andy_JS said:

Thurrock — Con hold

Con +3 seats
    Lab -3 seat

It does to me - former Labour voters like me still feel betrayed by Labour on Brexit
    RobD said:

That sees unlikely given the current composition.
    You could get 5/1 on the LDs losing control until a few hours ago.
    El_Sid said:

Kay Morrison Labour 674

Thanks, I'll add it to the spreadsheet.
    ping said:

The greens in my part of the midlands are in chaos. A councillor allegedly sexually harassed a very loud green trans activist. The allegations went all over Twitter and blew apart the - hitherto rather effective - local party. It’s now all out war. On Twitter.

They are nuts. What’s this about the revolution eats it’s own. Sensible long standing greens are getting eaten by weird undernourished vegan wokists. Libdem and Labour can’t rely on these people for support, they are now on a mission.
    How many Labour supporters on this site voted leave? none?
    This all seems incredibly low key for a Government in mid-term in complete disarray with the economy looking dreadful.
    Sky News — LDs saying they've won Hull.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    vino said:

Andy_JS said:

Thurrock — Con hold

Con +3 seats
    Lab -3 seat

It does to me - former Labour voters like me still feel betrayed by Labour on Brexit
    Also Starmer drinking in Durham and the fact that Labour have no idea how to address any of the economic problems the country faces - in fact it would probably make them even worse in a number of ways.

Centre-left politics is all about spending more of other people's money, and, as Brown found out, when there is none, it has nothing to say.

Andy_JS said:

Thurrock — Con hold

Con +3 seats
    Lab -3 seat

Leave areas don't trust the man most associated with "people's vote" / trying to cancel Brexit?
    Interesting reports coming in from the south coast .

BBC reporter hearing from Tories in Portsmouth that it could be a bloodbath there !
    The tories who are currently ensuring the worst cost of living crisis in a generation and potentially leading the country into a recession are still doing better than Labour. This just shows what a mess the Labour Party is in and that Keir isn’t the man to bring the W for labour.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    El_Sid said:

Kay Morrison Labour 674

Pro Brexit areas still holding up relatively well for the Tories. Better in London for Labour and the LDs having a good night so far.

In Epping Forest the only Tory loss was Theydon Bois to the LDs by a very narrow margin
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Thurrock — Con hold

Con +3 seats
    Lab -3 seat

Leave areas don't trust the man most associated with "people's vote" / trying to cancel Brexit?
    Nail on head
    Lib-Dem's back in business. Setting up the next Con-Lib coalition around 2040? ;)
    Should Mike's next thread be about a market for Starmers exit, rather than Boris?

ping said:

They are nuts. What’s this about the revolution eats it’s own. Sensible long standing greens are getting eaten by weird undernourished vegan wokists. Libdem and Labour can’t rely on these people for support, they are now on a mission.
    Flipping eck. I’m beginning to sound just like Leon. Maybe I’m getting old.
    Andy_JS said:

Sky News — LDs saying they've won Hull.

Wow! Take that. Take it. We give it to you, you take it. Suck it down Starmer. Suck it down.

Jiggle them baby, jiggle them!

I’m jiggling jiggling!
    Not sure that Labour have gained a single seat yet.

Still early days, with 20/146 councils in.
    vino said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Thurrock — Con hold

Con +3 seats
    Lab -3 seat

Nail on head
    Brexit Brexit bloody Brexit. It’s still alive and well in English and Wales voting. The country still has Boris beating through its veins 🙁 🙁 🙁
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Livestream from Coventry count for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUzEr5JtuFU
    Ah, with that 3 pop up in Redditch.
    edited May 2022

Niche
    Popular vote, Harlow:

Con 8,945
    Lab 7,182
    Green 1,779
    Harlow Alliance 461
    LD 47
    TUSC 46

Con 48.5%
    Lab 38.9%
    Green 9.6%
    Harlow Alliance 2.5%
    LD 0.3%
    TUSC 0.2%
    Why are the BBC Sky etc results websites so bad? I want to see gains/losses and net, and a matrix of who gained how many seats off which party. It's not difficult.
    ping said:

Niche
    Not at all.
    After an okay start for the Tories the wheels look like they’re coming off now .

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Hull, the place where they used to weigh the vote for the likes of Alan Johnson and John Prescott....
    Hull:

LD 2 gains from Lab so far.

LD need 3 gains for control.
    nico679 said:

After an okay start for the Tories the wheels look like they’re coming off now .

Based on...? Wheels coming off implies worse than predictions.

vino said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Thurrock — Con hold

Con +3 seats
    Lab -3 seat

Nail on head
    Brexit Brexit bloody Brexit. It’s still alive and well in English and Wales voting. The country still has Boris beating through its veins 🙁 🙁 🙁
    The main parties let all the leave voters down until Boris came on the scene - voters will not forget - it's a strange world for when Boris goes BIG - G will vote Conservative again and I will vote Green - never Labour
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-61235136?pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:c28b6c99-5999-4b34-b267-bf548ed6bcea

Kit Malthouse (NW Hampshire) :
    “It’s been tricky, hard. I’m preparing myself for a thumping”
This discussion has been closed.