Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first findings from the Grey report don’t look good for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited January 2022
    The back bench "hear hears" in response to Tory MP softballs getting feebler....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Davey didn't mean "hundreds of thousands".

He started with "hundreds" and then corrected it on the fly to "thousands".
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

I think I now understand the Prime Minister's defence against claims he misled the House when he denied that there was a party in Downing Street on 13th November 2020. There wasn't *a* party: there were two parties!

If you have a few friends round for a celebratory drink - at what point does it become something that is defined as a party.

I suspect anything that doesn't have a formal party invitation isn't a party in Carrie / Boris's world.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    Stocky said:

Bryant powerful.

...He then references Johnson's comments to parliament on 13 November, when he said the guidance and rules were followed in Downing Street.

"If he won't correct the record today, there's nothing accidental, it's deliberate," Bryant says.

"I don't know what he's saying Mr Speaker," Johnson says in reply...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    Stocky said:

Steve Baker intervention notably unhelpful. Seems to have made his mind up. Given what Mark Harper, former chief whip, said a few minutes ago not looking good for the PM.

The 54 letters is just the start of course. Could he go on to survive the resulting VOC?
    The letters are anonymous, but is the ballot?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,294
    Nigelb said:

Essexit said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Davey - What? 100ks of parents burying their children? Obv even one is too many, but that is barking

Did he mean children burying their parents, and misspeak ?
    There would also have been people in their 40s, 50s etc dying with one or both parents still alive. Even including those, 100k seems far too high.
    I was thinking of my father's funeral, in spring 2020, where only a handful of close family could attend under the then rules. We weren't even allowed inside the crematorium.
    I wasn't allowed to visit an uncle who was a father figure to me. He died before I could say goodbye.

If people like Leon don't get this then they are sewerage.

Next 48 hours are critical. I expect Johnson to fly to Ukraine tonight or tomorrow morning to try to deflect attention. Tory MPs either see through it and act or they're stuck with Johnson until at least May and quite possibly 2024, when they will get a trouncing.

p.s. Sir Keir Starmer is looking prime ministerial. Dour and sometimes (really) dull but prime ministerial.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Leon said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Difficult to express how boring this all seems from 5000 miles away, by the lacy moonlit waves of the Laccadive Sea

I accept that’s it’s probably way more exciting if you are there in, er, Swindon, or whatever.

It just seems phenomenally trivial. Obviously wrong, but equally trivial.

I wonder if for this reason Boris has an unexpected chance of reviving, as no other PM which such terrible polling has ever done.

Presenting things as boring or complicated and so not worth the bother is a standard evasion tactic.

Much will be trivial, were it not for the context and particularly comments made about those events. And suddenly even the boring and trivial can become more vital. The pettiness can compound the error not exculpate the participant.
    I just get the sense - from a trillion miles away on balcony on a tropical seashore - that this is beginning to bore the fuck out of voters. And today won’t make any difference - at least in the polls

I’m not saying it is boring PER SE, I’m a politics geek. Tho, actually, even as a geek this feels a bit damp squib-esque

We know he is a lying fuck, we know they lied and had pastries, whatever yawn yes, we hate them, but what are they going to do about the price of petrol? Etc?
    The problem Leon is that he is not suitable to hold the office of PM. Simples. He needs to get back into showbiz and scre*ing single and married women. He cannot and is unwilling to take any responsibility; we have seen that numerous times both in politics and his personal life. He's really not a very nice man. Worst PM of my lifetime for sure, probably of all time.
    For me he is better than Brown, May, Cameron, Wilson, Heath, Callaghan and Major. He did something amazing: won the Brexit vote. Then something even amazinger: forced Brexit through by winning a genius majority
    If Boris is so amazing for getting Brexit done then surely Cameron is amazinger for having the vote in the first place.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Tissue Price up.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Tissue Price up.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

How longs Blackford out for? Forever??

Sfaict Blackford was not thrown out because he had already left. We'll need to wait and see if the Speaker completes the paperwork.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    In assessing the back benchers reaction it might be helpful to bear in mind that some might want proper low tax and freedom conservatism back at least as much as they want Boris gone.

If not more.

And they don't really care how they get it.

They can sell a few party transgressions to workers. What they cannot sell is higher taxes forever, rocketing fuel bills and slow growth. Like it or not, that is part of the narrative here.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Utterly brutal.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Aaron clearly has his letter in already
  • Options
    Aaron Bell caustic
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Yikes....thats an angry Tory MP there.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377
    murali_s said:

Leon said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Difficult to express how boring this all seems from 5000 miles away, by the lacy moonlit waves of the Laccadive Sea

I accept that’s it’s probably way more exciting if you are there in, er, Swindon, or whatever.

I wonder if for this reason Boris has an unexpected chance of reviving, as no other PM which such terrible polling has ever done.

Presenting things as boring or complicated and so not worth the bother is a standard evasion tactic.

Much will be trivial, were it not for the context and particularly comments made about those events. And suddenly even the boring and trivial can become more vital. The pettiness can compound the error not exculpate the participant.
    I just get the sense - from a trillion miles away on balcony on a tropical seashore - that this is beginning to bore the fuck out of voters. And today won’t make any difference - at least in the polls

I’m not saying it is boring PER SE, I’m a politics geek. Tho, actually, even as a geek this feels a bit damp squib-esque

We know he is a lying fuck, we know they lied and had pastries, whatever yawn yes, we hate them, but what are they going to do about the price of petrol? Etc?
    The problem Leon is that he is not suitable to hold the office of PM. Simples. He needs to get back into showbiz and scre*ing single and married women. He cannot and is unwilling to take any responsibility; we have seen that numerous times both in politics and his personal life. He's really not a very nice man. Worst PM of my lifetime for sure, probably of all time.
    We must agree to differ. For me he is better than Brown, May, Cameron, Wilson, Heath, Callaghan and Major. He did something amazing: won the Brexit vote. Then something even amazinger: forced Brexit through by winning a genius majority

Has he squandered all that with his idiotic lies and silly marriage and hie venal inability to focus? Yes, that too

So now it is time for him to go as he has been revealed as a lying twat good for not much more than winning campaigns (which he does brilliantly) and telling decent jokes. Off you toddle, now, Boris

But will he? All my points today have been practical not ideological. I can see him surviving, quite easily. Indeed I can see him winning another, slender majority in 2024. His mortal enemy is not partygate, not any more, it is tax and inflation
    By the way, how was Sri Lanka this time? Hope you managed to get some decent food this time...
    Superb food everywhere! I just this minute finished one of the best Goan prawn curries of my life

I must have been incredibly unlucky on my last trip Too many posh places and then too many unlucky choices on the street

The food this time has been outstanding. Last night I had s Sri Lankan mud crab curry with this hybrid Med/Asian seafood broth to start

OMFFFFG. Cost £11. In an ultra high end place

I’ve also eaten off the street, very well, for literal pennies: all good, some sensational. I am a convert!
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Powerful stuff
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    5m
    Difficult to see how that could have gone worse for Boris. Historic moment.

This is one of the worst performances I’ve seen from a sitting Prime Minister in a major parliamentary debate.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1488186685997342725
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Wowser

@Tissue_Price undecided, obv
  • Options

Boris showing just a glimmer of a little smirk. He knows he's got away with this.

Too early to tell.

Four major events coming up, one of which I've seen nobody else mention yet, that could be "make or break" for him.

1: The Police investigation. If he gets found guilty of breaking the law, that's surely terminal.
    2: The full Sue Gray report. If he knew about law breaking at the time and did nothing, that's surely terminal on its own. It would also as kinabalu likes to remind us mean he lied to Parliament and that would be terminal, but I think that's moot anyway it'd be terminal either way.
    3: The May elections. A hammering for the Tories and its terminal.

Finally I've yet to see anyone else mention it yet but

4: The Budget. Given the pressures on "cost of living", inflation etc and how febrile the mood is this surely must be "make or break" for both Boris and Sunak too.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    Chopped onions in Chez Eabhal on that statement from Tissue Price.
  • Options
    My overwhelming feeling watching the PM's statement from the Press Gallery? Sorry, not sorry. #SueGrayReport

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1488188104632590343
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    tlg86 said:

Utterly brutal.

Johnson must be ruefully regretting putting guidance into laws.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

Aaron Bell caustic

You can say that again. Obviously enraged and very upset. I think the decision to do the Big Dog act has been a spectacular mistake. A bit of contrition could have gone a long way.
  • Options

I am trembling with anger at Boris’s shamelessness.

I have to try and put my utter fury aside, but I do believe that this is the most appalling display by a British PM in my lifetime.

The Eddie Mair "You're a nasty piece of work" interview was 2013.

Anyone paying any attention at all since the 1990's knew what they were getting when they promoted Boris.
    Yep, that has always been my view
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Dearie dearie dearie dearie dearie dearie me.

Hang your heads in shame Conservatives.
  • Options
    Powerful by Tissue Price. 👍
  • Options

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    2m
    The PM is taking a huge personal risk in rejecting Tory MP demands to publish Sue Gray’s more definitive “full” report - because he is removing from them any incentive to delay their decisions to send in letters of no confidence in his leadership
  • Options
    Regarding Boris

Ed Morrish
    @edmorrish
    Once you've been told that he always calls female MPs "she", not "the right honourable", you can't help but notice it too.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    And to think that this is just the rehearsal.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

The tone of the Tory backbenches is very much 'Boris gets one last chance'. This is over.

One last chance blurs into another and before you know it you're issuing your fiftieth final ultimatum.

Sue Gray was clear. There is no reason to delay remedial action.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Steve Baker intervention notably unhelpful. Seems to have made his mind up. Given what Mark Harper, former chief whip, said a few minutes ago not looking good for the PM.

The 54 letters is just the start of course. Could he go on to survive the resulting VOC?
    Yes, key for betting. 2 things have to happen for him to go. The letters. He loses the resulting VONC (or gets an insufficient margin to in practice carry on).
  • Options

Boris showing just a glimmer of a little smirk. He knows he's got away with this.

Too early to tell.

Four major events coming up, one of which I've seen nobody else mention yet, that could be "make or break" for him.

1: The Police investigation. If he gets found guilty of breaking the law, that's surely terminal.
    2: The full Sue Gray report. If he knew about law breaking at the time and did nothing, that's surely terminal on its own. It would also as kinabalu likes to remind us mean he lied to Parliament and that would be terminal, but I think that's moot anyway it'd be terminal either way.

4: The Budget. Given the pressures on "cost of living", inflation etc and how febrile the mood is this surely must be "make or break" for both Boris and Sunak too.
    This is what the backbenchers want, really.

Concession on tax and the cost of living.
  • Options
    What is that purple star trek looking thing MPs have on their lapels?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Good man Aaron! He is incandescent.
  • Options

Too early to tell.

The Budget is in October / November. Next up is a spending review where there isn't any money to spend but a lot of people needing help with energy bills.
  • Options
    eek said:

Regarding Boris

Ed Morrish
    @edmorrish
    Once you've been told that he always calls female MPs "she", not "the right honourable", you can't help but notice it too.

Never noticed it, but since that was just said he just referred to a male MP as "he" too.
  • Options

Very proud of the contribution by PBer Aaron Bell. very effective.

Yeh, great moment. Heartfelt.

The shameless and carelessness of this PM is frankly beyond words, but Aaron did try.
  • Options
    Oh.

I'm told Boris Johnson's planned call with Russian President Vladimir Putin today has been cancelled.

When the Gray report landed the Russians were asked to shift the time - but they couldn't. So it's off...

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1488185055071678471
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

JBriskin3 said:

Sfaict Blackford was not thrown out because he had already left. We'll need to wait and see if the Speaker completes the paperwork.
    I don't think the Speaker is going to complete the paperwork.

What would have been Blackford's punishment? Would we have got a By-election?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Foxy said:

Stocky said:

The letters are anonymous, but is the ballot?
    Yep - it's take a ball and put it in 1 pot or the other.

The issue then is what comes after and this (which I posted earlier https://ukandeu.ac.uk/dilemma-boris-conservatives/ ) shows the problem - there is no clear answer as to what person (or policies) you replace Boris with.

• Options
    Greg Smith is a [moderated].
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Yes, key for betting. 2 things have to happen for him to go. The letters. He loses the resulting VONC (or gets an insufficient margin to in practice carry on).
    For the timing markets, beware the fact that it took 2 months between TMay announcing her intention to resign and BJ becoming leader/PM.
  • Options
    Fun fact: Teflon is usually only effective for two to three years.

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1488115500240588800
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    'Does the prime minister think I'm a fool?'

Tory MP Aaron Bell says only ten people could attend his grandmother's funeral in May 2020 - when there were two alleged lockdown-breaching gatherings at Downing Street
    https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-31/sue-gray-report-condemns-serious-failure-in-number-10-to-observe-rules https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1488189476685893639/video/1
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

SNP to ask for full report in Motion to the House.

Good. I assume that all the other opposition parties and a lot of Conservatives will back the motion.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    I do wonder how many of the breaches of the rules - let alone the guidelines - were by Carrie and her friends.

I suspect quite a few. The PM could argue that he had a reasonable excuse to be in the office. Carrie none. Nor Lulu or other friends.

That may explain some of his behaviour. He simply cannot - or dare not - admit something which would put his wife in the frame.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Utterly brutal.

Johnson must be ruefully regretting putting guidance into laws.
    If you are going to go authoritarian, you've got to go all the way. YOu've got to have a controlled media so the horrendous mistakes can't get out.

The Chinese are looking at the tories and thinking 'what a bunch of amateurs'

They adopted our lockdown policy, but they didn't read all the instructions. And now look.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

Oh.

I'm told Boris Johnson's planned call with Russian President Vladimir Putin today has been cancelled.

When the Gray report landed the Russians were asked to shift the time - but they couldn't. So it's off...

So there's "getting on with the job" holed below the waterline....
  • Options
    PM is getting some support from his benches. The fact you have so many Tory MPs effectively saying he should resign, or saying he has insulted their constituents and then some loudly rallying to his banner speaks to just how toxic this could become to internal Tory politics.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1488189620860899330
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    Rob Roberts what a hero! The Conservatives should be very very proud.
  • Options
    The pervert Rob Roberts backs Boris Johnson, that alone should force Boris Johnson out.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Are they still wearing them????

They were for Holocoust Memorial Day last Thursday.
  • Options
    Ooooh! He said the B*R*E*X*I*T word! I thought that was verboten?
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Oh.

He'll fly to Ukraine I reckon. Probably tonight or tomorrow.

Which might end up being his Jim Callaghan in Guadeloupe moment. Or not.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    The Gray Report might not sink Boris, but his cack-handed performance in the House today might do...
  • Options

Oh.

Feck, that is terrible. Really bad look.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    Who is this deranged harpie that claims that the “small boats crisis” is the most urgent thing for the country.

Is a lobotomy necessary to succeed in the Tory party?
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

No. A few days off.
  • Options
    eek said:

Too early to tell.

The Budget is in October / November. Next up is a spending review where there isn't any money to spend but a lot of people needing help with energy bills.
    Oh yes, of course it is.

October / November is too late. The Spending Review will need to be treated as a Budget and something will need to be there for energy bills as you said. If the energy bills issue isn't dealt with that will be it for Boris and Sunak.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

For me he is better than Brown, May, Cameron, Wilson, Heath, Callaghan and Major. He did something amazing: won the Brexit vote. Then something even amazinger: forced Brexit through by winning a genius majority
    If Boris is so amazing for getting Brexit done then surely Cameron is amazinger for having the vote in the first place.
    And as for Heath, who teed the whole thing up in 1973. Doesn't get more farsighted than that...
  • Options

Viewable here:

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1488189476685893639?t=3Cojkr7HXyoC7B62HBwdRA&s=19
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DearPB said:

Lyndsey Hoyle found that genuinely upsetting

Hoyle is the worst speaker in history , a weak lickspittle.
    No way. Martin was truly horrific.
  • Options
    NEW Senior Tory MP - not one or the usual critics - tells me: “That was a car crash. A lot of colleagues were waiting for the report to be published [before submitting letters of no confidence]. They may not wait now. He is is own worst enemy.” #SueGrayReport
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1488190396094111748
  • Options
    edited January 2022

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

No. A few days off.
    Shame not longer (say, a year?) and the SNP Type MPs didn't all follow suit.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Priti Patel giving Boris no visible support despite sitting right next to him.
  • Options

eek said:

Too early to tell.

Oh yes, of course it is.

October / November is too late. The Spending Review will need to be treated as a Budget and something will need to be there for energy bills as you said. If the energy bills issue isn't dealt with that will be it for Boris and Sunak.
    Where's all the money gone?

You....er....spent it on furlough chancellor. A furlough your leader didn't really believe in....but on the upside, most of it wasn't the target of fraud...

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

I do wonder how many of the breaches of the rules - let alone the guidelines - were by Carrie and her friends.

I suspect quite a few. The PM could argue that he had a reasonable excuse to be in the office. Carrie none. Nor Lulu or other friends.

That may explain some of his behaviour. He simply cannot - or dare not - admit something which would put his wife in the frame.

FWIW, this is where my thinking has gone. Hence, the 'check the official diaries' comment earlier.
  • Options
    300 Photographs!!!
  • Options

Who is this deranged harpie that claims that the “small boats crisis” is the most urgent thing for the country.

Natalie Elphicke. Elected as successor to her husband after he was nicked for sex offences. Nothing eeeuw about that at all.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Tory MP Aaron Bell says only ten people could attend his grandmother's funeral in May 2020 - when there were two alleged lockdown-breaching gatherings at Downing Street
    https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-31/sue-gray-report-condemns-serious-failure-in-number-10-to-observe-rules https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1488189476685893639/video/1

I will put Tissue down as a maybe on if he thinks Boris should go.....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Aaron and Dom. My heroes for 2022. They join Stormy Daniels in Roger's Hall of Fame
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

The Holocaust Memorial Day pin, I think.
  • Options

Eh??? If this is the PB SNP Type air support you should all time your breaks from work a bit better.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Ah thks
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW Senior Tory MP - not one or the usual critics - tells me: “That was a car crash. A lot of colleagues were waiting for the report to be published [before submitting letters of no confidence]. They may not wait now. He is is own worst enemy.” #SueGrayReport
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1488190396094111748

I still can't believe Priti Patel nodding in agreement with Sir Keir Starmer.

Blimey.

I might not be quite so scathing about her from now on.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377
    Foxy said:

Viewable here:

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1488189476685893639?t=3Cojkr7HXyoC7B62HBwdRA&s=19

That is powerful. Fair play to @Tissue_Price
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Did I not forecast that some Civil Servant(s) would carry the can? Sounds very much like it. Office of the PM, someone new in charge.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,764
    edited January 2022

300 Photographs!!!

Is it just me, or is that not very many given the number of events?

That's 21 per event which potentially is fewer than one per person at each of those events.

Might there be even more not there yet?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    dixiedean said:

The residents of Stourbridge must be delighted to be told they aren't interested.

"What the people really want to hear is X" is one of my biggest political bugbears. And they all do it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

And as for Heath, who teed the whole thing up in 1973. Doesn't get more farsighted than that...
    Still going with the "...very sorry for misjudgments which may have been made..." line.
    That is not an apology. Fuck him.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Oh.

He'll fly to Ukraine I reckon. Probably tonight or tomorrow.

Which might end up being his Jim Callaghan in Guadeloupe moment. Or not.
    He will feel he looks majestic astride his tank facing off the Russian Army tomorrow, and Tory backbenchers will swoon.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Natalie Elphicke. Elected as successor to her husband after he was nicked for sex offences. Nothing eeeuw about that at all.
    For her constituency, Elphicke is absolutely on the money.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Ah thks
    I switched on the TV and they're not wearing them any more so you've managed to troll Holocaust Memorial Day.

Top Work!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Absolutely blistering from Aaron Bell.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Leaving aside our own views, do we think that MPs who have been on the fence will have shifted either way? Really hard to tell, but the absence of anyone saying so is perhaps telling.

The public, it seems to me, are now bored by the detail, but have a settled, hostile view of the Government's position. Johnson started on the right note, but by the time he'd wheeled off into Brexit and vaccination and Jimmy Saville he was back in his natural rumbustious mode. I honestly think that for most people it simply doesn't work any more.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Blackford making it about him and is going to make the headlines and deflect the story

Andrew Mitchell withdraws support

Boris is on his way out

Blackford pointedly refusing to withdraw an allegation that BJ lied to the house may not be entirely bad politics.
    Yes, I'm no fan of Blackford but he's played that perfectly from the SNP's point of view. Already looking past this immediate farce and doing the groundwork on what comes next.
    The plain fact is that the prime minister most certainly did lie to the house. In circumstances like this it is better just to be straightforward and not mince your words.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

For her constituency, Elphicke is absolutely on the money.
    For her constituency perhaps to be fair given her constituency.

Not for the country.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    edited January 2022
    It’s very hard to read.

For every simmering Tory, there another patsy who clearly have lost any moral sensibility they once might have had.

My gut tells me that Boris’s response to Keir in particular was so sickeningly shameless and mendacious that it is has guaranteed a VONC.

But my head says, do not underestimate the utter cravenness of the Tory Party.

As an aside, Priti Patel looks very…sober, whereas Raab shared a little giggle with Boris earlier.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Viewable here:

That is powerful. Fair play to @Tissue_Price
    But did you really not get it until now 'Leon'? That's what so many of us had to go through or knew others who did.

It was bloody awful. And this ****** [Redacted] in No. 10 has, as Aaron so powerfully said, made fools of us.

• Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Cyclefree said:

FWIW, this is where my thinking has gone. Hence, the 'check the official diaries' comment earlier.
    I've just had a horrible vision of BoJo stifling tears and saying that he has been acting all along to protect his wife and that he personally had no involvement in any wrongdoing..
  • Options
    edited January 2022

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Starmer must be overjoyed.

Not enough to topple Johnson before the next election. But enough to leave the stench of criminality around him for good.

Far too early to say that.

If the Met determine the PM broke the law (considering the flat is one investigated by them) then surely that is the end of Boris.

If the Met determine the law wasn't broken, then that should be the end of the matter too.

Either way, I don't see how this can drag on until the election.
    That's a reframing in his favour that doesn't work. The bar is whether he lied to Parliament not whether he gets a fixed penalty notice. If he lied to Parliament he must go. Or to put it differently, if the evidence shows he lied to Parliament about these rule-breaking parties in the middle of a pandemic but he *still* won't resign, Tory MPs simply must remove him. And if they don't the public must punish them with a shellacking in the polls and a landslide loss of seats. If none of this happens we're fucked. It's Banana Republic and total loss of self-respect here we come.
    Whether the law was broken, or whether the rules were broken, is the same thing.

Guidelines are not rules. They're guidelines. Laws are the rules.

This lies to Parliament thing is weird because if the threshold to say he lied has been met, the threshold he has to go for other reasons has also already been met. So yes if he's lied to Parliament he should go, but in this case it's an unnecessary and redundant condition.
    No, if he lied it doesn't follow he'll get a penalty notice. Likewise if he doesn't get a penalty notice it doesn't follow he didn't lie.

He said he had no knowledge of rule-breaking events. Will the Gray Report (when we get the proper one) and/or the Met investigation show that to be a lie?

Let's see.
    If the PM knew the law was being broken by either himself or his team and did nothing about it then he should resign. Whether he'd said to the House that the law wasn't being broken or not.

Lawmakers can not be lawbreakers.
    Yep. And PMs cannot be liars to parliaments. Either should be enough to end him unless he and the Tory Party wish to take up residence in the gutter.
    Indeed but you're trying to set up lying to Parliament as somehow a lower or easier bar to clear than proving knowledge of lawbreaking. It isn't.

If he knew about lawbreaking and did nothing he should resign. If he doesn't, he hasn't lied.

I find the latter implausible given the evidence we know about. But at the end of the day if its not shown he knew about lawbreaking, then its not shown he lied either.
    The Lying To Parliament charge is not escaped by dint of the police deciding not to issue any tickets. That doesn't scan. But I agree it looks implausible he's clean on any metric.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited January 2022

Scott Benton would have been well advised not to say the B*R*E*X*I*T word too given that he does sound wather similar to Biggus Dickus.
This discussion has been closed.