Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first findings from the Grey report don’t look good for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Foxy said:

Very proud of the contribution by PBer Aaron Bell. very effective.

Viewable here:

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1488189476685893639?t=3Cojkr7HXyoC7B62HBwdRA&s=19
    I wonder what Dorries is whispering in that clip...
  • Options
    Joe Rogan, responding to Neil Young’s objections to his podcast and Spotify, said his show has grown “out of control” and pledged to be more balanced and informed about controversial topics and guests. “If I pissed you off, I’m sorry.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/spotify-publishes-content-policy-covid-19-hub-in-response-to-joe-rogan-controversy-11643572945
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    murali_s said:

malcolmg said:

Blackford poor today

I thought you were a honest person G, that is shocking partisan crap and puts HYFUD to shame, I cannot believe you are much worse than him. Only person with a backbone in the place
    Thankfully the Welsh as a whole are not as ignorant as Big G. Wales, like Scotland and London will be a Tory free zone soon...
    I find it disgraceful that Big G has swung totally and defends the scumbag of Clowning Street. Very, very sad to witness.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

eek said:

Regarding Boris

Ed Morrish
    @edmorrish
    Once you've been told that he always calls female MPs "she", not "the right honourable", you can't help but notice it too.

Never noticed it, but since that was just said he just referred to a male MP as "he" too.
    He called May "the right honourable".
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,629
    The whole premise of "changing the way No.10 runs" is flawed. It implies that the only thing that has changed is the fact that he got caught.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,062
    Heathener said:

Oh.

I'm told Boris Johnson's planned call with Russian President Vladimir Putin today has been cancelled.

When the Gray report landed the Russians were asked to shift the time - but they couldn't. So it's off...

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1488185055071678471

So there's "getting on with the job" holed below the waterline....
    He'll fly to Ukraine I reckon. Probably tonight or tomorrow.

Which might end up being his Jim Callaghan in Guadeloupe moment. Or not.
    Maggie was in Paris when the vote was announced, wasn't she?

Foreign trips very dangerous for leaders. Perfect time for a couple.
  • Options

Leaving aside our own views, do we think that MPs who have been on the fence will have shifted either way? Really hard to tell, but the absence of anyone saying so is perhaps telling.

The public, it seems to me, are now bored by the detail, but have a settled, hostile view of the Government's position. Johnson started on the right note, but by the time he'd wheeled off into Brexit and vaccination and Jimmy Saville he was back in his natural rumbustious mode. I honestly think that for most people it simply doesn't work any more.

Anyone have Alastair M's spreadsheet in the one hand and the coverage in the other?
  • Options
    I'm sorry but you are not fit to be an MP if you wear a sweater like that in the House of Commons.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Breaking: Scotland Yard just said they've been handed more than **300** photographs as part of their partygate probe. Wow.
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1488184464861798401

Johnson would be better to resign now.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Starmer must be overjoyed.

Not enough to topple Johnson before the next election. But enough to leave the stench of criminality around him for good.

Far too early to say that.

If the Met determine the PM broke the law (considering the flat is one investigated by them) then surely that is the end of Boris.

If the Met determine the law wasn't broken, then that should be the end of the matter too.

Either way, I don't see how this can drag on until the election.
    That's a reframing in his favour that doesn't work. The bar is whether he lied to Parliament not whether he gets a fixed penalty notice. If he lied to Parliament he must go. Or to put it differently, if the evidence shows he lied to Parliament about these rule-breaking parties in the middle of a pandemic but he *still* won't resign, Tory MPs simply must remove him. And if they don't the public must punish them with a shellacking in the polls and a landslide loss of seats. If none of this happens we're fucked. It's Banana Republic and total loss of self-respect here we come.
    Whether the law was broken, or whether the rules were broken, is the same thing.

Guidelines are not rules. They're guidelines. Laws are the rules.

This lies to Parliament thing is weird because if the threshold to say he lied has been met, the threshold he has to go for other reasons has also already been met. So yes if he's lied to Parliament he should go, but in this case it's an unnecessary and redundant condition.
    No, if he lied it doesn't follow he'll get a penalty notice. Likewise if he doesn't get a penalty notice it doesn't follow he didn't lie.

He said he had no knowledge of rule-breaking events. Will the Gray Report (when we get the proper one) and/or the Met investigation show that to be a lie?

Let's see.
    If the PM knew the law was being broken by either himself or his team and did nothing about it then he should resign. Whether he'd said to the House that the law wasn't being broken or not.

Lawmakers can not be lawbreakers.
    Yep. And PMs cannot be liars to parliaments. Either should be enough to end him unless he and the Tory Party wish to take up residence in the gutter.
    Indeed but you're trying to set up lying to Parliament as somehow a lower or easier bar to clear than proving knowledge of lawbreaking. It isn't.

If he knew about lawbreaking and did nothing he should resign. If he doesn't, he hasn't lied.

I find the latter implausible given the evidence we know about. But at the end of the day if its not shown he knew about lawbreaking, then its not shown he lied either.
    The Lying To Parliament charge is not escaped by dint of the police deciding not to issue any tickets. That doesn't scan. But, yep, I agree it looks implausible he's clean on any metric.
    If the Police can't substantiate that the law was broken, then how is it shown he knew the law was broken?

Surely the Police will have to issue fines as the evidence is there from everything that's been reported. If that reporting is wrong, which I can't see happening, then that would be an unexpected acquittal.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839

Farooq said:

Blackford making it about him and is going to make the headlines and deflect the story

Andrew Mitchell withdraws support

Boris is on his way out

Blackford pointedly refusing to withdraw an allegation that BJ lied to the house may not be entirely bad politics.
    Yes, I'm no fan of Blackford but he's played that perfectly from the SNP's point of view. Already looking past this immediate farce and doing the groundwork on what comes next.
    The plain fact is that the prime minister most certainly did lie to the house. In circumstances like this it is better just to be straightforward and not mince your words.
    Oh, yes, it also has the benefit of being entirely accurate
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,169

It’s very hard to read.

For every simmering Tory, there another patsy who clearly have lost any moral sensibility they once might have had.

My gut tells me that Boris’s response to Keir in particular was so sickeningly shameless and mendacious that it is has guaranteed a VONC.

But my head says, do not underestimate the utter cravenness of the Tory Party.

As an aside, Priti Patel looks very…sober, whereas Raab shared a little giggle with Boris earlier.

Don't underestimate their cravenness, but also don't underestimate their instinct to keep their jobs.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Oh.

I'm told Boris Johnson's planned call with Russian President Vladimir Putin today has been cancelled.

When the Gray report landed the Russians were asked to shift the time - but they couldn't. So it's off...

Does the PM now have to leave Downing Street if he wants to get pissed?!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,158
    TOPPING said:

The whole premise of "changing the way No.10 runs" is flawed. It implies that the only thing that has changed is the fact that he got caught.

No, it allows him to put the blame somewhere other than the place where 100% of the blame sits which is at Boris.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,403
    .@RuthDavidsonPC says to me that faced with potential criminality in 12 events including one in his own flat, any other prime minister would resign. She says he’s degrading the office and contrasted him to the “dignity” of Theresa May
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1488192923791466496
  • Options
    Amusing response from a Tory MP quoting a constituent "he's a wally but 100,000 Russians have just turned up, why are we talking about cake".

I'm guessing she's friendly to the PM then, though willing to call him a wally.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

It’s very hard to read.

For every simmering Tory, there another patsy who clearly have lost any moral sensibility they once might have had.

My gut tells me that Boris’s response to Keir in particular was so sickeningly shameless and mendacious that it is has guaranteed a VONC.

As an aside, Priti Patel looks very…sober, whereas Raab shared a little giggle with Boris earlier.

Perhaps Ms Patel can see an imminent return to the backbenches in her near future? ;)

We can always hope...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,648
    edited January 2022
    Wow. The clown effectively accuses someone on Labour’s front bench of being regularly on drugs.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469

malcolmg said:

DearPB said:

Lyndsey Hoyle found that genuinely upsetting

Hoyle is the worst speaker in history , a weak lickspittle.
    No way. Martin was truly horrific.
    He's not great, but certainly better than Michael Martin who was totally out of his depth, and I think, better than Bercow because Bercow allowed himself to become a Dickensian pantomime caricature, and was so obviously biased and arbitrary. A Speaker should be acceptable to both sides and Bercow wasn't.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Blackford making it about him and is going to make the headlines and deflect the story

Boris is on his way out

Blackford pointedly refusing to withdraw an allegation that BJ lied to the house may not be entirely bad politics.
    Yes, I'm no fan of Blackford but he's played that perfectly from the SNP's point of view. Already looking past this immediate farce and doing the groundwork on what comes next.
    The plain fact is that the prime minister most certainly did lie to the house. In circumstances like this it is better just to be straightforward and not mince your words.
    Yes, I think that is right. Blackford may be a pompous bombastic ass, but he was right to just say the plain honest truth on this occasion.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,458

Heathener said:

Oh.

He will feel he looks majestic astride his tank facing off the Russian Army tomorrow, and Tory backbenchers will swoon.
    I think this is correct.

The Daily Mail will (maybe) wade in behind him overnight with another of its 'THIS is what really matters' headlines.

What cautions me slightly against thinking he'll get away with it though is

1. He has really peed off the right (again) especially over the NI increase

and

2. Dominic Cummings. I'm not sure we've heard the last from him. Could be some further leaks imminently?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,920
    What the hell was that drug-taking comment?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,055

TOPPING said:

Absolutely blistering from Aaron Bell.

He joins the very small and highly select number of conservative MPs for whom I would vote regardless if he were standing in my constituency.

He's unlikely to be re-elected at the next GE but perhaps PB could start a Campaign to Re-Elect Aaron Bell [CREAB].
    I'm not convinced he'll run if Boris is still in charge, he clearly has no confidence in him and can happily live in a career outside politics.
    I think he wants to get Walley's quarry sorted on a constituency level though.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    JBriskin3 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is that purple star trek looking thing MPs have on their lapels?

The Holocaust Memorial Day pin, I think.
    Ah thks
    I switched on the TV and they're not wearing them any more so you've managed to troll Holocaust Memorial Day.

Top Work!
    Congrats, you have just answered my question to myself, Is there a bigger prick in the world than Boris Johnson, in the affirmative.

Simon Baynes at 1632 is wearing one, and why would I be asking what it was, if I knew, you utter dildo?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

'Does the prime minister think I'm a fool?'

Tory MP Aaron Bell says only ten people could attend his grandmother's funeral in May 2020 - when there were two alleged lockdown-breaching gatherings at Downing Street
    https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-31/sue-gray-report-condemns-serious-failure-in-number-10-to-observe-rules https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1488189476685893639/video/1

He looked not just furious after he sat down but on the verge of tears.

As well he might be. Not just because of the emotion of recalling his family's loss. But realising that the PM's behaviour could well cost him his seat at the next election.

I don't mean that in a sarky way. Realising you and your family and your party and your voters, for whom you are working hard, have been let down by someone whom you should have been able to trust is a really awful experience.

No wonder he looked thunderous.
    Newcastle-under-Lyme is about the most likely council loss for the Tories in May's elections.
  • Options

I am trembling with anger at Boris’s shamelessness.

I have to try and put my utter fury aside, but I do believe that this is the most appalling display by a British PM in my lifetime.

The Eddie Mair "You're a nasty piece of work" interview was 2013.

Anyone paying any attention at all since the 1990's knew what they were getting when they promoted Boris.
    The Conservative Party knew what it was getting into. They deserve everything heading their way.
  • Options
    Wow - Boris responded to an accusation of drug taking in no 10 said, no you should look at the Labour front bench
  • Options

Joe Rogan, responding to Neil Young’s objections to his podcast and Spotify, said his show has grown “out of control” and pledged to be more balanced and informed about controversial topics and guests. “If I pissed you off, I’m sorry.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/spotify-publishes-content-policy-covid-19-hub-in-response-to-joe-rogan-controversy-11643572945

Yes, astute move go draw the sting.

Good article in the Atlantic about his show from 2019:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/08/my-joe-rogan-experience/594802/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,439
    edited January 2022

I watched his actual video, it isn't actually apologising for anything. He doubled down on the academic qualifications of the two anti-vax scientists he had on.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,163

I'm sorry but you are not fit to be an MP if you wear a sweater like that in the House of Commons.

Absolutely agree. I thought she was a small child who had snuck in from a day trip to parliament.
  • Options
    NEW: Scotland Yard says its request for details of events being investigated not to be included in Gray report will drop once probe is complete.

In other words... there's nothing from the Met to stop the full Gray evidence coming out then (potentially including photos). https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1488193553243254789/photo/1
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Anyway;

I'm sure we can all agree - much more entertaining than a boring UN Security Council meeting.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,458
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Oh.

Very good point
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

dixiedean said:

The residents of Stourbridge must be delighted to be told they aren't interested.

They may also think his premiership needs to be consigned to Ned's Atomic Dustbin.
    Who was that Toady for Stourbridge? Sounded like a dreadful person.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339
    edited January 2022

I have to try and put my utter fury aside, but I do believe that this is the most appalling display by a British PM in my lifetime.

Anyone paying any attention at all since the 1990's knew what they were getting when they promoted Boris.
    The biggest Conservative general election victory since Tory MPs toppled Mrs Thatcher in 1990, yes
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,074
    stjohn said:

IshmaelZ said:

So the
    @metpolice
    are investigating a gathering in the Prime Minister's flat on 13 November.

Lethal news.

https://twitter.com/robinkellett/status/1488156852122796039

The day Cummings was dismissed!
    Did the drinks involve whisky and a revolver?
  • Options

Leaving aside our own views, do we think that MPs who have been on the fence will have shifted either way? Really hard to tell, but the absence of anyone saying so is perhaps telling.

The public, it seems to me, are now bored by the detail, but have a settled, hostile view of the Government's position. Johnson started on the right note, but by the time he'd wheeled off into Brexit and vaccination and Jimmy Saville he was back in his natural rumbustious mode. I honestly think that for most people it simply doesn't work any more.

Fatty Arbuckle had similar problem, when HIS public decided that the Funny Man was just a sick joke.
  • Options
    Boris seems to give particularly short shrift to questions from young female MPs.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

JBriskin3 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is that purple star trek looking thing MPs have on their lapels?

The Holocaust Memorial Day pin, I think.
    Ah thks
    I switched on the TV and they're not wearing them any more so you've managed to troll Holocaust Memorial Day.

Top Work!
    Congrats, you have just answered my question to myself, Is there a bigger prick in the world than Boris Johnson, in the affirmative.

Simon Baynes at 1632 is wearing one, and why would I be asking what it was, if I knew, you utter dildo?
    You might have been a Level 3 Playa
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Who is this deranged harpie that claims that the “small boats crisis” is the most urgent thing for the country.

Is a lobotomy necessary to succeed in the Tory party?

No. A complete lack of understanding, empathy and respect will do.
  • Options

The back bench "hear hears" in response to Tory MP softballs getting feebler....

Yes, that was very noticeable as time went on. They’ve had the wind knocked out of them once too often.
  • Options
    The government whips seem to have run out of Conservative MPs willing to stand up and defend the Prime Minister now.

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1488194101812117509
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Boris getting strong support from Tory veteran Bill Cash
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,083
    Boris has a habit of burbling about drugs when under pressure. Remember his Labour want to legalise all class A drugs at PMQ'S?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW Senior Tory MP - not one or the usual critics - tells me: “That was a car crash. A lot of colleagues were waiting for the report to be published [before submitting letters of no confidence]. They may not wait now. He is is own worst enemy.” #SueGrayReport
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1488190396094111748

I still can't believe Priti Patel nodding in agreement with Sir Keir Starmer.

Blimey.

I might not be quite so scathing about her from now on.
    She has been awfully quiet in the last few weeks and days. She notably did not come to Cummings support either when everyone else did.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,208
    Chris said:

It’s very hard to read.

Don't underestimate their cravenness, but also don't underestimate their instinct to keep their jobs.
    Like mussels. Invertebrate but very firmly glued to the substrate.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,236
    Lol, complete cock up on 5Live. Talking to a woman in Hartlepool about Johnson. She made very reasonable points and then the interviewer says “you voted conservative last time, might this affect your decision next time?”. She answers “I’m sorry, I didn’t vote Conservative last time.”

I doubt she voted Brexit Party.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    HYUFD said:

In that case he really is ****ed!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,629
    UNLESS

He is confident that he has broken no law and thinks that not having broken a law (as opposed to the guidelines, rules, etc) he is golden. But also perhaps realising as the afternoon proceeds that people aren't angry with him on a technicality.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

UNLESS

He is confident that he has broken no law and thinks that not having broken a law (as opposed to the guidelines, rules, etc) he is golden. But also perhaps realising as the afternoon proceeds that people aren't angry with him on a technicality.

Any adulterer will tell you they convince themselves that it really isn't cheating and it is the other half's fault for making you cheat.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I do wonder how many of the breaches of the rules - let alone the guidelines - were by Carrie and her friends.

I suspect quite a few. The PM could argue that he had a reasonable excuse to be in the office. Carrie none. Nor Lulu or other friends.

That may explain some of his behaviour. He simply cannot - or dare not - admit something which would put his wife in the frame.

FWIW, this is where my thinking has gone. Hence, the 'check the official diaries' comment earlier.
    I've just had a horrible vision of BoJo stifling tears and saying that he has been acting all along to protect his wife and that he personally had no involvement in any wrongdoing..
    Why can't he just blame her? Gets the heatd off him, and she's not official any more than, say, a Speaker's wife is.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,083
    PM meeting all Tory Maps at 6.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Boris is on his way out

Yes, I think that is right. Blackford may be a pompous bombastic ass, but he was right to just say the plain honest truth on this occasion.
    Plus he now gets to spin a narrative something along these lines:
    You lie to parliament, the Queen, your ministers, the Speaker, the House, and the country, and the establishment rallies around you. You tell the truth in House, and they throw you out for the day. Westminster is borked, independence is the answer.

Blackford knew what he was doing, and today's clip is in the bank for future use.
  • Options

Commiserations to @Tissue_Price on losing his grandmother during the pandemic and being taken for a fool by a PM who didn't stick by the rules that prevented gatherings, including those of mourners grieving together.

Very powerful and moving contribution.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,174
    edited January 2022
    Apart from Johnson himself, and possibly Liz Truss, who actually wants him to go to Ukraine tonight?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,577

Wow - Boris responded to an accusation of drug taking in no 10 said, no you should look at the Labour front bench

If Blackford accusing Johnson of misleading the House is worthy of being hurled out of the HoC. Is accusing the opposition front bench of being smack-heads not unparliamentary?
  • Options
    Got my CNN on now.

If there's going to be a war I'll let you all know (I might be a bit slow in reporting it though cus I'm listening to my indie pop)
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited January 2022

Apart from Johnson himself, and possibly Liz Truss, who actually wants him to go to Ukraine tonight?

Putin.
  • Options

Whataboutery. Hmmm… what does that usually mean?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I do wonder how many of the breaches of the rules - let alone the guidelines - were by Carrie and her friends.

I suspect quite a few. The PM could argue that he had a reasonable excuse to be in the office. Carrie none. Nor Lulu or other friends.

That may explain some of his behaviour. He simply cannot - or dare not - admit something which would put his wife in the frame.

FWIW, this is where my thinking has gone. Hence, the 'check the official diaries' comment earlier.
    I've just had a horrible vision of BoJo stifling tears and saying that he has been acting all along to protect his wife and that he personally had no involvement in any wrongdoing..
    Why can't he just blame her? Gets the heatd off him, and she's not official any more than, say, a Speaker's wife is.
    She goes to the press
  • Options

The back bench "hear hears" in response to Tory MP softballs getting feebler....

Yes, that was very noticeable as time went on. They’ve had the wind knocked out of them once too often.
    Usually these sessions get progressively less effective but that didn't happen here. The sheer persistence of the critics and his inability to say anything but 'Wait for the Fuzz to tell me what I did' made him appear pathetic.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Boris is on his way out

You lie to parliament, the Queen, your ministers, the Speaker, the House, and the country, and the establishment rallies around you. You tell the truth in House, and they throw you out for the day. Westminster is borked, independence is the answer.

Blackford knew what he was doing, and today's clip is in the bank for future use.
    Especially as he offered to say 'inadvertently misled', which takes care of the mens rea issue.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Sex. That's why.

Unless he's going to say he didn't know anything about these parties because he was ... er ..... elsewhere.

Which could very well be true, of course.

Honestly, it's government as Feydeau farce.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson just declined to promise to resign if he is fined for breaching Covid rules.
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1488196241062305792
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,725
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Oh.

What does Carrie have to say about that, eh?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Boris is on his way out

Indeed. A bit "feart" of him not to go the whole hog though.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

PM meeting all Tory Maps at 6.

I do hope he's going to draw bridges all over these Maps. 😀
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,892
    Pretty good.

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,675

I do (as long as he doesn't come back).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The biggest Conservative general election victory since Tory MPs toppled Mrs Thatcher in 1990, yes
    Yes, I met the devil at a crossroads and he made me really good at the guitar. Absolutely no downsides, no more questions.
  • Options
    Redfield and Wilton.

Westminster Voting Intention (31 Jan):

Labour 40% (-1)
    Conservative 33% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 24 Jan

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1488195386800021505
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248

Greg Smith is a [moderated].

What did he say? I missed it
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Sex. That's why.

Unless he's going to say he didn't know anything about these parties because he was ... er ..... elsewhere.

Hmm. I was thinking more of loyalty, actually. But it's such an obvious way of deflecting things that I'm surprised they haven't already agreed to try it. Though come to think of if the relentless Tory attacks on Mrs Bercow would put anyone off the idea.
  • Options
    Labour MP @YasinForBedford asks Boris Johnson about this story: prime minister says it is 'completely ridiculous' to say he is corrupt https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1487066825066172424
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

One of the original “Bastards” identified by John Major, the last decent Tory PM.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556

There's been a few "wows" at the PM's comments from you today, Big G.

Is he taking you by surprise with his utter shamelessness?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson just declined to promise to resign if he is fined for breaching Covid rules.

He needs a boot. A very, very hard boot.
  • Options

A one way ticket would be fine!
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Boris running out of bluster.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Labour MP @YasinForBedford asks Boris Johnson about this story: prime minister says it is 'completely ridiculous' to say he is corrupt https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1487066825066172424

Mr J did get his Brexity PM-ship by going on about bananas. Though we are not yet a republic.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,577
    Scott_xP said:

He is Britain Trump.

His defence was very robust today. He clearly doesn't believe he has done anything wrong.
  • Options

What a pussy.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Sex. That's why.

Hmm. I was thinking more of loyalty, actually. But it's such an obvious way of deflecting things that I'm surprised they haven't already agreed to try it. Though come to think of if the relentless Tory attacks on Mrs Bercow would put anyone off the idea.
    Well, it could be loyalty of course. But ultimately he's the PM and he should have ensured that they as a family did what everyone else tried to do.

None of these explanations will work now. Though they might have done right at the start if accompanied by genuine contrition.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,174

Scott_xP said:

If the PM is fined it won't just be one £100. Lord Brownlow best get his chequebook ready.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Redfield and Wilton.

Labour 40% (-1)
    Conservative 33% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 24 Jan

Still Labour lead under 10% then and still only a hung parliament.

Electoral Calculus gives Labour 300, Conservatives 255 and LDs 19 on the new boundaries
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=33&LAB=40&LIB=11&Reform=3&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=18.3&SCOTLAB=20.2&SCOTLIB=6.6&SCOTReform=0.9&SCOTGreen=3&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Yep because Boris won't resign the only way he is leaving is if / when he is forced to do so either by Tory MPs (unlikely by the looks of it) or by the public at the next General Election.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

She goes to the press
    Yepp. Carrie knows where all the bodies are buried.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Boris running out of bluster.

He’s unfit. Not just morally, but physically. He’s got no stamina.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,920
    "Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi tests positive for Covid"

Well, that's one way of getting out of cheering Johnson's statement.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

She goes to the press
    Yepp. Carrie knows where all the bodies bottles are buried.
    FTFY
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Redfield and Wilton.

Labour 40% (-1)
    Conservative 33% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 24 Jan

Electoral Calculus gives Labour 300, Conservatives 255 and LDs 19 on the new boundaries
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=33&LAB=40&LIB=11&Reform=3&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=18.3&SCOTLAB=20.2&SCOTLIB=6.6&SCOTReform=0.9&SCOTGreen=3&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
    Starmer now leading Sunak by 1% on best PM as well though, 39% to 38%.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

If the PM is fined it won't just be one £100. Lord Brownlow best get his chequebook ready.
    £100 is about 2.6 minutes work if you're, say, a highly-paid Telegraph columnist.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Redfield and Wilton.

Labour 40% (-1)
    Conservative 33% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 24 Jan

Hm. That doesn't take into account Mr Johnson's scintillating performance at PMQ today.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DearPB said:

Lyndsey Hoyle found that genuinely upsetting

Not surprised Hoyle is upset. Blackford made an assertion which he is not allowed to make under parliamentary rules, about another member lying to the House, but which is incontrovertible in the case of Johnson. Johnson is also not allowed to lie to the House and actually lying is obviously far more serious than making allegations, but there is no available sanction against him.

The system is at fault and Blackford (justifiably in my view) is exploiting this failure.
    I think Hoyle's problem is that he and everyone else nows Boris has lied to the house but there isn't 100% clear unavoidable evidence to say as much yet.

Which means Parliament can't do anything about it. Personally I would be given Blackford a 9 day ban - because it would leave 10+ days as the only possible punishment when Boris is found to be lying and 10 days triggers a recall petition.
This discussion has been closed.