Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first findings from the Grey report don’t look good for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

I see Newcastle are putting together a great squad....for the Championship.

Interesting comment on R5 earlier about the first transfers Man City bought after the money arrived. Take a look. Not the players you might expect.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_in

Kompany, Robinho, Zabaleta, Jo, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Bridge, Bellamy, Given...

That's a mix of outstanding world class potential talent and well established UK based international pros.
    Kompany has to be the bargain of all time - an outstanding player, a brilliant leader and a thoroughly superb individual. What a buy.

Zabaleta was also a superb buy as well.

Jo, on the other hand....
    The point with Jo was at the time he was a full time Brazilian international and was a star in Russia.

To be fair, Guimarães is supposed to be very good, I am not sure anybody is renewing their season ticket because they signed Matt Targett or Chis Wood.
    How the Hell Jo become an international is a greater miracle than the Immaculate Conception.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,397
    MrEd said:

Roger said:

ping said:

Boris claimed that crime was down 14% but according to the ONS last Thursday it is UP 14%.

Safest to believe the precise opposite of any claim Boris makes. Indeed, I have no memory of an occasion when Boris has told the truth.

“Overall, Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) estimates provide the best indicator of long-term trends in crime. Estimates from the TCSEW for the year ending September 2021 compared with the pre-coronavirus year ending September 20192 show:

a 14% increase in total crime, driven by a 47% increase in fraud and computer misuse.

Crime excluding fraud and computer misuse decreased by 14%, largely driven by an 18% decrease in theft offences.”

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingseptember2021
    Theft and fraud have effectively moved online. It’s still crime though.
    No one reports theft anymore because you can only contact the police online and it's known that they do nothing. The only people who make a report are people who want a crime number for insurance purposes
    Actually, that's changing and our own Mike can add something on that. A couple of forces, led by Bedfordshire and (I think) Northants and Greater Manchester ran a scheme where they sent an officer to each burglary. Had such a big effect, it is being rolled out nationwide.
    I like the sound of this new fangled modern idea.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,938
    MrEd said:

Roger said:

Labour quick off the mark. I'm not a member but a simple email saying the country needs to change. Who can disagree so I sent them £25

Is that all? That's what you pay your cleaner for two weeks' work.
    A while since you've had a cleaner. That's what they asked for
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,044
    Best news of the day? Christian Eriksen to Brentford. Hope it goes well for him.
    Most surprising? Delle Alli to Everton? Really?
    Least surprising? The PM'S bluster. He really only has one gear of bollocks, doesn't he?
  • Options

Taz said:

MrEd said:

Interesting comment on R5 earlier about the first transfers Man City bought after the money arrived. Take a look. Not the players you might expect.

Kompany, Robinho, Zabaleta, Jo, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Bridge, Bellamy, Given...

That's a mix of outstanding world class potential talent and well established UK based international pros.
    Kompany has to be the bargain of all time - an outstanding player, a brilliant leader and a thoroughly superb individual. What a buy.

The point with Jo was at the time he was a full time Brazilian international and was a star in Russia.

To be fair, Guimarães is supposed to be very good, I am not sure anybody is renewing their season ticket because they signed Matt Targett or Chis Wood.
    JoeLinton was supposed to be very good too when they paid a similar amount for him. Oops.
    Brazilian Geoff Horsfield.
    Feed the horse and he will score, as my Fulham supporting mate used to,say.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

Katy Balls: Gray’s update, in which she was more than keen to stress this was not her report and just a summary, and Johnson’s response to it, has put him back in the danger zone.

When he needed to be statesmanlike and contrite, he was angry and combative – even refusing to commit to publishing the full report once the police investigation was concluded (a position Downing Street has already had to U-turn on).

His attack on Keir Starmer for the failure to prosecute Jimmy Savile (a claim that has been disproven) dismayed even his own MPs – while his questioning of drug use by the Labour frontbench was viewed as simply bizarre. “It was terrible,” says one member of the payroll… behind the scenes, discomfort is building. Johnson’s response to the report has only added to doubts about his future. For all the talk from Johnson of change in how No 10 operates, the part that most worries MPs is that he may not realise that he needs to change, too.

None of which makes any difference if nearly all his own MPs are too venal and cowardly to give him the boot. We'll end up being stuck with the bugger until 2024 - and if he makes a sufficiently effective job of bribing the aged, even that might not be the end of it.
    On a point of detail, surely Labour will be demanding a parliamentary apology for the saville comment?
    Even if they try they won't get it.

Honestly, first the Labour Party foisting Jeremy Corbyn and his mental cult upon the nation, and then the Tories with Boris Johnson the narcissistic, sociopathic compulsive liar - one has to wonder what we did to deserve this shower of shite. Up in Scotland, where they actually get another alternative that's capable of winning, you have to wonder what percentage of the SNP vote is really that sold on independence, and what fraction of it keep backing them over and over again because both the major alternatives are regarded as both irretrievably corrupt and certifiably insane.
    I've heard the non-independence wanting SNP vote to be as high as one third on BBC radio one night.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,965

MrEd said:

Decent player Chris Wood, I always liked him at Leicester. This is my favourite of his goals:

https://youtu.be/AlWZdBsUYJA

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited January 2022
    Taz said:

Taz said:

MrEd said:

JoeLinton was supposed to be very good too when they paid a similar amount for him. Oops.
    Brazilian Geoff Horsfield.
    Feed the horse and he will score, as my Fulham supporting mate used to,say.
    That was the only time he scored consistently in the professional game. And wasn't that when Fulham had a superstar team around him and won basically every game in the Championship?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    HYUFD said:

Most Tory backbenchers will never achieve anything in their political careers, and yet here is an opportunity to really make an impact.

By VONCing Boris, you get to uphold standards in public life AND be able to look at your children in the eye.

If not, not.

As a decision, indeed it’s easier than the one facing Republicans who at least have the excuse that their voters are also batshit insane. Polling shows that maybe even a majority of Tory voters think Boris lied and needs to go.

No more Tory voters tonight still think Boris should stay than go

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1488232558793945089?s=20&t=Fi3Wi04ksxsUmicRr2k1Tw
    Yes, keeping a steady proportion of a shrinking pie is [checks notes] good news?
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

May realised she needed a bigger majority to get Brexit through in some form. Stacked the election, for a number of reasons, winning only a pyrrhic victory.

Boris made the exact same calculation, helped by 2 more years of, how do we put this politely, wrangling.

Country really should not be surprised we're in the position we are in.

Good Analysis

Red lines, hard brexit, increasingly clear that she was on a course to a minimal deal, I was meaning, really. She certainly wasn't very good at implementing all that she had set the scene for by continually gratifying the ERG, though.

Bad Analysis
    The crucial missing word is in the first sentence - May realised she needed a bigger majority to get *Hard* Brexit through in some form. Soft Brexit wouldn't have allowed her to stay on as Tory leader, so, despite being a much more diligent and sometimes honourable prime minister than Boris Johnson, it was much her now forgotten opportunism that led to Boris as anything else.
    Hard and Soft Brexit is Remoaner language.

Both May and Boris were merely trying to get out of the EU which proved to be far more difficult than leaving a "democratic" institution should be.
    ...and Remoaner is the language of a moron.
    Well there was > 650 / 2 of them at one point.
    Damn right there was lad
    Yes well I was referring to Remoaners.

Sorry for not making that clear.
    Would rather be a remoaner than a whopper
    Blimey - You're still moronic enough to class yourself as a Remoaner?

Do you think Sir Keir will get you back in to the European Union???
    We had to put up with Leavers moaning for 40 years... Your point?
    No you haven't. UKIP aren't 40 years old. And Farage (the policy entrepenour) has only been prominent for 10 years or so.
    Weren't the Labour left the UKIPers of their day- 40 plus years ago?
    Well I was in nappies forty years ago...
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

May realised she needed a bigger majority to get Brexit through in some form. Stacked the election, for a number of reasons, winning only a pyrrhic victory.

Boris made the exact same calculation, helped by 2 more years of, how do we put this politely, wrangling.

Good Analysis

Red lines, hard brexit, increasingly clear that she was on a course to a minimal deal, I was meaning, really. She certainly wasn't very good at implementing all that she had set the scene for by continually gratifying the ERG, though.

Bad Analysis
    The crucial missing word is in the first sentence - May realised she needed a bigger majority to get *Hard* Brexit through in some form. Soft Brexit wouldn't have allowed her to stay on as Tory leader, so, despite being a much more diligent and sometimes honourable prime minister than Boris Johnson, it was much her now forgotten opportunism that led to Boris as anything else.

Both May and Boris were merely trying to get out of the EU which proved to be far more difficult than leaving a "democratic" institution should be.
    Damn right there was lad

No you haven't. UKIP aren't 40 years old. And Farage (the policy entrepenour) has only been prominent for 10 years or so.
    You need a history lesson.

In 1983 the Labour Party had a manifesto commitment to leave the European Community and the 1990s was absolutely quiet on the EC/EU matters in Parliament.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Most Tory backbenchers will never achieve anything in their political careers, and yet here is an opportunity to really make an impact.

By VONCing Boris, you get to uphold standards in public life AND be able to look at your children in the eye.

If not, not.

As a decision, indeed it’s easier than the one facing Republicans who at least have the excuse that their voters are also batshit insane. Polling shows that maybe even a majority of Tory voters think Boris lied and needs to go.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1488232558793945089?s=20&t=Fi3Wi04ksxsUmicRr2k1Tw
    Yes, keeping a steady proportion of a shrinking pie is [checks notes] good news?
    It is to HYUFD.
    He seems to imply upthread that SCONs are.l not proper CONs.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,075
    MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

Watching Ch4 News it's easy to imagine him going and quickly. It was something from the Kindergarten. Quite embarrassing for all Tories and all Johnson supporters. He's a lump and a man child. Watching Ruth Davidson crying was quite shocking

JBriskin3 said:

My twitter's hinting that Nadine was drunk for her media stint.

Does Ms/(Mrs?) Davidson have the same excuse?

Lady Davidson, actually, now she doesn't bother to get elected any more. What's she been doing?
    I forgot about the Lady thing, ta

Lady Davidson was "greeting" on C4 news.
    Oh, why? I missed it. What's she been slicing onions over?
    Boris.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1488235127847243780?s=20&t=-jcQ1mKOZVYHOyRcmYljhA
    Anyone who cries over the behaviour of a politician is daft. And, no, I am not including @Tissue_Price who has a genuine thing to be upset about
    Tbf I think it was triggered by her own similar recollections, earlier in the interview
    If that is the case, that explains it. But Johnson is a shit, anyone who deals with anyone of his type knows that. I'd go for drinks with him but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. If you genuinely put your life's work in the hands of such a person and now upset he's betrayed you, well...

But, yes, your point re grief at relatives dying still holds
    On the other hand, my pointing out that she is now Lady D reminds me that she was quite happy to accept a peerage and sit in the Lords as one of his party. It's not as if she has become a cross-bencher.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    HYUFD said:

If not, not.

The average Tory voter is now aged about 72 and would happily elect Lucifer if he pledged to tax the absolute shit out of the young to cover the cost of their having their arses wiped when they go gaga. One is moved to quote the famous Orwellian analogy,

“England... resembles a family, a rather stuffy Victorian family, with not many black sheep in it but with all its cupboards bursting with skeletons. It has rich relations who have to be kow-towed to and poor relations who are horribly sat upon, and there is a deep conspiracy of silence about the source of the family income. It is a family in which the young are generally thwarted and most of the power is in the hands of irresponsible uncles and bedridden aunts... A family with the wrong members in control - that, perhaps is as near as one can come to describing England in a phrase.”
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited January 2022
    Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Decent player Chris Wood, I always liked him at Leicester. This is my favourite of his goals:

https://youtu.be/AlWZdBsUYJA

He will do very well in the Championship, as he did with Leeds.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited January 2022

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

It is to HYUFD.
    He seems to imply upthread that SCONs are.l not proper CONs.
    No, however it is a fact that there are more SCon MPs and MSPs under Boris than there ever were under Cameron, not that they have shown him much gratitude
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,267
    "Instead of reinforcing the momentum in his favour, he quite possibly stalled it. If I were him, I would be very worried about the number of his own MPs who asked unhelpful questions at the end of his statement" | ✍️

@WilliamJHague

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-has-promised-the-bare-minimum-3jp9w6rsw
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

No, they saw the common market as a capitalist plot to erode workers rights.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

In 1983 the Labour Party had a manifesto commitment to leave the European Community and the 1990s was absolutely quiet on the EC/EU matters in Parliament.
    Yes someone else has made a similar point.

I withdraw. (see how easy it's done Mr Blackford? #BlackfordBottledIt)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,451
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

Well I was in nappies forty years ago...
    It's quite remarkable how the likes of Eric Heffer have morphed into Andrew Bridgen.

The Conservatives were very Euro friendly back in the day. Ah well.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Unpopular said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

Nadine Dorries is clearly an idiot, but she didn't seem drunk to me. Not at all. Playing a bad hand badly, and seemingly surly and defensive. But not drunk.

I didn't have the sound on - but it was quite a drunken sway.

But back to my point-

What was Ms Davidson's excuse?
    She is watching Boris destroy her precious union.
    I mean, as a Unionist living in Scotland, he definitely is destroying the Union.
    Go Boris!
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

The difference is, once in a blue moon, Blackford gets something right.
    Whereas you're just a tit.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

The average Tory voter is now aged about 72 and would happily elect Lucifer if he pledged to tax the absolute shit out of the young to cover the cost of their having their arses wiped when they go gaga. One is moved to quote the famous Orwellian analogy,

“England... resembles a family, a rather stuffy Victorian family, with not many black sheep in it but with all its cupboards bursting with skeletons. It has rich relations who have to be kow-towed to and poor relations who are horribly sat upon, and there is a deep conspiracy of silence about the source of the family income. It is a family in which the young are generally thwarted and most of the power is in the hands of irresponsible uncles and bedridden aunts... A family with the wrong members in control - that, perhaps is as near as one can come to describing England in a phrase.”
    The young will inherit more than any generation before them once they reach middle age, thanks to the prudence of the old
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

No, but it's a plausible comfort blanket, an excuse to put of the unpleasantness for a bit longer. After all, if the May election results are bad but not catastrophic, that will buy a bit more time. Maybe Gray or the Met will do the dirty work for them.

Deposing any leader is unpleasant, and prising Johnson's fingers from the Downing Street railings will be worse than most. Much easier to procrastinate, and delay, and cluck and then it'll be too late.

But if Conservative MPs duck this, they don't deserve to be MPs.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    IanB2 said:

MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

Watching Ch4 News it's easy to imagine him going and quickly. It was something from the Kindergarten. Quite embarrassing for all Tories and all Johnson supporters. He's a lump and a man child. Watching Ruth Davidson crying was quite shocking

JBriskin3 said:

Lady Davidson, actually, now she doesn't bother to get elected any more. What's she been doing?

Boris.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1488235127847243780?s=20&t=-jcQ1mKOZVYHOyRcmYljhA
    Anyone who cries over the behaviour of a politician is daft. And, no, I am not including @Tissue_Price who has a genuine thing to be upset about
    Tbf I think it was triggered by her own similar recollections, earlier in the interview
    Davidson struck a chord. People feel that they have been taken for fools. Anyone who went through something like not being able to bury a child or be with a relative when they were dying understands this emotional reaction. It is a feeling of personal failure, that you were cowardly and pathetic for not wanting to 'break the rules'. I couldn't cry about it myself because I am too stoic and unemotional, but it is a truly shameful episode.

• Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

The policy on the European community was one of the things that drove the split in the party which saw the birth of the SDP.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Boris’s maximum period of danger is now.
    If there is no VONC in the morning, there won’t be one.

Unless Dom has another leak up his sleeve, although it feels like all his bullets have been used up and/or taken away by the Met.

I still think once he gets through this, and he will, the May locals are the real danger for him. Performs badly there and I think he’s doomed.
    I’m not sure. Has there been any analysis of what “badly” means for these locals?

I think the Tories are waiting for a credible successor. Nobody has demonstrated that they can fix the polling / deliver what the backbenchers* are looking for.

*The ERG / fiscal dries / red wallers.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

If that is the case, that explains it. But Johnson is a shit, anyone who deals with anyone of his type knows that. I'd go for drinks with him but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. If you genuinely put your life's work in the hands of such a person and now upset he's betrayed you, well...

On the other hand, my pointing out that she is now Lady D reminds me that she was quite happy to accept a peerage and sit in the Lords as one of his party. It's not as if she has become a cross-bencher.
    Baroness D sits in the Lords, enjoys Lords fine dining and bars and attendance allowance, use of the library etc and a grand title thanks to Boris. Baroness D never has to ask a single voter to vote for her again thanks to Boris
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Redfield and Wilton.

Westminster Voting Intention (31 Jan):

Labour 40% (-1)
    Conservative 33% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 24 Jan

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1488195386800021505

Still Labour lead under 10% then and still only a hung parliament.

Electoral Calculus gives Labour 300, Conservatives 255 and LDs 19 on the new boundaries
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=33&LAB=40&LIB=11&Reform=3&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=18.3&SCOTLAB=20.2&SCOTLIB=6.6&SCOTReform=0.9&SCOTGreen=3&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
    Starmer now leading Sunak by 1% on best PM as well though, 39% to 38%.
    So even Sunak does not lead Starmer as best PM.

Good news for Boris there as well as Starmer
    I would be quite interested in hypothetical Mordaunt vs Starmer polling as I don't think we've had that although of course she probably has low name recognition
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Unless Dom has another leak up his sleeve, although it feels like all his bullets have been used up and/or taken away by the Met.

I still think once he gets through this, and he will, the May locals are the real danger for him. Performs badly there and I think he’s doomed.
    Provided the Tories hold Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster Boris will be fine.

Most of England does not have local elections in May, though London has all councillors up
    I wonder what a 'bad' result for the Tories would be regarded as? I think the worst case scenario for the Tories is a reversal of the 2021 result. Something like Lab 36% Con 29% in the NEV.

I don't think there are any councils in England outside London the Tories can lose majority control of directly to Labour apart from Southampton. Labour will be mainly hoping to pick up various councils from NOC like Kirklees, Worthing, Plymouth etc although the Tories could lose a few councils to NOC like Cannock Chase or even Solihull.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    IanB2 said:

pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

Katy Balls: Gray’s update, in which she was more than keen to stress this was not her report and just a summary, and Johnson’s response to it, has put him back in the danger zone.

When he needed to be statesmanlike and contrite, he was angry and combative – even refusing to commit to publishing the full report once the police investigation was concluded (a position Downing Street has already had to U-turn on).

His attack on Keir Starmer for the failure to prosecute Jimmy Savile (a claim that has been disproven) dismayed even his own MPs – while his questioning of drug use by the Labour frontbench was viewed as simply bizarre. “It was terrible,” says one member of the payroll… behind the scenes, discomfort is building. Johnson’s response to the report has only added to doubts about his future. For all the talk from Johnson of change in how No 10 operates, the part that most worries MPs is that he may not realise that he needs to change, too.

None of which makes any difference if nearly all his own MPs are too venal and cowardly to give him the boot. We'll end up being stuck with the bugger until 2024 - and if he makes a sufficiently effective job of bribing the aged, even that might not be the end of it.
    On a point of detail, surely Labour will be demanding a parliamentary apology for the saville comment?
    Boris next week, at the despatch box: "Saville? What is the Rt Hon gentleman going on about? I never mentioned Saville - I have no idea who Saville was"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

The young will inherit more than any generation before them once they reach middle age, thanks to the prudence of the old
    More likely once they reach old age, by which time it is probably too late to make any significant difference. Even middle age is pushing it, and might at best mean a slightly earlier retirement.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

The difference is, once in a blue moon, Blackford gets something right.
    Whereas you're just a tit.
    Well I've not been at my best today - didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

And I've been posting for a while now so I'll take a break

Laters fellow PBers.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 788

Unpopular said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

Nadine Dorries is clearly an idiot, but she didn't seem drunk to me. Not at all. Playing a bad hand badly, and seemingly surly and defensive. But not drunk.

I didn't have the sound on - but it was quite a drunken sway.

But back to my point-

What was Ms Davidson's excuse?
    She is watching Boris destroy her precious union.
    I mean, as a Unionist living in Scotland, he definitely is destroying the Union.
    Go Boris!
    He, and notables around him, seem to go out their way to prove everything the SNP say about Westminster.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,044
    edited January 2022

Taz said:

I’m not sure. Has there been any analysis of what “badly” means for these locals?

I think the Tories are waiting for a credible successor. Nobody has demonstrated that they can fix the polling / deliver what the backbenchers* are looking for.

This year's locals are the one's the PM would have chosen. Might get away with sub-200 losses.
    Lucky old Bozza again.
    And the backbenchers want mutually exclusive things as you allude to. So, no surprise no one has fixed it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,542

IanB2 said:

pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

Boris next week, at the despatch box: "Saville? What is the Rt Hon gentleman going on about? I never mentioned Saville - I have no idea who Saville was"
    There will be a row about Saville...
  • Options

Taz said:

I don’t think anyone can deliver what they all want as they all seem to want different things. It’s a coalition that will be hard to hold together.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

What is your advice to those without inheritance?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Lady D sits in the Lords, enjoys Lords fine dining and attendance allowance, use of the library etc and a grand title thanks to Boris. Lady D never has to ask a single voter to vote for her again thanks to Boris
    Oh, you are considering joining the SNP to follow on from PC, given the SNP view on the HoL? Well, well, it's been quite a day politically.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Provided the Tories hold Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster Boris will be fine.

Isn't that what Ken Baker said in 1990 ?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,938
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Am told Boris Johnson compared himself to Othello while addressing Conservative MPs tonight. He said he always sees the best in people, unlike Dominic Cummings (who he cast as Iago)
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1488249949284409354

Oh that this too too solid flesh would melt.
    Maybe worried about an old black ram tupping his white ewe
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

The policy on the European community was one of the things that drove the split in the party which saw the birth of the SDP.
    Correct, the only main party which has been consistently pro European has been the Liberal Democrats.

Socialists used to hate the EEC as much as the Tories now hate the EU
  • Options
    This thread has been edited.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

I don’t think anyone can deliver what they all want as they all seem to want different things. It’s a coalition that will be hard to hold together.
    Well, that’s the point.

There’s no trust or confidence in Boris (see Lord Frost’s tweet this morning) but nobody else can pretend to spin all the plates either.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,500
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

There will be a row about Saville...
    I’d be interested to know if anyone ever tried to bring evidence about Saville to the cps. Strongly doubt anything ever got that far.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

Ah-ha, the secret is, it doesn't matter. The children who inherit a lot don't actually SPEND it -- that would be imprudent. No, they just save up so that their own children can inherit even more. The poor don't spend what they don't have. The rich are too prudent to spend what they do have. And slowly, through the most unexpected of routes, HYUFD's communist revolution is achieved without a drop of blood spilled.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,542

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Redfield and Wilton.

Westminster Voting Intention (31 Jan):

Labour 40% (-1)
    Conservative 33% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 24 Jan

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1488195386800021505

Still Labour lead under 10% then and still only a hung parliament.

Electoral Calculus gives Labour 300, Conservatives 255 and LDs 19 on the new boundaries
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=33&LAB=40&LIB=11&Reform=3&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=18.3&SCOTLAB=20.2&SCOTLIB=6.6&SCOTReform=0.9&SCOTGreen=3&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
    Starmer now leading Sunak by 1% on best PM as well though, 39% to 38%.
    So even Sunak does not lead Starmer as best PM.

Good news for Boris there as well as Starmer
    I would be quite interested in hypothetical Mordaunt vs Starmer polling as I don't think we've had that although of course she probably has low name recognition
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Most of England does not have local elections in May, though London has all councillors up
    I wonder what a 'bad' result for the Tories would be regarded as? I think the worst case scenario for the Tories is a reversal of the 2021 result. Something like Lab 36% Con 29% in the NEV.

I don't think there are any councils in England outside London the Tories can lose majority control of directly to Labour apart from Southampton. Labour will be mainly hoping to pick up various councils from NOC like Kirklees, Worthing, Plymouth etc although the Tories could lose a few councils to NOC like Cannock Chase or even Solihull.
    Both of those last have been trending Tory for years, regardless of the National results.

It's actually possible Labour could fall back further here, although the Greens might make some ground up to compensate.

Equally if the Liberal Democrats could win North Shropshire, who knows anymore?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Isn't that what Ken Baker said in 1990 ?
    Yes and Thatcher faced no challenge after.

It was worsening polls later in the year and loss of the Eastbourne by election which proved fatal
  • Options

O, now, for ever
    Farewell the tranquil mind; farewell content.
    Farewell this thread!

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

Ah-ha, the secret is, it doesn't matter. The children who inherit a lot don't actually SPEND it -- that would be imprudent. No, they just save up so that their own children can inherit even more. The poor don't spend what they don't have. The rich are too prudent to spend what they do have. And slowly, through the most unexpected of routes, HYUFD's communist revolution is achieved without a drop of blood spilled.
    I had some maybe new friends over on Saturday. She (a COO) was comparing about a Gen-Zer who was quitting because she only wanted to work 3 days a week.

I pointed out it was quite rational, given that said Gen-Zer, without family money, was never likely to own her own home or maybe even pay off her student loan.

Why bother keeping the hamster wheel going?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

IanB2 said:

MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Lady D sits in the Lords, enjoys Lords fine dining and attendance allowance, use of the library etc and a grand title thanks to Boris. Lady D never has to ask a single voter to vote for her again thanks to Boris
    Oh, you are considering joining the SNP to follow on from PC, given the SNP view on the HoL? Well, well, it's been quite a day politically.
    No, I am a strong supporter of the Lords.

Just saying Davidson should be grateful to Boris for putting her there
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

So how much have you inherited ?

I've managed about £2k so far.

Not that I've ever let possible inheritances affect my financial planning - I leave that to those of a Mandelson/Austen mentality.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

They are a minority and most of them if under 50 vote Labour anyway.

However for them unemployment is still low and there has been no rise in income tax under this government
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

However for them unemployment is still low and there has been no rise in income tax under this government
    That isn't advice.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

Apart from inflation and the forthcoming national insurance rise.

You really have no idea. I wonder if you are this callous and obtuse in real life.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

So how much have you inherited ?

I've managed about £2k so far.

Not that I've ever let possible inheritances affect my financial planning - I leave that to those of a Mandelson/Austen mentality.
    More than that but I am a Conservative not a Liberal or a Socialist, I believe in inherited wealth.

Inheritance tax is still there, just Osborne raised the threshold to £1 million for married couples in one of the best Tory policies of the Cameron years
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

That isn't advice.
    It is; it can be translated as “go do one”.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

IanB2 said:

pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

Boris: Clearly I was referring to the Saville Inquiry and the shameful role that his party has played in supporting terrorism in the past.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,927
    Scott_xP said:

"Instead of reinforcing the momentum in his favour, he quite possibly stalled it. If I were him, I would be very worried about the number of his own MPs who asked unhelpful questions at the end of his statement" | ✍️

@WilliamJHague

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-has-promised-the-bare-minimum-3jp9w6rsw

I have just ploughed through the Hansard report, as I could only listen to the PM statement and SKS response this afternoon.

31 Con questions (about 1/3rd unhelpful, 2/3 supportive, I'd say)

45 Lab questions

18 SNP

5 LD

5 others

I think the relative lack of Con MPs asking supportive questions is ominous for Johnson.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@WilliamJHague

I have just ploughed through the Hansard report, as I could only listen to the PM statement and SKS response this afternoon.

31 Con questions (about 1/3rd unhelpful, 2/3 supportive, I'd say)

45 Lab questions

18 SNP

5 LD

5 others

I think the relative lack of Con MPs asking supportive questions is ominous for Johnson.
    Chapeau though to those 20 odd Tories who were happy to stand up and go full retard in front of their peers.

I personally wouldn't have the stones.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,049
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

They would benefit more from being able to keep more of their money now, rather that paying more in tax now in order to get some of it back later.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

You really have no idea. I wonder if you are this callous and obtuse in real life.
    Have you seen any evidence that HYUFD is anything but 100% consistent(ly wrong).
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

Have you seen any evidence that HYUFD is anything but 100% consistent(ly wrong).
    Many people on here are close to 100% wrong. But HYUFD is almost unique I think in the fact that he refuses ever to concede it.

Add that to his autistic repetition of key lines, and his petty-fascist tendencies, and it all adds up to someone I’d pay money to avoid meeting in person.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

More like, the lucky young will toil away in poverty until they're about 60 waiting for an inheritance, and everybody else will simply toil away in poverty until they drop down dead.

We already live in a country where a large fraction of the populace is so hard-up that finance companies have started to hawk them loans to buy food, where most people's wages have been stagnating for years and now haven't a prayer of keeping up with inflation, and where the middle class is gradually dissolving away in the acid of punishingly high housing costs - again, if they're lucky it's a massive mortgage on a stupidly overpriced house; if they aren't then they're pissing away a great slab of their earnings on rent.

What happens to Margaret Thatcher's homeowning democracy when the average age of those who can afford to buy is now over 30 and owner-occupation as a whole is in sustained decline? The answer, of course, is that it dies. As wealth becomes more and more concentrated in the hands of a progressively narrower asset-owning class, so fewer people will have anything left to conserve and the harder it is going to become for the Conservative Party to hang on to power, no matter how efficiently its remaining vote is distributed. Nor will waving your little Union Jacks and boring everyone to tears with how you made Brexit happen continue to keep your heads above water for the rest of time.

Eventually there will be so many people in this country who are either barely managing or reduced to begging for handouts from food banks that they will finally attain the ability to vote in a socialist administration, simply because they are desperate and completely sick of being poor - and they will exact their vengeance in the form of eyewatering taxes on high incomes, capital gains, and most of all estates. If you make assets the preserve of the minority then sooner or later the majority will work out that they can ease their own poverty by voting to confiscate them.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

More like, the lucky young will toil away in poverty until they're about 60 waiting for an inheritance, and everybody else will simply toil away in poverty until they drop down dead.

We already live in a country where a large fraction of the populace is so hard-up that finance companies have started to hawk them loans to buy food, where most people's wages have been stagnating for years and now haven't a prayer of keeping up with inflation, and where the middle class is gradually dissolving away in the acid of punishingly high housing costs - again, if they're lucky it's a massive mortgage on a stupidly overpriced house; if they aren't then they're pissing away a great slab of their earnings on rent.

What happens to Margaret Thatcher's homeowning democracy when the average age of those who can afford to buy is now over 30 and owner-occupation as a whole is in sustained decline? The answer, of course, is that it dies. As wealth becomes more and more concentrated in the hands of a progressively narrower asset-owning class, so fewer people will have anything left to conserve and the harder it is going to become for the Conservative Party to hang on to power, no matter how efficiently its remaining vote is distributed. Nor will waving your little Union Jacks and boring everyone to tears with how you made Brexit happen continue to keep your heads above water for the rest of time.

Eventually there will be so many people in this country who are either barely managing or reduced to begging for handouts from food banks that they will finally attain the ability to vote in a socialist administration, simply because they are desperate and completely sick of being poor - and they will exact their vengeance in the form of eyewatering taxes on high incomes, capital gains, and most of all estates. If you make assets the preserve of the minority then sooner or later the majority will work out that they can ease their own poverty by voting to confiscate them.
    Rubbish, most people have still bought a property by 39. Often helped by funds from their parents savings for a deposit.

Less than 5% of the population are unemployed (fewer than the number of unemployed Labour left when last in government in 2010)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I enjoy this site but this has to be one of the most unconsidered comments I've seen and I have been lurking on and off for several years. It has inspired my first post.

The costs of unfettered capitalist lifestyles on our climate mean that the next generation are going to inherit nothing useful. You are telling yourself lies if you believe differently. The costs of our lifestyles have been deferred. Future generations will not be able to live like we do.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If not, not.

Many people on here are close to 100% wrong. But HYUFD is almost unique I think in the fact that he refuses ever to concede it.

Add that to his autistic repetition of key lines, and his petty-fascist tendencies, and it all adds up to someone I’d pay money to avoid meeting in person.
    I feel the same about you, so that equalises nicely
This discussion has been closed.