Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first findings from the Grey report don’t look good for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,638
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

If Boris is charged, convicted, sentenced and sent down. Boris, his supporters and possibly HYUFD will say he can carry on. There is no place where they will draw a line. Someone else has to draw that line.

Nelson Mandela was jailed and came back to lead his country but obviously I am not making that direct comparison.

If Boris was arrested and jailed he would have to cease being Tory leader and PM at that point
    What a bizarre comment

You become more ridiculous day by day
    Actually quite a few leaders have done time then returned to lead

Lenin?
    Stalin maybe
    Vaclav Havel
    Gandhi
    Ho Chi Minh
    Aung Sun Sue Khi
    Nehru
    Hitler
    Mussolini too
    Just before he was hung from a lamppost?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,156

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

If Boris is charged, convicted, sentenced and sent down. Boris, his supporters and possibly HYUFD will say he can carry on. There is no place where they will draw a line. Someone else has to draw that line.

Nelson Mandela was jailed and came back to lead his country but obviously I am not making that direct comparison.

If Boris was arrested and jailed he would have to cease being Tory leader and PM at that point
    What a bizarre comment

Lenin?
    Stalin maybe
    Vaclav Havel
    Gandhi
    Ho Chi Minh
    Aung Sun Sue Khi
    Nehru
    Oh, that's much more like it! With that post you are competing with HYUFD for the Unembarrassed Boris Apologist Award, also known as the Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf Award for Most Comical & Absurd Defence
    We are missing the best example from that list - Hitler.

Hitler was also jailed for treason and sentenced to five years in Landsberg Prison, he dictated Mein Kampf to fellow prisoners Emil Maurice and Rudolf Hess. On 20 December 1924, having served only nine months, Hitler was released.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,233

An honourable man would resign.
    A patriotic party would remove him.
    It's that simple.

Yep, a mirror image re-run of Labour's slow car crash with Corbyn.
    And Tony Blair.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    House sounds angry af
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,552
    edited January 2022
    Oh dear - "I get it and I will fix it".

Now into "Yes We Can" Bob the Builder chanting.

We are SURELY better than this.
  • Options

Oh for goodness' sake. Throwing No 10 and CabOff civil servants under the bus to save his skin.

That is inevitably but now for all the sound and fury Boris's future is entirely in his mps
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    He's just blaming the civil service....
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,917
    edited January 2022
    Look! A freeport staffed entirely by squirrels!
  • Options
    Getting brexit done and boosters stuff lame

This is not about Gray
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,940

I'll mend the bus that I crashed, says drink driver

Yeah but what does it say on the side?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,972
    Tory benches look very sombre
  • Options

Oh for goodness' sake. Throwing No 10 and CabOff civil servants under the bus to save his skin.

Yep - that's Boris. Anyone and everyone can go if it allows him to stay for another day.

And remember that 54 MPs need to write letters but I bet by close of play tonight there aren't anything like 54 letters written.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,903
    Looks like a 3-line Whip on senior cabinet ministers on the Front Bench.
  • Options
    SKS homing in on the Lie.
  • Options
    Angela's parting straight for once. What is she telling us?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839
    edited January 2022

Yes, it's getting on for 4pm and they're still sober.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Too drawn out.
  • Options
    Much better from SKS today.
  • Options

Their response both in the debate and tonight will decide whether Boris stays in post

We should know this week even by tomorrow
  • Options

Looks like a 3-line Whip on senior cabinet ministers on the Front Bench.

To be fair, you'd want a ringside seat at a parliamentary spectacle like this one.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Too drawn out.
    No, not a big SKS fan but this is good.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Starmer still believing that the pointless rules weren't pointless.
  • Options
    I get it, and I will fix it.

"Fix" has more than one meaning, lad.
  • Options
    SKS really sticking the knife in...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Getting brexit done and boosters stuff lame

This is not about Gray

In a sane and just world you'll be winning your bet.
  • Options
    Starmer pulling out all the stops
  • Options
    Thatcher quote good
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Starmer, quoting Thatcher lol
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,972
    Very powerful from SKS
  • Options
    This is actually great from Starmer imo. It's real and sincere and powerful.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,204

eek said:

I give no pass to Boris, but Rayner trying to excuse the civil servants involved is an utterly nonsense

Were you a civil servant in No 10 was it better for your career to attend the parties or to avoid them

Up to early December 2021 I suspect attending parties was a better career move as it meant you were in with the right people.
    I do not have an issue with junior civil servants but those in management should resign in block
    FDA leader is very critical - demands full publication eventually. Graun feed says

The FDA, the union representing senior civil servants, says the full Sue Gray report must be published eventually. In a statement, its general secretary, Dave Penman, said:

"[...] The general findings will make uncomfortable reading for all of those in leadership positions in No.10, whether political or official. While no one can question their commitment and hard work when they led the country’s response to the pandemic, they were not alone, as hundreds of thousands of key workers in the public and private sector made extraordinary sacrifices throughout this time. Whatever led to a culture where they lost a sense of perspective has to be addressed quickly, as the report recommends."
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    The Tories need some policy resets as well as getting shut of BoJo in order to stand a chance of winning next election. The Tory back benchers need to oust him now for their own careers. Have an interim PM and elect a new leader. If there is a poll recovery then October election to get fresh mandate. Not sure I want them to do it as I think they might get re-elected but good governance does demand that he goes ASAP.
  • Options
    The clown is really rattled
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2022
    On a lighter note, how desperate do you have to be to claim in an official government document, dishonestly, that one of the benefits of Brexit is 'to provide opportunities for the cruise industry to allow people to get married at sea'?

Was that some civil servant trying to troll us with the most ludicrous nonsense he could slip into the report?
  • Options
    Woah! Not sure I’d be bringing up Jimmy Savile.
  • Options
    Front bench incl bozo looking sick as parrots

This is bloody cracking from SKS
  • Options
    Wow - Boris attacks Starmer over Savile
  • Options
    Wow "SKS as DPP spent his time prosecuting journalists but not Jimmy Saville as far as i can see"
  • Options
    FFS...get his clown out right now.
  • Options
    Savile. Stay classy.
  • Options
    Boris might be signing his own death warrant here.
  • Options
    Savile?

Tilbury?

I thought this was a statement on Gray investigation?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,917
    Priti Patel doesn't look happy at all.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,073
    Leon said:

Difficult to express how boring this all seems from 5000 miles away, by the lacy moonlit waves of the Laccadive Sea

I accept that’s it’s probably way more exciting if you are there in, er, Swindon, or whatever.

It just seems phenomenally trivial. Obviously wrong, but equally trivial.

I wonder if for this reason Boris has an unexpected chance of reviving, as no other PM which such terrible polling has ever done.

I never cared much for the lockdown rules, in fact I thought them idiotic and harmful. I broke them at every possible opportunity. Because as a healthy man in his late thirties, the risk of going completely mental from the isolation far outweighed the risk of covid.

And I would not blame a single other person for doing the same. I would not blame a couple for throwing a party in their own home. I would not blame a teenager for setting up a soundsystem and going raving in the forest of dean. I would not blame a middle aged son or daughter for going to spend time with an elderly relative. Etc. So many things are more important than "covid". As most of us, two years later, have now seen.

But the fact is, it was Boris who made those stupid, pointless, horrific rules that turned our country into an orwellian police state where neighbours tittle tattled on each other and joy was banned in a way not seen since Oliver Cromwell.

And Boris broke those rules. For that hypocrisy, I damn him.

If anyone else attended a party, or hosted one, I would not give a flying fig. But when the architects of lockdown, and all the horrors that came with it, are shown to have repeatedly and egregiously broken their own rules, I hope someone throws the book at them.
  • Options
    Having criticised Starmer for not focusing on the contents of the report, the clown is now talking about the EMA and NATO
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,569
    Bozza has just absolutely smashed Starmer out of the park.

The Jimmy Saville comment was superb. Absolutely brilliant performance from Johnson.

Big Dog is saved!
  • Options
    Go on Theresa…call for a resignation
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    Starmer started well, got dull, then improved from the moment he quoted Thatcher.

Johnson's response is pretty disgraceful.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,883
    SKS impassive. Letting Boris hang.

And May next up!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,078
    T May up next.
    G Howe of today?
  • Options
    T May wants him gone quelle suprise
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    For ages I’ve said Starmer wasn’t up to it. And it’s still hard to get over some of his policy failures in the last few years. But oh my. That was stirring, powerful and persuasive. And I suspect the silent majority on the government benches know it.
  • Options
    Theresa on the ball
  • Options
    Falling back on Brexit, as usual
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,163
    I think Boris’ statement and response will be enough on their own to persuade enough Tories to send in their letters.

It’s this sort of bollocks which angers voters

“Yes Mr Speaker, I was found holding the bloody knife saying I killed the bastard but look at what I did before, and Freeport’s, and Labour smell”……
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,979
    Johnson is shouting utter waffle across the house.

Looks like a man who knows he’s in trouble
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,058
    Theresa May asks a question...
  • Options
    Come on Tessy... revenge is going to taste sweet.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Boris obviously read a different version of the report
  • Options

Wow "SKS as DPP spent his time prosecuting journalists but not Jimmy Saville as far as i can see"

Yep because the Police couldn't provided enough witnesses to justify a prosecution.

We covered that story last week on here as I remember double checking why nothing happened.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,314
    Good performance from Starmer.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,441
    Crikey ... Theresa May
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Parties would have not happened under May's watch, absolutely 100% sure of that
  • Options
    Blackford attacking Gray!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    What a zinger from May!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,314
    Theresa May basically calling for Johnson to go.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Difficult to express how boring this all seems from 5000 miles away, by the lacy moonlit waves of the Laccadive Sea

I accept that’s it’s probably way more exciting if you are there in, er, Swindon, or whatever.

It just seems phenomenally trivial. Obviously wrong, but equally trivial.

I wonder if for this reason Boris has an unexpected chance of reviving, as no other PM which such terrible polling has ever done.

Presenting things as boring or complicated and so not worth the bother is a standard evasion tactic.

Much will be trivial, were it not for the context and particularly comments made about those events. And suddenly even the boring and trivial can become more vital. The pettiness can compound the error not exculpate the participant.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,743
    jonny83 said:

Yeah but they wouldn't have happened in normal times
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    eek said:

Yep because the Police couldn't provided enough witnesses to justify a prosecution.

We covered that story last week on here as I remember double checking why nothing happened.
    I know Boris desperately got the silage chucker out hoping some of it will stick.
  • Options
    ThePoliticalPartyThePoliticalParty Posts: 446
    edited January 2022
    I trust a letter from May to Brady will be sent within the hour
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Wot, no Dancing Queen?
  • Options
    SNP to ask for full report in Motion to the House.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,922
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

What a bizarre comment

Lenin?
    Stalin maybe
    Vaclav Havel
    Gandhi
    Ho Chi Minh
    Aung Sun Sue Khi
    Nehru
    Oh, that's much more like it! With that post you are competing with HYUFD for the Unembarrassed Boris Apologist Award, also known as the Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf Award for Most Comical & Absurd Defence
    There is more an issue of why these persons went to prison. Herr Hitler, for instance, did not go to prison for his government of the Third Reich. He went to prison for trying to overthrow the Weimar Republic (or the Bavarian Land - I'ma bit hazy on that detail at present, but you get the idea). And Mr Mandela did not go to prison for his implementation of the apartheid policy of the RSA Government at the time.
    Mandela went to prison for TERRORISM

Say what you like about Boris, and I admit he is not a saint, he didn’t anything as bad at MADIBA
  • Options

Johnson is shouting utter waffle across the house.

Looks like a man who knows he’s in trouble

Still don't think there will be 54 letters.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,441
    tlg86 said:

Woah! Not sure I’d be bringing up Jimmy Savile.

A big mistake by Johnson to bring Savile into it ...
  • Options
    Wow. He is finished. misjudged that, hardly apologised and the coup de grace from May
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,979
    Johnson has totally fecked up the tone in his reply

All that rubbish about Jimmy Saville as well
  • Options
    Blackford poor today
  • Options
    Stocky said:

jonny83 said:

Yeah but they wouldn't have happened in normal times
    lol that's also probably true
  • Options
    DRAG HIM, THERESA
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,727
    Jimmy Savile? What has that got to do with the price of fish?

What a desperate and pathetic response. Embarrassingly barrel-scraping nonsense.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    How do you make Blackford stop?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,673
    It's not that difficult to construct a full-blown character assassination of the Prime Minister and deliver it in five minutes flat.

But Starmer did it very well.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,903
    Theresa May excoriating
    Gray shows No10 didn't observe rules it imposed. "Either [he] hasn't read the rules, or understood the rules or didn't think the rules applied to No 10? Which is it"
    PM gives her short shrift, full denial mode in tone cld well further incense some MPs

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1488178450888372224?s=20&t=nQZNfBgj7Fd6QKC6qfr2UA
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,569
    Blackford is going to be banned!
  • Options
    May and Blackford great stuff.

What did SKS say i have forgot already

Blackford to be thrown out
  • Options
    Blackford gets a red.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    IshmaelZ said:

House sounds angry af

The politically impotent often are angry. The weird thing is they are impotent by choice.
  • Options
    Blackford trying to be thrown out.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,743
    DearPB said:

How do you make Blackford stop?

Turn the volume off - that's what I do.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Blackford being a tit.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,562
    Blackford going for it. Fair play - I think 99% of the public agree - he has misled the house.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

Blackford gets a red.

Should Starmer have gone for it? Would get attention!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Blackford gets a red.

No he didn't.
  • Options
    You Boris Johnson is in a bad place when Ian Blackford has the moral high ground.
  • Options
    What a circus/
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Telegraph Politics
    @TelePolitics
    Red circle Alcohol-filled luggage was not just a feature of Boris Johnson’s Downing Street, The Telegraph can reveal.

It was also seen in the days of both David Cameron and Theresa May Downwards arrow
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/30/partygate-suitcase-wine-dates-back-days-david-cameron-theresa/
    https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1487880596047208457
This discussion has been closed.