Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB could be taking a big risk with ads like this – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

4!

A poor choice. It's a surprisingly unimportant number.
    The smallest even non-prime?
    That's a really odd stat.
    Quite the opposite…
    Clearly you don't even appreciate the subtlety of my puns :smile:
    Your puns are appreciated by all I'm sure, but I'm not confident the subtlety is the reason.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Wow, massive drop in England case numbers. That's monster.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    189 is currently looking about 80 runs light of where SA needed it to be.

*crosses fingers that my legendary Nostradamus skills are still intact*
  • Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

4!

Also the first non-negative, non-zero integer which isn't equal to its own square.
    Isn’t that two? Or am I missing something?

Remember, I’m a Physics teacher: number theory and groups only start to be useful in some of the wilder shores of particle physics that I didn’t fully understand when I was studying them.
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

4!

Quite the opposite…
    Your puns are appreciated by all I'm sure, but I'm not confident the subtlety is the reason.
    My puns are as subtle and understated as those of TSE..actually, I see your point.

And phew, I've still got it.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

4!

Oh it has hundreds of claims to fame. The most interesting being about polynomial solutions (why?). However it feels to me that there should be more.

The smallest non-prime btw.
    I was unsure of the status of one: I know it is not a prime number, but does that make it a non-prime?
    One and zero are non-prime. Probably something odd about the definition of 'prime' that such things need to be said though.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,722
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

The only way is down for cases now, the last virgin territory for Covid is gone and the fall is accelerating.

let us hope that hospitalisations and deaths also drop. Case numbers don't matter - so we're told - as long as the other two metrics are down.
    What's the sweet spot of just enough people getting ill/dying to keep Boris in trouble, but not enough to make his haters feel like they're wishing bad on people?
    Gosh, you are so very protective of your "Boris". Who would you support if he was playing Arsenal?
    There there. Sorry to have touched a nerve by calling Sir Keir, "Sir Keir"
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,754
    ydoethur said:

I am blaming you for Buttler.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

4!

Quite the opposite…
    It’s true that when you are hit on the head by a mallet, the subtlety of the blow is rarely your first observation.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

4!

Quite the opposite…
    “Subtlety” and “pun” are two words that can only share a sentence if accompanied by “not” or one of its synonyms.
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

I am blaming you for Buttler.
    If it means the Saffers go through ahead of the cheating convicts, I will live with that.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840

isam said:

maaarsh said:

The only way is down for cases now, the last virgin territory for Covid is gone and the fall is accelerating.

let us hope that hospitalisations and deaths also drop. Case numbers don't matter - so we're told - as long as the other two metrics are down.
    What's the sweet spot of just enough people getting ill/dying to keep Boris in trouble, but not enough to make his haters feel like they're wishing bad on people?
    You really are a piece of work. Nobody thinks that.
    Don't be too harsh. He just has the biggest mancrush on "Boris". It's rather sweet.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

I've got a few grand down on a Labour poll lead..

That's funny, so did Correcthorsebattery.

But no betting market existed before today.
    Considering how CHB was on here yesterday saying how "down" he was feeling and hoping for a Labour lead to cheer him up, sticking the boot in really helps- not.

There was an earlier Smarkets market for a Labour lead bet so ease off!
    That is really desperate if you think a labour lead would cheer you up
    A Labour lead in Scotland would certainly cheer me up

The end of Johnson and Nippy would be cause for celebration. Much less concerned about the Labour lead, than seeing the back of Boris the Clown and Wee Jimmy Krankie. That would be such a bonus.
    I agree but there is not even a remote chance labour will come back in Scotland till they support independence. Sarwar will not do it as he is crap , but a change of leader and supporting independence could make a huge difference
  • Not a good advert. Labour needs to tie this to other examples of corruption, not present Paterson as a one-off, whose details few voters understood, and on whom Boris reversed course anyway.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

Considering how CHB was on here yesterday saying how "down" he was feeling and hoping for a Labour lead to cheer him up, sticking the boot in really helps- not.

The end of Johnson and Nippy would be cause for celebration. Much less concerned about the Labour lead, than seeing the back of Boris the Clown and Wee Jimmy Krankie. That would be such a bonus.
    I agree but there is not even a remote chance labour will come back in Scotland till they support independence. Sarwar will not do it as he is crap , but a change of leader and supporting independence could make a huge difference
    Supporting independence gives Labour a short term gain and then leaves them trying to win an election with a 50 - 60 seat deficit needing to be made up.

It’s an utterly insane idea so labour will never do it.
  • Alistair said:

Shouldn't really need saying, but a Western European country seeing 25% case falls day after day would normally find iSAGE lavishing endless praise on it, whereas we all know there will be radio silence here

https://twitter.com/RufusSG
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

I see John Major's sticking the boot in on sleaze.

Two words: Edwina Currie! ;)

Hello Gin, I never knew he had kept his boots on, how ungallant.
    Afternoon Malky. Quite blowy here still. It does depend where they were ...
    Been blowy here all day, at least rain is gone for now.
    PS: good afternoon
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Don't be too harsh. He just has the biggest mancrush on "Boris". It's rather sweet.
    Patronisation - Stage Three of the Seven stages of being stung by losing an internet ding dong has been reached
  • I have just watched the advert and my conclusion is many will respond

He has resigned as an MP Angela

Has Claudia Webb, and how about the £249 you falsely claimed for Air pods Angela

Indeed. £107m contracts handed without tender to donors is exactly the same as £249 for Air Pods.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Here comes the collapse…

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Stop avoiding the question!
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

Supporting independence gives Labour a short term gain and then leaves them trying to win an election with a 50 - 60 seat deficit needing to be made up.

How can you say that with a straight face after they elected Corbyn twice?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

I have just watched the advert and my conclusion is many will respond

Has Claudia Webb, and how about the £249 you falsely claimed for Air pods Angela

Indeed. £107m contracts handed without tender to donors is exactly the same as £249 for Air Pods.
    Had Labour been in power, do you think they would have put market competition before getting supplies ASAP?
    Sandpit said:

Here comes the collapse…

We need another 27.

Then I don't care what happens.
    I am getting bored of Bairstow constantly reviewing stonewall LBWs. That was not even close.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Alistair said:

Cases in England

Last Saturday: 36,204
    Today: 26,250

Drop of 9,946 cases or 27.27%

Caveats: one days data and all that, but still startling.
  • Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

4!

Oh it has hundreds of claims to fame. The most interesting being about polynomial solutions (why?). However it feels to me that there should be more.

I was unsure of the status of one: I know it is not a prime number, but does that make it a non-prime?
    One and zero are non-prime. Probably something odd about the definition of 'prime' that such things need to be said though.
    All the theorems about integers being uniquely expressible as the product of a group of primes, each raised to an integer power, don’t work if one counts as a prime. That may be why it isn’t counted as such.
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

It makes sense if there is a real Scottish Labour rather than the current lickspittle regional party.
    DavidL said:

I am getting bored of Bairstow constantly reviewing stonewall LBWs. That was not even close.

Well, if Yorkshire go bust you won't have to as he won't be eligible for selection for England.

Nor will Root, for the matter of that.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Claudia Webb is currently an Independent and the Labour Party or any other party for that matter has no direct influence on whether she chooses to resign or stay.

Demanding Rayner's resignation because Paterson resigned may be a fair point. But you should also be demanding Matt Hancock and several other MPs from the Labour and Conservative Parties fall on their swords too for over indulging in Apple products at the taxpayers expense.

It suits me if Rayner is defenestrated for her ear buds. It would make it much easier to throw Johnson to the dogs over Carrie's wallpaper...or doesn't that count?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    Alistair said:

Plan b now. PLAN B NOW!!!!!

(Am I doing this right?)

Claudia Webb is currently an Independent and the Labour Party or any other party for that matter has no direct influence on whether she chooses to resign or stay.

Demanding Rayner's resignation because Paterson resigned may be a fair point. But you should also be demanding Matt Hancock and several other MPs from the Labour and Conservative Parties fall on their swords too for over indulging in Apple products at the taxpayers expense.

It suits me if Rayner is defenestrated for her ear buds. It would make it much easier to throw Johnson to the dogs over Carrie's wallpaper...or doesn't that count?

I was only pointing out the hypocrisy
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Gosh, you are so very protective of your "Boris". Who would you support if he was playing Arsenal?
    Yep, anybody disses your Boris and you get right on their case, don't you, touching their nerves and stuff.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Alistair said:

Shouldn't really need saying, but a Western European country seeing 25% case falls day after day would normally find iSAGE lavishing endless praise on it, whereas we all know there will be radio silence here

https://twitter.com/RufusSG
    Hopefully their press officer has deleted all the pre-drafted releases crediting this drop to the Plan B they nearly got.
    Do we get a draw for the semi-finals, or is it 1st v 2nd across the two groups?

Paterson has paid with his job, Rayner tries to take the moral high while having been found out herself

Can you not see the hypocrisy
    BigRich said:

Alistair said:

Cases in England

And another 300k+ boosters. That is really flying now.

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

4!

All the theorems about integers being uniquely expressible as the product of a group of primes, each raised to an integer power, don’t work if one counts as a prime. That may be why it isn’t counted as such.
    I know, but it feels a little ugly. Beauty is all over maths.
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Yep, anybody disses your Boris and you get right on their case, don't you, touching their nerves and stuff.
    Disses - Oh to be back in the 90s
    I find the idea that the only solution for Scottish labour is to fundamentally switch position on a central issue rather depressing. It's not like adjusting your tax policy, for all there are still Sindy backers in their ranks.
    Sandpit said:

The latter:

https://www.timesofsports.com/cricket/t20i-world-cup/2021-rules/
    How on earth did Malan ever get a #1 batting ranking in T20? I wouldn't even have him in the side.
  • HolesBayViewHolesBayView Posts: 81
    edited November 2021

During (effectively) a state of emergency demanded by Labour...
    edited November 2021

Paterson has paid with his job, Rayner tries to take the moral high while having been found out herself

Paterson, on his own terms, has not paid with his job. He's chosen to quit to avoid the potential of facing consequences, but maintains total innocence.

Theres no hypocrisy re Webbe. Labour have no power to make her resign but have expelled her.
    DavidL said:

BigRich said:

Alistair said:

Cases in England

And another 300k+ boosters. That is really flying now.
    As of Monday we'll be on 10m - if they're as effective as claimed and targetted at the vulnerable groups, we're going to see hospitalisations falling even quicker than cases any minute now.
    DavidL said:

How on earth did Malan ever get a #1 batting ranking in T20? I wouldn't even have him in the side.

There are so few matches the ranking relies on very old data. He had a freak statistical patch in his first 15 games for England and now it'll take the ranking system 2 years to correct itself. The real disgrace is the selectors taking just as long.
  • Sandpit said:

Here comes the collapse…

... in covid cases?
  • JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    kle4 said:

I find the idea that the only solution for Scottish labour is to fundamentally switch position on a central issue rather depressing. It's not like adjusting your tax policy, for all there are still Sindy backers in their ranks.

Anas was soft as fuck about the indyref2 debate during the Holyrood election debate. I can picture them going for it...
    DavidL said:

He got it by playing really well consistently. Seems to have lost his mojo in a big way.
    kle4 said:

It could make the Tories the largest party in Scotland. It would certainly sink Labour's chances of even minority government disappear in a puff of smoke.
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Patronisation - Stage Three of the Seven stages of being stung by losing an internet ding dong has been reached
    Patronisation? I'd never do that. Talking down is anathema to me. It's a jolly big word though - so hats off.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Anas was soft as fuck about the indyref2 debate during the Holyrood election debate. I can picture them going for it...
    Can only be good from a Conservative and Unionist point of view.

kle4 said:

For many many it would not b ea switch on a central issue, majority are now voting SNP now.
    geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Not if you're a Scot.
  • tlg86 said:

Had Labour been in power, do you think they would have put market competition before getting supplies ASAP?
    whatabout...whatabout...

The thing is, Labour aren't in power, the tories are. They are the ones who can play fast and loose with the countries money, not Labour. I'm pretty sure if labour had been in power, though, the contracts would not have gone to Tory donors and other second hand car salesmen types. (apologies to 2nd hand car salemen there).
    JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Not if you're a Scot.
    But I am.

The problem is that there are such things as “donors” in the fist place.

It would be great if a system could be devised that got rid of them, but how to do that without political parties voting for how much money to give themselves or just outright banning all political advertising and expecting politicians to fund the administration their parties from their own personal funds, I don’t know.

Anybody got any suggestions?
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

I thought patronisation was a euphemism used by MPs for being in someones pocket. I'm bought and sold by X? No, they are just my patron.
  • ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    2h
    Tree of the Day the one where Philip Gould and I used to sit on holiday in France and obsess about the
    @UKLabour conference. [Hard] to believe it is ten years to the day that he died. Missed more than ever

===

Gould's contribution to the Blair/Brown documentary series would have been interesting.

Joyous & civic:

Three things.

1. Scotland is Priti Patel's country as well.
    2. Comparing her to one of the architects of the holocaust is revolting.
    3. Priti is an ethnic minority woman and the daughter of refugees expelled from Uganda.

https://twitter.com/Anguscurran/status/1456907086349078529?s=20

Your first one is total bollocks
    geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Not if you're a Scot.
    But I am.

A True Scot?
    JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Not if you're a Scot.
    But I am.

A True Scot?
    Are you Antony Flew?

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Now EYE seem to have touched a nerve and you're stuck thinking up replies. :smile:

You should leave it out, mate, I'm not worth it.
    malcolmg said:

Joyous & civic:

Three things.

3. Priti is an ethnic minority woman and the daughter of refugees expelled from Uganda.

It's part of her country in a legal sense. That's just a fact even if it changes in future as a majority do not want that.

I dont know why that's even a point of contention - currently the UK exists so people are citizens of the UK, even if that might change in future.

I was only pointing out the hypocrisy
    It's barely hypocrisy, just politics. Labour quite rightly got a spanking for the expenses scandal and Cameron justifiably made hay despite Sir Peter Viggar's duckhouse.

Take the rough with the smooth. Angela or Matt's more basic earbuds are one thing, the inventory of Johnson's freebies are another. Talking of Matt, I wonder how the medical- PPE start-ups are going?
    geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Not if you're a Scot.
    But I am.

A True Scot?
    Are you Antony Flew?

Careful, you don't want a cease and deist order.

(Now there's a *really* subtle pun...)
    malcolmg said:

Joyous & civic:

Three things.

Nonsense. She is as entitled to plant her foot in Scotland as you are.
    geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Not if you're a Scot.
    But I am.

A True Scot?
    Are you Antony Flew?

I had too check with wiki - but yes that was the reference I was referring to.

True Scots voted No in 2014
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

The latter:

https://www.timesofsports.com/cricket/t20i-world-cup/2021-rules/
    Diolch yn fawr!
    If my maths is correct, England have just qualified for the SF.

I don't like Rayner, but no, I can't.
    Come on. Twenty more runs...
  • ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Not if you're a Scot.
    But I am.

A True Scot?
    Are you Antony Flew?

There is always an xkcd:

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    malcolmg said:

Joyous & civic:

Three things.

So is the third. Her parents left, seeing the writing on the wall.

And the first target has been achieved.in Sharjah!

malcolmg said:

Joyous & civic:

Three things.

The Aussies have all been arrested for cheating?
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Cue England batting collapse?
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Now EYE seem to have touched a nerve and you're stuck thinking up replies. :smile:

Don't undersell yourself Kinabalu. Of course you are worth it!
    The mighty Mo has a couple of mighty mows!

(If he's out next ball we're still on course.)
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Joyous & civic:

Three things.

You can’t have all you wish for in life.
    England qualify for the semis. Scored 100 now, too!

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Dodgy old Mr K. Worth it... the jury must be out!
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

geoffw said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Not if you're a Scot.
    But I am.

A True Scot?
    Are you Antony Flew?

More like seize the dayist, at least latterly.

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

Rayner's actions were not the frugal, careful with the taxpayers behaviour that I'd prefer to see, but it doesn't compare to selling yourself as an MP to the highest bidder.

I see that Big_G's outrage at the behaviour of Paterson didn't last long, and he's now moved on to consoling himself with imagining that Labour are just as bad. That sort of false equivalence is one of the things that allows corruption to flourish.
    Like to see Livingston get a bit of a bat. We may need his power hitting later, especially without Roy.
    edited November 2021

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Joyous & civic:

Three things.

You can’t have all you wish for in life.
    England qualify for the semis. Scored 100 now, too!
    They almost certainly will knock SA out from here unless they do something crazy like declare.

But in a way, the Aussies getting through due to England's bounty and then being thrashed by Pakistan would if anything be more satisfying.

Edit - fecking hell. That six was Bigger than Trump's ego. Actually out of the ground...
    Someone in Sharjah is waving a WBA flag
    DavidL said:

Like to see Livingston get a bit of a bat. We may need his power hitting later, especially without Roy.

And you may be about to get your wish.

Rayner's actions were not the frugal, careful with the taxpayers behaviour that I'd prefer to see, but it doesn't compare to selling yourself as an MP to the highest bidder.

I see that Big_G's outrage at the behaviour of Paterson didn't last long, and he's now moved on to consoling himself with imagining that Labour are just as bad. That sort of false equivalence is one of the things that allows corruption to flourish.
    Yeah - they're all Pretty Straight Guys at Labour.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Have China overplayed their hand on Taiwan ?

https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=318319
    …China will hold those who support "Taiwan independence" criminally liable for life, it said on Friday, provoking anger and ridicule from the democratic island at a time of heightened tension across the sensitive Taiwan Strait.
    For the first time China was spelling out the punishment that awaits people deemed to back independence for Taiwan, top officials of the self-ruled island among them, as tension rises over what China regards as a province of its own…

Their historical claim to the territory is exceedingly thin, and the only two ways they can get the territory are by invasion, or with the acquiescence of the population.
    Such belligerent threats to criminalise half the population surely render the latter impossible. And I suspect make the US and its allies more likely to defend the island.
    There goes Ali, good innings.

130/9, to get the conspiracies going down under?
    DavidL said:

And I get my wish.

Not guilty!
    http://sonorouschocolate.com/covid19/index.php?title=CasesByAge

This chart corrects for reporting delays, so the aggressive declines at the end are the real trend. Extremely promising.
    Sandpit said:

Not guilty!
    You still got the old Aber Town flag? If so, you're hiding it well.
    Sandpit said:

Not guilty!
    Are you actually there?
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Dodgy old Mr K. Worth it... the jury must be out!
    He's a diamond!
    Malan all at sea against Nortje.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    JBriskin3 said:

If you refuse to distinguish between bad and worse then you let the worse off the hook, and you can make a distinction without excusing the bad.

Labour are of course worse - much worse. Paterson illustrates an uncomfortable situation though with MPs getting paid by commercial interests.

JBriskin3 said:

If you refuse to distinguish between bad and worse then you let the worse off the hook, and you can make a distinction without excusing the bad.
    Just how worst was Blair when he accepted a 1M quid donation from Bernie?
This discussion has been closed.