Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB could be taking a big risk with ads like this – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    The new Opinium poll would give the Conservatives 314 seats on the new boundaries, 12 short of a majority.
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=37&LAB=36&LIB=9&Reform=2&Green=7&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=22.3&SCOTLAB=18.3&SCOTLIB=6.3&SCOTReform=0.7&SCOTGreen=0.7&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48.3&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase

However Boris could stay PM with DUP and NI Unionist support. Hence Boris and Frost are now considering Article 16 to appease Sir Jeffrey Donaldson as the DUP could again be Kingmakers as they were in 2017

Boris still narrowly preferred PM on 28% to 26% for Starmer

You’d think politicians who make a feature of their Protestant Christian faith would find supporting a serial liar and adulterer who was currently a Roman Catholic‘difficult’!
    As long as he invokes Article 16 they will support him, Starmer is an atheist not a Protestant either, even if he respects faith (and Boris was C of E for a number of years).

Religious people? Hypocrites? Say it aint so!
    No, simply this will be the first general election we have ever had in which neither of the main party leaders was Anglican or even Protestant.

Boris is Roman Catholic, Starmer is an atheist. Though I believe Davey is C of E, having been on record as stating he is Christian and occasionally attending his local Anglican church

https://hsld.org.uk/en/article/2019/1314901/ed-s-response-to-our-questions
    Why is being Anglican so important to you? I realise you are, but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me.
    Someone can't be a Tory unless they think the Queen is God's Anglican representative on earth remember
    ... which rules out Boris
    When has Boris ever said he does not think the monarch should be Head of the Church of England?
    Jesus Christ is the Head of any Christian church
    Not on earth. The Pope is head of the Roman Catholic church on earth, the UK Monarch the head of the Church of England on earth, God and Jesus Christ are more like the Spiritual Heads
    Where does the Moderator of the General Assembly fit in?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    The new Opinium poll would give the Conservatives 314 seats on the new boundaries, 12 short of a majority.
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=37&LAB=36&LIB=9&Reform=2&Green=7&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=22.3&SCOTLAB=18.3&SCOTLIB=6.3&SCOTReform=0.7&SCOTGreen=0.7&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48.3&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase

However Boris could stay PM with DUP and NI Unionist support. Hence Boris and Frost are now considering Article 16 to appease Sir Jeffrey Donaldson as the DUP could again be Kingmakers as they were in 2017

You’d think politicians who make a feature of their Protestant Christian faith would find supporting a serial liar and adulterer who was currently a Roman Catholic‘difficult’!
    As long as he invokes Article 16 they will support him, Starmer is an atheist not a Protestant either, even if he respects faith (and Boris was C of E for a number of years).

Neither Bozza nor Starmo believe in god - both men are avowed atheists in real life. Possibly the first time both the PM and the Loto have been godless.
    Wrong, Boris is Roman Catholic, he was married at Westminster Cathedral and as Leon has stated has faith.

At most he is a Roman Catholic occasional agnostic, he is certainly not atheist like Starmer is
    Where he got married is irrelevant. He doesn’t believe in god!
    Boris has made the radio-in-the-Chilterns analogy several times, and been quoted on it by David Cameron, amongst others (who said "my faith is the same"). It is an excellent comparison. I know exactly what he means

My faith comes and goes in strength, just like a radio station at the edge of its signal. Mine never entirely disappears but quite often it is reduced to a fuzz of static when all you can hear is every 20th word and the odd snatch of garbled music

At other times Mahler's 5th sings out, radiant and clear, and all is well with the world, and in heaven

I'd have Boris as a "sometimes lapsed believer". That is definitely not an "avowed atheist".
    The radio analogy strikes me as an entirely normal attitude. Most people aren't unwavering in their faith (or atheism).
    Indeed. Just as I find atheism a pretty dim position to take, I am also skeptical of people who are 100% believers all of the time. It is human to doubt, and to haver, and to wonder. Jesus doubted, did he not? That was his humanity speaking, not his divinity

Complete and total believers are the type that become suicide bombers, given the right unfortunate circumstances
    Do you read your star sign, just in case?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Neither Bozza nor Starmo believe in god - both men are avowed atheists in real life. Possibly the first time both the PM and the Loto have been godless.
    Wrong, Boris is Roman Catholic, he was married at Westminster Cathedral and as Leon has stated has faith.

At most he is a Roman Catholic occasional agnostic, he is certainly not atheist like Starmer is
    Just cos you get married in a church does not make you religious. I know many people who have done so just for the celebration of the event and who are atheist. Same re christenings.
    Some may do, that is their business however as Leon has confirmed in the link he provided Boris is on record as saying he has faith and is therefore not a confirmed atheist.

Faith that comes and goes like an AM radio signal? I’m not sure you grasp the meaning of the word ‘faith’.
    So not a confirmed atheist then.

A confirmed atheist must believe there is no God at all times. As I said at most Boris is a Roman Catholic occasional agnostic, he is not an atheist like Starmer is
    Do you never get the impression that he’s bullshitting you?
    Not least because Mr J is now de facto i/c the C of E. Henry VIII would not approve.
    Not really. The PM's only official role was in appointing Bishops - which was always dubious (see YPM) and got effectively removed by Blair IIRC.
    Even so, the formal position exists for HMtQ who is only a figurehead for Mr J. And with bishops of the C of E in the HoL the C of E is hopelessly compromised by the Erastian principles of the Henrician settlement.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

No, simply this will be the first general election we have ever had in which neither of the main party leaders was Anglican or even Protestant.

Boris is Roman Catholic, Starmer is an atheist. Though I believe Davey is C of E, having been on record as stating he is Christian and occasionally attending his local Anglican church

Why is being Anglican so important to you? I realise you are, but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me.
    Someone can't be a Tory unless they think the Queen is God's Anglican representative on earth remember
    When has Boris ever said he does not think the monarch should be Head of the Church of England?
    Not on earth. The Pope is head of the Roman Catholic church on earth, the UK Monarch the head of the Church of England on earth, God and Jesus Christ are more like the Spiritual Heads
    HYUFD doesn't care.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Just cos you get married in a church does not make you religious. I know many people who have done so just for the celebration of the event and who are atheist. Same re christenings.
    Some may do, that is their business however as Leon has confirmed in the link he provided Boris is on record as saying he has faith and is therefore not a confirmed atheist.

Faith that comes and goes like an AM radio signal? I’m not sure you grasp the meaning of the word ‘faith’.

A confirmed atheist must believe there is no God at all times. As I said at most Boris is a Roman Catholic occasional agnostic, he is not an atheist like Starmer is
    Not least because Mr J is now de facto i/c the C of E. Henry VIII would not approve.
    No, the Queen is still Head of the C of E, Boris merely her chief minister.

I said de facto.
    Not even de facto, Raab as Lord Chancellor now sends names of new Church of England bishops to the Queen
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Not really. The PM's only official role was in appointing Bishops - which was always dubious (see YPM) and got effectively removed by Blair IIRC.
    Even so, the formal position exists for HMtQ who is only a figurehead for Mr J. And with bishops of the C of E in the HoL the C of E is hopelessly compromised by the Erastian principles of the Henrician settlement.
    The Scottish settlement of course Knox that kind of thing out.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Anglican are simply non-believing conformists for whom actually thinking about it is too much like hard work
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

I'm a confirmed Catholic. But definitely an atheist.

My confirmation name is Peter, btw.
    I thought Catholicism was a club for middle class couples to get their kids into good schools?
    Bizarrely so.
    When I was a kid it was the Irish immigrants and their descendants in the roughest schools around.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    If Jesus is so good, how come he couldn't even score against United today?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

I am confirmed into the Church of England, was an altar server and assisted the Bishop of Durham at a confirmation service

I do not recognise anyone other than my spiritual God

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Could you draw us a pyramid-like, labelled diagram so that we can all be absolutely clear about who goes where?

I'd quite like to know my place in the hierarchy; though I know I'm well down the pecking order.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Barring some incredible and hideous new variant, Britain has beaten this fucking bug, Deus Vult and calloo callay

Every time someone says something like this it bites them, or us, on the arse.

A little more caution and circumspection required.

It looks as if it 'may' be heading in the right direction for now in this country but there's a long way still to go and winter is coming.
    I know what you mean - I have said it myself, indeed I made it a Rule of Covid, early on - but can't we be allowed one Saturday night of hope? It is a calm clear mild autumn evening. Camden is rocking with people, maskless and happy, drinking and eating, kissing and carousing

You're such a Metropolitan!

• Options

dr_spyn said:

Farke off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59194369

Sacked after first win.

I'm hoping for Eddie Howe. I think he's the right man for us.
    Good choice.

As I mentioned earlier Mad Mick, Big Sam and Stevie B. are all available. OGS could be an outside bet.
    If we appoint Mick I will throw up.

Big Sam I do not like either. Steve Bruce would be unlikely, but I don't hate it.

I expect it to be Howe or someone from outside the top leagues, perhaps German again.
    Who do you support? Howe is going to Newcastle.
    Howe hasn't signed... yet...

The timing of Farke's departure suggests the Board already have their man (well - a woman would certainly be a shock).

Don't necessarily expect to know them. I don't think we should get on the PL merry-go-round and McCarthy turned Ipswich from a PL contender to a relegation contender. Webber's influence probably means someone he feels he can work with.
    He is waiting for the Old Trafford job !!!!!
    We're getting Eddie Hoy apparently:

https://twitter.com/Alwaleed_Saudi/status/1457056705305513984
    He'll just throw matches.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847

The timing of Farke's departure suggests the Board already have their man (well - a woman would certainly be a shock).

Don't necessarily expect to know them. I don't think we should get on the PL merry-go-round and McCarthy turned Ipswich from a PL contender to a relegation contender. Webber's influence probably means someone he feels he can work with.

Apparently, the decision was taken earlier in the week before today's match. I'll be blunt - if Norwich had lost and this had been announced, no one would have said a word apart from to ask why it wasn't done sooner. I think the Chelsea performance was the final straw.

Yet they've won today and the Board and Stuart Webber end up looking foolish and Daniel Farke looks heroic and dignified.

As to a replacement, they have two weeks (with the international break) so if Webber has someone in mind, he doesn't have to rush but I suspect there is someone. Now, I imagine Guardiola or Klopp would be a bit of a surprise and I can't imagine Chris Hughton would want to come back so we're looking for someone either from League 1 or from Germany again.

• Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

I thought Catholicism was a club for middle class couples to get their kids into good schools?
    I think "On your knees, avoid the fees" is more an Anglican phenomenon- though my impression is that a lot of Church schools are more into disinterested service to the community these days. The admissions rules where you got bonus points for being on the flower rota have largely been scrapped.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

What has the Church of Scotland got to do with Roman Catholicism or the C of E?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

If Bozo is really a Catholic he must have a season ticket for the confessional.
    I bet there are Bishops queueing up to hear it though. Would beat any reality TV show for entertainment value.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Could you draw us a pyramid-like, labelled diagram so that we can all be absolutely clear about who goes where?

I'd quite like to know my place in the hierarchy; though I know I'm well down the pecking order.
    As they can't ever work out what the Trinity means, I doubt they'll manage it with the Church.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    edited November 2021

dr_spyn said:

Farke off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59194369

Sacked after first win.

I'm hoping for Eddie Howe. I think he's the right man for us.
    Good choice.

As I mentioned earlier Mad Mick, Big Sam and Stevie B. are all available. OGS could be an outside bet.
    If we appoint Mick I will throw up.

Big Sam I do not like either. Steve Bruce would be unlikely, but I don't hate it.

I expect it to be Howe or someone from outside the top leagues, perhaps German again.
    Who do you support? Howe is going to Newcastle.

He is waiting for the Old Trafford job !!!!!
    We're getting Eddie Hoy apparently:

https://twitter.com/Alwaleed_Saudi/status/1457056705305513984
    What about Eddie Howe?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

You do know a person faith is between them and their God, not some pigeon hole you put them in

I always remember the late Dave Allen concluded his shows with

'May your God go with you'

Wise words
    Personally I would find it very hard to vote for an atheist for PM but that is my personal view too
    Why am I not the least bit surprised
    I would find it hard to vote for an avowed atheist, as well. Not because I emotionally or religiously abhor atheists, just because it is a stupid belief. How can you possible KNOW there is no design or intelligence behind the universe, or indeed the multiverse. You're a bipedal ape on one planet in one solar system amongst trillions of others. And YOU personally have worked it all out?

Atheism is daft. A kind of juvenile nihilism. It shows a weak mind at work

Skeptical agnosticism is the only sensible belief, if you have no personal faith at all
    Perhaps it's just a bit complicated for you?

The common factor behind almost everything you post on here being that the underlying belief is simple and the underpinning thought is shallow.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

I am confirmed into the Church of England, was an altar server and assisted the Bishop of Durham at a confirmation service

Unless you recognise the Monarch as Head of the C of E and take part in BCP services you cannot be C of E, even if you can still be Christian
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

@Carnyx

I concede your point.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

It's the same sort of thing isn't it?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Boris has made the radio-in-the-Chilterns analogy several times, and been quoted on it by David Cameron, amongst others (who said "my faith is the same"). It is an excellent comparison. I know exactly what he means

My faith comes and goes in strength, just like a radio station at the edge of its signal. Mine never entirely disappears but quite often it is reduced to a fuzz of static when all you can hear is every 20th word and the odd snatch of garbled music

At other times Mahler's 5th sings out, radiant and clear, and all is well with the world, and in heaven

I'd have Boris as a "sometimes lapsed believer". That is definitely not an "avowed atheist".
    The radio analogy strikes me as an entirely normal attitude. Most people aren't unwavering in their faith (or atheism).
    Indeed. Just as I find atheism a pretty dim position to take, I am also skeptical of people who are 100% believers all of the time. It is human to doubt, and to haver, and to wonder. Jesus doubted, did he not? That was his humanity speaking, not his divinity

Complete and total believers are the type that become suicide bombers, given the right unfortunate circumstances
    What about homeopathy?

Magic sugar might work.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    I'm playing Mahler's 5th now. The adagietto. Used in "Death in Venice" - the greatest film music ever made

How can you NOT believe when you listen to this? And if you don't believe, how can you not doubt your doubt?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Not so. Most suicide bombers are pretty damn shaky in terms of religious adherence,
  • Options
    Leon said:

I'm playing Mahler's 5th now. The adagietto. Used in "Death in Venice" - the greatest film music ever made

How can you NOT believe when you listen to this? And if you don't believe, how can you not doubt your doubt?

I think you'll find that the "greatest film music ever made" is the Moana soundtrack.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Unless you recognise the Monarch as Head of the C of E and take part in BCP services you cannot be C of E, even if you can still be Christian
    Wiki on Maude Royden the suufragist and preacher:

'In a 16 July 1917 speech at Queen's Hall, London, she used the oft-quoted phrase 'the Conservative Party at prayer' of the Church of England; "The Church should go forward along the path of progress and be no longer satisfied only to represent the Conservative Party at prayer."'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

You are such an absurdity

I take communion in the Church in Wales and I have always rejected any mortal from my spiritual being
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

What about homeopathy?

Magic sugar might work.
    If you aren't burning a bull's gall bladder in an offering to Asclepius, then you just are asking to catch Covid.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Are you actually unaware that the BCP is not actually authorised for use in Anglican services? Although it may still be used as an alternative.
  • Options
    Probably one thing that prevents many people from ever even considering church is the pettifogging nonsense that keen churchgoers come out with: “my church is better than your church, and the queen is my queen and not your queen”. What a poor advert for religion.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

I take communion in the Church in Wales and I have always rejected any mortal from my spiritual being
    Genuine question: what does the "Head of the Church of England" actually mean, spiritually anyway? Surely God is God.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168

Having been accused of spreading falsehoods on the last thread, I'd like to find out how bad my falsehoods are.

Does anybody know how many gas power plants get turned off because it's windy?

How much gas has not been burnt because of the wind?

I only ever of hear wind's "achievements" as a percentage of total energy produced. Currently, with such pathetic energy storage capacity, this is an irrelevant figure if we're not able to rely on wind enough to switch off the gas power plants.

The only stat that matters, while we don't have the storage, is how much less gas do we burn on a very windy day.

As a relevant aside, I presume our biomass plants can't even theoretically be switched on and off like gas?

You can look at the stats yourself on http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

It's plain as night and day that we burn less gas when the wind blows.

You can see the variation in biomass too. Like coal it's slower to ramp up and ramp down than gas, but it is done.
    It does look like there are about three months in the year when we actually burn less gas because of the wind.

That's better than I expected.
    The wind we have at present is mostly replacing coal that we previously used, not gas. As we add more wind we will be able to reduce the amount of gas burnt.

See, for example, some of the government statistics here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/electricity-chapter-5-digest-of-united-kingdom-energy-statistics-dukes
    From what I can work out from here the contribution from gas seems to be more affected by our overall energy usage than contribution from wind.

I'd love to see the stats on two identical days (of the week, same light, same temperature, same TV sort of stuff (ie no England football or similar), but a still day and a windy day.

How much more gas gets burnt on the still day?
    Well yes, the contribution from gas is more affected by demand because demand varies by a greater absolute magnitude than wind.

Roughly speaking demand varies between 20-45 GW (though doubtless with less frequent excursions below and above those limits).

Broadly speaking wind generation varies from 1-12 GW (I'm trying to estimate 90% confidence intervals).

So the variation in demand is about twice the variation in wind supply.
    Cool.

I'm not arguing against wind power in any way. I just think we should be prioritising storage over everything else green right now.

With sufficient efficient energy and electricity storage unreliable sources like wind and solar overcome the illusory part of their value.
    Once we double our current wind capacity we'llcreate a market for storage, and then we should see the amount of storage increase rapidly. Worrying too much about storage now is to put the cart before the horse.

I'm confident that the necessary development is being done so that there will be storage technology when we need it - and in the meantime it looks like the Irish electricity market is further ahead than ours on providing an opportunity for storage.

There will have to be a lot done on storage (and increasing wind supply) if the Irish are going to hit their ambitious 2030 targets and keep the data centres running.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

You do know a person faith is between them and their God, not some pigeon hole you put them in

Wise words
    Personally I would find it very hard to vote for an atheist for PM but that is my personal view too
    I would find it hard to vote for an avowed atheist, as well. Not because I emotionally or religiously abhor atheists, just because it is a stupid belief.
    I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous comment.

A-theism means non-theistic (the a in front of Greek words meaning that which it is not). To be non theistic is an entirely consistent, intellectual, position to hold from a whole variety of perspectives. There are moral atheists, those who argue from a theodicy perspective that 'God' qua 'God' ceases to exist in the face of evil. The Brothers Karamazov contains a famous exchange on this point. But it also includes those whose hermeneutic is scientific and who would argue that it is not 'belief' at all, let alone 'stupid'. From an empirical perspective it is entirely consistent not to believe in a supreme God.
    And then there’s Richard Dawkins…
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Are you actually unaware that the BCP is not actually authorised for use in Anglican services? Although it may still be used as an alternative.
    BCP is dangerously innovative. Bit dodgy, Henry VIII would have thought.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Authorized or recommended? Surely if it can be used as an alternative it must be authorized.

• Options

Leon said:

I think you'll find that the "greatest film music ever made" is the Moana soundtrack.
    I know everybody on this island
    Seems so happy on this island
    Everything is by design

See. Design. You can't escape God by hiding amongst the coconuts.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Genuine question: what does the "Head of the Church of England" actually mean, spiritually anyway? Surely God is God.
    God is hands off these days, he needs someone to pick up the slack, collect the rents, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Is it that way round? I thought the BCP was still the Definitive Prayer Book for all time, and Common Worship is a permitted alternative until the CofE gets bored again.

And the ASB should be encased in concrete and buried deep underground, and rightly so.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

I have rejected the proposition ever since I was confirmed in 1954 and yes, God is God and nothing to do with the Queen as far as I am concerned
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words
    I would find it hard to vote for an avowed atheist, as well. Not because I emotionally or religiously abhor atheists, just because it is a stupid belief. How can you possible KNOW there is no design or intelligence behind the universe, or indeed the multiverse. You're a bipedal ape on one planet in one solar system amongst trillions of others. And YOU personally have worked it all out?

Skeptical agnosticism is the only sensible belief, if you have no personal faith at all
    I mean that is just bonkers. I equally don't know there aren't fairies at the end of the garden but it isn't stupid to believe they don't exist. In fact the opposite; it is completely sane to believe they don't.

The universe is perfectly explainable without a god. The only thing atheist can't argue against is faith. You just can't argue against faith unfortunately.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

What about homeopathy?

Magic sugar might work.
    If you aren't burning a bull's gall bladder in an offering to Asclepius, then you just are asking to catch Covid.
    There's a 'homeopathic remedy' called Asclepias Tuberosa

"Its action on the chest muscles is most marked and has been verified. Sick headache, with flatulence in stomach and bowels. Dyspepsia. Bronchitis and pleurisy come within its range. Catarrhal states from cold and damp weather. Irritation of larynx with huskiness; grip, with pleuritic pain."

Which is pretty clear.
  • Options

Great craic on PB tonight I must admit.

I am enjoying this immensely.
    I'm currently wondering what happens if I listen to Mahler backwards. It's GOT to be worth a try.
  • Options

Leon said:

I'd have Oliver! as a close 2nd after Mahler

Moana was good, mind. A somewhat neglected minor masterpiece of the genre. It came out right in the middle of the Golden Age of New Animation when almost every new "cartoon" was kinda genius

Think about Inside Out. One of the greatest movies ever made, I reckon. Not just animated movies. Movies. Now almost forgotten

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_out_2015
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I'm currently wondering what happens if I listen to Mahler backwards. It's GOT to be worth a try.
    Relham.

That's what happens.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Authorized or recommended? Surely if it can be used as an alternative it must be authorized.

The situation is that one service on any given day must be from Common Worship, which superseded the BCP, the RBCP and the ASB 1980 in 2000.

However, once that requirement has been satisfied any other service can follow any pattern, which may be the BCP.

This is made easier by the fact that the rite for Matins and Evensong in the BCP, which is the main service in say, most cathedrals is virtually indistinguishable from versions available in Common Worship. The differences for Holy Communion are much more significant, especially the placing of the Gloria (BCP it's at the end, CW it comes near the start).

Most Sunday morning services - which for most churches are their main and frequently only service of the week - are very clearly Common Worship. As Hyufd would find if he checked the copyright notice on whatever his church gives out on Sunday mornings.

But, for example, a marriage conducted according to the BCP would not now be lawful. Which is a shame as I much prefer the language of the BCP to that of CW.

I hope that is boring and geeky enough for you. At any rate, it's drained my last reserves of energy and I'm off to bed.

Good night.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168

Having been accused of spreading falsehoods on the last thread, I'd like to find out how bad my falsehoods are.

I only ever of hear wind's "achievements" as a percentage of total energy produced. Currently, with such pathetic energy storage capacity, this is an irrelevant figure if we're not able to rely on wind enough to switch off the gas power plants.

The only stat that matters, while we don't have the storage, is how much less gas do we burn on a very windy day.

As a relevant aside, I presume our biomass plants can't even theoretically be switched on and off like gas?

You can see the variation in biomass too. Like coal it's slower to ramp up and ramp down than gas, but it is done.
    It does look like there are about three months in the year when we actually burn less gas because of the wind.

The wind we have at present is mostly replacing coal that we previously used, not gas. As we add more wind we will be able to reduce the amount of gas burnt.

See, for example, some of the government statistics here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/electricity-chapter-5-digest-of-united-kingdom-energy-statistics-dukes
    Remember that the CCGTs receive Capacity Payments for not generating on windy days. As do the OCGTs and diesel gen sets all year round for doing nothing.

The more renewables we have, the more we have to pay plants to sit there, with the operators sat around watching Netflix.
    Whilst these turbines are "sitting around" not doing anything on windy days, they are saving on the cost of gas and the lack of CO2 going into the atmosphere. Until we solve the problem about energy storage in vast amounts and further exploitation of present and new renewables we will always have to have back-up generators, which has a cost when not being used.
    Instead of spending the money on wind and solar, carbon capture could have been fitted across the CCGT fleet to provide power that is both low carbon and despatchable.

Studies have shown that the more renewables are installed, the higher the cost of providing a fully functioning low carbon power supply. More and more back up generation receiving capacity payments.
    Carbon capture is much talked about but, despite the obvious interest fossil fuel companies would have in making it work, so they could continue to burn fossil fuels, it hasn't happened. It's not going to.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

As Billy Connolly observed it was easier to scrawl “Fuck the pope” on walls than write the words “Fuck the moderator of the general assembly of the church of Scotland”
    Exactly. I've moreover been aware for many years that Scottish journos were always more likely to ring up the then Cardinal or the Episcopalian Bishop of Edinburgh for a rent-a-quote than the MotGAotCoS - undoubtedly because the lazy sods couldn't keep up with who was the current incumbent elected in the year in question.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    There is nothing wrong with the Queen being the figurehead for the Church of England. She has lead an exemplary life.

The Church of Englands break from Rome was a good thing. Its just a pity that recently religious heads have been so sub optimal.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Relham.

That's what happens.
    Uh oh. Sounds a little like Remain to me. Proof that God is a Brexiter. LET MY PEOPLE GO.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The greatest music ever made used memorably in a film surely?
    Personally Rudy Giuliani’s dye streaked temples have somewhat spoiled it for me.
  • Options

There is nothing wrong with the Queen being the figurehead for the Church of England. She has lead an exemplary life.

The Church of Englands break from Rome was a good thing. Its just a pity that recently religious heads have been so sub optimal.

Awks:
    Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.

The sulphurous pit awaits!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

Remember that the CCGTs receive Capacity Payments for not generating on windy days. As do the OCGTs and diesel gen sets all year round for doing nothing.

The more renewables we have, the more we have to pay plants to sit there, with the operators sat around watching Netflix.
    At the moment the UK grid can almost always use all the wind energy that is generated, but as we add more capacity that will cease to be the case and then the excess can be stored. As we generate more excess wind electricity we will store more to be used when the wind isn't blowing, or demand is higher.

In any case, rcs has said before that the capital cost for CCGT plant is relatively low, so we still save a lot of money on not burning the gas even if we have a period where the gas plant is sitting around to be used for an average of a week each year.
    'We' don't save any money. The CCGT operators save money by not running. We still pay the strike price for the leccy, plus the capacity payments on top. Better to pay the strike price to the CCGT with no capacity payments.

This isn't just me making it up, there have been studies by reputable organisations.
  • Options
    Eddie Howe is a great appointment btw.
    Used to working with below standard players, knows the league well.
    Serious that the aim needs to be staying up this season.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Farooq said:

Try it sideways?

Still woozy from my booster so will pack in now. Night all. Even if I am (yet again) astounded by the English way of doing things, with HMtQ delegating authority to Mr J to Mr Raab C. Brexit for the C of E, whose bishops sit in the HoL; and fuck everyone else, especially the atheists.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Try it sideways?

Still woozy from my booster so will pack in now. Night all. Even if I am (yet again) astounded by the English way of doing things, with HMtQ delegating authority to Mr J to Mr Raab C. Brexit for the C of E, whose bishops sit in the HoL; and fuck everyone else, especially the atheists.
    Remember to pray for HYUFD and Leon before you go to sleep.
  • Options
    Come on @Leon

Why is one of the God beliefs more worthy of your respect than belief in astrology?

Or are you equally open minded about the date of your birth being a crucial factor in your character and life experiences?
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 776
    Leon said:

I'd argue the best and most beautiful things in life are even more incredible when you realise they are the result of nothing more than the chaos of the universe, rather than being the actions of some God or another.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

The situation is that one service on any given day must be from Common Worship, which superseded the BCP, the RBCP and the ASB 1980 in 2000.

However, once that requirement has been satisfied any other service can follow any pattern, which may be the BCP.

This is made easier by the fact that the rite for Matins and Evensong in the BCP, which is the main service in say, most cathedrals is virtually indistinguishable from versions available in Common Worship. The differences for Holy Communion are much more significant, especially the placing of the Gloria (BCP it's at the end, CW it comes near the start).

Most Sunday morning services - which for most churches are their main and frequently only service of the week - are very clearly Common Worship. As Hyufd would find if he checked the copyright notice on whatever his church gives out on Sunday mornings.

But, for example, a marriage conducted according to the BCP would not now be lawful. Which is a shame as I much prefer the language of the BCP to that of CW.

I hope that is boring and geeky enough for you. At any rate, it's drained my last reserves of energy and I'm off to bed.

Good night.
    Not boring at all. Even if nobody throws stools any more in church. (The wooden kind, I hasten to add.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Moana was good, mind. A somewhat neglected minor masterpiece of the genre. It came out right in the middle of the Golden Age of New Animation when almost every new "cartoon" was kinda genius

Think about Inside Out. One of the greatest movies ever made, I reckon. Not just animated movies. Movies. Now almost forgotten

Moana's animation is the best I've ever seen. The water, hair and greenery in particular.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Try it sideways?

Remember to pray for HYUFD and Leon before you go to sleep.
    Not sure if they would appreciate it ...
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Good night.
    I thought that there had to be one service of the Book of Common Prayer 1662. Lots of churches fulfil this requirement with the 8 am Holy Communion so that tyey can have Happy Clappy or Common Worship or whatever as the main Sunday Service. THE BCP os fighting back and is being used more and more once people appreciate how wonderful the service is.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    edited November 2021
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Anglican are simply non-believing conformists for whom actually thinking about it is too much like hard work
    I am a Nonconformist, with quite Calvanist tendencies, so not Anglican for a number of reasons. I think though that Anglicism is much broader than that, from unthinking default Christians to Evangelicals to Anglo-Catholics.

It is far too hierarchical for me, as I think Churches need to be bottom up rather than top down, but I can see how that top down hierarchy appeals to Conservatives, both large and small C.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Boris has confirmed he has faith, he has never said he is a confirmed atheist unlike you

Is he confirmed? Does he take holy communion? Does he believe all that transubstantiation malarkey?

If not, he ain't no pukka left-footer.
  • Options

Leon said:

On that subject, went to see Frozen the musical last night. It was bloody brilliant (and the Theatre Royal looks spectacular).
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

What a peculiar and depressing way to run a united Kingdom.

Base your Foreign Policy on a possible NOM c and s permutation, irrespective of the damage it might do at home and abroad. Now that'll work.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Apparently, the decision was taken earlier in the week before today's match. I'll be blunt - if Norwich had lost and this had been announced, no one would have said a word apart from to ask why it wasn't done sooner. I think the Chelsea performance was the final straw.

Yet they've won today and the Board and Stuart Webber end up looking foolish and Daniel Farke looks heroic and dignified.

As to a replacement, they have two weeks (with the international break) so if Webber has someone in mind, he doesn't have to rush but I suspect there is someone. Now, I imagine Guardiola or Klopp would be a bit of a surprise and I can't imagine Chris Hughton would want to come back so we're looking for someone either from League 1 or from Germany again.

Farke surely leaves still in high regard, he just isn't the man for right now

Would you have kept him?
  • Options
    Surprising that - on a supposed betting site - no one has yet mentioned Pascal's Razor?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Moana's animation is the best I've ever seen. The water, hair and greenery in particular.
    Yes, Moana is a fine sometimes brilliant movie

But Inside Out? Wow. Wow wow wow. Absolute genius

"Inside Out is animated cinema's brainstorm of the year, possibly the decade." - Nigel Andrews, Financial Times

"This is a humane and heart-wrenchingly beautiful film; even measured alongside Pixar's numerous great pictures, it stands out as one of the studio's very best." - Daily Telegraph

"As funny, stirring, unpredictable, exciting and riotously beautiful as it is profound." - Wall Street Journal

On and on. 98% rave reviews

How have we forgotten it? I wonder if it is something as basic as a poor, generic title (Inside Out - yawn). We remember "Toy Story" partly because the title is clever, solid, memorable, and an excellent brand
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

News to me, given I attend a BCP C of E service at 8 or 9am every Sunday.

Even Common Worship as you alluded to retains versions of the Eucharist using the structure of the BCP
  • Options

Surprising that - on a supposed betting site - no one has yet mentioned Pascal's Razor?

Not to be confused with Occam's Wager
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words
    Personally I would find it very hard to vote for an atheist for PM but that is my personal view too.

I could just about vote for an agnostic but not a confirmed atheist
    So to get your vote, in the words of George Michael "you gotta have faith"
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"Inside Out is animated cinema's brainstorm of the year, possibly the decade." - Nigel Andrews, Financial Times

"This is a humane and heart-wrenchingly beautiful film; even measured alongside Pixar's numerous great pictures, it stands out as one of the studio's very best." - Daily Telegraph

"As funny, stirring, unpredictable, exciting and riotously beautiful as it is profound." - Wall Street Journal

How have we forgotten it? I wonder if it is something as basic as a poor, generic title (Inside Out - yawn). We remember "Toy Story" partly because the title is clever, solid, memorable, and an excellent brand
    I haven't forgotten it. I'll tear up right now thinking of the scene when Riley comes home.
  • Options
    Only one of blind faith would believe Howe would choose Norwich over Newcastle.

#keepthefaith
  • Options

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Good night.
    I thought that there had to be one service of the Book of Common Prayer 1662. Lots of churches fulfil this requirement with the 8 am Holy Communion so that tyey can have Happy Clappy or Common Worship or whatever as the main Sunday Service. THE BCP os fighting back and is being used more and more once people appreciate how wonderful the service is.
    The Book of Common Prayer, like the King James Bible, is a work of human genius. Largely Tyndale's and Cranmer's?

Later versions are, to put it politely, not quite of this standard
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

I mean that is just bonkers. I equally don't know there aren't fairies at the end of the garden but it isn't stupid to believe they don't exist. In fact the opposite; it is completely sane to believe they don't.

The universe is perfectly explainable without a god. The only thing atheist can't argue against is faith. You just can't argue against faith unfortunately.
    I agree. Once you have experienced the baptism of the Spirit you cannot doubt it, if you have never had that then you fall into arguing about notions without experience. Like being deaf at a musical concert.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

I have rejected the proposition ever since I was confirmed in 1954 and yes, God is God and nothing to do with the Queen as far as I am concerned
    In which case you are Church of Wales then, not C of E
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I haven't forgotten it. I'll tear up right now thinking of the scene when Riley comes home.
    You and me both, mate!

It made me sob like a child. I have never seen a cinema with so many people openly crying
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

I don't think the fundamental nature of reality is explicable. Science has increased our knowledge of reality immensely (always subject to revision) but the really big questions such as: Why is there anything? Does free will exist? What is nature of consciousness? Is the future determined? are open and possibly always will be. A lot of popular atheist arguments are simplistically reductionist assertions or attacks on religious straw men. Mind you I'll always cheer on Dawkins against bible literalists or Islamic fundamentalists!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

It's the same sort of thing isn't it?
    No, it does not have the Queen or Pope as its head and it does not have bishops
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,883
    Exclusive: The Conservative Party has been accused of abusing the honours system by systematically offering seats in the House of Lords to a select group of multi-millionaire donors who pay £3million to the party https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/new-tory-sleaze-row-as-donors-who-pay-3m-get-seats-in-house-of-lords-2575s6jmp?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636224179
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

I agree. Once you have experienced the baptism of the Spirit you cannot doubt it, if you have never had that then you fall into arguing about notions without experience. Like being deaf at a musical concert.
    You will disapprove, but I found God on acid and speed in Regent's Park, aged 22 (and at that point "an avowed atheist", or so I thought)

The faith has never truly left me, in all the years since, even if I have done my best to drown the music in so many ways. At times it has saved my life.

Holiness to the Lord
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Inside Out is a brilliant film - clever, moving and quite avant-garde in places. The last ten or twenty years has seen a phenomenal run of films from Pixar and Disney - Inside Out, Toy Story (3 is the best for me, Christ I am a mess by the end), Wall-E, Up, Cars, Coco, Moana, Tangled and Frozen. The last is probably my favourite - I know it's super schmaltzy, but I just find the story of the estranged siblings so powerful. And that song of course. I can't think of any recent films for grown ups that are as good to be honest.
  • Options

Whilst these turbines are "sitting around" not doing anything on windy days, they are saving on the cost of gas and the lack of CO2 going into the atmosphere. Until we solve the problem about energy storage in vast amounts and further exploitation of present and new renewables we will always have to have back-up generators, which has a cost when not being used.
    Instead of spending the money on wind and solar, carbon capture could have been fitted across the CCGT fleet to provide power that is both low carbon and despatchable.

Studies have shown that the more renewables are installed, the higher the cost of providing a fully functioning low carbon power supply. More and more back up generation receiving capacity payments.
    Carbon capture is much talked about but, despite the obvious interest fossil fuel companies would have in making it work, so they could continue to burn fossil fuels, it hasn't happened. It's not going to.
    Plenty of it in the US, Canada and a few plants elsewhere. Finally coming to the UK by 2026 or thereabouts.
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

I don't think the fundamental nature of reality is explicable. Science has increased our knowledge of reality immensely (always subject to revision) but the really big questions such as: Why is there anything? Does free will exist? What is nature of consciousness? Is the future determined? are open and possibly always will be. A lot of popular atheist arguments are simplistically reductionist assertions or attacks on religious straw men. Mind you I'll always cheer on Dawkins against bible literalists or Islamic fundamentalists!
    Is the future determined?
    No, it isn't. Quantum physics pretty much lays waste to determinism.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    HYUFD said:

Not even de facto, Raab as Lord Chancellor now sends names of new Church of England bishops to the Queen

Because of section 18 othe Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo4/10/7/section/18

It shall not be lawful for any person professing the Roman Catholic religion directly or indirectly to advise his Majesty, or any person or persons holding or exercising the office of guardians of the United Kingdom, or of regent of the United Kingdom, under whatever name, style, or title such office may be constituted, or the lord lieutenant of Ireland, touching or concerning the appointment to or disposal of any office or preferment in the Church of England, or in the Church of Scotland; and if any such person shall offend in the premises he shall, being thereof convicted by due course of law, be deemed guilty of a high misdemeanor, and disabled for ever from holding any office, civil or military, under the Crown.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,883
    Every Conservative Party Treasurer in the last seven years gave the party £3m - and every one was offered a place in the House of Lords.

A cash for access culture at the heart of the British Government brought to you by Boris Johnson’s Conservatives.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/5d48120a-3f25-11ec-b903-910fd4392181?shareToken=185f5c7b3a21e496b4edfc8bfe98e4d2
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Good night.
    The Book of Common Prayer, like the King James Bible, is a work of human genius. Largely Tyndale's and Cranmer's?

I agree, both are deeply embedded in the nature of Englishness. The language is part of us. Its the Theology of it that I cannot take.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Inside Out is a brilliant film - clever, moving and quite avant-garde in places. The last ten or twenty years has seen a phenomenal run of films from Pixar and Disney - Inside Out, Toy Story (3 is the best for me, Christ I am a mess by the end), Wall-E, Up, Cars, Coco, Moana, Tangled and Frozen. The last is probably my favourite - I know it's super schmaltzy, but I just find the story of the estranged siblings so powerful. And that song of course. I can't think of any recent films for grown ups that are as good to be honest.
    Didn't get on with Frozen, but all the rest, yes. Especially Tangled! I love that

I would add Monsters Inc, the Incredibles, and Finding Nemo. And there are surely others I have forgotten

We have been spoiled for 15 years by the most brilliant animated movies EVER
  • Options
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

Because of section 18 othe Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo4/10/7/section/18

It shall not be lawful for any person professing the Roman Catholic religion directly or indirectly to advise his Majesty, or any person or persons holding or exercising the office of guardians of the United Kingdom, or of regent of the United Kingdom, under whatever name, style, or title such office may be constituted, or the lord lieutenant of Ireland, touching or concerning the appointment to or disposal of any office or preferment in the Church of England, or in the Church of Scotland; and if any such person shall offend in the premises he shall, being thereof convicted by due course of law, be deemed guilty of a high misdemeanor, and disabled for ever from holding any office, civil or military, under the Crown.
    Indeed, if Boris as a Roman Catholic advised the Queen about bishops to be appointed in the Church of England, he could lose office as PM forever.

Hence Raab, as an Anglican, albeit with a Jewish father, has to do it instead.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

**** me! It seems I've accidentally tuned into Sky Arts. How very, very woke Guardian liberal of me.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

Good reply.

I didn't mean we could explain it all now, just it is explainable. Just like all the magic from the past that was put down to God that is now easily explained.

Re your list the last one has been dealt with by Laplace sometime ago.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,412

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

'Frozen' embodies everything I hate about a) Disney and b) musicals in general. It is actually quite a good story, but I really, really hate the music. The music is written in the genre of 'musical' - far, far too much emoting, and far too many unnecessary little twiddly bits.

Musicals can be quite good when they're written in other genres. I didn't mind the Frog Princess, for example.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Good night.

I agree, both are deeply embedded in the nature of Englishness. The language is part of us. Its the Theology of it that I cannot take.
    When you read, or hear, or speak, the KJV or the BCP, it does sound like the Voice of God. It has an uncanny power over us.

I've heard that the Koran has the same quality in the original Arabic. Spell-binding in itself, divine in tone, and a part explanation for the incredible, speedy success of Islam
This discussion has been closed.