Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB could be taking a big risk with ads like this – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,987
    Farooq said:

If Jesus is so good, how come he couldn't even score against United today?

Because he’s the goalie.

Jesus Saves.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm playing Mahler's 5th now. The adagietto. Used in "Death in Venice" - the greatest film music ever made

How can you NOT believe when you listen to this? And if you don't believe, how can you not doubt your doubt?

I think you'll find that the "greatest film music ever made" is the Moana soundtrack.
    I'd have Oliver! as a close 2nd after Mahler

Moana was good, mind. A somewhat neglected minor masterpiece of the genre. It came out right in the middle of the Golden Age of New Animation when almost every new "cartoon" was kinda genius

Think about Inside Out. One of the greatest movies ever made, I reckon. Not just animated movies. Movies. Now almost forgotten

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_out_2015
    Moana's animation is the best I've ever seen. The water, hair and greenery in particular.
    Yes, Moana is a fine sometimes brilliant movie

But Inside Out? Wow. Wow wow wow. Absolute genius

"Inside Out is animated cinema's brainstorm of the year, possibly the decade." - Nigel Andrews, Financial Times

"This is a humane and heart-wrenchingly beautiful film; even measured alongside Pixar's numerous great pictures, it stands out as one of the studio's very best." - Daily Telegraph

"As funny, stirring, unpredictable, exciting and riotously beautiful as it is profound." - Wall Street Journal

On and on. 98% rave reviews

How have we forgotten it? I wonder if it is something as basic as a poor, generic title (Inside Out - yawn). We remember "Toy Story" partly because the title is clever, solid, memorable, and an excellent brand
    Inside Out is a brilliant film - clever, moving and quite avant-garde in places. The last ten or twenty years has seen a phenomenal run of films from Pixar and Disney - Inside Out, Toy Story (3 is the best for me, Christ I am a mess by the end), Wall-E, Up, Cars, Coco, Moana, Tangled and Frozen. The last is probably my favourite - I know it's super schmaltzy, but I just find the story of the estranged siblings so powerful. And that song of course. I can't think of any recent films for grown ups that are as good to be honest.
    Didn't get on with Frozen, but all the rest, yes. Especially Tangled! I love that

I would add Monsters Inc, the Incredibles, and Finding Nemo. And there are surely others I have forgotten

We have been spoiled for 15 years by the most brilliant animated movies EVER
    Yes the Incredibles is brilliant.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,688
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    The new Opinium poll would give the Conservatives 314 seats on the new boundaries, 12 short of a majority.
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=37&LAB=36&LIB=9&Reform=2&Green=7&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=22.3&SCOTLAB=18.3&SCOTLIB=6.3&SCOTReform=0.7&SCOTGreen=0.7&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48.3&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase

However Boris could stay PM with DUP and NI Unionist support. Hence Boris and Frost are now considering Article 16 to appease Sir Jeffrey Donaldson as the DUP could again be Kingmakers as they were in 2017

Boris still narrowly preferred PM on 28% to 26% for Starmer

You’d think politicians who make a feature of their Protestant Christian faith would find supporting a serial liar and adulterer who was currently a Roman Catholic‘difficult’!
    As long as he invokes Article 16 they will support him, Starmer is an atheist not a Protestant either, even if he respects faith (and Boris was C of E for a number of years).

Neither Bozza nor Starmo believe in god - both men are avowed atheists in real life. Possibly the first time both the PM and the Loto have been godless.
    Wrong, Boris is Roman Catholic, he was married at Westminster Cathedral and as Leon has stated has faith.

At most he is a Roman Catholic occasional agnostic, he is certainly not atheist like Starmer is
    You do know a person faith is between them and their God, not some pigeon hole you put them in

I always remember the late Dave Allen concluded his shows with

'May your God go with you'

Wise words
    Personally I would find it very hard to vote for an atheist for PM but that is my personal view too
    Why am I not the least bit surprised
    I would find it hard to vote for an avowed atheist, as well. Not because I emotionally or religiously abhor atheists, just because it is a stupid belief. How can you possible KNOW there is no design or intelligence behind the universe, or indeed the multiverse. You're a bipedal ape on one planet in one solar system amongst trillions of others. And YOU personally have worked it all out?

Atheism is daft. A kind of juvenile nihilism. It shows a weak mind at work

Skeptical agnosticism is the only sensible belief, if you have no personal faith at all
    I mean that is just bonkers. I equally don't know there aren't fairies at the end of the garden but it isn't stupid to believe they don't exist. In fact the opposite; it is completely sane to believe they don't.

The universe is perfectly explainable without a god. The only thing atheist can't argue against is faith. You just can't argue against faith unfortunately.
    I agree. Once you have experienced the baptism of the Spirit you cannot doubt it, if you have never had that then you fall into arguing about notions without experience. Like being deaf at a musical concert.
    You will disapprove, but I found God on acid and speed in Regent's Park, aged 22 (and at that point "an avowed atheist", or so I thought)

The faith has never truly left me, in all the years since, even if I have done my best to drown the music in so many ways. At times it has saved my life.

Holiness to the Lord
    That's weird, many, many years ago I had an argument with SeanT here about God and he told me the same story.

By the way in case you don't remember this isn't a wind up; we did.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    The new Opinium poll would give the Conservatives 314 seats on the new boundaries, 12 short of a majority.
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=37&LAB=36&LIB=9&Reform=2&Green=7&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=22.3&SCOTLAB=18.3&SCOTLIB=6.3&SCOTReform=0.7&SCOTGreen=0.7&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48.3&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase

However Boris could stay PM with DUP and NI Unionist support. Hence Boris and Frost are now considering Article 16 to appease Sir Jeffrey Donaldson as the DUP could again be Kingmakers as they were in 2017

You’d think politicians who make a feature of their Protestant Christian faith would find supporting a serial liar and adulterer who was currently a Roman Catholic‘difficult’!
    As long as he invokes Article 16 they will support him, Starmer is an atheist not a Protestant either, even if he respects faith (and Boris was C of E for a number of years).

Neither Bozza nor Starmo believe in god - both men are avowed atheists in real life. Possibly the first time both the PM and the Loto have been godless.
    Wrong, Boris is Roman Catholic, he was married at Westminster Cathedral and as Leon has stated has faith.

At most he is a Roman Catholic occasional agnostic, he is certainly not atheist like Starmer is
    You do know a person faith is between them and their God, not some pigeon hole you put them in

Wise words
    Personally I would find it very hard to vote for an atheist for PM but that is my personal view too
    I would find it hard to vote for an avowed atheist, as well. Not because I emotionally or religiously abhor atheists, just because it is a stupid belief. How can you possible KNOW there is no design or intelligence behind the universe, or indeed the multiverse. You're a bipedal ape on one planet in one solar system amongst trillions of others. And YOU personally have worked it all out?

Skeptical agnosticism is the only sensible belief, if you have no personal faith at all
    I mean that is just bonkers. I equally don't know there aren't fairies at the end of the garden but it isn't stupid to believe they don't exist. In fact the opposite; it is completely sane to believe they don't.

The universe is perfectly explainable without a god. The only thing atheist can't argue against is faith. You just can't argue against faith unfortunately.
    I agree. Once you have experienced the baptism of the Spirit you cannot doubt it, if you have never had that then you fall into arguing about notions without experience. Like being deaf at a musical concert.
    You will disapprove, but I found God on acid and speed in Regent's Park, aged 22 (and at that point "an avowed atheist", or so I thought)

The faith has never truly left me, in all the years since, even if I have done my best to drown the music in so many ways. At times it has saved my life.

Holiness to the Lord
    That's weird, many, many years ago I had an argument with SeanT here about God and he told me the same story.

I'm sure SeanT was a Buddhist who believed in reincarnation.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,179

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Religious people? Hypocrites? Say it aint so!
    No, simply this will be the first general election we have ever had in which neither of the main party leaders was Anglican or even Protestant.

Boris is Roman Catholic, Starmer is an atheist. Though I believe Davey is C of E, having been on record as stating he is Christian and occasionally attending his local Anglican church

https://hsld.org.uk/en/article/2019/1314901/ed-s-response-to-our-questions
    Why is being Anglican so important to you? I realise you are, but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me.
    Someone can't be a Tory unless they think the Queen is God's Anglican representative on earth remember
    ... which rules out Boris
    When has Boris ever said he does not think the monarch should be Head of the Church of England?
    Jesus Christ is the Head of any Christian church
    Not on earth. The Pope is head of the Roman Catholic church on earth, the UK Monarch the head of the Church of England on earth, God and Jesus Christ are more like the Spiritual Heads
    I am confirmed into the Church of England, was an altar server and assisted the Bishop of Durham at a confirmation service

I do not recognise anyone other than my spiritual God

Unless you recognise the Monarch as Head of the C of E and take part in BCP services you cannot be C of E, even if you can still be Christian
    Are you actually unaware that the BCP is not actually authorised for use in Anglican services? Although it may still be used as an alternative.
    Authorized or recommended? Surely if it can be used as an alternative it must be authorized.

The situation is that one service on any given day must be from Common Worship, which superseded the BCP, the RBCP and the ASB 1980 in 2000.

However, once that requirement has been satisfied any other service can follow any pattern, which may be the BCP.

This is made easier by the fact that the rite for Matins and Evensong in the BCP, which is the main service in say, most cathedrals is virtually indistinguishable from versions available in Common Worship. The differences for Holy Communion are much more significant, especially the placing of the Gloria (BCP it's at the end, CW it comes near the start).

Most Sunday morning services - which for most churches are their main and frequently only service of the week - are very clearly Common Worship. As Hyufd would find if he checked the copyright notice on whatever his church gives out on Sunday mornings.

But, for example, a marriage conducted according to the BCP would not now be lawful. Which is a shame as I much prefer the language of the BCP to that of CW.

I hope that is boring and geeky enough for you. At any rate, it's drained my last reserves of energy and I'm off to bed.

Good night.
    I thought that there had to be one service of the Book of Common Prayer 1662. Lots of churches fulfil this requirement with the 8 am Holy Communion so that tyey can have Happy Clappy or Common Worship or whatever as the main Sunday Service. THE BCP os fighting back and is being used more and more once people appreciate how wonderful the service is.
    The Book of Common Prayer, like the King James Bible, is a work of human genius. Largely Tyndale's and Cranmer's?

Later versions are, to put it politely, not quite of this standard
    I agree, both are deeply embedded in the nature of Englishness. The language is part of us. Its the Theology of it that I cannot take.
    When you read, or hear, or speak, the KJV or the BCP, it does sound like the Voice of God. It has an uncanny power over us.

I've heard that the Koran has the same quality in the original Arabic. Spell-binding in itself, divine in tone, and a part explanation for the incredible, speedy success of Islam
    Indeed - God spake English!

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,887
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

Holiness to the Lord
    I was an avowed atheist until I was 30ish. Then things changed. The baptism of the Spirit is always available, but we are not always open to it.

And yes, I do not think mind altering drugs give the authentic experience, just a simulacrum. Some cultures think otherwise of course.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,639

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm playing Mahler's 5th now. The adagietto. Used in "Death in Venice" - the greatest film music ever made

How can you NOT believe when you listen to this? And if you don't believe, how can you not doubt your doubt?

I think you'll find that the "greatest film music ever made" is the Moana soundtrack.

Moana was good, mind. A somewhat neglected minor masterpiece of the genre. It came out right in the middle of the Golden Age of New Animation when almost every new "cartoon" was kinda genius

Think about Inside Out. One of the greatest movies ever made, I reckon. Not just animated movies. Movies. Now almost forgotten

Moana's animation is the best I've ever seen. The water, hair and greenery in particular.

"Inside Out is animated cinema's brainstorm of the year, possibly the decade." - Nigel Andrews, Financial Times

"This is a humane and heart-wrenchingly beautiful film; even measured alongside Pixar's numerous great pictures, it stands out as one of the studio's very best." - Daily Telegraph

"As funny, stirring, unpredictable, exciting and riotously beautiful as it is profound." - Wall Street Journal

How have we forgotten it? I wonder if it is something as basic as a poor, generic title (Inside Out - yawn). We remember "Toy Story" partly because the title is clever, solid, memorable, and an excellent brand
    Inside Out is a brilliant film - clever, moving and quite avant-garde in places. The last ten or twenty years has seen a phenomenal run of films from Pixar and Disney - Inside Out, Toy Story (3 is the best for me, Christ I am a mess by the end), Wall-E, Up, Cars, Coco, Moana, Tangled and Frozen. The last is probably my favourite - I know it's super schmaltzy, but I just find the story of the estranged siblings so powerful. And that song of course. I can't think of any recent films for grown ups that are as good to be honest.
    Didn't get on with Frozen, but all the rest, yes. Especially Tangled! I love that

I would add Monsters Inc, the Incredibles, and Finding Nemo. And there are surely others I have forgotten

Wonderfully funny. The German-Asian lesbian designer lady, Edna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL3w73MAuIM

I agree the best movies of the last ten years have pretty much all been animated. "Proper" movies have got got dumber and dumber, FFS Marvel, stop - yet for some reason the cartoons at the same time - up to the pandemic - got smarter and smarter
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

'Frozen' embodies everything I hate about a) Disney and b) musicals in general. It is actually quite a good story, but I really, really hate the music. The music is written in the genre of 'musical' - far, far too much emoting, and far too many unnecessary little twiddly bits.

Musicals can be quite good when they're written in other genres. I didn't mind the Frog Princess, for example.
    Sorry, I love emoting and indeed musicals in general! I'm still feeling quite emosh after seeing Frozen on stage last night. It was worth the ticket price just for Let It Go.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,963
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No, I think plenty of us (who saw it) remember it. A great movie.

I still don’t think Spirited Away has been bettered, though.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Great craic on PB tonight I must admit.

I am enjoying this immensely.
    I'm currently wondering what happens if I listen to Mahler backwards. It's GOT to be worth a try.
    Remember. Mahler backwards is Relham.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018

Having been accused of spreading falsehoods on the last thread, I'd like to find out how bad my falsehoods are.

Does anybody know how many gas power plants get turned off because it's windy?

How much gas has not been burnt because of the wind?

I only ever of hear wind's "achievements" as a percentage of total energy produced. Currently, with such pathetic energy storage capacity, this is an irrelevant figure if we're not able to rely on wind enough to switch off the gas power plants.

The only stat that matters, while we don't have the storage, is how much less gas do we burn on a very windy day.

As a relevant aside, I presume our biomass plants can't even theoretically be switched on and off like gas?

You can look at the stats yourself on http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

It's plain as night and day that we burn less gas when the wind blows.

You can see the variation in biomass too. Like coal it's slower to ramp up and ramp down than gas, but it is done.
    It does look like there are about three months in the year when we actually burn less gas because of the wind.

That's better than I expected.
    The wind we have at present is mostly replacing coal that we previously used, not gas. As we add more wind we will be able to reduce the amount of gas burnt.

See, for example, some of the government statistics here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/electricity-chapter-5-digest-of-united-kingdom-energy-statistics-dukes
    Remember that the CCGTs receive Capacity Payments for not generating on windy days. As do the OCGTs and diesel gen sets all year round for doing nothing.

The more renewables we have, the more we have to pay plants to sit there, with the operators sat around watching Netflix.
    Whilst these turbines are "sitting around" not doing anything on windy days, they are saving on the cost of gas and the lack of CO2 going into the atmosphere. Until we solve the problem about energy storage in vast amounts and further exploitation of present and new renewables we will always have to have back-up generators, which has a cost when not being used.
    Instead of spending the money on wind and solar, carbon capture could have been fitted across the CCGT fleet to provide power that is both low carbon and despatchable.

Studies have shown that the more renewables are installed, the higher the cost of providing a fully functioning low carbon power supply. More and more back up generation receiving capacity payments.
    Carbon capture is much talked about but, despite the obvious interest fossil fuel companies would have in making it work, so they could continue to burn fossil fuels, it hasn't happened. It's not going to.
    Plenty of it in the US, Canada and a few plants elsewhere. Finally coming to the UK by 2026 or thereabouts.
    How come it isn't here now ?
  • Options
    I do think Jesus belief has the best songs.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

I don't think the fundamental nature of reality is explicable. Science has increased our knowledge of reality immensely (always subject to revision) but the really big questions such as: Why is there anything? Does free will exist? What is nature of consciousness? Is the future determined? are open and possibly always will be. A lot of popular atheist arguments are simplistically reductionist assertions or attacks on religious straw men. Mind you I'll always cheer on Dawkins against bible literalists or Islamic fundamentalists!
    Is the future determined?
    No, it isn't. Quantum physics pretty much lays waste to determinism.
    Oh dear I just contradicted that with something much older than quantum physics. Showing my age.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

Holiness to the Lord
    I was an avowed atheist until I was 30ish. Then things changed. The baptism of the Spirit is always available, but we are not always open to it.

And yes, I do not think mind altering drugs give the authentic experience, just a simulacrum. Some cultures think otherwise of course.
    Tut tut. Zillions of indigenous cultures say otherwise. Drugs open the Doors of Perception. Indeed,, throughout human history, psychoactive drugs have been THE route to spirituality. You are showing your eurocentrism (and puritanism)

Anyway, it doesn't matter how you get to God, no more than it matters how you get to Venice, or how you meet your true love. Just get there. Just make the meeting
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Not sura any modern one can equal The Jungle Book, but Pixar have turned out some greats.

I would cite Ratatouille as the best.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Believe in what exactly?
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,320
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

Holiness to the Lord

Tut tut. Zillions of indigenous cultures say otherwise. Drugs open the Doors of Perception. Indeed,, throughout human history, psychoactive drugs have been THE route to spirituality. You are showing your eurocentrism (and puritanism)

Anyway, it doesn't matter how you get to God, no more than it matter how you get to Venice, or how you meet your true love. Just get there. Just make the meeting

https://www.christianforums.com/
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,439

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The short Jack Jack Attack is fantastic.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Not sura any modern one can equal The Jungle Book, but Pixar have turned out some greats.

I forgot Ratatouille! I knew I'd forget a few greats - there have been so many

Yes a superb movie. It is oddly reassuring to learn that the odious restaurant critic is based, apparently, on Will Self
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,509
    edited November 2021
    Hello. My name is Timothy and I'm an atheist.

Two reasons. Firstly, while I accept that there's loads that we don't currently understand, I don't think that there's anything that would be fundamentally impossible for us to understand, and so requiring faith. The gaps grow ever smaller.

Secondly, if we require a creator then the question arises as to how the creator was created. An infinite succession of creators is inadequate. If the creator simply is and does not require a creator, then neither do we.

That said I do envy those with faith. I can see how it provides comfort, meaning and community. Arguably it is maladaptive to lack a faith. Though I do recognise there are things that I do believe in. I have a faith of a sort, in that I believe that most people are capable of being reasonable most of the time. That's definitely something I need faith to hold to a lot of the time.

I think that atheists could do more to think about how to recreate the benefits of faith for the godless. Sunday Assembly is an interesting attempt at this.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

I have just watched the advert and my conclusion is many will respond

He has resigned as an MP Angela

Has Claudia Webb, and how about the £249 you falsely claimed for Air pods Angela

Claudia Webb is currently an Independent and the Labour Party or any other party for that matter has no direct influence on whether she chooses to resign or stay.

Demanding Rayner's resignation because Paterson resigned may be a fair point. But you should also be demanding Matt Hancock and several other MPs from the Labour and Conservative Parties fall on their swords too for over indulging in Apple products at the taxpayers expense.

It suits me if Rayner is defenestrated for her ear buds. It would make it much easier to throw Johnson to the dogs over Carrie's wallpaper...or doesn't that count?
    I did find it striking that she still attends Labour photo shoots alongside Labour MPs and waves Labour branded placards.

But I guess she’s independent so you can disclaim responsibility
    I apologise for my fake news.

I was under the impression she was suspended- much like her old mucker Comrade Corbyn. She won't be the candidate in Leicester East come the big day.
    No you are right - she is suspended or maybe expelled. But it’s clearly a nominal thing and Labour has no intention of playing it straight
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Shrek is now 20 years old but deserves to be up there in the list of greatest animated movies imho.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive: The Conservative Party has been accused of abusing the honours system by systematically offering seats in the House of Lords to a select group of multi-millionaire donors who pay £3million to the party https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/new-tory-sleaze-row-as-donors-who-pay-3m-get-seats-in-house-of-lords-2575s6jmp?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636224179

*pretends to be shocked*

Actually I'd not describe that as abuse of honours. Getting a gong doesnt mean much. A position in the Lords gives someone legislative power and so is far far worse if tried.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Because he’s the goalie.

Jesus Saves.
    What will you do if Christ comes to Liverpool?

Move St John to Outside Right and play Christ at Centre Forward.
  • Options

I do think Jesus belief has the best songs.

"REACH OUT AND TOUCH FAITH!"
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

When I was in Singapore in the late 60s we used to see Jungle Book about once a month. We got word perfect but loved it. Almost no English speaking TV and very little media made regular trips to the cinema a thing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No love for Zootopia?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,388
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Because he’s the goalie.

Jesus Saves.

Cant be.. he let in two..
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

Holiness to the Lord

@Leon, @SeanT, all different Avatars of the One True Thriller Writer!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

I don't think the fundamental nature of reality is explicable. Science has increased our knowledge of reality immensely (always subject to revision) but the really big questions such as: Why is there anything? Does free will exist? What is nature of consciousness? Is the future determined? are open and possibly always will be. A lot of popular atheist arguments are simplistically reductionist assertions or attacks on religious straw men. Mind you I'll always cheer on Dawkins against bible literalists or Islamic fundamentalists!
    It probably does.

• Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The difference between a kids film and a family film. The latter work for all ages and deserve that they can now be nominated for Best Picture.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I forgot Ratatouille! I knew I'd forget a few greats - there have been so many

Yes a superb movie. It is oddly reassuring to learn that the odious restaurant critic is based, apparently, on Will Self
    Though he does experience that transcendental moment and is born again as a restauranter, when he least expects it, but yet is open to it:

https://youtu.be/kuyUKdJccgM
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Shrek is now 20 years old but deserves to be up there in the list of greatest animated movies imho.
    Hilarious, especially the taking piss out of Disney elements.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,509

Surprising that - on a supposed betting site - no one has yet mentioned Pascal's Razor?

Pascal's Wager... One part cop out and another part neglecting opportunity cost.
  • Options
    A thread or so ago, a new PBer from my own neck of the woods in the great Pacific Northwest mentioned that there is a very interesting recall election in December concerning a member of the Seattle City Council.

Kshama Sawant is the (currrent) stormy petrel of Seattle politics. An Indian American immigrant and former software engineer for Microsoft, she first won election to the city council in 2013 as the "Socialist Alternative" candidate, narrowly (and surprisingly) defeating an incumbent council citywide. Her victory being due less to her avowed socialism than to her populist opposition to the city hall establishment. (Yours truly was one who voted for her at that time on that basis.)

PBers may be interested to note, that Sawant's Socialist Alternative is the 3rd Millennium addition of Militant Tenancy. As noted last night, she is a Trotskyist Communist, not a Democratic Socialist as most Seattle media and voters imagine.

Sawant again won election in 2015 this time for the District 3 city council seat (Capitol Hill, Madison Park & Valley, Montlake & parts of downtown). In 2019, based on the results of the August primary it appeared she was heading for defeat, but massive over-spending against her by Amazon caused sufficient backlash to help her squeak through to re-election.

Her inflammatory rhetoric and occasional lapses in complying with public ethics laws have landed her in hot water more than once, and has now lead to the current recall.

Sponsors of the recall held back submitting all the voter signatures they collected until AFTER the deadline for appearing on the 2021 general election ballot. Why? Because they calculated that they had a better chance of defeating her in a lower turnout election, with fewer younger & thus more progressive voters who are her base.

However, yours truly is NOT sure that was such smart strategy. Because over the course of many hard-fought elections (primary & general) over the last decade, Kshama Sawant has built herself a strong grassroots organization in her chosen District 3 turf. It is largely "astroturf" because she raises a lot of money (sources largely unknown) which she does NOT spend on TV or mail or consultants, but instead puts her moolah into paying field organizers. A friend of mine reports that one of these guys has already stopped by to touch base three times in the last six months.

Plus methinks that some voters who voted against her the last time around, will conclude that, while they did not support her then and still don't now, the specific charges against her just do NOT rise to the level justifying removal from office after having won the last election fair & square.

Sawant's opponents will of course spend a LOT of money - again - trying to defeat her. But they vividly recall how in 2017, when she was on the ropes and going down after the primary, Bezos and his mega-bucks managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
  • Options

This thread has lost its faith

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036

HYUFD said:

Not even de facto, Raab as Lord Chancellor now sends names of new Church of England bishops to the Queen

Because of section 18 othe Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo4/10/7/section/18

It shall not be lawful for any person professing the Roman Catholic religion directly or indirectly to advise his Majesty, or any person or persons holding or exercising the office of guardians of the United Kingdom, or of regent of the United Kingdom, under whatever name, style, or title such office may be constituted, or the lord lieutenant of Ireland, touching or concerning the appointment to or disposal of any office or preferment in the Church of England, or in the Church of Scotland; and if any such person shall offend in the premises he shall, being thereof convicted by due course of law, be deemed guilty of a high misdemeanor, and disabled for ever from holding any office, civil or military, under the Crown.
    So the Queen is forbidden by Law from taking Boris' advice?
    Very wise and foresighted.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,159
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Joyous & civic:

Three things.

1. Scotland is Priti Patel's country as well.
    2. Comparing her to one of the architects of the holocaust is revolting.
    3. Priti is an ethnic minority woman and the daughter of refugees expelled from Uganda.

https://twitter.com/Anguscurran/status/1456907086349078529?s=20

Your first one is total bollocks
    Nonsense. She is as entitled to plant her foot in Scotland as you are.
    Still bollox, she is not a citizen of Scotland and unlikely she has ever stepped foot in it.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

I have just watched the advert and my conclusion is many will respond

He has resigned as an MP Angela

Has Claudia Webb, and how about the £249 you falsely claimed for Air pods Angela

Indeed. £107m contracts handed without tender to donors is exactly the same as £249 for Air Pods.
    Paterson has paid with his job, Rayner tries to take the moral high while having been found out herself

Can you not see the hypocrisy
    I don't like Rayner, but no, I can't.
    Rayner's actions were not the frugal, careful with the taxpayers behaviour that I'd prefer to see, but it doesn't compare to selling yourself as an MP to the highest bidder.

I see that Big_G's outrage at the behaviour of Paterson didn't last long, and he's now moved on to consoling himself with imagining that Labour are just as bad. That sort of false equivalence is one of the things that allows corruption to flourish.
    Yeah - they're all Pretty Straight Guys at Labour.
    If you refuse to distinguish between bad and worse then you let the worse off the hook, and you can make a distinction without excusing the bad.
    Just how worst was Blair when he accepted a 1M quid donation from Bernie?
    IIRC that was to the party, not personally. But I agree a very bad look.
    and he gave the money back.

Admittedly only after he had given Ecclestone the deal he wanted on tobacco advertising.

More swinging and missing than in a golf lesson for beginners at the moment.
    I don’t recall many defending his behaviour at the time. It was pretty disgusting, and it was likely only public opinion that made him return the cash.
    How any of that justifies current day corruption is frankly beyond me.

Perhaps is just a way for the Big G tendency to continue voting for Boris while expressing contempt for him.
    It doesn't justify the Paterson case.

I'm just saying that Blair's corruption was much, much worse than Paterson's
    Because you expected better of the Vicar of St Albions?
    No because lobbying is legal

Paying PM 1M GBP to change policy is not.
    As anyone in F1 knew, Bernie was a very shrewd negotiator.

He managed to get his policy enacted by Tony, and didn’t have to pay a penny for it.
    It was the most corrupt thing I've ever seen in politics and all it took from Tony was a smirk at the cameras.
    IIRC, Bernie leaned Conservative. He felt the deal he did with the government was above board, and was a reasonable compromise to a difficult situation for the sport. A longer delay in enacting the tobacco sponsorship ban, in order to move onto other sponsorship was vital in a sport that has its heart in the UK. The ensuing scandal, by the papers and the Conservative opposition, turned him well and truly against both parties.

IMV that was a good argument. The issue was that Bernie had paid the Labour Party a million earlier in the year, and no-one realised, or cared, that it could be seen as a conflict of interest.

But apparently he has never forgiven the Tories ...
    I don't care about the Bernie angle - I care about how little people cared about the corrupt practises of Tone.
    Yes, you've mentioned it, what, eight times already this thread. It was a long time ago, the rules have been tightened up since, and owing to Iraq, pretty much everyone is contemptuous of Blair anyway.

There might be a more direct parallel with Blair accepting free holidays, and it was surely suspicious that Blair's records were deleted before the expenses scandal but I doubt you'll find anyone on the left who cares and an awful lot of voters won't even remember.
    Briskin is like a broken record, the only Tory in the village
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

It probably does.

Only 3 likes so far for that?
    Come on.
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    Some on this website are under the impression that the Queen is head of the Church of England. The last monarch to hold that title was Mary I, although being a Roman Catholic, she negotiated this away to the Pope.
    Her successor, Elizabeth I, took the title Supreme Governor, a much less controversial accolade. The present monarch has the same title.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Ex-British PM calls actions of Johnson's government "politically corrupt" http://reut.rs/3kxthCv https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1457040112349585409/photo/1

Is this the same PM who conducted an affair while he was chief whip?
    You've lost the argument in favour of Johnson if you are claiming a politician has no credibility and thus should be silenced because he was unfaithful to his wife.
    Not at all

Boris is constantly attacked for his morals, and John Major is open to the same criticism
    Oh Dear G, you think a few bonks with Currie is anything like Bozo impregnating half the Tories in the country.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    Hopefully Muhammad will be playing up front for the Toon ASAP
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

It probably does.

Only 3 likes so far for that?
    Come on.
    It's a bit to clever I suspect. I had to read it again after your comment and have got it and duly liked.

Or of course I'm a bit stupid.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Inside Out was fab.

Broccoli pizza!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

Holiness to the Lord

Anyway, it doesn't matter how you get to God, no more than it matters how you get to Venice, or how you meet your true love. Just get there. Just make the meeting
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Wise words

Holiness to the Lord

https://youtu.be/K2-yUQS70Kc
This discussion has been closed.