Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The voting segment that is most hostile to BoJo – ABC1 Remainers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

More good news:

Scoop with @SarahNev: Dido Harding’s hopes of becoming the next head of NHS England have sharply diminished after Matt Hancock's exit, according to senior govt officials.

“I can’t see Dido getting the nod, especially after the last couple of days.”

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1409556058906017797?s=20

So Hancock’s bit on the side is pretty much unalloyed good news for the rest of the country, albeit a dreadful tragedy for the two families involved?
    Javid will be all over the politics for a while. Hancock might have been listening to the NHS. It's probably a false impression, but I sensed that the NHS staff quite liked him.

What we know with certainty is that Javid has made his decision before he's assessed the situation. This is really bad news.
    The government has done that all the way through. And sometimes it has come off (schools reopening on March 8th) and sometimes it hasn’t (cancelling reopening last week, which now looks pretty foolish, and repeatedly locking down far too late).

Anyone who thinks we have been following the science and/or assessing the situation before making decisions probably needs to look at them more closely.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

There is another “voting segment” that is hostile to BoJo:

BoJo net approval Opinium

London +19
    South +2
    Midlands -6
    North -11
    NI -13
    Wales -16
    Scotland -33

***DODGY SUBSAMPLE KLAXON***

No way on Earth Johnson's support is highest in London
    Fair enough. We’ll just throw Mike’s conclusions in the bin.

Only sane conclusion:
    Scotland loves BoJo!
    Logic suggests that the Scottish number is probably right. However, not everything is all about Scotland, is it?
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Euro 2020 Betfair prices and implied probabilities after Spain won.

1 France 5.5 18.2%
    2 Italy 6 16.7%
    3 Spain 6.4 15.6%
    4 England 6.8 14.7%
    5 Germany 8.4 11.9%
    6 Belgium 10 10.0%
    7 Denmark 13 7.7%
    8 Czechia 38 2.6%
    9 Sweden 55 1.8%
    110 bar

Belgium is the value there.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,316
    Am drunk on monkey 47 gin in an open top bar by the blue Mediterranean while watching amazing football. This, my friends, THIS is contentment

OK sex is better but this is still good. Viva Europa!
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

London +19
    South +2
    Midlands -6
    North -11
    NI -13
    Wales -16
    Scotland -33

Only sane conclusion:
    Scotland loves BoJo!
    This is pure cover guys. He's placating his neighbours after the postman has been chatting

A Mr S Dickson of 96 Artillery Avenue is the biggest customer of the Boris fansite. Several blond wigs, some mis-tailored suits, a union jack, a harness for travelling by rope, and a signed copy of Boris' big book of excuses.

(At this point imagine a photoshopped SD with blond hair)
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,944
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Re the Gmail accounts for Ministers, if anyone at work sent any work material (not just very confidential stuff) to a private email address, it was automatically a disciplinary offence - sometimes leading to dismissal.

I am surprised that it isn't the same in government - not the disciplinaries - but the absolute ban on non-government email accounts. It is utterly insecure and very very poor practice.

Same in my industry - it is astounding that private companies take security more seriously than the Government.

As for the docs left at a bus stop.....

Security at many companies went out of the window with WFH.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719

London +19
    South +2
    Midlands -6
    North -11
    NI -13
    Wales -16
    Scotland -33

His highest approval rating is in London?

Sounds counterintuitive.
    Perhaps Londoners like a bit of extramarital action, whereas northerners and Celts disapprove of ministers feeling the buttocks of other men’s wives on the evening news?
    55% of Londoners thought Hancock should resign, higher than the 52% of Northerners who thought he should go and not far behind the 61% of Scots who thought he should go.

Southerners and those in the Midlands tended to be more supportive of him staying but even then 44% of Southerners and those in the Midlands thought he should go to 29% and 27% respectively who thought he should stay

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2021/06/25/5e96b/1?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=daily_questions&utm_campaign=question_1

London +19
    South +2
    Midlands -6
    North -11
    NI -13
    Wales -16
    Scotland -33

Only sane conclusion:
    Scotland loves BoJo!
    Logic suggests that the Scottish number is probably right. However, not everything is all about Scotland, is it?
    That’s what my wife tells me.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

Taz said:

Omnium said:

Taz said:

ping said:

Croatia!!
    3-3

Great game

Oh dear, and I have been watching a YouTube video on how to make Turkish poached eggs
    Now I'm curious what the difference is between a regular poached egg and a Turkish one.

Switched the game on due to the messages here. Great attempt by Croatia then straight away at the start of Extra Time.
    I think that they poach eggs in other things (like mashed tomatoes rather than water), and then eat them together.

Nope. They did the poached egg in the normal way but then got some, well I cannot call it Greek but strained, yoghurt. Crushed a garlic clove. Mixed it into the yoghurt. Presented the yoghurt on a plate and made a hole for,the egg. It had a melted butter sauce on top. Looked lovely.
    Mrs J makes a delicious dip called Cacik, which is yoghurt, garlic, cucumber and herbs. It goes really well with rice, and takes the heat out of curries. It also goes well with Turkish meatballs (aka meatballs). The Greek Tzatziki is basically the same sort of thing.
    A lot of these cuisines are very similar. I will have to look up Cacik and have a go at It. I always like making new recipes.
    Omnium said:

London +19
    South +2
    Midlands -6
    North -11
    NI -13
    Wales -16
    Scotland -33

Only sane conclusion:
    Scotland loves BoJo!
    This is pure cover guys. He's placating his neighbours after the postman has been chatting

A Mr S Dickson of 96 Artillery Avenue is the biggest customer of the Boris fansite. Several blond wigs, some mis-tailored suits, a union jack, a harness for travelling by rope, and a signed copy of Boris' big book of excuses.

I’m more fair than blond.
    Omnium said:

Taz said:

Omnium said:

Taz said:

ping said:

Croatia!!
    3-3

Great game

Oh dear, and I have been watching a YouTube video on how to make Turkish poached eggs
    Now I'm curious what the difference is between a regular poached egg and a Turkish one.

Switched the game on due to the messages here. Great attempt by Croatia then straight away at the start of Extra Time.
    I think that they poach eggs in other things (like mashed tomatoes rather than water), and then eat them together.

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

On topic, isn't it strange that C2DE Remainers are more pro-Boris than C2DE Leavers?

It is - and the answer to why is (I sense) of profound import. We should get working on it. Has he disappointed blue collar Leavers in some way perhaps? Was our Brexit not hard enough for them? This would explain why their Remainer equivalents are relatively more supportive.
    It may be just a statistical anomaly. But interesting if confirmed by further research/polls.
    Yes - and tbh I'm dubious.
    Theory: the C2DE Remainers mostly wanted to Leave as well, but were frightened by predictions of economic catastrophe into backing what Cameron wanted. Catastrophe failed to happen, so now they have repudiated their previous allegiance and back Boris with the zealousness of converts. Or something.
    It’s called Cilbir, apparently.
    Yeah - many names as many countries do such a thing.
    Or very similar with just a few minor differences.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    £25 on France at 1.71 for me here, Spain were shorter against Croatia which I thought wasn't right.

1 France 5.5 18.2%
    2 Italy 6 16.7%
    3 Spain 6.4 15.6%
    4 England 6.8 14.7%
    5 Germany 8.4 11.9%
    6 Belgium 10 10.0%
    7 Denmark 13 7.7%
    8 Czechia 38 2.6%
    9 Sweden 55 1.8%
    110 bar

Punters may be worried about injuries to Hazard and de Bruyne.
    edited June 2021

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

On topic, isn't it strange that C2DE Remainers are more pro-Boris than C2DE Leavers?

It is - and the answer to why is (I sense) of profound import. We should get working on it. Has he disappointed blue collar Leavers in some way perhaps? Was our Brexit not hard enough for them? This would explain why their Remainer equivalents are relatively more supportive.
    It may be just a statistical anomaly. But interesting if confirmed by further research/polls.
    Theory: the C2DE Remainers mostly wanted to Leave as well, but were frightened by predictions of economic catastrophe into backing what Cameron wanted. Catastrophe failed to happen, so now they have repudiated their previous allegiance and back Boris with the zealousness of converts. Or something.
    Yes, has legs. I've always said the 'mood' of the country - England - was far more Leave than the technical result of the vote.
    It's all down to money and the fear of losing it. If Project Fear (of Being Poor) wasn't as successful as it turned out to be, then both the Leave vote in England and the Yes vote in Scotland would've won by landslides.
    Scotland's Parliament only asked to join a Union with England in the first place in the late 17th century because of money, it needed a bailout after the failure of the Darien Scheme.

Similarly the UK joined the Common Market in 1973 because it needed a new trade area to sell its goods in after the end of the Empire

• pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

£25 on France at 1.71 for me here, Spain were shorter against Croatia which I thought wasn't right.

I agree

I’m on france -0.75 AH @ 1.95
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Omnium said:

Taz said:

ping said:

Croatia!!
    3-3

Great game

Nope. They did the poached egg in the normal way but then got some, well I cannot call it Greek but strained, yoghurt. Crushed a garlic clove. Mixed it into the yoghurt. Presented the yoghurt on a plate and made a hole for,the egg. It had a melted butter sauce on top. Looked lovely.
    Mrs J makes a delicious dip called Cacik, which is yoghurt, garlic, cucumber and herbs. It goes really well with rice, and takes the heat out of curries. It also goes well with Turkish meatballs (aka meatballs). The Greek Tzatziki is basically the same sort of thing.
    A lot of these cuisines are very similar. I will have to look up Cacik and have a go at It. I always like making new recipes.
    The word tzatziki is actually borrowed from Turkish cacık so it's pretty much the same thing. https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/τζατζίκι
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    Have to say I'm really disappointed with the vaccination rollout.

Turns out more people have turned down the Spurs job than have had a vaccine in the UK.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,591

Why is Number 10 claiming there was no private email use at the Department of Health when there is clear evidence that there was - and probably still is?

Because they lie a lot ?
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, has legs. I've always said the 'mood' of the country - England - was far more Leave than the technical result of the vote.
    It's all down to money and the fear of losing it. If Project Fear (of Being Poor) wasn't as successful as it turned out to be, then both the Leave vote in England and the Yes vote in Scotland would've won by landslides.
    Scotland's Parliament only asked to join a Union with England in the first place because of money, it needed a bailout after the failure of the Darien Scheme.
    Partly true. The English Parliament played a game of carrot and stick: on the one hand, access to the colonies, debt pooling and a great big sackload of cash; on the other, trade sanctions if you don't do what we want.

AIUI the Scots ruling class liked the deal; the ordinary folk weren't necessarily so enthusiastic.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,633
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Re the Gmail accounts for Ministers, if anyone at work sent any work material (not just very confidential stuff) to a private email address, it was automatically a disciplinary offence - sometimes leading to dismissal.

I am surprised that it isn't the same in government - not the disciplinaries - but the absolute ban on non-government email accounts. It is utterly insecure and very very poor practice.

No matter how often ministers are caught doing it around the world they keep doing it. They think people are stupid and they will get away with it forever. They cannot pretend they don't know they are not supposed to do it, given people have been caught in the past, but they just cannot help themselves.
    This government is far from unique in that, but it’s certainly near the top of the scale for ministers believing the rules don’t apply to them.
    Consider the Nimrod fiasco.

Due to demented specification (partly the previous governments fault) combined with dodgy airframes which had been mis-built in the first place, HMG came the proud owners of aircraft that the air safety people said were not only un-airworthy, but were not practical to make airworthy.

So, the Top Men said, we will do what we always do - get someone to issue an order that the air safety people in the RAF have to declare the planes fit for service. Under threat of court martial.

Ooops - it turns out that modern law means that while you can give such an order and they can be forced to obey it... but the order would make the person doing the ordering legally responsible! So if a plane crashed, someone might actually have to go to prison. A Top Man at that!

Ah said the Top Men - we will get a Minister to give the go ahead.

The problem was that the Minister (sensibly) told them to FO. In horror, the Top Men declared that this was a disgrace!

So the planes were scrapped. And everyone got their knighthoods.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,100
    edited June 2021
    That Turkish Egg recipe looks quite good. This is the BBC Good Food version:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/turkish_eggs_77109

Anyone want to try it and make suggestions?

To me it needs more of a veg component - tempted by tomatoes fresh from the tomato plant, and I might add a few slices of fried courgette. And make the toast into olive toast.
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Scotland's Parliament only asked to join a Union with England in the first place in the late 17th century because of money, it needed a bailout after the failure of the Darien Scheme.

Similarly the UK joined the Common Market in 1973 because it needed a new trade area to sell its goods in after the end of the Empire

Congratulations to you and your other half.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 583
    Leon said:

Am drunk on monkey 47 gin in an open top bar by the blue Mediterranean while watching amazing football. This, my friends, THIS is contentment

I wondered when you were going to reappear on this board, Leon. There was an article in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph about the shortage of flintknappers (yes, honestly).

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Scotland's Parliament only asked to join a Union with England in the first place because of money, it needed a bailout after the failure of the Darien Scheme.
    Partly true. The English Parliament played a game of carrot and stick: on the one hand, access to the colonies, debt pooling and a great big sackload of cash; on the other, trade sanctions if you don't do what we want.

AIUI the Scots ruling class liked the deal; the ordinary folk weren't necessarily so enthusiastic.
    There was no referendum so we will never know, however 55% of their descendants voted to stick with the deal just 7 years ago in a once in a generation poll on the Union
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Omnium said:

London +19
    South +2
    Midlands -6
    North -11
    NI -13
    Wales -16
    Scotland -33

Only sane conclusion:
    Scotland loves BoJo!

I’m more fair than blond.
    To be honest I'd hoped to get at least one like for my leap of fun. I guess you're not exceptional on PB in being fair :)
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,463
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The honeymoon is clearly over. Welcome back.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780

Have to say I'm really disappointed with the vaccination rollout.

Turns out more people have turned down the Spurs job than have had a vaccine in the UK.

That is a completely unfair comparison. Turning down the Spurs job is rational. Turning down the vaccine just isn't.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

1 France 5.5 18.2%
    2 Italy 6 16.7%
    3 Spain 6.4 15.6%
    4 England 6.8 14.7%
    5 Germany 8.4 11.9%
    6 Belgium 10 10.0%
    7 Denmark 13 7.7%
    8 Czechia 38 2.6%
    9 Sweden 55 1.8%
    110 bar

Germany stands out to me. Only need to beat us and then clear favourites to reach the final.
    I am guessing 3-1 France in 90 minutes.
    MattW said:

To me it needs more of a veg component - tempted by tomatoes fresh from the tomato plant, and I might add a few slices of fried courgette. And make the toast into olive toast.

I'd eat it as is. A proper strained Greek yoghurt of course (Waitrose No 1 is good). I'd eat both portions and not bother with bread, to keep it low carb.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Labour in to 5.3 from 7 earlier.

Take the profit?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

There's history here. You'll never (i.e. really easily) guess who.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/sep/20/michael-gove-department-private-email
    Maybe this is a silly question. But is there not a Head of IT security in the civil service, in government departments etc?

What on earth is the point of having security services or, indeed, the Official Secrets Act, if all sorts of stuff is going to private email accounts which a child of 12 could probably easily hack?
    I work in IT security, in significantly less important roles than governmental communications.

The issue is probably, as these things always are, with the governmental equivalent of the C-suite exempting themselves from the agreed rules, which are supposed to apply to everyone.
    I am a little surprised that the security services don't insist on what is, frankly, pretty basic security protocol.

I did a case years ago involving insider dealing in the shares of a defence company with close ties to the government. All the bankers / traders were looked at but it was as clear as the sun in the sky that the leaks of inside information were coming from inside government. Indeed they barely bothered hiding it. It was an appalling - and doubtless very profitable - abuse of power.

This sort of poor security is incredibly dangerous.

And the government then has the nerve to suggest that we ought to trust them with our personal health and other data.
    It’s astonishing that we’ve discovered today, that the SoS Heath’s office has a Chinese camera in it, the office is managed by a private management company, and the CCTV room is open to someone with a mobile phone to record it.

I’d have assumed that the ‘top floor’ offices in government departments would have Special Branch and MI5 all over them - but apparently not!
    From what I was told a few years ago the government only really cares about security regarding the the following departments

1) The PM

2) The Treasury

3) FCO

4) Home Office

5) Defence

6) Northern Ireland

I think five of those six are the only ministers that have armed bodyguards.
    If true an absolute nonsense of a policy. Are we saying we’re happy for conversations between Cabinet ministers in their own offices to be public knowledge? For easy collection of kompramat on people who are might be a heartbeat from becoming elected dictators? In the case of Gove and Hancock this year, 50% of the only decision making committee that matters?

There have been times in the last year where I’ve wondered whether there might have been foreign intervention of this sort, given the sometimes incompressible decision making. I dismissed my own thought as silly. Perhaps I shouldn’t have.
    Quincel said:

1 France 5.5 18.2%
    2 Italy 6 16.7%
    3 Spain 6.4 15.6%
    4 England 6.8 14.7%
    5 Germany 8.4 11.9%
    6 Belgium 10 10.0%
    7 Denmark 13 7.7%
    8 Czechia 38 2.6%
    9 Sweden 55 1.8%
    110 bar

Germany stands out to me. Only need to beat us and then clear favourites to reach the final.
    Yup.
    Alistair said:

Labour in to 5.3 from 7 earlier.

Take the profit?

I backed them at 6.6 earlier.

Gonna let it run.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited June 2021
    SandraMc said:

Leon said:

I wondered when you were going to reappear on this board, Leon. There was an article in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph about the shortage of flintknappers (yes, honestly).
    Who’s going to be napping the Flint dildoes in Camden, when someone’s sitting on the beach in Majorca?
    Leon said:

I discovered Monkey 47 in a gin bar on Kiralyi út in Pest. It was an outrageously hot midsummer weekend as I remember. Monkey used to be my favourite but other gins have caught up.
    DavidL said:

I feel this is Xherdan Shaqiri's night.
    MattW said:

Absolutely ideal food when the weather is like this. Glorious sunshine in the north east.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    DavidL said:

The French anthem is epic. So much better than our dirge.

Given how much everyone loves La Marseillaise, how well known is it that the tune, with different lyrics, was also the rallying song of the Russian Revolution? The crowds all sang it when Lenin’s train arrived in St Petersburg. I was surprised when I recently found that out.
    https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1409586970636918785
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,557
    DavidL said:

Very true. We should use Rule Britannia instead. Much more inspiring.
    Over at Wimbledon, Murray is doing very well. His seeded opponent is a quality player, but Murray looks good for a straight sets win.

If he closes it out his reward will be a second round tie against a qualifier. The likely third round opponent, Denis Shapovalov (seeded 10,) wouldn't be so straightforward...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    DavidL said:

Flower of Scotland isn’t too bad.

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Congratulations to you and your other half.
    Well, to @HYUFD certainly. Quoad ultra not known and not admitted as we lawyers say. 😉
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,409
    DavidL said:

After the feast we've just enjoyed I predict famine. 0-0 at 120 minutes.
    tlg86 said:

It really is
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau trumps everything.
    While we are looking at anthems I completely agree the French one is a smasher but I also love Fratelli D’Italia.
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

F***** awful. Painful enough when those with oddly shaped balls use it. Embarrassing for the footballers. Just embarrassing.
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

Nah, we should use Bohemian Rhapsody.

Just listen to this rendition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZnBNuqqz5g
    edited June 2021
    @Leon @Floater

Some interesting comments on UAP from Jack Reed, Chair of Senate Armed Services Committee:

“This is a real national security issue… needs to be closely examined…Congress must exercise proper oversight”.

Doesn’t sound like this report is sinking into the darkness to me.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/ufo/comments/o9abrp/statement_from_sen_jack_reed_chair_of_the_armed/
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,928
    DavidL said:

It's not even a NATIONAL anthem, note it is "God Save the QUEEN", NOT "God Save the UK/Britain/England/Blighty".
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Except it mostly seems to be about fighting the English, which is a bit one dimensional.

Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau is of course the best, unless you are John Redwood.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,016
    Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

It really is
    Naah. Play it at a lively pace and put some umph into it. God Save the Queen can't be saved the same way without a rewrite
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    moonshine said:

@Leon @Floater

Some interesting comments on UAP from Jack Reed, Chair of Senate Armed Services Committee:

“This is a real national security issue… needs to be closely examined…Congress must exercise proper oversight”.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/ufo/comments/o9abrp/statement_from_sen_jack_reed_chair_of_the_armed/

Or if any body need translation, 'you should give my department even more money'.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    DavidL said:

The Russian one is factually the best.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,288
    edited June 2021
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

Embarrassing... when we don't rule the waves
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,865

Over at Wimbledon, Murray is doing very well. His seeded opponent is a quality player, but Murray looks good for a straight sets win.

If he closes it out his reward will be a second round tie against a qualifier. The likely third round opponent, Denis Shapovalov (seeded 10,) wouldn't be so straightforward...

On him at 200/1. Looking a real smug city.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

I Vow To Thee My Country, I think it speaks to honour and sacrifice for one's nation.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited June 2021
    MattW said:

I make this with roasted aubergine.
    It’s quite rich, and a total treat.

Most of the variations have tomato but I find this detracts from the essential savouriness. Sage and or roasted nigella seeds can also go in there somehow.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    France look like they have turned up to play tonight.
    edited June 2021

Fishing said:

DavidL said:

Embarrassing... when we don't rule thecwaves
    But shamefully thanks to Boris Johnson we do waive the rules.
    kinabalu said:

Not wholly inconceivable, but would require Djokovic's arm/leg/head to fall off prior to their theoretical semi-final clash.
    BigRich said:

moonshine said:

@Leon @Floater

Or if any body need translation, 'you should give my department even more money'.
    Do you really honestly believe that’s the cause of all this? A bipartisan initiative involving gang of 8 members, ex presidents, ex CIA directors and numerous ex military personnel, all to motivate an increase in the US military budget? Engage your brain sir.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,964
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

I'm sure it isn't beyond you to procure a bit of sex too?

PS Did you check out Castell son Claret?
    Jerusalem is a bloody dirge.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    kinabalu said:

No chance. Jokovic unstoppable. Murray will not sustain 7 matches in 13 days with the lack of training he’s had.

Yes, proper one hit wonder that lot. Should’ve just stuck with Vindaloo.

Ha!
    edited June 2021
    Lol Switzerland 1-0

Shakes things up a bit!
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Go on you Swiss!

kinabalu said:

No chance. Jokovic unstoppable. Murray will not sustain 7 matches in 13 days with the lack of training he’s had.
    I'll be laying him back at 16. That's the plan.
    edited June 2021

Go on you Swiss!

I love the Swiss, wonderful nation on so many levels, their flag is also a big plus.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,732
    Andy_JS said:

London +19
    South +2
    Midlands -6
    North -11
    NI -13
    Wales -16
    Scotland -33

Those numbers look very odd. The opposite of what we normally see with regard to London, the Midlands and the North, for instance.
    Can’t be right, can it? The opposite of how the votes have been going in England
    DavidL said:

Ha!
    The sports sub committee of Independent SAGE prediction as accurate as ever....
    Murray offering a preview of the England game...

This is what choking looks like.

kinabalu said:

Not wholly inconceivable, but would require Djokovic's arm/leg/head to fall off prior to their theoretical semi-final clash.
    I'm a big Novak fan but I don't fancy him for this. Of course he wouldn't be a surprise winner.
    Manchester never seems to have waves, just slight lulls.

I spent the day in Manchester today.

You wouldn't think there was a pandemic on.

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

It really is
    Naah. Play it at a lively pace and put some umph into it. God Save the Queen can't be saved the same way without a rewrite
    OK, in the spirit of recent Department for Education initiatives, I'll give it a try...

God Save One Britain!
    Long Live One Nation!
    Down with the Trots!

Praise for Her Majesty!
    Praise for our Unity!
    We're all One Family!
    (Even the Scots.)

***Closes piano lid as quietly as possible, puts on coat, skulks out of back door***

That might be part of the problem.....
    edited June 2021
    The old German anthem was the best. A stirring tune and no messing around with the words: Germany uber alles. Shame the tourist board made them ditch that after the war.

The Brabbins & Fyffe (Flanders and Swann parody) would probably not be broadcast now: Foreigners are a total bunch of c****.

I think I saw the Sri Lankan cricket team out and about at one point.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Well, we know they were definitely out, that's for sure.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Fishing said:

DavidL said:

Embarrassing... when we don't rule the waves
    It’s an admonishment not a statement.

Britannia: rule the waves

Go on you Swiss!

I love the Swiss, wonderful nation on so many levels, there flag is also a big plus.
    Yes this works better, much more natural flow.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,016

Not the Bruce Dickinson rework \m/

Well, we know they were definitely out, that's for sure.
    We’re going to have to wait awhile to learn what they were about on this tour.
    Scott_xP said:

Murray offering a preview of the England game...

This is what choking looks like.

It's Henmanesque (***bites nails***)
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'm a big Novak fan but I don't fancy him for this. Of course he wouldn't be a surprise winner.
    Who do you think's going to stop him? Does Federer have another title in him, or might it be Medvedev's time?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    I've moved over to an ESPN stream. ITV absolubte rubbish.
    Alistair said:

Go on you Swiss!

I love the Swiss, wonderful nation on so many levels, there flag is also a big plus.
    I've just noticed my horrific there/their mix up.

I cannot even blame autocorrect this time.

I'll blame tiredness, yes, it was tiredness.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Go on you Swiss!

I love the Swiss, wonderful nation on so many levels, their flag is also a big plus.
    Bit square though
    East Lothian takes the lead.

Looking at the graphs shows how lightly scotland got off in the autumn/winter
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

ITV streaming is like GB News. At least the BBC has spent our licence fees on some decent bandwidth.
    Pulpstar said:

I have watched the games shown on ITV on "unofficial" streams the past few games because they are vastly superior.

Absolutely no excuse in this day and age for ITV streaming to be so crap.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

The old German anthem was the best. A stirring tune and no messing around with the words: Germany uber alles. Shame the tourist board made them ditch that after the war.

The Brabbins & Fyffe (Flanders and Swann parody) would probably not be broadcast now: Foreigners are a total bunch of c****.

I quite often visit their efforts on YouTube. Not sure there’s a problem as there are ‘sensored’ as part of the joke.
    edited June 2021

Pulpstar said:

ITV streaming is like GB News. At least the BBC has spent our licence fees on some decent bandwidth.
    Except still no full HD on iplayer on pc, let alone 4k. Better, but still unacceptable.

Alistair said:

Go on you Swiss!

I've just noticed my horrific there/their mix up.

I cannot even blame autocorrect this time.

I'll blame tiredness, yes, it was tiredness.
    I trust not ‘tiredness’ as in ‘tired and emotional?’
    Hospitalisation admissions, occupancy and ventilator usage seem to be rising faster in Manchester now than during September.
This discussion has been closed.