Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The voting segment that is most hostile to BoJo – ABC1 Remainers – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Switzerland have apparently just subbed the scorer of two of their three goals for a Newcastle United player.

Settling for the draw and hoping to nab it on penalties?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Janine Gibson
    @janinegibson
    In case you are not close to London education system right now, let me inform you that the schools are in absolute chaos

we need to let kids stay in school if they test negative, yes it will mean that there is slightly more transition in the schools, but as previously discussed, they are all going to get it any way, (unless we start vaccinating them)

so it:

Covid and school disruption

or

Covid without school disruption

Seem like a no-brainer to me.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Meanwhile, at Wimbledon, Murray finally gets over the finishing line.

3rd set collapse might ultimately help. Remind him of how it is - big time tennis.
    There may be something to this.

Anyway, at least that's wrapped up, he gets tomorrow off, and the second round opponent will be a qualifier.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Pagel’s latest tweet is irresponsible in the extreme. She is a mathematician. How on Earth does she get away with this stuff?

She's a moron and gets signal boosted by people with Boris and Brexit derangement syndrome who are looking for any kind of idiot who is anti-government.
    There are those who, for instance, have watched and read about Andrew Marr's experience and will feel even with two vaccinations they cannot risk contracting the virus.

Why - because they have pre-existing health conditions and other factors which mean they are scared if they catch covid they will need to go to hospital and fear they won't return. Quoting statistics at them doesn't help - we need a different approach .

How do you confront that kind of fear? Well, shouting at people and calling them names isn't going to help. Opening up and pretending everything can be "normal" may not be the answer either - we need a proper sensible adult conversation about the risks for the doubly vaccinated and especially the most vulnerable.
    I don't see what that has got to do with anything and it's ultimately their own personal choice to not go out. I think over time people will have to either learn to live with the risk or choose to live a life in fear.

People like the above and other zero COVID types do nothing to help the situation with fake statistics about getting severe disease post vaccination don't help the situation.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219

MaxPB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57640550

Very sobering and worrying story from Marr concerning the catching of Delta after being double jagged.

Not worrying at all....he was unlucky to have caught it, was ill for a week, got better.... that's the vaccine working.

And remember his age plus previous health conditions, he is more vulnerable.
    It does show that a certain proportion of us oldies will end up in the hospital being vented,
    Not a huge number, Marr has got a heart condition so is already at risk and he's also over 60. That he's just had a "summer cold" is a brilliant result from a disease that was hospitalising around 40% of people in his category and killing off around 10% of people in his category.

It's a huge vindication of the vaccine and more evidence that everyone who is eligible should get it.
    I totally agree with the last statement, I was just mentioning that perhaps we arn't all fireproof even after being double jabbed!
    We non-Conservatived aren't as brave as the PB BorisTories, who laugh in the face of Covid.

Not a zero-Covider by any means, and I feel I am doing my bit to recover the economy, but I felt distinctly uncomfortable as the OCS driver packed me and my fellow easyJet passengers to Belfast on the Bristol Airport terminal bus. No social distancing whatsoever, and I did get very chippy with the driver, whose retort was "you've been double jabbed haven't you?" I have another three of these work "jollies" booked for the next three months. Happy days!

Urquhart mentioned earlier that there have "only" been 50 double jabbed over 50 fatalities in the last 5 months. I would hate to be the 51st.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Janine Gibson
    @janinegibson
    In case you are not close to London education system right now, let me inform you that the schools are in absolute chaos

If Scottish schools broke up even a week later it would have been carnage in edinburgh.

After a whole term of zero covid cases about a quarter of the school was out in the final week with more cases still being reported at the weekend. Other schools were closed or had almost half the classes out.

It emphasises the ridiculous "we don't care about cases but still do self isolation" nonsense situation we are in.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,203

MaxPB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57640550

Very sobering and worrying story from Marr concerning the catching of Delta after being double jagged.

Not worrying at all....he was unlucky to have caught it, was ill for a week, got better.... that's the vaccine working.

And remember his age plus previous health conditions, he is more vulnerable.
    It does show that a certain proportion of us oldies will end up in the hospital being vented,
    Not a huge number, Marr has got a heart condition so is already at risk and he's also over 60. That he's just had a "summer cold" is a brilliant result from a disease that was hospitalising around 40% of people in his category and killing off around 10% of people in his category.

It's a huge vindication of the vaccine and more evidence that everyone who is eligible should get it.
    I totally agree with the last statement, I was just mentioning that perhaps we arn't all fireproof even after being double jabbed!
    We non-Conservatived aren't as brave as the PB BorisTories, who laugh in the face of Covid.

Not a zero-Covider by any means, and I feel I am doing my bit to recover the economy, but I felt distinctly uncomfortable as the OCS driver packed me and my fellow easyJet passengers to Belfast on the Bristol Airport terminal bus. No social distancing whatsoever, and I did get very chippy with the driver, whose retort was "you've been double jabbed haven't you?" I have another three of these work "jollies" booked for the next three months. Happy days!

Urquhart mentioned earlier that there have "only" been 50 double jabbed over 50 fatalities in the last 5 months. I would hate to be the 51st.
    As someone with a medical history of being the odd one I sympathise. Logic tells you it’s fine, but the monkey brain keeps nagging away...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Who needs Space X when you have Sissoko?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

Andrew Marr story is a positive one. It should be reported as such.

It is and it isn't at the same time.

Marr has himself had some other health problems and he's about my age. I think IF I contracted Covid (and I'm going to try hard not to) I would be okay but I don't want it and I wouldn't want Mrs Stodge to get it.

Were I 10-15 years older, arguably, I'd be more concerned. If a reasonably fit man in his early 60s can be affected so badly, what about someone older and in poorer health?

Again, we need a sensible informed debate about the risks to older more vulnerable people of the Delta variant and we're not seeing that.
  • Options
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Pagel’s latest tweet is irresponsible in the extreme. She is a mathematician. How on Earth does she get away with this stuff?

She's a moron and gets signal boosted by people with Boris and Brexit derangement syndrome who are looking for any kind of idiot who is anti-government.
    There are those who, for instance, have watched and read about Andrew Marr's experience and will feel even with two vaccinations they cannot risk contracting the virus.

Why - because they have pre-existing health conditions and other factors which mean they are scared if they catch covid they will need to go to hospital and fear they won't return. Quoting statistics at them doesn't help - we need a different approach .

How do you confront that kind of fear? Well, shouting at people and calling them names isn't going to help. Opening up and pretending everything can be "normal" may not be the answer either - we need a proper sensible adult conversation about the risks for the doubly vaccinated and especially the most vulnerable.
    Which we aren't going to get from the Zero Covidians. They're only interested in terrifying people into giving them what they want. Nor can we afford to wait for the truly frightened to come out blinking into the sunlight before we go back to something resembling normality, or else we'll be waiting forever.

The best way to deal with the problem of vulnerable vaccinated people continuing to shield is to just drop restrictions and demonstrate that this does not result in a tidal wave of death. Once that happens then it should be much easier to coax them out of hiding.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Which we aren't going to get from the Zero Covidians. They're only interested in terrifying people into giving them what they want. Nor can we afford to wait for the truly frightened to come out blinking into the sunlight before we go back to something resembling normality, or else we'll be waiting forever.

The best way to deal with the problem of vulnerable vaccinated people continuing to shield is to just drop restrictions and demonstrate that this does not result in a tidal wave of death. Once that happens then it should be much easier to coax them out of hiding.
    It is important to also realise that many vulnerable people already are well used to risk assessment. Across a range of conditions.
    I doubt many would be night clubbing frequently. Restrictions or no.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    MaxPB said:

I don't see what that has got to do with anything and it's ultimately their own personal choice to not go out. I think over time people will have to either learn to live with the risk or choose to live a life in fear.

People like the above and other zero COVID types do nothing to help the situation with fake statistics about getting severe disease post vaccination don't help the situation.

We should be better than "choose to live a life in fear".

If people are frightened, why are they frightened? How do we overcome that fear? What will make people feel safe again? It may not be total eradication of coronavirus - it may be for some, it isn't for me.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Looking at vaccination rates in your neck of the woods it seems Newham residents have no fear of the virus whatsoever.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    stodge said:

Marr has himself had some other health problems and he's about my age. I think IF I contracted Covid (and I'm going to try hard not to) I would be okay but I don't want it and I wouldn't want Mrs Stodge to get it.

Were I 10-15 years older, arguably, I'd be more concerned. If a reasonably fit man in his early 60s can be affected so badly, what about someone older and in poorer health?

Again, we need a sensible informed debate about the risks to older more vulnerable people of the Delta variant and we're not seeing that.
    I travel a lot for work, and regularly encounter people at mass events. I catch a bad cold every couple of years. Two or three days in bed. One cannot live life in fear of respiratory viruses. That isn't living.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited June 2021
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

If people are frightened, why are they frightened? How do we overcome that fear? What will make people feel safe again? It may not be total eradication of coronavirus - it may be for some, it isn't for me.
    It doesn’t help that the government is very coy about who exactly are ending up very ill. And that’s probably because if they were honest about it, there’d be no justification for lockdown.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    Alistair said:

Who needs Space X when you have Sissoko?

The price space x want for broadband is ridiculous.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

They're frightened because they're being fed a constant diet of fear by zero COVID people and the media signal boosting them. Marr getting a bit of a cold despite his pre-existing conditions and age is a really positive story. He'd probably be on his death bed without the vaccine. Instead he's back to work and has no lasting effects from it. People like Pagel incorrectly saying that 20-30% of people get long COVID is completely irresponsible and feeds the fear of people who are already worried.

There's an irrationality about catching COVID among a certain section of people who are constantly on the look out for bad news.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,203
    stodge said:

I don’t think he has been badly affected though. Back at work in days after something like a heavy cold. He thought it notable as he wrongly assumed he could catch it at all, which shows yet again an intelligent person not understanding statistics, and what say 95% means in the round. I think people are being a bit spooked that people are still going to hospital and dying, but the vast majority seem to be either unvaccinated or single jabbed. The chance in IFR/CFR is huge for the older population.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481

NEW THREAD

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Marr was back at work a week later wasn’t he? Isn’t the point of the vaccines to reduce a potent disease to something more manageable?
    My argument to an anti vaxx mate who was saying it wasn't worth getting the jab was its like an angry, hungry Lion is prowling round your town, but you've built a wall at your house it can only just get over with the first jab, then removed its teeth and claws with the second.

Still wouldn't want to come face to face with it, but could have been worse
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

If we reported the cases and deaths of flu in the same way we are reporting cases and deaths of COVID, people would be terrified of flu, and that feer would be hard to 'overcome'

The government simply need to dismantle the regulations and play down repotting of the issue, some will feel unsafe for a bit and stay in there homes then slowly realise the would is not ending and come out.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    BigRich said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

If we reported the cases and deaths of flu in the same way we are reporting cases and deaths of COVID, people would be terrified of flu, and that feer would be hard to 'overcome'

The government simply need to dismantle the regulations and play down repotting of the issue, some will feel unsafe for a bit and stay in there homes then slowly realise the would is not ending and come out.
    I was thinking about this the other day. Your point about flu (and I would add pneumonia) statistical reporting is a strong one. AIUI there was a plan to have the NHS reports separate ‘cases’ from people who were actually getting sick, but I have no idea what happened to it.

I learned only very recently that it is very possible to contract influenza asymptomatically - but it is not perceived as ‘having the flu’ because people are never or only very, very rarely tested for that virus.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    isam said:

Have we discussed this?

The police officer convicted of the manslaughter of Dalian Atkinson had been previously found by a police disciplinary hearing to have committed gross misconduct but was allowed to remain an officer and given a stun gun, it has been revealed.

PC Benjamin Monk was convicted of the manslaughter of Atkinson last week after firing a stun gun into him for 33 seconds, and then kicking him twice in the head after a clash in August 2016.

On Monday at Birmingham crown court a sentencing hearing was told that Monk had two criminal cautions for drunkenness and theft before he joined the police but that they had not been disclosed when he applied to be an officer.

The prosecutor, Alexandra Healy QC, told the court Monk had applied to join the police in 2001. He was cautioned for theft in 1997 while an employee at a Woolworths store. In 1999, Healy told the court, Monk was cautioned after he was found drunk. Neither was disclosed and Monk became an officer with the West Mercia force.

In 2010 Monk went through another vetting process, Healy told the court, and the criminal cautions were discovered by his bosses. Monk faced a police disciplinary hearing charged with gross misconduct, which can lead to dismissal. He was found guilty of the disciplinary charge, which amounted to “discreditable conduct”, Healy told the court.

Instead of being dismissed Monk was given a final written warning.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/28/dalian-atkinson-killing-officer-was-kept-on-despite-gross-misconduct

Dear me, that is outrageous
    Cyclefree's First Rule of Investigations

What is often found when something goes wrong: “…so often, in virtually every case, there were bloody great red flags, or there was a clue that was missed."
This discussion has been closed.