Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 9% of members of the UK cabinet have now tested positive

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited March 2020
    All I can say in these difficult times is: thank god for Poirot and Miss Marple on ITV3 every evening.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    Sunak easily winning the award for "trying not to look like a Tory"
    I see he's dual-screening it like a pro-gamer. Good man.
    pfft progamers have far more than 2 screens. I am a strict amateur and got 3 screens and 2 laptops running
    With one being vertical, of course.
    Why vertical? I don't read enough documents for that :)
    Lot of wasted width on a screen if you're working with fixed-width Fortran code...
    thankfully I have never had to deal with fortran
    That's a classic investment bank setup - two screens is standard
    1 laptop is voice comms, 1 laptop for jabber/skype/discord/web browsing. 3 screens for eve :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    pfft progamers have far more than 2 screens. I am a strict amateur and got 3 screens and 2 laptops running
    Lot of wasted width on a screen if you're working with fixed-width Fortran code...
    1 laptop is voice comms, 1 laptop for jabber/skype/discord/web browsing. 3 screens for eve :)
    I assume that means three instances of excel running? ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    hehe more lotus 123 but I take the point
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

God Beth Rigby is awful.

It follows a pattern at Sky

Simply cannot ask constructive questions but rather looking for a gotcha moment

The media are rapidly becoming the bad guys in this
    They need to switch out the usual Lobby mob with journos of medical or scientific backgrounds.
    Yes that was also a problem with the MMR fiasco. The journalists who knew what they were talking about were kept away from the politicians.
    Classic modern snobbery - the "technical" journalists were judged to be "not up to the big game" because they lacked "breadth, emotional intelligence"*

*code for your guilt of knowing stuff rather than just talking about feelings and whatever pops into your head as a good idea, all the time.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    CatMan said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

4 passengers dead on Holland America cruise ship Zaandam - circa 150 have flu like symptoms and 2 people have tested positive - no one has been able to leave ship since March 14

I think the cruise industry will simply collapse after this. Horrific.
    Maybe Airships will come back...
    I doubt it will be the end of the cruise industry. I do wonder if the very long journeys (30 days plus) will be as popular. The Zaandam passengers have been trapped on the ship for two weeks, mostly confined to cabins.

I think the 7-14 day trips will be fine - short duration, not going too far, plenty of stops.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    I have 6 screens. 30 years programming.

And if you think FORTRAN is fun, try RPG/400 :D
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

He actually looks exactly like a investment banker WFH.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

only 23 years for me but always been c and c++ for work experiemented with a few for home use
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    eek said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Strong bookcase game he has going on.
    Except that it looks like Ikea.
    It's not - I can spot Ikea stuff from a distance and that is custom built (check the short but long shelf behind Rishi's shoulder).

And I think we have 15 Billy bookcases in the house (it used to be more but I binned a few a while back)..
    Don't think it's custom built. Looks like there's a second identical one at an angle in the corner. Some of the small cubbys appear to be unusable because of the way it's been pushed behind the first one.

Poor planning - which is a worry. ;)
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

6 screens - so you are either a trader who is over doing it, or you are in front office ops?

RPG/400 - you were lucky, programmers in my day had plug boards....
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647

Ah -- she would have made a good Only Connect time question for the quiz: Tory MPs who published fiction: Nadine, former pb-er Louise Bagshawe, Boris, and, erm, the fourth one. There must be a fourth. Jacob Rees-Mogg wrote a popular history book that was panned by the critics (and it is quite dull imo). OK scrap the question unless there is or was a fourth fiction author.
    Michael Green?
    Green was a fictitious author rather than an author of fiction iirc. @TheScreamingEagles reminds us Iain Duncan Smith wrote a thriller.
    Are you suggesting his get rich schemes work (for anyone bar the person selling the books)? Perhaps the UK economy is about to boom with all of us following his sage advice? Fiction imo.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    hehe more lotus 123 but I take the point
    Very retro!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    edited March 2020
    The talk of coronavirus being passed on by fecal matter in the previous thread has given me an idea. What if you could immunise against coronavirus by fecal transplant? There are two ways this could work.

1. Cultures from the poo of a sufferer are *ahem* introduced into a non sufferer in suppository form. The non sufferer doesn't get infected but develops an immunity.
    2. The even more ideal option. Cultures from the poo of a healthy recoveree are introduced into a non sufferer by suppository form. The immunity is transferred.

Before anyone thinks I've gone completely off the deep end, fecal transplant is a thing. It's not a recognised treatment, but there are whole clinics for it, and it is widely agreed that the gut microbiome plays a key role in immunity and needs to be better understood.

What do you think?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Strong bookcase game he has going on.
    Except that it looks like Ikea.
    All about the contents not the surrounding. Not a lot of wasted space, organised but with some additional ones piled around so it looks used not just neatly ordered and left alone.
    I ran out of space for my books at home so had to refurbish a new office to store them :wink:
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Six screens? Are you sure you're not a security guard with delusions of grandeur?
  • Options

The talk of coronavirus being passed on by fecal matter in the previous thread has given me an idea. What if you could immunise against coronavirus by fecal transplant? There are two ways this could work.

1. Cultures from the poo of a sufferer are *ahem* introduced into a non sufferer in suppository form. The non sufferer doesn't get infected but develops an immunity.
    2. The even more ideal option. Cultures from the poo of a healthy recoveree are introduced into a non sufferer by suppository form. The immunity is transferred.

Before anyone thinks I've gone completely off the deep end, fecal transplant is a thing. It's not a recognised treatment, but there are whole clinics for it, and it is widely agreed that the gut microbiome plays a key role in immunity and needs to be better understood.

What do you think?

If my doctor ever suggests a fecal transplant I will change doctors
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    stodge said:

CatMan said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

4 passengers dead on Holland America cruise ship Zaandam - circa 150 have flu like symptoms and 2 people have tested positive - no one has been able to leave ship since March 14

I think the cruise industry will simply collapse after this. Horrific.
    Maybe Airships will come back...
    I doubt it will be the end of the cruise industry. I do wonder if the very long journeys (30 days plus) will be as popular. The Zaandam passengers have been trapped on the ship for two weeks, mostly confined to cabins.

I think the 7-14 day trips will be fine - short duration, not going too far, plenty of stops.
    I doubt cruising will resume until late 2020, and most probably 2021. I would hope for, and expect, some changes, such as better screening of passengers both on booking and on boarding, restrictions on taking people already seriously ill, improved medical staffing and facilities on board, air conditioning filtration, staff training, improved cleaning and hygiene, as examples of the top of my head. If they can prove it is safe, there will remain a market for it.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

I'm still using a Sinclair QL and a ZX Spectrum+2. Fantastic machines.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Six screens? Are you sure you're not a security guard with delusions of grandeur?
    Nope

Screen 1 - General surfing, emails, etc
    Screen 2 - IDE
    Screen 3 - Graphical work
    Screen 4 - Database manager
    Screen 5 -Terminal / System monitors
    Screen 6 - Support calls

It is quite usual to need the IDE, DB Manager and System monitors all going at the same time for a given project
  • Options

What do you think?

The result? Congratulations, you've just contracted coronavrius.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

He actually looks exactly like a investment banker WFH.
    Even down to the expression on his face! :lol:
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

What do you think?

🥼💩💉🍑⛔
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Nope

Screen 2 - IDE
    Screen 6 - Support calls
    PB on screen number 1. As it should be.
  • Options

What do you think?

crapsules are definitely a thing for the treatment of GI infections (and, I think, HAI such as c.difficile)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Hi @Charles - sorry to hear of your loss. My best wishes to you & your family.
  • Options

Hi @Charles - sorry to hear of your loss. My best wishes to you & your family.

thank you
  • Options

The talk of coronavirus being passed on by fecal matter in the previous thread has given me an idea. What if you could immunise against coronavirus by fecal transplant?
    What do you think?

It sounds like a sh*t idea...

Hat. Coat. etc....

:D
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

What do you think?

If my doctor ever suggests a fecal transplant I will change doctors
    I appreciate it sounds horrid, but it's not like you're storing your best tablecloths up there is it?
  • Options
    The first journalist to do a live stream from their house without a huge bookcase in the background wins a prize.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Not great numbers out of Italy today.

Although the active cases grew at the slowest rate yet (7.4% per day), the number of new cases hasn't really come down much yet. At 5,774 they are the fourth highest on record.

Now, yes, this is the context of a really high testing number (again over 30,000), so it's not all bad news.

But I would have expected the new cases number to be around the 4,000 number, and it's well above that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Nope

Screen 2 - IDE
    Screen 6 - Support calls
    PB on screen number 1. As it should be.
    The best I ever saw was a trader with 9 screens. Nothing work related on any off them,,,
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Andy_JS said:

The first journalist to do a live stream from their house without a huge bookcase in the background wins a prize.

I'd like one with a large lizard in a cage.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    eristdoof said:

ABZ said:

ABZ said:

felix said:

felix said:

Andrew said:

felix said:

Rate of growth slowing still?

The flattening looks like a trend but still a long way to go - this is unlikely to be over anytime soon.
    On Monday Italy will be three weeks in lockdown. If the cases don't reduce dramtically next week does a lockdown work?
    I think the evidence from China suggests it does. There is really no alternative beyond allowing many more to die.
    I agree the China evidence does, but today over 4000 new cases, that is an incredible amout when everyone has been in lockdown for 17 days.

As mentioned several times, the latency period is long - most of Italy has been in lockdown for 2.5 weeks - so we have to be a little more patient to see if it is working.
    PS Without the lockdown cases would be rising exponentially now, so it is clearly having an effect.

Moreover, to give a hint that things are getting better, in Lombardy they are expanding the people they are going to test and the governor of the region (who has been very pessimistic throughout) has said that he thinks the number of new cases is starting to fall.
    I don't want to be pedantic, but we are already in an exponential growth situation. If you plot a graph of Log(case numbers) against time you will get a rising straight line. That is the definition of exponential.
    The UK graphs aren't quite following a straight line against a logarithmic y axis - there is a small reduction in the gradient.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Once again the blockquotes have gone haywire. I did not write the above!

Cases: There is a very small kink around Mar 21 but overall from march 4th that line is about as straight as you get with real data.
    Deaths: The log curve since March 14th is definately curving down. On the linear y-axis the curve is fairly linear since that date, although the change in reporting times 2 days ago is clearly visible, and makes it harder to spot any curvature. I hope the UK manages to keep this curve linear in the next two weeks, that will be really really good news.
    Blockquotes: there is a bug in the latest release of Vanilla, - sometimes when you do a quote it doubles up on one of the close blockquotes - if you examine the quote, you’ll find two close blockquotes between two adjacent posts, and need to delete one of them. If you don’t spot it before posting you can edit and delete the surplus close blockquote within six minutes.

I have seen some people try to solve the problem by adding an extra close blockquote - this won’t work, as there is one too many already.
  • Options
    RobD said:

What do you think?

Possibly (though not in the case of the second, the worst that would happen there is it just wouldn't work). It would need testing on healthy volunteers.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Rishi has taken Cameron's hug a hoodie policy to heart.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

RobD said:

What do you think?

Possibly (though not in the case of the second, the worst that would happen there is it just wouldn't work). It would need testing on healthy volunteers.
    You need to learn more about biology, starting with the difference between viruses and bacteria.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

What do you think?

After you..
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    If the Italians don't start to see their numbers improve soon they might start to go full fat China.

The key thing the Chinese realised was centralised quarantining, rather than household quarantining, was essential.

A brutal method but once someone within a household gets it, it is almost inevitable the whole household will. Slowing the chain within households stops asymptomatic carriers then going shopping etc.

The other additional method the Chinese adopted was compulsory face masks outside of the home.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Charles said:

What do you think?

crapsules are definitely a thing for the treatment of GI infections (and, I think, HAI such as c.difficile)
    Yes, repopulating the gut bacteria from a healthy donor is quite an interesting idea, and becoming less fringe. Possibly of benefit for a variety of conditions.

I wouldn't try it at home though, and the whole point is establishing normal gut flora, not introducing pathogens!
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441

If the Italians don't start to see their numbers improve soon they might start to go full fat China.

The key thing the Chinese realised was centralised quarantining, rather than household quarantining, was essential.

A brutal method but once someone within a household gets it, it is almost inevitable the whole household will. Slowing the chain within households stops asymptomatic carriers then going shopping etc.

The other additional method the Chinese adopted was compulsory face masks outside of the home.

I think, looking at some of the intermediate numbers from today, which will form the data for tomorrow's count, that there are hints of an improvement coming. Also, they have begun to test people with fewer symptoms in Lombardy - previously they needed to display two symptoms, now they are testing those with only one symptom. That, together with the governor there stating that he thought they were at the beginning of the descent should give us some hope. The latency of this disease is long, so a plateau period is to be expected...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    Who ever pointed out yesterday that he sounds just like Tony Blair has got inside my head. Listen with your eyes closed.

Incidentally, has anyone seen them in the same room? Or has Tony done a Trudeau on us?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Andy_JS said:

I've noticed that too. You never see a pool table or a jukebox. Always the books.

Who are they kidding?
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

6 screens - so you are either a trader who is over doing it, or you are in front office ops?

RPG/400 - you were lucky, programmers in my day had plug boards....
    I did a phd a long time ago and when I started the equipment I was using was controlled with a single board computer with a hex keyboard. Whenever there was a flash over, which happened a few times a week, around a 1000 lines of machine code had to be re-entered because it had no storage. The previous student that ran the equipment could pretty much type it in from memory.

Luckily shortly after I started it was replaced by a model B BBC micro, which was amazing, though it only had 33k of RAM and used 100k floppy drives. You could a lot with it though.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Andy_JS said:

I'd like one with a large lizard in a cage.
    Why would you want your prize to be a large lizard in a cage?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    This thread has

entered strict quarantine.

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    My daughter is a mental health therapist and she is now doing sessions over the phone, she says it’s heart breaking seeing months of work with agoraphobics and other issues is lost as they get hung up on the virus crisis and only reenforces the problems they were trying to overcome.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    Did you ever see the Zero Punctuation review of Eve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US92PR1tI1o
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    Did you ever see the Zero Punctuation review of Eve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US92PR1tI1o
    will watch later
  • Options

RobD said:

What do you think?

You need to learn more about biology, starting with the difference between viruses and bacteria.
    I am always happy to learn, but I know enough to know all the body's systems are interrelated.
This discussion has been closed.