Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 9% of members of the UK cabinet have now tested positive

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Ok. Re ventilators.

If, at the end of the crisis, EU countries have done significantly better at having ventilators available, then we can reasonably consider it was a mistake not to join in the joint procurement efforts. On the other hand, if they haven't, then it will be clear there was no mistake.

The die has been cast. We can work out who was right and who was wrong in about eight weeks.

Yup - atm just a whole load of unnecessary hot air! Conseguire mi abrigo! :smiley:
    er...are you new to PB?

:smile:
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

I’ve done an emoji round:

1. 🦶🦵 🅱️🗣 (History will be kind to this leader)
    2. 👉👌😴 🥳 (Champagne Club)
    3. 🤥🤗 🗳🗳 (Architects of austerity)
    4. 🖼📹 📷💁‍♂️ (Won a referendum)
    5. 🌲🌲 0️⃣5️⃣ (Cereal Rebel)
    6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)
    7. 🚗📈 🚽🍑 (Greta before Greta was cool)
    8. 🔑👂 ⭐️👩‍👦‍👦 (Mr Remain)
    9. 🦈😬 🇦🇺👼 (Long-term economic plan)

Answers on a post card.
    Disclaimer: some of these are really shit.

Very creative!
    1. Toe-knee Blair
    4. David Cameron?
    8. Keir Starmer

Correct :D
    The intended audience are not huge politics nerds so I’ve had to go fairly basic.
    7 Caroline Lucas
    9 George Osbourne?
    6 Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eristdoof said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

The Cabinet is going to be a political version of the Diamond Princess.

We can watch the rats of infection, severe illness and so on, and extrapolate to the larger population

Hopefully the rats of infection will tail off.
    I am sure it is an issue gnawing at their thoughts. They will need to hole up for a while.
    I hope that's a sign you're feeling better, Foxy!

Just about to start a remote meeting. Could be a total disaster as I've never used the tech for group chat before.
    Yes, bright enough to potter in the garden. It is a bit up and down though.
    IF I had this disease back in January, one of the distinct symptoms is how it fluctuates. You feel terrible, you feel better, you feel terrible again. V weird.

My wife told me last night that when she caught what I had, she had a coughing fit so bad she nearly fainted on the Tube (she'd never told me this before). In retrospect it does seem like we might have had it, maybe the antibody tests will tell me, when they are released.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Severaal people have posted wondering if their flu in January/December/November was Covid-19.

I have to say this is very, very unlikely that you had Covid-19.
    My evidence is that the virus is clearly very contageous: even the PM has caught it. But in February there were thousands of tests being carried out and only 100 or so came back positive. The negatives would have included a lot of random testing, and people presenting with flu symptoms wanting to know if it was Flu or Covid.

On top of that in over half of all the early cases there was an obviuos trace back to China. Then there was an obvoius trace back to Italy.

All of these point against the idea that Coronavirus was spreading widely in the UK undetected before mid-February, and the picture is similar in all European countries, just with a different take off date.
    Why "even the PM"? Surely, given the number of people he meets, he's one of the most likely people to get it in the country.
    I doubt if Boris spends his rush hours on the Tube.
    Churchill did though. I know, 'cause I watched that movie.
    Boris always got about London on his bike before becoming PM. It is one of the good things about him. I notice that bike shops have exempted from the close down order which is great for me because I've just had a puncture which my bike shop has fixed this afternoon.
    My daily bike ride is keeping me sane. And there is a bike shop up the hill in case of puncture.
    You guys get punctures fixed at a bike shop. I thought I was the pits at diy but...
  • Options
    PeteDPeteD Posts: 8

6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)

Oh, Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    edited March 2020

Answers on a post card.

9 is George Osborne.

Did not fix the NHS roof when the sun was shining (i.e. when we didn't have a deadly virus going around).
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

What price one or both of the following?

- Rigid enforcement of EU procurement rules result in them ending up with Chinese produced ventilators, which turn out to be not fit for purpose
    - The Wallonian government delaying signing of the contract so they can debate whether this is really in the best interests of Wallonia

I don't think this is subject to national parliament approval (unlike some trade deals), so I don't think the latter is possible.
    Probably true, but I didn't really ever suspect otherwise. It's much more likely that the deal will be agreed but then delivery delayed because of whatever processes need to be followed before the contract can be signed.

The thing that most concerns me right now is that the UK Government apparently made up some nonsense about an email going missing to distract the press from the main story. But, it's happened so many times that maybe it shouldn't anymore.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    PeteD said:

6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)

Oh, Jeremy Corbyn?
    Can't be him, he keeps telling everybody who will listen he is winning.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    kinabalu said:

6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)

Answers on a post card.

9 is George Osborne.

Did not fix the NHS when the sun was shining (i.e. when we didn't have a deadly virus going around).
    Give the NHS £50bn a year more and within 5 years it'll be screaming out for more cash.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

felix said:

Quite why anyone thinks we should have added an extra layer of EU bureaucracy and EU politics into our urgent sourcing of more ventilators is a mystery to me.

I think you are right. Indeed the leaders' conference call yesterday has also gone very badly with the blocking of the Coronabond idea and some unpleasant comments from the Dutch about Spain. All a bit unedifying sadly.
    The article I saw (which I think you linked?) had the Dutch opposing mutualised debt.

His criticism was that Spain should have run a budget surplus during the last 10 years and so it would have been able to afford it itself.

A little callous, perhaps, but not really "unpleasant". Frankly the whole "coronabond" idea strikes me as the people who have always wanted mutualised debt trying to avoid a good crisis going to waste.

Were there more comments that I missed?
    The phrase "Now is not the time..." comes to mind.

What was it the chap said about "When my neighbours house is on fire, I lend him my hose, not quibble about the price"?
    I'm not sure whether that is in favour of coronabonds or not?

The issue is Spain, Italy and France were trying to push through a novel programme which Holland and Germany have opposed for a decade (basically Holland and Germany being on the hook for Spain's borrowing).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    felix said:

On today's figures for Spain they definitely show a smaller rate of increase - pleasingly in our relatively unaffected area as well as the others. I notice that Murcia's were less good but most seemed to flattening the curve somewhat. The UK is currently rising much more steeply but starting from a lower base they should, given the lockdown, escape a little relatively lightly. If my sister is typical - they are absolutely terrifed and not leavnig the house at all - they live in Sunderland - a city of 300,000+ with some 27 cases! I have tried to calm her nerves.

Good stay safe.

When did Spain get locked down?

I personally think its time to lockdown London with immediate effect
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Sandpit said:

felix said:
    That's rather harsh on planks, comparing them to those two.
    Isn't it normally two short planks?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Chameleon said:

kinabalu said:

6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)

Answers on a post card.

9 is George Osborne.

Did not fix the NHS when the sun was shining (i.e. when we didn't have a deadly virus going around).
    Give the NHS £50bn a year more and within 5 years it'll be screaming out for more cash.
    You think it'll take them 5 years? I make it minutes.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    @Gallowgate - thanks for the few minutes of entertainment to work some of those out!
  • Options
    Apparently Ed Miliband's favourite shop, Brighthouse, is going busto.
  • Options
    kjh said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eristdoof said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

We can watch the rats of infection, severe illness and so on, and extrapolate to the larger population

I am sure it is an issue gnawing at their thoughts. They will need to hole up for a while.

Just about to start a remote meeting. Could be a total disaster as I've never used the tech for group chat before.
    IF I had this disease back in January, one of the distinct symptoms is how it fluctuates. You feel terrible, you feel better, you feel terrible again. V weird.

My wife told me last night that when she caught what I had, she had a coughing fit so bad she nearly fainted on the Tube (she'd never told me this before). In retrospect it does seem like we might have had it, maybe the antibody tests will tell me, when they are released.

Severaal people have posted wondering if their flu in January/December/November was Covid-19.

My evidence is that the virus is clearly very contageous: even the PM has caught it. But in February there were thousands of tests being carried out and only 100 or so came back positive. The negatives would have included a lot of random testing, and people presenting with flu symptoms wanting to know if it was Flu or Covid.

On top of that in over half of all the early cases there was an obviuos trace back to China. Then there was an obvoius trace back to Italy.

All of these point against the idea that Coronavirus was spreading widely in the UK undetected before mid-February, and the picture is similar in all European countries, just with a different take off date.
    Why "even the PM"? Surely, given the number of people he meets, he's one of the most likely people to get it in the country.
    Boris always got about London on his bike before becoming PM. It is one of the good things about him. I notice that bike shops have exempted from the close down order which is great for me because I've just had a puncture which my bike shop has fixed this afternoon.
    My daily bike ride is keeping me sane. And there is a bike shop up the hill in case of puncture.
    You guys get punctures fixed at a bike shop. I thought I was the pits at diy but...
    As it stands I have no puncture repair kit. I could a) buy one off AMZN (do the local shop out of a sale plus have a package to deal with) or b) buy one now from the bike shop (= going in there in person) or c) wait until I have a puncture (might be stranded mid-ride).

I am on c) atm although might move to b) as a precaution.
  • Options

6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)

Answers on a post card.

6 is Jeremy Corbyn.

GE loser, yes, but won the argument and moved the Overton Window.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)

Answers on a post card.

6 is Jeremy Corbyn.

GE loser, yes, but won the argument and moved the Overton Window.
    Where did he move it to? The same salvage yard containing the Edstone?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Ireland had a big jump today ?

Irish number updates have typically been at their evening press conference, between the six-one and nine pm news programmes on RTÉ.
    I was looking at the charts below - a real uptick in their plot.
    They had a shocking day yesterday. Must be getting on to two weeks since they closed the schools.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)

Answers on a post card.

7: Caroline Lucas.
  • Options
    felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Quite why anyone thinks we should have added an extra layer of EU bureaucracy and EU politics into our urgent sourcing of more ventilators is a mystery to me.

I think you are right. Indeed the leaders' conference call yesterday has also gone very badly with the blocking of the Coronabond idea and some unpleasant comments from the Dutch about Spain. All a bit unedifying sadly.
    The article I saw (which I think you linked?) had the Dutch opposing mutualised debt.

His criticism was that Spain should have run a budget surplus during the last 10 years and so it would have been able to afford it itself.

A little callous, perhaps, but not really "unpleasant". Frankly the whole "coronabond" idea strikes me as the people who have always wanted mutualised debt trying to avoid a good crisis going to waste.

Callous is a word often used instead of unpleasant - In the current climate in Spain I'd happily use both.
    So do you think that Coronabonds should be introduced? Rather than - say - a bilateral loan?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kjh said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eristdoof said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

As it stands I have no puncture repair kit. I could a) buy one off AMZN (do the local shop out of a sale plus have a package to deal with) or b) buy one now from the bike shop (= going in there in person) or c) wait until I have a puncture (might be stranded mid-ride).

I carry a spare inner tube (quicker) as well as a repair kit.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

What was it the chap said about "When my neighbours house is on fire, I lend him my hose, not quibble about the price"?

The issue is Spain, Italy and France were trying to push through a novel programme which Holland and Germany have opposed for a decade (basically Holland and Germany being on the hook for Spain's borrowing).
    Not to be pedantic, but calling the Netherlands "Holland" is a bit like calling the UK "England", something likely to touch on some peoples' sensibilities.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441

felix said:

On today's figures for Spain they definitely show a smaller rate of increase - pleasingly in our relatively unaffected area as well as the others. I notice that Murcia's were less good but most seemed to flattening the curve somewhat. The UK is currently rising much more steeply but starting from a lower base they should, given the lockdown, escape a little relatively lightly. If my sister is typical - they are absolutely terrifed and not leavnig the house at all - they live in Sunderland - a city of 300,000+ with some 27 cases! I have tried to calm her nerves.

Good stay safe.

Spain started properly locking down on 16 March. I also think, since we start from a lower base that the UK should have fewer cases than Spain, all other things being equal.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Its Gove tonight apparently answering the dickhead questions.

As the dickhead of dickheads he should manage it very well.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)

Answers on a post card.

Very creative!
    1. Toe-knee Blair
    4. David Cameron?
    8. Keir Starmer

6 Germany Cor - Bin
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Given that the UK has left the EU, why would it participate anyway? It has clearly got its own scheme going on.
    Not really an either/or, is it? There is nothing at all to prevent participating in a joint procurement AND making own, additional arrangements (as other countries are doing).
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.
    I don't think you understand how joint procurement processes work.

There is a competition among firms to meet the (joint) order and the offer is either acceptable in which case you sign the contract or not in which case you don't.

Participating was a no-brainer in this case and it is a major concern that the UK (apparently due to some kind of error on our part) didn't.
    Why was it a no brainer? Time was of the essence so why outsource our order to third parties who might prioritise early shipments to Italy etc and leave us at the back of the queue?

We needed ventilators. We got ventilators. Job done.
    Because you can easily do both.

Participating in a procurement process doesn't prevent you from pursuing other options. If the lead times promised by the successful tenderer are unacceptable, you just don't sign the contract, and there is nothing to prevent you from pursuing other options, even as the procurement proceeds.

Also, it is not (yet) clear that we do have sufficient ventilators. The Dyson order may stumble, and the numbers may be insufficient for our needs. We'd clearly be in a better place with the Dyson order but with the opportunity to get more from other suppliers.
    We aren't just buying from Dyson. We've got a considerable number coming in from many sources now.
    How many and more crucialy by when seemed to be answers the Business Secretary was completely incapable of answering last night on Newsnight. In fact he resorted to calling questions of this nature "sniping from the sidelines" Maitless pointed out its what is most important and therefore her job.
    ABZ said:

felix said:

Good stay safe.

Spain started properly locking down on 16 March. I also think, since we start from a lower base that the UK should have fewer cases than Spain, all other things being equal.
    So if the rise in cases is slowing after 12 days thats quite good news (by current standards)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Post 1997, how many people have been forced to resign from the Cabinet more than once?

Blunkett.
    Mandelson resigned about 3 times IIRC.
    But was he forced to resign - or did he just resign to spend more time with his familiars....
  • Options
    kjh said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eristdoof said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

You are a far more adept cyclist than I am. I did actually ask the shop a couple of weeks ago about an inner tube but, my bike being ancient and shit, and their bikes being fancy and state of the art, they didn't have the right one. They gave absolutely no hint that they were at all interested in ordering one. But that was then. This is now!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Not to be pedantic, but calling the Netherlands "Holland" is a bit like calling the UK "England", something likely to touch on some peoples' sensibilities.
    Given the majority on here think England is the UK, do not be surprised about ignorance re pesky foreigners.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Don't be pedantic then.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    5. is really easy
    2. is my favorite one
    3. maybe the hardest?
  • Options

6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)

Answers on a post card.

8 is Key-ear Star-ma....
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Which it should probably get.

You need to run excess capacity - an NHS "surplus" if you like - in the good (epidemic free) times so that when the bad times come (e.g. now) you can handle it without trashing the economy and abolishing personal freedom.

Prudence. Risk management. Sound finances.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Given the majority on here think England is the UK, do not be surprised about ignorance re pesky foreigners.
    Now now malc- nobody can survive this crisis without the 4 nations pulling as one - the Tunnocks teacakes are going down a treat here for a start.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kjh said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eristdoof said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

You are a far more adept cyclist than I am. I did actually ask the shop a couple of weeks ago about an inner tube but, my bike being ancient and shit, and their bikes being fancy and state of the art, they didn't have the right one. They gave absolutely no hint that they were at all interested in ordering one. But that was then. This is now!
    If you saw me you wouldn't say that!

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

*sensitivities
  • Options

5. is really easy
    2. is my favorite one
    3. maybe the hardest?

5 Trees May not win this game?
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

The only person I know of to think that is Hitler. Desist now Malcolm.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Now now malc- nobody can survive this crisis without the 4 nations pulling as one - the Tunnocks teacakes are going down a treat here for a start.
    Just ordered some Scotch Eggs
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Ok. Re ventilators.

If, at the end of the crisis, EU countries have done significantly better at having ventilators available, then we can reasonably consider it was a mistake not to join in the joint procurement efforts. On the other hand, if they haven't, then it will be clear there was no mistake.

The die has been cast. We can work out who was right and who was wrong in about eight weeks.

Yup - atm just a whole load of unnecessary hot air! Conseguire mi abrigo! :smiley:
    er...are you new to PB?

:smile:
    Que que Soy Manuel! :smiley:
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2020
    Italian numbers will come out earlier today. At 17:30 pm local time. Press conference has been scheduled earlier because at 18:00 we all need to switch to the Pope holding a special prayer for the end of the epidemy and giving out indulgence.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Leavers: those mad Remoaners making everything about Brexit.

Also Leavers: on no account should Britain participate with the EU in any aspect of tackling Covid-19.

This decision to spurn ventilators procured through the offices of the EU really could result in unnecessary deaths.

Or maybe, just maybe pooling resources doesn't make sense for a country that has manufacturing capacity of its own.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Don't be pedantic then.

I didn't think I was.
    And I still think that it is a valid point to make, beyond any pedantry, given how much impetus you and many of your countrymen have placed on questions of national and quasi-national identity, in the past and in the present.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

*sensitivities
    Thank you.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

You need to run excess capacity - an NHS "surplus" if you like - in the good (epidemic free) times so that when the bad times come (e.g. now) you can handle it without trashing the economy and abolishing personal freedom.

Has Boris been spending £350m a week extra on the NHS since we left the EU?
  • Options
    Charles said:

felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Callous is a word often used instead of unpleasant - In the current climate in Spain I'd happily use both.
    So do you think that Coronabonds should be introduced? Rather than - say - a bilateral loan?
    I live in Europe - I think the EU should show solidarity with all member states, especially when some are in exceptional difficulties, including Spain, Italy and France. Not to do so represents a collective failure.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

That doesn't actually work in practice, though. Even model lefty social democracies are trashing their economies and abolishing personal freedoms as we speak.

So our penny-pinching is a true economy, rather than a false one.
  • Options
    Twitter reports that Chris Whitty has tested positive. Coronavirus is running rampant through Westminster.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    Will anyone be left to run the country next week?
  • Options
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I thought a certain bluntness with the truth was a Dutch national characteristic? In any case, it's not intended to be offensive - it's a synecdoche.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

*sensitivities
    Sensibilities.

There are English dictionaries online. Consult them.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

Like that Yes Minister episode - the hospital with no patients - awards for cleanliness.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

You mean just like the corner shop?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    GIN1138 said:

The absentee Sinn Fein MPs
  • Options

Twitter reports that Chris Whitty has tested positive. Coronavirus is running rampant through Westminster.

We're doomed, DOOOOOMED. :o
  • Options

Testing the herd immunity strategy...

More seriously this is really bad. We can ill afford to have the egg-heads out of action.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

*sensitivities
    Thank you.
    Don't, he is wrong.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

Remind us which of the advanced economies are not on virtual lockdown right now?

No doubt you want a snowplough on every street corner as well in case of a bad winter.
  • Options
    felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I live in Europe - I think the EU should show solidarity with all member states, especially when some are in exceptional difficulties, including Spain, Italy and France. Not to do so represents a collective failure.
    But we literally just had the debt crisis which in part was caused risk effectively being pooled when it wasn't in fact.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nadine....
  • Options

More seriously this is really bad. We can ill afford to have the egg-heads out of action.
    It's not all bad; I hear he has deputy egg-heads.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

Do you know the rules in this case?

It could be very easily a requirement that you don't procure independently.

Other EU countries appear to be ordering ventilators through other routes as well which suggests there are no restrictions on procuring independently.

The EU Commission also has I think stepped in to stop/reduce Germany and France's ban on export of necessary medical equipment to ensure solidarity within the bloc.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-draegerwerk-ventil/germany-italy-rush-to-buy-life-saving-ventilators-as-manufacturers-warn-of-shortages-idUSKBN210362

https://www.bioworld.com/articles/433964-covid-19-is-causing-supply-issues-for-ventilators-in-france

https://twitter.com/ThierryBreton/status/1239159582821408770?s=20
    The first article is from March 5, though (the second is less specific on whether independent orders have been placed).

The second article mentioned that Getinge produces at Solna, so Sweden. You also have Hamilton in Switzerland, Draeger and Lowenstein in Germany and Smiths in Luton
    More recent googling also suggests countries are ordering directly:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/brief-sweden-orders-200-ventilators-from/brief-sweden-orders-200-ventilators-from-getinge-health-minister-spokeswoman-idUSFWN2BK19I
    https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/wurth-elektronik-produces-pcbs-2020-03/
  • Options

We could lose politicians and journos, but god knows we need Chris Whitty. This is not good at all, but does demonstrate to the dimmer members of the public that this thing is very contagious.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    French lockdown officialy extended until the 15th.
  • Options
    CMO has symptoms but no test results yet.
  • Options

We could lose politicians and journos, but god knows we need Chris Whitty. This is not good at all, but does demonstrate to the dimmer members of the public that this thing is very contagious.
    Having the journos self isolating for 7 days, no 14 days, no lets be safe side, 3 months, would be an improvement.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I thought a certain bluntness with the truth was a Dutch national characteristic? In any case, it's not intended to be offensive - it's a synecdoche.
    Bluntness maybe, misappropriation less so. Holland is not really synonymous with the Netherlands, ask any Frysians or Limburgers, you might be surprised of their level of bluntness.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I guess hardly surprising
  • Options

6. 🇩🇪 😱🗑 (Serial loser)

Answers on a post card.

8 is Key-ear Star-ma....
    5 is Trees-a May
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

But we literally just had the debt crisis which in part was caused risk effectively being pooled when it wasn't in fact.
    ?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

Given that places with 4 or 5 times the excess icu capacity to us are still struggling looks to me that they were hosing money for no good reason as come the crunch they still weren't able to cope.

All this excess capacity needs to be payed for. Millions of people already just on the tipping point between managing and not managing. a couple of % extra tax would tip them over.

Most people who go on about an extra % for this and an extra % for that on tax I can't help noticing are the comfortably off where if it makes a difference at all they may buy couple of less bottles of wine a month. They generally don't fall into the I can make the money last by eating beans on toast the last few days of the month.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:
    The inevitable conclusion of today's news seems to be that Boris Johnson, Angela Rayner, Matt Hancock, and Chris Whitty were all doing something in close proximity together 5 days ago, possibly in violation of social distancing rules... :wink:
  • Options
    Lets look positively. Hopefully they all suffer only mild symptoms and should be ok in a week knowing these people are all immune when the absolute worst hits.
  • Options

Works for the NHS probably can't get a test...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Chances of the losers' speeches leaking?

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1243567415193219075?s=20
  • Options

That doesn't actually work in practice, though. Even model lefty social democracies are trashing their economies and abolishing personal freedoms as we speak.

So our penny-pinching is a true economy, rather than a false one.

But if I offer you the Tardis and the chance to have been running ICU capacity at 10 times current levels for the last 10 years? I think you will take that chance and the net result is to save us all a fortune. It's the same rationale as for making banks hold excess capital. Black swan insurance. Fixing the roof when the sun is shining. Saving for a rainy day. Many a mickle makes a mackle.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's not all bad; I hear he has deputy egg-heads.
    Time to bring Daphne out of retirement along with Kevin from the show. That'll fix it.
  • Options
    Egg-head #2 says he is at the moment still clear...

https://twitter.com/uksciencechief/status/1243549483130028032?s=20
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Don't be pedantic then.

I didn't think I was.
    And I still think that it is a valid point to make, beyond any pedantry, given how much impetus you and many of your countrymen have placed on questions of national and quasi-national identity, in the past and in the present.
    "Not to be pedantic" suggests that you did know you were being pedantic

I know perfectly well the difference between Holland and The Netherlands. However, I was on a mobile device and frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Generally, though, you do give the impression of being very spiky and Deutschland Uber Alles
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

Like that Yes Minister episode - the hospital with no patients - awards for cleanliness.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5zEb1oS9A
  • Options
    felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I agree with that. I'm not sure that accepting every bad idea is the right response though.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Bluntness maybe, misappropriation less so. Holland is not really synonymous with the Netherlands, ask any Frysians or Limburgers, you might be surprised of their level of bluntness.
    I was so hoping you'd ask me what a synecdoche was, so that I could deploy my favourite rhetorical-device-related joke... :disappointed:
  • Options
    Coronavirus was discovered in the U.S. on the SAME DAY it was discovered in South Korea.

They mobilized their entire society and it is now contained.

Trump called it a hoax and it’s now out of control.

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Don't be pedantic then.

I didn't think I was.
    "Not to be pedantic" suggests that you did know you were being pedantic

I know perfectly well the difference between Holland and The Netherlands. However, I was on a mobile device and frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Generally, though, you do give the impression of being very spiky and Deutschland Uber Alles
    Clever to link GWTW and a discussion about ventialtors. Kudos!
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

Do you know the rules in this case?

It could be very easily a requirement that you don't procure independently.

Other EU countries appear to be ordering ventilators through other routes as well which suggests there are no restrictions on procuring independently.

The EU Commission also has I think stepped in to stop/reduce Germany and France's ban on export of necessary medical equipment to ensure solidarity within the bloc.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-draegerwerk-ventil/germany-italy-rush-to-buy-life-saving-ventilators-as-manufacturers-warn-of-shortages-idUSKBN210362

https://www.bioworld.com/articles/433964-covid-19-is-causing-supply-issues-for-ventilators-in-france

https://twitter.com/ThierryBreton/status/1239159582821408770?s=20
    The first article is from March 5, though (the second is less specific on whether independent orders have been placed).

The second article mentioned that Getinge produces at Solna, so Sweden. You also have Hamilton in Switzerland, Draeger and Lowenstein in Germany and Smiths in Luton
    More recent googling also suggests countries are ordering directly:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/brief-sweden-orders-200-ventilators-from/brief-sweden-orders-200-ventilators-from-getinge-health-minister-spokeswoman-idUSFWN2BK19I
    https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/wurth-elektronik-produces-pcbs-2020-03/
    That was the other question I asked when people first started posting this. Do we know which countries are participating? (I specifically asked about Germany and Sweden because of their capabilities).

The press articles say "most" EU countries are.
  • Options
    felix said:

MaxPB said:

felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:

?
    The debt crisis was caused by periphery bonds being rated the same risk as Germany, when they weren't. Those countries used the German credit card and went crazy with it, then we got the sovereign debt crisis. While I completely understand nations needing to kick start their economies in a couple of months (the UK included) it's not fair on the German taxpayer that they should pay for Italian or Spanish fiscal stimulus without having a say on how their money will be spent by getting a vote in Spain or Italy.

The EU will always try and use more Europe as the solution, maybe it is here, maybe it's for nations to get out of the straight jacket that is the Euro. The issue is that what we have now with the leaders of one nation asking for citizens of another to write them a blank cheque is completely wrong.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

This isn't funny. I am reading Camus's The Plague.

It starts with rats dying in the streets.
    Station 11 by Emily St John Mandel for me. 99p on Kindle Monthly deals, set in a post pandemic dystopia, though one with an appreciation of theatre.
    It was pretentious as hell as I recall. A bit undeveloped plot wise. Decent enough.
  • Options
    isam said:

Has Boris been spending £350m a week extra on the NHS since we left the EU?

That's a good question. I don't know. I do know that we lag behind the likes of Germany on health spend. Still, it's our choice. We're a democracy.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leavers: those mad Remoaners making everything about Brexit.

Also Leavers: on no account should Britain participate with the EU in any aspect of tackling Covid-19.

This decision to spurn ventilators procured through the offices of the EU really could result in unnecessary deaths.

Or maybe, just maybe pooling resources doesn't make sense for a country that has manufacturing capacity of its own.
    If you only look for your own advantage then yes, you might be correct.

I write this from a country that had a considerable headstart in terms of existing supply and , maybe more importantly, the manufacturing base to quickly churn out more of anything useful. My country and others reflexively resorted to an export ban, to secure their position. That maybe understandable in the first moment but on further reflexion it might not be the morally right thing to exclude other, less fortunate countries.

Further, the proposed scheme was not so much focused on merely distributing future supplies, but on increasing overall industrial output by transnational cooperation. A win-win aspect in addition to some zero-sum game. May sound familiar.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    I am reminded of an Irish Republican who I once debated online. He insisted that everything bad that happened in the troubles including any action of the PIRA anyone didn't like, was done by the EvulBritSecurocrats.

I pointed out if they actually ran the PIRA, UVF, SDLP, UUP, Sein Fein & the Irish Government all at the same time etc that surely that they must be geniuses on an unheard of level. Why not join them?
This discussion has been closed.