Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2019 polling race: The pollsters ranked by the CON lead

Comments

• Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    HaroldO said:

No one knows anything.

And isn't it great? Democracy in action.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

You know the image coming out of both sides is remarkably mixed, doesn’t really scream landslide to me

It’s tough, though isn’t it. My first successful local election campaign, I remember dragging a young couple away from their dinner with fifteen minutes until polls closed, persuading them with my account of how the election was on a knife edge and promising to get them back home before their dinner got cold. Then went to the count and we won by over a thousand.

I did write them a nice personal letter afterwards, a mixture of apology and thanks.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    I'm sick of hearing how everyone under 30 is going to vote Labour. It's such a lazy cliche.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

HYUFD said:

Labour reportedly starting to pull activists out of Chingford and Woodford Green and send them to Barnet

How you feeling about Chingford? TCTC?
    Tory vote coming out but will keep going until 9pm
    Slacker. Polls close at 10.
    I have to get back for a meal and prep for EF count
    Typical Tory, spend the last hour washing your hair and ironing your shirt. Those Momentum guys will keep going until the very last minute.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm sick of hearing how everyone under 30 is going to vote Labour. It's such a lazy cliche.

It's also true. You should see my facebook newsfeed.
  • Options
    Don’t you think it’s odd we’re hearing of massive progress in these low target list seats and yet nothing about the actual key marginals?

What if the gains the Tories make actually turn out to be incredibly random but crucially small?

If they’re getting seats on their target list at over 100, the polls have to be incredibly wrong the other way surely.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    nichomar said:

I’ve been involved in elections since 1983 and have never ever know what was going on anywhere than in the patch that my committee room covered and that was open to interpretation. I doubt if anyone really knows what’s happening and all these stories are complete and utter bollocks. They help pass the time away but get real nobody really knows

Completely agree. Even people at the count at 2 in the morning don't always know what's going on, after they've already been counting votes for 4 hours.

It's entertaining to read all the rumours and gossip but they mean very little.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Massive turnout here in Stockton South. Have just gone through the Thornaby polling stations data and it's off the chart for even a general election. Only comparable was the referendum

The Survation poll suggested a very tight contest in Stockton South.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Artist said:

Tories confident of making gains from Labour in the Midlands. They are reporting positive news for them against Ruth Smeeth in Stoke North and Valerie Vaz in Walsall South

But Dominic Raab is facing a massive fight in Esher. One Tory source puts it at 50-50

From Alex Wickham

Walsall South is 124 on the Tory target list, though a very heavy leave seat.
    Back in the days when we understood politics, both Walsall seats were reasonably comfortably though not overwhelmingly Lab. South had a bigger middle class but was also more heavily Asian. It has swung away from the Conservatives as north has swung towards. I'd be amazed if it was close.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

HYUFD said:

Labour reportedly starting to pull activists out of Chingford and Woodford Green and send them to Barnet

IDS is a goner or they’ve given up
    NOOOOOO! Please say it's not true that's just awful. Please please no I beg you. Pleeaaase.

Oh. Goner you said? Ah. Sorry I thought you'd written Gooner.

Goner? Oh that's ok.
  • Options
    tyson said:

BBC Radio 6 doing it's bit
    Now playing A live version of Billy Bragg's New England...

Come on....fuck the Tories.....

There’s a Radio 6?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

HYUFD said:

Well that’s how it used to be but today’s youth too keen to knock off and go down the pub.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Is that because they don't think they can win Chingford or because they think they've already done enough to win it?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Artist said:

Tories confident of making gains from Labour in the Midlands. They are reporting positive news for them against Ruth Smeeth in Stoke North and Valerie Vaz in Walsall South

But Dominic Raab is facing a massive fight in Esher. One Tory source puts it at 50-50

From Alex Wickham

It could be a question of whether a few losses in commuter Remainia are sufficient to offset some Northern gains.
    If the Tories are taking seats up to 124, they won't mourn Raab as a bit of collateral damage......
  • Options

HaroldO said:

No one knows anything.

Quite so. The ramping on here is ludicrous.
    FTFY
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    How many of us are feeling:

https://www.twitter.com/Sara_Rose_G/status/1205179695643463691

Even if Corbyn is kept out, I will never trust my fellow British Millenials again.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Not voted yet. Two hour commute between me and ballot box.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

Just torn up my ballot paper.

If you ask nicely they might give you a new one.

By the way who are Gwlad,Gwlad? I didn't know who they were so they didn't get my vote. Should I have buyer's remorse?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's also true. You should see my facebook newsfeed.
    I wouldn't believe anything I read on Facebook.
  • Options
    In terms of pulling out of seats, Momentum and Labour don’t tend to do that unless they have a lot of confidence they’re secure.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    My partner normally votes LD, she voted Tory today to my surprise to stop Corbyn
  • Options

Massive turnout here in Stockton South. Have just gone through the Thornaby polling stations data and it's off the chart for even a general election. Only comparable was the referendum

Your candidate even asked people not to vote for him yesterday? Or have i got wrong Constituency?
    Yes we did that
  • Options
    It’s not like they don’t have enough activists. In Chingford they have hundreds. My assumption would be they’ve won it
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

In terms of pulling out of seats, Momentum and Labour don’t tend to do that unless they have a lot of confidence they’re secure.

Is that right? :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

HYUFD said:

I have to get back for a meal and prep for EF count
    Real campaigners have a packed supper for God’s sake next you are going to tell me you need a shower!
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Artist said:

From Alex Wickham

It could be a question of whether a few losses in commuter Remainia are sufficient to offset some Northern gains.
    If the Tories are taking seats up to 124, they won't mourn Raab as a bit of collateral damage......
    He might still hold on!
  • Options

I’m heading to vote in 45 minutes or so. The red suit may deter any coded information about voting speed being given. But I shall do my best to get that vital information.

Are you still wearing the green jumper?

Why am I asking someone I only know online what they are wearing?
    No, I couldn’t risk strangers hanging tinsel and baubles on me.
    😀
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

It’s not like they don’t have enough activists. In Chingford they have hundreds. My assumption would be they’ve won it

I'm shocked.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

ydoethur said:

By the way who are Gwlad,Gwlad. I didn't know who they were so they didn't get my vote. Should I have buyer's remorse?
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I am very gwlad you asked it.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

nichomar said:

I’ve been involved in elections since 1983 and have never ever know what was going on anywhere than in the patch that my committee room covered and that was open to interpretation. I doubt if anyone really knows what’s happening and all these stories are complete and utter bollocks. They help pass the time away but get real nobody really knows

Completely agree. Even people at the count at 2 in the morning don't always know what's going on, after they've already been counting votes for 4 hours.

Ah yes, later in the night we'll be getting the 'Party X looking very glum at the count in constituency Y, they think they've lost by 4,000 votes' reports, followed by Party X winning easily. It's a noble tradition of election nights.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nichomar said:

By 2 pm, I had no idea whether Leave or Remain had won in Luton. By 4 pm, I thought it was about 54/46 Leave. It turned out to be 57/43.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    edited December 2019

“Personally, for me, it’s very clear cut. Jeremy Corbyn is a man of hope, a man of justice, a man of equality. And the other guy is a f***ing Prick” - Stormzy

That'll be the homophobe Stormzy? But that's OK, he's part of your tribe

Edit to add link https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/11/21/stormzy-has-posted-homophobic-tweets-calling-people-faggots-and-proper-gay/
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Everyone under 30 I know appears to have voted. Even those who didn’t vote in the EU ref. Primarily for Labour.

Yep

And do we really think that kind of turnout was factored into the opinion polls?

No. Me neither.
  • Options
    Thank goodness for democracy, where everyone's vote is worth the same. Unlike on social media where the people who make the most noise get the most attention and quiet people are ignored.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Gabs3 said:

Even if Corbyn is kept out, I will never trust my fellow British Millenials again.

Labour voters are either anti-Semites, or don't mind a bit of vile anti-Semitism.

That's the only conclusion.
  • Options
    In my view, Conservatives will win a majority of 40-50 seats. A 1.61 or even a 1.5 as it has now gone down to is a ridiculously good price.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Is that because they don't think they can win Chingford or because they think they've already done enough to win it?
    I suspect as they realise it is lost, Tory vote coming out here
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Just under three hours until the Big Bong! :D
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

NOOOOOO! Please say it's not true that's just awful. Please please no I beg you. Pleeaaase.

Goner? Oh that's ok.
    LOL

Could Boris disaster last few days and Corbyns strong finish have been inspired by their internal polling?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Just under three hours until the Big Bong! :D

I need a hit now!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Jonathan said:

Not voted yet. Two hour commute between me and ballot box.

It could be tight then. If Boris scrapes a one seat majority we know who to blame.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HY bullish on Chingford!
  • Options
    This is the first election in my adult life where I haven't really got involved due to disillusionment with the whole politics thing.

I now deeply regret that decision. Sitting around nervously with nothing to do, looking at the clock, digesting all the rumours and ramping... it's a fucking nightmare. It's torture. It's like watching your team defending a 1-0 lead and the fourth official shows 8 minutes stoppage time.

Getting out on the ground takes the edge off and provides camaraderie and focus. I'm never not getting involved again!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

Labour voters are either anti-Semites, or don't mind a bit of vile anti-Semitism.

Had a chat with a Jewish colleague. He voted Labour as the lesser of two evils.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

I am coming to the conclusion I will need to emigrate im the next decade or so. These people will become the majority sooner or later.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

Labour toleration of racism and the Tories abandonment of fiscal prudence has led us to where we are.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited December 2019

Or lost them.

Jesus christ. Or maybe that they've not got much realistic prospect of winning it? Did that ever cross your mind? Your constant ramping is hilarious, come 17:00 tomorrow I doubt that we'll ever hear again from you (I assume that your contract ends on a Friday right?)

Also, unless it is a 1997 style landslide, by 7pm you very rarely know for certain that you've won a seat or not.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Getting nervous now!

Will CHB be named poster of the DECADE later?!
  • Options

Momentum were absolutely convinced that they had won Wandsworth in 2018. It did not turn out that way. I thought their human wave tactics in Shaftesbury Ward were counter-productive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

My partner normally votes LD, she voted Tory today to my surprise to stop Corbyn

Marry her. She’s a keeper. 😍
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

I always thought it was a bridge too far for Labour to win it this time.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

ydoethur said:

By the way who are Gwlad,Gwlad? I didn't know who they were so they didn't get my vote. Should I have buyer's remorse?
    It means ‘Nation, Nation’ (roughly - it doesn’t translate well into English). They’re the first two words of the chorus of Land of My Fathers.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

“Personally, for me, it’s very clear cut. Jeremy Corbyn is a man of hope, a man of justice, a man of equality. And the other guy is a f***ing Prick” - Stormzy

Well I'm convinced - a famous person says it and swears while doing so, he must surely be able to see into the hearts of men.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

Can you just zip it with anti semite stuff for one second..
    Corbyn has dealt terribly with it badly
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Age is the biggest divider of how we vote nowadays, far bigger than class or income. Of course its going to get highlighted?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    I wonder if the Tories could have some bad losses in the South, such as even Grieve winning, and then offset that with a few midland northern gains, with the result of a majority of 10 or so.

At the same time, they might not have made quite enough progress in the north for that, or the postal votes may not be enough.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    £16.85m on NOM market

1.52/3.1

Is it going to keep bouncing betwwen 1.5 and 1.6 till 9.59pm or will it bust through at one end
  • Options

Artist said:

From Alex Wickham

He might still hold on!
    I do hope not. Massive Tory landslide with Raab, Patel, Johnson and Gove losing would be my perfect result.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    At 9pm you will get the Ave it prediction!

It's currently the subject of a plausibility review by Curtice!

• Options
    HaroldO said:

Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

Labour toleration of racism and the Tories abandonment of fiscal prudence has led us to where we are.
    Arguably the Tories policy of relaxing spending constraints makes a great day of sense when compared to all the other parties?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Andy_JS said:

nichomar said:

Ah yes, later in the night we'll be getting the 'Party X looking very glum at the count in constituency Y, they think they've lost by 4,000 votes' reports, followed by Party X winning easily. It's a noble tradition of election nights.
    The most famous example was Bob Marshall-Andrews declaring he'd lost his seat in Medway in 2005 and then winning it a few hours later by 200 votes.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited December 2019
    Gabs3 said:

Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

I am coming to the conclusion I will need to emigrate im the next decade or so. These people will become the majority sooner or later.
    Absolutely appalling. This election has raised some penetrating questions about British society which must be addressed.
  • Options
    egg said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Goner? Oh that's ok.
    LOL

Could Boris disaster last few days and Corbyns strong finish have been inspired by their internal polling?
    The last few days have given us Boris' finest comedy moments. A vote winning performance.
  • Options

You know the image coming out of both sides is remarkably mixed, doesn’t really scream landslide to me

Not many people predicted one.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Gabs3 said:

And me, and millions more who admire and respect the Jewish community.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Report from Colchester - polling station had a steady flow - no queue outside like at 2016 referendum.

Looking at the sheets as they crossed my name off it didn't seem like a high turnout.

Lib Dems complaining about Labour people spamming their candidates website
  • Options

There are too many of these “knife edge” Labour posts now from the north.

Me thinks they’re going to hold on in most but it’s going to be incredibly close. I suspect the next few hours will be key.

You hadn't realized that these are standard templates that have been issued to candidates,they just need to change the name & constituency?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Andy_JS said:

But to a first approximation, it’s not exactly untrue.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nichomar said:

Absolutely.

In 2010 I was at the count for Penistone & Stocksbridge updating the spreadsheet with the test counts for the Tories. We didn’t have any previous count data, so there was some guesswork (I’d calculated targets from canvassing data). At about 2am I couldn’t call it for sure, although thought we’d probably lost. Labour, who would have had far better data than us, looked really panicked which was giving me some hope,

They won by 3,000 votes.
  • Options

£16.85m on NOM market

1.52/3.1

Is it going to keep bouncing betwwen 1.5 and 1.6 till 9.59pm or will it bust through at one end

It's moved a lot again, from 1.6 to 1.5. I think someone with a lot of resources is having fun moving the numbers around.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Andy_JS said:

Age is the biggest divider of how we vote nowadays, far bigger than class or income. Of course its going to get highlighted?
    I was surprised at how many youngsters were voting Con. whilst out canvassing. That they are universally thought to be in the Labour column is very lazy.

(With the caveat that the young are not a major demographic in Totnes and South Devon!)
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    tyson said:

Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

I know it pains you to realise that, for the first time in your life, you are clearly and unambiguously supporting the racist, fascist, nasty, anti-Semite party - the Bad Guys - but there it is, Own it. I will not zip it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It means ‘Nation, Nation’ (roughly - it doesn’t translate well into English). They’re the first two words of the chorus of Land of My Fathers.
    Welsh nationalist Centre-right (their words) pro-Brexit party. All sound a bit blood and soil to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

There are too many of these “knife edge” Labour posts now from the north.

Me thinks they’re going to hold on in most but it’s going to be incredibly close. I suspect the next few hours will be key.

You hadn't realized that these are standard templates that have been issued to candidates,they just need to change the name & constituency?
    I don't get the feeling these are all just spamming - the Tories could have some hope in some of these places.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    edited December 2019
    Gabs3 said:

I share your view.

Think that as we get later and later, they are suffering from history not having repeated itself.

Eventually we will get a war or something that may wake them up.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

HaroldO said:

Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

Arguably the Tories policy of relaxing spending constraints makes a great day of sense when compared to all the other parties?
    I was thinking more of Brexit, that is the big misstep. Hobbling ourselves in the medium term economically is not a solid economic plan.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

And we go live to Sir Curtice...

https://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/YesMinisterReaction61.gif
  • Options

From Alex Wickham

Say he does lose, what are the Tories going to do about him. Will someone stand down straight away to get him back in.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    algarkirk said:

Gabs3 said:

And me, and millions more who admire and respect the Jewish community.

As per our discussion in the earlier day, however, Jewish people like my wife, Gallowgate, and apparently Tyson, on the other hand, are voting Labour.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I was surprised at how many youngsters were voting Con. whilst out canvassing. That they are universally thought to be in the Labour column is very lazy.

(With the caveat that the young are not a major demographic in Totnes and South Devon!)
    Of course its not universal! But they will nationally break heavily Labour and over 65 break 50/15 Tories. One of the few ways the polls could all be very wrong is if far more young people vote than expected (or fewer old people vote than expected).
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Just voted in an affluent part of London. Modest business

Teller said voting had been quite brisk through the day but nothing special.

So not all of London is youthquaking

DId you go for Alexandra Hayward?
  • Options
    Looking at the breakdown of the polling stations I've seen I think Labour are going to get a kicking. Off out to see some more in half an hour...
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

My 28 year old and his girlfriend are voting tory

This is a quote from a text he sent me earlier today

"there is no way I want the Labour scum in"

He did not get that from me - we rarely talk politics
  • Options

How do you know they dont tend to do that? Is it part of a momentum training manual or something, as I dont see how we could possibly know that.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Where are you I made up the spare bed and bought an extra bottle of cordoniu to celebrate the election results
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited December 2019

HaroldO said:

Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

Especially with low interest rates.
  • Options

Looking at the breakdown of the polling stations I've seen I think Labour are going to get a kicking. Off out to see some more in half an hour...

A different view than our resident Labour rampers - I know who I believe
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

True of some but there is a total unconscious blocking of the reality of the LP leadership in the case of many. In some ways it is more frightening in that I don't know what can be done but in other ways less frightening because the scales must drop eventually. The evidence about Corbyn and antisemitism and his support for repressive regimes and vile terrorists is overwhelming but some will not see.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Welsh nationalist Centre-right (their words) pro-Brexit party. All sound a bit blood and soil to me.
    That would be appropriate, given the preceding line is ‘dros rhyddid gollasant eu gwaed’ (‘for freedom poured out their blood’).
  • Options

Could be a kicking in the north, and a massive boost in the campuses and campus towns, and London.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

As noted it is mostly true. What I dont like is the automatic assumption from some that they should do so, or old people should gite Tory, with the unspoken implication of being wrong for not doing so.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

tyson said:

Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

I know it pains you to realise that, for the first time in your life, you are clearly and unambiguously supporting the racist, fascist, nasty, anti-Semite party - the Bad Guys - but there it is, Own it. I will not zip it.
    That’s not quite fair. He’s supporting one of the MANY racist, fascist etc...
  • Options
    Site is beginning to buckle I think
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    egg said:

From Alex Wickham

Say he does lose, what are the Tories going to do about him. Will someone stand down straight away to get him back in.
    If Valerie Vaz loses, then who cares - Boris will have 500 MPs to choose from
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Andy_JS said:

I would expect the young outside the metropolis and universities probably vote closer to the rest of the population. It's just the majority of young people congregate in cities, and a larger proportion of them went/go to university.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

nichomar said:

Absolutely.

In 2010 I was at the count for Penistone & Stocksbridge updating the spreadsheet with the test counts for the Tories. We didn’t have any previous count data, so there was some guesswork (I’d calculated targets from canvassing data). At about 2am I couldn’t call it for sure, although thought we’d probably lost. Labour, who would have had far better data than us, looked really panicked which was giving me some hope,

They won by 3,000 votes.
    Once the count is well under way its pretty simple. Walk up and down looking at tables. You can see who is ahead.
  • Options

Could be a kicking in the north, and a massive boost in the campuses and campus towns, and London.
    A kicking covers a wide range. Lots of close second places for the tories wouldnt help despite eating into the red wall.
  • Options

RobD said:

There's no way canvasing tallies are that precise. Is there any net gain in information by posting tweets from this account?
    You'd need tellers in every polling station providing live time information to get that kind of detail.
    Or a good source at Google HQ.
    Joke.
    (Or is it?)
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    In Kensington Tories and LibDems are joint favorites

Tories still favourites in Esher

IDS looks OK in Chingford, according to odds
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I should have known that by the translated title of Land of My Fathers.

I have subsequently learned that they are guerrilla Plaid Cymru bods who disagreed with standing aside, and are thus standing in four seats. Waste of a deposit if you ask me. Not that anyone has.
This discussion has been closed.