Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds remainers more likely than leavers to

Comments

• Options
    Having a play around some constituencies it looks quite tight. Getting out the vote looks crucial, as ever. I still think the Christmas Party factor will bite, but I’m not sure who.
  • Options
    It will be more than 28 , i live in the north west and no one I know is voting Corbyn . Majority of at least 60.

Does this MRP take account of postal votes already cast?
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    Lots of motivation to vote on all side.
    Put a few quid on 70-80% turnout
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    I doubt it.

It'll be interesting to see, considering this is so close to the Focaldata MRP totals, which seats they differ on.

Anyway, I haven't bothered to change my forecast (Tory majority 18) since the end of November, and I'm happy to stick with it. https://ukelect.wordpress.com/2019/11/17/general-election-2018-nowcast/
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    nunu2 said:

Byronic said:

Given the direction, that probably means a Hung Parliament.

Catastrophe.

The country is fucked
    Seriously, the level of hysteria on here is totally disproportionate
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,742
    edited December 2019

What's that smell? :wink:

Byronic's brown trousers, it's what all transitioning male models are wearing tonight.

😅
  • Options

Henrietta said:

Byronic said:

I've been moderated for pointing out that anyone who votes for Corbyn, or helps a Labour MP with a tactical vote, is enabling the elevation of a quasi-Islamist, Britain-loathing, Jew-hating prime minister, with all that means for the soul of the nation.

And these people need to morally own their awful decision, and the terrible consequences. Remainerism is a passing affair, anti-Semitism and crypto-Marxism are continuing evils that hurt millions, and will hurt again.

I'm sorry if this offends. But it is simply the truth

I feel much the same way.

I can’t understand why 46% of the electorate would seemingly prefer him as PM in a forced choice.

This should really be down at Chirac v. Le Pen levels.
    Few would agree with characterising Jeremy Corbyn as "Britain-loathing"! Which way would Shelley, Blake, Burns and Dickens vote on Thursday?
    I think lots would agree that Jeremy Corbyn is Britain-loathing.
    That's rubbish. Corbyn dislikes Britain's inequality and unfairness and its colonial past. Disliking the establishment isn't the same as hating Britain. I love this country, that's why I want it to be better. I think Corbyn's views come from a similar place.

You do, yes. Corbyn sees Britain as the root of all evil in the world.

It comes through with every fibre of his being, and everything he says.

This isn’t even a point for debate. It’s just true.
    Not really. He dislikes the establishment and the colonialist and racist mindset that has ruled for much of our history. But then all right thinking people would hate that too. There is another Britain, that isn't the Britain of the House of Lords, the great public schools and the officers' mess. The Britain of the nonconformists, the trades unionists, the suffragettes and the Chartists, musical pioneers like the Beatles, writing songs to change the world from a council house in Liverpool. And the Britain of ordinary people living unsung lives, working hard for not a lot of money. This is the Britain that I love, the Britain that Labour will always fight for.
    You needed have only posted the final sentence.

Donkey. Red rosette. Eye-ore!
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Erm am I missing something here? It’s still showing a Tory majority, and actually one I think looks quite realistic.

I think people need to calm down.

The direction of travel is clear. If labour are up another 2% on election day, that means a hung Parliament
  • Options

I don’t expect anyone will remember, but this isn’t the election result.

I will remember Alistair. I think the polls are way out.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    The other thing I wish to point out before I head off is that this polling was over the last 7 days. But I have detected a VERY noticeable shift to Labour in the last 36 hours, prior to which it was stagnant. I think the momentum to Labour is huge.

Offset that with 20% postal votes.

But, heck, this is tighter.

Night all.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,930
    Really? That's what would sway people who have been undecided up until now? I just don't understand people.
  • Options
    Range is 311 to 367. Let's hope it's the former.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Digging around a bit, it’s a lot better for the LibDems than it appears. They are still in contention in a lot of their target seats. Bearing in mind the model’s self-confessed weakness in identifying seat-specific effects, the LDs could still surprise on the upside, and so take Bozo’s majority down.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    There are an awful lot of 'toss-ups'; if this is anywhere near we'll have a lot of recounts and close results.
  • Options
    So Boris will have effectively restored the situation to status ante quo before May threw the majority away in 2017.

Good grief.

• Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited December 2019
    SNP MOE 24-55.

Edit: YouGov publish the spreadsheet here.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Henrietta said:

Byronic said:

I've been moderated for pointing out that anyone who votes for Corbyn, or helps a Labour MP with a tactical vote, is enabling the elevation of a quasi-Islamist, Britain-loathing, Jew-hating prime minister, with all that means for the soul of the nation.

And these people need to morally own their awful decision, and the terrible consequences. Remainerism is a passing affair, anti-Semitism and crypto-Marxism are continuing evils that hurt millions, and will hurt again.

I can’t understand why 46% of the electorate would seemingly prefer him as PM in a forced choice.

Few would agree with characterising Jeremy Corbyn as "Britain-loathing"! Which way would Shelley, Blake, Burns and Dickens vote on Thursday?
    That's rubbish. Corbyn dislikes Britain's inequality and unfairness and its colonial past. Disliking the establishment isn't the same as hating Britain. I love this country, that's why I want it to be better. I think Corbyn's views come from a similar place.

Not really. He dislikes the establishment and the colonialist and racist mindset that has ruled for much of our history. But then all right thinking people would hate that too. There is another Britain, that isn't the Britain of the House of Lords, the great public schools and the officers' mess. The Britain of the nonconformists, the trades unionists, the suffragettes and the Chartists, musical pioneers like the Beatles, writing songs to change the world from a council house in Liverpool. And the Britain of ordinary people living unsung lives, working hard for not a lot of money. This is the Britain that I love, the Britain that Labour will always fight for.
    You sure you're THIS Labour?
  • Options
    Surprised its as high as 28. Take that all day.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

nunu2 said:

Byronic said:

Catastrophe.

The country is fucked
    Seriously, the level of hysteria on here is totally disproportionate
    I posted a summary of the PB Tory alert level earlier in this thread. :p
  • Options

Are you new here?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Paging rcs....
  • Options
    My updated spreadsheet / charts going up shortly.
  • Options
    Blimey it’s tight.

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I really can’t see how a 9 point lead equates to just a 28 seat majority .

It does seem very strange .

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2019
    Which seats change?

I see that they have Chuka closing in in Westminster & London, 38% to 32% but within margin of error.
  • Options

I know you all missed me deeply, I was banned.

You were? For how long? A tea-break???
    A few hours, I didn't know what to do with myself
    :D:D
  • Options
    It shows swingback to LD in Scottish seats, except NE Fife, which is a tossup.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

So an increase in 2 points = 20 seats.

So 2 more points and 319 = HP.

Off we go

Off you go (on Friday)

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365

Me thinks it's going to be like 1992. It's definitely not looking very 1983

You think you think you think. Noone knows..
  • Options
    So essentially we’re within margin of error territory between a hung parliament and a larger Con majority.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Really? That's what would sway people who have been undecided up until now? I just don't understand people.
    Yes. I've had lots of people talking about it. The NHS really matters to people and a sick child ... you couldn't have got a worse possible closing meme for Johnson.

When the post-mortem of this election is written I think that will be the moment when Johnson lost it.

Like Kinnock at Sheffield.
  • Options

I’ve been too busy then too ill to get an independent sense of what is going on. There’s huge dissatisfaction at the available choice and that’s as much as I’ve picked up.
  • Options

How long can Johnson keep a majority of 28 together? 18 months? Less?

As long as it is long enough to get us past the Brexit date of January 31st that is all that matters.
  • Options

Lib Dems gain South Cambs, St Albans, Richmond Park, Sheffield Hallam. Lose Brecon & Radnorshire, North Norfolk.

Also lose Eastbourne
  • Options
    How on earth do the Tories only get a 28 majority with a nine point poll lead? That makes no sense.
  • Options
    311 would mean Labour would be forming a Government.

Inject it into my veins.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,066
    Range 311 to 367 seats
    Wales only 10 Tories, completely out of line with the Wales barometer
  • Options
    Did they also publish a graph showing how the prediction changed each day?
  • Options
    Betfair 1.46 overall
  • Options

So Boris will have effectively restored the situation to status ante quo before May threw the majority away in 2017.

Good grief.

It'd be slightly better than what Cameron got, which will be of most comfort to Boris I am sure.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Which way?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    kle4 said:

Yeesh, 28 majority on a 9 pt lead? It's not going to be that large a gap.
    Tories really had better hope yesterday's debacle doesn't have an effect, because this poll is based on seven days' data, so if there is an effect not very much of it will be in the MRP.

Will there be an update tomorrow? ;-)
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019
    The Conservatives could be wiped out in northern scotland.
    Only a predicted strong Labour revival keeps the SNP seats lower.

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2019/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=MRP_26_Nov_2019
  • Options

Range 311 to 367 seats

Is MRP now the bad poll?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Byronic said:

Pound off a cliff. Just the beginning.

Down less than one tenth of a percent against of the US dollar.

Exceptionally small cliff
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

The other thing I wish to point out before I head off is that this polling was over the last 7 days. But I have detected a VERY noticeable shift to Labour in the last 36 hours, prior to which it was stagnant. I think the momentum to Labour is huge.

Offset that with 20% postal votes.

But, heck, this is tighter.

Night all.

With great reluctance, I am forced to agree. It's a huge mood shift. I am not sure why. But it has happened. Labour are within touching distance of being biggest party

Their problem is that it has come so so late, that is quite unlikely. But a hung parliament is super do-able. For them.

• Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited December 2019
    I think the tone of Johnston on the last day could decide 20 seats.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Tory target seat #101 Bradford South has become a toss up.
  • Options
    How's it looking for London?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

So an increase in 2 points = 20 seats.

So 2 more points and 319 = HP.

Off we go

Yeah, seems likely, the Tories need to gain 5% bigger lead for 1 extra seat...
  • Options
    .. but Luciana Berger well behind in Finchley & Golders Green
  • Options
    Oh Lord ... and now they've just found bird flu on a farm in Suffolk.

Jeez.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

How on earth do the Tories only get a 28 majority with a nine point poll lead? That makes no sense.

I would say it’s about as cautious a seat tally as you can get with a 9 point lead. I still think 6 or maybe 5 would get a majority.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    The whole of North Wales a tossup. Including the previously blue-leaning Wrexham.
  • Options
    Some of those seat gains for Labour look laughable and I’m saying this as a Labour supporter .
  • Options
    .. and Kensington a tossup, Lab marginally ahead.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Erm am I missing something here? It’s still showing a Tory majority, and actually one I think looks quite realistic.

I think people need to calm down.

The direction of travel is clear. If labour are up another 2% on election day, that means a hung Parliament
    And in 2017 the MRP showed a lower seat count for the Tories than what they achieved. So there’s so many ifs and buts in this.

A slim Tory victory is essentially what it’s predicting and essentially what I think a lot of us have been saying for some time. I thought the 50+ majority stuff was always a bit of guff.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,806
    Lanark & Hamilton East is now predicted to be Conservative by 1%.
  • Options
    Also the MRP is strongly contradicting Yougov's own Welsh poll.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Byronic said:

Catastrophe.

The catastrophe is a Labour majority. That isn’t happening. A close to 10 point lead will deliver the Tories a handy majority. Johnson will be free to launch his assault on the constitution.

The Tories like to pretend a Corbyn majority is likely when it never has been.

The Truth is a Boris majority is likely. Tories naturally delight at the prospect of a blank cheque.
  • Options

Flattered by BXP not standing in Tory seats.
  • Options

I think the tone of Johnston on the last day could effect 20 seats.

He surely has to come out and make a passionate speech about the NHS. Maybe make some cast-iron guaranteee (copyright D Cameron) about how he won't privatise it.

Ramming a JCB into fake bricks aint gonna cut it,
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Henrietta said:

Byronic said:

f***ing brilliant post. These Tories hate everything good about Britain.
  • Options

Range 311 to 367 seats

Wales will always disappoint the Tories, it's a little tease.

• Options
    Bedford is a toss up now - identical ranges for Lab and Tory.

OGH vote could be the one that decides the outcome - Buffoon or Magic Marxist?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Digging around a bit, it’s a lot better for the LibDems than it appears. They are still in contention in a lot of their target seats. Bearing in mind the model’s self-confessed weakness in identifying seat-specific effects, the LDs could still surprise on the upside, and so take Bozo’s majority down.
    I've estimated them at 22 seats, but that's still not enough to deprive Bojo of his majority. What we still need is more Lab and LD to SNP tactical switching in Scotland. I still find it bizarre that the Tories are going to do so well there.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Kensington going Labour seems unlikely to me...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,873
    I've said a majority of around 30 all the way along BTW. Just throwing that out there in case anyone didn't know...

*innocent face*

;)
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,872
    That hexagon map on the YouGov seat page is terrible. Ross, Skye & Lochaber is not south of Glasgow North-West even after 10 cans of Tennents.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

rcs1000 said:

The LibDems are going to regret "Bollocks to Brexit", and personalising the campaign around Jo Swinson. She may even lose her seat. That being said, in pure vote terms, the LDs will do significantly better than in '15 or '17. With 50+% more votes than last time, and it would be surprising if they were to actually fall backwards in number of seats.

If the Lib Dems gain a decent number of affluent English seats and Jo Swinson loses hers, it would be a good result for them in the longer term. Choosing her was a disastrous decision.
    They've got previous, though not many quality runners available, then who has?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,742

I’ve been too busy then too ill to get an independent sense of what is going on. There’s huge dissatisfaction at the available choice and that’s as much as I’ve picked up.
    There is also real anger and desire to end austerity. That is behind the BBCQT hostility to the Lib Dems. Apart from Brexit BoZo has little to offer.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Are you referring to the election or his private life?
  • Options

Byronic said:

lol. That;s fair. I misread the axes on my Forex app

It's down but it hasn't fallen out of an 80s Argentine helicopter
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    My Spreadsheet now contains all the latest MRP data.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16BjKMutz0rNyU7jqyH-S0VTcYPwhp-fGD5z73s-5YoA

Just fixing a bug in the seat progression chart, so can see how the night is predicted to pan out. Obviously ignore the "result" stuff on the Chart tab as that is just placeholder.
  • Options
    argyllrs said:

In December?

If the turnout is that high, Boris will have a hefty majority.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Byronic said:

Small if you're having a weekend in NY later in the month. Big if you've got a few yards of cable position to unwind.
  • Options

Lib Dems gain South Cambs, St Albans, Richmond Park, Sheffield Hallam. Lose Brecon & Radnorshire, North Norfolk.

You can add Guildford. The MRP does not handle local factors well, and Guildford has them in abundance.
  • Options
    Someone on PB (sorry I can't remember who) posted up the link enabling the earlier YouGov MRP's detailed data and forecast result for every seat to be downloaded. Does anyone know please whether this same information is available for this updated MRP?
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    Is it now taken as given that Tories always lose vote share throughout a campaign or is it a recent phenomenon?
  • Options
    As I was saying earlier.

Bozo has ducked Neil and fucked up on the NHS photo. Driving a bulldozer doesn’t really cut it by way of compensation.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I think the tone of Johnston on the last day could effect 20 seats.

He surely has to come out and make a passionate speech about the NHS. Maybe make some cast-iron guaranteee (copyright D Cameron) about how he won't privatise it.

Ramming a JCB into fake bricks aint gonna cut it,
    That stunt looked pathetic to anyone whose not a Bozo fan . Coupled with his photo gate incident it’s not a good look .

He just looks like he’s not taking things seriously.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

Flattered by BXP not standing in Tory seats.
    Not really.
    Sedgefield is projected that the Conservative have a 1% lead there despite Brexit standing.
    But in Milton Keynes they are barelly ahead too even if Brexit is not standing.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

Someone on PB (sorry I can't remember who) posted up the link enabling the earlier YouGov MRP's detailed data and forecast result for every seat to be downloaded. Does anyone know please whether this same information is available for this updated MRP?

Yes - https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2019/
  • Options
    Dadge said:

argyllrs said:

In December?

But look at the weather. It may reach the 70s but I think you have to assume the weather will depress turnout by 1-2%.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2019
    TudorRose said:

Which way?
    Given the horrible choice of leaders, the splitting of Left/Right across Leave/Remain, the collapse of Westminster parties in Scotland, I am expecting the result to be highly unpredictable. I have no way of knowing in which direction, but the old models and assumptions, UNS etc will not be much use this time around. I also dislike the way the MRP takes a national view and then "morphs" it on to constituency level based on a handful (630?) of voters questioned, a proportion of whom are self-selected like people on here who do YouGov panels.

So much has changed. The models have never been tested like this, but never forget that "computer modelling" is too often a way of saying "guesstimate".

Thursday at 10pm will be interesting

(BTW - my own view is Boris with a majority of 10, but I would prefer -10)
  • Options
    Boris needs to get outside Downing Street tomorrow and make a statement assuring the people that the NHS is safe in his hands and that no one should have to be without a bed. He needs to link the Brexit dividend back to the NHS and promise £350 million extra a week from the moment we leave .
  • Options

Good grief.

Given that he’s no better at campaigning than she was, wouldn’t that be fair?
  • Options
    alb1on said:

Dadge said:

argyllrs said:

In December?

But look at the weather. It may reach the 70s but I think you have to assume the weather will depress turnout by 1-2%.
    https://twitter.com/chrishanretty/status/1204118669200101381
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The LibDems are going to regret "Bollocks to Brexit", and personalising the campaign around Jo Swinson. She may even lose her seat. That being said, in pure vote terms, the LDs will do significantly better than in '15 or '17. With 50+% more votes than last time, and it would be surprising if they were to actually fall backwards in number of seats.

If the Lib Dems gain a decent number of affluent English seats and Jo Swinson loses hers, it would be a good result for them in the longer term. Choosing her was a disastrous decision.
    They've got previous, though not many quality runners available, then who has?
    I think she's okay. Even the Revoke platform would've been okay if she'd explained herself better and toughed it out. But it has become clear that LibDem members of the Cameron coalition are tainted and the party should've picked a leader who's untainted,eg. Layla Moran.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Am sticking with my opinion from earlier this evening. The numbers look broadly sensible, though the numbers of very close calls in Tory-held seats in Scotland and Tory targets in North Wales seem surprisingly high given relatively buoyant performances in the Scottish and Welsh polls, and the likely effect of Unionist tactical voting in Scotland.

Looks most likely that there will be a moderate Conservative majority.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    So - we're fucked?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    I just tried to show Bozo the MRP but he took my phone off me and put it in his pocket.
  • Options
    Looking at the tossups

Con vs Ind - East Devon
    Con vs LD - Winchester, Esher
    Con vs Lab - Kensington, Dagenham, Hendon, Bedford, Clwyd S, Wrexham, Vale of Clwyd, Delyn, Aberconwy, Wolverhampton SW, Gedling, Lincoln, Grimsby, Bradford S, Stockton S, Sedgefield, Bolton NE, Bury N
    Con vs SNP - Ayr, East Ren, Lanark, Aberdeen S, Ochil, Gordon, Moray
    Lab vs SNP - Rutherglen, Glasgow E
    LD vs SNP - NE Fife
    3 way marginal - Ynys Mon

Workington now leans Lab but Con just ahead in Bolsover.
  • Options
    Pidcock landslide 2024!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yes. I've had lots of people talking about it. The NHS really matters to people and a sick child ... you couldn't have got a worse possible closing meme for Johnson.

When the post-mortem of this election is written I think that will be the moment when Johnson lost it.

Like Kinnock at Sheffield.
    It could be. Or Brown in Rochdale, or Callaghan on his return from Guadeloupe.

But the night is young. We're not even in Wednesday yet.

• Options
    alb1on said:

Dadge said:

argyllrs said:

In December?

Yes, this is more likely.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Er... That's a catastrophic 0.5% cliff.

It fell 10% overnight on the EU Ref outcome and we appear to have survived.

Stop being such a drama queen!
  • Options
    East Dunbartonshire Tied at 37
This discussion has been closed.