Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab in trouble whilst Labour are on course to increase their

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    GIN1138 said:

LOL! And I *still* think this weekend is Peak Labour... This is as good as it gets for Lab IMO.

I think midweek was peak Labour.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

As I've said for the last week during this Tory wobble, this isn't 2017. Our campaign is uninspiring, not complete crap. I'm fairly confident that we'll get a ~60 seat majority, nothing has really changed in the last couple of weeks to suggest that we won't. Labour have waved £139bn in cash to voters and it resulted in a ~2% swing. Their cupboard is empty and the momentum is with us now that they have run out of taxpayer money to bribe voters with.

I think they’ll throw cancelling student at us yet. Good grief.

That's not going to shift any additional votes in their favour, they already have the student and young graduate vote sewn up.

If we came up with a credible policy it would really hurt Labour.
    You’re probably right. We should switch from loan to graduate tax - gets rid of the stigma of “debt”, and return fees to £3k. That would be sold as my Brexit dividend. Optics would be good all round.

Nah, we can't use the phrase brexit dividend with younger voters, it's not credible. Just call if righting a wrong and owning up to our mistake on fees. Voters love a bit of humility and contrition from the governing party.
    I think you could - investing in future skills to unleash our global potential, etc. It’d go down well with Tory soft remainers and Lib Dem right. And as you say, anything to neutralise Labour in this cohort would be good.
    Legalise weed. Tax it. Promise to spend every extra penny raised on the NHS.
    I'd vote for it. And I haven't smoked dope since I was a student.
    But people are going to smoke it whether it's legal or not and it seems like a massive opportunity for the Tories. Particularly if it's tied to the NHS.
    I’m completely amazed that neither the Tories nor Labour have gone near drugs policy during the campaign - I guess they both see it as too divisive an issue, as likely to lose votes as win them.
    As was mentioned on here briefly earlier, one of the most interesting policy programmes anywhere in recent years, has been the decriminalisation of drugs in Portugal.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Cyclefree said:

For anyone who would like a calming, beautiful and fascinating documentary to watch - instead of worrying about polls - check out The Lake District: A Wild Year on BBC4 and available on iPlayer.
    I really cannot wait to move there. With luck, by the time of my birthday in February ...... 🤞

I might do that.

This election is far too stressful.
    I was out in Clumber Park this morning, the frost made it look magnificent.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826

Apparently these are all the polls updated:
    Delta +13
    Opinium +15
    BMG +6
    ComRes +10
    PanelBase +8
    Kantar +10
    ICM +7
    YouGov 11

80% divided by 8 polls 10% lead.

Survation missing it was 7 though wasnt it?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited November 2019
    Disappointing polls for Labour and the potential cancellation of Brexit.
    Tory majority of 30-50 highly likely now. That's my betting position. Corbyn an obvious drag unlike 2017. Labour needs to start thinking post GE - is there any hope of a revivial?
  • Options
    Many postal votes have already been cast.

Can’t fatten a pig on market day.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2019

Those 18-24 numbers are concerning to me.

It isn't right or healthy for the politics of the generations to be that heavily polarised.

Housing affordability and student debt.
    I'd like to see some the 18-24 group broken down into students/graduates and non-students/graduates.
    Also between home owners and renters.
    Or put more broadly, young people generally see their lives won't be as good as their parent's.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

Brom said:

Andy_JS said:

We have deltapoll and yougov to come confirmed plus I guess a random Sun or Mirror poll if theyve bothered

Will those polls shift the current average tonight of 42.7/32.3/13.0/ very much? I'd be surprised if they do.
    Well when the Tory lead in one poll is so massive not really. Whether you think that's an outlier or not, will I guess determine your views on that.

I think it's an outlier - but I'm nearly always wrong so feel free to ignore!
    I’d imagine Opinium share and BMG share both wrong. When you add up the leave vote you’d expect Tories between 40 and 45.
    Fair point.
    No it’s not it wholly wrong. A lot of Tory share are remainers lab and Lib in particular have failed to coax away, lab share contains fair portion of leavers labour need to hold. That is what this election is about here on in and the counting of the con + BREX and lab Lib green is not believing it’s all leave v remain voters but if the gap grows or not, and it’s definitely not, indicates how stealing holding is going, growing = good for remain. I counted it last week and despite good Tory night it didn’t shrink much, tonight it hasn’t grown much either.

Call it eggs gap analysis

Any questions?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

LOL! And I *still* think this weekend is Peak Labour... This is as good as it gets for Lab IMO.

Why say such things Gin?

Open to uber-hubris if the mood changes in a week.

Which it very easily could.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I doubt Raab is in that much trouble. If he was, then seats would be at risk of falling to the LDs all over the Remainder and commuter south east.

FPT - if that report of the Patel/Raab fallout over Hong Kong is accurate then that's disgraceful behaviour by our foreign secretary. We should never kowtow to China.

If true, it speaks well of Patel. Perhaps a result of her own background. Her parents were a Ugandan Asians given refuge here by Heath, weren’t they?
    It does. I'm not sure she's even arguing for full BNO settlement rights either - just for the UK to be a temporary safe haven for those most at risk.

Does her credit.
    And it would do Britain credit to make such a gesture.
    Even Trump, for God’s sake, has passed law obliging the US to check on whether the Chinese are standing by their promises to HK.
    I know, I know.

I'm deeply embarrassed and ashamed of our feet dragging on this. God knows what they think of us in Hong Kong. They were waving British flags a year ago. They've given up now and switched to stars and stripes.

I consider us standing by Hong Kong a matter of national honour.
    Since the handover Hong Kong is not a UK responsibility and realistically only the US can stand up to China and press for Hong Kong autonomy anyway, we can back them but not much more
    No, we have a moral duty in the UK-Sino Agreement.

And Britain is about standing up for the right thing wherever in the world no matter how big and powerful they are.
    God forbid that we see another Tiananmen Square massacre, but if anything like that happens, or seems likely to happen, we really need to offer a way out for as many Hong Kong citizens as can leave. Unfortunately China under the rule of Xi Jinping is regressing politically and socially even as the economy continues to boom. The liberalising aspects of trade are being checked by the Chinese government that clearly fears their long term effects.
  • Options

Apparently these are all the polls updated:
    Delta +13
    Opinium +15
    BMG +6
    ComRes +10
    PanelBase +8
    Kantar +10
    ICM +7
    YouGov 11

80% divided by 8 polls 10% lead.

Survation missing it was 7 though wasnt it?
    11% last week BJO.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Notice how Delta has Jezza's personal raiting start to drop, Boris's going up. I suspect that will continue from now to polling day. It could be that mid-week this week was peak Labour! ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I doubt Raab is in that much trouble. If he was, then seats would be at risk of falling to the LDs all over the Remainder and commuter south east.

FPT - if that report of the Patel/Raab fallout over Hong Kong is accurate then that's disgraceful behaviour by our foreign secretary. We should never kowtow to China.

If true, it speaks well of Patel. Perhaps a result of her own background. Her parents were a Ugandan Asians given refuge here by Heath, weren’t they?
    It does. I'm not sure she's even arguing for full BNO settlement rights either - just for the UK to be a temporary safe haven for those most at risk.

Does her credit.
    Even Trump, for God’s sake, has passed law obliging the US to check on whether the Chinese are standing by their promises to HK.
    I know, I know.

I'm deeply embarrassed and ashamed of our feet dragging on this. God knows what they think of us in Hong Kong. They were waving British flags a year ago. They've given up now and switched to stars and stripes.

Since the handover Hong Kong is not a UK responsibility and realistically only the US can stand up to China and press for Hong Kong autonomy anyway, we can back them but not much more

And Britain is about standing up for the right thing wherever in the world no matter how big and powerful they are.
    China has a bigger military than us and a bigger economy than us, as I said only the US can realistically stand up to China as the world's foremost economic and military power.

We can support the US, little more
    We can exercise moral and diplomatic leadership and assemble a coalition of nations in economic pressure and in hard containment too, if necessary.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    First canvasser today, Labour. I was too busy to talk but he seemed a nice chap.

Also had my first Tory party literature, I live in Anna Soubry's ward so used to seeing her name on it. Will be interesting to see what happens.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Forgot to mention I passed the Presidential motorcade this afternoon on the way to Chingford from Harlow, ahead of the NATO summit this week in London

Obama used to fly around in an Osprey. Three of them did a practice run over Lord's during a county match back in 2016. I assume Trump needs a motorcade to get about the West End. I'm sure he'll be well received by commuters, xmas shoppers and couriers. Not to mention journalists hanging onto his every word.
    The US President’s travel plans are a complete nightmare to anyone who comes close to them. Meanwhile two or three cars and half a dozen police bikes (and some very funky traffic lights) can get our own PM from Downing St to Northolt in about 15 minutes.
    Saw two helicopters flying in close formation above Holland Park earlier today.
    Yes getting ready for Trump's arrival
    Yes, and I saw them fly back towards the west a short while afterward.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

GIN1138 said:

Why say such things Gin?

Agreed could still be LAB overall majority!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Why say such things Gin?

I'm just consistent with what I've said all the way along. All the Tory bedwetting on here hasn't caused me to change my mind that Conservatives will win a majority of 30-40 seats on a 10% lead

That's been my view from day one and still is.
  • Options
    So the trend seems to be Labour has gained about two points, is that fair?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited November 2019
    Edit: let me add YouGov
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

It isn't right or healthy for the politics of the generations to be that heavily polarised.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/11/britain-election-boomers/602680/
  • Options
    BobBeige said:

Mine were allegedly sent out on 28th November but haven't arrived yet.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Well a mixed bag of polls but broadly looking ok for the Tories.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

As I've said for the last week during this Tory wobble, this isn't 2017. Our campaign is uninspiring, not complete crap. I'm fairly confident that we'll get a ~60 seat majority, nothing has really changed in the last couple of weeks to suggest that we won't. Labour have waved £139bn in cash to voters and it resulted in a ~2% swing. Their cupboard is empty and the momentum is with us now that they have run out of taxpayer money to bribe voters with.

I think they’ll throw cancelling student at us yet. Good grief.

That's not going to shift any additional votes in their favour, they already have the student and young graduate vote sewn up.

If we came up with a credible policy it would really hurt Labour.
    You’re probably right. We should switch from loan to graduate tax - gets rid of the stigma of “debt”, and return fees to £3k. That would be sold as my Brexit dividend. Optics would be good all round.

Nah, we can't use the phrase brexit dividend with younger voters, it's not credible. Just call if righting a wrong and owning up to our mistake on fees. Voters love a bit of humility and contrition from the governing party.
    I think you could - investing in future skills to unleash our global potential, etc. It’d go down well with Tory soft remainers and Lib Dem right. And as you say, anything to neutralise Labour in this cohort would be good.

Legalise weed. Tax it. Promise to spend every extra penny raised on the NHS.

I'd vote for it. And I haven't smoked dope since I was a student.

But people are going to smoke it whether it's legal or not and it seems like a massive opportunity for the Tories. Particularly if it's tied to the NHS.

100% agreed.

Make it an educational, fiscal, healthcare issue . . . not a criminal one.
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Does her credit.
    I know, I know.

God forbid that we see another Tiananmen Square massacre, but if anything like that happens, or seems likely to happen, we really need to offer a way out for as many Hong Kong citizens as can leave. Unfortunately China under the rule of Xi Jinping is regressing politically and socially even as the economy continues to boom. The liberalising aspects of trade are being checked by the Chinese government that clearly fears their long term effects.
    Yes, China is heading to a very dark place.

Witness the nationwide compulsory face scans for buying a new smartphone announced last week.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Notice how Delta has Jezza's personal raiting start to drop, Boris's going up. I suspect that will continue from now to polling day. It could be that mid-week this week was peak Labour! ;)
    Or not.

YG seems to be narrowing will be interesting if there is a new MRP midweek.

I go for Tory Maj 40 in next MRP and 10 to 20 in real thing.
  • Options
    Current polls counting those that ended field work at Nov 25 or later:
    Delta +13(0)
    Opinium +15(-4)
    BMG +6(-7)
    ComRes +10(+3)
    PanelBase +8(-5)
    Kantar +10(-8)
    ICM +7(-3)
    YouGov 9(-2)
    Current average margin:
    +9.5
    Still Waiting On:
    IpsosMori (+16 prev)
    Survation (+11 prev)

As per Reddit
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Yes I think there has/was a slight swing to Labour in the last week but I suspect Delta Poll is telling us that is probably already being snuffed out as polling day gets closer.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    42% seems the ceiling for Johnson, maybe 43%. I bet he would have taken that three months ago.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    felix said:

The rather better polls overall tonight for the Tories along with evidence of weakness for them in the south suggests, if it pans out that there could be a big re-alignment going on in British politics. If so the Brexit effect could prove to be quite profound in its impact.

The Tory heartland shifting further to the North and West, possibly? Dominating in East Anglia, the Midlands and the South-West as their majorities erode in the South-East? It's possible.

If we look at the EU referendum results map, there are strong concentrations of Remain-majority counting areas in most of London, West Sussex, Surrey, eastern Hampshire, and roughly along the London-Oxford-Bristol corridor. Perhaps leafy West London and the most wealthy shire counties is where we should be looking for a major revival of the Liberal Democrats, if and when this occurs? The route to a significant Parliamentary revival in their traditional South-Western powerbase might be closed to them.

There's precious little joy for Remain in most of the rest of England. Labour support outside of London may well contract around some of these remaining urban nuclei, along with the areas containing the highest concentrations of students, black and Muslim voters, and the very deprived.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    So 6%, 9%, 13% and 15% leads so far. Huge variance among the pollsters.
  • Options
    Now with YouGov:

https://imgur.com/7vRbcdB
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if Labour has gone up any more by the time the next MRP comes out, their direction of travel seems to still be as implied by their post, i.e. towards 7 points and a HP.
    But will it have gone down enough by then, who knows?
    To me, it seems as though Labour is slowly gaining - but perhaps not fast enough.
  • Options

BobBeige said:

Mine were allegedly sent out on 28th November but haven't arrived yet.
    CWU have heard about you!!!
  • Options
    The polls tonight have not seen labour break past 34 and only yougov is on 34

I am content that the lead is still around 10% with just 10 days to go

Polling day is not a campaign day
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Is that it for tonight’s polls or are we expecting any more? We want more polls !!!
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

Where were the polls at this point at last election?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Is that it for tonight’s polls or are we expecting any more? We want more polls !!!

Gready now
  • Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2017_United_Kingdom_general_election
    I don't know if we'd seen the magic HP poll from Survation at this point (relatively)
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Y'all got any more of them polls?
  • Options
    These polls all have an imbalance between + and -. Who is losing the vote share?
  • Options
    RobD said:
    I know I keep saying this but Labour on there is kind of freaky. It mirrors 2017 almost perfectly, even down to the small bumps as each week goes by. They're just lower down.
    Creepy
  • Options
    I will vote for any party which finally replaces miles with kilometres
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2017_United_Kingdom_general_election
    I don't know if we'd seen the magic HP poll from Survation at this point (relatively)
    I guess I'm just a bit lost as to how "2017" this feels. Meh.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited November 2019
    Swing of 1% from the Tories to Labour since the Yougov MRP totals of Tories 43% Labour 32%.

Labour would hold 11 seats of the 44 they were forecast to lose to the Tories including Clwyd South, Weaver Vale, Workington, Stoke Central, Bedford, Scunthorpe, Leigh and Dagenham and Rainham.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/27/key-findings-our-mrp
  • Options
  • Options

Similarly, I will vote for any party which reverses currency decimalisation. :)
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2019

I guess I'm just a bit lost as to how "2017" this feels. Meh.
    Well it does and it doesn't.
    It does because the polls are once again quite widely spread (although trend seems to be a dropping Tory lead) but it also doesn't because the Tory percentage has gone up
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Yes, China is heading to a very dark place.

Witness the nationwide compulsory face scans for buying a new smartphone announced last week.

China looked like it was cautiously liberalising and becoming freer, at least by historic standards if not free as we would mean it. That seems to be going into reverse, and the government there now seems to want to embrace every possible means of mass surveillance and control.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

They've squeezed the LDs for sure but the Tory vote seems to be holding quite firm. I'm not sure the LD vote will go much lower despite their truly awful strategy - and remember a fair number of their new voters are ex-tory remainers many of whom would never vote Labour under Corbyn. Time will tell but a lot of postals ahve already gone in and well under 2 weeks left now.
  • Options
    Anyone got any tables I can study?
  • Options
    Yes, that looks like it'll be the only Lab 34% we get tonight. We had three earlier in the week.

I wonder if Labour might be stalling? I'm not yet convinced. I'll need more convincing to start to believe that this might not be a repeat of 2017, and there's still time for events to intervene. But the MRP assumes 43:32 and its results compared with more recently conducted constituency surveys look persuasive.

If Labour do flatline then the Tories should be far enough ahead to win, unless all of the polls are wrong.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Very good leadership figures for Tories in that Delta.
  • Options

About three
  • Options
    Yup, 9-11 points.
    egg said:
    Well +3 for the SNP as well, though not all Labour voters will be remainers and not all Tory voters leavers.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/11/britain-election-boomers/602680/
    It's a good article, although I don't think it's helpful to use that language.

One thing the Tories have tried to do over the last few years, to their credit, is build many more houses.

They haven't properly addressed student loans and debt yet, or seed capital transfer or the values thing.
  • Options

felix said:

The rather better polls overall tonight for the Tories along with evidence of weakness for them in the south suggests, if it pans out that there could be a big re-alignment going on in British politics. If so the Brexit effect could prove to be quite profound in its impact.

The Tory heartland shifting further to the North and West, possibly? Dominating in East Anglia, the Midlands and the South-West as their majorities erode in the South-East? It's possible.

If we look at the EU referendum results map, there are strong concentrations of Remain-majority counting areas in most of London, West Sussex, Surrey, eastern Hampshire, and roughly along the London-Oxford-Bristol corridor. Perhaps leafy West London and the most wealthy shire counties is where we should be looking for a major revival of the Liberal Democrats, if and when this occurs? The route to a significant Parliamentary revival in their traditional South-Western powerbase might be closed to them.

There's precious little joy for Remain in most of the rest of England. Labour support outside of London may well contract around some of these remaining urban nuclei, along with the areas containing the highest concentrations of students, black and Muslim voters, and the very deprived.
    Conservative heartland shifting into areas of affordable housing,
  • Options
    Current Tory Lead by Pollster:

Opinium: +15
    DeltaPoll: +13
    Kantar: +11
    Survation: +11
    ComRes: +10
    YouGov: +9
    Panelbase: +8
    ICM: +7
    BMG: +6

Polls from 23rd November or later only.
  • Options
    felix said:

They've squeezed the LDs for sure but the Tory vote seems to be holding quite firm. I'm not sure the LD vote will go much lower despite their truly awful strategy - and remember a fair number of their new voters are ex-tory remainers many of whom would never vote Labour under Corbyn. Time will tell but a lot of postals have already gone in and well under 2 weeks left now.
    Reckon that the proportion of votes cast by post could hit 25% in this election, and that most of those have probably already been returned.
  • Options
    If you want to be a tinfoil hat person and say all the polls are wrong (I personally don't think that, I reckon the Tories are around 8 points ahead), you could say that we're in HP territory already, bearing in mind many polls predicted a 10 point lead on the night before 2017.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Why say such things Gin?

I'm just consistent with what I've said all the way along. All the Tory bedwetting on here hasn't caused me to change my mind that Conservatives will win a majority of 30-40 seats on a 10% lead

That's been my view from day one and still is.
    Sash. You're out of our exclusive elite bedwetting club then.

Talk to the (urine soaked) hand.
  • Options

felix said:

They've squeezed the LDs for sure but the Tory vote seems to be holding quite firm. I'm not sure the LD vote will go much lower despite their truly awful strategy - and remember a fair number of their new voters are ex-tory remainers many of whom would never vote Labour under Corbyn. Time will tell but a lot of postals have already gone in and well under 2 weeks left now.
    Reckon that the proportion of votes cast by post could hit 25% in this election, and that most of those have probably already been returned.
    Mostly not from floating voters
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    egg said:
    You’ve not included the SNP. Apparently the YouGov has Labours highest share of the vote since February .
  • Options

If you want to be a tinfoil hat person and say all the polls are wrong (I personally don't think that, I reckon the Tories are around 8 points ahead), you could say that we're in HP territory already, bearing in mind many polls predicted a 10 point lead on the night before 2017.

Similarly, the Tories could be miles ahead. If it's wrong, we just don't know.
  • Options

No, this isn't HP territory.
  • Options

I think so because what will happen now is further shoring up of the Labour vote as left-wing voters move to them tactically to frustrate a Tory majority.

Even political trend has an equal and opposite challenging one.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    edited November 2019
    [EDITED TO INCLUDE YOUGOV]
    I think the Conservatives need about 308 or so seats in England alone to get a majority, assuming another 16 or so from Wales and Scotland.

Putting tonight's polls into my model for England I get:

Current Seats: Con (inc Bercow) 297 Lab 227 LD 8 Green 1

ComRes 43/33/13/4/3: Con 341 Lab 184 LD 7 Green 1
    BMG 39/33/13/4/5: Con 309 Lab 211 LD 12 Green 1
    Opinium 46/31/13/2/3(?): Con 384 Lab 141 LD 7 Green 1
    YouGov 43/34/13/2/3: Con 343 Lab 181 LD 8 Green 1

Although the Conservatives just about scrape home with BMG, note that my model using the YouGov MRP figures gives the Conservatives 12 more seats than does the YouGov MRP. So assuming the MRP model is right, if my model shows much less than 320 Con seats the result is pointing to a hung parliament.

Note it matters matters very much whether the Brexit Party are on 4% (BMG, ComRes) or 2% (Opinium, YouGov). All of this comes from just 273 out of 632 GB seats. If BXP are polling well in those those Labour Leave marginals that the Tories are eyeing up, which is what Cummings is still concerned about, then the Tories will need a larger overall national lead in the polls to get a majority. If I substituted the BXP share of 2% into the BMG vote share (in place of 4%) with all other shares unchanged, the model would show the Conservatives on 320 seats not 309.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Exactly this. My feeling is that it's reasonably close - and the MRP poll seems to show in the key marginals this is the case.
    What I want to see is turnout assumptions, that's the only thing I can think of, as to how the polls can differ so much. I recall in 2017 Survation's turnout model was what gave them the magic HP (within MOE).
  • Options
    RobD said:
    This morning your graph had the black line below the dotted line, now back above. Funny what a few polls can do.

I hope these newest ones are right, but I won't relax until after the exit poll . . . if then.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Tonight's polling broadly supports the MRP with the exception of BMG
  • Options
    felix said:

They've squeezed the LDs for sure but the Tory vote seems to be holding quite firm. I'm not sure the LD vote will go much lower despite their truly awful strategy - and remember a fair number of their new voters are ex-tory remainers many of whom would never vote Labour under Corbyn. Time will tell but a lot of postals ahve already gone in and well under 2 weeks left now.
    I agree with felix. Do you think the BREX is beginning to look a bit low though?
  • Options

I think so because what will happen now is further shoring up of the Labour vote as left-wing voters move to them tactically to frustrate a Tory majority.

No, I don't think so. Anyone who is ready to vote for Jez would have said so this week with the onslaught of bribes from last week. We're at (or just past) peak Labour.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

RobD said:

Exactly this. My feeling is that it's reasonably close - and the MRP poll seems to show in the key marginals this is the case.
    What I want to see is turnout assumptions, that's the only thing I can think of, as to how the polls can differ so much. I recall in 2017 Survation's turnout model was what gave them the magic HP (within MOE).
    Read the article linked above. Some polls weight by recall of previous vote. Some weight by record of how people said they voted at the time. Some don’t weight for past vote at all.
  • Options

RobD said:

Huh? The MRP poll showed a 68 seat Tory majority.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    HYUFD said:

Swing of 1% from the Tories to Labour since the Yougov MRP totals of Tories 43% Labour 32%.
    Absolutely bogus comparison, of course. Completely different models. Swing from apples to oranges.

HYUFD never disappoints, does he?
  • Options

The trend was Remainers increasingly going to Labour - and they had another 10% or so to squeeze to equal 2017. So they can definitely pickup some votes there. And the undecided Labour voters, where will they go?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour would hold 11 seats of the 44 they were forecast to lose to the Tories including Clwyd South, Weaver Vale, Workington, Stoke Central, Bedford, Scunthorpe, Leigh and Dagenham and Rainham.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/27/key-findings-our-mrp
    Cuts the Tory majority by over 20.

If it happens again next weekend and continues to polling day it's down to nothing.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Huh? The MRP poll showed a 68 seat Tory majority.
    I know it did. But they also said if the lead drops to 7 or below it will be a HP - and that's because the vote in the marginals is so close.
  • Options

Yuk.

Treason.
  • Options

RobD said:
    I know I keep saying this but Labour on there is kind of freaky. It mirrors 2017 almost perfectly, even down to the small bumps as each week goes by. They're just lower down.
    Creepy
    Not really. It started close to the line, then diverged, then got back to it, then diverged again.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Or not.

YG seems to be narrowing will be interesting if there is a new MRP midweek.

I go for Tory Maj 40 in next MRP and 10 to 20 in real thing.
    Where I'm at.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828

The new Conservative coalition has two overlapping elements - one is those desperate to see Brexit brought to a conclusion (many of whom believe, I suspect, we will leave if we pass the WA on or before 31/1/20 and may be unaware this is just the start of a process, not the end) and the other is those terrified of Jeremy Corbyn and all his works.
    Johnson's problem longer term is a) Brexit will be delivered at some point for good or ill and b) Corbyn will go and his successor will, I suspect, start to drag Labour back to the centre.
    There's also the small matter of all the spending promises and other commitments made by Johnson and his Party which will need to be delivered and I suspect the next GE will be much more interesting.

• Options

Yuk.

Treason.
    SI units are miles better than Imperial ;)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If it happens again next weekend and continues to polling day it's down to nothing.
    If it happens and if the national VI is a better indicator than the MRP research. Time will tell.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No, I don't think so. Anyone who is ready to vote for Jez would have said so this week with the onslaught of bribes from last week. We're at (or just past) peak Labour.
    Look at the trend and the YouGov.

The majority is squeezing in.
  • Options

Yuk.

Treason.
    SI units are miles better than Imperial ;)
    Off with your head!

Right, off for the night. Duty calls.
  • Options
    egg said:

felix said:

I agree with felix. Do you think the BREX is beginning to look a bit low though?
    Unsure but I do not expect a big majority either way 10-20 at best.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/whatukthinks/status/1200889067463958530
    So if this is repeated next week, we head for a HP it seems
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Yuk.

Treason.
    You really are not having a good evening.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

Labour would need to get the LD vote back under 10% or take Tory votes for that though
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Average lead tonight about 10 or so? Labour are running out of time, I'd guess 2 million votes will have been cast by early this week with 4 million more to go in whilst labour try to close down that gap.........
    It looks at worst a 2017 result with a last 10 days collapse, if not some sort of majority up to and including a landslide
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely bogus comparison, of course. Completely different models. Swing from apples to oranges.

HYUFD never disappoints, does he?
    What do you make of BREX on 2% HY?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Look at the trend and the YouGov.

The majority is squeezing in.
    It's really not. The Labour onslaught is over and they are about 10 points behind in the polls.
This discussion has been closed.