Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab in trouble whilst Labour are on course to increase their

Comments

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

They also say 65+ turnout in 2017 was 75%, they reckon it will go up by 5 points? Why?

Fear of Jez actually winning.
    The highest turnout since at least 1964 though? With youth turnout dropping? I really don't see it
    I do, there's no enthusiasm for Jez this time like there was in 2017 and there is a lot more fear that he might actually win after 2017.
    I can tell you there's a lot of enthusiasm amongst the young (anecdotal of course) moreso than last time, because they think they can actually win. So I guess for the same reason you've cited.

Interesting
    There seems to be less enthusiasm than there was last time. And Labour seem to be banging on about how much they want to give to Boomer women not the young.
    I still cant get my head around what is meant to be progressive about giving money to well off people - including members of the shadow cabinet.
    There is nothing remotely progressive about. It’s a bribe. That’s all.
    The WASPIs are the most inappropriately named pressure group around. Far from being Women Against State Pension Inequality, they are Women Against State Pension Equality. Utterly selfish. If any group deserves the appellation “snowflake” it is them, moaning about the appalling injustice of being given 25 years notice of a pensions change. The absolute horror!
    I certainly do not support the WASPIs. It was Gordon Brown who messed up my pensions by his raid on pension dividend credits
  • Options
    What a fucking liar Corbyn is. Given that he is on the record as believing the exact opposiye for his entire political career, including his leadership years:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34832023

Jeremy Corbyn says he is "not happy" with UK police or security services operating a "shoot-to-kill" policy.

In an interview three days after the Bataclan attacks in Paris, the Labour leader told the BBC such an approach could "often be counter-productive".
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited November 2019
    Three and a half hours of The Irishman. Hmmmmmmm..........
    Way too long. A plot element at two and three quarter hours that the wife and I both went "WTF????" You've invested an evening with an interminable and quite unnecessary three quarters of an hour still to go - and there's just an element that makes you despair. And this is Oscar winner Steven Zaillian - who wrote Schindler's List
    There's nothing new here. Any four episodes of The Sopranos are far better - more complex, better characters, far sharper dialogue. This needed a huge amount of editing down. Too many big egos needed better handling by the big-name producers is my guess. The massively expensive CGI to make de Niro younger just wasn't worth it. And it would have been a much cheaper film if the script were better edited.
    3/10
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

Putting somebody in who would sacrifice anything and anyone to personal ambition is a stupid thing to do. You might as well put a dictator into No. 10
    A MINORITY Corbyn administration is what I would prefer. That way his actions would be restrained. I could cope with a MINORITY Conservative administration too.
    I do not want any of these lunatics to have real, unfettered power.

So you would take any government that would stop Brexit regardless of how bad the PM was?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    BluerBlue said:

I don't know about you, but with 11 campaigning days to go, I'd rather be on the side with the 10+ point lead.

Maybe the nervous exhaustion is getting to me, but I feel almost deliriously happy!

:smile:

Oh absolutely.

On the other hand, the Tories need a substantial lead because only an outright majority will do for them. Labour can potentially seize the initiative if it just closes the gap by enough to create another Hung Parliament. And that's still possible.

In short, PB Tories can't breathe easy until they know this one's in the bag.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    SunnyJim said:

Jonathan said:

Only trouble is that’s undefined.

The remain argument that Brexit will only just be starting with the WA being voted through parliament is of course technically correct.

However, for the vast majority of leavers it is the end point.

You will find the EU falls off the radar of leavers pretty quickly I suspect.

But not of politics or politicians. We are surely going to spend a lot more time hearing about the EU and its rules in the future, even well into the future (ask the Norwegians or Swiss). Leavers who think the EU disappears from our politics or our lives are in for a disappointment.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    IanB2 said:

I have heard in the past that the Electoral Calculus model is based primarily on UNS and might not cope well if we have an unusual election in which swing varies significantly on a regional basis. Is this correct? If so then, should the Tories do just a little better in the Midlands and a little worse in the South than the national VI suggests, this could work significantly in their favour.

My suspicion is that the existing electoral model are useless this time around. This election has a number of unique features such as
    - BOTH leaders loathed and disliked by large numbers of voters
    - Brexit is colouring people's choices differently from the usual left/right split
    Those two factors alone should be enough to derail UNS and the other polling models.
    Tbf Baxter has had various adjustments tacked onto it, making assumptions on things like tactical voting, so rather than UNS it’s an ‘adjusted UNS’ model. But the adjustments don’t look particularly sound to me and are by way of statistical bodges to make its forecasts look more sensible against previous results. Of all the models it’s the least convincing.
    I agree with that. I have been looking at the predictions for Welsh seats as the polls have changed, and I think (i) Baxter is still tuning his model, which is unhelpful if we just want to look at the effects of the polls and (ii) some of the results are now pretty implausible to me.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Too little, too late. This creep is prepared to pretend to throw away his principles for a sniff of power.
    ?

Corbyn has always supported the police using whatever force is necessary in a terrorism situation.

You might be remebering a quote that suggested he didn't but that was an entirely misleadingly edited interview where the answer to one question was shown as the response to a completely different question.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38666914
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Putting somebody in who would sacrifice anything and anyone to personal ambition is a stupid thing to do. You might as well put a dictator into No. 10
    A MINORITY Corbyn administration is what I would prefer. That way his actions would be restrained. I could cope with a MINORITY Conservative administration too.

So you would take any government that would stop Brexit regardless of how bad the PM was?
    Are you being deliberately dense? I never mentioned Brexit
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Way too long. A plot element at two and three quarter hours that the wife and I both went "WTF????" You've invested an evening with an interminable and quite unnecessary three quarters of an hour still to go - and there's just an element that makes you despair. And this is Oscar winner Steven Zaillian - who wrote Schindler's List
    There's nothing new here. Any four episodes of The Sopranos are far better - more complex, better characters, far sharper dialogue. This needed a huge amount of editing down. Too many big egos needed better handling by the big-name producers is my guess. The massively expensive CGI to make de Niro younger just wasn't worth it. And it would have been a much cheaper film if the script were better edited.
    3/10

I’m watching it. I can’t keep up with it for some reason.
  • Options

Did you see this final real-life twist?
    https://twitter.com/tewhalen/status/1200471885257019392?s=19
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

This election reminds me less of 2017 and more of 1987 - Tory nerves jangling despite every poll putting them significantly ahead.

Let's hope the final result is similar.

Campaign 1987, result 1992.

Tonight's YouGov almost exactly matches the Tory and Labour voteshares in 1992 but with the LDs 3% lower
    Had tactical voting been invented then? I remember the 80’s landslides as lab v alliance at war.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

Thank you! Definitely the best visualisation out there.

ps dunno if you know, but in vanilla you can post the graph directly, eg....

:o Might have to steal that trick next time.
    You can literally just ctrl-c ctrl-v it into the text box and it gets auto uploaded into vanilla like magic.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,791
    YouGov study: 11% Tory lead and majority of 68.
    Tonight's polling average: 10.6% Tory lead.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Andy_JS said:

Has the Deltapoll national survey been reported on here? I can't find it using a search.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1200880369693843456

Presumably hidden rounding issues here? +4, -1
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

This election reminds me less of 2017 and more of 1987 - Tory nerves jangling despite every poll putting them significantly ahead.

Tonight's YouGov almost exactly matches the Tory and Labour voteshares in 1992 but with the LDs 3% lower
    But right up till the last five days lab held a lead stretching back years. All this year much more volatility
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

I also want to see the ELBOW before I pack my bags and relocate to Patagonia.

You jest but the conversation has been had in our house.

It is too late should Corbyn get over the line at this GE, but should the hard left still be in control in 2024 then there is a pretty good chance that Labour will win.

The financial impact for us is so severe as to make it prudent to bring forward retirement plans abroad and shifting assets with us.

And if it makes financial sense for a nobody like me you can be pretty certain that all these billionaires Labour are promising to milk will be long gone.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

They also say 65+ turnout in 2017 was 75%, they reckon it will go up by 5 points? Why?

The highest turnout since at least 1964 though? With youth turnout dropping? I really don't see it
    I do, there's no enthusiasm for Jez this time like there was in 2017 and there is a lot more fear that he might actually win after 2017.
    I can tell you there's a lot of enthusiasm amongst the young (anecdotal of course) moreso than last time, because they think they can actually win. So I guess for the same reason you've cited.

Interesting
    There seems to be less enthusiasm than there was last time. And Labour seem to be banging on about how much they want to give to Boomer women not the young.
    Well they know such young people as will turn out will overwhelmingly be on their side anyway. Older vote bribes are needed, especially as the Tories have not been so foolish as to be honest with older voters in taking away some bribes this time.
    These are US figures, but I suspect UK not very different. As long as this process continues, the youth will vote differently to their grandparents.

https://twitter.com/KBAndersen/status/1198653456581562368?s=19
    Yes but by 34 according to the ONS over 50% will be property owners and thus potential capitalists, even as 55% of 25 to 34s rent

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/milestonesjourneyingintoadulthood/2019-02-18

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    BluerBlue said:

What a fucking liar Corbyn is. Given that he is on the record as believing the exact opposiye for his entire political career, including his leadership years:

Jeremy Corbyn says he is "not happy" with UK police or security services operating a "shoot-to-kill" policy.

In an interview three days after the Bataclan attacks in Paris, the Labour leader told the BBC such an approach could "often be counter-productive".
    Obviously the police don't operate a shoot-to-kill policy, so your confusion (to put it charitably) is difficult to understand.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Current Tory Lead by Pollster:

Opinium: +15
    DeltaPoll: +13
    Kantar: +11
    Survation: +11
    ComRes: +10
    YouGov: +9
    Panelbase: +8
    ICM: +7
    BMG: +6

Polls from 23rd November or later only.

Take out the 6% and 15%, that's a lead of 7-13%.

Not bad. Could be better against Corbyn
  • Options
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

Had tactical voting been invented then? I remember the 80’s landslides as lab v alliance at war.
    There was heavy tactical voting in 1992, hence Labour gained 42 seats even as the Tories won an overall majority of 21 to stay in power
  • Options

I was just thinking about the NATO summit. We’ve all spoken about Trump, but what about the EU leaders? Presumably the last thing they want is chaos, so although they won’t directly intervene we might get some friendly vibes and warm words about the PM. On the other hand, someone is bound to say a deal will take forever to strike.
    Hmmm

Remember, they will all be more concerned with what their domestic electorates think, rather than how it will affect our election. If it suits Macron to point score against Johnson then he will do so.
    I have no idea of whether that is the case, or what EU politicians will believe their electorates want to hear. However, I would have thought that they would want to emphasise the continuation of a close relationship with the UK in NATO.
    It's Trump that Johnson has to worry about.
  • Options

I can't recall you posting about much else over the last couple of years.

Perhaps I have you wrong and stopping Brexit isn't your primary political motivation.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Andy_JS said:

Has the Deltapoll national survey been reported on here? I can't find it using a search.

Could it be a hidden dnv share since the shares quoted sum to 95?
  • Options
    15% lead will give a majority of almost 200 not 110.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

But not of politics or politicians. We are surely going to spend a lot more time hearing about the EU and its rules in the future, even well into the future (ask the Norwegians or Swiss). Leavers who think the EU disappears from our politics or our lives are in for a disappointment.

I agree that the 'bubble' will still obsess but for leavers they won't care.

Until the Tories use the subject at each election to turn the crank on Labour/LD's not being willing to stand up to the EU during negotiations.
  • Options

To be fair, the mob’s investment decisions always seem shrewd. I’d invest with them.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Andy_JS said:

Could it be a hidden dnv share since the shares quoted sum to 95?
    SNP/PC?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting
    Well they know such young people as will turn out will overwhelmingly be on their side anyway. Older vote bribes are needed, especially as the Tories have not been so foolish as to be honest with older voters in taking away some bribes this time.
    These are US figures, but I suspect UK not very different. As long as this process continues, the youth will vote differently to their grandparents.

Yes but by 34 according to the ONS over 50% will be property owners and thus potential capitalists, even as 55% of 25 to 34s rent

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/milestonesjourneyingintoadulthood/2019-02-18

Quite a marked trend to higher age of ownership* and lower rates of ownership.

*is a heavily mortgaged property truly owned?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

There was heavy tactical voting in 1992, hence Labour gained 42 seats even as the Tories won an overall majority of 21 to stay in power
    Could still be LAB overall majority but Boris still in there!
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Gabs3 said:

SunnyJim said:

No. I would be unhappy with the antisemite as PM. I would be even more unhappy for a narcissistic, self-promoting liar to be PM.
    The choice is between bl**dy awful and f*****g awful. That is not my fault

Telling a lie is worse than antisemitism?
    Really?
    My suspicion is that many remainers would vote for anybody, regardless of character or impact on the UK, as long as it saved their beloved EU.
    Jeremy Corbyn's foreign policy would not be constrained one iota by being a minority.
    This sort of Margarat Beckett idiocy is exactly how Labour for in the mess it is. If only there were examples of anti-semitic extremists being facilitated in to a minority governament and then taking total power from there... Godwin yourself - I find it staggering anyone can be so daft as to think these people will only take an inch if that is what they are given. Don't learn the lesson of history and you will repeat it.
  • Options

I was just thinking about the NATO summit. We’ve all spoken about Trump, but what about the EU leaders? Presumably the last thing they want is chaos, so although they won’t directly intervene we might get some friendly vibes and warm words about the PM. On the other hand, someone is bound to say a deal will take forever to strike.
    Hmmm

Remember, they will all be more concerned with what their domestic electorates think, rather than how it will affect our election. If it suits Macron to point score against Johnson then he will do so.
    I have no idea of whether that is the case, or what EU politicians will believe their electorates want to hear. However, I would have thought that they would want to emphasise the continuation of a close relationship with the UK in NATO.
    It's Trump that Johnson has to worry about.
    Yes, I think that’s right. Most of NATO (minus France and Germany) will see us as worth buttering up in a defence context. Boris might get quite a few matey photos with other leaders.
    I think Trump will try to do him a favour and be “told” the NHS is “not for sale”. But as you imply, there’s every chance he goes off piste.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It isn't but in the minds of the buyers it is.

Homes and castles and sudden change in political outlook.

It has been the same for god knows how long...today's boomers were once the most radical, leftist generation ever.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

I agree. I have agreed with nichomar that I can rent a room in the hacienda when LAB win
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

SNP/PC?

Them too. Switching to the unionist parties!

• Options
    edited November 2019
    In advance of likely defeat, Labour civil war and blame game begins.

'With Mr Johnson appearing to be on course for a majority, Labour sources say campaign managers loyal to Mr Corbyn are deliberately blocking pro-Remain London MPs Sir Keir Starmer and Emily Thornberry – both leadership contenders from the moderate wing – from making TV appearances. Corbynista favourites such as Rebecca Long-Bailey and Laura Pidcock are said to be preferred for the most prestigious media slots instead.

Labour have reacted to the threat to their ‘red wall’ by vowing to change strategy and concentrate on wooing pro-Leave Labour voters across the Midlands and the North. Northern Labour candidates fear the switch may have come too late, and are furious about the party’s advocacy of a second referendum and support for Remain.
    They blame a ‘cabal’ of North London party figures, led by Sir Keir and Ms Thornberry, for putting pressure on ‘closet Brexiteer’ Mr Corbyn to appeal to Remain voters.
    One senior Labour figure defending a Northern seat said last night: ‘We told the party leadership time and time again that this “Made In Islington”, North London pro-Remain policy would cost us dear in the North. Instead, we’ve had what looks like an anti-Brexit strategy cooked up in London where the main enemy is the Liberal Democrats, when here in the North it’s the Tories. It’s been absolutely pathetic leadership from the top.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7742395/Poll-reveals-Tories-13-point-lead-Labour.html
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    SunnyJim said:

BluerBlue said:

You jest but the conversation has been had in our house.

It is too late should Corbyn get over the line at this GE, but should the hard left still be in control in 2024 then there is a pretty good chance that Labour will win.

The financial impact for us is so severe as to make it prudent to bring forward retirement plans abroad and shifting assets with us.

And if it makes financial sense for a nobody like me you can be pretty certain that all these billionaires Labour are promising to milk will be long gone.

If you don’t mind me asking, what are the financial impacts that would push you abroad, and where would you go to get a better result? I have quite a few clients who are nervous about a Corbyn government, but none that have yet decided that the tax measures in the labour manifesto would make the U.K. unmanageably expensive compared with the cost of moving and the tax rates applying in other places they’d like to live. The biggest impact is on those that receive most of their ‘income’ in the form of capital gains - they would be hit hard by the alignment of marginal rates. On the other hand the lack of aggressive IHT changes has been a (good) surprise for those who were expecting wholesale removal of business and agricultural property reliefs.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

BluerBlue said:

I agree. I have agreed with nichomar that I can rent a room in the hacienda when LAB win
    Oh ye of little faith. I’m buying up property in Bootle in anticipation of a property boom there when they see the light.
  • Options

Thanks, hadn't seen that. Although to be fair to their successors, they didn't exactly have the ability to inflict violence on people who got in the way of their investment decisions like the Teamsters could.....
  • Options
    I'm most worried by that Labour 34% share tbh.......
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Average share tonight was 32.6%.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    BluerBlue said:

Only a couple of weeks ago Corbyn was saying it would be better if al-Baghdadi could have been arrested. As though you can just rock up to his hideout in Syria and serve a warrant. At best Corbyn is stupendously naive, but I believe in reality he would rather do nothing then dirty his hands as he would see it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

MaxPB said:

I would be happy with a Labour minority govt. Happier than with any form of Boris govt.

You're happy for the Anti-Semite to become PM? A clear case of Brexit insanity...
    No. I would be unhappy with the antisemite as PM. I would be even more unhappy for a narcissistic, self-promoting liar to be PM.
    So personal failings are worse than anti-semitism.
    Thank you for claritying your worldview.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019
    glw said:

BluerBlue said:

Only a couple of weeks ago Corbyn was saying it would be better if al-Baghdadi could have been arrested. As though you can just rock up to his hideout in Syria and serve a warrant. At best Corbyn is stupendously naive, but I believe in reality he would rather do nothing then dirty his hands as he would see it.
    Nah, Corbyn spent the whole of the 80s in favour of a shoot first, hawkish policy. He’s just being consistent.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting

Yes, as it gets less mortgaged and more owned as you age and pay off more and more of the mortgage, the key is getting on the ladder in the first place.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Telling a lie is worse than antisemitism?
    Really?
    My suspicion is that many remainers would vote for anybody, regardless of character or impact on the UK, as long as it saved their beloved EU.
    Once someone is appointed PM in the UK they have a huge range of powers at their disposal. It doesn't matter at all whether they're running a majority, minority or coalition government.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Yesterday the FT polling average was on Con 43%, Lab 32%, LD 14%. I'm not sure those figures are going to change at all as a result of tonight's polls because although there has been a slight movement to Labour it may not be enough to move them up to 33%. It may do.
    https://www.ft.com/content/263615ca-d873-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited November 2019

glw said:

BluerBlue said:

Nah, Corbyn spent the whole of the 80s in favour of a shoot first, hawkish policy. Just not for our side.
    I've just recalled another recent incident. There was Brit rescued in the Phillipines with his wife last week, who were held captive by Abu Sayyaf. British forces were involved in that. Can you imagine Corbyn having to make decisions about such things?
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

I can't recall you posting about much else over the last couple of years.
    Perhaps I have you wrong and stopping Brexit isn't your primary political motivation.
    You obviously missed the last 6 months or so were I have been saying that Brexit has to happen because it has to be proven to be a failure before Leavers will stop banging on about it?
    And then you have the cheek to project your prejudices on to me and blame for it?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Polruan said:

If you don’t mind me asking, what are the financial impacts that would push you abroad, and where would you go to get a better result? I have quite a few clients who are nervous about a Corbyn government, but none that have yet decided that the tax measures in the labour manifesto would make the U.K. unmanageably expensive compared with the cost of moving and the tax rates applying in other places they’d like to live. The biggest impact is on those that receive most of their ‘income’ in the form of capital gains - they would be hit hard by the alignment of marginal rates. On the other hand the lack of aggressive IHT changes has been a (good) surprise for those who were expecting wholesale removal of business and agricultural property reliefs.

Day 1
    My income tax bill increases by over £6000pa.
    Add in the impact on DC pensions of the share transfers plus CGT changes etc.

And I think you can be sure that as the reality hits of tax receipts not matching Labour forecasts then the net will be expanded.

As for options abroad; at the moment you could retire to Portugal, QROP's to somewhere like Malta and take NHR for a tax-free income.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Yesterday the FT polling average was on Con 43%, Lab 32%, LD 14%. I'm not sure those figures are going to change at all as a result of tonight's polls because although there has been a slight movement to Labour it may not be enough to move them up to 33%. It may do.

11% lead whilst many of the postals have gone out - and get returned.
  • Options

glw said:

BluerBlue said:

Nah, Corbyn spent the whole of the 80s in favour of a shoot first, hawkish policy. He’s just being consistent.
    Will anyone believe the terrorist bootlicker?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HYUFD said:

In advance of likely defeat, Labour civil war and blame game begins.

'With Mr Johnson appearing to be on course for a majority, Labour sources say campaign managers loyal to Mr Corbyn are deliberately blocking pro-Remain London MPs Sir Keir Starmer and Emily Thornberry – both leadership contenders from the moderate wing – from making TV appearances. Corbynista favourites such as Rebecca Long-Bailey and Laura Pidcock are said to be preferred for the most prestigious media slots instead.

Labour have reacted to the threat to their ‘red wall’ by vowing to change strategy and concentrate on wooing pro-Leave Labour voters across the Midlands and the North. Northern Labour candidates fear the switch may have come too late, and are furious about the party’s advocacy of a second referendum and support for Remain.
    They blame a ‘cabal’ of North London party figures, led by Sir Keir and Ms Thornberry, for putting pressure on ‘closet Brexiteer’ Mr Corbyn to appeal to Remain voters.
    One senior Labour figure defending a Northern seat said last night: ‘We told the party leadership time and time again that this “Made In Islington”, North London pro-Remain policy would cost us dear in the North. Instead, we’ve had what looks like an anti-Brexit strategy cooked up in London where the main enemy is the Liberal Democrats, when here in the North it’s the Tories. It’s been absolutely pathetic leadership from the top.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7742395/Poll-reveals-Tories-13-point-lead-Labour.html

Perhaps they should have voted for one or other of the deals then
  • Options
    glw said:

glw said:

BluerBlue said:

Nah, Corbyn spent the whole of the 80s in favour of a shoot first, hawkish policy. Just not for our side.
    I've just recalled another recent incident. There was Brit rescued in the Phillipines with his wife last week, who were held captive by Abu Sayyaf. British forces were involved in that. Can you imagine Corbyn having to make decisions about such things?
    I missed that one. Impressive as ever.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    SunnyJim said:

Polruan said:

Day 1

And I think you can be sure that as the reality hits of tax receipts not matching Labour forecasts then the net will be expanded.

As for options abroad; at the moment you could retire to Portugal, QROP's to somewhere like Malta and take NHR for a tax-free income.

Thanks for replying. Obviously a pretty high income level to generate £6k extra tax from a 5% rate rise but I can see that’s enough money to be worth thinking about if you don’t have strong ties to a particular location. Portugal is certainly a popular option among those who are OK with living there - haven’t really looked at Malta.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

BluerBlue said:

Oh ye of little faith. I’m buying up property in Bootle in anticipation of a property boom there when they see the light.
    I have now moved in with nichomar to save on the fuel bills.

But I hope we can still win go BORIS! 😊
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Chris said:

BluerBlue said:

Obviously the police don't operate a shoot-to-kill policy, so your confusion (to put it charitably) is difficult to understand.
    They do if they suspect the terrorist has a bomb belt

Shot to the head - for instant lights out.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Polruan said:

Thanks for replying. Obviously a pretty high income level to generate £6k extra tax from a 5% rate rise but I can see that’s enough money to be worth thinking about if you don’t have strong ties to a particular location. Portugal is certainly a popular option among those who are OK with living there - haven’t really looked at Malta.

Malta would just be the preferred transfer destination for the QROP's. My pension would qualify to be drawn down tax free in Portugal as it is being paid from an EU state.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nunu2 said:

Average share tonight was 32.6%.
    Some pollsters I trust more than others.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38666914
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Yep. That is one positive. At this point the lead was narrowing fast in 2017.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    SunnyJim said:

Cyclefree said:

The WASPIs are the most inappropriately named pressure group around. Far from being Women Against State Pension Inequality, they are Women Against State Pension Equality. Utterly selfish. If any group deserves the appellation “snowflake” it is them, moaning about the appalling injustice of being given 25 years notice of a pensions change. The absolute horror!

My feeling is much of Labour's bounce is from WASPI's (and their husbands) loving the idea of free cash.

If Labour don't quite stop the Tories this time you can be pretty sure they will have learnt that freebies for everyone is probably going to be good enough next time.
    The money is not “free”. It will be paid for. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

I'd imagine that people using postal ballots would be motivated to return theirs earlier this election in order to beat the weather / Christmas posting rush. Does some resourceful person have any data about this kind of thing?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

This is not 2017. People need to get that out of their heads.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

I'd imagine that people using postal ballots would be motivated to return theirs earlier this election in order to beat the weather / Christmas posting rush. Does some resourceful person have any data about this kind of thing?
    Someone showed me some data on here the other day suggesting postal votes go back in quickly. Afraid I didn’t bookmark it though.
    Does make sense I suppose - why sit on it? When I’ve had them in the past I do recall sending it quickly.
  • Options
    Daily Mail:

"Joe Twyman, co-founder of Deltapoll, warned the Conservatives that their lead could shrink in the final days of the campaign, saying: ‘The difference between a majority for Theresa May in 2017 and the hung parliament she ended up with was just 75 votes."
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Cyclefree said:

SunnyJim said:

Cyclefree said:

My feeling is much of Labour's bounce is from WASPI's (and their husbands) loving the idea of free cash.

If Labour don't quite stop the Tories this time you can be pretty sure they will have learnt that freebies for everyone is probably going to be good enough next time.
    The money is not “free”. It will be paid for. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.
    Anyone who believes the electorate incapable of being deluded is deluding themselves....
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Cyclefree said:

We know that...and so do the WASPI's i'm sure.

However, they can quietly put there cross in the Labour box happy in the knowledge they will get a cheque through the door for thousands of pounds.

The Tories might get over the line with a majority this time* but they won't if they face a hard-left Labour in 2024 who will have no limits to their vote buying.

There is no way to compete.

*I actually think Labour have got a couple of last minute offers to reveal. They may as well offer to scrap student fees and refund all those who have already paid.

That will definitely be enough to stop a Tory majority and will probably get them enough seats to get JC in to #10 on the back of a coalition.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Daily Mail:

"Joe Twyman, co-founder of Deltapoll, warned the Conservatives that their lead could shrink in the final days of the campaign, saying: ‘The difference between a majority for Theresa May in 2017 and the hung parliament she ended up with was just 75 votes."

It could also increase. ;)
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited November 2019

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting
    I still cant get my head around what is meant to be progressive about giving money to well off people - including members of the shadow cabinet.
    I certainly do not support the WASPIs. It was Gordon Brown who messed up my pensions by his raid on pension dividend credits

Gordon Brown will be a wimp compared with what John McDonnell will inflict on pensions.
    Hopefully your pension fund doesn't have any investments in utilities.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Once you've sent your postal vote, is there any way to check if it has arrived?
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019
    nunu2 said:

BluerBlue said:

nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Once you've sent your postal vote, is there any way to check if it has arrived?
    No. I always used to be paranoid that I had cocked it up and accidentally spoiled it somehow via using the wrong envelope for the wrong bit or something.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Daily Mail:

How on earth do they get the "75" figure from?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    SunnyJim said:

Cyclefree said:

However, they can quietly put there cross in the Labour box happy in the knowledge they will get a cheque through the door for thousands of pounds.

The Tories might get over the line with a majority this time* but they won't if they face a hard-left Labour in 2024 who will have no limits to their vote buying.

*I actually think Labour have got a couple of last minute offers to reveal. They may as well offer to scrap student fees and refund all those who have already paid.

That will definitely be enough to stop a Tory majority and will probably get them enough seats to get JC in to #10 on the back of a coalition.
    They won’t get a cheque in the post. They’ll get an amount added onto their existing pension payable over 5-10 years, depending on age.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    MaxPB said:

nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

This is not 2017. People need to get that out of their heads.
    I;m afraid it's understandable why people would think it was. There does seem to be 5-10% of the electorate which is ashamed of Corbyn for 95% of the time, but happy to put him in Downing street when given the chance.
  • Options

RobD said:

Daily Mail:

I looked that one up. There were four or five tight enough losses for it to be technically true.
  • Options
    There's only two weeks left. Most people who vote by post (oldies) are not gonna wait until the last minute to post their vote in.

I dont Labour have closed the gap fast enough in the polls this time to close the gap somewhat in the postal votes. The lead is actually above what it was in 2017 I think.
  • Options

RobD said:

Daily Mail:

Sum of the majorities of the seats May needed? Not sure if it's accurate.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

SunnyJim said:

Cyclefree said:

They won’t get a cheque in the post. They’ll get an amount added onto their existing pension payable over 5-10 years, depending on age.
    It's funny that Labour haven't highlighted this fact.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

SunnyJim said:

Cyclefree said:

It's funny that Labour haven't highlighted this fact.
    I hadn’t clocked that either. If you were cheeky and made it ten years more often than five, and had some sort of “mark time” principle for pension increases, you could make that affordable.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Daily Mail:

This will be a line pushed by the Tories big time in the next few days to get their voters turning out. It's certainly working on me, who's been bricking it these past few days that Corbyn may actually become PM. I'll be down at the polling station at 6.59am.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Tory hopes of a majority are over. It's all about the hung parliament now.

On a night when 3 of the 5 polls out show double digit leads and one of the other 2 is at 9, this must be the most ridiculous and spectacularly wrongheaded comment
    I like a challenge - give me time.
    Spurs are going to win every premier league game left in the current season whilst conceding 2 goals in the last 10 or so minutes in each and every one of them.

I'll fetch my beer.
  • Options

Gordon Brown will be a wimp compared with what John McDonnell will inflict on pensions.

Once the voter anger starts at the tax revenues that Labour promised not being there McDonnell will start eyeing up private pensions. There is already a history of states stealing their citizens private pensions.

Scaremongering you say?

Read what Anne Pettifor, member of Labour's 'Economic Advisory Committee', convened by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell and reporting to Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn has to say...

Nationalise pension investing, says economist.

A senior economic adviser to the Labour Party has called for the nationalisation of the UK’s pensions system, suggesting a new national investment bank should manage the public’s savings rather than private asset managers...

https://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/news/nationalise-pension-investing-says-economist-who-called-crisis/a1157780
  • Options
    Comfort zone. Labour win when they are talking outside this zone.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1200912137855500288
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

Once the voter anger starts at the tax revenues that Labour promised not being there McDonnell will start eyeing up private pensions. There is already a history of states stealing their citizens private pensions.

Scaremongering you say?

Read what Anne Pettifor, member of Labour's 'Economic Advisory Committee', convened by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell and reporting to Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn has to say...

A senior economic adviser to the Labour Party has called for the nationalisation of the UK’s pensions system, suggesting a new national investment bank should manage the public’s savings rather than private asset managers...

https://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/news/nationalise-pension-investing-says-economist-who-called-crisis/a1157780
    Spot on, plus they will find a way to raid pension funds for so called public investments.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

Daily Mail:

This will be a line pushed by the Tories big time in the next few days to get their voters turning out. It's certainly working on me, who's been bricking it these past few days that Corbyn may actually become PM. I'll be down at the polling station at 6.59am.
    Even the leaflet I received in an ultra safe seat for the tories talked about the importance of getting a majority in a way that suggested the outcome in the seat itself was potentially in doubt.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

Comfort zone. Labour win when they are talking outside this zone.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1200912137855500288

Seems to me like he is unintentionally saying that there is no risk of the NHS being sold off and destroyed under the Tories, since there will be people to fight for it even then. So that's a green light to vote Tory from him.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

SunnyJim said:

Scaremongering you say?

Spot on, plus they will find a way to raid pension funds for so called public investments.
    If Labour win I'm cashing mine out straight away and sticking it in a fixed term something for a while. Only had it three years and I've worked damn hard for it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    How do you say goodbye in French without saying au revoir?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

SunnyJim said:

Cyclefree said:

But some of the gullible s believe they will get a cheque for £ 30,000 in the post.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

I think there are restrictions on reporting on postal votes. Not totally sure.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Just waiting for Survation!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:
    The French is more subtle, as it implies until I see you again. The english is more about God being with you.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:
    Adieu.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

RobD said:

Daily Mail:

They must be using the fact that the Tories were 4 seats short of a majority if you exclude Sinn Fein, although I make that figure 50 votes not 75.
    If you take the official 326 target, they were 8 seats short and the number of voters that would have had to change their vote was 399 votes.
    http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative
    (It's half the majority since one voter changing from the opposition to the Tories reduces the majority by two votes. So in Kensington 11 voters would have had to change from Lab to Con for the Conservatives to win).
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    kle4 said:

Daily Mail:

Even the leaflet I received in an ultra safe seat for the tories talked about the importance of getting a majority in a way that suggested the outcome in the seat itself was potentially in doubt.
    I find with Leavers the message of needing a majority to get Brexit done works, while Tory Remainers respond better to the message of voting Tory to keep out Corbyn
  • Options
    Polruan said:

SunnyJim said:

Polruan said:

Day 1

With the Wilson /Callaghan brand of Socialism the marginal tax rate hit 97% which resulted in the wealthy leaving in droves & the tax take in free fall.
This discussion has been closed.