Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2019 podcast from Keiran Pedley – now with Ipsos MORI

Comments

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

RobD said:

Two years old but might be instructive.

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL
    Surprisingly illogical too.

Buses aren't a natural monopoly any more than airlines.

Underground cables are.
  • Options

Out of interest, for those who support the policy, why not nationalise the Virgin Media infrastructure on the same basis? After all it was once the nationalised telegraph (I think you can draw a line back through Cable and Wireless).

Why would I pay virgin media for my connection when British Broadband (tm) will give it to me for free?
  • Options

Out of interest, for those who support the policy, why not nationalise the Virgin Media infrastructure on the same basis? After all it was once the nationalised telegraph (I think you can draw a line back through Cable and Wireless).

Well given Virgin will basically not have a consumer business come 2030, the Commie Cable Company can just seize the infrastructure when it goes bust.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Who are the 3% who want the army run by the private sector?!
    That's how if was done before Oliver Cromwell nationalised the New Model Army...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902

As a loyal Virgin Media customer, I’d back that. Ideally everyone would get the same service as me, and I’d not have to endure painfully broken conference calls anymore.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Why not free leccy and gas? I mean fuck it, tax at 85% and free utilities, basic weekly ration allowance, make us all completely dependent on the State
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is there anything that Labour isn't offering for free at the moment?

Owls?

I miss the good old days...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    How does free broadband work if there is a problem with government delivering it, since there won’t be any alternative ?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited November 2019

But Openreach does not sell to the consumer so how are they planning to give everyone free broadband?

They're not. This is a comedy proposal an opposition can offer when they know they'll never be in power to deliver it.

It's basically an acknowledgement Labour have given up, and are just trying to limit losses.
  • Options

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    Schools is the stand out there for me.
    Are the 6% who want their schools run by the private sector the same 6% who send their kids to schools run by the private sector?
    Could be.
  • Options

Why would I pay virgin media for my connection when British Broadband (tm) will give it to me for free?
    People pay for private healthcare, and private schooling...
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

As a loyal Virgin Media customer, I’d back that. Ideally everyone would get the same service as me, and I’d not have to endure painfully broken conference calls anymore.
    Free multi-gigabit broadband and 6th form noise cancelling in my local Costa is all I ask from TrotTelecom.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Andrew said:

But Openreach does not sell to the consumer so how are they planning to give everyone free broadband?

They're not. This is a comedy proposal an opposition can offer when they know they'll never be in government to deliver it.
    I feel someone making a 'Like the Tories with a Brexit referendum proposal?' comparison is on its way.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    Alistair said:

moonshine said:

What is with Corbyn wanting to nationalise companies whose best days have long since passed. Royal Mail. Centralised electricity providers. Fibre broadband.

Forget 2030, by 2025 and probably much earlier, anyone in a rural area without fibre (and many others besides) will be getting fast and affordable satellite internet from SpaceX. Corbyn’s response: “let’s renationalise the company likely to be most financially impacted by this!”.

And these clowns have floated the idea of nationalising the management of my pension because it’s “too important to leave in the hands of asset managers”.

At least someone has taken Boris aside and let him know he doesn’t need to dig thousands of miles of trenches to achieve the same result.

Tiresome.

Satellite Internet? Yes, I'm sure gamers will be satisfied with half second latency in perfect conditions with no clouds . Flocking to it they will be.
    Have a read about SpaceX’s Starlink project and come back and tell me if you still want to own shares in a traditional ISP or to pay billions to build out fibre in low density areas.

https://caseyhandmer.wordpress.com/2019/11/02/starlink-is-a-very-big-deal/
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Why not free leccy and gas? I mean fuck it, tax at 85% and free utilities, basic weekly ration allowance, make us all completely dependent on the State

As opposed to being completely dependent on private utilities.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    Jonathan said:

This broadband policy is all talk talk.

:)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

They won’t have to nationalise it, as this policy would put Virgin Media out of business.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited November 2019

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL

Underground cables are.
    Bus services were a hell of a lot better when they were run by the National Bus Company.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Labour's gone mad.

Anyone over the age to 30 will run a mile I'd have thought.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Alistair said:

moonshine said:

What is with Corbyn wanting to nationalise companies whose best days have long since passed. Royal Mail. Centralised electricity providers. Fibre broadband.

Forget 2030, by 2025 and probably much earlier, anyone in a rural area without fibre (and many others besides) will be getting fast and affordable satellite internet from SpaceX. Corbyn’s response: “let’s renationalise the company likely to be most financially impacted by this!”.

And these clowns have floated the idea of nationalising the management of my pension because it’s “too important to leave in the hands of asset managers”.

At least someone has taken Boris aside and let him know he doesn’t need to dig thousands of miles of trenches to achieve the same result.

Tiresome.

Satellite Internet? Yes, I'm sure gamers will be satisfied with half second latency in perfect conditions with no clouds . Flocking to it they will be.
    The satellites are in low earth orbit, latency will be closer to a mobile connection than older satellite internet services.

For longer distances they may even be faster than terrestrial fibre as the signals between satellites (lasers eventually) will travel faster in a vacuum than down a fibre. IIRC beyond about 1,000 km the satellites should win. Financial trading might be an early adopter of these new constellations because of this.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited November 2019

Markets which are completely different because of the way the state intervenes in them.

65% of lines are run by non-Openreach providers. In your example 6.5% seems more likely...

Wait, will businesses pay?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

Well given Virgin will basically not have a consumer business come 2030, the Commie Cable Company can just seize the infrastructure when it goes bust.
    And we all get free fibre Broadand

Poor Richard Branson and Rupert Murdoch make less money how sad never mind.
  • Options

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL

Underground cables are.
    Indeed. And as if the public have a fucking clue about the idea of nationalising broadband until you offer it to them.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Remember part nationalising BT means you're part nationalising the UK's largest mobile operator, EE.

Kevin Bacon will be appalled!
    No it doesn't.

Openreach is already legally seperate from BT. They won't touch EE.
    Presumably BT - the actual BT - will be forced to drop its broadband offering, so, er, definitely an effect on EE...
    Where does it say that?

BT will be able to compete as they do today, they'll just have to use the infrastructure right now they charge everyone else to use. Seems a lot fairer to me.
    Oh you really don't remember the GPO do you? How sweet.
    Broadband provided by GPO was definitely slower.
    You could only get one mobile. And it only had 4G. Eee, we suffered in those days.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

If Corbyn got into power, that's precisely what would happen. These fellas believe the Venezuelan economic model is more desirable than ours. So, mass starvation would be preferable to using food banks. Better for everyone to starve than just a few.
  • Options
    I'll say this about Jezza and co, they have shifted the election away from Brexit. Good move, everyone is bored of that unicorn and wants a shiny new panacea.
  • Options

Good idea free heating then we could save on winter fuel allowance.

Winner
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

You'd have thought wrong. I'm over 30 and like the idea.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

It might even get Boris some more Tory remain votes. “Bugger me, no matter how badly Brexit goes the Government won’t nationalise my shed”.
  • Options

Who were Virgin media?
  • Options

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL

Underground cables are.
    Indeed. And as if the public have a fucking clue about the idea of nationalising broadband until you offer it to them.
    You don't know how it's going to work now!! Labour hasn't thought it important to explain how, for example, it is compatible with EU state aid rules.
  • Options

After almost 10 years of austerity politics, I'm enjoying the 'batshit crazy public spending pledges' election.

Will the debate just be Boz v Jez riffing on what they're going to give away?

Yes. Tory loyalists will say their batshit crazy incontinent spending plans are perfectly sensible. Labour loyalists will say their batshit crazy incontinent spending plans are perfectly sensible. Nobody will point out that their batshit crazy incontinent spending plans are batshit crazy and incontinent. And they are going to piss the country away.
  • Options
    This is also the Trump approach. Get people talking about it.

The Tories have done Labour's work for them, their questions will be "well what will you do"?

I am astonished the Tories didn't see it.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Andrew said:

They're not. This is a comedy proposal an opposition can offer when they know they'll never be in power to deliver it.

It's basically an acknowledgement Labour have given up, and are just trying to limit losses.
    This exactly.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL

Underground cables are.
    Bus services were a hell of a lot better when they were run by the National Bus Company.
    Wouldn't vote Corbyn's Labour in a month of Sundays but even I agree on trains and buses - the former in particular are a national embarrassment and the fares are a disgrace.

The broadband grab is just weird, but I'm sure the youth vote will love it.
  • Options

The Tories have done Labour's work for them, their questions will be "well what will you do"?

The Tories haven’t responded have they?
  • Options
    Noo said:
    The message is a decent enough one, but it was a bit long - the joke of it was made 30 seconds in, I don't think another 90 seconds was needed to make the same points. No the message is not diluted by it being a whole 2 minutes long, but it'd be like saying 'Corbyn is a commie' five times in a Tory broadcast. 2 or 3 would do it.
  • Options

Richard Branson basically does nothing other than license a brand to Liberty Global, and even before that it was basically NTL after all the other companies had merged.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Jonathan said:

Remember part nationalising BT means you're part nationalising the UK's largest mobile operator, EE.

Kevin Bacon will be appalled!
    No it doesn't.

Openreach is already legally seperate from BT. They won't touch EE.
    Presumably BT - the actual BT - will be forced to drop its broadband offering, so, er, definitely an effect on EE...
    Where does it say that?

BT will be able to compete as they do today, they'll just have to use the infrastructure right now they charge everyone else to use. Seems a lot fairer to me.
    Oh you really don't remember the GPO do you? How sweet.
    Broadband provided by GPO was definitely slower.
    You could only get one mobile. And it only had 4G. Eee, we suffered in those days.
    You mean “them days“, I think.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2019
    ... .
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Jesus. How short sighted.

And everyone else involved in business providing the wealth that runs public services will take note, take cover, or flee.

You really do not get what the knock on impact of confiscation will be do you?
  • Options
    Hearing Plaid have won the Neath council by-election with 54% of the vote.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Made me laugh

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7687351/Jeremy-Corbyn-condemned-candidates.html

That's the tory election flyers taken care of then
  • Options

Dear Corbynistas, Branson doesn’t own Virgin Media anymore

https://uk.pcmag.com/virgin-media/83994/dear-corbynistas-branson-doesnt-own-virgin-media-anymore
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I'll say this about Jezza and co, they have shifted the election away from Brexit. Good move, everyone is bored of that unicorn and wants a shiny new panacea.

If the public were bored of Brexit why will they return outcomes likely to prolong the arguments about it? Maybe they should care more about it, so that it gets resolved, rather than deciding based on other reasons at GEs, then spending the next years moaning that Brexit is not sorted.
  • Options
    Has the government ever purchased a single market participant and then give their product away free to customers?

I think most (all?) previous nationalisations have at least nationalised materially all market participants.
  • Options

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL

Underground cables are.
    You don't know how it's going to work now!! Labour hasn't thought it important to explain how, for example, it is compatible with EU state aid rules.
    True. But, sophistry. A good policy.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1195110530056409089
    Jason said:

If Corbyn got into power, that's precisely what would happen. These fellas believe the Venezuelan economic model is more desirable than ours. So, mass starvation would be preferable to using food banks. Better for everyone to starve than just a few.
    Quite. Eliminate inequality by the simple expedient of making everybody without the means to emigrate dirt poor. HOWEVER...
    GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

I fear that we underestimate at our peril the attraction of "free" everything. Labour can get a hearing for all of these ideas if it can convince a sufficient number of voters that they'll all be paid for by other people, i.e. "the rich" (variously defined as 'billionaires whom we all know have effectively infinite amounts of cash, none of which they deserve to possess and which should therefore be spent on me' or 'everybody in the country with an income at least £1 per year higher than mine.')
  • Options

Yes Corbyn is Britain Trump
  • Options

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL

Underground cables are.
    Arguably this is true. I've been in places, particularly rural areas and/or the South of England, where buses are so sparse it's a real problem (for example, last bus at 6pm).
  • Options
    Brexit trumps any economic policy. You can promise anything and still cost us less than that. Free Owls suddenly look prudent.
  • Options

Who were Virgin media?
    What about their employees ?
  • Options

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

McDonnell's added another target to nationalise.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1195099753060671488

Superb policy. Get broadband to everyone to bolster the economy. Brilliant stuff.
    But why state run? I can understand rolling out the fibre infrastructure, but why should the government be running the only ISP in the country?
    It's a natural monopoly. Disraeli nationised the telegraph wires for much the same reasons. Spending money on triplicate cables in cities when 5% of the country has < 5 Mb/s doesn't make sense, although IMO there should be a separate regulator even if it's state-owned again.

The Lords recommended something similar in 2012, a universal broadband service, much as we got a nearly universal telephone service by I think the early 70s. It's not exactly a novel idea.
    The ISP service and the wires are different things. Over here they have different operators, so most of the physical network is owned by NTT, the ex-nationalized-monopoly, but your internet service is provided by a bunch of competing companies, which then pay NTT for the use of the lines.

So even though my new house is deep in the boonies, with no sewage and radioactive wild boar running amok in the woods, I have a choice of ISP that looks like this:
    https://kakaku.com/bb/ranking.asp?bb_lineTypeGroup=1001&bb_houseType=6001&bb_pref=13&bb_ftthFeatureGroup=21003

In practice I'm getting something like 600 Mbps down and 500 Mbps up.

It's not as good as living somewhere very competitive with actual competition between providers who own the whole stack - I pay nearly twice as much for the NTT + ISP service as I did in the city for a connection half as fast - but I'm sure it's better than what I'd be getting if the only option was NTT.
  • Options

Markets which are completely different because of the way the state intervenes in them.

65% of lines are run by non-Openreach providers. In your example 6.5% seems more likely...

Nope its free
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    glw said:

Alistair said:

moonshine said:

Tiresome.

The satellites are in low earth orbit, latency will be closer to a mobile connection than older satellite internet services.

For longer distances they may even be faster than terrestrial fibre as the signals between satellites (lasers eventually) will travel faster in a vacuum than down a fibre. IIRC beyond about 1,000 km the satellites should win. Financial trading might be an early adopter of these new constellations because of this.
    Indeed, latency somewhere between 10-35 ms are likely given the orbital plane. First operation in North USA/Southern Canada as soon as 2020. Even very northern parts of the UK could be covered quite easily from a polar to polar orbit. For which the proposed Scottish spaceport would be quite handy.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

And everyone else involved in business providing the wealth that runs public services will take note, take cover, or flee.

And everyone else involved in business providing the wealth that runs private services will take note, take cover, or flee.

You really do not get what the knock on impact of EU departure will be do you?

• Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL

Underground cables are.
    I'm not so sure about buses. If you live in Fallowfield, it makes sense to have five different bus companies competing to take you to Salford. If you live in Fakenham and you need to get to Swaffham, how many bus services can there be?
    Seems to me buses straddle the boundary between natural monopoly and not.
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112
    edited November 2019

The Tories are on their back foot now. Is "Get Brexit Done" seriously all they've got? They're bound to pull an enormous rabbit out of the hat in the final fortnight, but nevertheless Boris and Jacob could be one Gillian Duffy moment away from losing. How many in the North believe the "Brexit Party" is a political party rather than a "feel good about spoiling your ballot if you don't much like Labour as it currently stands but still couldn't stomach voting Tory in a million years" operation? This looks very much like a case of the Tories not having the measure of their main enemy and being satisfied saying utterly ridiculous and false things to each other such as that Corbyn's attitude towards Jews is that he wants to 'Burn Your Neighbourhood'".
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2019
    I can't afford to buy anywhere to live at the moment. Can Labour buy a flat for me please? Thanks.
  • Options

Nope its free
    So I'll benefit to the tune of £30/month but Tesco will save millions?

How very socialist.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Noo said:
    The message is a decent enough one, but it was a bit long - the joke of it was made 30 seconds in, I don't think another 90 seconds was needed to make the same points. No the message is not diluted by it being a whole 2 minutes long, but it'd be like saying 'Corbyn is a commie' five times in a Tory broadcast. 2 or 3 would do it.
    Disagree. Very good tape.
  • Options
    This is one of those mad ideas that at least superficially seems attractive, but I just don't think people can be so easily bought. There's no such thing as 'free' anything, whoever it's promised by. A good short term tactic to get away from Brexit and indyref2, but it's not going to change the result of a general election.
  • Options

you really don't care about the job losses do you?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    viewcode said:

welshowl said:

And everyone else involved in business providing the wealth that runs private services will take note, take cover, or flee.

Way way less than the hand wringers think,
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I can't afford to buy anywhere to live at the moment. Can Labour buy a flat for me please? Thanks.

No problemo, a new housing policy will be along shortly...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Noo said:
    Disagree. Very good tape.
    I'm curious - what about repeating the same gag a dozen times make it better than repeating it 6 times would?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

Jason said:

Quite. Eliminate inequality by the simple expedient of making everybody without the means to emigrate dirt poor. HOWEVER...
    GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

I fear that we underestimate at our peril the attraction of "free" everything. Labour can get a hearing for all of these ideas if it can convince a sufficient number of voters that they'll all be paid for by other people, i.e. "the rich" (variously defined as 'billionaires whom we all know have effectively infinite amounts of cash, none of which they deserve to possess and which should therefore be spent on me' or 'everybody in the country with an income at least £1 per year higher than mine.')
    Except it is now clear they won't just be paid by other people but by the average voter

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1194956394287362048?s=20

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1195044471702016000?s=20
  • Options

LAB should also offer free Sky Sports for the 70+ group and at least one adult channel to be chosen by SeanT

Tories will force you to register to prove you’re over 70 to access it.
  • Options

Rupert Murdoch no longer owns Sky.

Ditto Richard Branson and Virgin.
  • Options
    Pierrot said:

The Tories are on their back foot now. Is "Get Brexit Done" seriously all they've got? They're bound to pull an enormous rabbit out of the hat in the final fortnight, but nevertheless Boris and Jacob could be one Gillian Duffy moment away from losing. How many in the North believe the "Brexit Party" is a political party rather than a "feel good about spoiling your ballot if you don't much like Labour as it currently stands but still couldn't stomach voting Tory in a million years" operation?
    Nope. Labour are in full panic mode. You can smell it. They’re desperately trying to shore up their core vote. They can see the writing on the wall and Corbyn and McMao are merely playing fantasy league politics before the curtain falls for them.

• Options

LAB should also offer free Sky Sports for the 70+ group and at least one adult channel to be chosen by SeanT

Because the elderly retired are so poorly served?

Ah, my coat.... :)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Who we can bin if we not happy with the service

Do you not remember the bad old days with the state phone monopoly??
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    AndyJS said:

As I was saying down thread, will a free former shepherd's bothy (with free broadband) do?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    AndyJS said:

Why the lack of ambition? Join the Party, climb the ranks and they'll probably steal somebody else's house and give it to you in a few years' time.
  • Options
    The surge is coming!
  • Options
    Floater said:

Who were Virgin media?
    What about their employees ?
    At home watching free broadband scoffing free Johnny McD burgers
  • Options

I've been idly passing time updating the Google Sheet for Statements of Persons Nominated:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/162fAv5xiV0XQjc5ii2eVYgZlFzvDP9KvL3VWvIe0bWo/edit#gid=0

It's a good reminder of how terrible most district council website are. Also, that some Returning Officers can't be bothered to get their act in gear and post up their SoPNs promptly on one of the most important dates every five two years. Yes, Dudley and Sutton, I do mean you.

There are a lot of non Conservative seats where the BXP hasn't got a candidate. Many gaps in Scotland, Wales and London and a handful in the rest of England. In most it won't matter but in a few are marginal. eg. Bristol NW, Canterbury, Dudley N, Eltham, Hyndburn, Newport East. Also a few in England with no LDs eg Worcester.
  • Options

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL

Underground cables are.
    Wouldn't vote Corbyn's Labour in a month of Sundays but even I agree on trains and buses - the former in particular are a national embarrassment and the fares are a disgrace.

The broadband grab is just weird, but I'm sure the youth vote will love it.
    Fair enough. It’s remarkable that rail franchising has persisted so long. I think it transcends politics: when people get on the roads, or railways, they want one arse to kick — that of the government.

Anything else is just diversionary tactics, and that’s why franchising will never work.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

As I was saying down thread, will a free former shepherd's bothy (with free broadband) do?
    We should all have the same housing - it's not fair some can afford better ones.

Venezuela on steroids by Labour
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Who we can bin if we not happy with the service

Do you not remember the bad old days with the state phone monopoly??
    And that's when the employees worked 5 days a week.....Wait until they only do 4.
  • Options
    Pierrot said:

The Tories are on their back foot now. Is "Get Brexit Done" seriously all they've got? They're bound to pull an enormous rabbit out of the hat in the final fortnight, but nevertheless Boris and Jacob could be one Gillian Duffy moment away from losing. How many in the North believe the "Brexit Party" is a political party rather than a "feel good about spoiling your ballot if you don't much like Labour as it currently stands but still couldn't stomach voting Tory in a million years" operation?
    Get Brexit Done is a slogan of despair. It is like having a sigmoidoscopy, not a holiday.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    kle4 said:

Noo said:
    Pure cringe. What makes it even worse is that the billionaire would be first in the queue defending Ali before anyone else got a word in, asking him if he had any mates that were prepared to work a 60 hour week for half the going rate
  • Options
    Pierrot said:

I'd take an average 10 point poll lead this close to an election and 'be on the back foot' any day. Wouldn't you?
  • Options

SeanT has gone all National Geographic judging by recent tweets of icy penguins.
  • Options
    A state owned and funded national fibre network? Ok that makes sense. State provided broadband? It'll be shit.

How long until McDonnell offers me a free Moon on a Stick?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Noo said:

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL

Underground cables are.
    I'm not so sure about buses. If you live in Fallowfield, it makes sense to have five different bus companies competing to take you to Salford. If you live in Fakenham and you need to get to Swaffham, how many bus services can there be?
    Maybe buses aren't as competitive as that; they certainly need regulation, which is different from ownership. I agree with the public's view of airlines, trains and the Royal Mail though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

And who pays for all of this?

I mean some people will just cut their hours to pay less tax
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Floater said:

you really don't care about the job losses do you?
    Forget the job losses, there are likely companies who are right now thinking should they scrap their investment in the local-loop, backhaul, 5G and so on if Labour's simply going to take if off them. There is a hell of a lot more to "broadband" than just Openreach.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

Except it is now clear they won't just be paid by other people but by the average voter

Desperate fake news.

Get some fooking policies
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited November 2019
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Free dachas for all.

(I just read the small print. Only Party faithful it seems. Damn....)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

Desperate fake news.

Get some fooking policies
    The SANTA TAX. Want to give your children a helping hand? Corbyn wants his slice!
  • Options

I've been idly passing time updating the Google Sheet for Statements of Persons Nominated:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/162fAv5xiV0XQjc5ii2eVYgZlFzvDP9KvL3VWvIe0bWo/edit#gid=0

It's a good reminder of how terrible most district council website are. Also, that some Returning Officers can't be bothered to get their act in gear and post up their SoPNs promptly on one of the most important dates every five two years. Yes, Dudley and Sutton, I do mean you.

Is that the Election Maps spreadsheet? Are you involved with that site?

Just interested as it seems like a good site.
  • Options
    Noo said:

RobD said:

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL

Underground cables are.
    Quite so. Buses are better regulated/nationalised - even Mrs T didn’t deregulate the London bus network because she knew to do so would wreck the network, because only the most popular routes would be supported.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Hopefully these two are not mutually exclusive? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Brexit trumps any economic policy. You can promise anything and still cost us less than that. Free Owls suddenly look prudent.

Free Owls seems sane compared to the latest Labour spendfest.

Paging the IMF in 5.........
  • Options
    You know that 1.2 trillion quid the Tories said Labour would rack up in extra debt? That's starting to look woefully under estimated. By the end of the campaign, it'll be double that.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

viewcode said:

welshowl said:

Way way less than the hand wringers think,
    Quite possibly. But my point is that having spent the time since the EU Referendum saying that any business problems (currency collapses, wealth flight, trade disruption) caused by EU departure can be ignored, and having run an election campaign based on lies and promising money to everybody, it is not defensible to complain about Labour doing it bigger and harder.
This discussion has been closed.