Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2019 podcast from Keiran Pedley – now with Ipsos MORI

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    4 weeks to the first Sunderland results...
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Noo said:
    The message is a decent enough one, but it was a bit long - the joke of it was made 30 seconds in, I don't think another 90 seconds was needed to make the same points. No the message is not diluted by it being a whole 2 minutes long, but it'd be like saying 'Corbyn is a commie' five times in a Tory broadcast. 2 or 3 would do it.
    Disagree. Very good tape.
    I'm curious - what about repeating the same gag a dozen times make it better than repeating it 6 times would?
    It's effective. Repetition is commonly used in both rhetoric and comedy.
    It's effective.
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Why not free leccy and gas? I mean fuck it, tax at 85% and free utilities, basic weekly ration allowance, make us all completely dependent on the State

As opposed to being completely dependent on private utilities.
    Who we can bin if we not happy with the service

Do you not remember the bad old days with the state phone monopoly??
    Worst experience I've had with phone services was with fucking ntl. God alive what a bunch of tarts they were. Makes my blood boil now just thinking about it, 20 years on.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    glw said:

Floater said:

Out of interest, for those who support the policy, why not nationalise the Virgin Media infrastructure on the same basis? After all it was once the nationalised telegraph (I think you can draw a line back through Cable and Wireless).

Well given Virgin will basically not have a consumer business come 2030, the Commie Cable Company can just seize the infrastructure when it goes bust.
    And we all get free fibre Broadand

Poor Richard Branson and Rupert Murdoch make less money how sad never mind.
    you really don't care about the job losses do you?
    Forget the job losses, there are likely companies who are right now thinking should they scrap their investment in the local-loop, backhaul, 5G and so on if Labour's simply going to take if off them. There is a hell of a lot more to "broadband" than just Openreach.
    I'm just pointing out that John and Labour are a bunch of hypocrites.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869

LAB should also offer free Sky Sports for the 70+ group and at least one adult channel to be chosen by SeanT

Is Swinson going to cancel my free Broadband by forcing a 2nd GE
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I remember when Tories condemned Ed Milliband as a communist and then later copied his policies. Nothing changes.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793
    Jason said:

Pierrot said:

This is also the Trump approach. Get people talking about it.

The Tories have done Labour's work for them, their questions will be "well what will you do"?

I am astonished the Tories didn't see it.

The Tories are on their back foot now. Is "Get Brexit Done" seriously all they've got? They're bound to pull an enormous rabbit out of the hat in the final fortnight, but nevertheless Boris and Jacob could be one Gillian Duffy moment away from losing. How many in the North believe the "Brexit Party" is a political party rather than a "feel good about spoiling your ballot if you don't much like Labour as it currently stands but still couldn't stomach voting Tory in a million years" operation?
    I'd take an average 10 point poll lead this close to an election and 'be on the back foot' any day. Wouldn't you?
    Good point.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019
    Who has the best integrated online systems in Europe....probably Estonia...why, the state pushed development in the early days and made government accessible via the web, and private companies provide the service and it is extremely competitive. They have exactly the opposite of the Commie Cable Company.

And shock horror, they have a great tech sector.
  • Options
    Jason said:

You know that 1.2 trillion quid the Tories said Labour would rack up in extra debt? That's starting to look woefully under estimated. By the end of the campaign, it'll be double that.

Is this Project Fear?
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

“And the results are showing a 8% swing to the Conservatives.....”
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit trumps any economic policy. You can promise anything and still cost us less than that. Free Owls suddenly look prudent.

Free Owls seems sane compared to the latest Labour spendfest.

Paging the IMF in 5.........
    Brexit outbids them all.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

A state owned and funded national fibre network? Ok that makes sense. State provided broadband? It'll be shit.

How long until McDonnell offers me a free Moon on a Stick?

Some better model for Openreach, such as joint ownership between the state, ISPs, and telecoms companies probably would make sense. Although simply separating it from BT would be the first thing to try.

"Free" broadband would simply mean that only the wealthy have alternatives, the many options we currently have would all but disappear. I do not think it would lead to a better service for most of us.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

The surge is coming!

Coming? It's already started.
  • Options
    Pierrot said:

The Tories are on their back foot now

Nope. Labour are in full panic mode

I don't suppose there's any point in asking people not to clog up the threads with fantasies about the other side's state of mind? Likewise any poster accusing any other poster of being "rattled"...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

LAB should also offer free Sky Sports for the 70+ group and at least one adult channel to be chosen by SeanT

Not if you win a majority next month.

If you don't, you only have yourselves to blame.
  • Options

And hopefully I won't be packing my bags....
  • Options

Noo said:

RobD said:

Two years old but might be instructive.

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL
    Surprisingly illogical too.

Buses aren't a natural monopoly any more than airlines.

Underground cables are.
    Indeed. And as if the public have a fucking clue about the idea of nationalising broadband until you offer it to them.
    I'm not so sure about buses. If you live in Fallowfield, it makes sense to have five different bus companies competing to take you to Salford. If you live in Fakenham and you need to get to Swaffham, how many bus services can there be?
    Seems to me buses straddle the boundary between natural monopoly and not.
    Maybe buses aren't as competitive as that; they certainly need regulation, which is different from ownership. I agree with the public's view of airlines, trains and the Royal Mail though.
    Yeah, depends what type of regulation. Airlines need very heavy regulation indeed, but I'd fight tooth and nail to keep the government out of the industry. Buses... mmmm, I'm tempted by the idea of the state being involved. Or at least councils. Not sure.
  • Options

A state owned and funded national fibre network? Ok that makes sense. State provided broadband? It'll be shit.

How about free holidays for all - hell the state can provide it all.

Until it can't

Hello Venezuela.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

I've been idly passing time updating the Google Sheet for Statements of Persons Nominated:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/162fAv5xiV0XQjc5ii2eVYgZlFzvDP9KvL3VWvIe0bWo/edit#gid=0

It's a good reminder of how terrible most district council website are. Also, that some Returning Officers can't be bothered to get their act in gear and post up their SoPNs promptly on one of the most important dates every five two years. Yes, Dudley and Sutton, I do mean you.

There are a lot of non Conservative seats where the BXP hasn't got a candidate. Many gaps in Scotland, Wales and London and a handful in the rest of England. In most it won't matter but in a few are marginal. eg. Bristol NW, Canterbury, Dudley N, Eltham, Hyndburn, Newport East. Also a few in England with no LDs eg Worcester.
    Worcester City Council haven’t uploaded their SoPN yet. I’d be surprised if there’s no LD - I don’t think this is a Unite to Remain seat, is it?

@Benpointer no connection, I just thought I’d help out!
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit trumps any economic policy. You can promise anything and still cost us less than that. Free Owls suddenly look prudent.

Impossible Mission Force?

The Labour Secretary of State for free Broadband will disavow any knowledge of a spendfest
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Floater said:

How about free holidays for all - hell the state can provide it all.

Until it can't

Hello Venezuela.
    Well if Labour had been in power, they would have nationalized Thomas Cook.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I would like to nationalize the Daily Telegraph and turn it back into a newspaper again.
  • Options

"I'm sorry, I misheard. That is an 18% swing to the Conservatives. In line with the exit poll...."
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit outbids them all.
    No, it really does not
  • Options
    Roger said:

I would like to nationalize the Daily Telegraph and turn it back into a newspaper again.

Well, it is for sale.....
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Is there anything that Labour isn't offering for free at the moment?

Owls?
    We have Corbyn’s Owls for free on this very site!

He’s called Big John...
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited November 2019

Noo said:

RobD said:

Two years old but might be instructive.

Surprisingly unpopular.
    LOL
    Surprisingly illogical too.

Buses aren't a natural monopoly any more than airlines.

Underground cables are.
    Indeed. And as if the public have a fucking clue about the idea of nationalising broadband until you offer it to them.
    I'm not so sure about buses. If you live in Fallowfield, it makes sense to have five different bus companies competing to take you to Salford. If you live in Fakenham and you need to get to Swaffham, how many bus services can there be?
    Seems to me buses straddle the boundary between natural monopoly and not.
    Quite so. Buses are better regulated/nationalised - even Mrs T didn’t deregulate the London bus network because she knew to do so would wreck the network, because only the most popular routes would be supported.
    I was looking into buses in the East Suffolk area the other day and - surprise surprise - the route I used 10 years ago is no longer running. In fact, people who need to get from A to B can phone a community taxi service run by volunteers that costs 50p/mile (or some such) - a classic case of the community having to rally round to pick up the slack and evidence that buses are best run as a public service as there's just not enough profit in most non-urban routes to satisfy private companies.
  • Options

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Impossible Mission Force?

The Labour Secretary of State for free Broadband will disavow any knowledge of a spendfest
    This pledge will self-destruct in five seconds.....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Said it before but Clive Lewis is a very odd person...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I remember when Tories condemned Ed Milliband as a communist and then later copied his policies. Nothing changes.

Yup. Conservatives cry wolf every election. Now, is this a wolf or not? You wouldn't know listening to conservatives because that's what they say even when it isn't.
  • Options

"I'm sorry, I misheard. That is an 18% swing to the Conservatives. In line with the exit poll...."
    Dimbleby (if he were to be presenting) would probably just die in his chair at that point.

• Options

I've been idly passing time updating the Google Sheet for Statements of Persons Nominated:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/162fAv5xiV0XQjc5ii2eVYgZlFzvDP9KvL3VWvIe0bWo/edit#gid=0

It's a good reminder of how terrible most district council website are. Also, that some Returning Officers can't be bothered to get their act in gear and post up their SoPNs promptly on one of the most important dates every five two years. Yes, Dudley and Sutton, I do mean you.

There are a lot of non Conservative seats where the BXP hasn't got a candidate. Many gaps in Scotland, Wales and London and a handful in the rest of England. In most it won't matter but in a few are marginal. eg. Bristol NW, Canterbury, Dudley N, Eltham, Hyndburn, Newport East. Also a few in England with no LDs eg Worcester.
    Worcester City Council haven’t uploaded their SoPN yet. I’d be surprised if there’s no LD - I don’t think this is a Unite to Remain seat, is it?

@Benpointer no connection, I just thought I’d help out!
    Very public-spirited of you :smile:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1195110530056409089

Jason said:

Why not free leccy and gas? I mean fuck it, tax at 85% and free utilities, basic weekly ration allowance, make us all completely dependent on the State

If Corbyn got into power, that's precisely what would happen. These fellas believe the Venezuelan economic model is more desirable than ours. So, mass starvation would be preferable to using food banks. Better for everyone to starve than just a few.
    Quite. Eliminate inequality by the simple expedient of making everybody without the means to emigrate dirt poor. HOWEVER...
    GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

Anyone over the age to 30 will run a mile I'd have thought.
    I fear that we underestimate at our peril the attraction of "free" everything. Labour can get a hearing for all of these ideas if it can convince a sufficient number of voters that they'll all be paid for by other people, i.e. "the rich" (variously defined as 'billionaires whom we all know have effectively infinite amounts of cash, none of which they deserve to possess and which should therefore be spent on me' or 'everybody in the country with an income at least £1 per year higher than mine.')
    Except it is now clear they won't just be paid by other people but by the average voter

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1194956394287362048?s=20

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1195044471702016000?s=20
    Desperate fake news.

Get some fooking policies
    The podcast suggests the Tories might consider putting off their manifesto as long as they can to avoid a repeat of last time. Screams of confidence if that is true.
  • Options
    The Underground is fantastic. Publicly owned and run.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Who has the best integrated online systems in Europe....probably Estonia...why, the state pushed development in the early days and made government accessible via the web, and private companies provide the service and it is extremely competitive. They have exactly the opposite of the Commie Cable Company.

You know if they actually said, "we've looked at what works best and are going to copy that" then fair enough. But what nation has a fast, cost-efficient, reliable network AND offers "free" broadband? There doesn't seem to be anywhere that does it.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

I can't afford to buy anywhere to live at the moment. Can Labour buy a flat for me please? Thanks.

No problemo, a new housing policy will be along shortly...
    And who pays for all of this?

I mean some people will just cut their hours to pay less tax
    Like Philip Green?
  • Options

Remind me of the odds on a Labour majority?

Oh wait 20 to 1

• Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit outbids them all.
    No, it really does not
    It really does. Some of the nutters even advocate a hard Brexit. Compared to that bullshit you can do pretty much what you like.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    edited November 2019
    glw said:

Floater said:

Out of interest, for those who support the policy, why not nationalise the Virgin Media infrastructure on the same basis? After all it was once the nationalised telegraph (I think you can draw a line back through Cable and Wireless).

Well given Virgin will basically not have a consumer business come 2030, the Commie Cable Company can just seize the infrastructure when it goes bust.

Forget the job losses, there are likely companies who are right now thinking should they scrap their investment in the local-loop, backhaul, 5G and so on if Labour's simply going to take if off them. There is a hell of a lot more to "broadband" than just Openreach.
    If Labour were to win the election, private sector investment in telecoms infrastructure would crater overnight. But you’re correct in thinking the effects of the policy as reported would be far reaching.

And it’s a long time between overnight and 2030...
  • Options
    Floater said:

Remind me of the odds on a Labour majority?

Oh wait 20 to 1

They don't need to win one.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    I wonder if Labour are now insane enough to promise to pay off everyone's unsecured debts. Seriously. All your credit cards, overdrafts, everything, paid off by the government. And just borrow trillions more and leave the next generation indebted for life. Why not? Why just stop at a few piffling re-nationalisations, and a bit of tinkering like broadband? How about paying a 25% deposit on any mortgage application for non homeowners? Or abolishing income tax altogether for anyone earning under 50k? Seriously though, if Corbyn and McDonnell are intent on bankrupting this country - why not go the whole hog and do it properly?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit outbids them all.
    No, it really does not
    It really does. Some of the nutters even advocate a hard Brexit. Compared to that bullshit you can do pretty much what you like.
    You seem to ignore fact that Brexit could still happen under a Labour government

Or have they changed their minds AGAIN
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,600
    edited November 2019
    Plaid have won both council by-elections in Wales tonight (from Labour).

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1195119628147671041
  • Options

Do you get free fibre Broadband?
  • Options
    glw said:

You know if they actually said, "we've looked at what works best and are going to copy that" then fair enough. But what nation has a fast, cost-efficient, reliable network AND offers "free" broadband? There doesn't seem to be anywhere that does it.
    Exactly, Estonia doesn't, Korea doesn't. Even bloody China doesn't give it away for free..
  • Options
    Lab clearly hoping Broadband stuff is a game changer.
  • Options

Ruinously expensive (most expensive in the world) and at the mercy of the Unions.
  • Options
    And in the real world of votes

Plaid Cymru GAIN Rhos (Neath Port Talbot) from Labour with 54% (+23) of votes.

CON were 2nd on 24% (+1) & LAB 3rd on 22% (-24). https://t.co/3VXC8kvlxm
  • Options
    Roger said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

I can't afford to buy anywhere to live at the moment. Can Labour buy a flat for me please? Thanks.

No problemo, a new housing policy will be along shortly...
    And who pays for all of this?

I mean some people will just cut their hours to pay less tax
    Like Philip Green?
    We can look a little closer to home than that
  • Options

Pierrot said:

I don't suppose there's any point in asking people not to clog up the threads with fantasies about the other side's state of mind? Likewise any poster accusing any other poster of being "rattled"...
    This times 1000.

Or at least we could save time and put 'Lab/LD/Con/SNP look rattled, and are panicking' at the bottom of every header?
  • Options

Typical London-centric comment. When does the line to south Devon get opened? Huh?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Labour's campaign seems to be about ensuring 30% give or take, vote Labour, and that they can't be overtaken by the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Jonathan said:

Yup. Conservatives cry wolf every election. Now, is this a wolf or not? You wouldn't know listening to conservatives because that's what they say even when it isn't.
    How many hours to save the NHS this time?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,010
    edited November 2019

Anyone who won't be emigrating if Corbyn gets in? Beyond Labour and SNP voters of course. I suspect there will be an even bigger surge in PBers posting from Spain, Switzerland, Singapore, the UAE, Australia, Florida etc
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pierrot said:

This times 1000.

Or at least we could save time and put 'Lab/LD/Con/SNP look rattled, and are panicking' at the bottom of every header?
    For the next 4 weeks, it should be standard format for each thread "First"....
  • Options

Not got the Conwy numbers yet, Big G, but PC have taken that, too.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Do you get free fibre Broadband?
    No, and nor would you even if Labour were to win in December.
    2030 is two full Parliamentary terms away. The damage to UK technology investment would be immediate.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,010
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jason said:

If Corbyn got into power, that's precisely what would happen. These fellas believe the Venezuelan economic model is more desirable than ours. So, mass starvation would be preferable to using food banks. Better for everyone to starve than just a few.
    Quite. Eliminate inequality by the simple expedient of making everybody without the means to emigrate dirt poor. HOWEVER...
    GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

I fear that we underestimate at our peril the attraction of "free" everything. Labour can get a hearing for all of these ideas if it can convince a sufficient number of voters that they'll all be paid for by other people, i.e. "the rich" (variously defined as 'billionaires whom we all know have effectively infinite amounts of cash, none of which they deserve to possess and which should therefore be spent on me' or 'everybody in the country with an income at least £1 per year higher than mine.')
    Except it is now clear they won't just be paid by other people but by the average voter

Desperate fake news.

The podcast suggests the Tories might consider putting off their manifesto as long as they can to avoid a repeat of last time. Screams of confidence if that is true.
    When Thatcher won in 1983 she had few controversial policies in her manifesto, the Tories just hammered Labour on their manifesto, which Kaufman called 'the longest suicide note in history.' Boris seems to be following Mrs T's lead
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Sean_F said:

Labour's campaign seems to be about ensuring 30% give or take, vote Labour, and that they can't be overtaken by the Lib Dems.

Exactly. With the added benefit of ensuring wavering Tories that they should really stay Blue just in case Corbyn even begins to look vaguely like getting anywhere.
  • Options

Hardly look like they on the verge of kicking out the tories do they
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Lab clearly hoping Broadband stuff is a game changer.

Might be a game changer but not in the way they're expecting... ;)
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Jesus. How short sighted.

And everyone else involved in business providing the wealth that runs public services will take note, take cover, or flee.

You really do not get what the knock on impact of confiscation will be do you?
    Free broadband's a good idea. we have free education and health it's not a new concept. More useful than paying 20,000 policemen who are a complete waste of money.
  • Options
    Jason said:

I wonder if Labour are now insane enough to promise to pay off everyone's unsecured debts. Seriously. All your credit cards, overdrafts, everything, paid off by the government. And just borrow trillions more and leave the next generation indebted for life. Why not? Why just stop at a few piffling re-nationalisations, and a bit of tinkering like broadband? How about paying a 25% deposit on any mortgage application for non homeowners? Or abolishing income tax altogether for anyone earning under 50k? Seriously though, if Corbyn and McDonnell are intent on bankrupting this country - why not go the whole hog and do it properly?

Looks like they intend on giving it a good go
  • Options
    Floater said:

Noo said:

Jonathan said:

That would be an excellent comment at any time other than when we've just had those dire figures published.
  • Options
    Jason Zadrozny has been taking to social media to claim Tories have no chance in Ashfield, it's a straight fight between him and Labour. His election literature is full of the same nonsense. Desperate stuff and locals are starting to get annoyed with his outrageous claims. Labour were only 400 votes ahead of Tories in 2017, Ashfield Independents a further 16,000 behind that. Think he's losing the plot, a sign things aren't going his way perhaps?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

Desperate fake news.

The SANTA TAX. Want to give your children a helping hand? Corbyn wants his slice!
    Is that a Tory policy I see?

No it's just more fake news.

When are the Tories going to announce a policy.

All the best ones like free fibre Broadbsnd for everyone are going fast. (a bit like fibre Broadband)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

Anyone who won't be emigrating if Corbyn gets in? Beyond Labour and SNP voters of course
    People joke about it, kinda of say it and never do, but I said this before I thought Ed Miliband had a flawed thesis (based on a book he read that has now been debunked), but I wasn't worried about what would happen if he got into power. I think Ed Balls is a smart guy, he actually used to annoy most because I know, that he knew, some of the stuff he spouted was rubbish, rather than being a moron.

Where as Corbyn and Co, they are absolutely bonkers. Again, if they had announced say like Estonia that internet is a human right like water / power and were going to provide credits so the poor had access, ok. But a Commie Cable Co, with a one sized fit all provision, insanity.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anyone who won't be emigrating if Corbyn gets in? Beyond Labour and SNP voters of course. I suspect there will be an even bigger surge in PBers posting from Spain, Switzerland, Singapore, the UAE, Australia, Florida etc
    Me. If they manage to stop Brexit. Otherwise, the plans I've got in motion will be followed through on.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Floater said:

Noo said:

Jonathan said:

That would be an excellent comment at any time other than when we've just had those dire figures published.
    Some of us remember the state of the NHS when Labour were throwing money around - how many excess deaths was it again?
  • Options

Not got the Conwy numbers yet, Big G, but PC have taken that, too.
    Interesting - look forward to the numbers
  • Options
    Floater said:

A good result for the remain alliance. it's working
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

Desperate fake news.

The SANTA TAX. Want to give your children a helping hand? Corbyn wants his slice!
    Is that a Tory policy I see?

No it's just more fake news.

When are the Tories going to announce a policy.

All the best ones like free fibre Broadbsnd for everyone are going fast. (a bit like fibre Broadband)
    Oh you’ll know it when the policies arrive. You’ll feel like you’ve been mated by a (privatised) train 😂
  • Options
    Will the Tories actually announce any policies? I can't think of a single policy off the top of my head.

Does anyone honestly think this election will be Brexit alone?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Floater said:

Labour collapsing is good for them is it?

LOL - if you say so
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anyone who won't be emigrating if Corbyn gets in? Beyond Labour and SNP voters of course
    Well, there's the 90% who have no realistic means of emigrating.
    Plus there's the 9% representing those who could emigrate but who love this country too much to leave.

So that just leaves the 1% who are wealthy and don't like the UK that much, I guess. They can bugger-off as far as I'm concerned. :smile:
  • Options
    GooeyBlob said:

Jason Zadrozny has been taking to social media to claim Tories have no chance in Ashfield, it's a straight fight between him and Labour. His election literature is full of the same nonsense. Desperate stuff and locals are starting to get annoyed with his outrageous claims. Labour were only 400 votes ahead of Tories in 2017, Ashfield Independents a further 16,000 behind that. Think he's losing the plot, a sign things aren't going his way perhaps?

I often think that a confident attitude can take you a long way, and be effective, but there are limits and at some point cautious optimism might be a better approach.
  • Options

Will the Tories actually announce any policies? I can't think of a single policy off the top of my head.

No, its also about stopping Corbyn
  • Options

Those are eye watering figures for Labour. Wow. Don't worry, though, Corbynistas - you've got free broadband to look forward to in just 11 years time.
  • Options

Wait and see - you’ll be the first to know 😉 Might not be a good day for you so be prepared.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Plus there's the 9% representing those who could emigrate but who love this country too much to leave.

So that just leaves the 1% who are wealthy and don't like the UK that much, I guess. They can bugger-off as far as I'm concerned. :smile:
    Well I won't just be going, I will be taking my businesses with me.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Cheerio!
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

HYUFD said:

People joke about it, kinda of say it and never do, but I said this before I thought Ed Miliband had a flawed thesis (based on a book he read that has now been debunked), but I wasn't worried about what would happen if he got into power. I think Ed Balls is a smart guy, he actually used to annoy most because I know, that he knew, some of the stuff he spouted was rubbish, rather than being a moron.

Where as Corbyn and Co, they are absolutely bonkers. Again, if they had announced say like Estonia that internet is a human right like water / power and were going to provide credits so the poor had access, ok. But a Commie Cable Co, with a one sized fit all provision, insanity.
    McDonnell's policies are not only a bit mental (mostly) but he seems pretty vile personally - the way he smeared Austin on live television - to cheers from his Momentum lackeys - is what has stayed with me most so far in this campaign.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

Labour's gone mad.

Desperate fake news.

When Thatcher won in 1983 she had few controversial policies in her manifesto, the Tories just hammered Labour on their manifesto, which Kaufman called 'the longest suicide note in history.' Boris seems to be following Mrs T's lead
    Heck of a gamble to assume now will play out like 1983. Should the Tories have done the same in 2010 or 2015 because it worked in 1983?

That said, I wouldn't say it has no chance of succeeding. Roll on weekend polls, and post debate polls, to see if it is working.
  • Options
    If Plaid gains from Labour, it doesn't matter. Plaid will govern with Labour. It's like SNP or LDs gaining from Labour, it doesn't matter. What matters is Tory/Labour marginals and Tory/LD marginals.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Those are eye watering figures for Labour. Wow. Don't worry, though, Corbynistas - you've got free broadband to look forward to in just 11 years time.
    An absolute horsing. Welsh Labour looking as deid as Scottish Labour.

His mum was at Cable Street, though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

glw said:

Floater said:

If Labour were to win the election, private sector investment in telecoms infrastructure would crater overnight. But you’re correct in thinking the effects of the policy as reported would be far reaching.

And it’s a long time between overnight and 2030...
    2030 is only 21 hrs away.

Anyway goodnight all.
  • Options

Wait and see - you’ll be the first to know 😉 Might not be a good day for you so be prepared.

I remember the 2017 election - when so many ran away.
  • Options
    Liberal Democrat GAIN Shap (Eden) from Conservative with 49% (+17) of votes.

CON were 2nd on 34% (-17) & Putting Cumbria First 3rd on 18% (=). https://t.co/WwJYTdz73r
  • Options

HYUFD said:

We've got too many nail bars as it is
  • Options
    edited November 2019

HYUFD said:

McDonnell's policies are not only a bit mental (mostly) but he seems pretty vile personally - the way he smeared Austin on live television - to cheers from his Momentum lackeys - is what has stayed with me most so far in this campaign.
    It is what he doesn't say that is just as worrying. Corbyn is a dim socialist who believes if we could do stuff a bit more like the 70s the world would be a better place and he finds it rather hard to lie / distort his long held beliefs.

McDonnell is far far more extremist, but is willing to tell bare faced lies and undergo mental gymnastics to get people onside.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

I reckon most Labour folk would much rather it was about anything else than Brexit. Can't think why.
  • Options

Jason said:

Was she present only or did she take part?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Roger said:

Floater said:

Labour collapsing is good for them is it?

LOL - if you say so
    It's not good for Labour. It's good for the Remain alliance. Keep up.
  • Options

Jason said:

She was present but was not involved :smiley:
  • Options
    Hope these council seats are a forerunner for absolute bedlam on 12th December, with seats going all over the place.
  • Options
    Again, Labour to Plaid is net zero. Lib Dem to Labour or vice versa is net zero.

It's the marginals that matter.
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You could have had free fibre broadband for them as well

This discussion has been closed.