Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 2017 general election: The most profitable general electio

Comments

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    DavidL said:

Again get fucked.

DUP supporters have urged the party to demand action on a banned loyalist march as the price of voting for Theresa May's minority government.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4593224/DUP-supporters-want-PM-sanction-banned-Orange-march.html

So what are we going to offer this bunch of zealots to get them to support Conservative party policies? They will need something to show their supporters if they are going to sell this. The real complications are going to come with what they want on the Irish border.

Are you talking about the DUP or SCON ?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

Does the Farage proposal have any chance of being accepted by Tory MPs?

....So does it?
    I presume it was Aaron Banks or one of his proxys who funded the DUP's Brexit campaign. Banks must be calling in favours.
    No way any sane Tory would stand for it though.

If DUP insist - Means new leader, new election, and Corbyn is PM.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027
    Essexit said:

Not sure I see why the march is banned in the first place, we let anti-austerity nutters bugger up central London at regular intervals. If something so trivial would help win the DUP over I say go for it.

When it comes to Norn Iron, *nothing* is trivial.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Essexit said:

DavidL said:

Again get fucked.

DUP supporters have urged the party to demand action on a banned loyalist march as the price of voting for Theresa May's minority government.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4593224/DUP-supporters-want-PM-sanction-banned-Orange-march.html

So what are we going to offer this bunch of zealots to get them to support Conservative party policies? They will need something to show their supporters if they are going to sell this. The real complications are going to come with what they want on the Irish border.

Not sure I see why the march is banned in the first place, we let anti-austerity nutters bugger up central London at regular intervals. If something so trivial would help win the DUP over I say go for it.
    Not sure why the march is banned not a Mail fan but that may help
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm waiting for these WhatsApp messages to get leaked into the papers...

https://twitter.com/danielhewittitv/status/873904648062717954
    Is that the political equivalent of full support of the board?
    It's odd that whoever screenshotted that has 'MP' tagged onto Gove's and Burns' names in their contact book. Who would do that? Makes me think it could be just a piece of fake propaganda put out by the plotters.
    Seems sensible to be honest, a check so you don't send messages to similarity named journos or the like.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Again get fucked.

We should hope that this is real and the lunatic demands are such that May cannot accept them. Get this farce over as soon as possible. The only reasonable solution now is a new Tory leader followed by a new election.
    What another one? It'll upset our famous west country voter
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    viewcode said:

justin124 said:

If I may return to June 9th and TM's visit to the Palace. Contrary to what most people believe there was no constitutional requirement for her to do that - PMs are not reappointed after General Elections under our system but simply carry on in office or resign to make way for someone else. The visit to see the Queen,therefore, was more out of courtesy and to inform the monarch of her intentions given the unclear election outcome. It was certainly not a question of 'TM seeking permission to form a Government'. Thatcher did not visit the Palace when re-elected in 1983 & 1987 - neither did Wilson in 1966 & October 1974. Blair seems to have begun this new tendency by going to the Palace when re-elected in 2001 & 2005. Cameron followed his example in 2015 - but it really is more of a photo-opportunity than something the PM is obliged to do. There is a lot of ignorance on this extending to jounalists such as Laura Kuensberg!

I'm more than happy to believe you but do you have links for Thatcher not visiting the Palace in 1983 & 1987 or Wilson in 1966?
    Hold on, isn't the difference that it was obvious the PM in question could command a majority of the House?

So they obviously just carried on.

May had to go to ensure she had her Maj's permission to have a go at trying to command a majority.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195

Typo said:

With so much talent in the parliamentary party why do we end up with ministers like Damian Green. As much charisma as Fiona Hill has dress sense.

I met him once, I think. Or maybe twice. Can't really remember.
    Seriously. A government of dull farts. That'll get the punters in!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm waiting for these WhatsApp messages to get leaked into the papers...

https://twitter.com/danielhewittitv/status/873904648062717954
    Is that the political equivalent of full support of the board?
    It's odd that whoever screenshotted that has 'MP' tagged onto Gove's and Burns' names in their contact book. Who would do that? Makes me think it could be just a piece of fake propaganda put out by the plotters.
    Seems sensible to be honest, a check so you don't send messages to similarity named journos or the like.
    Yes, good point.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    After an Orange Lodge march in my home village in Scotland some of the chaps decided to burn down the local chapel !!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    edited June 2017
    calum said:
    People thought there was a chance Corbyn could lead the Labour party to extinction, but instead he got the same result as Gordon Brown. So a relative success, but an actual failure.

It was also said he didn't want to be PM just to make Labour a hard left party again, well he has achieved that.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    calum said:

After an Orange Lodge march in my home village in Scotland some of the chaps decided to burn down the local chapel !!

Kulchir an that.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    I'm pretty sure that the only way forward for the Tories to 'renew' themselves is a period of opposition. Let Labour deal with the fallout from Brexit.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    The first rule of politics. To stab someone in the back, first you must get behind them.
  • Options
    Incidentally, what happened to the 'Conservatives will lose a dozen seats to the LibDems in SW England without Cameron as leader' claims ?

Can we assume that Dave isn't as popular in Cornwall and Somerset as we were told he was ?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Essexit said:

DavidL said:

Again get fucked.

I guess after ripping up the generational contract, decades of foreign policy, our hard-fought post-empire trading agreements and a big chunk of the constitution, it's logical that the good friday agreement is next in the shredder.

The rightwing headbanging anarchists are going to achieve the impossible, making Jeremy Corbyn PM.

In fairness, quite a few of them openly joined labour to vote for him two years ago.

They live in an odd world where they're always up for fighty fighty and do whatever they can to empower their enemies.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    viewcode said:

Essexit said:

I guess. A sad state of affairs when freedom to protest is curtailed in the name of not triggering republicans though.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    JackW said:

I'm still struggling to see why Corbyn and McDonnell being IRA sympathisers is not an issue while the DUP being religious zealots is. But that does seem to be where we are.

I fear you must have been tone deaf for the past seven weeks or was it my imagination that the Conservatives and their press allies might have mentioned Corbyn, McDonnell and the IRA/Hamas link about a gazillion times per nano second.
    From a UK perspective, albeit one that I do not share, there is nothing wrong with the leading unionist party in GB collaborating with another unionist party such as the DUP - I suspect that May is in accord with their Christian values.

It is quite another matter for parties that aspire to govern the UK to collaborate or even consider collaborating with parties that are enemies of the state such as the SNP or SF.

• Options
    Is the illness that stopped Diane Abbott appearing in the media as bad as Suzanne Evans' Breast Cancer? She managed to cope
  • Options
    Typo said:

With so much talent in the parliamentary party why do we end up with ministers like Damian Green. As much charisma as Fiona Hill has dress sense.

Needs a clear out of dead wood and the 'old guard'. Get guys/women in their 30s and 40s with promise in.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

First like the Tories but Labour claim victory!

Who would you prefer to be right now? Loser Corbyn or winner May? Look at their faces for the answer.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609

Incidentally, what happened to the 'Conservatives will lose a dozen seats to the LibDems in SW England without Cameron as leader' claims ?

Can we assume that Dave isn't as popular in Cornwall and Somerset as we were told he was ?

He made those seats unloseable though Theresa did try her best.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The Scottish National party may have won a majority of Scottish seats at Westminster on Thursday, but Nicola Sturgeon, the party leader and Scotland’s first minister, emerged from the election a diminished figure, facing growing criticism over her government’s record and her decision to push for a second independence referendum.

“I think Sturgeon is damaged. She had a really bad campaign,” said Michael Keating, professor of politics at the University of Aberdeen. “She looked tired. The shine is going off her.”

This is the best bit :smile:

James Kelly, a political blogger and SNP member, says it would be a “historic error” for Ms Sturgeon to reverse policy on a referendum that she announced just three months ago.

“I think its going to make her look ineffectual,” Mr Kelly said. “It’s very difficult to back down on that without alienating her supporters.”

“If the SNP appease the sworn opponents of independence and jettison an independence referendum, then I am going to walk away from the SNP,” wrote one commentator on Mr Kelly’s blog.

Yes, James, you tell her. Stick to her guns. Onwards, to another victory like this one...

https://www.ft.com/content/44ff836c-4ea3-11e7-bfb8-997009366969
  • Options
    Pong said:

Essexit said:

DavidL said:

Again get fucked.

I guess after ripping up the generational contract, decades of foreign policy, our hard-fought post-empire trading agreements and a big chunk of the constitution, it's logical that the good friday agreement is next in the shredder.

The rightwing headbanging anarchists are going to achieve the impossible, making Jeremy Corbyn PM.

In fairness, quite a few of them openly joined labour to vote for him two years ago.

They live in an odd world where they're always up for fighty fighty and do whatever they can to empower their enemies.
    The three quidders who joined to vote for him and virtue signalling Labour MPs who nominated him look a bit silly now
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Pong said:

Essexit said:

DavidL said:

Again get fucked.

I don't think the ban is part of the GFA.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The DUP are odd. They aren't gay friendly to start with, but then neither are many Muslims, a group which underpin a fair few Labour majorities.

I don't see a way out for the Tories, though. Letting Jezza form a weak minority government would be great for him. Three months of goodies, and then he's forced to call a GE. Even I could navigate my way through that.

Stumbling on with the Grey Queen is no better for the Tories. Her ratings won't improve with another U-turn on her manifesto .

And even changing their leader would be fraught with difficulty vote-wise. Whoever it is wouldn't have time to bed in before the inevitable GE. Plus momentum (not the group) is all one-way. The sweeties have been offered.
  • Options
    @nickeardleybbc: SNP maneuvers under way. I'm told Ross, Skye and Lochaber MP Ian Blackford likely to stand to be new Westminster group leader.

@nickeardleybbc: Supporters say Mr Blackford popular in party and would help reconnect with rural voters

@nickeardleybbc: Other names being mentioned include Joanna Cherry, Stephen Gethins and Tommy Sheppard

Oh, please, please, please let it be Cherry :wink:
  • Options
    isam said:

Pong said:

Essexit said:

DavidL said:

Again get fucked.

The three quidders who joined to vote for him and virtue signalling Labour MPs who nominated him look a bit silly now
    I don't think those who made lots of money off the back of it regret it!
  • Options
    One point I'd like to make is that those people who claim the Tories are doomed are forgetting the Tories were genuinely miles ahead at the locals. If they can lose support that quickly, they can get it back.

But not without a swift about turn, I accept that.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    viewcode said:

Essexit said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsFtiruIok
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @jessicaelgot: Damian Green appointed First Secretary of State and Minister for the Cabinet Office.
  • Options

One point I'd like to make is that those people who claim the Tories are doomed are forgetting the Tories were genuinely miles ahead at the locals. If they can lose support that quickly, they can get it back.

Not with May. And the 'brand' is damaged. The only way they can do is to get a leader which can kill a few sacred cows. Grammar schools need to go in the dustbin, as does fox hunting.

A commitment to actually deal with social care and the NHS is needed, even it it means putting put both income tax (the lib dems 1p on the basis rate didn't scare the horses) and actually needing a death tax (not a dementia tax).

Why not have a death tax of say 5% over 100k? (as well as inheritance tax). That doesn't seem onerous particaully it's clear, and measureable.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Essexit said:

viewcode said:

Essexit said:

I guess. A sad state of affairs when freedom to protest is curtailed in the name of not triggering republicans though.
    Find the utube video of yesterday's march in Liverpool where they attacked an Irish pub
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Scott_P said:

The Scottish National party may have won a majority of Scottish seats at Westminster on Thursday, but Nicola Sturgeon, the party leader and Scotland’s first minister, emerged from the election a diminished figure, facing growing criticism over her government’s record and her decision to push for a second independence referendum.

“I think Sturgeon is damaged. She had a really bad campaign,” said Michael Keating, professor of politics at the University of Aberdeen. “She looked tired. The shine is going off her.”

James Kelly, a political blogger and SNP member, says it would be a “historic error” for Ms Sturgeon to reverse policy on a referendum that she announced just three months ago.

“I think its going to make her look ineffectual,” Mr Kelly said. “It’s very difficult to back down on that without alienating her supporters.”

“If the SNP appease the sworn opponents of independence and jettison an independence referendum, then I am going to walk away from the SNP,” wrote one commentator on Mr Kelly’s blog.

Yes, James, you tell her. Stick to her guns. Onwards, to another victory like this one...

An empty threat from Kelly. The SNP is all he's got.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149

They were performing a high-wire act to channel the left over Brexit euphoria from June last year. Now that's gone it will not come back.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jessicaelgot: Damian Green appointed First Secretary of State and Minister for the Cabinet Office.

So basically DPM?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Essexit said:

viewcode said:

Essexit said:

I suspect if it was some religion other than Protestant Christian people would be rather less sanguine about the marches.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    edited June 2017
    Labour have the big mo.

Indeed a Survation - ergo accurate - poll over the weekend puts them well ahead.

The Tories blew it.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    edited June 2017
    Alistair said:

I think I've identified the greatest political blunder of the last 2 years.

It was David Cameron repeating his mums advice to Corbyn to put on a suit and do up his tie.

:smile:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849

Scott_P said:

So basically DPM?
    Basically MOOC - May's old Oxford chum.
    A decent guy, but only marginally competent.

• Options

Scott_P said:

So basically DPM?
    First secretary of State? Has the UK migrated westwards?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Essexit said:

viewcode said:

Essexit said:

I suspect if it was some religion other than Protestant Christian people would be rather less sanguine about the marches.
    Probably applies in the opposite direction too, to be honest.
  • Options
    @IanDunt: Interesting. May makes pro-EU Damian Green First Secretary of State and Minister for the Cabinet Office.

@IanDunt: First secretary of state a very strange, mercurial position, not always in use. But could potentially suggest a softening of Brexit position
  • Options

Not with May. And the 'brand' is damaged. The only way they can do is to get a leader which can kill a few sacred cows. Grammar schools need to go in the dustbin, as does fox hunting.

A commitment to actually deal with social care and the NHS is needed, even it it means putting put both income tax (the lib dems 1p on the basis rate didn't scare the horses) and actually needing a death tax (not a dementia tax).

Why not have a death tax of say 5% over 100k? (as well as inheritance tax). That doesn't seem onerous particaully it's clear, and measureable.
    May is clearly the worst PM in modern times. True she hasn't actually lost the unloseable election but she had a damn good try.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

So basically DPM?

Er... Why?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited June 2017
    Mr Slackbladder,

Owning a house worth about £200k means I'd be able to spend £100k on living it up in my dotage - I'm nearly there already. Although I'm not sure I'm up to the wine, women and song.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Scott_P said:

An empty threat from Kelly. The SNP is all he's got.
    Going forward with a new ref alienates one group of voters, not going forward alienates another.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Labour have the big mo.

Indeed a Survation - ergo accurate - poll over the weekend buts them well ahead.

The Tories blew it.

Nice to see Corbyn and McDonnel absolutely solid on Brexit.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Norm said:

Scott_P said:

So basically DPM?
    First secretary of State? Has the UK migrated westwards?
    "Brexit means brexit, it also means becoming the 51st state, we must beat Peurto Rico to it".
  • Options

Labour have the big mo.

Indeed a Survation - ergo accurate - poll over the weekend puts them well ahead.

The Tories blew it.

If the tories want any hope they need some big gestures and to shoot some labour foxes if/when they get into power.

Stick up some taxes, go for a quick easy soft Brexit (if possible). Do anything to de-toxify before they get voted out.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169
    Norm said:

My aunt who lives in a pretty village outside Canterbury is mortified at the result there. However the relative unpopularity of Julian Brazier was undoubtedly a factor.

I doubt he was expecting to fight another election. Boundary changes will substantially change the seat and I think he was going to lose out to a neighbouring MP for the candidacy.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    daodao said:

JackW said:

I'm still struggling to see why Corbyn and McDonnell being IRA sympathisers is not an issue while the DUP being religious zealots is. But that does seem to be where we are.

I fear you must have been tone deaf for the past seven weeks or was it my imagination that the Conservatives and their press allies might have mentioned Corbyn, McDonnell and the IRA/Hamas link about a gazillion times per nano second.
    From a UK perspective, albeit one that I do not share, there is nothing wrong with the leading unionist party in GB collaborating with another unionist party such as the DUP - I suspect that May is in accord with their Christian values.

It is quite another matter for parties that aspire to govern the UK to collaborate or even consider collaborating with parties that are enemies of the state such as the SNP or SF.

You forgot to add Plaid Cymru, the SDLP and the Scottish Green Party to your hit list.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

So basically DPM?

Er... Why?
    Green's her mate, they've known each other since Uni.

#Chumocracy

Edit - I quite like Green.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    JackW said:

daodao said:

JackW said:

You forgot to add Plaid Cymru, the SDLP and the Scottish Green Party to your hit list.
    You forgot the the SDLP got wiped out by Sinn Fein. No NI nationalists sitting in Parliament.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Scott_P said:

Good move. Although pro-EU, Green stated he accepted the referendum result, so the Leavers will wave through his appointment, though he'll probably remain on probation.
  • Options
    @hannahrosewoods: Gosh Boris Johnson MP and Michael Gove MP must be really upset that someone screenshotted their super secret WhatsApp group

@CharlieBeckett: This isn't a leak, it's a press release twitter.com/danielhewittit…
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    I see that daft modern internet phrase "virtual signalling" is polluting the thread yet again. Colour me shocked, go gangbusters etc etc etc...
  • Options

Typo said:

Needs a clear out of dead wood and the 'old guard'. Get guys/women in their 30s and 40s with promise in.
    How many of those with promise are prepared to destroy it by being part of a prop up May operation ?
  • Options

He made those seats unloseable though Theresa did try her best.
    So who was it who pedalled the 'Only Dave can win in Cornwall' line ?

Was it Dave or was it George ?

Whoever it was it was bollox.

I will say, as I said in 2010, that Cameron did help the Conservatives in Oxford W.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

So basically DPM?

Er... Why?
    Green's her mate, they've known each other since Uni.

#Chumocracy

Edit - I quite like Green.
    Nice, but ineffectual.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Slackbladder,

Owning a house worth about £200k means I'd be able to spend £100k on living it up in my dotage - I'm nearly there already. Although I'm not sure I'm up to the wine, women and song.

Yeah but if you had £200k, a bill of £5k wouldn't be huge. Especially if married couples made it £200k. (as the transfer between married couples would be exempt, like IHT is).

Taxes have to start moving from income to wealth, its going to be the only way forward. Otherwise working people are going to have to pay more and more for elderly services as demographics change.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

@hannahrosewoods: Gosh Boris Johnson MP and Michael Gove MP must be really upset that someone screenshotted their super secret WhatsApp group

@CharlieBeckett: This isn't a leak, it's a press release twitter.com/danielhewittit…

let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Boris doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@IanDunt: Interesting. May makes pro-EU Damian Green First Secretary of State and Minister for the Cabinet Office.

@IanDunt: First secretary of state a very strange, mercurial position, not always in use. But could potentially suggest a softening of Brexit position

Mercurial is possibly the last epithet which would occur to me in connection with Green.
    And can a position be mercurial ?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    isam said:
    To be fair at the time they were right that he was a crap leader. He had a huge number of failures in leading his party, his tenure as LOTO pre election was largely shambolic. Of course the wipeout predictions were wide of the mark. His strength lay in being a great campaigner. With a fresh start now, his test now is to prove he can lead when he actually has the support of the PLP at large, and the wind beneath his sails. I don't think he looked un-prime ministerial on Marr this morning, he seems very at ease now.

Also, very strange that the tories not play that clip day in day out during the campaign to stoke up divisions in the labour party? They allowed Labour to run a united campaign.

• Options
    Boris isn't going to be shafted this time. Without Ruth Davidson in the field, I can't see anyone else who has proven to be an election winner. The Tories will want someone with charisma after trying the robot route. Nobody doubts that Boris has that. I'm not saying he would be able to turn the momentum around and win an election but he's probably the only one available who really could.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Green decision appears odd.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited June 2017
    viewcode said:

justin124 said:

If I may return to June 9th and TM's visit to the Palace. Contrary to what most people believe there was no constitutional requirement for her to do that - PMs are not reappointed after General Elections under our system but simply carry on in office or resign to make way for someone else. The visit to see the Queen,therefore, was more out of courtesy and to inform the monarch of her intentions given the unclear election outcome. It was certainly not a question of 'TM seeking permission to form a Government'. Thatcher did not visit the Palace when re-elected in 1983 & 1987 - neither did Wilson in 1966 & October 1974. Blair seems to have begun this new tendency by going to the Palace when re-elected in 2001 & 2005. Cameron followed his example in 2015 - but it really is more of a photo-opportunity than something the PM is obliged to do. There is a lot of ignorance on this extending to jounalists such as Laura Kuensberg!

I'm more than happy to believe you but do you have links for Thatcher not visiting the Palace in 1983 & 1987 or Wilson in 1966?
    Not immediately to hand - but it is actually very clear from the BBC Parliament replay of those earlier elections. In 1966 Wilson went to Transport House on Friday afternoon to thank party workers but no trip to the Palace. I don't believe that he and Thatcher went to see the Queen until they had drawn up their new lists of Cabinet Ministers a few days later.
  • Options

Why so ?
    When you've pissed off a large portion of your party, promoting old friends has its attractions.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091
    calum said:
    Possibly correctly. It appears that it is a fairly interesting question:
    http://typefoundry.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/number-ten.html

"The number on the door comprised the figures one and zero from the standard ‘Trajan’ alphabet approved for use by the Ministry of Works, in which the zero was simply the capital letter O."

So using a capital 'O' instead of zero might be correct.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

Boris isn't going to be shafted this time. Without Ruth Davidson in the field, I can't see anyone else who has proven to be an election winner. The Tories will want someone with charisma after trying the robot route. Nobody doubts that Boris has that. I'm not saying he would be able to turn the momentum around and win an election but he's probably the only one available who really could.

Those yougov stats last night don't scream 'election winner' to me.

Tories need fresh blood, preferably from its more liberal wing.
  • Options
    Amusing Twitter moment. 'I bet most people can't name the six counties of Ulster' before someone points out Ulster has nine.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925

Yeah, DPM is basically there to take "cover" for the PM.

Wouldn't you want someone who is popular with the grass-roots and a good media performer?

Strange.
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207

May is clearly the worst PM in modern times. True she hasn't actually lost the unloseable election but she had a damn good try.
    What constitutes "winning" and "losing" and is there any relevance to these labels?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,299
    calum said:

Och, it was surely just a Protestant Banter Group that got a bit carried away.

'Tory candidate apologies after Bloody Sunday post on Facebook

A TORY council candidate who asked people to ‘like’ a picture on Facebook of the Parachute Regiment on Bloody Sunday has apologised for “misjudgements” and causing offence.

Neill Graham, who is standing in the Paisley Northeast and Ralston ward in Renfrewshire, shared the image from the “Proud to be a Protestant banter group”, the Herald revealed.'

http://tinyurl.com/y793pfme
  • Options
    Mr. B, if it comes down to a battle of May's friends versus everyone else, everyone else has the numbers.

Mr. Tonda, aye, similar comments were made by many people during the campaign. Sadly, the sage advice was ignored.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

You say kill Grammar schools but what is to be done with UK Education, where the key stats are terrible and getting worse. How little our children learn compared with other nations, how few can speak a foreign language when many on the continent speak several, business knowledge frowned upon, as is even sporting competition.

The biggest promoter of inequality possible is poor Education and in most of those big Labour voting cities 50% plus fail at 16. At least Grammar schools would give a few more of humble background a chance to get to the top end, rather than the current situation where Private Education is so superior, followed by state schools in prosperous areas.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    If May sacks Leadsom that could cause a leadership challenge.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I'm only a layman, but I guess it's appropriate that a bookie should be careful with the subjunctive mood.
  • Options
    Thank feck, Liz Truss demoted to Chief Secretary.

Please please bring back Michael Gove
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The PM is also pro EU if you recall.
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207

Mr. Fletcher, I agree. It's a magic filter, whereby Corbyn sympathising with the IRA seemingly gets a free pass, and the DUP do not.

Not that I approve of the deal. But nor do I approve of rampant hypocrisy.

It seems you don't approve of Labour hypocrisy but are content with Tory hypocrisy. Which is a tad hypocritical.
  • Options

Mr. B, if it comes down to a battle of May's friends versus everyone else, everyone else has the numbers.

Mr. Tonda, aye, similar comments were made by many people during the campaign. Sadly, the sage advice was ignored.

Quite right, Mr.D.
    But her desperation to cling on, and her desire to keep friendly faces close are not odd. They are quite understandable - and also futile and damaging to her party, not to mention to the chances of managing some sort of orderly Brexit.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I see that daft modern internet phrase "virtual signalling" is polluting the thread yet again. Colour me shocked, go gangbusters etc etc etc...

Yes, I used it. If you are the same Bobajob who isn't meant to comment on what I say, maybe you shouldn't?

And the people who nominated Corbyn to show off how "fair" they were, when really they did it because they thought he was hopeless and had no chance, were VIRTUE SIGNALLING
  • Options
    Cat fight!

@RidgeOnSunday: Yvette Cooper says Tory coalition with the DUP could put Northern Ireland peace process in jeopardy #Ridge pic.twitter.com/JnvU5h3u00

@CarolineFlintMP: No it doesn't. Gordon Brown sought deals with DUP. There's lots of other reasons this deal won't work for May. twitter.com/ridgeonsunday/…
  • Options
    macisback said:

You say kill Grammar schools but what is to be done with UK Education, where the key stats are terrible and getting worse. How little our children learn compared with other nations, how few can speak a foreign language when many on the continent speak several, business knowledge frowned upon, as is even sporting competition.

The biggest promoter of inequality possible is poor Education and in most of those big Labour voting cities 50% plus fail at 16. At least Grammar schools would give a few more of humble background a chance to get to the top end, rather than the current situation where Private Education is so superior, followed by state schools in prosperous areas.
    Simple. Give power to teachers and schools to craft curriculum for their children and more freedom in their areas. Streamline academic children and provide vocational services for non-academic children. Invest more in practical and vocational studies.

This doesn't need grammar schools. It can be done in comprehensives (which still set).

• Options
    @GeorgeWParker: Come on Theresa, @michaelgove tweeted 1,236 supportive tweets about you during the election campaign..

:blush:
  • Options
    Survation

10 Jun 17

Con 39
    Lab 45
    Lib Dem 7
    UKIP 3
    Green 1

Lab +6

Source; Britain Elects
  • Options

I guess the management of the nation's finances has been downgraded in importance, judging by that appointment.

• Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

He was the front of a leave '£350m per week for the NHS' blatant lie and people haven't forgotten that. With the country completely split over Brexit I am not surprised he is Marmite to the public.

I can't vote for him.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091
    Off-topic:

After what's been an awful couple of months in British motorsport, BTCC driver Luke Davenport is in an induced coma after a crash during qualifying yesterday.

http://www.skysports.com/motorsport/news/15749/10911932/luke-davenport-in-induced-coma-after-british-touring-car-crash

Two other drivers injured. :( I hope they all recover quickly and fully.
  • Options
    Mr. Atia2, cite the hypocrisy.

I don't approve of the DUP deal. I'd prefer a Con-Lib Dem deal. Unfortunately, Farron has decided the purpose of being elected is to oppose the government rather than to try and govern the country, and he's ruled out such a deal.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    edited June 2017
    jonny83 said:

He was the front of a leave '£350m per week for the NHS' blatant lie and people haven't forgotten that. With the country completely split over Brexit I am not surprised he is Marmite to the public.

I can't vote for him.
    Well, that particular issue would be solved immediately by him giving the NHS £350m more a week :p
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    Nigelb said:

I guess the management of the nation's finances has been downgraded in importance, judging by that appointment.

Presumably Hammond wanted her. Seeing as he and Boris are running the Government now.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Survation

10 Jun 17

Con 39
    Lab 45
    Lib Dem 7
    UKIP 3
    Green 1

Lab +6

Source; Britain Elects

Kippers on the way back!

All the people who used to slag me off for saying they would be nothing without Farage seem reluctant to peddle the myth that he was a drag on their vote now
  • Options

If May sacks Leadsom that could cause a leadership challenge.

It is odd how Left of centre Times journalist Rachel Sylvester's notorious hatchet job on Leadsom has proved to be so significant. Leadsom's faults were laid bare but how Tories must wish a leadership election had been held.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, likewise. Was it just bad luck?

Mr. Evershed, it's a febrile atmosphere. Polls will likely be volatile for a time. Assuming we don't have another snap election, I'd ignore polls for a couple of weeks, then see how they settle.
This discussion has been closed.