Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 2017 general election: The most profitable general electio

Comments

• Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    RobD said:

jonny83 said:

Boris isn't going to be shafted this time. Without Ruth Davidson in the field, I can't see anyone else who has proven to be an election winner. The Tories will want someone with charisma after trying the robot route. Nobody doubts that Boris has that. I'm not saying he would be able to turn the momentum around and win an election but he's probably the only one available who really could.

Those yougov stats last night don't scream 'election winner' to me.

Tories need fresh blood, preferably from its more liberal wing.
    He was the front of a leave '£350m per week for the NHS' blatant lie and people haven't forgotten that. With the country completely split over Brexit I am not surprised he is Marmite to the public.

I can't vote for him.
    Well, that particular issue would be solved immediately by him giving the NHS £350m more a week :p
    I don't think we can afford to lol.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,715
    Scott_P said:

Cat fight!

@RidgeOnSunday: Yvette Cooper says Tory coalition with the DUP could put Northern Ireland peace process in jeopardy #Ridge pic.twitter.com/JnvU5h3u00

@CarolineFlintMP: No it doesn't. Gordon Brown sought deals with DUP. There's lots of other reasons this deal won't work for May. twitter.com/ridgeonsunday/…

Jonathan Powell says it will put NI peace process in jeopardy. He should know, he negotiated it.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

Survation

10 Jun 17

Con 39
    Lab 45
    Lib Dem 7
    UKIP 3
    Green 1

Lab +6

Source; Britain Elects

The mo.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,678
    calum said:
    Like they do on the actual door in Downing Street
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    atia2 said:

One point I'd like to make is that those people who claim the Tories are doomed are forgetting the Tories were genuinely miles ahead at the locals. If they can lose support that quickly, they can get it back.

But not without a swift about turn, I accept that.

Not with May. And the 'brand' is damaged. The only way they can do is to get a leader which can kill a few sacred cows. Grammar schools need to go in the dustbin, as does fox hunting.

A commitment to actually deal with social care and the NHS is needed, even it it means putting put both income tax (the lib dems 1p on the basis rate didn't scare the horses) and actually needing a death tax (not a dementia tax).

Why not have a death tax of say 5% over 100k? (as well as inheritance tax). That doesn't seem onerous particaully it's clear, and measureable.
    May is clearly the worst PM in modern times. True she hasn't actually lost the unloseable election but she had a damn good try.
    What constitutes "winning" and "losing" and is there any relevance to these labels?

The one with power has won.

So May has won until she is challenged for the leadership and loses.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@IanDunt: Interesting. May makes pro-EU Damian Green First Secretary of State and Minister for the Cabinet Office.

@IanDunt: First secretary of state a very strange, mercurial position, not always in use. But could potentially suggest a softening of Brexit position

The PM is also pro EU if you recall.
    So is Green the Deputy PM?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Norm said:

If May sacks Leadsom that could cause a leadership challenge.

It is odd how Left of centre Times journalist Rachel Sylvester's notorious hatchet job on Leadsom has proved to be so significant. Leadsom's faults were laid bare but how Tories must wish a leadership election had been held.
    Not Really. May would have won anyway. I doubt we would have learned anything at that time.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Jonathan Powell says it will put NI peace process in jeopardy. He should know, he negotiated it.

So what did he say when Gordo was talking to them?

*crickets*
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207

atia2 said:

One point I'd like to make is that those people who claim the Tories are doomed are forgetting the Tories were genuinely miles ahead at the locals. If they can lose support that quickly, they can get it back.

Not with May. And the 'brand' is damaged. The only way they can do is to get a leader which can kill a few sacred cows. Grammar schools need to go in the dustbin, as does fox hunting.

A commitment to actually deal with social care and the NHS is needed, even it it means putting put both income tax (the lib dems 1p on the basis rate didn't scare the horses) and actually needing a death tax (not a dementia tax).

Why not have a death tax of say 5% over 100k? (as well as inheritance tax). That doesn't seem onerous particaully it's clear, and measureable.
    May is clearly the worst PM in modern times. True she hasn't actually lost the unloseable election but she had a damn good try.
    What constitutes "winning" and "losing" and is there any relevance to these labels?

Then, potentially, the Tories *and* the DUP have won. The Tories alone cannot be said to have won, under your criterion.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Thank feck, Liz Truss demoted to Chief Secretary.

I guess the management of the nation's finances has been downgraded in importance, judging by that appointment.

Presumably Hammond wanted her. Seeing as he and Boris are running the Government now.
    Truss is anybody's.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So what did he say when Gordo was talking to them?

*crickets*
    Dunno. I don't remember Brown talking to them, but it probably did happen. Powell was out of any government role by then.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    isam said:

I see that daft modern internet phrase "virtual signalling" is polluting the thread yet again. Colour me shocked, go gangbusters etc etc etc...

Yes, I used it. If you are the same Bobajob who isn't meant to comment on what I say, maybe you shouldn't?

And the people who nominated Corbyn to show off how "fair" they were, when really they did it because they thought he was hopeless and had no chance, were VIRTUE SIGNALLING
    Virtue signalling does have some concrete examples as a concept, and I think those Corbyn nominators who actually didn't support him, in order to 'broaden the debate' would be a good example of it.

But generally, the word is so overused by those on the right to mean anyone expressing a left wing view, that it loses its original meaning. Just like certain lefties overusing fascist for anyone with right wing views.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,404

They were performing a high-wire act to channel the left over Brexit euphoria from June last year. Now that's gone it will not come back.
    Other problem is they've completely lost the sense that they're the only sensible dependable game in town. That helped them get over the line in 2015 and looked likely to deliver a thumping win in 2017. Now, no Tory will be taken seriously when they argue a Labour govt will lead to chaos as the Tories have done so by losing not one but two electoral gambles designed for party political advantage. A reputation of sober stability won't come back for a very long time - if ever. Look at what the financial crisis and what it did to Labour's economic credibility - and that on the whole, wasn't unnecessarily self-inflicted.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited June 2017
    JackW said:

daodao said:

JackW said:

I'm still struggling to see why Corbyn and McDonnell being IRA sympathisers is not an issue while the DUP being religious zealots is. But that does seem to be where we are.

I fear you must have been tone deaf for the past seven weeks or was it my imagination that the Conservatives and their press allies might have mentioned Corbyn, McDonnell and the IRA/Hamas link about a gazillion times per nano second.
    From a UK perspective, albeit one that I do not share, there is nothing wrong with the leading unionist party in GB collaborating with another unionist party such as the DUP - I suspect that May is in accord with their Christian values.

It is quite another matter for parties that aspire to govern the UK to collaborate or even consider collaborating with parties that are enemies of the state such as the SNP or SF.

You forgot to add Plaid Cymru, the SDLP and the Scottish Green Party to your hit list.
    I merely gave examples, but PC (for whom I have actually voted in the European and "list" part of WAG elections) should be on the list. I'm not sure about the stoop down low party (which now seems to be finished as a significant political force) and don't know enough about the Scottish Greens to comment.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198

Norm said:

My aunt who lives in a pretty village outside Canterbury is mortified at the result there. However the relative unpopularity of Julian Brazier was undoubtedly a factor.

I doubt he was expecting to fight another election. Boundary changes will substantially change the seat and I think he was going to lose out to a neighbouring MP for the candidacy.
    Are they all still going ahead then?
  • Options
    atia2 said:

atia2 said:

Then, potentially, the Tories *and* the DUP have won. The Tories alone cannot be said to have won, under your criterion.
    Would you say Labour can win on these seat numbers?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,850
    Rumours swirling that Priti Patel either sacked or demoted
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Norm said:

It is odd how Left of centre Times journalist Rachel Sylvester's notorious hatchet job on Leadsom has proved to be so significant. Leadsom's faults were laid bare but how Tories must wish a leadership election had been held.
    Not Really. May would have won anyway. I doubt we would have learned anything at that time.
    Think you would have - leadership elections get a lot of media attention. May's lack of suppleness would have been clear to all.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 474
    I like the title First Secretary of State, thanks have to go to Michael Heseltine and John Major for bringing it back into use. Was Michael Heseltine also the first modern-era President of the Board of Trade? Wikipedia suggests that all the Secretaries of Trade and Industry of the 1970s and 1980s had that title but I can't recall it ever being used.
  • Options
    BigIan said:

Norm said:

My aunt who lives in a pretty village outside Canterbury is mortified at the result there. However the relative unpopularity of Julian Brazier was undoubtedly a factor.

I doubt he was expecting to fight another election. Boundary changes will substantially change the seat and I think he was going to lose out to a neighbouring MP for the candidacy.
    Are they all still going ahead then?
    Is anything still going ahead?
  • Options

Hello EFTA/EEA
  • Options

Mr. Atia2, cite the hypocrisy.

The Tories attacked Corbyn for meeting with Sinn Fein, which had links to the IRA. They now seek the support of DUP, which had links to loyalist paramilitaries.

Corbyn met Sinn Fein, which had links to the IRA. Labour members now attack the Tories for seeking the support of the DUP, which had links to loyalist paramilitaries.

You pointed out the latter hypocrisy, but not the former. That's meta-hypocrisy.

Of course, it's all childish bullshit, which the Tories started. They have been hoisted by their own petard!
  • Options
    atia2 said:

atia2 said:

DUP will have some power, but the fear of a Corbyn government perhaps impacts that. They won't want to see him in power, no chance.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited June 2017

isam said:

I see that daft modern internet phrase "virtual signalling" is polluting the thread yet again. Colour me shocked, go gangbusters etc etc etc...

Yes, I used it. If you are the same Bobajob who isn't meant to comment on what I say, maybe you shouldn't?

And the people who nominated Corbyn to show off how "fair" they were, when really they did it because they thought he was hopeless and had no chance, were VIRTUE SIGNALLING
    Virtue signalling does have some concrete examples as a concept, and I think those Corbyn nominators who actually didn't support him, in order to 'broaden the debate' would be a good example of it.

But generally, the word is so overused by those on the right to mean anyone expressing a left wing view, that it loses its original meaning. Just like certain lefties overusing fascist for anyone with right wing views.
    Sure, yes. I am not a frequent user of the phrase, but it describes the action of Labour MP's that nominated Corbyn, even though they didn't support him, in order to 'broaden the debate', perfectly.
  • Options
    MJW said:

They were performing a high-wire act to channel the left over Brexit euphoria from June last year. Now that's gone it will not come back.
    Other problem is they've completely lost the sense that they're the only sensible dependable game in town. That helped them get over the line in 2015 and looked likely to deliver a thumping win in 2017. Now, no Tory will be taken seriously when they argue a Labour govt will lead to chaos as the Tories have done so by losing not one but two electoral gambles designed for party political advantage. A reputation of sober stability won't come back for a very long time - if ever. Look at what the financial crisis and what it did to Labour's economic credibility - and that on the whole, wasn't unnecessarily self-inflicted.
    It will come back, look at labour in the 70s to 90s and look at the tories in 90s to well, recently.

But once it's lost, you can't get it back whilst still in power.
  • Options

Good. She is an idiot.

https://youtu.be/_DrsVhzbLzU
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 474

Unless she's refused to serve that's stupid. Patel's one of the best media performers the Tories have got.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Hello EFTA/EEA
    I'd say go for it. Opt into all the areas which people don't care about at all (air control, science, etc etc) and just get a deal done if at all possible.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Beth Rigby on Sky seems to be good on these reshuffles, good contacts as well.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

Unless she's refused to serve that's stupid. Patel's one of the best media performers the Tories have got.
    Nope. She is an idiot.

https://youtu.be/_DrsVhzbLzU
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,170

I don't approve of the DUP deal. I'd prefer a Con-Lib Dem deal. Unfortunately, Farron has decided the purpose of being elected is to oppose the government rather than to try and govern the country, and he's ruled out such a deal.

Sadly, for the Lib Dems, being elected is a purpose in itself.
  • Options

atia2 said:

atia2 said:

Would you say Labour can win on these seat numbers?
    No, no single party can be said to have "won", but the whole notion of "winning" is rather ridiculous. We know the composition of Parliament now. Why do we need to boil it down to "winner" and "loser"? These binary labels are too blunt to describe the current complex situation.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Cat fight!

@RidgeOnSunday: Yvette Cooper says Tory coalition with the DUP could put Northern Ireland peace process in jeopardy #Ridge pic.twitter.com/JnvU5h3u00

@CarolineFlintMP: No it doesn't. Gordon Brown sought deals with DUP. There's lots of other reasons this deal won't work for May. twitter.com/ridgeonsunday/…

Why are Labour moderate MPs turning on each other? How does Flint publicly rebuking Cooper help Labour? Strange.

Perhaps the next civil war in Labour will be between the #NeverCorbyn's (I think Flint is one) and the MPs willing to drink the Corbynade (Cooper has hinted she would consider returning to Shadow Cab).
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,349

I wonder if Theresa blames the eurosceptic Tory Right for her misfortunes, believing they handed the youth and metropolitan vote straight to Jezza. That won't be entirely fair if she does, but perhaps psychologically she's in need of scapegoats.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Sure, yes. I am not a frequent user of the phrase, but it describes the action of Labour MP's that nominated Corbyn, even though they didn't support him, in order to 'broaden the debate', perfectly.
    Also for example people wearing 'this is what a feminist looks like' T-shirt which has been made in a sweatshop, or having 'Bring back our girls' posters when that boko harmen thing happen, but doing nothing else about it.

It's an action to 'show' you care, but actually not doing anything.
  • Options

I wonder if Theresa blames the eurosceptic Tory Right for her misfortunes, believing they handed the youth and metropolitan vote straight to Jezza. That won't be entirely fair if she does, but perhaps psychologically she's in need of scapegoats.
    She wont know what to think - the Brains Trust who patch her s/w each night have been sacked.

• Options
    daodao said:

JackW said:

daodao said:

JackW said:

I'm still struggling to see why Corbyn and McDonnell being IRA sympathisers is not an issue while the DUP being religious zealots is. But that does seem to be where we are.

I fear you must have been tone deaf for the past seven weeks or was it my imagination that the Conservatives and their press allies might have mentioned Corbyn, McDonnell and the IRA/Hamas link about a gazillion times per nano second.
    From a UK perspective, albeit one that I do not share, there is nothing wrong with the leading unionist party in GB collaborating with another unionist party such as the DUP - I suspect that May is in accord with their Christian values.

It is quite another matter for parties that aspire to govern the UK to collaborate or even consider collaborating with parties that are enemies of the state such as the SNP or SF.

You forgot to add Plaid Cymru, the SDLP and the Scottish Green Party to your hit list.
    I merely gave examples, but PC (for whom I have actually voted in the European and "list" part of WAG elections) should be on the list. I'm not sure about the stoop down low party (which now seems to be finished as a significant political force) and don't know enough about the Scottish Greens to comment.
    PC don't actually advocate separation from the UK at this point do they? Just more powers. So not sure they would qualify under an 'enemy of the state' criteria at all. Scottish Greens support indy so they would qualify.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,038
    Scott_P said:

Interesting

twitter.com/newtonemerson/status/873874637091950592

It's just an excuse to bash the Tories :p
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Wasn't it more cynical than that? They included Corbyn intending that his humiliating loss would silence the hard left, which had a legitimate claim to reform after two disappointing campaigns fought on a centrist platform.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

macisback said:

You say kill Grammar schools but what is to be done with UK Education, where the key stats are terrible and getting worse. How little our children learn compared with other nations, how few can speak a foreign language when many on the continent speak several, business knowledge frowned upon, as is even sporting competition.

The biggest promoter of inequality possible is poor Education and in most of those big Labour voting cities 50% plus fail at 16. At least Grammar schools would give a few more of humble background a chance to get to the top end, rather than the current situation where Private Education is so superior, followed by state schools in prosperous areas.
    Simple. Give power to teachers and schools to craft curriculum for their children and more freedom in their areas. Streamline academic children and provide vocational services for non-academic children. Invest more in practical and vocational studies.

This doesn't need grammar schools. It can be done in comprehensives (which still set).

Most Comps are not working though the rate of fail is huge. They inherit large problems though the Primary curriculum is so narrow and test focused kids lose motivation.

In the days before the narrow scrutiny of SATS and OFSTED the amount of kids unable to read and write was epidemic and classroom behavior often out of hand. These issues have improved, not sure I would trust the teachers and education establishment myself to craft the curriculum.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Cat fight!

Why are Labour moderate MPs turning on each other? How does Flint publicly rebuking Cooper help Labour? Strange.

Perhaps the next civil war in Labour will be between the #NeverCorbyn's (I think Flint is one) and the MPs willing to drink the Corbynade (Cooper has hinted she would consider returning to Shadow Cab).
    I have to be honest if it was a choice of Flint or Cooper to my dinner party table it'll be Flint any day.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Mr. Atia2, Corbyn's IRA sympathising occurred even as the bombings were happening. Meeting Sinn Fein members for negotiations for peace, or afterwards, is entirely different to standing shoulder-to-shoulder with them as the bullets are flying and the bombs are going off.

Diane Abbott, who, if the worst happens, will be Home Secretary, said this:
    https://twitter.com/KurlyKrissy/status/869832021895520256

Find me a Conservative who said that, and I'll condemn them too.

Mr. Chris, indeed. If a party isn't there to govern, what is it there for?
  • Options
    calum said:

First among equals?

Equally walking dead.
  • Options
  • Options
    AR404AR404 Posts: 21

Norm said:

But maybe it would have tested her and a bruising contest might have prevented her calling a general election so quickly after an actual leadership contest. Remember Brown was also criticised for years after for not being tested in a leadership election against the very John McDonnell in 2007.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,264
    justin124 said:

viewcode said:

justin124 said:

If I may return to June 9th and TM's visit to the Palace. Contrary to what most people believe there was no constitutional requirement for her to do that - PMs are not reappointed after General Elections under our system but simply carry on in office or resign to make way for someone else. The visit to see the Queen,therefore, was more out of courtesy and to inform the monarch of her intentions given the unclear election outcome. It was certainly not a question of 'TM seeking permission to form a Government'. Thatcher did not visit the Palace when re-elected in 1983 & 1987 - neither did Wilson in 1966 & October 1974. Blair seems to have begun this new tendency by going to the Palace when re-elected in 2001 & 2005. Cameron followed his example in 2015 - but it really is more of a photo-opportunity than something the PM is obliged to do. There is a lot of ignorance on this extending to jounalists such as Laura Kuensberg!

I'm more than happy to believe you but do you have links for Thatcher not visiting the Palace in 1983 & 1987 or Wilson in 1966?
    Not immediately to hand - but it is actually very clear from the BBC Parliament replay of those earlier elections. In 1966 Wilson went to Transport House on Friday afternoon to thank party workers but no trip to the Palace. I don't believe that he and Thatcher went to see the Queen until they had drawn up their new lists of Cabinet Ministers a few days later.
    Thank you for trying anyway
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 423
    Chris said:

I don't approve of the DUP deal. I'd prefer a Con-Lib Dem deal. Unfortunately, Farron has decided the purpose of being elected is to oppose the government rather than to try and govern the country, and he's ruled out such a deal.

Unfortunately the last time the LibDems supported the Tories, it turned into an existential crisis. That's not an unfortunate decision from Farron, they just are unable to do it. You can't ask someone with PTSD to go back to the front...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    No they are just frothing bigots who think gay people are an abomination. Just say that.
  • Options
    Cameron forming a coalition with Lib Dems seen as a victory.

May having a Confidence and Supply arrangement with DUP seen as a defeat.

Expectations? Who needs them?
  • Options
    macisback said:

macisback said:

You say kill Grammar schools but what is to be done with UK Education, where the key stats are terrible and getting worse. How little our children learn compared with other nations, how few can speak a foreign language when many on the continent speak several, business knowledge frowned upon, as is even sporting competition.

The biggest promoter of inequality possible is poor Education and in most of those big Labour voting cities 50% plus fail at 16. At least Grammar schools would give a few more of humble background a chance to get to the top end, rather than the current situation where Private Education is so superior, followed by state schools in prosperous areas.

This doesn't need grammar schools. It can be done in comprehensives (which still set).

Most Comps are not working though the rate of fail is huge. They inherit large problems though the Primary curriculum is so narrow and test focused kids lose motivation.

In the days before the narrow scrutiny of SATS and OFSTED the amount of kids unable to read and write was epidemic and classroom behavior often out of hand. These issues have improved, not sure I would trust the teachers and education establishment myself to craft the curriculum.
    I think we need the removal of SATS and testing to a certain degree, and to get off childrens and teachers micromanaged backs.

There is of course a need for standards, but I think the balance to teach to test is just wrong at the moment. (and of course it makes unhappy teachers).

The tories need to find a away of getting the pubic sector back on their side. They can't keep being at war with teachers, doctors, police etc.....
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    According to theTimes, Labour did indeed narrowly win the women's vote.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,820

Scott_P said:
    No they are just frothing bigots who think gay people are an abomination. Just say that.
    and yet you seem happy with the muslim vote, most of which shares the same values you criticise

perhaps you could explain the difference
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    I understand the sweetie manifesto put out by Labour as it was an attempt to stem the possible huge losses, but now they might actually get into government, can they change it at all? I'm assuming we'll be having an election before the Autumn.

There's no way the Tories could compete with that, and it will be difficult to criticise it as they didn't even try last time round. For the same reason, it may be difficult to bring up the deficit.

That's why they have to have a completely new leader. The longer they leave it, the worse it will be. Not sure who stands out for the Tories - unless they have an attractive woman with big tits - but that's just me being shallow.

I feel a little sympathy for some of the Tories. They're in a real bind, and that's not good for democracy, especially as Jezza can't go wrong even if he tried. I assume that he won't be hosting a conference with IS.

Come on LDs, accept the result of the referendum, and stop sulking, it's not a good look.
    I'm already bored with being a NOTA.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Norm said:
    I think a few critics of the DUP fit that Modern Parents comparison :lol:
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821

daodao said:

JackW said:

daodao said:

JackW said:

PC don't actually advocate separation from the UK at this point do they? Just more powers. So not sure they would qualify under an 'enemy of the state' criteria at all. Scottish Greens support indy so they would qualify.
    Re Plaid: it's a moot point - they still aspire to independence, but recognise that it is only a long-term aim. Their vision of a semi-independent Cymru (like say Lithuania) within a Federal European Union is not popular with many people in Wales who voted for Brexit. They seem to have gone backwards in this GE and despite (narrowly) gaining 1 extra seat, now have minimal support outside the 4 seats they hold in Y Fro Gymraeg.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    calum said:
    He's a twitter troll.

Or perhaps more accurately, a usually interesting twitterer who has gone a bit martin boon.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,601
    viewcode said:
    Pity she voted for the wrong colour of yellow but still a great story.
  • Options

Dave won 108 seats in 2010,

Mrs May lost 13 seats in 2017, against Corbyn.

As I wrote the other day, success equals performance minus anticipation.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Scott_P said:
    and yet you seem happy with the muslim vote, most of which shares the same values you criticise

perhaps you could explain the difference
    +1
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Greening to education, which she was already.
  • Options

Chris said:

Unfortunately the last time the LibDems supported the Tories, it turned into an existential crisis. That's not an unfortunate decision from Farron, they just are unable to do it. You can't ask someone with PTSD to go back to the front...
    Lib Dems are against implementing the referendum result so unacceptable to Conservatives and vice versa.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Javid back in.
  • Options
    atia2 said:

The Tories attacked Corbyn for meeting with Sinn Fein, which had links to the IRA. They now seek the support of DUP, which had links to loyalist paramilitaries.

Corbyn met Sinn Fein, which had links to the IRA. Labour members now attack the Tories for seeking the support of the DUP, which had links to loyalist paramilitaries.

You pointed out the latter hypocrisy, but not the former. That's meta-hypocrisy.

Of course, it's all childish bullshit, which the Tories started. They have been hoisted by their own petard!
    SF dont have links to the IRA, they are the IRA

the DUP are not the loyalist paramilitaries, they have their own party the PUP.

most loyalist paramilitaries dont actually like the DUP
  • Options
    Alan

Nope. Anyone who thinks that is a bigot. I don't care who they are.

I'd rather have no religion at all to be honest, it clearly doesn't help people live and let live.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    I wonder who will get justice - I have a name in mind.
  • Options

Chris said:

Cameron and Osborne the moderate Tories the Libs always claim they prefer to the headbangers regally shafted them in 2015.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Won by 5pts I think?
  • Options
    Norm said:
    As far as I know no one is arguing the DUP supporters are terrorists - much like no one would argue that every Sinn Fein voter is a terrorist no matter what you think of the party.

In any case the terrorist sympathiser SF-mirror angle is not the big toxic issue here - it is their social policies which will rub off on the tories regardless of whether they are actually implemented in rUK or not. No one thinks the tories are about to abolish gay marriage because of DUP demands, but I am interested to see how any form of agreement with them helps the tories win back Kensington for example.
  • Options

Mr. Atia2, Corbyn's IRA sympathising occurred even as the bombings were happening. Meeting Sinn Fein members for negotiations for peace, or afterwards, is entirely different to standing shoulder-to-shoulder with them as the bullets are flying and the bombs are going off.

Diane Abbott, who, if the worst happens, will be Home Secretary, said this:
    https://twitter.com/KurlyKrissy/status/869832021895520256

Find me a Conservative who said that, and I'll condemn them too.

Mr. Chris, indeed. If a party isn't there to govern, what is it there for?

Even more important to be talking while the bombs are going off. One doesn't make peace with one's friends.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,264
    DM_Andy said:

I like the title First Secretary of State, thanks have to go to Michael Heseltine and John Major for bringing it back into use. Was Michael Heseltine also the first modern-era President of the Board of Trade? Wikipedia suggests that all the Secretaries of Trade and Industry of the 1970s and 1980s had that title but I can't recall it ever being used.

From memory, he was mocked by journalists and satirists for his presidential presumption in resurrecting the title.
  • Options

Dave won 108 seats in 2010,

Mrs May lost 13 seats in 2017, against Corbyn.

As I wrote the other day, success equals performance minus anticipation.
    Theresa 43%
    Dave 36%
  • Options
    I phoned the number. There is just this posh bloke laughing at the other end.
  • Options

atia2 said:

SF dont have links to the IRA, they are the IRA

the DUP are not the loyalist paramilitaries, they have their own party the PUP.

most loyalist paramilitaries dont actually like the DUP
    Can't remember the last time the DUP threw gays off tall buildings.
  • Options

Alan

I'd rather have no religion at all to be honest, it clearly doesn't help people live and let live.

so nope you cant explain it or nope your not happy with the votes of muslims ?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Alan

I agree with the bottom line.
  • Options
    Boo, David Liddington the new Justice Secretary.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,026

Alan

We aren't going to be able to abolish religion, any time soon.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017

Danny565 said:

Won by 5pts I think?
    That's not narrow - that's substantial.

I wonder how it compares to previous elections? Has the gender split ever been more pronounced?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

David Liddington
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited June 2017

JohnO said:

David Liddington
    One d
    Not the name I thought might just get it.
  • Options

TSE should become the new Tory Viceroy of PB.
  • Options

MJW said:

It will come back, look at labour in the 70s to 90s and look at the tories in 90s to well, recently.

But once it's lost, you can't get it back whilst still in power.
    Black Wednesday? That destroyed the Tories reputation for a (Parliamentary) generation.

Amongst people I'm talking to (on both sides of the political spectrum) there is anger, incredulity - but mostly it's contempt and derision. People think the whole thing is an epic cock-up that has made the country a laughing stock.
  • Options

Poor sod. Who would want it?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Danny565 said:

Won by 5pts I think?
    That's not narrow - that's substantial.

I wonder how it compares to previous elections? Has the gender split ever been more pronounced?
    The Tories won the women's vote by 4% in 2015.
  • Options

Chris said:

Lib Dems are against implementing the referendum result so unacceptable to Conservatives and vice versa.
    True. The LibDems actually can't do anything until Brexit actually happens. Then they can start the process of campaigning to rejoin...
  • Options

What do we want?

JUSTICE!

When do we want it?

Um, not quite yet!
  • Options

Gove, he was going to be the greatest force for Justice and rehabilitation in this country until Theresa May sacked him.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,982

Wonder whether Priti will launch a leadership bid tomorrow?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,601
    daodao said:

JackW said:

daodao said:

JackW said:

That would be the Scottish Green Party who stood in all of 3 seats and got just over 5k votes in total? What about the Elvis Bus Pass Party? Surely they have at least as good a claim.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

David Liddington
    One d
    Not the name I thought might just get it.
    Hunt?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BrianSpanner1: I foresee Jeremy Corbyn doing a cult tour of the UK, as Sturgeon did.

They never see beyond the peak of the bell curve.
  • Options

TSE should become the new Tory Viceroy of PB.
    Only Viceroy. Why not Roy?
  • Options
    Ok, so Priti Patel coming to Downing Street, so not sacked.
This discussion has been closed.