Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the new politics where the young ones actually turn

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the new politics where the young ones actually turn out to vote

Based on 30 minutes at polling station in marginal Bedford more young people than normal coming out to vote

Read the full story here

Comments

• numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    First like the DUP
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Good for them. I don't get the extent of the appeal (though I understand the reason for it) but better people turn out than not.
    kle4 said:

Good for them. I don't get the extent of the appeal (though I understand the reason for it) but better people turn out than not.

Yes, I agree. It is good for democracy that more people are voting.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    Labour has polled 42% of the vote in England. Extraordinary.
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    conservatives need a quick coronation now the country can't wait
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    Disaster. At least my reports back here from Torbay were spot on the money - Kevin Foster stuck over 10k onto his majority, up 12.4%; LibDem tactical votes unwinding, down 8.7%; Labour benefiting up 9.5%; and UKIP smashed, down 11.2%. However, I did say it felt like the caravan had moved on, that we in Torbay could only hear distant gunfire, but were no longer at the Front. The battle was elsewhere.

The central literature we were sent to deliver though was shite, in my opinion. Scatter gun, messy, confusing, no coherent message. The central premise was: Theresa May. What we were asked to deliver was a cult of personality to somebody who, frankly, has no personality. Certainly, nothing to sell. She has to go after this debacle because if she doesn't, nothing will improve.

I also think Philip Hammond takes a big chunk of blame. Labour's offering was avoid of any economic merit whatsoever. It was every wish you could imagine, cobbled together to appeal to the widest audience who wanted to hear SOMETHING as a reason to vote. The suppliers of Moons on Sticks have had a blinder. It should have been systematically DESTROYED.

Even from the bubble of Torbay, I feared this might happen. Not for nothing did I say that May needed to stand up on Monday and offer to meet the notorious £350m a week to the NHS by the end of this Parliament. No more of a Moon on a Stick than Labour were offering, but it would have given a PURPOSE to getting Brexit through. A purpose totally lacking in this campaign. She'd be looking at a majority north of 100 if she had.

This was a Brexit election that had nothing to sell to the voters. Some hard-hitting honesty about future pension costs and later life care costs was not a Manifesto to compensate. Not when the other guy is offering bright, shiny things, even if they were so fragile they would break before you could get them home.

The curse of interesting times lies ahead.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Give people a reason to vote and they will vote.

Corbyn gave the young reasons to vote.

Whereas the Conservatives didn't give their natural supporters sufficient reasons.
    Great times to be a NI Unionist. Now, about that wish-list to come out of Brexit.....
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

People let Labours loss of seats nationally blind them to what happened in 2015 - the government's majority fell massively. The pendulum is swinging​away from the government.
  • asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    kjohnw said:

Slight flaw is the lack of a suitable crown prince or princess to take the job
  • HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

kle4 said:

Yes, I agree. It is good for democracy that more people are voting.
    What happens if the new voters watch as the old politics happens though, derision is the usual answer. The Labour manifesto is asking for a large increase in the deficit, with Brexit and a recession statistically likely.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    edited June 2017
    Cannot believe the result my way in Ilford North - Wes Streeting put on 14% for Labour, increasing his majority from 589 to 9,639! Safe Labour now I guess.
    perhaps Boris is the best option, he's going to the next election owning Brexit and offering the £350 million a week to the NHS I certainly don't see how we're going to end up coming out of the single market now and freedom of movement. we end up staying in the EU in all but name
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    edited June 2017

Disaster. At least my reports back here from Torbay were spot on the money - Kevin Foster stuck over 10k onto his majority, up 12.4%; LibDem tactical votes unwinding, down 8.7%; Labour benefiting up 9.5%; and UKIP smashed, down 11.2%. However, I did say it felt like the caravan had moved on, that we in Torbay could only hear distant gunfire, but were no longer at the Front. The battle was elsewhere.

The central literature we were sent to deliver though was shite, in my opinion. Scatter gun, messy, confusing, no coherent message. The central premise was: Theresa May. What we were asked to deliver was a cult of personality to somebody who, frankly, has no personality. Certainly, nothing to sell. She has to go after this debacle because if she doesn't, nothing will improve.

I also think Philip Hammond takes a big chunk of blame. Labour's offering was avoid of any economic merit whatsoever. It was every wish you could imagine, cobbled together to appeal to the widest audience who wanted to hear SOMETHING as a reason to vote. The suppliers of Moons on Sticks have had a blinder. It should have been systematically DESTROYED.

Even from the bubble of Torbay, I feared this might happen. Not for nothing did I say that May needed to stand up on Monday and offer to meet the notorious £350m a week to the NHS by the end of this Parliament. No more of a Moon on a Stick than Labour were offering, but it would have given a PURPOSE to getting Brexit through. A purpose totally lacking in this campaign. She'd be looking at a majority north of 100 if she had.

This was a Brexit election that had nothing to sell to the voters. Some hard-hitting honesty about future pension costs and later life care costs was not a Manifesto to compensate. Not when the other guy is offering bright, shiny things, even if they were so fragile they would break before you could get them home.

The curse of interesting times lies ahead.

The problem is you, and the party, did not listen. Brexit was everything.
    edited June 2017

Cannot believe the result my way in Ilford North - Wes Streeting put on 11% for Labour, inccreasing his majority from 589 to 9,600! Safe Labour now I guess.

This election had shown that nothing is safe.

Take the voters for granted and you are twatted.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    kjohnw said:

That would solve the immediate problem, but are you not worried about pushing a mandate-less May mk2 on the country?

"Strong and stable means strong and stable"

doesn't really work.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    kjohnw said:

That worked well last time, Can;t understand the view that what is needed is another unelected, untried PM. don't know where we go, but an arrogant "we decide" is not good.

Cannot believe the result my way in Ilford North - Wes Streeting put on 14% for Labour, increasing his majority from 589 to 9,639! Safe Labour now I guess.

I think I predicted that sort of result from 100 miles away. :)
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Safe Red Tory more like. :smiley:
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

People let Labours loss of seats nationally blind them to what happened in 2015 - the government's majority fell massively. The pendulum is swinging​away from the government.
    Eh? Tories had NOC in 2010, and a working (if narrow) majority in 2015. Their 2010-5 majority was thanks to 50+ LibDems on the team
    Pong said:

kjohnw said:

That would solve the immediate problem, but are you not worried about pushing a mandate-less May mk2 on the country?
    what other choice do we have - chaos
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    Time to put the national interest first and form a government of national unity under Prime Minister John Curtice
    I think YouGov has a Tardis. Predicting High Peak and Canterbuy was bloody genius polling.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Time to put the national interest first and form a government of national unity under Prime Minister John Curtice

Due some form of gong, surely?
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Good Morning All

Recount in St Ives
    Jezza won 75.7% of the votes in Islington North, up 15.5%.
    Let Corbyn reign.

The people want change. That's obvious from Brexit and this election, even if the idiots screeching for change over the EU did not realise it.

Let him fuck up. The alternative is to let a wounded Conservative party fester on like a particularly odorous zombie.

Oh, and let the Brexiteers who are rucking off or have resources abroad - like MaxPB, Charles and sadly RCS - pay the consequences of their folly.

So many people need to look up the definition of 'conservative'.

I think YouGov has a Tardis. Predicting High Peak and Canterbuy was bloody genius polling.

:+1:
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Must be one of the safest seats in the realm now?
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    dixiedean said:

kjohnw said:

That worked well last time, Can;t understand the view that what is needed is another unelected, untried PM. don't know where we go, but an arrogant "we decide" is not good.
    Yeah, but there's the small matter of Brexit negotiations in 10 days. The Tories can't be seen to be tarting about when the most important issue of our generation needs addressing.

So, perhaps May will stay on, citing that reason.

But she shouldn't, as she asked the country to back her (*her*) and they didn't: she lost seats.

So, it will have to be another coronation.

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

Eh? Tories had NOC in 2010, and a working (if narrow) majority in 2015. Their 2010-5 majority was thanks to 50+ LibDems on the team
    So the governments majority decreased then?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Let Corbyn reign.

The people want change. That's obvious from Brexit and this election, even if the idiots screeching for change over the EU did not realise it.

Let him fuck up. The alternative is to let a wounded Conservative party fester on like a particularly odorous zombie.

Except the people didn't say they wanted Corbyn to reign. They said they wanted the Tories to be the largest party, with Labour large enough to mean a hung parliament.

So the people change, but not total change.
    It would be good if they had David Butler in the TV studio for old times sake.
    How many people on here were mocking g YouGov's High Peak prediction?
    RobD said:

Must be one of the safest seats in the realm now?
    @AndyJS is your man for facts like that. :wink:
  • Scotland had a very different election...

- turnout decreased a lot (71.1 to 66.4)
    - SNP lost a third of its 2015 votes (-477 000)
    - CON gained 75% more votes than in 2015
    - LAB almost stood still (+10 000) and LD actually lost votes (-20 000) but both gained seats...
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Let Corbyn reign.

Oh, and let the Brexiteers who are rucking off or have resources abroad - like MaxPB, Charles and sadly RCS - pay the consequences of their folly.

Excuse me, but that was rather uncalled for.
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Let Corbyn reign.

I don't see how: have the Tories abstain on a Corbyn Queen's Speech?
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Alistair said:
    Mystic Meg
    kle4 said:

Let Corbyn reign.

Except the people didn't say they wanted Corbyn to reign. They said they wanted the Tories to be the largest party, with Labour large enough to mean a hung parliament.

Add in the EU referendum, and it's change they want.

Only Corbyn's offering them that.

It's the Europhobe's who have done this.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    Poor May. Tragically misled.

I'd really like Davis but think the narrative is against a Brexiter - I feel he'll be the bridesmaid again.

• not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    What seems so bizarre about this result is that Labour didn't even appear to be trying to hold seats like Ilford. Yet they romped home
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967

Curtice is competent, hard working, properly prepared and has attention to detail.

Doesn't sound like a government minister to me.

Old times sake is a Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrribbbbbbble night for the Tories.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    I didn't expect Labour to win by such a margin in Bristol West, but felt Greens were shambolic, without any real idea of who or where there vote lay. Surprised Labour did so well given that none of the material I received mentioned Corbyn, and that there had been trouble between Momentum and Debonaire.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

kle4 said:

Let Corbyn reign.

Cameron called the referendum
    May called the election

nobody made them do it
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Scotland vote share:

SNP 37
    Con 29
    Lab 27
    LD 7

Independence looks finished.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

What seems so bizarre about this result is that Labour didn't even appear to be trying to hold seats like Ilford. Yet they romped home

Sunil will know more about the whole campaign but it was reported that David Miliband was on the ground in Ilford North yesterday.
    Charles said:

Let Corbyn reign.

Nah, not really. You're mostly insulated from the shit that's about to fall on us.

Witness the 200 million you were willing seen spent on the Garden Bridge to help the local poor urchins (ahem). You'll just piss off abroad; and even if you do not, you can afford the tax advisers to ensure you and your kids are sorted.

I cannot. I'll pay for your folly.
    SNP hold Fife North East by 2 mother fucking votes.
  • blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    The very first firm commitment announced by the Tories - a week or more before the manifesto was published - was to maintain the 0.7% of GDP spend on foreign aid. My heart sank.

Just how few voters who decide on the basis of that commitment did we attract? And just how many potential voters did we lose by not scrapping it and diverting the funding to the NHS?
    Zac by 45...
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

They ran a very good national campaign, but left individual seats to local parties. Con did the opposite, and we see whose campaign did best.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    Arise Sir John Curtice. It must happen.
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Zac wins by just 45 votes
    AndyJS said:

I had no idea they would do so well - though YG knew!

kle4 said:

Let Corbyn reign.

May called the election

nobody made them do it
    Oh, not this again. The rabid Europhobes in the party made Cameron and Osborne call the referendum. If they hadn't they'd have been out on their ears.

A terrible result.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    I really think May should shuffle off the stage. She went back on everything she’d said, particularly about the need for an election, and now everything’s backfired on her. Labour is rejuventated, and rejuventated under Corbyn, she’s managed somehow to make Northern Ireland even more polarised and she looks as though the only way a Government with some sort of majority can be formed is by a Tory-DUP ‘alliance”.
    If there’s a plus for her and the Tories it’s that there’s evidence that the Unionist card is worth playing in Scotland, although I don’t the impression that Scots Tories take the same view on Brexit as English and Welsh ones.
    As I said on the previous thread, although this is a clusterf*** of epic proportions, things to take away:

1. JC is not going to be prime minister. Yet, anyway.

2. The government CAN work. It will take a lot of bloody hard effort to make it work, but they can scrape together a majority with the DUP and will have to be more consensual.

3. They now need to be a managerial government acting in the national interest to get on with and deliver Brexit. That is now the prime purpose of the next government. No ridiculousness like social care bombshells or ridiculous new taxes, just no-nonsense, businesslike governing.

4. Such a government probably can't last a full term, and will probably lose to a labour landslide at the next election, but cest la vie. That is the hand that has been dealt.

Let's have Davis as PM, someone who is well respected across the divide appointed as Brexit secretary, perhaps even bring in Starmer in some kind of capacity. And let's just get on with governing. No gimmicks. 2-3 years. No more elections for the time being - the public have had enough of them. Just keep the country ticking over and get on with the big job at hand.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    MikeL said:

Scotland vote share:

SNP 37
    Con 29
    Lab 27
    LD 7

Independence looks finished.

Bold claim and I wouldn't bet on it right now but it's something that George Osborne might consider when not making quotes about the Tories abandoning metropolitan values. Perhaps the Union is saved after Cameron put it on life support.

I do worry about Northern Ireland however. Tories reliant on the DUP, handling Brexit with the concerns about a hard border in Ireland and virtually no other Irish voice in parliament.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It takes a heart of stone!

The tabloid attacks on Jezza all flopped.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Can't believe Zac squeaked through.
    The number of seats where either Labour or the Tories got over 60% is quite shocking really. Shows how divided the country is.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279

You have to make do with his Twitter a/c.https://twitter.com/SirDavidButler/status/872981170811744256
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Zac, ugh.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Let Corbyn reign.

Corbyn does not have a Parliamentary majority, even with a coalition.

So I do not see how he can govern even as a minority.

Still let's see where we are in a few hours.

It does feel awfully like a rerun of the 1970's to me. Pointless elections, hung Parliaments, hard Left on the up, a vulnerable economy - but this time with the added FUBAR of Brexit. It does not look good and I fear that those who will suffer most will be the young.
    Alistair said:

How many people on here were mocking g YouGov's High Peak prediction?

YG is the new Gold Standard :lol:

kle4 said:

Let Corbyn reign.

May called the election

nobody made them do it
    Oh, not this again. The rabid Europhobes in the party made Cameron and Osborne call the referendum. If they hadn't they'd have been out on their ears.
    It was maybe the BOOers who made them put it in the 2015 manifesto but it was the voters in that election that made it happen.
    Zak - what a farce - but every seat is vitally important so it's a serious farce.
    Con regain Richmond Park by 45 votes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000896

Goldsmith 28,588
    Olney 28,543
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Zac is back
    edited June 2017

It takes a heart of stone!

The tabloid attacks on Jezza all flopped.
    You would need a heart of stone not to laugh!!! Ha ha! They destroyed a fundamentally decent bloke over a butty. Reap what you sow...
    Cyclefree said:

Let Corbyn reign.

Corbyn does not have a Parliamentary majority, even with a coalition.

So I do not see how he can govern even as a minority.

Still let's see where we are in a few hours.

It does feel awfully like a rerun of the 1970's to me. Pointless elections, hung Parliaments, hard Left on the up, a vulnerable economy - but this time with the added FUBAR of Brexit. It does not look good and I fear that those who will suffer most will be the young.
    I have a near- three-year old. I vote on his benefit until he reaches eighteen. I, and my generation, have truly fucked up.
  • SCON now have more MPs than SLAB and SLD combined for the first time since 1931
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Given the position I suppose well have Zac back then.... time for bed and then hopefully collect on all those lovely scon wins!!! Thanks for the tips on those....
    MikeL said:

Zak - what a farce - but every seat is vitally important so it's a serious farce.

The Conservatives would be much better off without Zac.
    May won't be credible as PM.

The only question is whether the new Con leader goes for another GE or not.
    Labour hold Dudley North by 22.

It feels like there are many more hyper-marginals than usual, can anyone confirm or refute?
    Lab hold Dudley North by 22 votes.

Lots of wins by tiny margins - on both sides.

kle4 said:

Let Corbyn reign.

May called the election

nobody made them do it
    It was maybe the BOOers who made them put it in the 2015 manifesto but it was the voters in that election that made it happen.
    It's still not their fault. They were forced into this by the Europhobic loons.

And the most vocal people on here are mostly insulated from it, whilst I'm genuinely concerned for my son's future.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    The Leveson point in one of the replies is a good one.

Leveson2 is very much not dead.

That was a sh*tty attempted stitchup between May, Murdoch and Dacre.

The bored housewife vote.
  • PaulyPauly Posts: 897

MikeL said:

Utter nonsense. A great constituency MP, pro-brexit, green on the inside blue on the outside, very socially liberal. He's basically a eurosceptic Cameroon.
    Lab hold Dudley North by 22 votes.
    Zac back and crack on regardless....
    Your call.
    Federally United Conservative, Kippers Unionist Party.
    Christ I got some abuse when I first posted that acronym.
  • OUTOUT Posts: 569

It feels like there are many more hyper-marginals than usual, can anyone confirm or refute?

I think so.
    Con on 314.

Five seats to come - all Con defences

Four in Cornwall + Kensington.

Recounts at St Ives and Kensington.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Theresa May on the white cliffs -- whose was that erection? It wasn't on the front pages yesterday (or was it?).
    dr_spyn said:

You have to make do with his Twitter a/c.https://twitter.com/SirDavidButler/status/872981170811744256
    I follow it.
    Fox takeover of Sky probably off.
    Pauly said:

MikeL said:

Utter nonsense. A great constituency MP, pro-brexit, green on the inside blue on the outside, very socially liberal. He's basically a eurosceptic Cameroon.
    He called a totally unnecessary by-election. A but like Davis.
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Charles said:

Let Corbyn reign.

Nah, not really. You're mostly insulated from the shit that's about to fall on us.

Witness the 200 million you were willing seen spent on the Garden Bridge to help the local poor urchins (ahem). You'll just piss off abroad; and even if you do not, you can afford the tax advisers to ensure you and your kids are sorted.

JJ's putting it more strongly than I would, but the arrogant underestimate how much they are resented.
    OUT said:

I think so.
    On the other hand, seats like Ilford North are pretty safe Labour.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Let Corbyn reign.

No, I won't. And we don't tax plan: we have a moral obligation to pay what society asks and to tithe as well.

Get some sleep. This kind of personalised bitchiness is not doing you any favours
    These last five seats are vital - they will determine how long Con + DUP can last - if they want to try to last several years.
This discussion has been closed.