Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the new politics where the young ones actually turn

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Betfair has opened a market on another GE in 2017.

Not liquid yet but rated about 50/50.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124
    Alistair said:

Zac by 45...

Huge unassailable majority
    Almost a 'double Wishart' - substantial.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Theresa cannot possibly continue. She's a national laughing stock. She has zero credibility to negotiate with the EU. If she clings on she will damage the Tory brand further.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Mr. Quidder, perhaps.

Also, I'm glad I hedged the Richmond Park Lib Dems 26 tip from Mr. Putney, just wish I'd done the same when Cons had lay 1.7 for 350-399 seats.

Alas. I did lay them for an overall majority, which halved my Con seat numbers loss.

Mr. Charles, and Mr. Jessop, come on, chaps. This is meant to be a happy website. Let's not argue about who killed who.

Sorry, when someone's found at the crime scene, holding a bloody knife behind his back, whistling whilst displaying a 'get out of jail free' card, I think people have a right to comment on who might have aided the crime.

You and I are going to suffer the consequences of this much more than Charles is.

I genuinely fear for my son's future. This isn't about me, or Mrs J: it's about a three year old.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    MikeL said:

alex. said:

Nigelb said:

BBC- TMay has no intention of resigning.

Oh god, she's going the full Gordon Brown,

The men in grey suits will have called by the end of the day and prized her out by her fingernails.
    I doubt that.
    Of course she has to go - but equally announcing a resignation this morning would be ridiculous. A government of some sort has to be formed, and that wouldn't be possible without a Conservative leader.
    I do not like her at all, but one thing May unquestionable has is a sense of duty. She'll hang on until this dust settles.

And if she doesn't then go, she'll be ushered out very quickly.
    Why is there any "urgency" to usher her out. The Conservatives have the numbers to pass a Queens speech. There is a five year parliament ahead. They can have a leadership contest in 2 years if they want. They've got boundary changes to come, and who knows if Corbyn will manage to blow up the Labour party again in the mean time.
    Forget the boundary changes.

They are bad for the DUP - no chance they'll pass.
    Yes. Suggest they'll be utterly re-visited. Back to 650 on the old rules on a new register.
  • Options
    May:

Hahahahahahahahahahahh
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2017

Brom said:

Kuenessburg saying that May isn't going to resign.

May is taking the absolute p*ss here. She has no business continuing as PM after leading her party and country to this disaster.

I'm sure she will, she should wait for all the results though.

Safe to say I didn't call those extra Labour votes last night! At least the Tory vote was where I expected. Quite an irony if the youth surge leads to Boris as PM, they would hate that.
    My generation would dislike any Conservative leader.
    Out of interest how old are you?
    Early twenties.
    Thanks, and may I ask why you would dislike any conservative leader?

I'm not keen on May and disliked Cameron immensely but quite liked Major.
    I think something has been lost in translation there:)

*I* personally would not automatically dislike any Conservative leader. But my generation generally would - so I was just speaking to the general opinion of young people as opposed to my own specific views. I'm not a Corbynista, so my politics is a bit different to other young people.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited June 2017
    The rush to get out the first "behind the scenes in the 2017 Tory campaign" book is going to be huge!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Time to get the knives out. Sorry Theresa. You're done.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Let Corbyn reign.

The people want change. That's obvious from Brexit and this election, even if the idiots screeching for change over the EU did not realise it.

Let him fuck up. The alternative is to let a wounded Conservative party fester on like a particularly odorous zombie.

Oh, and let the Brexiteers who are rucking off or have resources abroad - like MaxPB, Charles and sadly RCS - pay the consequences of their folly.

So many people need to look up the definition of 'conservative'.

Excuse me, but that was rather uncalled for.
    Nah, not really. You're mostly insulated from the shit that's about to fall on us.

Witness the 200 million you were willing seen spent on the Garden Bridge to help the local poor urchins (ahem). You'll just piss off abroad; and even if you do not, you can afford the tax advisers to ensure you and your kids are sorted.

I cannot. I'll pay for your folly.
    No, I won't. And we don't tax plan: we have a moral obligation to pay what society asks and to tithe as well.

Get some sleep. This kind of personalised bitchiness is not doing you any favours
    Are you denying what I'm saying? Will you suffer in reality if it all goes tits-up?

I.e. will you have to start looking at the prices on the bread?

No. You are insulated, whatever 'society asks' .
    Well I have a job with a salary that pays my mortgage. If I lose that then I could lose my house. And wouldn't be able to educate my daughter in the way we want. I reckon that counts as "suffering".

And I already look at the pride of bread.

Now just fuck off, ok?
    'Lose my house'

Which house is that?

'educate my daughter in the way we want.'

I daresay many people would want to educate her in that manner. Would you want to move to Wandsworth and send her to the local school?

You fuck off. You are privileged, and have lived a life of privilege. good on you. I actually quite like you, but your patrician bullshit grows weary. Try living a real life.
    I haven't made any particular comments today except to point out you are being an arse. Goodbye.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123

Mr. Quidder, perhaps.

Also, I'm glad I hedged the Richmond Park Lib Dems 26 tip from Mr. Putney, just wish I'd done the same when Cons had lay 1.7 for 350-399 seats.

Alas. I did lay them for an overall majority, which halved my Con seat numbers loss.

Mr. Charles, and Mr. Jessop, come on, chaps. This is meant to be a happy website. Let's not argue about who killed who.

Sorry, when someone's found at the crime scene, holding a bloody knife behind his back, whistling whilst displaying a 'get out of jail free' card, I think people have a right to comment on who might have aided the crime.

You and I are going to suffer the consequences of this much more than Charles is.

I genuinely fear for my son's future. This isn't about me, or Mrs J: it's about a three year old.
    Get a grip.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479
    edited June 2017
    Crikey, it wasn't a dream, Theresa May is a pound shop Gordon Brown cum Andrew Bonar Law, and SCon surge is real.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195

The rush to get out the first "behind the scenes in the 2017 Tory campaign" book is going to be huge!

I want to hear more about THAT trip to Slough :D
  • Options
    On the plus side, lovely to see the SNP getting hit all over the park....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    The public have decided No Majority is better than a Bad Majority.

My take on the election.
  • Options

I suggest you butt out. She asked for this, and the lemmings in the Conservative party went running over the edge of the precipice at her behest. It all looked so different a few weeks ago, didn't it?

Chill. Or you're going to get no enjoyment out of today.
    I'm getting lots of enjoyment. I'm on a bus-ride over the cliff caused by the Conservative brexiteers.

Or so-called 'conservatives'.

I cannot reach the controls, so I'm along for the ride.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Are you enjoying it as much? ;)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

So with Philip Davies suffering such a disaster do you think we'll see less self satisfied smug twat Conservatives talking out private member bills?

He won.

Sad Panda
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Good morning all....or rather not so good.

May has to go, maybe not right away, but she needs to start the next leadership contest asap. Its as simple.

Get a new confident leader and get some actual attractive policies. Ditch Grammar school f-ing about, never mention fox hunting, and FFS sort out a proper programme for public services.

Corbyn might be utterly dangerous, but at least he was promising to make things better than they are. If the Tories can't do that, they deserve to lose.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Hope May drives a Golf.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    321.5 is the bar, confidence from the DUP needed...
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    Brom said:

Alistair said:

So with Philip Davies suffering such a disaster do you think we'll see less self satisfied smug twat Conservatives talking out private member bills?

Oops
    There was a lot of Labour rumours in West Yorkshire that didn't come to pass. Ditto Pudsey and Elmet.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    alex. said:

Just takes 5 Con MPs to refuse to back her QS and she's done.

No Conservative MP is seriously going to risk putting Corbyn in power, even the chance to put forward a QS and run for a new election
    We age going to be back to bringing in Mp's from hospital to vote. No way will Corbyn pair off
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Let Corbyn reign.

The people want change. That's obvious from Brexit and this election, even if the idiots screeching for change over the EU did not realise it.

Let him fuck up. The alternative is to let a wounded Conservative party fester on like a particularly odorous zombie.

Oh, and let the Brexiteers who are rucking off or have resources abroad - like MaxPB, Charles and sadly RCS - pay the consequences of their folly.

So many people need to look up the definition of 'conservative'.

Excuse me, but that was rather uncalled for.
    Nah, not really. You're mostly insulated from the shit that's about to fall on us.

Witness the 200 million you were willing seen spent on the Garden Bridge to help the local poor urchins (ahem). You'll just piss off abroad; and even if you do not, you can afford the tax advisers to ensure you and your kids are sorted.

I cannot. I'll pay for your folly.
    No, I won't. And we don't tax plan: we have a moral obligation to pay what society asks and to tithe as well.

Get some sleep. This kind of personalised bitchiness is not doing you any favours
    Are you denying what I'm saying? Will you suffer in reality if it all goes tits-up?

I.e. will you have to start looking at the prices on the bread?

No. You are insulated, whatever 'society asks' .
    Well I have a job with a salary that pays my mortgage. If I lose that then I could lose my house. And wouldn't be able to educate my daughter in the way we want. I reckon that counts as "suffering".

And I already look at the pride of bread.

Now just fuck off, ok?
    'Lose my house'

Which house is that?

'educate my daughter in the way we want.'

I daresay many people would want to educate her in that manner. Would you want to move to Wandsworth and send her to the local school?

You fuck off. You are privileged, and have lived a life of privilege. good on you. I actually quite like you, but your patrician bullshit grows weary. Try living a real life.
    I haven't made any particular comments today except to point out you are being an arse. Goodbye.
    An arse is someone who wants to spend £200 million on a bridge to help the local poor kids.

Are you denying you're insulated from the consequences of Brexit?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    edited June 2017
    alex. said:

If Conservatives are going to replace May they need a proper leadership election to do it. Not a stitch up to rush in a new PM. As I say the Government is not under threat. Have a leadership election in a couple of years once we see how Brexit negotiations are working out.

Yes the Tories have not had a great night outside Scotland but still have a majority with the DUP. Let May stay as caretaker leader for now and see what the weekend polls say about Boris, Davidson etc who would be the main contenders to succeed as leader, though Davidson may do best to stay in Scotland where she has led the resurgence against the SNP.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Jonathan said:

Hope May drives a Golf.

Diesel.
  • Options

Mr. Quidder, perhaps.

Get a grip.
    got one, thanks. Have you?
  • Options
    "Mrs May, what is the naughtiest thing you have ever done?"

"Running through a wheat field, whilst firing at my team of advisors with an AK47....."
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Any chance of the Tories trying to forge a consensus with other parties on Brexit negotiations?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. 43, that's rather witty.

Mr. Jessop, the result makes ODFTEINO* more likely, I'd've said.

*Our Departure From The EU In Name Only [I do loathe the portmanteau adopted for us leaving the EU].
  • Options

"Mrs May, what is the naughtiest thing you have ever done?"

"Running through a wheat field, whilst firing at my team of advisors with an AK47....."

Honestly, May seems blinkered enough to believe that it's the voters rather than her and her shitty advisors that are wrong.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Brom said:

May is taking the absolute p*ss here. She has no business continuing as PM after leading her party and country to this disaster.

Safe to say I didn't call those extra Labour votes last night! At least the Tory vote was where I expected. Quite an irony if the youth surge leads to Boris as PM, they would hate that.
    Boris and Davidson would both do quite well with the youth vote I think relative to the Tory Party's normal support with the young, young people are always asking Boris for selfies and Boris twice won London which has a younger than average population
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    I actually think the outcome of this election could be actually a good thing effectively the majority is roughly the same including the DUP and because of the gains the Tories have made in Scotland effectively they now have representation in all four quarters of the UK going into the Brexit negotiations no longer can the snp in Scotland say that Scottish interest to not being represented in the Brexit talks as the Tories now hold 13 seats in Scotland and the DUP hold 10 seats in Northern Ireland. in a certain way she has actually strengthened her hand going into the Brexit negotiations despite the immediate political reaction she now has a "union" majority
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

Brom said:

Out of interest how old are you?
    Early twenties.
    Thanks, and may I ask why you would dislike any conservative leader?

I'm not keen on May and disliked Cameron immensely but quite liked Major.
    I think something has been lost in translation there:)

*I* personally would not automatically dislike any Conservative leader. But my generation generally would - so I was just speaking to the general opinion of young people as opposed to my own specific views. I'm not a Corbynista, so my politics is a bit different to other young people.
    OK sorry for the misunderstanding, fwiw I agree with you I was just keen to hear your view.
  • Options

I suggest you butt out. She asked for this, and the lemmings in the Conservative party went running over the edge of the precipice at her behest. It all looked so different a few weeks ago, didn't it?

I'm getting lots of enjoyment. I'm on a bus-ride over the cliff caused by the Conservative brexiteers.

Hahahahahahahaha.

We had a great result in Torbay.....
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Not wanting to burst any bubbles but the labour party have lost the election no matter how they spin it, the Tories will go ahead with positive or neutral support from the DUP. IN normal times that possibly could run for 4/5 years giving the political map time to change, settle down whatever. I can't predict though how the Tories will survive the two key problems of brexit where there are enough"nutters" on either side of the argument to derail plans and NI facing chaos with no devolved assembly and the boarder key to brexit.. Does the election overrule the referendum, remind me of labours position anyone? So it may well be a short lived government with the actual deal being the key issue. Mind you we could have a referendum on the deal....no ill get my coat I think
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Any chance of the Tories trying to forge a consensus with other parties on Brexit negotiations?

Way to early to think about it, but it's an option.
  • Options
    ‪I'd hate to be Graham Brady's postman. Hernia incoming if Mrs May hasn't quit by this evening. ‬
  • Options

Crikey, it wasn't a dream, Theresa May is a pound shop Gordon Brown cum Andrew Bonar Law, and SCon surge is real.

Do bear in mind Andrew Bonar Law was diagnosed with terminal throat cancer, hence his short occupation of 10 Downing Street.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    BBC suggesting Arlene Foster might expect a leadership change in exchange for support.

It begins...
  • Options

May has to go, maybe not right away, but she needs to start the next leadership contest asap. Its as simple.

Get a new confident leader and get some actual attractive policies. Ditch Grammar school f-ing about, never mention fox hunting, and FFS sort out a proper programme for public services.

Corbyn might be utterly dangerous, but at least he was promising to make things better than they are. If the Tories can't do that, they deserve to lose.

Grammars was not a problem, a plurality support a few more, what was a problem was endless austerity, that needs to be eased off and taxes cut for average earners
  • Options

BBC suggesting Arlene Foster might expect a leadership change in exchange for support.

It begins...

Nobody wants to be associated with Theresa. She's not a winner.
  • Options

Hahahahahahahaha.

Good on you. I quite admire the way Corbyn's destroyed all his rivals, but I'd prefer even a half-sane Conservative government over one ruled by him.

So thanks for all your work. But it is a shame that May's let us all down.
  • Options
    I've always said the great British public make the right choice at General Elections - can't say that this morning. Close to the worst possible outcome.

Oh well, some modest winnings including some gimmes on the constituency markets in the minute after the exit poll.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308

Government of national unity to get us through Brexit?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    HYUFD said:

Brom said:

Boris and Davidson would both do quite well with the youth vote I think relative to the Tory Party's normal support with the young, young people are always asking Boris for selfies and Boris twice won London which has a younger than average population
    The Conservatives have a serious brand issue with young people, though I agree that there is more of a chance of Davidson being liked.

Boris used to be liked by at least *some* of my generation. Until EUref. Until he backed Leave. Until Brexit....

Now he's very unpopular.
  • Options

Depends who the Tory leader is.

I think based on a rough guess a majority of Tory MPs would support single market/customs union membership.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    nichomar said:

Not wanting to burst any bubbles but the labour party have lost the election no matter how they spin it, the Tories will go ahead with positive or neutral support from the DUP. IN normal times that possibly could run for 4/5 years giving the political map time to change, settle down whatever. I can't predict though how the Tories will survive the two key problems of brexit where there are enough"nutters" on either side of the argument to derail plans and NI facing chaos with no devolved assembly and the boarder key to brexit.. Does the election overrule the referendum, remind me of labours position anyone? So it may well be a short lived government with the actual deal being the key issue. Mind you we could have a referendum on the deal....no ill get my coat I think

I wonder if they now regret DC's "English votes for English laws"?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Good Morning Comrade PBers ....

Having a wonderful breakfast. I'm presently enjoying a gigantic slice of humble pie, having managed to lick off the copious amount of egg on my face first. Who also knew castor oil was such a dream drink this time of the day.

I hear too that JohnO is presently enjoying a similar petit dejeuner in the first class restaurant car of the train from Hersham to Islington, via Caithness, where he intends to offer himself as a Labour peer on the red benches.
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207
    Do we actually KNOW whether the young turned out yet?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Theresa cannot possibly continue. She's a national laughing stock. She has zero credibility to negotiate with the EU. If she clings on she will damage the Tory brand further.

Not sure - could plausibly argue that she needs a good deal otherwise she loses her position and we crash out without a deal. May make that threat more plausible than if she had a big majority
  • Options

Mr. 43, that's rather witty.

Mr. Jessop, the result makes ODFTEINO* more likely, I'd've said.

*Our Departure From The EU In Name Only [I do loathe the portmanteau adopted for us leaving the EU].

Sadly, I doubt ODFTEINO is not on the table. It's unsaleable to the Europhobic loons, even if the EU deigned to offer us it.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Are the DUP libertarians when it comes to economic matters? Obviously not sexual matters.
  • Options
    Can the Tories really work with the DUP? Concerning.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

The fox hunting vote and grammar schools were the most bizarre things to lead an election on.

Anna Soubry rightly pointed out just how poor tory messaging was i.e. why didn't they lead with "poor children will now get 2 free meals a day..." rathet than "kids will lose their free school meals"

Awful. Awful.awful.
  • Options

Are the DUP libertarians when it comes to economic matters? Obviously not sexual matters.

Oops, forgot about Iris, little GILF that she was.
  • Options

It begins...

Somewhat cheeky given the situation at Stormont hinges on her leadership.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Not sure - could plausibly argue that she needs a good deal otherwise she loses her position and we crash out without a deal. May make that threat more plausible than if she had a big majority
    Perhaps an immediate hard brexit (crashing out without a deal) is better than the prolonged suffering of years of negotiation led by idiots such as May, Davis and Fox?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Same time, same place in say 3 months for another shit show?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    HYUFD said:

Grammars was not a problem, a plurality support a few more, what was a problem was endless austerity, that needs to be eased off and taxes cut for average earners
    ditch all talk of the social care stuff.. royal all party commission.. reinstate winter fuel allowance..
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

She lacks the sel f awareness of Cameron, he knew his limits and worked accordingly.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

They'll have to forge a consensus with their own party first. How can May get a majority for a supposed Brexit deal when she needs to keep Hollobone and Cash, and Soubry and Clarke, all on side?

Maybe the Lib Dems will get their second referendum after all.
  • Options

I think Mrs J would divorce me. ;)
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Does the result mean we are forced to see and hear more of the odious Farage again?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463

It begins...

Somewhat cheeky given the situation at Stormont hinges on her leadership.
    We will see a lot of cheek in the coming months. They have the Tories over a barrel.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

HYUFD said:

ditch all talk of the social care stuff.. royal all party commission.. reinstate winter fuel allowance..
    Hope there's no recession and the deficit doesn't explode....
  • Options

I think based on a rough guess a majority of Tory MPs would support single market/customs union membership.
    So betrayal rather than Brexit.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    I'm really pissed off at the stupid tory party since 2014.

It's been one f*ckup after another, all to appease the nutjobs on their right.

They've dragged the country into the gutter.

grrr.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    I wish Farage would stop saying people voted for his kind of Brexit. How can he say? Surely Forner UKIp voters would not have split the way they did in this election.
  • Options

Hahahahahahahaha.

Good on you. I quite admire the way Corbyn's destroyed all his rivals, but I'd prefer even a half-sane Conservative government over one ruled by him.

If only she had been advised by at least one person who was prepared to look at the election plans and the Manifesto and ask

"Now why the FUCK would you want to do that?"

I think Kevin Foster would have been happy to second me to the top team, just to ask that... All that wanking about in Bolsover when they suffered bonkers losses by less than 100 votes. Hubris. Pure and simple.
  • Options

No. No more elections. We can't risk one with Corbyn as opposition leader. We've been dealt a poor hand but we've got to play it now. If we go back to the public in less than two years we'll get absolutely smashed.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

Worst bets: All the Tory overs & the ~ £700 I had on Vale of Clwyd and Gower to win ~ £150

Best bet: Ynys Mons ~ £70 @ 12-1

My constituency bets overall are OK. Tories gained Mansfield and Walsall N. and retained Brecon as I thought but didn't gain Edgbaston, Hartlepool, Northfield, Wrexham or C&W. Nearly all my Labour, LibDem and SNP bets won, e.g. SNP retained Skye, LDs gained Edinburgh W.

The Tory majority odds @ 1.2-1.25 were no more 'value' than similar odds on Clinton. Better another time to split it between ten 'value' constituencies @ ~1.2.

I think it's back to mostly constituency betting only for me. On balance, it does better. I now think we'll have another GE soon!
  • Options

Economic reality.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Having a wonderful breakfast. I'm presently enjoying a gigantic slice of humble pie, having managed to lick off the copious amount of egg on my face first. Who also knew castor oil was such a dream drink this time of the day.

I hear too that JohnO is presently enjoying a similar petit dejeuner in the first class restaurant car of the train from Hersham to Islington, via Caithness, where he intends to offer himself as a Labour peer on the red benches.

Humble pie, publicly and gracefully consumed, can be part of the nicest meal. Consuming it can be the mark of a true gentleman.
  • Options
    chloe said:

Government of national unity to get us through Brexit?
    Not thinking of that. Too many other fundamental differences. But clearly the Conservatives don't have the authority to keep this negotiation just to themselves.
  • Options
    bardigianibardigiani Posts: 19
    Is there an implementation date for the new constituency boundaries?
  • Options
    Con hold St Austell & Newquay.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No. No more elections. We can't risk one with Corbyn as opposition leader. We've been dealt a poor hand but we've got to play it now. If we go back to the public in less than two years we'll get absolutely smashed.
    Looking forward to it already. And less face it the Tories thoroughly deserve it.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    The Moody Blues to Mrs W and W

We've already said "Goodbye"
    Since you gotta go , oh you'd better go
    Go now , go now go now
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Things to be grateful for in this GE.

1. Moving from a small majority to a minority gov means little change in the difficulties of getting legislation through (it will still be awkward).

2. Maybe the only significant event will be dealing with Brexit, and other legislation will be slow, which might not be a bad thing.

3. Another Tory leader will be lined up, as TMay will not be allowed to contest another one. Perhaps one who is prepared to take the fight to Labour.

4. Corbyn was handed a level-playing field by TMay. She undermined her own manifesto and ceded the field to his policies. The terrorist attack nullified Corbyn's past and allowed him to make it about Police cuts. He had policies that were designed for mass appeal, and no-one really challenged the economics of Labour, as no-one thought he had a chance. The smaller parties were squeezed and overall this benefited Corbyn. He started out as the underdog, but ended up with all the momentum and it turned out to be a great chance for him. Despite all this, he still lost the election. The election was polarised and hard left policies failed here.

5. The Tories will learn from this and attack on the economics of Labour's policies in future (I hope).

• Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Well done to him, he put on 16%.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I think we'll find a surprisingly large number of Yessers voted Labour.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

They'll have to forge a consensus with their own party first. How can May get a majority for a supposed Brexit deal when she needs to keep Hollobone and Cash, and Soubry and Clarke, all on side?

You better get your coat and join me in the wilderness
  • Options

Hahahahahahahaha.

If only she had been advised by at least one person who was prepared to look at the election plans and the Manifesto and ask

"Now why the FUCK would you want to do that?"

I think Kevin Foster would have been happy to second me to the top team, just to ask that... All that wanking about in Bolsover when they suffered bonkers losses by less than 100 votes. Hubris. Pure and simple.
    It'll be very interesting to know how much visibility the high-uppers in the party got to see of the plan before she called the election.

If Corbyn's manifesto was written by the unions, then May's was written by the village fool.
  • Options

Can't be long before the more tinfoil-sporting of the Kippers claim that Remain-voting Theresa May threw her own election as the last gasp of the Establishment to prevent us leaving the EU... "I mean, NOBODY runs an election that badly without an ulterior motive. About the only retoxifying Manifesto pledge they missed was gassing all badgers...."
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124
    kjohnw said:

I actually think the outcome of this election could be actually a good thing effectively the majority is roughly the same including the DUP and because of the gains the Tories have made in Scotland effectively they now have representation in all four quarters of the UK going into the Brexit negotiations no longer can the snp in Scotland say that Scottish interest to not being represented in the Brexit talks as the Tories now hold 13 seats in Scotland and the DUP hold 10 seats in Northern Ireland. in a certain way she has actually strengthened her hand going into the Brexit negotiations despite the immediate political reaction she now has a "union" majority

'good for Brexit/Tories/May'
  • Options
    Pong said:

grrr.

That's about the sum of it.
  • Options

Economic reality.
    Tell that to those people in the English rust belt who voted for her.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Eagles, if we're in the customs union/single market, is there a point to leaving?
  • Options

JackW said:

Humble pie, publicly and gracefully consumed, can be part of the nicest meal. Consuming it can be the mark of a true gentleman.
    He is a true gentleman, the wittiest poster on here.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Pong said:

grrr.

positive thing to come out of this is that the Conservatives are going into the Brexit negotiations with representation from Scotland and Northern Ireland and Wales no longer can this be called an English negotiation with the DUP support and 13 Scottish MPs plus Welsh it will truly be a government of the UK going into Brexit hopefully a good deal can be reached now . I actually think Theresa May should weather the storm over time if the negotiations are successful she can rebuild her reputation with the British people are maybe step down before 2022
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    Jonathan said:

Can the Tories really work with the DUP? Concerning.

Sinn Fein worked with them....
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

Is there an implementation date for the new constituency boundaries?

Boundary Commissions must report in Sept 2018.

Reports must then be laid before Parliament - and they are certain to be voted against as DUP will say no.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, if we're in the customs union/single market, is there a point to leaving?

No.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    Alistair said:

Thanks to who ever tipped Lab in Wirral West at Labour's polling nadir.

+1
  • Options
    My goodness the shit AI got yesterday for daring to say that Corbyn had run a good campaign.
  • Options

If the Tory PM can come up with something that the Lib Dems, and the majority of Labour MPs, can support, and also provides a face-saving way for the SNP to drop their demand for indyref2, then they would have enough support to be able to ignore the Tory right-wing. At least temporarily.
This discussion has been closed.