Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the new politics where the young ones actually turn

Comments

• Options
    Finnish PM saying Brexit negotiations need to slow down, apparently.

First Head of State to say so.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    DUP are not Tories, as George Osborne pointed out on ITV last night.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472

Mr. Eagles, if we're in the customs union/single market, is there a point to leaving?

Not really. Parliament is sovereign so they can do as they wish.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Mr. Eagles, if we're in the customs union/single market, is there a point to leaving?

Yes. Absolutely​ there is. Brexit will be a 5-10 year journey. Moving out one step at a time makes a lot more sense than trying to take a massive leap into the dark.

In personal terms this is close to the most favourable result I could hope for, Theresa May is probably done for, the DUP will force soft Brexit of some kind, we'll get a new leader, Corbyn stays at Labour despite being a serial bungler who had a decent campaign vs our worst ever leader since the war.

There are a lot of positives for the liberal wing of the Tory party to take from last night, but the next leader has a huge task on his or her hands and they will need the support of all the party. I think high profile tombstoners losing last night might help too.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    dixiedean said:

MikeL said:

alex. said:

Nigelb said:

BBC- TMay has no intention of resigning.

Oh god, she's going the full Gordon Brown,

The men in grey suits will have called by the end of the day and prized her out by her fingernails.
    I doubt that.
    Of course she has to go - but equally announcing a resignation this morning would be ridiculous. A government of some sort has to be formed, and that wouldn't be possible without a Conservative leader.
    I do not like her at all, but one thing May unquestionable has is a sense of duty. She'll hang on until this dust settles.

And if she doesn't then go, she'll be ushered out very quickly.
    Why is there any "urgency" to usher her out. The Conservatives have the numbers to pass a Queens speech. There is a five year parliament ahead. They can have a leadership contest in 2 years if they want. They've got boundary changes to come, and who knows if Corbyn will manage to blow up the Labour party again in the mean time.
    Forget the boundary changes.

They are bad for the DUP - no chance they'll pass.
    Yes. Suggest they'll be utterly re-visited. Back to 650 on the old rules on a new register.
    Elections are spaced to closely together to allow time to get a review done!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,241
    Morning all. After a little sleep, and a weep as we took Stockton South, I've awoken grey skies here in Crieff to a swim, a 4,000 calorie Scottish breakfast, and a sense that the world has shifted again.

1. Hard brexit is dead. That the Tory rump government doesn't have the authority to negotiate a glass of water is a problem, doubled by the DUP insisting that the CTA and Irish Border issues are front and centre. And an open intra-Irish border means at the very least the customs union, if not the single market. So the no deal is a good deal nightmare is over

2. The Overton window is significantly further left than it has been and will continue to move there. The Tories will have to broaden their appeal away from the selfish and sociopathic, and that will mean an end to their inhuman (and un-Conservative) degrading treatment of the poor and disabled.

3. Bopolar Politics is back. Its a Labour government or a Tory government. Why bother with the fringe parties like Plaid or the LibDems.

4. The Union is safe. Not just the death of IndyRef2, the death of any breakup thanks to hard brexit. Now that its safe again can we reexamine how it works so that we don't almost lose it? SOme kind of federal or confederal structure surely

5. Loony Corbynism is here to stay. The same policy platform as the Conservative German government isn't loony anyway, and people would rather vote for hope than despair and fear

6. May isn't here to stay. Boris or Davis, take your pick. My money would be on Boris. If I bet on politics. Which I don't...
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    matt said:

Does the result mean we are forced to see and hear more of the odious Farage again?

He thinks so, but UKIP polled only 70k above the Greens, don't have an MP, and the Lib Dems have recovered slightly.

Should mean many fewer invites to Question Time for UKIP, and instead Jo Swinson, Ed Davey, etc, will be invited instead.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Indeed. The DUP has an MP who has said gay people are 'poofs' and 'perverts'
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Laura K - Con MPs won't want another GE.

Self interest always comes first!!!

Thus stick with May - ay least for now Can always change leader in a few months or whenever.
  • Options
    Can't sleep. Feels so much worse personally than 1997 or 2001 because I was much more personally invested. NI electorate has effectively decided that to snarl at each other beats all that namby pamby discussion stuff. And Theresa May is a dead duck. She needs to announce her intention to step down after a new leader can be appointed.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

hey the LDs have a leader like that
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I think we'll find a surprisingly large number of Yessers voted Labour.
    Yes -- ironically, the media makes the same mistake as the SNP -- interpreting every election as a referendum on independence.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Tories need to intervene here. They cannot let May stay on.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Just on my own results: lots of very close stuff.

If Westmorland and Richmond Park had had opposite results, I'd've made about three times as much profit. If the Lib Dems had won one fewer seat, I'd be flat rather than very slightly green.

Given all my Conservative bets (excepting an in-play panicky lay of a Con majority at 1.66) on seats numbers etc turned out bad, glad to get away with being green at all.

F1: practice today starts at 3pm and 7pm.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    This all tracks back to the financial crisis. The bankers didn't pay, the wealthy didn't pay, the rest were left with 8 years of stagnant or falling income. Wealth passed from public to private hands. It has created an anger and resentment which gave us Brexit and now has comprehensively rejected austerity. Until someone gets it, and talks that language with proper proposals for redistribution and wealth tax we will spiral madly.
    If it has to be hard left investment via borrowing and public programmes of work them so be it. National pride in public works and infrastructure. Soak the rich. Do it. Now.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

JackW said:

Good Morning Comrade PBers ....

Having a wonderful breakfast. I'm presently enjoying a gigantic slice of humble pie, having managed to lick off the copious amount of egg on my face first. Who also knew castor oil was such a dream drink this time of the day.

I hear too that JohnO is presently enjoying a similar petit dejeuner in the first class restaurant car of the train from Hersham to Islington, via Caithness, where he intends to offer himself as a Labour peer on the red benches.

Humble pie, publicly and gracefully consumed, can be part of the nicest meal. Consuming it can be the mark of a true gentleman.
    He is a true gentleman, the wittiest poster on here.
    I doubt you'll get many posters or readers disagreeing with you.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    MikeL said:

Thus stick with May - ay least for now Can always change leader in a few months or whenever.

Tbh, Mays credibility totally shot.
  • Options

This all tracks back to the financial crisis. The bankers didn't pay, the wealthy didn't pay, the rest were left with 8 years of stagnant or falling income. Wealth passed from public to private hands. It has created an anger and resentment which gave us Brexit and now has comprehensively rejected austerity. Until someone gets it, and talks that language with proper proposals for redistribution and wealth tax we will spiral madly.
    If it has to be hard left investment via borrowing and public programmes of work them so be it. National pride in public works and infrastructure. Soak the rich. Do it. Now.

Yes, there's definitely an after-effect of the crash here, as there originally was with Brexit, last year.

The new mood is being aimed, scattershot, in different directions - and now it's being aimed behind remain , packed in with the Left vote.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MikeL said:

Is there an implementation date for the new constituency boundaries?

Boundary Commissions must report in Sept 2018.

Reports must then be laid before Parliament - and they are certain to be voted against as DUP will say no.
    NI special case. Split the vote on that from the mainland and devolve it to Stormont
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Any chance of the Tories trying to forge a consensus with other parties on Brexit negotiations?

They'll have to forge a consensus with their own party first. How can May get a majority for a supposed Brexit deal when she needs to keep Hollobone and Cash, and Soubry and Clarke, all on side?

Maybe the Lib Dems will get their second referendum after all.
    If the Tory PM can come up with something that the Lib Dems, and the majority of Labour MPs, can support, and also provides a face-saving way for the SNP to drop their demand for indyref2, then they would have enough support to be able to ignore the Tory right-wing. At least temporarily.
    Yes, you're right.

And that something is EEA membership. Surely has to be back on the table after this.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, I'm not talking about temporarily staying in the single market/customs union as part of a phase withdrawal, I'm talking about leaving the EU and permanently being in the single market/customs union.

I have no problem with a long, phased withdrawal.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Morning all. After a little sleep, and a weep as we took Stockton South, I've awoken grey skies here in Crieff to a swim, a 4,000 calorie Scottish breakfast, and a sense that the world has shifted again.

1. Hard brexit is dead. That the Tory rump government doesn't have the authority to negotiate a glass of water is a problem, doubled by the DUP insisting that the CTA and Irish Border issues are front and centre. And an open intra-Irish border means at the very least the customs union, if not the single market. So the no deal is a good deal nightmare is over

2. The Overton window is significantly further left than it has been and will continue to move there. The Tories will have to broaden their appeal away from the selfish and sociopathic, and that will mean an end to their inhuman (and un-Conservative) degrading treatment of the poor and disabled.

3. Bopolar Politics is back. Its a Labour government or a Tory government. Why bother with the fringe parties like Plaid or the LibDems.

4. The Union is safe. Not just the death of IndyRef2, the death of any breakup thanks to hard brexit. Now that its safe again can we reexamine how it works so that we don't almost lose it? SOme kind of federal or confederal structure surely

5. Loony Corbynism is here to stay. The same policy platform as the Conservative German government isn't loony anyway, and people would rather vote for hope than despair and fear

6. May isn't here to stay. Boris or Davis, take your pick. My money would be on Boris. If I bet on politics. Which I don't...

Agree with these points. Positive for me is that indyref2 now dead as an issue, and that the union perseveres.
  • Options
    There's a real danger Labour's new voters don't realise they haven't actually won. The other danger is May not realising she's got no way back. She will go down in history as the PM who ended her own career totally unnecessarily and so suddenly. If history even remembers her
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091

Indeed.

And its still continuing - see BHS.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Hopefully after this result the Tories will stop ignoring the 48% who voted Remain and the entire population who are aged under 35
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

JackW said:

Good Morning Comrade PBers ....

Having a wonderful breakfast. I'm presently enjoying a gigantic slice of humble pie, having managed to lick off the copious amount of egg on my face first. Who also knew castor oil was such a dream drink this time of the day.

I hear too that JohnO is presently enjoying a similar petit dejeuner in the first class restaurant car of the train from Hersham to Islington, via Caithness, where he intends to offer himself as a Labour peer on the red benches.

Humble pie, publicly and gracefully consumed, can be part of the nicest meal. Consuming it can be the mark of a true gentleman.
    He is a true gentleman, the wittiest poster on here.
    I doubt you'll get many posters or readers disagreeing with you.
    That would be a first. :smile:
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

We leave the Fisheries and Agricultural Policies, but we no longer get a vote on the single market rules. There are advantages to the Norway option, as well as disadvantages.
  • Options

I'd imagine we shall have a Conservative minority government with no supply and confidence agreement with the DUP, just an informal agreement about what is left out of the Queen's speech and maybe a committee on the border.
  • Options
    McDonnell on BBC now.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

MikeL said:

Agreed. She called an election to get a larger majority to deal with Brexit, and didn't get it.

• Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Theresa hanging around would lead to her ratings plummeting into Francois Hollande territory.

She could also take the Tories with her.

She needs to to go.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Stock market soaring! Must be the possibility of a different approach to this Brexit loonacy.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Stock market soaring! Must be the possibility of a different approach to this Brexit loonacy.

Very interesting.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MikeL said:

Reports must then be laid before Parliament - and they are certain to be voted against as DUP will say no.
    NI special case. Split the vote on that from the mainland and devolve it to Stormont
    So no "honest broker" in Northern Ireland any more?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

The Moody Blues to Mrs W and W

We've already said "Goodbye"
    Since you gotta go , oh you'd better go
    Go now , go now go now

Hi Mark. Very decent showing for the yellow peril on a slight fall in the share of the vote. Unlucky in 4 tight recounts too !! .... and some other decent second places too.

• Options

Yes, there's definitely an after-effect of the crash here, as there originally was with Brexit, last year.

The new mood is being aimed, scattershot, in different directions - and now it's being aimed behind remain , packed in with the Left vote.
    Nobody in the establishment and nobody of wealth paid for it. Now they must. Take their wealth.
  • Options
    Mr. Fletcher, May is Jovian.

Got the leadership after a previous successful emperor was unexpectedly felled, then turned out to be disastrous.

Conservatives need a Valentinian the Great [sidenote: when petitioners annoyed him he fed them to his bears, Goldflake and Innocent]. He was arguably the last strong Western emperor.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

There's a real danger Labour's new voters don't realise they haven't actually won. The other danger is May not realising she's got no way back. She will go down in history as the PM who ended her own career totally unnecessarily and so suddenly. If history even remembers her

She has been a total disaster. For the next 40 years she will be remembered. After that she'll just be a short footnote in the post EU history of the UK...
  • Options

MikeL said:

Agreed. She called an election to get a larger majority to deal with Brexit, and didn't get it.

Theresa May said nothing about Brexit during the campaign. It still seems more likely the catalyst was the expenses scandal. I don't suppose we'll ever really know.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It's because the £ is down. The market is artificially high because sterling is so weak generally.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Nobody in the establishment and nobody of wealth paid for it. Now they must. Take their wealth.

The top 10% have paid more tax under the Conservatives.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Just passed Owen Jones tweeting on his bike
  • Options

Mr. Max, I'm not talking about temporarily staying in the single market/customs union as part of a phase withdrawal, I'm talking about leaving the EU and permanently being in the single market/customs union.

I have no problem with a long, phased withdrawal.

I doubt that we'd stay in permanently. Again, these options are only popping up now because Theresa May was stupid enough to think that pitching hard Brexit for the 30% of people who were up for it plus 15-17% of the Tories would back her regardless was a good idea. We needed and still need Brexit for the 60%.
  • Options

The top 10% have paid more tax under the Conservatives.

Not enough
  • Options

Theresa hanging around would lead to her ratings plummeting into Francois Hollande territory.

She needs to to go.

LOL it's hilarious that everytime the public was exposed to her more her ratings crashed. All the marginal constituencies she visited rejected her party LMAO :lol:
  • Options
    Charles said:

MikeL said:

Not sure if that would need Primary legislation.

Procedure for laying before Parliament is already laid down in law.

And I THINK it's one vote on all four BC reports at once.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I won't be surprised to see farron step down although it will be his decision rather than pressure, why?
    There are several options to take over who he knows are better, he's realized that his personal belief real or perceived are an issu, his heart is in westmorland and I think he knows it's what's best for the party. He might not beat may to be first but you saw it here first.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    eek said:

She has been a total disaster. For the next 40 years she will be remembered. After that she'll just be a short footnote in the post EU history of the UK...
    She still got 44% of the vote, election stats nerds will record that as the best since Blair even though Corbyn made the biggest gains
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

She needs to to go.

Will Osborne en Marche?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Just weak sterling pushing up shares which report in USD and EUR.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    The young have finally learned that voting counts.

They may also be about to learn that taking bribes has a cost. And not only to the top five percent as they have been led to believe.

• Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    When the dust settles May will be remembered as the PM who shot herself so spectacularly in both feet. Looking forward to the Sunday papers and the behind the scenes tales.
  • Options
    Actually I support Theresa May continuing as PM/Tory leader.

Gives George time to find a seat and become an MP and fulfill his destiny to be Prime Minister
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

She needs to to go.

Will Osborne en Marche?
    Into Maidenhead? Let's hope he can be convinced.
  • Options
    I'm absolutely furious this morning lol.
    I'm for taking down the establishment and watching it burn. Arse holes
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    JackW said:

The Moody Blues to Mrs W and W

We've already said "Goodbye"
    Since you gotta go , oh you'd better go
    Go now , go now go now

Hi Mark. Very decent showing for the yellow peril on a slight fall in the share of the vote. Unlucky in 4 tight recounts too !! .... and some other decent second places too.

Ha Ha Ha
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Corbyn amd McDonnell indulging in some high-level brinksmanship!
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Hopefully after this result the Tories will stop ignoring the 48% who voted Remain and the entire population who are aged under 35

Why? If they had ignored the 52% they wouldn't be anywhere near the voteshare they have.

Under 35s though (and everybody else being ****ed over by the present system), totally. However the reality is I suspect we will see a Corbyn government before they finally grasp that.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Pulpstar said:

Worst bets: All the Tory overs & the ~ £700 I had on Vale of Clwyd and Gower to win ~ £150

Best bet: Ynys Mons ~ £70 @ 12-1

Cheers for the big hint about Labour in East Lothian! 365 only let me get £25 on Ynys Mon.
  • Options
    England Vote:

CON 45.5
    LAB 42.0
    LD 7.7
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Dadge said:

Just making hay whilst the sun shines for them.
  • Options
    Can't believe I'm sitting here agreeing with all of what McDonnell is saying right now (on the Beeb).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Can the Tories really work with the DUP? Concerning.

Of course that is what the electorate have given us and Major managed it for years
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    A new dawn has broken, has it not?

It looks like May has handcuffed herself to a radiator inside No. 10. Time to go Tezzie.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, an Osborne-Blair, non-crazy PLP en Marche type party could do very well.

But, Corbyn had gains. The PLP really need to be pushed to find any kind of spine. They won't leave now.
  • Options

She needs to to go.

LOL it's hilarious that everytime the public was exposed to her more her ratings crashed. All the marginal constituencies she visited rejected her party LMAO :lol:
    When May had the sky high ratings it was because people liked the image they had of her.

But that image was different to the reality.

When she got closer inspection the reality was revealed.

And the reality wasn't as popular.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Am I missing something or does Jeremy Corbyn think he has won? May not winning is not the same as Corbyn having won. He is talking about forming a government? How is that even mathematically possible?!
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    edited June 2017
    Dadge said:

They are ready to serve with 261 seats
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    McDonnell being very cheeky here.

He knows that if Corbyn can become PM with a Minority Govt they'll then be placed to go for another GE and get a majority.

That's why Con has to stop them - which is why May stays as PM for now.

Open question as to whether Con change leader in due course - but a Con PM has to stay in Downing Street.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MikeL said:

The fundamental question for the Conservative Party is whether they still want the new boundaries. Forget the high-minded fictions about the need to save 50 MPs' salaries, the motivating factor was that the existing system was seen to be biased against the Tories but we've now found that is not true since the Conservative vote distribution has become more efficient and the party is again competitive in Wales and Scotland.
  • Options
    I feel fairly vindicated by the result, even if I fear for the future. Most posters were downplaying Farron, whilst I said he might start their recovery. 'Brexit means brexit' has proved unpopular, and Corbyn has shown his sheer sitckability.

In fact, one lesson from this is that Corbyn's an impressive political operator.
  • Options
    Labour winning the 'broadcast war' this morning in the same way they dominated the campaign.

Where the hell are the Tory voices to push their narrative?!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Will Kensington go on with recounts after recounts until next GE?

Is Tower Hamlets feeling jealous because we aren't waiting for them this time?
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Am I missing something or does Jeremy Corbyn think he has won? May not winning is not the same as Corbyn having won. He is talking about forming a government? How is that even mathematically possible?!

It's not, but he's just making trouble for the tories, and making themas uncomfortable as possible.

I really think now, we need to put a cooler on Brexit.
  • Options

Labour winning the 'broadcast war' this morning in the same way they dominated the campaign.

What narrative?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    They are asking how the Tories can do a deal with a Party which believes the world is less than 10,000 years old? The DUP aren't Orthodox Jews are they?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I see skies of blue and clouds of white
    The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
    And I think to myself what a wonderful world.
  • Options
    Last plug for the 2017 GE cryptic crossword https://dadge.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/general-election-cryptic-crossword/ Answers later.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Gives George time to find a seat and become an MP and fulfill his destiny to be Prime Minister

The absolute priority now is ensuring the softest possible Brexit - one that does not imperil the country's economy or remove long-held rights enjoyed by UK citizens. The Tories must start to put the country first. If they do that, it will also help them. Please, no more kow-towing to the right wing press. Last night showed that its power is very strictly limited. The Daily Mail and the Sun can no longer be allowed to write the political agenda. Their job is to report it.

• Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    McDonnell's having a laugh. I'm impressed that he managed to keep a straight face during that interview.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Tories used to like weak Sterling. Not today.
  • Options

If you think Osborne is the answer to stopping Corbyn you are asking the wrong question, Boris and Davidson are who the party needs, the electorate voted as much against continued austerity as May's social care plans
  • Options

And what does he do as PM ?

Increase student fees ?
    Increase house prices ?
    Borrow more money to spend on vanity projects ?

I've asked this of Osborne fans multiple times and I've never received an answer.

So what would PM George Osborne do differently ?
  • Options

Charles said:

MikeL said:

So no "honest broker" in Northern Ireland any more?
    I didn't say it was a *good* plan :wink:

(But it is outrageous we are still voting based on 2001 boundaries. There needs to be a change to stop self interested politicians voting updates down)
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Increase student fees ?
    Increase house prices ?

I've asked this of Osborne fans multiple times and I've never received an answer.

The public hate him. He could maybe do a job behind the scenes though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If you think Osborne is the answer to stopping Corbyn you are asking the wrong question, Boris and Davidson are who the party needs, the electorate voted as much against continued austerity as May's social care plans
    God no, not Boris.

People don't want the b-team's underperforming jester.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Tories used to like weak Sterling. Not today.
    I do.

We need to rebalance the economy and that's the only way its going to happen.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    If the DUP won't countenance special status for Northern Ireland in the EU, and they won't countenance a hard border with Ireland, then the cost of a deal will have to be that we forget any idea of leaving the single market and customs union.
  • Options

She needs to to go.

Not quite, the Tories won Middlesbrough and Mansfield and every Scottish seat May visited
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123

May and her advisors are in their bunker wondering at what level to set the energy price cap at.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
    The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
    And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

Seemed a harmless little fuck
    But we unleashed a lion
    Gnashed his teeth

And bit the recessed lady's breast
    How could I forget
    He hit me with a surprise left
    My jaw left hurting

Dropped wide open
    Just like the day
    Like the day I heard
    Daddy didn't give affection

And the boy was something mommy wouldn't wear
    King Jeremy the wicked
    Ruled his world
    Jeremy spoke in class today
    Jeremy spoke in class today
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    For the first time in a GE, I was a NOTA, although I didn't expect it to come to pass. Juncker will be pleased and the EU will ensure it is either a hard Brexit, or a Brexit in name only.

Had Brexit been the largest factor, the LDs would have done much better. A combination of The Grey Mist's incompetence combined with that 'manifesto', Jezza being on his best behaviour, and a lovely bribe to the young (nearly half go to university) has changed things dramatically.

The Tories need a new face, preferably a young one, to contrast with Jezza. I don't know the Tory party well enough to guess, but I think Mr Eagles' mate has burned his bridges .

• Options
    Brom said:

Increase student fees ?
    Increase house prices ?

The public hate him. He could maybe do a job behind the scenes though
    What job though ?

Nobody is able to say what he would do differently.
  • Options
    chloe said:

Dadge said:

They are ready to serve with 261 seats
    Given who they are I suppose they aren't kidding. But the reality of such a govt is pretty frightening. The obvious technique to pressurise opponents to let their programme through would be street protests. That couldn't end well.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

She still got 44% of the vote, election stats nerds will record that as the best since Blair even though Corbyn made the biggest gains
    Currently on 42.4%
  • Options
    The demand from the public is pretty clear that they now want more investment in public services. If the tories don't do that, and they can, then labour will.

Better for the tories to do responsibly than labour to do it and wreck the economy.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Shows how poor a politician Osborne is. If he were still MP for Tatton, he would now be sporting a shark's grin a mile wide....

Bu he left Westminster to do a paper round instead.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

She needs to to go.

Not quite, the Tories won Middlesbrough and Mansfield and every Scottish seat May visited
    May visited Edinburgh North and Leith and Edinburgh South West.
  • Options
    Roger said:

They are asking how the Tories can do a deal with a Party which believes the world is less than 10,000 years old? The DUP aren't Orthodox Jews are they?

Just on my way to Ireland. Will let you know when I get back :smile:
  • Options

Dimbleby said that Boris, Hammond and Davis have all declined BBC requests. The blunt truth is there are a lot of senior Conservatives with their eye on an imminent leadership election.
This discussion has been closed.