Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the new politics where the young ones actually turn

Comments

• Options
    What's the rule of the "next leader to leave" market? Do they take into account the time of reisgnation or the election of a successor?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    What does the Tory performance in actual votes look like, compared to previous elections? Must be pretty high? If so, Tory problem wasn't persuading people to vote Tory, it was persuading non-voters not to vote Labour.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    If Con win three of five that's 317

Con 317 + DUP 10 = 327

Opposition 316

Total 343 exc SF

Majority 11
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Lib Dems significantly out performing expectations. At least 12 seats and could have been 15 with a little more luck in Richmond, Ceredigion and Fife NE
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Let Corbyn reign.

The people want change. That's obvious from Brexit and this election, even if the idiots screeching for change over the EU did not realise it.

Let him fuck up. The alternative is to let a wounded Conservative party fester on like a particularly odorous zombie.

Oh, and let the Brexiteers who are rucking off or have resources abroad - like MaxPB, Charles and sadly RCS - pay the consequences of their folly.

So many people need to look up the definition of 'conservative'.

Excuse me, but that was rather uncalled for.
    Nah, not really. You're mostly insulated from the shit that's about to fall on us.

Witness the 200 million you were willing seen spent on the Garden Bridge to help the local poor urchins (ahem). You'll just piss off abroad; and even if you do not, you can afford the tax advisers to ensure you and your kids are sorted.

I cannot. I'll pay for your folly.
    No, I won't. And we don't tax plan: we have a moral obligation to pay what society asks and to tithe as well.

Get some sleep. This kind of personalised bitchiness is not doing you any favours
    Are you denying what I'm saying? Will you suffer in reality if it all goes tits-up?

I.e. will you have to start looking at the prices on the bread?

No. You are insulated, whatever 'society asks' .
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312

What seems so bizarre about this result is that Labour didn't even appear to be trying to hold seats like Ilford. Yet they romped home

Sunil will know more about the whole campaign but it was reported that David Miliband was on the ground in Ilford North yesterday.
    They were busy knocking on doors on Thursday evening as I walked to the polling station. But for the first time, I saw some Tory knocker-uppers too!
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Zac back and crack on regardless....

Full chronology including by-election would be "sacked, back and crack on"
  • Options

Pauly said:

MikeL said:

Zak - what a farce - but every seat is vitally important so it's a serious farce.

The Conservatives would be much better off without Zac.
    Utter nonsense. A great constituency MP, pro-brexit, green on the inside blue on the outside, very socially liberal. He's basically a eurosceptic Cameroon.
    He called a totally unnecessary by-election. A but like Davis.
    I don't see the resentment towards Zac. He said that if Heathrow went ahead, he'd resign - presumably this was a selling point in his original campaign. On that basis, he couldn't very well weasel out of it. Well, he could, but the fact that he didn't is to his credit, surely?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Andrew Neil is even more fiery than usual when the BBC forces him into action at 7.25 a.m.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Polruan said:

LOL!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    The Democratic Unionists would have to actively vote against the Tories in the Commons in order to defeat them. If they abstain the Tories have a majority, assuming the 7 Sinn Fein MPs don't take their seats.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Zac by 45...

Huge unassailable majority
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    So with 7 Shinners, makes Parliament effectively 643.

643 divided by two and rounded up is 322.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

Lib Dems significantly out performing expectations. At least 12 seats and could have been 15 with a little more luck in Richmond, Ceredigion and Fife NE

2nd worst result in their history.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

What does the Tory performance in actual votes look like, compared to previous elections? Must be pretty high? If so, Tory problem wasn't persuading people to vote Tory, it was persuading non-voters not to vote Labour.

Just checked: Tory vote in 2017 in 2million up on that in 2015.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

It's by far their best result since 1992.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    I've decide the British electorate are like Andy from Little Britain's Lou and Andy.

"Want that one"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah..... [pause] Don't like it"

What a kerfuffle......
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Dadge said:

Andrew Neil is even more fiery than usual when the BBC forces him into action at 7.25 a.m.

He has no interest in letting anyone finish a sentence.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    AndyJS said:

The Democratic Unionists would have to actively vote against the Tories in the Commons in order to defeat them. If they abstain the Tories have a majority, assuming the 7 Sinn Fein MPs don't take their seats.

Last 5 seats absolutely critical - they really must get 3 of them for an effective majority of 11.

Otherwise they'll be at massive risk of losing by-elections.

Thanet South by-election possible for starters.
  • Options

I've decide the British electorate are like Andy from Little Britain's Lou and Andy.

"Want that one"

"Are you sure?"

What a kerfuffle......

No. You just don't like the British electorate's decision. The Conservatives under May have totally fucked up.
  • Options

And their worst vote share ever
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Better!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

This is probably going to be the third highest Tory vote ever, after 1992 and 1987.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Politically it's best for the Tories to hand over power to the "progressive alliance" and watch them cock it up. Not good for the country though.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Correct - and at this minute they are on 314 + 10 = 324!

Five absolutely critical seats to go.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Morning all

Two Cons on BBC and already they are fighting like cats in a sack.

• Options
    MikeL said:

Con 317 + DUP 10 = 327

Opposition 316

Total 343 exc SF

Majority 11

DUP aren't going to let Corbyn and McDonnell anywhere near the levers of power.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    Happy to say I got this completely wrong, all a bit of a mess now.

My concern now is what happens with Brexit.

I would imagine Cameron and Osborne have a spring in their step
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    St Ives result:

Con 22,120
    LD 21,808
    Lab 7,298
  • Options

MikeL said:

Con 317 + DUP 10 = 327

Opposition 316

Total 343 exc SF

Majority 11

No they're not, but they can still happily knock back specific legislation that the Tories put forward.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Looks like Conservatives are going to squeak an effective majority after Sinn Fein excluded
  • Options
    May 'no intention of resigning'
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Oh dear. Theresa just go you silly woman.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Con Hold St Ives. Close !
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

St Ives result:

Con 22,120
    LD 21,808

Shame, another narrow miss for the LDs
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    McDonnell calls for the LibDems and Greens to back Labour so they can form a minority government. Maths is clearly not his strong point. Good job no-one thinks he should be CoE...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

May 'no intention of resigning'

Interesting times...
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    May ought to go she has lost all credibility, hanging on will be disastrous.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

St Ives result:

Con 22,120
    LD 21,808
    Lab 7,298

Crucial win.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.
  • Options

Happy to say I got this completely wrong, all a bit of a mess now.

My concern now is what happens with Brexit.

I would imagine Cameron and Osborne have a spring in their step

I imagine they're devastated, although like many of us are trying to make a good thing out of a sh*t sandwich.
  • Options
    I think the Tories have missed an overall majority by a tiny number of votes in about 7 seats. Of course you can look at it the other way and focus on the seats they just managed to hold like Richmond Park.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

+1
  • Options

MikeL said:

Con 317 + DUP 10 = 327

Opposition 316

Total 343 exc SF

Majority 11

Hardly what the Tories were hoping for though. The DUP will want a soft Brexit in return for their support
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Con 317 + DUP 10 = 327

Opposition 316

Total 343 exc SF

Majority 11

Yes there's no doubt that the Tories can form a government. But what can that government get done? Especially on devolved matters.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Good morning all.

Yesterday I spoiled my ballot paper for the first time in my life. To paraphrase the Simpsons: Worst. Campaign. Ever.

Poor Britain. It needs a great leader and we have a choice between May and Corbyn.
  • Options
    Where are the final seats ?
  • Options

"Want that one"

"Are you sure?"

What a kerfuffle......

No. You just don't like the British electorate's decision. The Conservatives under May have totally fucked up.
    Well of course I don't like their decision! But you can't deny the voters are somewhat fickle. Vote for Cameron. Then bugger up Cameron with Brexit. Then bugger up May when she implements Brexit.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

Still outperformed (some) expectations!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cornwall, mostly.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    AndyJS said:

I think the Tories have missed an overall majority by a tiny number of votes in about 7 seats. Of course you can look at it the other way and focus on the seats they just managed to hold like Richmond Park.

Look at where I was brought up in North Staffs and South Cheshire - Crewe 48, Newcastle under Lyme 30. Incredible!
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    BBC- TMay has no intention of resigning.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    Dadge said:

MikeL said:

Con 317 + DUP 10 = 327

Opposition 316

Total 343 exc SF

Majority 11

Yes there's no doubt that the Tories can form a government. But what can that government get done? Especially on devolved matters.
    On devolved matters?

It would have a clear majority under the EVFEL mechanism.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I cannot believe Theresa May is going to squat in No.10.

She should resign if she has any honour. She lost an election she called. The public don't have confidence in her. End of story.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    May not resigning but working in a very different way to craft a consensus for a soft Brexit would be the optimum for the country... also bring back the cross party approach on social care and drop the grammar school crap and it might just work...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Cookie said:

This is probably going to be the third highest Tory vote ever, after 1992 and 1987.
    Yes - with a handful of seats left to go, Conservative vote total now higher than Labour's in 1997.
    FPTP is a strange beast.
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142
    Is the number of results with v small majorities unusual? Seems to be a lot.

Licking my wounds betting-wise. Amongst the killers for me that last PC win. Plus the number of LDs.

Anyway congrats to Mike Smithson on that Con Seats sell (393 was it), to those responsible for the exit poll and to TSE for running the site overnight.
  • Options
    Why would it be in the interests of the Tory Party for May to resign now. If she can get to 319 then the Conservatives are safe for the immediate future. She can go on for a couple of years and then the Conservative party can have a proper leadership campaign to replace her if things don't improve. Replacing the leader from among the MPs without a proper contest would be a disaster, and could lead to an election within 6 months (before the new boundaries have come in).
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    houndtang said:

So who would take over? It wouldn't be Corbyn. He wouldn't be able to win a vote of confidence in the Commons. It would have to be a Conservative. Unless there is another coronation, that would plunge the country into several months of uncertainty just as Brexit negotiations start.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

I'm sure she'll go within a few months.

Steady ship, then resign as party leader, remain as PM whilst new leader chosen.
  • Options

BBC- TMay has no intention of resigning.

Oh god, she's going the full Gordon Brown,

The men in grey suits will have called by the end of the day and prized her out by her fingernails.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Con 317 + DUP 10 = 327

Opposition 316

Total 343 exc SF

Majority 11

Hardly what the Tories were hoping for though. The DUP will want a soft Brexit in return for their support
    The issue of the NI/Republic border is going to be taking up about 90% of the time of the Brexit team. Hardly ideal. And yes, they will be wanting a soft Brexit to implement what is best for NI.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Cornwall, mostly.
    I have £500 on North Cornwall so I'm hoping for no shocks there !
  • Options
    Narrow Tory misses:

Perth & North Perthshire: 21 votes.
    Dudley North: 22 votes.
    Newcastle-under-Lyme: 30 votes.
    Crewe & Nantwich: 48 votes.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Rexel56 said:

May not resigning but working in a very different way to craft a consensus for a soft Brexit would be the optimum for the country... also bring back the cross party approach on social care and drop the grammar school crap and it might just work...

Hear hear - I voted Leave, UKIP in 2015. This is the right approach. Let Corbyn try to enforce CND and mandatory deselections at conference. The polls will do the rest.
    Finally and most importantly - cling on for the full 5 year term. Essential for debt reduction, reducing rail subsidies, coal phaseout, etc. etc.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

Still outperformed (some) expectations!
    Up against hard brexit Tories and Jeremy Corbyn? Remain is dead in the water.
  • Options
    ScarfNZScarfNZ Posts: 29
    OUT said:
    Wait for the U-turn!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    One particular group has been conspicuous by their absence here...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

SCON now have more MPs than SLAB and SLD combined for the first time since 1931

It looks like they were able to convince, wrongly, in many cases, that they were the best placed party to displace the SNP. This worked against Labour and Lib Dems in seats they would otherwise have won. The SNP were lucky not to lose more seats.
  • Options

"Want that one"

"Are you sure?"

What a kerfuffle......

Well of course I don't like their decision! But you can't deny the voters are somewhat fickle. Vote for Cameron. Then bugger up Cameron with Brexit. Then bugger up May when she implements Brexit.
    Oh come on. The Europhobes said everything would be better under Brexit; even things that are not in the purview of the EU. That isn't going to be delivered, basically because most of the problems are our responsibility, and the failures are ours.

The europhobes are utterly responsible for this. They had winners on their side, and they replace them with the B-reserve team, who were taken to a draw by Accrington Stanley.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Narrow Tory misses:

What about close wins?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Narrow Tory misses:

3 narrow losses for the Lib Dems too. MI5 at work?
  • Options
    Labour candidate has declared victory in Kensington.

If confirmed, final count is 318 seats for the Tories.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Rexel56 said:

Hear hear - I voted Leave, UKIP in 2015. This is the right approach. Let Corbyn try to enforce CND and mandatory deselections at conference. The polls will do the rest.
    Finally and most importantly - cling on for the full 5 year term. Essential for debt reduction, reducing rail subsidies, coal phaseout, etc. etc.
    That all sounds very good, but does she have the authority to do it? I am all for this kind of approach, I just worry her party is not behind her.
  • Options
    OUT said:
    Weak and unstable on Brexit.

God help those of us trapped in the UK.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298

MikeL said:

Con 317 + DUP 10 = 327

Opposition 316

Total 343 exc SF

Majority 11

The issue of the NI/Republic border is going to be taking up about 90% of the time of the Brexit team. Hardly ideal. And yes, they will be wanting a soft Brexit to implement what is best for NI.
    isnt stormont a crisis waiting to erupt too?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    MikeL said:

Scotland vote share:

SNP 37
    Con 29
    Lab 27
    LD 7

Independence looks finished.

Bollox
  • Options
    Which dribbling moron claimed Witney had gone LD?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    edited June 2017
    Morning, everyone.

Running through the results. In betting terms, England poor to dire, Scotland super, overall numbers good for Lib Dems/UKIP, bad for the Conservatives.

Glad the Lib Dems got 12 because I backed them to be over 11.5 at 1.83.

Got up at half four or so to see how things were going. Saw the winner's speech of the chap who beat Salmond, so that was something.

Trying to see the positives of such a hopelessly Hung Parliament. Maybe we'll be spared the economic insanity of Corbyn and the authoritarian meddling of May.

Commiserations to Mr. Price, whose efforts were undone by the insanity of Timothy/May.

Edited extra bit: frustrated that the Lib Dems managed to win Westmorland by a tiny margin but lose Richmond Park likewise. The other way around would've been much better.

Think I'm ahead overall. Thanks everyone for the tips, particularly Mr. Putney and Mr. Pulpstar.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    How many seats did Labour win in Scotland?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Now three in Cornwall + Kensington.

Con now on 315.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

AndyJS said:

Narrow Tory misses:

What about close wins?
    Richmond Park is the one that springs to mind. There are a few others but I can't remember them at the moment. Time for a bit of rest.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Lol - one wonders where some of the more outlandish rumours came from last night.
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    Dadge said:

Charles said:

Let Corbyn reign.

The people want change. That's obvious from Brexit and this election, even if the idiots screeching for change over the EU did not realise it.

Let him fuck up. The alternative is to let a wounded Conservative party fester on like a particularly odorous zombie.

Oh, and let the Brexiteers who are rucking off or have resources abroad - like MaxPB, Charles and sadly RCS - pay the consequences of their folly.

So many people need to look up the definition of 'conservative'.

Excuse me, but that was rather uncalled for.
    Nah, not really. You're mostly insulated from the shit that's about to fall on us.

Witness the 200 million you were willing seen spent on the Garden Bridge to help the local poor urchins (ahem). You'll just piss off abroad; and even if you do not, you can afford the tax advisers to ensure you and your kids are sorted.

I cannot. I'll pay for your folly.
    JJ's putting it more strongly than I would, but the arrogant underestimate how much they are resented.
    And you guys were worried about abuse from Momentum
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

AndyJS said:

Narrow Tory misses:

What about close wins?
    Richmond Park is the one that springs to mind. There are a few others but I can't remember them at the moment. Time for a bit of rest.
    Thanks for all your work - I think Con had some other wins by under 100.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Will Theresa May announce she is going to build a wall and the Republic of Ireland will pay for it?
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    They like a bribe - but they aint going to get it
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Hard to tell, it's been a waterfall of dribbles since 10pm last night.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Pauly said:

Rexel56 said:

That all sounds very good, but does she have the authority to do it? I am all for this kind of approach, I just worry her party is not behind her.
    It is a risk. If I was May I'd sack my two special advisors and replace them with an advisory council of tory elders [Ken Clarke, John Redwood, 1922 Chair, Oliver Letwin, ...]
    A clear admission of campaign failure but a lesson learned.
  • Options

Scotland seats:

SNP 35
    Con 13
    Lab 7
    LD 4
  • Options

Scottish Tories 13, LibDems 4.
  • Options
    TM is toast regardless.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    BBC says there'll be another recount in Kensington later today. But Labour candidate confident.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

AndyJS said:

St Ives result:

Con 22,120
    LD 21,808
    Lab 7,298

Crucial win.
    I think that's what's called in golf "laying up", ready for the autumn election.
  • Options
    PB Myths busted last night

- ICM are the gold standard
    - 18-24 year olds don't vote
    - All UKIP voters are Tories on holiday
    - Lynton Crosby knows what he's doing
    - The electorate wants Hard Brexit
This discussion has been closed.